Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,071 members, 7,849,346 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2088) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11855546 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2085) (2086) (2087) (2088) (2089) (2090) (2091) ... (16248) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:21pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mujtahida:
I was also referencing your earlier statement which is bolded.
"There is no competition" doesn't mean "there should not be competition".
It simply means "he is clearly ahead".

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2017
tbaba1234:
Preferred line up against Argentina:

Uzoho
Aina
Ekong
Balogun
Idowu
Ndidi
Agbo
Mikel
Iheanacho
Iwobi
Onyekuru

I will play Ogu ahead of Agbo and bring the later in the second half. Secondly, I will start Idowu ahead of Aina and let Shehu to keep growing in form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2017
lexyman:

Agbo and Agu were in in my picks either ...you need to go and what that match very well ... my comment about Ogu wasn't based on that match alone ... cos it was inconsequential ... Ogu is a rough tackler ... 5 past matches for eagles 3 yellow cards 2 GOALS

We will surely be needing this kind of midfielder in our team. Considering our rankings we are going to be in Pot 4 meaning that we are underdogs. To beat all the big boiz and come out tops, we must be ruthless and lethal in scoring. Ogu's scoring ability will be needed here.

Whoever is against his play here is just being delusional.

Of what use is winning tackles and we don't score?

Against Iran in our first match in 2014 work cup, we played a barren draw because our strikers couldn't score. If Ogu was in that match he could have given us a goal as MF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:43pm On Nov 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

Idowu, Aina and Ebuehi can play RB. That competition is a contrbuting factor to Shehu's play, i believe.

Until Aina is given the opportunity to play the RB position it's impossible to say how good both of them are or who is best.

Ebuehi I consider not on the same level.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:48pm On Nov 12, 2017
realpoacher:

We will surely be needing this kind of midfielder in our team. Considering our rankings we are going to be in Pot 4 meaning that we are underdogs. To beat all the big boiz and come out tops, we must be ruthless and lethal in scoring. Ogu's scoring ability will be needed here.

Against Iran in our first match in 2014 work cup, we played a barren draw because our strikers couldn't score. If Ogu was in that match he could have given us a goal as MF.

It is not as if Ogu is prolific. He does not score often. There is no guarantee that he would score.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
realpoacher:

lol, the way guys here are shouting scoring ability for ogu. how many has he scored for his club side. I'm beginning to think the guy na striker sef. myopic fans who can't see past a game

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:00pm On Nov 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

It is not as if Ogu is prolific. He does not score often. There is no guarantee that he would score.
thank you my Oga, you go think dude is one confirm baller. let him have a bad game the same people will call for his head

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:01pm On Nov 12, 2017
komekn:

Until Aina is given the opportunity to play the RB position it's impossible to say how good both of them are or who is best.

Please you often talk about objectivity. Follow your own rules. You said some time ago that you have not watched Ebuehi play, so how come you say Ebuehi is not on Aina's level?

Whatever your response will be, remember that the man who has pegged down that RB plays in Cyprus and you know where the league in Cyprus ranks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
Karlovich:
England call up solanke for their upcoming game against Brazil, forgiveness I hope you can rest now
They just want these guys out of our reach.

Besides what has Solanke done to deserve a call up to England national team
cc: Komekn, forgiveness.....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
komekn:

Ebuehi is a good player, let see him play first..

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:27pm On Nov 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

even nwakali sometimes shot from 25 yard accurately likewise ndidi...
so there is no guarantee ogu will always score...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:34pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Please you often talk about objectivity. Follow your own rules. You said some time ago that you have not watched Ebuehi play, so how come you say Ebuehi is not on Aina's level?

