Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,346 members, 7,829,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11753020 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15168) (15169) (15170) (15171) (15172) (15173) (15174) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:52pm On Oct 20, 2023
Tessyy1701:

Kelechi or Boniface for me

I appreciate these answers. Seems the majority that have responded prefer Boniface followed by Iheanacho and then Sadiq. No mention of any other striker yet.

But kindly pick one. I know why.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:57pm On Oct 20, 2023
zoboizee:

Qualities highlighted previously of Terem Moffi still remains the best to pair Osimhen. To me, Terem Moffi. He his Strong, Quick, technical, SKillful and left footed. He can operate on both wings and from behind the main striker. Osimhen plays better when he his attacking from the right. He his right footed.

I like the case for Moffi. You make fine points. Their footedness truly offers that double edged approach in terms of shooting angles. I understand why you prefer Moffi.

Looks like Moffi has entered the chat.

Boniface has more of the preference. Iheanacho is next. Sadiq and Moffi with one each. Interesting.

And they all have solid reasons why each should be the one. But I can also tell you, each has demerits as well.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:57pm On Oct 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Guess who the player is?
Paschal Karibe Ojigwe former Abia State sport commissioner and ex eagles international

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by geomustee: 6:57pm On Oct 20, 2023
Striker ratings presently based on present and past from

1. OSIMHEN: PRESSING ABILITY & AERIAL STRENHGT

2. AWONIYI: AWARENESS & HEAVY PRESENCE

3. BONIFACE: SKILLFULL AND MODERATELY TECHNICAL

4. IHEANACHO: FINISHER & DEAD BALL ABILITY

5. MOFFI: SHOOTING ABILITY R2😁 & GREAT BUILDUP PLAY

☑️MY TRUTH 🙏🏾👍🏾

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
Karibe Ojigwe.

charlesemeka85:
Guess who the player is?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
Oh... just seeing this.

Kog45:
Paschal Karibe Ojigwe former Abia State sport commissioner and ex eagles international

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:05pm On Oct 20, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Oh... just seeing this.

Yes one of the ex internationals doing well politically
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:05pm On Oct 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
oga hide your face in shame and rest. ajagun nko? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ajagun career as a black AMF player was successful. From Greece to Eredivisie to Belgium pro league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 7:08pm On Oct 20, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

I appreciate these answers. Seems the majority that have responded prefer Boniface followed by Iheanacho and then Sadiq. No mention of any other striker yet.

But kindly pick one. I know why.
Tough but I will pick Nacho, aside those accurate passes and that bad left foot, he can help the team in set-piece
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:08pm On Oct 20, 2023
mostob:
Why are you scared to say Awoniyi is better than Osimhen then? Just say it so we can arrive at your point and move on.

If Boniface is better than Awoniyi because he is technical then he is better than Osimhen. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:15pm On Oct 20, 2023
Bannedlargedx2:

My guy, this is Boniface first season at the big 4 and he is excelling. Previously, he was at a backwater league and he still excelled. Bro, football isn’t just about statistics you have to watch the entire game and observe a player entire ability rather than view the statistics. For example, frank lampard scored and assisted more goals than Zidane but anyone that watched the two will attest that Zidane was a better footballer. Osimehn is a better Goal scorer than Boniface but Boniface is more Talented IMO

Wack analysis. Simply say Boniface is better than Osimhen. No problem. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:18pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pidginwhisper:
Bonyface Dad
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:24pm On Oct 20, 2023
Forgiveness making a case for Awoniyi and subtly downplaying Boniface and indirectly Osimhen shouldn't push anyone to dislike or hate on Awoniyi.

Awo is still quality. We all know that. So let us not withhold our thoughts on him just because someone is desperately making a case for Awo alone.

I really hope we can get to the level in here, as a house, where no one can make you change your genuine thoughts on a player just because someone talks about that player so much and even goes ahead to water down the quality of other players to make a case for his preference.

I must stress the fact that Awoniyi is a quality number 9 and is one of the few strikers in our striker pool who can actually comfortably lead an attack as a true arrowhead. A true attacking pivot.

But you see, as an attacking partner, he won't fit into the 442 alongside Osimhen. I trust the ball knowledge of this thread has actually grown so much to know that Awo is kinda similar to Osimhen and would attack the same spaces as Osimhen. This is why all who have answered my post haven't picked Awo for that role. It shows you all know ball. Kudos.
For Awo to thrive in such a formation, Osimhen would have to fall to the channels in certain game phases.

In all, let us not allow anyone affect the true thoughts we have on a player. This also applies to Komekn. He talks up a lot of players but him own dey simple - Most times they turn out to be not so good. So him own dey mostly cast😂😂😂😂

In all, it is good to rub mind on the qualities of our players so we know for sure what we have and work with that.

I like honest analytical discussions that generates knowledge and educate others on the profiles of our pool of talents.

Cheers.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2023
Some of these people are so deluded that they think I am supporting a player because he is from a particular region.

Oga! You can never blackmail me to shut my mouth because I present facts.

