Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,962 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15835) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11690198 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15832) (15833) (15834) (15835) (15836) (15837) (15838) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:08pm On Feb 11
our defense took us this far, but our lean midfield was always gonna hunt us at some point, even if we had won this AFCON.

TheGoodJoe:

The strength of an attack lies in a well coordinated and oil midfield. If we can't get a sound midfield set up, we can't flourish in attack.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:08pm On Feb 11
Oasis007:
grin

My support for JPes come to an end this Night. Its time to kick him out of Nigeria.

He is very poor in reading match. You're leading going into the second half and needed to press but you kept Iwobi that was strolling over the field and misplacing passes.

Absolutely, poor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 11:09pm On Feb 11
No need kicking the team at this moment.

Never expected Naija to go this far.

Ivory Coast is the story of the tourney though.Mehn their mentality is monstrous.

Kudos to the guys and the coach.

But this night has shown us one thing, negative football has it's limitations. We ended up conceding as many goals in the final as we did all through the tournament prior to the finals.

The team that takes the initiative, will most likely carry the day in the end.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 11:09pm On Feb 11
LordTheus:
Gustav25 my guy

Failure after failure.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hold this ... I know you are currently bitter but you still have to Hodl

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:09pm On Feb 11
TheGoodJoe:

The strength of an attack lies in a well coordinated and oil midfield. If we can't get a sound midfield set up, we can't flourish in attack.

I agree.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 11:09pm On Feb 11
TheSuperNerd:
Our approach in this second half is part of the reasons I don't rate Jose Peseiro as our coach. His attacking side is poor but I give him credit for taking some advice on and making some changes in our personnel selection.

Didn't expect him to get far with his 442 but his changes to 433 and then 343 saw me take notice of what he could be cooking. He went with what worked for him and gave a nation Joy.

I wouldn't mind him staying beyond the Afcon to continue the WCQs path but I also won't mind him leaving especially knowing that we need a proper coach who can come in, fix our midfield properly and fully utilise the powers in our attack.

We went 1-0 up and should have not let our foot off the gas in the second half. We should been doing a double over CIV today if we had taken the game to them for the first 25mins of that second half.

It is well. Well done to the lads. But I am not happy. Coming this far, taking the lead and losing it this way makes me sad.

We move.

It's not only the midfield that needs fixing.

The wingers, and the attack also needs fixing.

Osimhen didn't do enough in this tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 11:09pm On Feb 11
solonnachi:

Who is now the loser between me and you. 😭😭😭

Who is now the loser with a running nose and gnashing of teeth between I and you ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 11:09pm On Feb 11
Bielsa? All these Genz Club footy boys!

I don't have energy to argue today.

The loss pain me though I saw it coming.
codemaniacs:

Ref doesn't kill momentum.

You players to build momentum..

Give Bielsa this team and you would see momentum.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 11:09pm On Feb 11
TheGoodJoe:

To some people it is going far. To me it is just fluke.

I never said Peseiro should change his tactics. I said the team is not growing in play. He can't even build a midfield.

This is sadly true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:09pm On Feb 11
CornOak:
Mujtahida

Baba, show face o.

Hope you are fine?
Haba guy, I was in secondary school when we lost the final to Cameroun. Forget jigi jigi here oo. We've been through high and lows.

CIV deserve to win. They played better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:09pm On Feb 11
TheGoodJoe:

To some people it is going far. To me it is just fluke.

I never said Peseiro should change his tactics. I said the team is not growing in play. He can't even build a midfield.

Well, that "fluke" got us to our first final since 2013. I've always been an advocate for possession football, but that doesn't mean I won't say the truth when I see it.

Peseiro's tactics worked for this AFCON and I respect him for that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 11:10pm On Feb 11
soetanoreoluwa:

Are you not tired?

Are you not entertained? Is the pain too much to bear for you ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 11:10pm On Feb 11
Joebie:
I hate to do this at this time.. but I'm not a prophet. It just turns out that CIV picked up local coach at some point, and it was a fairy tale run from then on. They didn't play like they were under pressure. There were the more motivated, more hungry team. They deserved it.

Nigeria has the potential to be an even better team. Our strength lies in our attack. We didn't see that in this tourney.

For me Chukwueze should not have started and I saw iwobi lost most times in the game which basically leads to breakdown in the midfield. Maybe we go rest on top this attacking talents small and concentrate on what has largely been lacking in the team which is our midfield. Enough of concessions of possession. It's not our style. It may have worked thus far but it can only work so far
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:10pm On Feb 11
COOL10:

We're playing with just two midfielders in that central area, so it's expected for our midfield to be overcrowded, besides we're playing with a creative midfielder who's being tasked to play as a deep lying central midfielder. That's just like expecting Mesut Ozil to play as a CM and also expecting him to mark like Gattuso. It's not gonna work.

Iwobi has been removed, so you people can now rest wink

Removed after they equalized? Rest. You don't know football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:10pm On Feb 11
Nerdie I no go lie. Even if we had won, I won't have been comfortable with Peseiro.

TheSuperNerd:
Our approach in this second half is part of the reasons I don't rate Jose Peseiro as our coach. His attacking side is poor but I give him credit for taking some advice on and making some changes in our personnel selection.

Didn't expect him to get far with his 442 but his changes to 433 and then 343 saw me take notice of what he could be cooking. He went with what worked for him and gave a nation Joy.

