Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,927 members, 7,817,716 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15858) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11669063 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15855) (15856) (15857) (15858) (15859) (15860) (15861) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dankorode(m): 5:58pm On Feb 12
charlesemeka85:
if na me I no do again

Retirement from the national team straight up
no allowance for you be that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:02pm On Feb 12
gustav25:
Monster Machine grin grin
Yeah, Im sure you're talking About the:

*African footballer of the year,
* Scudetto champion,
* Serie A golden boot,
*Afcon qualifiers golden boot
*8th best player in the world,
*Afcon '23 finalist.

He's truly a monster

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 6:18pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:

* Scudetto champion,
* Serie A golden boot,
*Afcon '23 finalist.

Guy is a beast
Those 10 goals could have been saved for the tournament proper

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:20pm On Feb 12
Need we be surprised with the team's performance yesterday? A team with no single playmaker in midfield. A maestro.

Like Ekong is to the backline and Victor to the attack.

What about the middle which is arguably the most important of the three?

JP, though he tried but much was left to be desired in his midfield selections. This is where goofed big time.. And it came back to haunt the team.

In fact, the players individual brilliance played a larger part in the team's progress.

That game was demanding of a midfield battle, likewise the South Africa game, which Iwobi shied away from and the coach was too slow to react to.

Again, he tried, but a good coach? Nowhere near.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 6:20pm On Feb 12
leathalbeast:
but your world cup group is very strong o, aren't u worried about that ?

I don't think so. Just that we will have to find a way to beat SA in Naija and hope for a draw or win in Johannesburg. They are the toughest opponent currently cos they seem to have a belief they can take Nigeria 🇳🇬 on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 6:21pm On Feb 12
kendrick9:
I remember coming on here before the tournament and after the first game and said Iwobi wasn't good enough. I said if the Eagles are relying on him to be their creative hub then this team isn't serious.
I wonder if many of you guys here watch football or just blinded by sentiments.
Iwobi has been a senior professional for over a decade and no one knows what position or kind of player he is.
I proposed moving him to the left wing in the future to compete with Simon or whoever there cause Iwobi is nowhere near a creative player.
Funny enough I don't think he was bad in this tournament and I think the criticism is way overblown.
He's just Iwobi, average and just like the others in the team technically proficient when up against any decent side
Players have on and off seasons
He was good in 2018 and 2019
Also maybe he’s struggling in this pattern
Coachs instructions football usually follow

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:21pm On Feb 12
yinkeys:
Fatigue
Poor rotation by coach
Osimhen had nothing
Moffi & Iheanacho should have been used a lot more in this tournament
They couldn’t high press

Agreed without question

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:21pm On Feb 12
Kano Pillars sensational youngster Yusuf Abdullahi is now undergoing trials in Poland after he failed to impress at top Norwegian club Bodo/Glimt.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 6:24pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:
Peseiro has resigned
Hopefully we play dynamic football
Mixture of offensive and defensive tactics whenever we want

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 6:28pm On Feb 12
I thought Sadiq Umar rarely gets on social1 media because of negative energy
Some players usually delete apps sef except on breaks or off season they reinstall it
I hope William Troost Ekong doesn’t retire just yet. We need him until summer 2026
Obviously his last Afcon could be in Morocco

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 6:31pm On Feb 12
kendrick9:
I remember coming on here before the tournament and after the first game and said Iwobi wasn't good enough. I said if the Eagles are relying on him to be their creative hub then this team isn't serious.
I wonder if many of you guys here watch football or just blinded by sentiments.
Iwobi has been a senior professional for over a decade and no one knows what position or kind of player he is.
I proposed moving him to the left wing in the future to compete with Simon or whoever there cause Iwobi is nowhere near a creative player.
Funny enough I don't think he was bad in this tournament and I think the criticism is way overblown.
He's just Iwobi, average and just like the others in the team technically proficient when up against any decent side

