Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,940 members, 7,841,608 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15468) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11818223 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15465) (15466) (15467) (15468) (15469) (15470) (15471) ... (16224) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 7:45am On Jan 15
What a wonderful morning

Had a blissful rest last night. It's another day to do the Lord's work

We must continue to disabuse blind people of the motion that the SE is a strong team and let them be convinced that they are not getting past the group stage.

Cc afobear, gustav25.

Please my brothers in ministry, we mustn't relent in doing the Lord's work

grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:01am On Jan 15
Saw the highlights from basco. I will say I was impressed with the play. Hoping Alhassan will be fit for the next game. I think we can do something against CIV if the midfield does well again.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:04am On Jan 15
L9lll

So some people think we can beat CIV at home and then by miracle defeat Guinea Bissau who best us in our own home previously?

When I call you people deluded, sometimes I want to feel guilty but then I read another unrealistic take and the guilt disappears

Y'all are deluded for Real. As in, your delusion is even bordering on mental illness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Truidstarr: 8:23am On Jan 15
Blueelf:
L9lll

So some people think we can beat CIV at home and then by miracle defeat Guinea Bissau who best us in our own home previously?

When I call you people deluded, sometimes I want to feel guilty but then I read another unrealistic take and the guilt disappears

Y'all are deluded for Real. As in, your delusion is even bordering on mental illness

šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘ Clap for your selfā€¦.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:30am On Jan 15
Truidstarr:
šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘ Clap for your selfā€¦.
learn to ignore trolls

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Realmrsean: 8:32am On Jan 15
I've made up my mind to enjoy this afcon whether naija do well or not

Gone are the days when I used to restrict my joy when naija no do well for tournaments..

I'm enjoying the afcon so far as every team seems strong and no underdogs

If naija likes make Dem commot group stage.. I must enjoy every match of this afcon cool

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:43am On Jan 15
Papi85:
mk em bring am to his club first šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Like Sunday Mba, Etebo and Oboabona brought it to their clubs.

You think football is always by club alone? Look at our stars struggling against minnows for months now what do you call that?

Well no everyone has football km knowledge.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:47am On Jan 15
COOL10:

I just told you that he created at least three goalscoring chances for his teammates, which they all missed. What else do you want from a CAM?

The number one job of a CAM is to create chances for his teammates, and that's exactly what Iwobi did.

If his teammates had scored, by now, we would have been praising him for his assists. The problem was not Iwobi; the problem was his teammates( Osimhen and co) who failed to score the chances he created for them. Iwobi did well.

Oga Iwobi was average. How many key passes did he make I'm asking.

Look at Alhassan's workrate and agility and that made his presence felt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 8:56am On Jan 15
kendrick9:
Of course. Senegal are the best team in Africa while Egypt apart from Salah have no one else.
Salah is basically the one dragging them through.
I wasn't comparing anyway cause Salah and Osimhen shouldn't even be put in the same conversation.
salah had the opportunity to score in the penalty shootout against Senegal to put his side ahead and he lost it but I'm not seeing you putting the blame of Egypt missing the world cup on salah. Salah dragging Egypt but he did not score a single goal throughout the 2022 wcq. Not in the group stage and not even in the final round.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:56am On Jan 15
AFCON 2023: Player ratings from Super Eaglesā€™ 1-1 draw against Equatorial Guinea
AFCON 2023: Player ratings from Super Eaglesā€™ 1-1 draw against Equatorial Guinea

Iban Salvador broke the deadlock in the 36th minute for Equatorial Guinea before Victor Osimhen responded with a headed goal two minutes later.

The game produced no further goals as both teams played a stalemate. Soccernet.ng rates the performance of the Nigerian players in at the Stade Olympique Ouattara in Ivory Coast.

1. Christian Nwabali 6.5/10: The Chippa United looked calm for most of the game. He claimed his crosses successfully and there was not much he could do when Iban Salvadorā€™s well-placed shot went into the bottom corner.

2. Ola Aina 7/10: The Nottingham Forest full-back looked shaky during the first half jn his defensive duels, but grew into the game as time went on, providing width for the attackers, and nearly scoring for himself, but was denied a goal by Jesus Owono.

3. William Troost Ekong 6.5/10: Captain on the day, Ekong barely put any foot wrong. He commanded the backline properly and was vocal in leading the team.

4. Semi Ajayi 6.5/10: The West Bromwich Albion central defender struggled with the physicality of the game, losing several ground duels, and conceded two corner kicks. On the ball, he was solid, playing progressive passes to aid the teamā€™s build up.

5. Zaidu Sanusi 6.0/10: The Porto full-back was solid defensively and his set piece deliveries werenā€™t bad. He had two chances to score at the opposing end, but fluffed his lines. He had another opportunity to play a final ball to Victor Osimhen, but got caught in two minds. He was replaced by Calvin Bassey towards the end of the game.