Whatever your response will be, remember that the man who has pegged down that RB plays in Cyprus and you know where the league in Cyprus ranks
that's my problem wit him....
he has a myopic view regarding issues...
to him anything from England is supreme...
he does not understand...that things don't always go that way...one must keep an open mind...and not be parochial in views....

and keep making mention of objectivity...which you can't find in his comments.....

so pathetic

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 10:36pm On Nov 12, 2017
realpoacher:

delusional is a strong word
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:37pm On Nov 12, 2017
How can we still be looking for a CF when we have someone in the mold of Ogu, who only needs to fall back and fire a long range shot. grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
jihday:
lol, the way guys here are shouting scoring ability for ogu. how many has he scored for his club side. I'm beginning to think the guy na striker sef. myopic fans who can't see past a game

Mr man I am not a JJC when it comes to football. I knew Ogu since when Late Keshi started playing him prior to 2013 nations cup. From the first match that notice him I knew that he was my kind of MF.
He is the type of MF that is slightly above average in all areas, tackling, dribbling, passing and shooting long Rangers. Plus the height, a type you would like to have in your team any day. Trust me bro, one of his abilities will come in handy when necessary.

So this is not a "one match" judgment. I don't watch him often at Bear sheava so I was hoping to see that he had improved on his erratic tacklings during our match. Which he has

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:42pm On Nov 12, 2017
My lineup versus Argentina with 6 substitutions.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 10:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
jstbeinhonest:

Forget the name!
Asides Moses, I guess no other key player is missing for us. Argentina without Messi is worse than Bolivia. Talk more an Argentina without DiMaria, Mascherano, Romero n co.

See Argentina's lineup for training today (and most possibly for the game on Tuesday).

Marchesin
Mammana
Fazio
Insua
Pavon
Banega
Parades
Papu Gomes
Perotti
Dybala
Beneditto.

If we use our strongest available team (which i suspect would happen), we should defeat this team by AT LEAST a 2-goal margin.
and once we manage to win them in this match,we have gained a psychological edge against them(Argentina),they won't be able to defeat us again in the world cup matches. that's what usually happens in football,i have seen it happen many times. i wish the SE knows this.
so is important we take this match very serious,this is our opportunity to break that jinx.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:52pm On Nov 12, 2017
SerVik:

That is what pressing means. When thegoodjoe said Iheanacho presses more than Ighalo, that was what he meant. When I reaffirmed that assertion, that's what I meant. If your coach instructs you to press, that's what he means.

The issue here is just semantics. Your confusion boils from the scenario where one team has a higher possession and we say the team pressed the other.

Truth is, pressing is putting pressure on the opposition with the aim of winning the ball. When guardiola was in Barcelona, we had what was called the 6seconds rule. Everyplayer is expected to win the ball back 6seconds after loosing it. This is a highly tactical high octane play.

Another example is klopp with Dortmund and Liverpool. Those are farfetched examples sef, let's come home. Look at siasia's team at the olympics, take special interest in the first game and you'll see the high pressing approach siasia employed.

A highly possessive side must press. It is the only way to retain possession and prevent the opposition from gaining momentum. At the moment, Ighalo doesn't help in that regard.

Pressing has to be qualified by the impact of your pressing. It's about presence,intensity, pace and physicalilty. A CB being pressed by Lukaku and one being pressed by say Raheem can not be the same.

In that regard the physicality of Ighalo compared to KC will cause most defender to be weary, panic and make mistakes.

KC can not bully defenders the way Ighalo can he simply does not have the presence to do it. He can press yes but how effective is the question.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
edi287:

We are clearly lacking creativity. We need more creative players.

Sone Aluko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

Have you heard coaches saying that "strikers win matches but defense win you tournaments"?

Let me open your eyes to a vital point that you are missing.

Every time, and I repeat, every time a team wins a tournament or go very far in it, check very well, apart from their strikers, their midfielders and defenders were scoring. On top of their very good defense, in a very tough game where all their strikers suddenly became blunt, from nowhere a defender or a midfielder scores. A free kick, a corner, a drive in, a rebounds or a counter, and boom from out of the Blues a DF or a MF scores, and before you know it, it's game over.

Midfielders don't score everytime and surely Ogu won't too but be rest assured that with someone like that on the pitch, from his shot a rebound can happen from anywhere.

FYI the match in Algeria was heading for a barren draw until he curled in that sublime effort.

I insist that while we improve our strike force, our midfielders and defenders should start getting the goals too. As a coach, Rohr shouldn't overlook any MF or DF who has his scoring booths on.