Its common sense, Pjes wanted to use a makeshift AM to win a tournament of AFCON magnitude. He planned to adopt defenseive method by loading the defense with players, leaving the midfield porous and depends on the attackers to knock one ball in and boom we will win the trophy. Well , this tactics worked for a while until you meet a ball playing, complete team with a sound coach like Cote d'ivoire

It's very irresponsible, gullible and unforgivable to go to the AFCON without any attacking midfielder. We have been yelling about Lack of creative midfielders in the team and this half baked soccer watchers kept behaving like it's an election. They claimed we don't have any decent midfielders which I considered a lazy man excuse. We are over 180 million in population with hundreds of soccer players littered all over our streets plus those playing abroad and you want to tell me you can't find a decent midfielders That's nonsense

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:31pm On Feb 12
yinkeys:

Those 10 goals could have been saved for the tournament proper
Well, no one can deny that he helped his team even though he scored once.

In terms of goals it's disappointing but hardluck played its part.

Victor will be back💪
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mrwilliams9: 6:32pm On Feb 12
It’s good to analyze our performance now that the dust has settled with a clear head.

People saying Iwobi isn’t good enough should answer me this: who can we call up in place?

While scouting for a proper no 10 we should continue to utilize what we have now. When we have an adequate replacement, then you can phase him out. You don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.

Our success at this tourney was on being defensively solid, but our weakness was our midfield was thin and could control the game when needed/create enough.

The midfield issue has been something many have spoken about pre-tournament. No point rehashing it.

Once we got to the finals, it was about making the necessary adjustments to overcome our weaknesses with the personal that we had. Onyedika and Yusuf to add more MF steel instead of Chukwueze.

Our boys overperformed given how we were playing before hand. We need to commend them for their effort and look on how we’ll build forward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 6:34pm On Feb 12
Additionally , a player like Osimhen need a very intelligent and creative players around him to excel otherwise he will be very limited to pressing and hoping for a defenders slip up. Osimhen is highly limited in technical abilities

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:35pm On Feb 12

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 6:35pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:
No one can deny that he helped his team even though he scored once.

In terms, of goals victor will be back💪
Sure
I Dey joke
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 6:38pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:

* Scudetto champion,
* Serie A golden boot,
*Afcon '23 finalist.

He's truly a monster

🥱 Carry monster go win Afcon .... Them think say na Jungle be this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:39pm On Feb 12
Omanambala:
Additionally , a player like Osimhen need a very intelligent and creative players around him to excel otherwise he will be very limited to pressing and hoping for a defenders slip up. Osimhen is highly limited in technical abilities
I think Boniface was also missed guy is intelligent and skilfull. Ndidi too for his new found capabilities going forward.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 6:39pm On Feb 12
mrwilliams9:
It’s good to analyze our performance now that the dust has settled with a clear head.

People saying Iwobi isn’t good enough should answer me this: who can we call up in place?

While scouting for a proper no 10 we should continue to utilize what we have now. When we have an adequate replacement, then you can phase him out. You don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.

Our success at this tourney was on being defensively solid, but our weakness was our midfield was thin and could control the game when needed/create enough.

The midfield issue has been something many have spoken about pre-tournament. No point rehashing it.

Once we got to the finals, it was about making the necessary adjustments to overcome our weaknesses with the personal that we had. Onyedika and Yusuf to add more MF steel instead of Chukwueze.

Our boys overperformed given how we were playing before hand. We need to commend them for their effort and look on how we’ll build forward.

So , if Iwobi stops playing soccer today we will close Super Eagles. What is going on in your heads ?

By the way, I am not one of those who said he "isn't good" BUT I don't want Iwobi near our midfield. He gets very jittery, overwhelmed and lost in that position. He doesn't have to intelligence, stamina and vision to play there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 6:41pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:
I think Boniface was also missed guy is intelligent and skilfull. Ndidi too for his new found capabilities going forward.

