Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,995 members, 7,863,575 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11947593 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16183) (16184) (16185) (16186) (16187) (16188) (16189) ... (16362) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:48am On May 18
komekn:

Docherty is capping for the press.

Oviemuno and Lookman where among several players who came to the London screening which he Docherty was a part of at the time.

But they were not selected Ovie was at Arsenal then and a top prospect. Ademola at Charlton.

And I've spoken to Ovie and several other Nigerian origin players. The NFF officials are preoccupied sorry obsessed with cutting βœ‚οΈ deals with agents on behalf of players. These are players willing to sign and do anything for the dream of playing in Europe.

Out NFF officials are merciless predators in it for one thing personal interest. The exception to that is Finidi.

There is corruption in the England selection as well however as you get to U18 it gets reduced but not wiped out.

And many Nigerian origin players would rather choose Nigeria at this over England believe me I know what I'm talking about.

When Doherty talks, he backs it up with both quotes, interviews and pictorial(videos) evidences, but you want us to overlook that in favour of your usual cock and bull stories that are always devoid of substance? Mai'friend will you shut up there!!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:53am On May 18
ChrisKels:

When Doherty talks, he backs it up with both quotes, interviews and pictorial evidences, but you want us to overlook that in favour of your usual cock and bull stories that are always devoid of substance? Mai'friend will you shut up there!!!

Komekn shld disappoint us one day and just post a pic evidence to back up his claims dt truly he speaks with dis players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:22am On May 18
elyte89:

Komekn shld disappoint us one day and just post a pic evidence to back up his claims dt truly he speaks with dis players

He knows shit and doesn't speak with no one. Nobody sabi am, and him no sabi anyone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:28am On May 18
lbrichman2:

Yeah he sure is..
I pray they get into the UCL group stage next season
Would like to see him against better players

Well, he's already proven himself in Europe (in the first edition of the Uefa Europa Conference League), where he finished as the highest goalscorer with about 10 or 11 goals, but yeah, I'd really like to see him play against the big boys in the Uefa Champions League next season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 11:29am On May 18
komekn:

Docherty is capping for the press.

Oviemuno and Lookman where among several players who came to the London screening which he Docherty was a part of at the time.

But they were not selected Ovie was at Arsenal then and a top prospect. Ademola at Charlton.

And I've spoken to Ovie and several other Nigerian origin players. The NFF officials are preoccupied sorry obsessed with cutting βœ‚οΈ deals with agents on behalf of players. These are players willing to sign and do anything for the dream of playing in Europe.

Out NFF officials are merciless predators in it for one thing personal interest. The exception to that is Finidi.

There is corruption in the England selection as well however as you get to U18 it gets reduced but not wiped out.

And many Nigerian origin players would rather choose Nigeria at this over England believe me I know what I'm talking about.

Two things can be true at the same time. Doherty had a context for this post and it wasn't the corruption at the NFF. He had at another time spoken about the corruption in the NFF and the football competition he organized for players of Nigerian descent (which you acknowledged). He really has no neee to cap here, they guy shows workings.

The crux of the post is for Nigerians to show grace to players as they make their decisions.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:29am On May 18
ChrisKels:

He knows shit and doesn't speak with no one. Nobody sabi am, and him no sabi anyone.

Lol πŸ˜‚β€¦dis guy ,komekn go jail u one day πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€,he always claim he lives in London ,now wey I Dey here ,baba change mouth say him neva live here b4 …I wan c d guy πŸ˜€
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:32pm On May 18
I no believe say dt udogie no make Italian team

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:35pm On May 18
Joebie:
In terms of cohesiveness and team chemistry, we are not gonna beat them. This is where some brilliant individual play from big game players are needed. We have to also outwit them tactically as we expect them to do lots of running and dancing around the ball

Finidi has shown glimpses of what he can do. I believe he has the potential to not just outplay the South Africans but also to beat them.

I will know if i am right about Finidi, when i see his invitation of a certain kind of players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:54pm On May 18
The defeat we suffered against Mali can be excused given that Finidi did not prepare the list of invited players.

In the matches against Ghana and Mali, Finidi revealed glimpses of what he can do.

However his list of player invitations, will tell me whether to dismiss my observations as mere coincidence.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:45pm On May 18
πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·πŸ—£οΈ Lionel Scaloni: "We are losing the essence of football. Not only at a professional level, but also with kids."

"My children play in Spain and are overwhelmed with information. They receive the ball, and they're already being told what to do."

"There are fewer dribblers because if they barely get the ball and you say, 'Pass it!'... Imagine if Messi, when he was eight years old, had been constantly told by his coaches to "Pass it!" We wouldn't have him today."

"Football has become such a huge thing, everyone reads, studies, and thinks that with that, they can already manage."

"If you tell a 7 or 8-year-old to make a diagonal run, cover defensively... He's seven years old! Let him play with the ball, make mistakes, and when he's 14 or 15, then we can start correcting."

"It's a message for the future. This is a sport, and the beauty of football should not be lost."

