Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15704) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11754786 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15701) (15702) (15703) (15704) (15705) (15706) (15707) ... (16183) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 9:29am On Feb 03
ThunderFireAgba:

By evening you will get the gist.
You said they won't play
So please tell us why they won't play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:36am On Feb 03
opes:

The female referee in the match against Guinea Bissau yellow carded Bassey for wasting time for throw-in. Another yellow yesterday again

That was in the group stage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 9:45am On Feb 03
opes:

The female referee in the match against Guinea Bissau yellow carded Bassey for wasting time for throw-in. Another yellow yesterday again
i believe all card's are swipe off after the group stage or the 2nd round if I'm not mistaken.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:46am On Feb 03
countries like Cameroon,Ghana just came to Afcon AN-GO-LA that empty handed

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 9:48am On Feb 03
zicky:
i believe all card's are swipe off after the group stage or the 2nd round if I'm not mistaken.

You are right,it won't count any longer from the knock out stage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:53am On Feb 03
Curtisaxel17:

I kept screaming "Osimhen don tire" at my viewing center sotey people come dey look me somehow. Lol.

Osimhen himself knew he gassed out around the 70-75th minutes and could barely carry himself around the pitch and yet he insisted on staying on and jeopardizing the team's attacking chances.

Even after he was stretchered off and the coach wanted to substitute him, Osimhen used his "big star power" to force the coach to let him back on.

This is very terrible behavior from Osimhen. He probably thinks of himself as the Messiah and main character of the team while in actual fact, he is the most easily replaceable player there. It's not like he has been banging in the goals anyways.

I feel very bad for Moffi and Iheanacho.

oga he didn’t use any big star power, you people should stop looking for a way to rubbish that guy’s patriotism…he cant shut jpes up by refusing substitution…im sure the coach asked if he could continue and he said yea…he did not use any big star power kan kan…shebi dey later substituted him, why didn’t he use the big star power to refuse substitution

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 9:54am On Feb 03
Super Eagles..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:03am On Feb 03
Unlimited22:
E get people wey suppose give chance for this team after this Afcon

Aribo, Ojo, Uzoho, Onuachu, Sadiq Umar suppose clear road small make Ndidi, Okonkwo, Okoye, Boniface and Gift Orban Show face. Taiwo Awoniyi should return too. And we need a left back if we're going to continue playing this formation.

Zaidu Sanusi doesn't have the brains and Calvin Bassey doesn't have the lungs.

This should also be Ahmed Musa's swansong.

Abeg add Nathan Tella and that Luton guy

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:06am On Feb 03
Kog45:
Sir,Ojo and Uzoho should rest and let us see Nwoke who will make Nwabali to sit tight.

Egbon u like this Nwoke guy sha
I think Nwabili performance will likely open more doors for nigeria goal keepers to play in the south Africa league...I hope either of Nwoke, Amas or Osayi gets a deal pull through this year

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Emmy450(m): 10:12am On Feb 03
Curtisaxel17:

I kept screaming "Osimhen don tire" at my viewing center sotey people come dey look me somehow. Lol.

Osimhen himself knew he gassed out around the 70-75th minutes and could barely carry himself around the pitch and yet he insisted on staying on and jeopardizing the team's attacking chances.

Even after he was stretchered off and the coach wanted to substitute him, Osimhen used his "big star power" to force the coach to let him back on.

This is very terrible behavior from Osimhen. He probably thinks of himself as the Messiah and main character of the team while in actual fact, he is the most easily replaceable player there. It's not like he has been banging in the goals anyways.

I feel very bad for Moffi and Iheanacho.
"osimhen the most easily replaceable player" ?

Nawa for you o

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by akwesenana: 10:15am On Feb 03
Emmy450:
"osimhen the most easily replaceable player" ?

Nawa for you o
He's not 'the most' but he's definitely 'one of the most'.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:17am On Feb 03
akwesenana:
Go and replace him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by akwesenana: 10:21am On Feb 03
Samueltemi337:
Go and replace him

What I mean is that he's one of the players the coaching staff wouldn't fret about if he's unavailable. Another is Sanusi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:33am On Feb 03
Marjoribanks:
I just read that it was Ekong that told Paserio to sub off Onyeka cos he is injured.

Not playing his bench is a bit concerning.

If Osayi is injured why not play Musa, Chukwueze and Moffi. They all can play on the wings and add the needed pace.
Why run your first 11 ragged when you have a formidable bench?

I don't get that!

Formidable with old man expired Musa, then Chukwueze ( dribbling plus dribble no end product) Moffi ,l see more as a striker not a winger, but I could be wrong.

The bench is not formidable, too many passengers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:33am On Feb 03
Oboto700:
you guys should be ashamed of yourselves already.. yes.. you were all thinking this team won't win any Match in this tournament..u should be ashamed.. nonsense analysis

You will just have bp for nothing, we had a goal keeping crisis before the tournament and you expect the team to do wonders. Try and be more reasonable and cultured. That people have been proved wrong is not a trophy for you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 10:40am On Feb 03
humility33:

Abeg add Nathan Tella and that Luton guy
Elijah Adebayo àbí?