6. Frank Onyeka 7/10: The Brentford man put in a good shift, dropping in between the defense and midfield, picking up loose balls and winning the ball back for the team.

7. Yusuf Alhassan 7.2/10: Arguably the biggest revelation from the game, the Antwerp midfielder didnā€™t put a foot wrong on his Super Eagles debut. He was physically strong, and tried several times to get the team going from the midfield. His debut was cut short in the 67th minute after he was stretchered off due to an injury, and was replaced by Joe Ayodele Aribo.

8. Alex Iwobi 6.8/10: Iwobi dazzled in the first twenty minutes, but got less involved as the game went on. He forced a save out of Jesus Owono in the first minute of the game, but couldnā€™t do much after.

9. Ademola Lookman 7.5/10: The Atalanta man switched severally from the right flank to the left, causing the Equitoguinean defense all sorts of trouble. Unlucky to not get a goal himself, he put in his creative side to set up Victor Osimhen for Nigeriaā€™s equalizer.

10. Moses Simon 6/10: The explosive Nantes winger struggled on the right flank. He could barely get any crosses in and the highlight of his game was his shot tipped onto the woodwork by Owono in the first half.

11. Victor Osimhen 7/10: The CAF player of the Year award winner scored Nigeriaā€™s equalizer and caused all sorts of problems for the opposition defence, but was far from his best. His finishing wasnā€™t precise and it cost Nigeria three points, as he had two more chances to put the Super Eagles up, but he just couldnā€™t score.

Substitutes

Joe Aribo 6.5/10: The Southampton midfielder came on for the injured Alhassan Yusuf and created a chance in the late minutes of the game.

Samuel Chukwueze 4.5/10: The right wingerā€™s decision making let him down most times when he came on. He beat his man and got lost on what to do.

Calvin Bassey: Came on to play left back for Sanusi late on, but couldnā€™t do much, same as Bright Osayi-Samuel.

This post was last modified on January 14, 2024 6:00 pm

Subscribe to updates

Adefolahan Guerreiro
NEXTAFCON 2023: Five things we learned from Nigeria Vs Equatorial Guinea clash Ā»
PREVIOUSĀ« Burundi 0-1 Nigeria: Akeroromowei's penalty pushes Falconets closer to FIFA U20 World Cup in Colombia
VIEW COMMENTS

zico
January 14, 2024 at 6:27 pm
nah too dey hail rubish

Powerbyke
January 14, 2024 at 6:56 pm
Osimhen rushes taking his shots,it's not entirely a bad thing but he needs to learn when to get off a shot quickly or go round the keeper or play in a teammate with a better chance at converting a chance,he also needs to learn how to stay inside at times. Chukwueze is a waste of a spot, incapable of using his right leg,loses the ball too often and has no goal scoring instinct

Alani
January 14, 2024 at 9:51 pm
which kind rating be this?? you guys watch the match why are we always sentimental about everything?? aside from the injured AlHassan, and probably Lookman...all the other players are just average, the entire nation believes in Victor Osimeh, and he couldn't bury those chances....no game plan, no transition, iwobi will always go forward when the defense line started a pass, who does he expect to connect the ball for him to the attacker?? wrong Coach

Omotayo
January 14, 2024 at 10:13 pm
Every player wants to score. They need to play as a team heads up. We need to have the 4-4-2 formation instead of the 4-1-4-1. Chuckwueze and Osimhen in front. Iwobi should come in as a sub in the second half thatā€™s how to unleash his potential.
Guys need to be quick with the ball and be less selfish. Goodluck team Nigeria.

Emmanuel Imohi
January 15, 2024 at 12:13 am
With the style of play, if they go beyond first round, they really tried as i don't see them going beyond first round with the style of play

Wilson Okoli
January 15, 2024 at 12:37 am
luck was simply not on our side. In any lucky day Osime would have composed himself and slotted in the second goal. Super Eagles are Known to start any competition badly but improves as the competition advances. I wish them the best

Save
January 15, 2024 at 1:58 am
AlHassan 8.5 ..lookman 6.5...victor 7....iwobi 2....the rest 5.

