Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,898 members, 7,810,449 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15786) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11596885 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15783) (15784) (15785) (15786) (15787) (15788) (15789) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:42am On Feb 08
chrisooblog:
Ekong graduated with a PhD from the Cheillini school of defending grin grin grin grin

Chellini was more aggressive with no nonsense approach to games

I will rather say he plays like Rio and Bonucci, calm and calculative

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:44am On Feb 08
Barryseal:

If the Dutch managers keep ignoring him and Nigeria work on him, you never know.
Tyrone Ebuehi remains the only FB who willfully accepted to play for Nigeria when he was one of the best young players in Holland. Hopefully he gets to the next level in is development sooner.

Zickzee will get a big move next summer. Man united are seriously monitoring him for a possible recruitment next summer

If that happens the Dutch will come calling
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 11:44am On Feb 08
Hugo Broos was a bit cocky in the post match presser..saying the better team lost .Bar the foul by Yusuf leading to the disallowed goal, Lookman had a clear chance to bury the game at 1:0 which he fluffed.

The bizarre turn of events leading to their penalty swung the momentum in their favour.
Man was a bit disrespectful to Nigeria

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stillwater10: 11:44am On Feb 08
zicky:
Guy you dey watch ball, I was wondering when they say we miss Zaidu, he was not missed at all, just like you said we only miss Aina at RWB, I was really wished he was left at RWB while Bruno was brought in or maybe Bassey.

You say we did not miss him and yet his absence was enough to alter the position of Aina. It's obvious the coach does not trust others to play that position and the I believe the coach must have a cogent reason.
Our wingers were caged yesterday because the wing backs could not easily go forward. This was what Zaidu was doing although with poor final balls

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:45am On Feb 08
Barryseal:
I dont know if anyone in our technical area noticed the South African GK had a shoulder injury. He was in pains on his right shoulder. I was screaming that our pk takers should place balls to his right.
I think Omeruo was the only player who seemed to take advantage of this information. Williams almost caught Iheanacho's pk because he placed it on his good side. He dived to his left most of the time.
These minor things can make a difference. Our bench should take note.
If that Nacho pk is replayed the same way, William still won't catch it. It was very precise, the worst that will happen is for the ball to hit the bar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:46am On Feb 08
Unlimited22:
Wilfred Ndidi, Gift Orban, Victor Boniface, Maduka Okoye, Nathan Tella

Tosin Adarabioyo and Arthur Okonkwo should also be copped.

add Akor Adams, Igoh Ogbu and Michael Folorunsho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:47am On Feb 08
zicky:
If that Nacho pk is replayed the same way, William still won't catch it. It was very precise, the worst that will happen is for the ball to hit the bar.

If William try mk em catch that ball em go hit head for post 🤣🤣🤣🤣

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 11:47am On Feb 08
ChrisKels:
Those of you saying we missed Zaidu yesterday I guess you guys were watching the back of your TV sets. How was he missed? Did the SA threaten through our left or were we found wanting defending from our left side? What was that that was missed about Zaidu, his crosses? Did you guys see how delicious Aina crosses were and his neat tackles inside our box? We didn’t miss him. We only missed Aina on the RWB position. SA attacked more through the middle with long balls trying to catch our centre backs flat footed.

Those crying about Zaidu have motives. He was not missed.
I don't see anything particularly impressive about Zaidu. Make them go rest

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 11:50am On Feb 08
Goke7:

is it not SA that wanted to play penalties? grin Now the SA coach is screaming that his team played better the it was supposed to be SA and not Nigeria in the final? They had forgotten Cape Verde was better in the semis but they won, shoulder injury my foot. Our players must have know about injury though
They played better in the first half but the game evened out eventually. Their team speed was something else, blazing through our midfield at times. It was amazing.
Hopefully, the national team selectors look the way of Ndubuisi Ndah. He's like the Van dyk of Orlando Pirates. They practically worship him there. He's Nigerias best kept secret.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:51am On Feb 08
caprikon:
Hugo Broos was a bit cocky in the post match presser..saying the better team lost .Bar the foul by Yusuf leading to the disallowed goal, Lookman had a clear chance to bury the game at 1:0 which he fluffed.