I wouldn't mind him staying beyond the Afcon to continue the WCQs path but I also won't mind him leaving especially knowing that we need a proper coach who can come in, fix our midfield properly and fully utilise the powers in our attack.

We went 1-0 up and should have not let our foot off the gas in the second half. We should been doing a double over CIV today if we had taken the game to them for the first 25mins of that second half.

It is well. Well done to the lads. But I am not happy. Coming this far, taking the lead and losing it this way makes me sad.

We move.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 11:10pm On Feb 11
Congrats to all the players. There comes a time when you will be found out. Congrats to Nwabali. Congrats Ekong. You have done your feat. Same things. Against SA. They were just using our MF as express road.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 11:10pm On Feb 11
WhoDeyHause:

Ayew kidding me?
On February 11 just like today you ghana cry!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKBElD6kBc?si=8JoxgdGRC2WVcKjp
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 11:11pm On Feb 11
Joebie:
our defense took us this far, but our lean midfield was always gonna hunt us at some point, even if we had won this AFCON.

Hopefully,we address this midfield issue before the wcqs

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:11pm On Feb 11
forgiveness:

Oga, the battle was lost in the midfield.
I know, but defensively he is not as strong as the others. Today he was put to the real test against an elite winger and his slack revealed. Aina's presence was to help a very limited midfield that can't hold its own.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:11pm On Feb 11
We had a good tournament

We will come back better, no doubt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 11:11pm On Feb 11
I already lost hope since the first equaliser. We did not come to play today at all. The coach sought solace in his defensive formation as usual but he was let down today. It would have pained me more if we lost while playing better football. Musa and omeruo have collected the three medals available for afcon by now. Oh well we look forward to the next international game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:11pm On Feb 11
caprikon:
No need kicking the team at this moment.

Never expected Naija to go this far.

Ivory Coast is the story of the tourney though.Mehn their mentality is monstrous.

Kudos to the guys and the coach.

But this night has shown us one thing, negative football has it's limitations. We ended up conceding as many goals in the final as we did all through the tournament prior to the finals.

The team that takes the initiative, will most likely carry the day in the end.

D funniest thing is we could av even matched d Ivorians toe to toe in d middle…our coach just messed up d all stuff.deir players no special na ,we didn’t just bring d A game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:11pm On Feb 11
Thats the point @bolded. Just because we were winning didn't mean all was well.

kennysville:

For me Chukwueze should not have started and I saw iwobi lost most times in the game which basically leads to breakdown in the midfield. Maybe we go rest on top this attacking talents small and concentrate on what has largely been lacking in the team which is our midfield. Enough of concessions of possession. It's not our style. It may have worked thus far but it can only work so far
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:11pm On Feb 11
zicky:
Bro we don't have the midfield to attack any team.

Precisely.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 11:11pm On Feb 11
BankyGee:

Now I can confirm you're a proper ram 🐏
Since group stages you dey predict loss match after match and you've always been proven to be an Id!ot and you're proudly carrying the tag. Smh

Now I can confirm you're a proper ram 🐏
you've always been proven to be an Id!ot and you're proudly carrying the tag. Sorry Banky Gee 😁
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 11:11pm On Feb 11
COOL10:

Well, that "fluke" got us to our first final since 2013. I've always been an advocate for possession football, but that doesn't mean I won't say the truth when I see it.

Peseiro's tactics worked for this AFCON and I respect him for that .

Yeah but he chose the wrong time to employ it. This is the finals. Are we saying our boys didn't play in front of the same crowd earlier in the tournament
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 11:12pm On Feb 11
chuks404:
no one takes you serious

Sorry .... Cry in peace ✌️🕊️
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 11:13pm On Feb 11
The coach surely got his tactics wrong, but is it worth it to get rid of him? Do we go all the way back to square one again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:13pm On Feb 11
codemaniacs:

It's not only the midfield that needs fixing.

The wingers, and the attack also needs fixing.

Osimhen didn't do enough in this tournament.

I said it several times and they said he runs around and bullies

All that and no goal in. That is not enough

We will do better next time sha

It is well with the SE.

Up Eagles!!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 11:13pm On Feb 11
kennysville:

I would have preferred chuks removed for Yusuf. Gives the midfield more shape and helps us but then no use crying over spoilt milk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:13pm On Feb 11
Rockyrascal:
We can't keep defending. We need to do more attacking
Each time we get the ball instead of keeping it and reduce the pressure we send it back to them all in the name of counter.

When you're leading you try and hold possession for a little while to force fouls from your opponent and also reduce the pace of the game to frustrate them (Mikel comes to mind)
You throw the counters when they least expect.

This was mainly the job of our midfielders most especially Iwobi but guy is just not it.

Low pace
Zero defending
Zero grit
Not good in set piece taking
Zero game reading ability

All these from a midfielder😣

(On the team)
You defend hard, get the ball and carelessly send it back to your opponent all in the name of finding Osimhen who isn't even getting decent passes.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:13pm On Feb 11
How it ends. Sad sad sad. Those two politicians, whatever they touch surely dies😥

Time to fix up that thin midfield that we survived on throughout. I hated when we were picking up unnecessary yellow cards when leading. Especially Nwabali. Well... i dunno what else to say right now. The game plan ought to have changed at 1-0 up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15832) (15833) (15834) (15835) (15836) (15837) (15838) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), M7even(m), Zellas, elyte89, iamdynamite(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.