Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15861) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11695289 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15858) (15859) (15860) (15861) (15862) (15863) (15864) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:51pm On Feb 12
Goke7:

yes na very easy thing to do
don't go off track. I did not say it was easy to do. You said ekong comes forward to score for us but his goals have come from a corner kick and 2 penalties. How is that coming forward to score?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BlueMann: 10:51pm On Feb 12
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 10:52pm On Feb 12
Princezibk:
small yansh dey shake ooo 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your team is continuously raped by minnows ,,, back to back Afcon lackluster performances and you get mouth talk … Your yeye afcon you won during 4/8 nations tournament 🏟 naah trophy You’re senseless and shameless 😏😏

Ape 🦍 looking Ghanaians 🤣🤣🤣
looool i feel your pain bro... It will eventually be okay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 11:22pm On Feb 12
akwesenana:
God bless you bro.
Amen. You too boss 🙌🏾
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 11:27pm On Feb 12
Kog45:
Oga naso Nwakali kept against Mexico conceded 4 goals and anytime his name comes up na Nwakali ke but miles ahead of Uzoho and Maduka....yes Maduka is Udinese number one and I watched all his matches,nothing special except his first match against Cagliary in FA cup,he conceded goals that Nwabali would saves with ease....my point enough of overrating European based goalkeepers......Nwabali in NPFL would not have make Afcon team......Christian Nwoke and Osayi Kingdom are keepers will need now to complement Nwabali not keepers that do not have any remarkable performance in eagles colour despite the opportunities given to them.
Nothing special still? 😒

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:30pm On Feb 12
forgiveness:

Saka that is far better than our players didn't retire after he was cursed for loosing the penalty. grin

I no support cyber bullying ooo.

Odion Ighalo was bashed left right and centre after 2018 World Cup performance, he came back to Afcon 2019 and became the highest goal scorer. Maguire (even Ghana Parliament use am do example), Onana have all suffered yet they keep going stronger for their teams.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:39pm On Feb 12
forgiveness:

The only playes left on my list are Onyedika and Zaidu. The rest should take a bow.

Onyedika is DMF and that's primary role. If you're looking for a defence splitting midfielder, take to Oliseh to play for Nigeria.

Let's talk about the DM and or holding midfielder role. That role is absolutely crucial, and it's the core strength and for many it's where things are orchestrated from.

Classic example is Rodri Spain and Manchester City. He can attack shoot long and short both feet, with an array of passes that are precise long and short. He can tackle, anticipate and intercept..He has the skill set to dominate in 1v 1 situation, his ball holding and ability to do defence splitting passes excellent he can dribble and is unpredictable. Add to that the ability to defend,
robustly and tackle aggressively.

What I've described is the modern day quintessential quality top level DM ( Holding Midfielder orchestrator)

Now tell me which of these attributes can be associated with Onyedika, Onyeka and Ndidi, who you want to build the team around.

A few informative screen shots to anchor ⚓ my opinion which is not just mine alone. See below

A system is only as good as the players you have playing it.

I think 🤔 you should have a rethink.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:42pm On Feb 12
komekn:

Let's talk about the DM and or holding midfielder role. That role is absolutely crucial, and it's the core strength and for many it's where things are orchestrated from.

Classic example is Rodri Spain and Manchester City. He can attack shootong and short both feet, with an array of passes that are precise long and short. He can tackle, anticipate and intercept..He has the skill set to dominate in 1v 1 situation, his ball holding and ability to do defence splitting passes excellent he can dribble and is unpredictable. Add to that the ability to defend,

What I've described is the modern day quintessential quality top level DM ( Holding Midfielder orchestrator)

Now tell me which of these attributes can be associated with Onyedika, Onyeka and Ndidi, who you want to build the team around.

A few informative screen shots to anchor ⚓ my opinion which is not just mine alone. See below

Remove Rodri from Mancity and see him play his normal game. What you see is Pep style imposed on him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dsimmer: 11:55pm On Feb 12
komekn:

Classic example is Rodri Spain and Manchester City. He can attack shootong and short both feet, with an array of passes that are precise long and short. He can tackle, anticipate and intercept..He has the skill set to dominate in 1v 1 situation, his ball holding and ability to do defence splitting passes excellent he can dribble and is unpredictable. Add to that the ability to defend,

Holding midfield role has 2 different types. There are playmaking holding midfielders like Alonso, Kroos, Rodri, Busquet etc. While there are defensive holding midfielders such as Rice, Bissouma etc..

Generally, holding midfielders should have good awareness, ability to read the game, good positional discipline and ability to provide passing lane option for the defence in order to build/transition the play from the back defence. Their job isn't to run around.