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Softbreastt: 2:48pm On May 18
Bonigoal...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:54pm On May 18
charlesemeka85:
πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·πŸ—£οΈ Lionel Scaloni: "We are losing the essence of football. Not only at a professional level, but also with kids."

"My children play in Spain and are overwhelmed with information. They receive the ball, and they're already being told what to do."

"There are fewer dribblers because if they barely get the ball and you say, 'Pass it!'... Imagine if Messi, when he was eight years old, had been constantly told by his coaches to "Pass it!" We wouldn't have him today."

"Football has become such a huge thing, everyone reads, studies, and thinks that with that, they can already manage."

"If you tell a 7 or 8-year-old to make a diagonal run, cover defensively... He's seven years old! Let him play with the ball, make mistakes, and when he's 14 or 15, then we can start correcting."

"It's a message for the future. This is a sport, and the beauty of football should not be lost."

πŸ˜‚

Better kids learn information that works than running with their thoughts in their heads. Scaloni should tell us if Messi is not one of the best tactical minds in the game. Best the kids become better at what will take them far than wasting their time dribbling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 2:57pm On May 18
komekn:

You have it completely wrong 😞.

National team coaches have very limited time with their players. National team is not where you come to learn, it is where you bring what YOU HAVE.

Your unique skill sets, abilities, attributes and competencies. These different components of a player will be developed primarily at your club. Not over two weeks or less in the national team set up.

For instance, in England and across Europe 🌍 you will not 🚫 find a single player coming from grass roots football at U15 youth National team. In England the players will come from EPL predominantly and a few from the Championship.

This is where they train and play 4/5 times a week sometimes even more. The club will have the greatest influence over the players development at this stage.

At U15 level barely 20% will end up playing top level professional football ⚽, if that. That percentile increases as you go up to U17/19/21.

As a consequence the National team coaches having these players for a very limited time. Will concentrate on team formation,tactic, and strategy not 🚫 individual development.

Unless the government invests in infrastructure the percentage % of players coming from Europe born and or nurtured will increase not decrease. As it stands we don't have a single player coming from the NPFL as it stands in the SE.

If not for corruption and the recruitment included players at U17 level coming from Europe what percentage of players coming from local academies in Nigeria would be in the U17 ❓

I remember Ademola and Oviemuno were rejected at U17 screening that took place in London many years ago. It was shrouded in under handed practices quite disgracefully.
Where exactly did I have it completely wrong?
that we should not have competent coaches manage our age grades and discover talented players to be developed and nurtured for future use?

Many great players came through from our youth program or age grade teams.
The likes of
Kanu,
Babayaro,
Oruma,
Mikel,
Osimhen,
Ikpeba,
Chukwueze,
Ndidi,
Iheanacho,
Awoniyi etc.

It was after good performance from from age grade competitions that most of these players were signed by European clubs.

Do u think an incompetent coach would be able to spot good and talented players and train them into a championship winning team?
there by exposing them for everyone to see making it easier for them to attract foreign clubs and becomes professionals for supers eagles coaches to select

Or what would u have us do?
wait for those foreign born with all those privileges,trained from the cradle by foreign clubs,
then start dragging them with other countries, start holding meetings upon meetings with their parents, agents and their representatives before we can get some of them to play for us,yet we won't be able to get the best of them to represent us no matter how hard we try.

No,we are much more capable of producing our our talents who would represent us with pride,it does matter where they end up being nurtured and trained into a full blown professionals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 3:04pm On May 18
elyte89:
Tomori for ogbona
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 3:18pm On May 18
Cyriel Dessers got an assist in Rangers' draw against Hearts this afternoon. Now has 22 goals and 9 assists for the season.

Victor Boniface also scored for Leverkusen. Match is still on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:23pm On May 18
The fans disagree! He costs them the league with his ridiculous misses.
COOL10:
Forgot to update this, but on Tuesday, Cyriel Dessers scored his 22nd goal of the season, and finally took his goal contribution tally to an impressive number of 30 (22 goals and 8 assists) --- the highest by any Nigerian currently playing in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong).

This is his first season for Rangers and he's already made 30 goal contributions. Banger of a season he's having. 😎

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 3:23pm On May 18
komekn:

Athletics is not football ⚽.

Talent has to be developef and U17 football particularly in Nigeria is just potential talent. There is huge gulf between youth football and first team football.

Do we have in Nigeria the infrastructure and top level coaches to ensure that talent doesn't die in potential.

Talent is going to have to be nurtured, educated, trained and created into top level footballers in the top level professional football clubs. Not in obalende united fc.
And what are u trying to say?
that we should not be serious with our age grade teams?
did anybody said we should be serious so we can use our age grade and youth teams to execute our world cup qualifiers from instance ?