Yeah, them too. The more the merrier, make all man prove himself

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Emmy450(m): 10:40am On Feb 03
akwesenana:
let me make this clear for you,. Nobody, absolutely no one, can do what osimhen does for the eagles,

The power,the pace, the strength the resilience.

Osimhen draws two to three players to himself thereby opening spaces for players like lookman to score goals..

So rest this matter..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:42am On Feb 03
Kog45:
Hmm 50 times better than Ajayi?

He is better than Ajayi but not as much as that though

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oboto700(m): 10:43am On Feb 03
Goke7:

You will just have bp for nothing, we had a goal keeping crisis before the tournament and you expect the team to do wonders. Try and be more reasonable and cultured. That people have been proved wrong is not a trophy for you
I don't need ur opinion..goal keeping crisis.. even before our game with Cameron you guys never believed in this team.. stop making excuses for your nonsense analysis.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:48am On Feb 03
Oboto700:
I don't need ur opinion..goal keeping crisis.. even before our game with Cameron you guys never believed in this team.. stop making excuses for your nonsense analysis.

You’re a kid go and play with your toys or learn from mature guys here, even with yesterday performance many people here are still pointing out errors in team oya begin to abuse all of them one by one, nonsense

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 11:05am On Feb 03
North Africans could learn a thing or two...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 11:18am On Feb 03
This Ighalo/Ezenwa/Ogu bants had me in stitches grin
Apparently, the players didn't like Gernot Rohr and Aloy Agu that much.
Ezenwa is a real clown grin

https://twitter.com/OneJoblessBoy/status/1753544218792833175?t=PMZIdUI9xl6bT5IXftGmIg&s=19

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:19am On Feb 03
Congratulations again to the Super Eagles for making it to their 16 semi-final. Should be an AFCON record if I'm correct. Kudos to the boys.

My Player ratings:

Nwabali - 8.5 God bless whoever recommended Stanley to JP. We finally have a goalkeeper. About yesterday's game he was at his solid and calming best. Defense did well to shield him most of the time but he still made crucial saves when called upon. His reflex save to deny Mabululu in the early minutes the highlight for me.

Ola Aina - 7.5 Started like a house on fire but dropped a bit in intensity as the game wore on. Was guilty of giving the ball away a few times towards the end of the 1st half but was solid in general. Didn't have as much influence in attack in the 2nd half.

Ajayi - 7.8 Solid performance from the West Brom man. Looked shaky on occasion but helped to keep the shape of our impregnable backline.

Ekong - 8.0 King Kong as solid as ever. Always in the right spot clearing dangerous balls. Marshaled the defense expertly. Real minister of defense.

Bassey - 8.0 Strong, unyeilding brick wall of muscle. Couldn't venture forward as much due to him having to cover for Zaidu ( more on him later). Out muscled every Angolan forward who came his way. Future great.

Zaidu - 6.5 The game exhibited the best and worst of his game. Full of energy and speed but lacked the final pass and intelligent ball. He was obviously the weak link in the defense that almost conceded in the early minutes due to not marking his man on the corner. Won't be too harsh on him since it was his pass to Simon that led to our goal.

Iwobi - 8.0 In my opinion his best match for the Super Eagles at this AFCON. Provided midfield control and was full of energy before he tired out. His clever chip to Sanusi that started off the sequence leading to our goal highlighted just how crucial he was to our overall game yesterday.

Onyeka - 7.5 Frank the tank! full of energy as usual. At a time seemed to be single handedly battling the Angolan midfielders especially when Iwobi came off. Warriors performance.

Lookman - 8.5 Ademola you legend! I guess he's filling the 'Victor Moses role' for Nigeria in this tournament. Took his goal damn well. Full of running, skill and heart.

Osimhen - 7.5 Somewhat subdued performance from our talisman but he was still a threat. Troubled the Angolan defense best as he could after the foot stamp. Was unlucky to have his goal cancelled by a marginal offside call and should probably have scored later in the game. Overall his tireless running and never say die attitude continues to inspire his teammates.

M.Simon - 8.5 Man of the match performance from the Nantes winger full of guile, skill and pace. His intelligence and movement for his assist to Lookman can't be praised enough. Was a constant threat to the Angolan backline with his dribbling and speed. Worked admirably for the team.

Substitutes:

Yusuf - 7.0 Took a while to get into the rhythm of the game. Gave away a few careless early passes but became solid once he settled fully into the game. Helped maintain our structure and organization.

Aribo - 6.5 Didn't impact the game as much as I would have wanted. Remember a counter attacking foray he messed up. Overall contributed to seeing us home.

Onuachu - N/A Didn't get enough minutes for me to adequately judge his game but did well to help run down the clock.

Omeruo - N/A Didn't feature much in the final minutes to get a rating

Overall solid performance mixed with some good fortune.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 11:20am On Feb 03
ChrisKels:

Lol you and this Nwoke sef. Bro I haven't seen him play, but if he is really as good as you say, I hope he gets his chance too.

