Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,133 members, 7,863,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11950213 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16184) (16185) (16186) (16187) (16188) (16189) (16190) ... (16364) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 4:17pm On May 18
TheGoodJoe:

Try to understand the point. No one said De Bruyne is better than Zidane. The point is that Kevin De Bruyne has a more offensively effective pattern of play that makes him trump Zidane when it comes to offensive contributions.

Finito.
You may twist it how much you want. There is no aspect where KDB is better than Zidane. Like not a single aspect! You watch KDB, you're watching a box merchant.

You watch Zidane, you watch a combination of Gundo, Benardo and KDB. Highly skilled in every aspect of the game.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 4:23pm On May 18
Don Carlo, Tiago and now Scaloni all made similar statement concerning the robotic football we're now watching today. But our gaffer here with UEFA Doctorate degree coach on this thread believes they're all wrong.

Any Arsenal fan here can bear me witness, Odegaard is more delightful to watch when he plays his own game rather than the robotic positioning he is being forced to play. Same thing with Benardo.

The entertainment aspect of the game is being destroyed. It is not even about the dribbling alone. Let players express their natural ability on the pitch.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 4:23pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Another 10 pages of unwarranted argument. My good bro don't go that route, abeg!
Na Charles wey bring out Scaloni's statements about modern football make TheGoodJoe come out
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 4:34pm On May 18
Joezinho:
Some takes here are quite disgraceful.

If I speak, they might say I am insulting them but the only thing KDB has over zidane is a UCL final injury list.. Lampard had twice the G/A of KDB in Zidane’s era but no one in that era ever said he was better than Zizou because eye test> numbers..

This comparison is dead on arrival. Stop comparing Zidane with bums like KDB..

Even KDB would be the first person to tell you to lay down the crack pipe.
Even in this era,
no man born of woman except Thegoodjoe will think about saying such things ,
that KDB is better Zidan,even though he is trying to retrace his steps gradually by narrowing it down offensive play and effectiveness.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 4:34pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
The fans disagree! He costs them the league with his ridiculous misses.

Well, fans will always be fans. It's not my duty to argue with them, but to state the hard, verifiable and undeniable facts, and the fact right now is that the only reason Rangers still have a shot at winning a trophy this season is because of Cyriel Dessers. His goals qualified them to the cup final.

Take away Dessers's goals in the league this season and Rangers won't even have finished in second place. They'd be fourth or fifth. Dessers's goal against Celtic gave them hope of a comeback, only for Rangers to get themselves a red card and then ended up losing the match.

Besides, it's "Some fans" and not "The fans". Generalising is like putting a dent on and blatantly ignoring the thousands of Rangers fans who love Dessers. Paying attention to what they say is like paying attention to the small section of Nigerian fans who feel that Osimhen cost us the Nations Cup with his multiple big chance misses. 🤷🏽‍♂️

For every anti-Dessers comment you see on a Rangers' social media handle post, you're going to find at least 5-20 more comments criticizing that exact comment, and most of them aren't even Nigerians. They are hardcore Rangers fans who know the truth about Dessers's achievements and aren't too proud to say it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzerooo: 4:37pm On May 18
Meliforme:
The defeat we suffered against Mali can be excused given that Finidi did not prepare the list of invited players.

In the matches against Ghana and Mali, Finidi revealed glimpses of what he can do.

However his list of player invitations, will tell me whether to dismiss my observations as mere coincidence.

His lineup against Mali was very suspect, If it was me I would not have given him the job
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:46pm On May 18
With a striker like Onuachu, Rangers would have walked away with the title! Even Dessers himself said it!
COOL10:

Well, fans will always be fans. It's not my duty to argue with them, but to state the hard, verifiable and undeniable facts, and the fact right now is that the only reason Rangers still have a shot at winning a trophy this season is because of Cyriel Dessers. His goals qualified them to the cup final.

Take away Dessers's goals in the league this season and Rangers won't even have finished in second place. They'd be fourth or fifth. Dessers's goal against Celtic gave them hope of a comeback, only for Rangers to get themselves a red card and then ended up losing the match.

Besides, it's "Some fans" and not "The fans". Generalising is like putting a dent on and blatantly ignoring the thousands of Rangers fans who love Dessers. Paying attention to what they say is like paying attention to the small section of Nigerian fans who feel that Osimhen cost us the Nations Cup with his multiple big chance misses. 🤷🏽‍♂️

For every anti-Dessers comment you see on a Rangers' social media handle post, you're going to find at least 5-20 more comments criticizing that exact comment, and most of them aren't even Nigerians. They are hardcore Rangers fans who know the truth about Dessers's achievements and aren't too proud to say it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:47pm On May 18
Chidi Harmony what a player! Falconets balling but Burkina too no wan gree!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 5:09pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
With a striker like Onuachu, Rangers would have walked away with the title! Even Dessers himself said it!