I am agreeing with everything but I hope you are not planning to sneak in Ndid as a DLPM or any creative role other than DM. If you try that you will have yourself to blame

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mrwilliams9: 6:43pm On Feb 12
Omanambala:

I hope he gets mad and quit the national team. That nigga has nothing to offer Nigeria. Very lazy, weak and uninspiring. Make Iwobi go siddon

Why would we want a MF that has taken us to an AFCON final that is still very young to quit the SE? That is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If anything we should be happy to know we have an experienced head that can charge us in the next AFCON. We bring back Ndidi and scout for other creative players as well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mrwilliams9: 6:46pm On Feb 12
Omanambala:

So , if Iwobi stops playing soccer today we will close Super Eagles. What is going on in your heads ?

By the way, I am not one of those who said he "isn't good" BUT I don't want Iwobi near our midfield. He gets very jittery, overwhelmed and lost in that position. He doesn't have to intelligence, stamina and vision to play there.

I don’t think anyone here will disagree with you about Iwobi not being a proper CM. To play Iwobi, you need two actual midfielders behind him so he can be freed from defensive responsibilities.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dsimmer: 6:52pm On Feb 12
zicky:
Nigerians always want to look for a scapegoat, he's not the cause of the team losing the finals, neither was he the cause of the team playing the way they did, if Aribo was there in place of iwoji, it will still be the same result if not worse.

I doubt. Did you see Aribo in the last afcon tournament? He was fantastic! Funny it was same Iwobi who spoilt the last afcon as well, aside the goalkeeper.

In Aribo first start against Guinea Bissau in this afcon, Guinea Bissau could only feed on little scrap while Nigeria controlled much of the midfield till Aribo left. Only thing was he wasn't audacious by creating much like he was in the last afcon but it was expected since it was his first start in the tournament however he controlled that midfield. In fact, It was only after Aribo left the pitch that Guinea started to get sniff at Nigeria goalpost and even scored a goal which was cancelled. As I said , if a team could control the midfield, much headless chicken running wouldn't be needed much.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 6:53pm On Feb 12
yinkeys:

grin
If we get our acts right
That was Mourinho tournament football you watched
looool.... That tactics nearly won you the cup u know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 6:55pm On Feb 12
kennysville:

I don't think so. Just that we will have to find a way to beat SA in Naija and hope for a draw or win in Johannesburg. They are the toughest opponent currently cos they seem to have a belief they can take Nigeria 🇳🇬 on.
then u guys have to go on full attack mode when SA comes to Abuja. Should they get a draw or win in Nigeria then u guys will be in trouble
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 6:57pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:
Peseiro has resigned
it's not true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:58pm On Feb 12
It’s this same fairytale I pointed out earlier. It’s so good on paper and it’s been making the news rounds. It always seemed to me that we will lose in the final, although I wanted us to win badly.

… They were demoralised on home soil by Equatorial Guinea, dismissed their head coach, only qualified for the knockouts as one of the four "lucky losers" among the third-placed teams, eliminated holders Senegal on penalties after a late equaliser, ousted Mali in the 122nd minute despite playing with 10 men for well over an hour, and now lift Africa's premier sporting title in front of their adoring public.

This is the same public, of course, who booed them remorselessly, even hurled projectiles at the players in disgust, after that 4-0 mauling by Equatorial Guinea. However, now they serenaded their heroes -- as they did against Mali -- with an impromptu a cappella rendition of "L'Abidjanaise," the country's national anthem, to give Les Éléphants a boost from the terraces after William Troost-Ekong's first-half header had given Nigeria the lead.

With momentum on their side, this Ivorian side - enjoying a new lease of life under interim head coach Emerse Faé, appointed after that group-stage rout -- feel like they're capable of anything, and when Franck Kessié equalised from a corner, the hosts grew while their opponents steadily ran out of ideas.

Unlike earlier in the tournament, Les Éléphants were comfortably the better team here, with Jean-Michael Seri, in particular, controlling things from the heart of the midfield as the hosts were allowed to assert themselves by their timid Nigeria counterparts.

Faé deserves credit for the bold personnel decisions he's taken earlier in the campaign -- there was no place for Nicolas Pépé, Jérémie Boga or Jonathan Bamba during the final -- and his decision to remove Max Gradel and Sèrge Aurier (with 200 caps between them) with 20 minutes to play was another striking decision by the rookie coach.