Stop hidden behind your keyboard and come out plainly to say... I don't rate Awoniyi. Chikena. God no go vex . grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:32pm On Oct 20, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Forgiveness making a case for Awoniyi and subtly downplaying Boniface and indirectly Osimhen shouldn't push anyone to dislike or hate on Awoniyi.

Awo is still quality. We all know that. So let us not withhold our thoughts on him just because someone is desperately making a case for Awo alone.

I really hope we can get to the level in here, as a house, where no one can make you change your genuine thoughts on a player just because someone talks about that player so much and even goes ahead to water down the quality of other players to make a case for his preference.

I must stress the fact that Awoniyi is a quality number 9 and is one of the few strikers in our striker pool who can actually comfortably lead an attack as a true arrowhead. A true attacking pivot.

But you see, as an attacking partner, he won't fit into the 442 alongside Osimhen. I trust the ball knowledge of this thread has actually grown so much to know that Awo is kinda similar to Osimhen and would attack the same spaces as Osimhen. For Awo to thrive in such a formation, Osimhen would have to fall to the channels in certain game phases.

In all, let us not allow anyone affect the true thoughts we have on a player. This also applies to Komekn. He talks up a lot of players but him own dey simple - Most times they turn out to be not so good. So him own dey mostly cast😂😂😂😂

In all, it is good to rub mind on the qualities of our players so we know for sure what we have and work with that.

I like honest analytical discussions that generates knowledge and educate others on the profiles of our pool of talents.

Cheers.

Boniface is not better than Awoniyi for now no matter how you try to sugarcoat it. Leave epistle for Wole Soyinka. grin

Make una dey deceive unaself grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:34pm On Oct 20, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

But you see, as an attacking partner, he won't fit into the 442 alongside Osimhen. I trust the ball knowledge of this thread has actually grown so much to know that Awo is kinda similar to Osimhen and would attack the same spaces as Osimhen. This is why all who have answered my post haven't picked Awo for that role. It shows you all know ball. Kudos.
For Awo to thrive in such a formation, Osimhen would have to fall to the channels in certain game phases.

Cheers.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:38pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kog45:
Oga Mostob I think sometimes we need to go to the beginning of a discourse to know why all these comments.

TheSuperNerd came up with a list and expectedly there would be reactions in a football house…Initially I wanted to ask why not Awo! oh yes Awo is out injured but big question why is Osimhen who is out too but TheSuperNerd had a point cuz he based his list on the last two friendlies,so no way for Awo on the list.

Forgiveness engage TheSuperNerd in a very easy discussion,which I see as opinions but Humility gave a jibe which was going toward tribalism and i said I thought we have outlived this tribalism cancerous.

At the end the jibe became reality.

Now to issue of Boniface,do you agree that Boniface is miles ahead of Awo?and I asked Chris,if Boniface is miles ahead then are you saying he is better than Osimhen?

Miles ahead I will never agree but if one say Boniface is better,cool but all these are what?football talks that must be respected.

Honestly good to have these guys cuz some years ago we only counted on Ighalo and Iheanacho
Elder Kog sir.. This is quite simple.

1. It was Nerdie's list. Anybody can come up with his own list.

2. Awoniyi was not in the equation because he was not available for the last friendlies due to injury.

3. Awoniyi do get his deserved praises her on this thread. Nobody will just put him aside without any reason when the talk about Afcon squad arises here.

4. Humility didn't in anyway mention tribalism. He said something about political talk.

5. The intent of the Forgiveness was well understood by most of us here because it was so glaring.

6. As for who is more technical, this is not done in any way to bring one player down. Since we are using a 2-man strike force, it is highly important that we choose the best pair that is complementary. This is where we dissect each players strength and weaknesses. Nacho, Sadiq and Boniface are quite flexible which set them up in a group. Osimhen and Awoniyi are target men. The 'bullish' ones grin . Tactically, it is not advisable to pair them together since they are quite similar. Saying Boniface and Osimhen is our best pair doesn't put Awo down in anyway. In short, Awoniyi is in competition with Osimhen for that half pair of the twin strike force.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
Wack analysis. grin

Which ball you sabi read? grin

JP no be mugu grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
forgiveness:

Boniface is not better than Awoniyi for now no matter how you try to sugarcoat it. Leave epistle for Wole Soyinka. grin

Make una dey deceive unaself grin

He is not better,but he offers something different with his play of style .I would rada pair both together(boniface/awoniyi) or osimhen/boniface) not (awoniyi/osimhen)..d last pairing didn’t work.

Meanwhile barring any last minute injury,taiwo awoniyi going to d nations cup is as sure as osimhen going too.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:47pm On Oct 20, 2023
zoboizee:

Qualities highlighted previously of Terem Moffi still remains the best to pair Osimhen. To me, Terem Moffi. He his Strong, Quick, technical, SKillful and left footed. He can operate on both wings and from behind the main striker. Osimhen plays better when he his attacking from the right. He his right footed.
Nice analysis sir. However, I think pairing based on strong foot as stated in your last sentence is only done for the central defenders. As for the other qualities you highlighted, Boniface possesses those and currently, he is doing better than Moffi. This is why Boniface is getting the 'raves'.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bannedlargedx2: 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2023
forgiveness:
Some of these people are so deluded that they think I am supporting a player because he is from a particular region.