Merenini Benson
January 15, 2024 at 7:45 am
The super Eagles is yet to fly and learn to play as a team not to be selfish or I must be the one to score but as a team

Leave a Comment

PUBLISHED BY
Adefolahan Guerreiro
TAGS:
AFCON 2023Equatorial GuineaJose PeseiroNigeriaOsimhenSuper Eagles
15 HOURS AGO

RELATED POST
AFCON 2023: Equatorial Guinea vs Nigeria ā€“ Peseiro played his cards, now itā€™s up to the Super Eagles
AFCON 2023: ā€˜We are happy with the pointā€™- Eq. Guinea captain Emilio Nsue reflects on draw against Nigeria
Live Commentary: Nigeria vs Equatorial Guinea ā€“ AFCON 2023

RECENT POSTS
AFCON
AFCON 2023: Equatorial Guinea vs Nigeria ā€“ Peseiro played his cards, now itā€™s up to the Super Eagles
The Super Eagles of Nigeria faced an early setback with a disappointing draw in theirā€¦ Read More

14 mins ago
AFCON
AFCON 2023: ā€˜We are happy with the pointā€™- Eq. Guinea captain Emilio Nsue reflects on draw against Nigeria
The Super Eagles of Nigeria suffered a disappointing draw in their opening AFCON 2023 clashā€¦ Read More

12 hours ago
NEWS
AFCON 2023: ā€œGod gives and God takesā€ ā€“ Jose Peseiro hoping tides turn for Super Eagles against Ivory Coast after Equatorial Guinea draw
Victor Osimhen scored a header from Ademola Lookman's cross to cancel out Iban Salvador's well-placedā€¦ Read More

14 hours ago
NEWS
AFCON 2023: Snubbed Udinese star Okoye throws support for Nigeria as Super Eagles draw with Equatorial Guinea
The former Sparta Rotterdam goalie was snubbed for the continental championship but remains a fanā€¦ Read More

14 hours ago
AFCON
AFCON 2023: Five things we learned from Nigeria Vs Equatorial Guinea clash
The Super Eagles were the favourites to defeat Equatorial Guinea, but they flattered to deceive ā€¦ Read More

15 hours ago
NEWS
Burundi 0-1 Nigeria: Akeroromoweiā€™s penalty pushes Falconets closer to FIFA U20 World Cup in Colombia
The young Nigerian ladies are the most successful African nation at the World Cup, andā€¦ Read More

15 hours ago
All Rights ReservedView Non-AMP Version
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ThunderFireAgba: 8:57am On Jan 15
If you watch the recap of that match with less tension, you'll understand we have the most useless left back in this tournament, both the one that played through the game and the subie who came in for him.
People who saying Iwobi was missing in the game should re-think; he made crucial passes but our forwards couldn't utilized those opportunities on counters.
So far(with the matches already played) the SE has the best defense splitting, attack minded players. Equatorial Guinea were lucky to have escaped the defeat. Kudos to our wasteful strikers.
Iwobi, Lookman, Alhassan, Aina were our outstanding players.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:04am On Jan 15
Blueelf:
L9lll

Everybody has the right to post that's why countering you is unnecessary. I respect you for what you believe but calling people deluded? isn't that extreme? Like you even stylishly called them mentally sick. SMH
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 9:04am On Jan 15
ThunderFireAgba:
If you watch the recap of that match with less tension, you'll understand we have the most useless left back in this tournament, both the one that played through the game and the subie who came in for him.
People who saying Iwobi was missing in the game should re-think; he made crucial passes but our forwards couldn't utilized those opportunities on counters.
So far(with the matches already played) the SE has the best defense splitting, attack minded players. Equatorial Guinea were lucky to have escaped the defeat. Kudos to our wasteful strikers.

This match could have easily been
3-1

A good game...
Hope they grow and blend with faster in the tournament

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 9:11am On Jan 15
There will be eye brows raised if a fit Alhassan is omitted from the invite list going forward.

I believe Nwakali would get his own chance AGAIN at some point but he needs to put in a shift to make it difficult to overlook him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:11am On Jan 15
Blueelf:
L9lll

after they best us on our home soil wetin we do dem on their home soil, wetin we do them for last afconā€¦what do u mean by calling people deluded because dey support the super eaglesā€¦.must everyone hate the super eagles like u and your cohort are doingā€¦so with the dominating football eagles played yesterday you feel they canā€™t challenge CIV?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 9:16am On Jan 15
mostob:
Everybody has the right to post that's why countering you is unnecessary. I respect you for what you believe but calling people deluded? isn't that extreme? Like you even stylishly called them mentally sick. SMH
person wey you for just scroll and pass him post. He once said he is like this because he wants to avoid disappointment but this one don dey pass coping mechanism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:31am On Jan 15
minfelix:

after they best us on our home soil wetin we do dem on their home soil, wetin we do them for last afconā€¦what do u mean by calling people deluded because dey support the super eaglesā€¦.must everyone hate the super eagles like u and your cohort are doingā€¦so with the dominating football eagles played yesterday you feel they canā€™t challenge CIV?