On the other hand, the playmaking holding midfielders have got playmaking attributes such as good technique, much better awareness, ability to dictate the tempo of play etc, added with the aforementioned attributes already mentioned however they may not be as defensively solid as the defensive holding midfielders but they've equally got the ability to read the game and good positional discipline nonetheless as a holding midfielder.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 11:58pm On Feb 12
If peseiro goes Tom saintfelt should be our next coach. He has an impeccable record in African football.
He has been trying to coach us for a long time

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 12:01am On Feb 13
Odunayaw:
If to say him add improvement to him craze, he for fit the kind fans wey him get.

Anyway, the country will get what it deserves laslas. Make them continue
You no remember that fan wey call Uzoho goat under Nnadozie post? 🤣
Uzoho replied, "you see wetin this goat don achieve, your family till the fifth generation no fit achieve am 🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 12:02am On Feb 13
Princezibk:
What has your Kundusi helped you attain Nincompoop 🤣🤣🤣🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍
🥱
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 12:06am On Feb 13
charlesemeka85:
Okoye’s major crime even before his mistake against Tunisia is that he is good looking 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I swear! Till today, nobody can convince me that that Tunisia goal is Okoye's fault!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Thazard(m): 12:12am On Feb 13
Goke7:

Odion Ighalo was bashed left right and centre after 2018 World Cup performance, he came back to Afcon 2019 and became the highest goal scorer. Maguire (even Ghana Parliament use am do example), Onana have all suffered yet they keep going stronger for their teams.
grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:59am On Feb 13
Africa's Best Football Clubs (2024)

1. Mamelodi Sundowns 🇿🇦

2. Al Ahly 🇪🇬

3. Raja Casablanca 🇲🇦

4. FAR Rabat 🇲🇦

5. CR Belouizdad 🇩🇿

6. Young Africans SC 🇹🇿

7. Esperance 🇹🇳

8. MC Alger 🇩🇿

9. Pyramids FC 🇪🇬

10. Wydad Casablanca 🇲🇦

11. Petro de Luanda 🇦🇴

12. Simba SC 🇹🇿

13. USM Alger 🇩🇿

14. RS Berkane 🇲🇦

15. FUS Rabat 🇲🇦

Source: OPTA Power Rankings.

No NPFL club 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 4:59am On Feb 13
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 5:51am On Feb 13
Our midfield was flattened,I expected the Coach to convert to 3-5-2 with Yusuf,onyedika and onyeka as natural midfielders.
They were operating from midfield to the wings
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:48am On Feb 13
Maduka Okoye made 6 saves “MOTM” and kept a clean sheet in Udinese's Serie A win over Juventus 🦅🇳🇬

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 7:05am On Feb 13
zuchyblink:
Our midfield was flattened,I expected the Coach to convert to 3-5-2 with Yusuf,onyedika and onyeka as natural midfielders.
They were operating from midfield to the wings

I expected him to switch to a 3-5-2 formation also.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 7:16am On Feb 13
minfelix:

so surulere national stadium capacity na 150million🤣

Am sure you got the point. And yes it was 150 million in the stadium
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:35am On Feb 13
Goke7:

That should be the mentality.

All human beings have different ways of reacting to situations but the most successful are those with strong mindset.

Iwobi needs to see this a a slip and not a fall then he can stand up and come back next year to shut those bad mouths with player of the tournament performance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:55am On Feb 13
charlesemeka85:
Okoye’s major crime even before his mistake against Tunisia is that he is good looking 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Carl Ikeme is ugly and Uzoho is handsome abi...I want to tell you if Okoye perform brilliantly for eagles today you see fans hailing him and good for him is doing it week in week out in seria A,watching him against Juventus am impressed,top performance which I rated over his performance against Cagliary.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 8:22am On Feb 13
Now Okoye don turn best thing since sliced bread....
When him dey concede 4 goals back to back nobody come here dey wax lyrical O.

Players need to be called out so they can work harder.

Before una come for my head, pause and read what I wrote and understand before you respond

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 8:33am On Feb 13
kennysville:
Now Okoye don turn best thing since sliced bread....
When him dey concede 4 goals back to back nobody come here dey wax lyrical O.

Players need to be called out so they can work harder.

Before una come for my head, pause and read what I wrote and understand before you respond
My brother the thing taya me o.. One will think Okoye was dropping bangers before one mistake made people turn against him.
Nigerians eh grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:44am On Feb 13
forgiveness:

That should be the mentality.

All human beings have different ways of reacting to situations but the most successful are those with strong mindset.

Iwobi needs to see this a a slip and not a fall then he can stand up and come back next year to shut those bad mouths with player of the tournament performance.

and that's the kind of players we need in our national team not spoilt brats. Until Messi won the World Cup, he was bashed by Argentina (a whole Messi) that he could never be like Maradona, even Diego Simeone said he's not a leader but today the story is different. jeje my brother na so life be

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:59am On Feb 13
Philosopher1979:
If peseiro goes Tom saintfelt should be our next coach. He has an impeccable record in African football.
He has been trying to coach us for a long time

Tom was shitty in this AFCON sha

But I like him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:59am On Feb 13
BankyGee:

You no remember that fan wey call Uzoho goat under Nnadozie post? 🤣
Uzoho replied, "you see wetin this goat don achieve, your family till the fifth generation no fit achieve am 🤣🤣🤣
grin Na wetin fit them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:39am On Feb 13
AIG07:
I do not understand the rationale behind singling out players for blame in a team who played it all to the final.