Lol, now this is getting funny grin.

Intially, you talked about the fans and I corrected that. Now, you've shifted it to Onuachu. What exactly is your point? What are you trying to say? What's the head and tail of your argument?

Obviously, you can't argue with the fact that he currently has 22 goals and 9 assists for the season.

You can't argue with the fact that he's currently the highest scoring Nigerian player in the whole of Europe.

You can't argue with the fact that he has the most goal contributions by any Nigerian player in the whole of Europe.

So, what's your point exactly? His misses? Which striker doesn't miss? Show me a striker that doesn't miss and I'll tell you that's an alien. It's even a blight on the other Nigerian strikers in Europe, because despite Dessers's so called misses, he still ended up outscoring all of them. ALL OF THEM cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 5:18pm On May 18
For me, it is not about statistics. It is how you play! My point is simple.
With the way Rangers played this season any Nigerian striker in top five league will score more than 22 goals in that team.
A Moffi, Awoniyi, and Onuachu will score more in that Rangers team.
Therefore his goals should not be a criteria for his invite above those players. Simple!
Watch our friendlies in the USA against Equador, Mexico etc and see the chances he missed. Against Mali same!
Such player is not reliable!
COOL10:

Lol, now this is getting funny grin.

Intially, you talked about the fans and I corrected that. Now, you've shifted it to Onuachu. What exactly is your point? What are you trying to say? What's the head and tail of your argument?

Obviously, you can't argue with the fact that he currently has 22 goals and 9 assists for the season.

You can't argue with the fact that he's currently the highest scoring Nigerian player in the whole of Europe.

You can't argue with the fact that he has the most goal contributions by any Nigerian player in the whole of Europe.

So, what's your point exactly? His misses? Which striker doesn't miss? Show me a striker that doesn't miss and I'll tell you that's an alien. It's even a blight on the other Nigerian strikers in Europe, because despite Dessers's so called misses, he still ended up outscoring all of them. ALL OF THEM cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 5:22pm On May 18
At the female level, we produce superstar midfielders.
The gap in quality between the Falconets' midfield and that of the Golden Eaglets is enormous.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:35pm On May 18
Napoleon55:

Even in this era,
no man born of woman except Thegoodjoe will think about saying such things ,
that KDB is better Zidan, even though he is trying to retrace his steps gradually by narrowing it down offensive play and effectiveness.

I have never retraced. It is just that as I have said repeatedly, people don't take time to understand points.

Let me give you the Genesis of the story.

I was asked between Zidane and Kevin De Bruyne, who is better.

I said, I can't choose because, THEY PLAY DIFFERENT THINGS.

The person said, I should make a pick. I said if I am to pick, I will take Kevin De Bruyne, due to his OFFENSIVE CONTRIBUTIONS.

Paraphrasing.

People have even come to this thread and gone out of my way to explain to people that my point is not about Kevin De Bruyne but his offensive contributions.

Yet months down the line, people are still missing the point. Even after explaining to you, people will still go back to HE SAID DE BRUYNE IS BETTER THAN ZIDANE. 😂
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 6:09pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
For me, it is not about statistics. It is how you play! My point is simple.
With the way Rangers played this season any Nigerian striker in top five league will score more than 22 goals in that team.
A Moffi, Awoniyi, and Onuachu will score more in that Rangers team.
Therefore his goals should not be a criteria for his invite above those players. Simple!
Watch our friendlies in the USA against Equador, Mexico etc and see the chances he missed. Against Mali same!
Such player is not reliable!

Well, I'm a man of statistics and a very factual person. Numbers rule the world.

In simple terms, what you're saying is that we should ignore a Striker's goals as a prerequisite for invitation.

Do you even know how that sounds? Not only does it sound like you hate the player, it also sounds like plain wickedness. Would you be willing to accept the same conditions for your favourite players?

Going by your logic, we shouldn't have invited Lookman for the Nations Cup just because prior to the Nations Cup, he was barely even average for the Super Eagles.

It's like saying that we shouldn't invite Boniface just because he hasn't done anything of note, for the Super Eagles. Has Moffi been excellent for the Super Eagles? How about we drop him too going by your logic? What about Sadiq Umar?

Dessers has 2 goals in 6 appearances for the Super Eagles and those goals came in 2 starts.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:14pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Boniface! Getting back to full fitness just at the right time! SA EGBE!

