Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11786514 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15153) (15154) (15155) (15156) (15157) (15158) (15159) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Rohr had Mikel, an inform Etebo, Iwobi and an Inform "EPL" Ndidi. That midfield wasn't as abysmal as this one. Rohr's SE in the WCQs leading to Russia 2018 saw our midfield contribute insanely to the best of football that we played.
At Afcon 2019, Iwobi, Ndidi, Etebo did their best despite certain limitations but most certainly wasn't as abysmal as the 2 man midfield setup Peseiro insists on for most games.

But hey, it's the Afcon and Nigeria has a reputation at the Afcon. We almost always get past the group stages without much wahala and we go far. It didn't happen at the last Afcon. Let's hope this will be different especially if we have a Fit Osimhen back.

Osimhen is one of the key determinants to how far this team will go. Osimhen and the GK, Uzoho more than anyone else most likely. Not to say a few others aren't also key but I pick these two as the most key.

Time will tell.

I was talking of AFCON 2019.

Mikel was almost our opponent in the first game against Burundi. Our major test against Cameroon there was no midfield inspiration even though we played 3 men, it came down to thy will be done [thank God it was grin]. Rohr overachieved in that tournament imo.

Anyway, see us see AFCON. It would surprise me if for anything we don't make the last four.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2023
Marjoribanks:
I watched several African qualifying matches.
My observation:
Ivory coast has a solid team.
Egypt (Solid team) outplayed Algeria and could have won despite playing almost an hour with 10 men.

These two teams in my opinion will be our biggest threat to winning the AFCON.

Super Eagles:
I watched us dominate and outplayed two very decent team this past weekend.
Limiting the two teams combine to just 3 shots on target from open play.
We could have scored 6 against Saudi and 7 against Mozambique if we really wanted it.
The way we responded after going behind should tell you that!

The Super Eagles is so formidable that even our bench could have totally obliterate Mozambique in the first half alone.

Our first 15 players will be a nightmare for any team on the African continent going by what I saw this past week.
If we solve the goalkeeping issues, I will put my bet on the Super Eagles to win AFCON[/].

This is one of the few times I witness a Super Eagles 2nd eleven outplayed decent opponents in friendlies.
November will be fun!
The Super Eagles is just a few players away from a world class team.

😮 😕😕 The same Super Eagles we're talking about here? With horrible GK and a bad coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2023
Marjoribanks:
If this is true then why couldn't you comprehend simple 4 line sentence before making a disrespectful remark or you thought I did not see it.

I said our opponents had 3 shots at goal "from open play".
That Olodo Mostob said how did we concede 4 goals then.

Is the phrase "from open play" so hard to comprehend even for you, Mujtahida that made you make that disrespectful statement?!!
My statement was even in jest. And it was directed at your entire analysis and even stretches beyond that specific analysis to your disposition towards the team.

You believe so much in the team (which is fine). My point is that regardless of our optimism, certain criticisms are justified.

Your great believe in the team makes you combative but there's no need for that. Seriously. Like AndSunGorilla said, this place na our virtual hang out spot. We play, talk, laugh and go.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:58pm On Oct 17, 2023
I miss times like this.... 🤣🤣

Darkelf/Blueelf: "Osimhen will flop today. He won't see shot on target not to mention scoring"

Osimhen after the match:

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:59pm On Oct 17, 2023
Odunayaw:
Maybe I am the meek type.

1. Please can you point scenarios that proves beyond any doubt that our team is full of selfishness & self glorification.

Are we confusing poor decision making with self glorification?

2. His other point about nonchalance being rewarded. Pray tell, how is that so?

Even in this set of friendly two of the major culprits (including the Chukwueze) was benched after a dismal performance. How is that a reward?

I remember the match against Portugal, same Chukwueze was our attacking spark. Is the coach now a clairvoyant to see who will blow hot and cold in the next SE game? Will he not select based on club form?

In this friendlies we see positives like almost immediate response after going behind. No celebration. We see good movement of the ball, more chances created AND increase in strings of passes (something we have always wailed for). Again, no appreciation.

How hard is to discuss the faults without pissing on the whole team?
The goals we conceded due to ur GK's errors are enough proofs of nonchalantness. I'm sure you also came across his Snapchat post earlier in which he was not even remorseful. There were instances where the players just looked uninterested and started playing as they like.

That said, there is a thin line between self glorification and poor decision making. We wasted a lot of chances because of this. Players choosing to shoot instead of passing to those better positioned. Nacho, Chukwueze and Dongoyaro were all culprits.

I didn't pull all these out of air. I watched both games and I am sure there are people who noticed same things too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

My statement was even in jest. And it was directed at your entire analysis and even stretches beyond that specific analysis to your disposition towards the team.

You believe so much in the team (which is fine). My point is that regardless of our optimism, certain criticisms are justified.