The bizarre turn of events leading to their penalty swung the momentum in their favour.
as them get more possession mk dem carry ball go house na 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I remember Jose’s time with united. United won city but the pep and his balls outplayed Jose’s team

After the game Jose was interviewed and the interviewer questioned why United were very poor possession wise and Jose responded by telling the guy that all he needed was 3 points and that pep and his boys can go home with the ball 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:52am On Feb 08
caprikon:

I had respected him before now but with that foolish statement, dude should getat, I was even thinking if Paseiro leaves and SA no longer want Broos, he could be considered as our next coach but with those foolish words, I now wan see the man again. You were lucky to even be in the semis because of an inexperienced Cape Verde. VAR gave you a second chance yesterday and you dey talk rubbish. Your boys were good in first half but as predicted gassed out in the second half but for Lookman as you said it would have been another 2-0 victory for us.

Even talking about tactics, he did well by exposing our team but our coach responded by bringing in players in extra time who not only earned his defender a red card but went ahead to take great penalty kicks, Broos should have been more humble in defeat, no one gave SA a chance to come this far at all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:52am On Feb 08
Stillwater10:

You say we did not miss him and yet his absence was enough to alter the position of Aina. It's obvious the coach does not trust others to play that position and the I believe the coach must have a cogent reason.
Our wingers were caged yesterday because the wing backs could not easily go forward. This was what Zaidu was doing although with poor final balls
Jpes is very rigid hard trust his bench, with the absence of zaidu, he just went back to what he already know, switch back to what he used against GB. SA was breaking through the middle and not through the wings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 11:54am On Feb 08
caprikon:

With all his disrespect, he wont be playing in the final. he should try his luck again during the World cup qualifiers

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:54am On Feb 08
zicky:
Jpes is very rigid hard trust his bench, with the absence of zaidu, he just went back to what he already know, switch back to what he used against GB. SA was breaking through the middle and not through the wings.

Blame Iwobi and be grateful that Jpes removed him on time else SA would have opened scoring before us

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:55am On Feb 08
Goke7:

I had respected him before now but with that foolish statement, dude should getat, I was even thinking if Paseiro leaves and SA no longer want Broos, he could be considered as our next coach but with those foolish words, I now wan see the man again. You were lucky to even be in the semis because of an inexperienced Cape Verde. VAR gave you a second chance yesterday and you dey talk rubbish. Your boys were good in first half but as predicted gassed out in the second half but for Lookman as you said it would have been another 2-0 victory for us.

Even talking about tactics, he did well by exposing our team but our coach responded by bringing in players in extra time who not only earned his defender a red card but went ahead to take great penalty kicks, Broos should have been more humble in defeat, no one gave SA a chance to come this far at all.
he only exposed our team in the first half with up through balls, that was possible because of how our defense played in the first half which is high line defensive tactics

But in the second half our defense sat deeper and neutralized their up through balls which made them clueless

I give kudos to jpes for solving that issue in the second half because if they continued the defensive pattern displayed in the first stanza of the game SA would hv hurt us with the up through balls

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:55am On Feb 08
charlesemeka85:

I remember Jose’s time with united. United won city but the pep and his balls outplayed Jose’s team

After the game Jose was interviewed and the interviewer questioned why United were very poor possession wise and Jose responded by telling the guy that all he needed was 3 points and that pep and his boys can go home with the ball 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is why I like MOU, he remains my favourite, dude no get any werey time grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:56am On Feb 08
For the P.K's I was not scared one bit.

I sat on the ground and I saw Moffi. I recognize he is a lefty and I knew he would score. Most lefties score PK's.

The main confident I had was Nwabali. When both Goal keepers went to shake hands I saw the massive difference in sizes and I knew Nwabali will definitely save some.

For the last kick, immediately I saw senior man, I stood up. I knew he would convert. Game over.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 11:56am On Feb 08
mostob:
Whether he is eligible or not, he should enter bush. Na now when everything dey rose dem dey stan us.