Noo SA go win us home and away 😊
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:17pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
At the female level, we produce superstar midfielders.
The gap in quality between the Falconets' midfield and that of the Golden Eaglets is enormous.

Are you watching the match? How is my girl's performance so far? Funke Kudirat Arogundade? I have always seen a great future in her and back in 2021 I told her she was good enough for the Naija junior teams. I was not surprised when I saw her name on the list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:22pm On May 18
Dele Bashiru scores for Hatayaspor against Besiktas

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 6:53pm On May 18
charlesemeka85:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

.....you no dey let it cold. Na hot hot you like to rush am. LOL!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:54pm On May 18
Wow! She did well too! But Effiong, Taiwo, and Harmony are the team Superstars.

The team is complete. The defense, midfield and attack were awesome! What a team!

Even the subs! Phenomenal!
ChrisKels:

Are you watching the match? How is my girl's performance so far? Funke Kudirat Arogundade? I have always seen a great future in her and back in 2021 I told her she was good enough for the Naija junior teams. I was not surprised when I saw her name on the list.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:56pm On May 18
Of course, if Osimhen no dey!
charlesemeka85:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:12pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Of course, if Osimhen no dey!

We re taking maximum 6points from SA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:13pm On May 18
Judging a player by number of goals and appearance shows a statistician that lacks quality ... Even one goal from open play in 6 is a poor return.
A good statistician consider many factors such as chances created, missed, shot on target, off target etc not the peripheral of just goals and appearance.
Based on those factors Dessers does not deserve Super Eagles call.
I am not just a statistician/mathematician myself, I am an economists as well therefore other factors are important to me.
Lookman is not a striker but you can see the talent there. Moffi was great at AFCON.
Sadiq has been poor just like Dessers.
COOL10:

Well, I'm a man of statistics and a very factual person. Numbers rule the world.

In simple terms, what you're saying is that we should ignore a Striker's goals as a prerequisite for invitation.

Do you even know how that sounds? Not only does it sound like you hate the player, it also sounds like plain wickedness. Would you be willing to accept the same conditions for your favourite players?

Going by your logic, we shouldn't have invited Lookman for the Nations Cup just because prior to the Nations Cup, he was barely even average for the Super Eagles.

It's like saying that we shouldn't invite Boniface just because he hasn't done anything of note, for the Super Eagles. Has Moffi been excellent for the Super Eagles? How about we drop him too going by your logic? What about Sadiq Umar?

Dessers has 2 goals in 6 appearances for the Super Eagles and those goals came in 2 starts.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:16pm On May 18
Of course, with Osimhen available for selection!
elyte89:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:16pm On May 18
elyte89:

I can no longer say this confidently after watching them in Ivory Coast
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:17pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Wow! She did well too! But Effiong, Taiwo, and Harmony are the team Superstars.

The team is complete. The defense, midfield and attack were awesome! What a team!

Even the subs! Phenomenal!

Sharp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:37pm On May 18
A player that consistently miss sitters is not good enough for the Super Eagles!
Dessers is not good enough for us.

Osimhen, Boni, Awo, Moffi, and Kele!

Kele can play few other roles!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:14pm On May 18
ChrisKels:

IMO, SA are not that difficult to beat.. they will play their usual game of fast pace possession football.. we just have to find a way to counter it.. the key will be to overload the midfield with ball playing midfielders... I'm interested to see how Finidi will set up his midfield when he takes charge...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:17pm On May 18
ChrisKels:

SA has almost closed the gap between us.
We have to work very hard to take 4 points from them otherwise we will only hope for 3 or 2 points
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:25pm On May 18
ChrisKels:

I am certain dt if we play d same way we played against Ghana, creating enough chances ,we shld come out victorious home and away

Remember dis is finidiball ,not peseiro

So I am not expecting him to play defensively ,d way peseiro did against SA …making dem look like prime Barca
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:48pm On May 18
Kog45:
Recommendation does not give you automatic SPOT.

Sir have you ever attended football screening exercise before?

We recommended and brought James Obiorah for Kwara bomber screening in 1993.He was so young and thin but took him last training match to be picked.....I was part of a group that recommended Dele Aiyenigba to Kwara Star but he was able to convinced the coaches.....We recommended Seyi Olofinjana to late coach Kafaru Alabi of Kwara United and he made it.Also,late Isaac Promise to Kwara United who later captained Siasia teams but failed the trial.

I have numerous players to mention here cuz I know what am talking about regarding open camping exercises.

I have attended series of U17 open camping exercises through my snr bro who is a FIFA licenced agent who always working with academies and great participant of Viareggio and other tournaments.