Your great believe in the team makes you combative but there's no need for that. Seriously. Like AndSunGorilla said, this place na our virtual hang out spot. We play, talk, laugh and go.

Correct my erudite barrister, am waiting to sight your name in the next list of SAN appointees o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:03pm On Oct 17, 2023
Odunayaw:
Olodumare! Genius full this place o
Na old record. Dust don full am 😂😂😂. Would have ignored his jibe sef.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Correct my erudite barrister, am waiting to sight your name in the next list of SAN appointees o.
Hahaha hahaha I thank you for your kind words brotherly. We still putting our shift

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:06pm On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

Why not reply under my post then. If you want to talk to me write to me? Don't disrespect me by posting under a nonentity. My analysis is what I observe and see due to years of experience. If you can't see it move and don't disrespect it by mocking under another person post. Simple!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:14pm On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

Na old record. Dust don full am 😂😂😂. Would have ignored his jibe sef.
😂 if I talk now? Let me just free you this time. You go come find trouble come dey play victim after. You guys have a lot to learn!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 7:14pm On Oct 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

Make Darkelf do come. And there's that other colorful guy who always jeers us as Beer parlor analysts. Can't remember his moniker again.

Afobear and Gustav
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
Danielnino00:

Are you trying to say that Fulham is a bigger club than Rangers and Ajax? 😂

What's the best league in the world ❓

Fulham is in the EPL and Rangers would not necessarily dominate in the English League one at best bottom section of the Championship.

The Eridivise Ditch league is way below the EPL and yes Fulham in the here and now is a better club than Ajax.

However, BIGGER is a different debate with different variables and value themes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
Mikel didn't play much at Afcon 2019. Iwobi, Ndidi, Etebo were the major middle game lads. Already pointed that out plus the fact that the midfield had certain limitations no doubt which were exposed vs Algeria in full.

Vs Cameroun, our flaws also showed but the midfield again tried. Combined we created 6 chances through the midfielders alone. The problem of that midfield was the mismatch in having Ndidi and Etebo as our double pivot. They got into each other's ways several times. Iwobi shone in his CAM role but the double pivot didn't offer him that fluid support due to Etebo and Ndidi not deciding on who would sit at times and who would venture forward.

One of the reasons we went far at Afcon 2019 is due to the effectiveness of our final third weapons thanks to some quick transitions which we took advantage of. Also, Rohr's defensive disposition kinda helped limit opponents although vs Cameroun we made serious mistakes that opened us up.

Ahead of Afcon 2023, time will tell. I only pray we head to the tournament with a fully fit squad. As for the technical crew, they don't inspire much confidence from tactical points of view. A few positives but the negatives still outshine the little positives at this point and that is worrying.

Time, again, will tell.

Odunayaw:
I was talking of AFCON 2019.

Mikel was almost our opponent in the first game against Burundi. Our major test against Cameroon there was no midfield inspiration even though we played 3 men, it came down to thy will be done [thank God it was grin]. Rohr overachieved in that tournament imo.

Anyway, see us see AFCON. It would surprise me if for anything we don't make the last four.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
I miss times like this.... 🤣🤣

Darkelf/Blueelf: "Osimhen will flop today. He won't see shot on target not to mention scoring"

Osimhen after the match:

And then when accosted, he says he is only catching cruise... especially after he goofs.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:25pm On Oct 17, 2023
mostob:
The goals we conceded due to ur GK's errors are enough proofs of nonchalantness. I'm sure you also came across his Snapchat post earlier in which he was not even remorseful. There were instances where the players just looked uninterested and started playing as they like.

That said, there is a thin line between self glorification and poor decision making. We wasted a lot of chances because of this. Players choosing to shoot instead of passing to those better positioned. Nacho, Chukwueze and Dongoyaro were all culprits.

I didn't pull all these out of air. I watched both games and I am sure there are people who noticed same things too.
Snapchat ke.

Boss even in our individual life we have ways of coping with our F ups. And I don't think anyone of us wishes that in those kind of our moments anyone is judgemental. Make we no take this thing too personal.

If you still stand on it that those errors were due to selfishness, me I'm saying these boys I have watched from their first kick in SE have never shown they are glory hunters.

The culprits are loss of concentration and poor decision. We won't pamper it but we shouldn't mislabel it either.

I remember when Aina was a newbie, he often slipped in concentration but today he is a core of the team.

Anyway, make Uzoho and co help us shift. We will call them when they pick form again

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:38pm On Oct 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Francis Uzoho has a message for his biggest critics.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don laff tire.

This is via his Snapchat stories.
What do you think he means by that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:55pm On Oct 17, 2023
komekn:

What's the best league in the world ❓

Fulham is in the EPL and Rangers would not necessarily dominate in the English League one at best bottom section of the Championship.

The Eridivise Ditch league is wZu below the EPL and yes Fulham in the here and now is a better club than Ajax.

However, BIGGER is a different debate with different variables and value themes.

