Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15702) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11660461 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15699) (15700) (15701) (15702) (15703) (15704) (15705) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:53pm On Feb 02
Bassey missed a header today, while Osimhen was prepping his bicycle.

I think Osimhen would have been better placed to score if he had opened for Simon to lay a pass after skipping past those Angola players. Moses was never gonna score that. The Angolans were ever ready to block.

As regards VAR, Very close call. But it was offside.

daveP:
You're right. That aspect should be clinical really. I still stand by Bassey reply to goalscoring. I also want to see another defenser score. But it looks like na Osimhen need step up. Simon don take 2 MOTM already. I believe he will. He needs it for confidence. That offside, was it clear cos it looked like his arm to me.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:56pm On Feb 02
I agree at the bolded. But I’ve seen SA and they are not stopping us. Pray for no PK shoot outs.
Goke7:

that semi-final no go easy if we meet Cape Verde cos we are gradually meeting more technical teams now, The reason I want SA to do me a favour by beating them.

As for the World Cup, na there my eye gan gan, these generation of exciting players must play at the World Cup by fire by force and do well there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:56pm On Feb 02
Joebie:
Bassey missed a header today, while Osimhen was prepping his bicycle.

I think Osimhen would have been better placed to score if he had opened for Simon to lay a pass after skipping past those Angola players. Moses was never gonna score that. The Angolans were ever ready to block.

As regards VAR, Very close call. But it was offside.

so in other words, he's doing one for the team, dragging away bodies. That Lookman pass he fluffed was his chance. He messed it up. Moses truly supposed pass but i, like others were expecting he buries that solo effort. E too sweet. E pain me.

So far, among those left, I don't see any big threat aside Cape Verde setup. But it is like a replica of Angola's. Let SA prove themselves sha.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:57pm On Feb 02
daveP:
True. I also noticed that others don't really join the counter attacks to provide more passing options. Its either it is Simon, or Lookman or Osimhen. E sure me say if the others come behind for a pass and shoot we for they score pass wetin we dey see. This our goal sef was because Lookman was the last of 3 attackers to enter box. I also love Bassey's burst forwards.
The thing is, that 343 is a trade off for some other parts of the game.

Did you notice Aina's channel wasn't used offensively in the 2nd half?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:57pm On Feb 02
The ref for this DRC/GUI clash ought to be queried on the penalties he gave.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:59pm On Feb 02
Odunayaw:
The thing is, that 343 is a trade off for some other parts of the game.

Did you notice Aina's channel wasn't used offensively in the 2nd half?

That's true. Infact i noticed Onyeka attacking more than Aina. Infact this is the most advanced I've seen Onyeka so far. Coach noticed Aina slips and probably decided to go cautious than risk it.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:59pm On Feb 02
I would have preferred Cape Verde. But we will meet SA and we will beat them. Just pray against PKs

daveP:
so in other words, he's doing one for the team, dragging away bodies. That Lookman pass he fluffed was his chance. He messed it up. Moses truly supposed pass but i, like others were expecting he buries that solo effort. E too sweet. E pain me.

So far, among those left, I don't see any big threat aside Cape Verde setup. But it is like a replica of Angola's. Let SA prove themselves sha.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:00am On Feb 03
daveP:
That's true. Infact i noticed Onyeka attacking more than Aina. Infact this is the most advanced I've seen Onyeka so far. Coach noticed Aina slips and probably decided to go cautious than risk it.
It's a tedious job being a coach sha. No be football manager app grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:03am On Feb 03
Joebie:
I would have preferred Cape Verde. But we will meet SA and we will beat them. Just pray against PKs

None of the teams left to me, aside DRC, have the ability to hold us for 120 and go pk route unless na we want the pk ourselves. SA defense has Mvala as their main man. The rest aren't as good as the Cameroon backline imo. But if na SA we meet, we should just avoid fouls near the 18. That mokoena guy is too good abeg. They're good on counter as well. It is truly up to us at this stage.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:04am On Feb 03
Looking at the brightest side. We are the best team so far per SofaScore

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:04am On Feb 03
Odunayaw:
It's a tedious job being a coach sha. No be football manager app grin
The way Pes reacted in this match is the most I've seen since 1st game. The boys were probably not doing something he wanted. Lol. E no easy. Maybe na 1 goal man he be cos see as he do after Osimhen score before it was disallowed 😂😂

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:06am On Feb 03
We are always gonna win by a slim margin. That’s risky when we don’t convert enough. . My only fear of this team. Meet a team that creates and wirh a high conversion rate — Trouble.

We must start to convert well.

daveP:
None of the teams left to me, aside DRC, have the ability to hold us for 120 and go pk route unless na we want the pk ourselves. SA defense has Mvala as their main man. The rest aren't as good as the Cameroon backline imo. But if na SA we meet, we should just avoid fouls near the 18. That mokoena guy is too good abeg. They're good on counter as well. It is truly up to us at this stage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:30am On Feb 03
Joebie:
We are always gonna win by a slim margin. That’s risky when we don’t convert enough. . My only fear of this team. Meet a team that creates and wirh a high conversion rate — Trouble.

We must start to convert well.

Currently, nobody has that rate left. All gone, coincidentally. Regardless, we need to really be more clinical
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 1:00am On Feb 03
Odunayaw:
Comrade you too muchhhh
The little advantage de necessary o make we fit win anyhow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Thazard(m): 1:08am On Feb 03
Starboytwo:
I remember one day I go viewing center make I watch man utd match but dem never start, na Barca dey play with one team.

For good 10 minutes, those people leg no touch ball, I sat there wondering which kain mumu ball be this Only pass pass pass pass, no dribble, no legover, no outside shot, just pass pass and triangles..