Pointing fingers to one or two players is uncalled for.

The boys put in a great shift through out the tournaments and so must be encouraged going forward.

If I were to pin down the team's failure to lift the coveted trophy to anything. Then it has to be FATIGUE. The players were both physically and mentally tired. That was the sole reason we lost the match.

The entire team(first 11) were tired and worn out as at the semis. It reflected in the final match. There was no more gas in their tank from the 40th minutes. The midfield collapsed, the defense weren't helping and pressing from the front was non-existent.

Poor player rotation was partly responsible for this. CAF(the tournament organizers) made room for 27 players, we took 25 players to the tournament. Reason for this is unknown. We ran out of options the moment some players took their foot off the gas due to tiredness.

Going forward, I'll suggest top quality Physios and Psychologists be employed if not always, but during tournaments like this one.

Quality Recovery session can't be over emphasized and are very important to getting the best out of the team in the next game.

Iwobi should be spared of all this insults. Dude wasn't even on the pitch when we conceded the goal against SA and likewise the second goal against CIV. He has been unfairly criticized. I hope he recovers from this.

Gracias!

Agreed 💯%

What makes Manchester City so good is the strength and depth of squad.

In a grueling physically draining and intense two week tournament you need strength 💪🏿 of depth in your squad.

That means no favours no sentiment and absolutely no passengers. What's your engine 🚂 room, the midfield. What do you need creativity , innovation, physicality, skill and stamina. Player's need to hit the ground running.

I am shocked 😲 I didn't realise we had two slots not taken up that could have been filled. You must take the best available.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40am On Feb 13
Omanambala:

I dont know why people go this extent to express their disappointment but I hope the coaches understand why. We need a proper midfielder

Like who ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:49am On Feb 13
minfelix:

with this statistics, nobody should come here again and hype one nonsense golden generation playing an 8team- Afcon tournament and getting beaten at almost all the final…imagine cameroon beating you in 3finals…abeg abeg mae una free iwobi and co, their predecessors were the main all time underachieving over-hype golden generation….Iwobi this Iwobi that.
intimidating young Nigerians playing their heart out for the nation…i follow Bafana Bafana page…see the massive support and how they rallied behind their players after that penalty loss to eagles…our own because Aina loss penalty some idiots have started talking him down….all these useless black smelling teeth analyst masquerading themselves as super eagles fans na God go punish ina…
Frustrate Okoye to quit eagles
Frustrated Vic Moses to quit eagles
Frustrated Ighalo to quit eagles
now they wanna frustrate Iwobi….walai if i be osimhen and any f**king blame comes to my page i will hire boys that will handle the page to give u guys the back to back vawulence and quit ina f**king eagles team…i love the response uzoho gave all those useless critics that period

The depths of hypocrisy, double standard and bigotry are unparalleled .

I have noticed that emotive favouritism and sentiment surrounding some players means they can do no wrong.

Let me say it , you can all call it HATE. VO played every single game and got one goal 🥅. Yes he pressed, yes he tackled and fought was relentless and worked himself to exhaustion. But he scores one goal missed several chances from good balls.

But not a word of criticism, only one goal in the AFCON from the African footballer of the year .

I watched the criticism given to IGHALO after all he had done. How is it we can have Musa in the squad who has done nothing for club and league but IGHALO forgotten.

The hypocrisy is beyond measure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:56am On Feb 13
forgiveness:

Remove Rodri from Mancity and see him play his normal game. What you see is Pep style imposed on him.

Maybe so maybe not.

But I am talking about individual player abilities, in this regard can Ndidi, Onyeka and Onyedika to what Rodri can do ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:58am On Feb 13
Dsimmer:

Holding midfield role has 2 different types. There are playmaking holding midfielders like Alonso, Kroos, Rodri, Busquet etc. While there are defensive holding midfielders such as Rice, Bissouma etc..

Generally, holding midfielders should have good awareness, ability to read the game, good positional discipline and ability to provide passing lane option for the defence in order to build/transition the play from the back defence. Their job isn't to run around.

On the other hand, the playmaking holding midfielders have got playmaking attributes such as good technique, much better awareness, ability to dictate the tempo of play etc, added with the aforementioned attributes already mentioned however they may not be as defensively solid as the defensive holding midfielders but they've equally got the ability to read the game and good positional discipline nonetheless as a holding midfielder.

We are saying the same thing essentially.

Modern top level DM can not be one dimensional.

All these attributes do you see them in Ndidi , Onyeka and Onyedika.❓

(1) (2) (3) ... (15858) (15859) (15860) (15861) (15862) (15863) (15864) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m), elyte89, Napoleon55(m), chrisooblog, Nomyth, Jefersoun and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.