Forget that guy. Na him trade mark be that. It is better you ignore him because his negativity is very toxic.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:35am On Jan 15
Icon4s:

Forget that guy. Na him trade mark be that. It is better you ignore him because his negativity is very toxic.

i have been reading how he trolls but then it doesnā€™t move me, i see his type as those guys who doesnā€™t know anything about footballā€¦they generally see football as win at all cost , more like all those road side agbero i watched football with inside the viewing centre yesterday or worst still those young teenagers who just started supporting club football without football knowledgeā€¦.but how u go jus come and insult people supporting the team as deludedā€¦omo na wa oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:41am On Jan 15
minfelix:

i have been reading how he trolls but then it doesnā€™t move me, i see his type as those guys who doesnā€™t know anything about footballā€¦they generally see football as win at all cost , more like all those road side agbero i watched football with inside the viewing centre yesterday or worst still those young teenagers who just started supporting club football without football knowledgeā€¦.but how u go jus come and insult people supporting the team as deludedā€¦omo na wa oo

grin
Men...he has been like this for ages. Worse still, whenever Nigeria is doing well he hides his head in shame. Truth is I no longer read his posts. That is it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:45am On Jan 15
Icon4s:

grin
Men...he has been like this for ages. Worse still, whenever Nigeria is doing well he hides his head in shame. Truth is I no longer read his posts. That is it.
i wonder how someone will maintain a negative vibe for agesšŸ¤£šŸ¤£ omo people mean
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 9:49am On Jan 15
MetalJigsaw:

This is literally the SECOND OR THIRD time that I'll be answering your question, but you still don't seem to get it.

THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A KEY PASS AND THE CREATION OF A GOALSCORING CHANCE. KEY PASSES CREATE GOALSCORING CHANCES, SO IF I TELL YOU THAT IWOBI CREATED 3 OR 4 GOALSCORING CHANCES FOR HIS TEAMMATES, THEN THAT MEANS HE MADE 3 OR 4 KEY PASSES. HE WOULD HAVE HAD 3 OR 4 ASSISTS IF HIS TEAMMATES HAD SCORED THOSE CHANCES HE CREATED FOR THEM WITH HIS KEY PASSES.

Do you get it now? šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by austineaddy: 10:00am On Jan 15
Blueelf:
What a wonderful morning

Had a blissful rest last night. It's another day to do the Lord's work

We must continue to disabuse blind people of the motion that the SE is a strong team and let them be convinced that they are not getting past the group stage.

Cc afobear, gustav25.

Please my brothers in ministry, we mustn't relent in doing the Lord's work

grin cheesy

Rest bro Rest!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:07am On Jan 15
minfelix:

i wonder how someone will maintain a negative vibe for agesšŸ¤£šŸ¤£ omo people mean
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:11am On Jan 15
MetalJigsaw:

Asking how many key passes he made shows you didn't watch the 2nd half
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:12am On Jan 15
Amedino99:
salah had the opportunity to score in the penalty shootout against Senegal to put his side ahead and he lost it but I'm not seeing you putting the blame of Egypt missing the world cup on salah. Salah dragging Egypt but he did not score a single goal throughout the 2022 wcq. Not in the group stage and not even in the final round.
Leave that Ć gbĆ do talk merchant
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:13am On Jan 15
ThunderFireAgba:
Bless you. Both LBs were a sight for frustrated eyes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:13am On Jan 15
mostob:

Okay, I went too far with that one and I apologize

But let's face reality, we are not getting past the group stage. I stand on that mandate

We can't beat CIV and sure as hell may draw at best with guinea Bissau. They are wounded lions backed into a corner at this point and they are thus dangerous
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:20am On Jan 15
You go explain tire
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ThunderFireAgba: 10:21am On Jan 15
I wonder what Jay Jay and Mikel be thinking whenever they see Aribo adorning that number 10 jersey.
FIFA should please do the needful and save Gift Orban for us.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ThunderFireAgba: 10:31am On Jan 15
Even today, if Jay Jay enter pitch my guy will still be giving those killer passes like he never left.
These crop of players should be watching matches of the legends what made SE great. Aghahowa nightmare of defenders( scoringin crucial matches), a rugged and pacy number 9 that never misses any opportunity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:33am On Jan 15
Blueelf:

Okay, I went too far with that one and I apologize

But let's face reality, we are not getting past the group stage. I stand on that mandate

We can't beat CIV and sure as hell may draw at best with guinea Bissau. They are wounded lions backed into a corner at this point and they are thus dangerous
Bros no vex oo i wanna ask, what if we qualify from the group stage? why the thing too sure you like say you know tomorrow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:40am On Jan 15
ThunderFireAgba:
I wonder what Jay Jay and Mikel be thinking whenever they see Aribo adorning that number 10 jersey.
FIFA should please do the needful and save Gift Orban for us.

Everytime I see Aribo in that 10 jersey I feel hot anger in my chest.

That number should be reserved only for players who have proved their mettle as outstanding performers for the national team.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15465) (15466) (15467) (15468) (15469) (15470) (15471) ... (16224) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lebuhsi(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.