Nwoke is "good" atleast better than Ojo

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:22am On Feb 03
humility33:

Egbon u like this Nwoke guy sha
I think Nwabili performance will likely open more doors for nigeria goal keepers to play in the south Africa league...I hope either of Nwoke, Amas or Osayi gets a deal pull through this year
I had a phone conversation with Baba Amusa Adisa the man that gave Enyeama needed breakthrough and he said the boy is better than Uzoho......Dele Aiyenugba told me Nwoke given the chance any other keepers would find it difficult benching him and I saw the guy twice live the boy is good.

Do you think Nwabali would have gotten this chance (IF) he is still in NPFL.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:22am On Feb 03
Hezbollah football in its full glory grin but to be fair the lack of efficiency in front of goal prevented us winning games with bigger margins.

drDoom3:
We are playing terrorism football.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:25am On Feb 03
safarigirl:

His early matches for us were shaky, but it was most likely because he was just coming in and wasn't familiar with the setup yet

This is why I was so mad at Eguaveon when he started him against Ghana for that crucial World Cup qualifiers, and any attempts to wash Eguaveon of the foolishness of his decisions will not be condoned. Lookman had just switched allegiance to Nigeria in February of that year, and by March, you fielded him against Ghana for a crucial World cup match? Is that not carelessness?

You knew we were playing our toughest rivals in Ghana, yet, you decided to start this newly minted English-born and bred boy that barely knew the lay of the land to face tested African warriors.

Lookman and Calvin had barely been welcomed to the Super Eagles when Eguaveon threw them into a blazing fire and they rightly got burnt. We had players that were Nigerian-born and bred or had at least played African football enough to know how to play Ghana, yet, Eguaveon dropped them for Lookman, Dennis, Bassey, all new cats.

It was a foolish thing to do and Nigeria paid for it. 2 years later, these same players that faltered against Ghana are flying in AFCON because they have gathered the necessary experience.
It was a big let down by Eguavoen to have started the three debutants.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:25am On Feb 03
Blueelf:

He is better than Ajayi but not as much as that though
I know cuz I followed the boy as academy product during man city US training tour...Adarabioyo na real ball playing defender

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 11:26am On Feb 03
Emmy450:
let me make this clear for you,. Nobody, absolutely no one, can do what osimhen does for the eagles,

The power,the pace, the strength the resilience.

Osimhen draws two to three players to himself thereby opening spaces for players like lookman to score goals..

So rest this matter..

That is not how football works..

Football is about tactics and players style of play, If Osimhen misses a match another player will replace him and teams tactics will adjust to the style of play of the players..

the goal had nothing to do with Osimhen, Osimhen did not draw 2 - 3 players to himself the defenders were only marking the striker which at the time was Osimhen it could have been Boniface, Awoniyi, Onuachu e.t.c and the defenders would have still followed the striker because that is what defenders do.

You can say Lookman benefitted from Osimhen's poor offside awareness because Osimhen was just running expecting an early cross from Simon but Simon cut inside and Osimhen had already run away from where Simon could have passed to him.

Infact, I would say its African mentality and stigmatisation of short people and small statured people that's making defenders overlook Lookman and Simon.

If you want Osimhen to score goals then another person has to play the main striker's role to drag defenders away while Osimhen plays Supporting Striker/ Winger role that Lookman is playing then remove 1 of the FullBacks and let Lookman play the CAM or number 10 role while Simon plays LW and switches sides with Osimhen and Iwobi plays CM while Yussuf or Onyeka plays DM.

that means the Goal threats won't just be Osimhen and Lookman but the main striker, Osimhen and Lookman.

before this AFCON and early in this AFCON tournament when Osimhen played as a lone striker he was the only goal threat and SE struggled to score from open play and needed penalty to win or draw matches.

Now that JPES has managed to gather sense from somewhere and play 2 strikers the SE has started scoring because Lookman has the inteligence to know that he should give Osimhen space and play his SS/RW role properly.

there was a time Moffi and Osimhen started a match together but they kept getting in each others way and kept trying to attack the same space and going for the same headers and eventually clashing into each other at times, both Moffi and Osimhen wanted to play the main striker's role at the same time and did not decide who should play Supporting Striker and they did not even know they could switch positions from time to time on the pitch it was a disaster..

So yes, Osimhen is very replaceable, SE already has players that play like him but they may not press like him and will definitely not be offside like him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Silentgroper(m): 11:26am On Feb 03
robosky02:
On our way back from quarter finals
We checked on Cameroon and Senegal to see how they're doing...
senegal, Cameroon, Ghana be having almost similar flag decorations ..

What's with the stars by the way

angry angry

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:29am On Feb 03
ChrisKels:

Lol you and this Nwoke sef. Bro I haven't seen him play, but if he is really as good as you say, I hope he gets his chance too.
Yes he made Peseiro provisional squad and I hope he gets his chance soon cuz we need three solid keepers in eagles not error prone ones.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 11:31am On Feb 03
Joebie:
Omo!!!
I see stats like this and I wonder why we are referred to as a defensive side.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15701) (15702) (15703) (15704) (15705) (15706) (15707) ... (16183) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Jojodjo, jieta, Christology(m), mank1234(m), maidaboi(m), Odunayaw(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.