It paid off, as the Ivorians' influence grew -- they registered 18 shots to Nigeria's five, with over 62% possession -- and the muscular Seko Fofana and Kessié gave the visitors little scope for control or expression.…

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39507809/ivory-coast-kings-afcon-nigeria-rue-peseiros-decisions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 6:59pm On Feb 12
mrwilliams9:

I don’t think anyone here will disagree with you about Iwobi not being a proper CM. To play Iwobi, you need two actual midfielders behind him so he can be freed from defensive responsibilities.

There is also a problem with playing him near the 18yd box. He cant play long balls, he can't shoot, hi aerial abilities are very poor. I don't care what Iwobi does but I don't need him in SE. He is very weak as a man

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:16pm On Feb 12
leathalbeast:
it's not true
Well I saw it on Facebook
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dsimmer: 7:19pm On Feb 12
Omanambala:

There is also a problem with playing him near the 18yd box. He cant play long balls, he can't shoot, hi aerial abilities are very poor. I don't care what Iwobi does but I don't need him in SE. He is very weak as a man

Iwobi could be used as a wing forward. Of course He's not a CM who can control much of the midfield. As a wing forward, I dunno since he played as a 10/a forward in the last afcon but he could make do as a forward, who knows.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 7:20pm On Feb 12
Joebie:
It’s this same fairytale I pointed out earlier. It’s so good on paper and it’s been making the news rounds. It always seemed to me that we will lose in the final, although I wanted us to win badly.

… They were demoralised on home soil by Equatorial Guinea, dismissed their head coach, only qualified for the knockouts as one of the four "lucky losers" among the third-placed teams, eliminated holders Senegal on penalties after a late equaliser, ousted Mali in the 122nd minute despite playing with 10 men for well over an hour, and now lift Africa's premier sporting title in front of their adoring public.

This is the same public, of course, who booed them remorselessly, even hurled projectiles at the players in disgust, after that 4-0 mauling by Equatorial Guinea. However, now they serenaded their heroes -- as they did against Mali -- with an impromptu a cappella rendition of "L'Abidjanaise," the country's national anthem, to give Les Éléphants a boost from the terraces after William Troost-Ekong's first-half header had given Nigeria the lead.

With momentum on their side, this Ivorian side - enjoying a new lease of life under interim head coach Emerse Faé, appointed after that group-stage rout -- feel like they're capable of anything, and when Franck Kessié equalised from a corner, the hosts grew while their opponents steadily ran out of ideas.

Unlike earlier in the tournament, Les Éléphants were comfortably the better team here, with Jean-Michael Seri, in particular, controlling things from the heart of the midfield as the hosts were allowed to assert themselves by their timid Nigeria counterparts.

Faé deserves credit for the bold personnel decisions he's taken earlier in the campaign -- there was no place for Nicolas Pépé, Jérémie Boga or Jonathan Bamba during the final -- and his decision to remove Max Gradel and Sèrge Aurier (with 200 caps between them) with 20 minutes to play was another striking decision by the rookie coach.

It paid off, as the Ivorians' influence grew -- they registered 18 shots to Nigeria's five, with over 62% possession -- and the muscular Seko Fofana and Kessié gave the visitors little scope for control or expression.…

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39507809/ivory-coast-kings-afcon-nigeria-rue-peseiros-decisions

Anyone booing or making mockery of Cote d'ivoire shaky start to the AFCON is only being silly. Because when you pay closer attention to the caliber of players they parade you will understand that team is more star studded the the SE. It was only a matter of time before they found their bearings and that happened right after the group stages. That Ivorian team deserved to lift the trophy because they were the better side and SE should be proud of themselves. No need to bicker about. We can strengthen our team by adding more AM.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 7:23pm On Feb 12
MetalJigsaw:
Well I saw it on Facebook
but it hasn't been confirmed so I'm sure it's not true

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15855) (15856) (15857) (15858) (15859) (15860) (15861) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbengaolu360, Oasis007(m), daveP(m), yemyke001(m), Philosopher1979 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.