They are also Nigerians,so definitely they'll feel some sense of patriotism for Nigeria. Whether they play for the country or not,they are connected to the country,and so they'll have some emotional attachment to the nation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 11:57am On Feb 08
Barryseal:

They played better in the first half but the game evened out eventually. Their team speed was something else, blazing through our midfield at times. It was amazing.
Hopefully, the national team selectors look the way of Ndubuisi Ndah. He's like the Van dyk of Orlando Pirates. They practically worship him there. He's Nigerias best kept secret.

top 5 league yi nooni problem....
IYKYK
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:58am On Feb 08
Goke7:

Blame Iwobi and be grateful that Jpes removed him on time else SA would have opened scoring before us

I won’t blame iwobi because the southies knew that everything going forward in our team came through him so they worked hard closing him down whenever he had the ball which made Alex to resort to simple side ways passes

They knew if givin space that Alex has the ability to easily link up our midfield and attack to create chances and they seriously worked hard in denying him that space

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 11:59am On Feb 08
charlesemeka85:

Zickzee will get a big move next summer. Man united are seriously monitoring him for a possible recruitment next summer

If that happens the Dutch will come calling
This coming from you? When last I talked about him, you basically poo pooed on him saying if he was good, he will be wanted by a big team. Good to see you come around, should be a lesson not to scout players until a "big team" is being rumoured to go for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 12:00pm On Feb 08
I have said it many times here, Iwobi has no business playing a holding midfielder/central nor attacking midfielder. He only belongs to the bench. Very weak player, low on anticipation, weak on tackles, slow in making decisions, weak shots, can't play long balls, very poor in aerial battles.

Iwobi is a liability to this squad!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:00pm On Feb 08
Goke7:

Our midfield still remains our weakest area, not because of iwobi but because it's too lean. Watch most times yesterday when SA is with the ball we play 3-2-5
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:00pm On Feb 08
Goke7:

This is why I like MOU, he remains my favourite, dude no get any werey time grin
I too like the guy

Same season liverpool were frustrated in old trafford to a goal less draw. After the game Kloop complained that united played anti football and sat back all game

When Jose was interviewed and was told what kloop said he responded by saying he accept that his team packed the bus but it was the duty of kloop and his players to unpack the bus and score since he believed that his team were superior 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:01pm On Feb 08
Omanambala:
I have said it many times here, Iwobi has no business playing a holding midfielder/central nor attacking midfielder. He only belongs to the bench. Very weak player, low on anticipation, weak on tackles, slow in making decisions, weak shots, can't play long balls, very poor in aerial battles.

Iwobi is a liability to this squad!
mpi anu, talking shit as usual 🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 12:01pm On Feb 08
caprikon:

All these ones no dey move me. Make e carry e better team go play final na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:03pm On Feb 08
charlesemeka85:

I won’t blame iwobi because the southies knew that everything going forward in our team came through him so they worked hard closing him down whenever he had the ball which made Alex to resort to simple side ways passes

They knew if givin space that Alex has the ability to easily link up our midfield and attack to create chances and they seriously worked hard in denying him that space
You see the way they mark out moses making ineffective
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 12:03pm On Feb 08
kennysville:

top 5 league yi nooni problem....
IYKYK
We see Ajayi's struggle to complete simple passes but you have a skillful CB like Ndah but top5 you say? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 12:03pm On Feb 08
ChrisKels:

He killed my moral completely when the camera zoomed in to show his face and he looked like he was muttering some words and looked confused and jittery. I said to myself who chose Omeruo to take pk, omo the guy come disappoint me oo 😂🤣😂

Did you guys forget Omerua was a talented ball playing defender in his U20 days.

Omerua was tipped to be the next Onyekachi Apam.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 12:03pm On Feb 08
charlesemeka85:

Watched an interview where a South African complained about Hugo's cocky attitude. He made some disparaging remarks towards Kaizer Chief players and denigrated some other local players in the SA league.

So happy he lost with that kind of attitude.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 12:03pm On Feb 08
charlesemeka85:

truth is Iwobi no get that African football flair which makes it easy for opposing teams to neutralise him, Onyeka had to be playing two roles yesterday defending and bumping forward to cover for him and he became overworked. We may need to still redefine Iwobi's role in that team with World Cup qualifiers on the way.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:04pm On Feb 08
Barryseal:

This coming from you? When last I talked about him, you basically poo pooed on him saying if he was good, he will be wanted by a big team. Good to see you come around, should be a lesson not to scout players until a "big team" is being rumoured to go for him.
Oga Zirkzee hv only been good this season

He flopped at Bayern and Anderlecht before Genoa took him

(1) (2) (3) ... (15783) (15784) (15785) (15786) (15787) (15788) (15789) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m), ChrisKels, Toylove, Amedino99(m), cromz(m), comodo and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.