For LA Liga, na athletico or madrid I fit watch, atleast you go see goals or fight.

The way I hate tiki - taka ball ehn!
I love crazy dribbles and aggressive football.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 1:22am On Feb 03
Lookman reminds me of Victor Moses 😆😆

Very passionate , skillful, hardworking and mind blowing to watch … Many were impatient with him but thank God he has silenced his critics.

I also believe he’s enjoying himself and not regretting playing for us

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:42am On Feb 03
Princezibk:
Lookman reminds me of Victor Moses 😆😆

Very passionate , skillful, hardworking and mind blowing to watch … Many were impatient with him but thank God he has silenced his critics.

I also believe he’s enjoying himself and not regretting playing for us
pple wey be say if player mk em debut play one or two matches dem go tell u say they see nothing special in the player 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 5:27am On Feb 03
This Angola team is the strongest opponent we have met in this tourney,even stronger than Equatorial guinea. Equatorial guinea were lucky they didn't meet out 3-4-3 line up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:13am On Feb 03
Strongest? How? Guinea Bissau played better than them. They committed a lot of fouls to disrupt our game.

The only time they had control of the game was when Onyeka and Osimhen went out injured for few minutes and sebsequently subed off!

We could have killed them off in the first 50 minutes!!
zuchyblink:
This Angola team is the strongest opponent we have met in this tourney,even stronger than Equatorial guinea. Equatorial guinea were lucky they didn't meet out 3-4-3 line up.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:19am On Feb 03
I just read that it was Ekong that told Paserio to sub off Onyeka cos he is injured.

Not playing his bench is a bit concerning.

If Osayi is injured why not play Musa, Chukwueze and Moffi. They all can play on the wings and add the needed pace.
Why run your first 11 ragged when you have a formidable bench?

I don't get that!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:33am On Feb 03
Na the matter i dey talk since.

Marjoribanks:
I just read that it was Ekong that told Paserio to sub off Onyeka cos he is injured.

Not playing his bench is a bit concerning.

If Osayi is injured why not play Musa, Chukwueze and Moffi. They all can play on the wings and add the needed pace.
Why run your first 11 ragged when you have a formidable bench?

I don't get that!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by etebefia: 6:39am On Feb 03
If Osihmen misses the next African footballer of the year, Lookman should get it. If both of them should miss it, Ekong should get it.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:39am On Feb 03
After this AFCON, we will be needing a little reinforcements.

If truly Adarabioyo is now ready, I would love to try him in Ajayi’s position.

I don’t know how far Jpez has gone with his discussion with the Lecce left back because this Zaidu isn’t it.

Ojo and Uzoho should give a little space for us to see Okoye and Okonkwo more.

Aribo should give space too once Ndidi comes back and that number 10 shirt be given to Ademola

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by etebefia: 6:43am On Feb 03
Most of our players will likely be in the team of the tournament.

Nwabali is in contention for the Goalkeeper of the tournament
Ekong in defence, also in contention for player of the tournament
Aina in contention for the best RB
Bassey in contention for a place in the midfield
Onyeka in contention for a place in the midfield
Lookman in contention for a place in the attack as well as player of the tournament
Osihmen, though hasn't scored much but should be in contention for a place in the attack.
Simon Moses should also be in contention.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:45am On Feb 03
charlesemeka85:
So as it stands now who re we likely to face in the semis?
Cape Verde/South Africa

The other match will be DRC vs CIV/Mali
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:45am On Feb 03
Stanley Nwabali breaks a 44-year record for Eagles goalkeepers, securing 4 consecutive clean sheets in a major tournament.

He has surpassed Best Ogedegbe's 1980 record and Alloy Agu's 1990 3-game streak

Let's celebrate him

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:50am On Feb 03
Peseiro should not start Zaidu in the next game. That guy na wash

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:54am On Feb 03
Icon4s:
There is no way Bruno would have been that bad Chief. With Bassey likely suspension, Zaidu may start again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oboto700(m): 7:09am On Feb 03
Goke7:

that semi-final no go easy if we meet Cape Verde cos we are gradually meeting more technical teams now, The reason I want SA to do me a favour by beating them.

As for the World Cup, na there my eye gan gan, these generation of exciting players must play at the World Cup by fire by force and do well there.
you guys should be ashamed of yourselves already.. yes.. you were all thinking this team won't win any Match in this tournament..u should be ashamed.. nonsense analysis

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oboto700(m): 7:10am On Feb 03
Icon4s:
he markes well

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel17: 7:14am On Feb 03
ChrisKels:
This formation wears out our players because of JPez’s rigidity, and I hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. With the caliber of players on our bench, a player like Osimhen who was visibly tired had no business being on that pitch past the 70th minute mark.

I kept screaming "Osimhen don tire" at my viewing center sotey people come dey look me somehow. Lol.

Osimhen himself knew he gassed out around the 70-75th minutes and could barely carry himself around the pitch and yet he insisted on staying on and jeopardizing the team's attacking chances.

Even after he was stretchered off and the coach wanted to substitute him, Osimhen used his "big star power" to force the coach to let him back on.

This is very terrible behavior from Osimhen. He probably thinks of himself as the Messiah and main character of the team while in actual fact, he is the most easily replaceable player there. It's not like he has been banging in the goals anyways.

I feel very bad for Moffi and Iheanacho.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 7:17am On Feb 03
mostob:
There is no way Bruno would have been that bad Chief. With Bassey likely suspension, Zaidu may start again.
Bassey is not suspended

(1) (2) (3) ... (15699) (15700) (15701) (15702) (15703) (15704) (15705) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChrisKels, 123jamessmith, comodo, Kingjite1, kennysville(m), komekn(m), KpagoGIN(m), enlady(f) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.