Sir recommendation does not guaranteed automatic SPOT in open camping screening.
You have practical experience yet TheGoodJoe who only reads newspapers and watches YouTube videos will be arguing with you on matters he has little practical experience. Never ceases to amaze me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:59pm On May 18
Timixion:

KDB is a big part of City’s success? Lmao . Man wasn’t even present when City won its biggest ever trophy(UCL). Rodri carried him.

City also won the league in 2019 without KDB..He missed more than half of the campaign. In 2022, still the same case. How important has he been in that team? Rodri, Gundogan have been way more important that him.

KDB is only listed as a midfielder on formation but in reality he doesn’t play midfield, E.G attached shows his average position in the last game… Further up, even ahead of Haaland.

Most of KDB’s assists is from excessive crossing(attached). Typical RW/SS style of play

The level at which Figo operated was different, he was a ballondor winner & a fifa best winner. KDB has never been the best in the world at any point, he has only been on the BallonDor/Fifa best podium(top3) once in his entire career. His first time ever on the podium was at age 31 which he lost to Benzema. So using Figo as an example makes no sense.

Mind you ,Zidane was on fifa best podium for 6 seasons. He won the award 3x & won Ballondor too. How dare you compare that cross spa mmer to the great Zizou ?

And you said Football is a career thing & not a big game thing. It’s obvious you have zero knowledge about Zidane’s career..

Zidane is the only player in history to win the best player of the tournament in worldcup, Euro & UCL plus also winning the player of the season in Ligue1, Laliga & SerieA. He also won MOTM WC final & CL final with massive goals

So he litterally did it in 3 biggest tournaments & 3 top leagues…Zidane has the career and the big game. What does KDB have?

Ghosted in Worldcup, Ghosted in Euro, Ghosted in CL final, Ghosted in nations league. Euro 2024 is on the way, he will ghost too & blame it on old age like he did in the last worldcup cheesy :
Even if you lay all the facts, he will persist. He has this secondary school boy mentality where one must win an argument.
There is simply no basis for comparing De Bruyne with Zidane. No basis.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 9:10pm On May 18
Marjoribanks:
Judging a player by number of goals and appearance shows a statistician that lacks quality ... Even one goal from open play in 6 is a poor return.
A good statistician consider many factors such as chances created, missed, shot on target, off target etc not the peripheral of just goals and appearance.
Based on those factors Dessers does not deserve Super Eagles call.
I am not just a statistician/mathematician myself, I am an economists as well therefore other factors are important to me.
Lookman is not a striker but you can see the talent there. Moffi was great at AFCON.
Sadiq has been poor just like Dessers.

Ok, now I know that this is just pure hatred for the player. I tried to give you the benefit of doubt, but it's obvious that you just hate him for no reason. I knew where you were headed but just decided to play along.

You're trying to redefine the number one duty of a Striker/Centre Forward, which everyone knows is to score goals. Every other thing comes second place, be it assists, link up play, e.t.c. The number one metric for Strikers is goals and you're saying we should ignore Dessers just because you don't like the way he plays? That's hilarious.

A marketer is judged based on how many clients he gets for the company. He's judged based on how many products he sells. If you're in the position to select a marketer for the possibility of a promotion, are you telling me that you'll select a marketer who's sold only 5 products compared to a marketer who's sold 500, just because you don't like how the marketer with 500 sales handles his business? That's ridiculous.

Lookman was terrible for the Super Eagles before the AFCON. Should we have thrown him away because of that? I love Moffi but he wasn't great at the AFCON; that's a bloody lie.

Osimhen had a terrible AFCON in 2019. Should we have thrown him away because of that? His 2024 AFCON wasn't great either. You said one goal from open play in 6 appearances is a poor return. Going by your logic, Osimhen had a very poor AFCON because he scored just one goal in seven matches. Should we throw Osimhen away because of that?

Learn to judge players based on their roles/expectations and not inconsequential things. That way you won't sound like you engage in favouritism or even worse, sound like a racist.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:10pm On May 18
Mujtahida:

You have practical experience yet TheGoodJoe who only reads newspapers and watches YouTube videos will be arguing with you on matters he has little practical experience. Never ceases to amaze me.

Debate points. If you disagree with my point state yours. Attacking me is not a point.

My point is simple, Amunike ran a corrupt free camp, that is why a player like Osimhen who was selling pure water at that time, made the cut when there are avenues to cash out with such opportunity.

Saying Osimhen was recommended and other players were recommended does not oppose my point in anyway.

Finito.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16184) (16185) (16186) (16187) (16188) (16189) (16190) ... (16364) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Elohe001, maidaboi(m), humility33(m), daveP(m), Shynaboy1 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.