Stop hidden behind your keyboard and come out plainly to say... I don't rate Awoniyi. Chikena. God no go vex . grin

Football is the only thing in Nigeria that absolutely no one is a tribalist. When it comes to football, everyone in Nigeria just wants the best and anyone from any tribe will be applauded or disrespected if he performs or fails.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kog45:
Sir Chris,are you also implying Boniface is way ahead of Osimhen technically
That argument can certainly be made. Osimhen is a straight pipe like Rashidi Yekini. He's lacking in guile or suaveness. Have you ever seen Osimhen score curlers like Mbappe regularly does?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

I like the case for Moffi. You make fine points. Their footedness truly offers that double edged approach in terms of shooting angles. I understand why you prefer Moffi.

Looks like Moffi has entered the chat.

Boniface has more of the preference. Iheanacho is next. Sadiq and Moffi with one each. Interesting.

And they all have solid reasons why each should be the one. But I can also tell you, each has demerits as well.
Sadiq and Moffi would have been an interesting pair if only Sadiq can be able to perfectly controls his gangly legs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:56pm On Oct 20, 2023
elyte89:

He is not better,but he offers something different with his play of style .I would rada pair both together(boniface/awoniyi) or osimhen/boniface) not (awoniyi/osimhen)..d last pairing didn’t work.

Meanwhile barring any last minute injury,taiwo awoniyi going to d nations cup is as sure as osimhen going too.

Hahahahahahaha! You got the point but from what I observed here, it's not about injury. They believe Awoniyi should jostle for fourth striker slot with other srrikers. Meaning he is not rated. shocked shocked cool grin

I was like, you don't mean it!? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:56pm On Oct 20, 2023
forgiveness:

I'm sorry to say this but the bolded is exactly what you're doing. You were not here when Awoniyi was celebrated here when he was scoring goals. Forest is playing EPL this season partially because of this guy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
I like Awo a whole lot. He has similar playing style with Osimhen but Boniface is more unique because he is a creator, dribbler and a decent finisher

Awo just like Osimhen are the type of strikers you can deploy upfront as a single front man if a coach decides to play a more defensive tactics. Awo and osimhen are good in the air as well as physical enough to muscle and out pace any CB in world football currently. Both are just like ex CIV and Chelsea hitman Didier Drogba and current city goal poacher Haaland

Bony on his part will suit in an attacking formation. He is skillful and good in tight corners, he drops deep to create and switch to the flanks when required. To me this makes him more complete than all the strikers we can boast of currently. He is the type of striker who can unlock the defense of a highly disciplined and defensive side with his skills and creativity

Bony is similar to the likes of Kane,Benzema and to an extend Zlatan etc.
I agree. We don't produce strikers like these guys. Iheanacho would have been like them but then he's not like them. Boniface is.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
Oga is dropping a bait and nobody has agreed to pick it. Why? It may lead to Pro-Boniface vs Pro-Awoniyi which is exactly what most don't want here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Guess who the player is?

Karibe Ojigwe, a defensive midfielder. He once played for Bayer Leverkusen.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2023
I agree. Sadiq's guile and technical nous with a balanced centre of gravity will compliment Moffi's linkman/off-the-last-shoulder traits.

Also it could provide a nice Big Striker-Bigger Striker combo with Sadiq doing the holdups or layoffs for Moffi to latch on to.

But alas... not workable as Sadiq can hardly win aerials or stay on his feet. His hold up also is average if not below. It's sad seeing Sadiq's technical side being let down by his physical side.

mostob:
Sadiq and Moffi would have been an interesting pair if only Sadiq can be able to perfectly controls his gangly legs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2023
I just saw a clip where Osimhen was singing and i was like if this guy no play ball ba confirm musician….Osimhen na street o.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:10pm On Oct 20, 2023
You have refused showing us where someone said Awo is not in Top 6 Naija CFs.

Now I want you to show us where anyone says Awo will jostle for 4th striker slot.

The way you are going about this only exposes your intentions more and more. You should have outgrown this behavior by now to be honest.

forgiveness:

Hahahahahahaha! You got the point but from what I observed here, it's not about injury. They believe Awoniyi should jostle for fourth striker slot with other srrikers. Meaning he is not rated. shocked shocked cool grin

I was like, you don't mean it!? grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2023
mostob:
Oga is dropping a bait and nobody has agreed to pick it. Why? It may lead to Pro-Boniface vs Pro-Awoniyi which is exactly what most don't want here.
The thing is that regardless of what you think is the motive of a commenter, treat his comment from a footballing point of view. If you do, the discussion will proceed as a football discussion.
If you swallow the bait (that's if there's a bait because this is just an assumption on your part) and proceed to tackle the discussion from a political or ethnic point of view, then football will take backstage.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15168) (15169) (15170) (15171) (15172) (15173) (15174) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Kog45(m), Oasis007(m), Amedino99(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.