All age grade teams are regarded as developmental,because of that,care should be taken in handling through these process, not just any coach should be given the job,not just any player should be selected into our youth teams.

making available a good infrastructure is part of being serious.

we do not have top level coaches,and top level professional clubs but Obalende united fcs,yet we have been able to discover the likes of Kanu,Okocha and Osimhen right here in Nigeria,
what I'm saying is that,we can do more.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:32pm On May 18
I judge people based on what they read or listen to.
You value Thiago Alcantara's words but take issue with Scaloni's statement? A man who coached Messi and won the World Cup at 44. Lol!
TheGoodJoe:

πŸ˜‚

Better kids learn information that works than running with their thoughts in their heads. Scaloni should tell us if Messi is not one of the best tactical minds in the game. Best the kids become better at what will take them far than wasting their time dribbling.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:34pm On May 18
But the same Onuachu made him leave Genk! So what is your point. Onuachu will indeed score 50 goals playing in this Rangers team!
komekn:

I don't know, but Sadiq was woeful there and here is Dessers in the same team killing it.

Onuachu played 11 games in the EPL not a single goal πŸ₯…. Turkish league is just one or two steps πŸͺœ higher than the Scottish premier League.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:37pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
I judge people based on what they read or listen to.
You value Thiago Alcantara's words but take issue with Scaloni's statement? A man who coached Messi and won the World Cup at 46. Lol!

I respect Scaloni's but did you put some thoughts into what he is saying. He is speaking against tactical play for kids to allow them develop skills (dribbles).

What use is developing the dribbling when the game today nullifies dribbling to a large extent and tilts towards the more tactical players.

Developing kids in the free to do what they like mindset will mean them being behind their counterparts being trained in modern tactical ideas.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 3:38pm On May 18
TheGoodJoe:

πŸ˜‚

Do u think if Messis or Ronaldinho didn't developed and perfected their dribbling skills,that they would have become among the greatest of all time?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:41pm On May 18
Napoleon55:

Do u think if Messis or Ronaldinho didn't developed and perfected their dribbling skills,that they would have become among the greatest of all time?

We have to consider time. At the time Messi and Ronaldinho were becoming greatest of all time, football defending and tactical play was behind. Today, many teams will not allow too much hugging of the ball. Especially that of Ronaldinho.

Tactics is the new skill.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 3:46pm On May 18
TheGoodJoe:

I respect Scaloni's but did you put some thoughts into what he is saying. He is speaking against tactical play for kids to allow them develop skills (dribbles).

What use is developing the dribbling when the game today nullifies dribbling to a large extent and tilts towards the more tactical players.

Developing kids in the free to do what they like mindset will mean them being behind their counterparts being trained in modern tactical ideas.

Finito.
u can be a great dribbler and a great tactical player at the same time.
It is the decline of great talents that made it looks like today's game nullifies dribbling and skills

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:49pm On May 18
Did you really think deeply about what Thiago said? Lol! Read Scaloni's statement again, slowly this time, to understand it better! Ciao!
TheGoodJoe:

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:50pm On May 18
Another 10 pages of unwarranted argument. My good bro don't go that route, abeg!
Napoleon55:

It is the decline of great talents that made it looks like the game today nullifies dribbling and skills
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:52pm On May 18
Boniface! Getting back to full fitness just at the right time! SA EGBE!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:54pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Another 10 pages of unwarranted argument. My good bro don't go that route, abeg!
grin In fact en

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 3:55pm On May 18
Some takes here are quite disgraceful.

If I speak, they might say I am insulting them but the only thing KDB has over zidane is a UCL final injury list.. Lampard had twice the G/A of KDB in Zidane’s era but no one in that era ever said he was better than Zizou because eye test> numbers..

This comparison is dead on arrival. Stop comparing Zidane with bums like KDB..

Even KDB would be the first person to tell you to lay down the crack pipe.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:58pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Did you really think deeply about what Thiago said? Lol! Read Scaloni's statement again, slowly this time, to understand it better! Ciao!

I have made my point clear. You can counter it with points. The game is too intense and tactical for players to play with freedom.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:59pm On May 18
Joezinho:
Some takes here are quite disgraceful.

If I speak, they might say I am insulting them but the only thing KDB has over zidane is a UCL final injury list.. Lampard had twice the G/A of KDB in Zidane’s era but no one in that era ever said he was better than Zizou because eye test> numbers..

This comparison is dead on arrival. Stop comparing Zidane with bums like KDB..

Even KDB would be the first person to tell you to lay down the crack pipe.

Try to understand the point. No one said De Bruyne is better than Zidane. The point is that Kevin De Bruyne has a more offensively effective pattern of play that makes him trump Zidane when it comes to offensive contributions.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:00pm On May 18
Napoleon55:

It is the decline of great talents that made it looks like the game today nullifies dribbling and skills

I don't think there is a decline of great talents. It is just that now the space concept is more understood and players do not have room to go on football showmanship.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 4:12pm On May 18
elyte89:
He is injured

(1) (2) (3) ... (16183) (16184) (16185) (16186) (16187) (16188) (16189) ... (16362) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Stillwater10, opes, 10cedes, Goke7, chrisooblog, Badbunny, Danielnino00(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.