The way you reason issues here isn't much different from that of the typical English media that have sworn their lives to hype anything English football.. if the EPL is the best league in the world, then going by that logic, every team in the EPL is bigger than every team elsewhere.

Whether in the here and now or the there and before, there's no way Fulham is at the level of Ajax..none whatsoever.. By every variables and metrics, Ajax is much bigger than Fulham...

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2023
Danielnino00:

The way you reason issues here isn't much different from that of the typical English media that have sworn their lives to hype anything English football.. if the EPL is the best league in the world, then going by that logic, every team in the EPL is bigger than every team elsewhere.

Whether in the here and now or the there and before, there's no way Fulham is at the level of Ajax..none whatsoever.. By every variables and metrics, Ajax is much bigger than Fulham...

You are too quick to jump to conclusions based on your pre - conceived notions and preferences.

Go back and read my response and take not of the two words which I use to differentiate my response.

There is a differece between BIGGER and BETTER.

In this regard Ajax is BIGGER but not necessarily BETTER than Fulham FC.

For instance by comparison as it stands in the here and now , Crystal palace FC is better than Chelsea and Manchester United but certainly not BIGGER.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19pm On Oct 17, 2023
South Africa parading 6 Mamelodi Sundowns players vs CIV and 2 of them combine for their opening goal vs CIV's stars studded XI

Ouch.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2023
CIV is also parading the same XI as they put out vs Morocco with only one change. Zaha starts this time ahead of Reims' Oumar Diakite.

This is definitely the XI we expect to see CIV parade at the Afcon and in their WCQs games barring last minute changes.

TheSuperNerd:
South Africa parading 6 Mamelodi Sundowns players vs CIV and 2 of them combine for their opening goal vs CIV's stars studded XI

Ouch.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2023
See Liberia's keeper pulling Dé Gea saves

O God of creation direct our noble cause embarassed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:41pm On Oct 17, 2023
One thing dt is giving me d respite about dis team is against African sides most especially d ones we are obviously better Dan, jp team plays possessive and creates loads of chances ,so let c aw it goes in afcon 😎

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 8:47pm On Oct 17, 2023
Peseiro was not aware of Noah Atubolu

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2023
Odunayaw:
See Liberia's keeper pulling Dé Gea saves

O God of creation direct our noble cause embarassed
Nothing Noble about the cause my brother...make we no dey stress God.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 9:12pm On Oct 17, 2023
quickberry:
Big indictment on his part. Unfortunately, people here are more informed about potential players who could represent us than the NFF and out coaching crew. Boniface and Orban should have gotten invites a long time ago but our coaching crew and NFF were probably oblivious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:13pm On Oct 17, 2023
quickberry:
That means Jpes and his crew are not doing their job as expected.

I would have gone under Oma's post and recommend this thread but the bitter leaf analysis Aunty Marjorie is serving us on this thread go chase them away.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Ouch.
That's a clarion call for players like Olisa Ndah, Stanley Nwabili and Amas Obasogie to be given a look in.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:16pm On Oct 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
This here is the problem. Why invite a player clearly still finding form and match sharpness again after a long term injury? The Sadiq Invite was ill-thought and suggests again that Jpes isn't doing a proper job of following our lads.

I literally said the above just yesterday. It is obvious and Oma has inadvertently exposed such.

This thread offers the best scouting, analytical and monitoring network for Nigerian Players and dual nat lads more than the team Peseiro put together as his technical crew. More than the NFF will ever put together outside this thread.

Makes you wonder sometimes what they do. They should be on top of Info like this. Noah isn't even in some obscure league but in a top 5 league yet Jpes and co were unaware. Smh.

quickberry:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:18pm On Oct 17, 2023
I ain't making any clarion call. I am only pointing out what I observed in the SA lineup. And to be fair, if you have been following CAF CL for the past few seasons, you would know Sundowns play some of the best football on the continent at club level. They are one of the top 5 clubs in Africa right now.

AndSunGorilla:

That's a clarion call for players like Olisa Ndah, Stanley Nwabili and Amas Obasogie to be given a look in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 9:21pm On Oct 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
I ain't making any clarion call. I am only pointing out what I observed in the SA lineup. And to be fair, if you have been following CAF CL for the past few seasons, you would know Sundowns play some of the best football on the continent at club level. They are one of the top 5 clubs in Africa right now.

Thanks!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 9:23pm On Oct 17, 2023
mostob:

I would have gone under Oma's post and recommend this thread but the bitter leaf analysis Aunty Marjorie is serving us on this thread go chase them away.
You sef too like trouble, habamana!!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:42pm On Oct 17, 2023
mostob:

I miss Rohr sha by now all the German born nigerians for don meet am one on one

This man Pasiero coach e nor sabi, scout e nor sabi. Only God knows what he is good at

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (15153) (15154) (15155) (15156) (15157) (15158) (15159) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.