We have a mountain to climb in Russia. I am not ready to see this team crash out at the round of 16. People we are 41st on the world rankings and in Pot 4(Greece just lost). We shouldn't be that low, implications is that whichever group we find ourselves it simply means that we would be the wiping boiz of the group except a miracle happens. And the last I checked miracles don't happen all the time.

We will need to have a winning mentality. We should learn to finish off matches after getting the first goal. Granted that poor officiating marred us in Algiers and a rash PK in Yaounde but the truth is if we had gotten the second goals in both matches, their goals wouldn't have mattered.

I don't want to imagine a Group of
Brazil
Spain
Croatia
Nigeria

Because we will surely be coming home. Especially when we don't have a winning mentality by scoring lots of goals.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
realpoacher:

Have you heard coaches saying that "strikers win matches but defense win you tournaments"?

Let me open your eyes to a vital point that you are missing.

Every time, and I repeat, every time a team wins a tournament or go very far in it, check very well, apart from their strikers, their midfielders and defenders were scoring. On top of their very good defense, in a very tough game where all their strikers suddenly became blunt, from nowhere a defender or a midfielder scores. A free kick, a corner, a drive in, a rebounds or a counter, and boom from out of the Blues a DF or a MF scores, and before you know it, it's game over.

Midfielders don't score everytime and surely Ogu won't too but be rest assured that with someone like that on the pitch, from his shot a rebound can happen from anywhere.

FYI the match in Algeria was heading for a barren draw until he curled in that sublime effort.

I insist that while we improve our strike force, our midfielders and defenders should start getting the goals too. As a coach, Rohr shouldn't overlook any MF or DF who has his scoring booths on.

Ndidi scores from distance, Nwakali scores from distance, Even Onazi has scored a few goals this season.

John Ogu is not a regular scorer. The fact that he scored a few days back does not mean, he will give you goals all the time.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:57pm On Nov 12, 2017
So how many of us have voted? All those claiming more patriotic than foreign-borns. Now it's time for you to take action. Vote!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I wanted Rohr to look into Oshaniwa and he did. That is all I ask. If he does not impress or fit into the coaches plan, I am okay with that. My respect for Rohr is that he looked in. It is his team and his choice to make decisions that is best for the team. As long as the coach is true to himself, he has my respect.

You seem to lay credence to past glories.

Oshaniwa flopped big time in Hearts of Midlothian prior to that his team in Isreal finished bottom and was relegated. Even then he struggled for games in Isreal before moving to Scotland.

He did not play one game in the 2016-2017 season I have no idea where he is now as hus contract was terminated . On what basis will he be invited a failed failing football career

Yet when the clamour for a top performing CB player in a weak league was made I am talking Efe Ambrose it was ridiculed by quite a a few here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:12pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

lol....

I wanted to reply him so badly when I saw that unforgivably ignorant and arrogant statement he made about Ebuehi, but I have decided to ignore certain comments from certain people on this thread because they have proved time and again that they can never see past their short noses

So, I just ignored grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:12pm On Nov 12, 2017
Kog45:
yea u are right on Peter likely to add something new to the team but i want to see Osimhen and Awoniyi in camp cos i don't think Nwakaeme is better than the duo.

Osimhen has been at Wolfsburg for two seasons and played how many games

He is essentially a youth player yet to make his way in the senior game.

Awoniyi has more justification but needs to have a season to show his ability and progress.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
lexyman:

i have not really watched this guys plays ...until i see AWONIYI ... the last time i watched hs game was during the olympic qualifiers and for Osimhen ,it was during the Olympic. i think we need tested players who are ready to stand their ground . we re going to the worldcup where the best compete. Osimhen and Awoniyi CAN WAIT TILL 2022,

If they prove worthy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ndidi scores from distance, Nwakali scores from distance, Even Onazi has scored a few goals this season.

John Ogu is not a regular scorer. The fact that he scored a few days back does not mean, he will give you goals all the time.

I didn't say that he scores regularly. But compared to all those you listed and in Super Eagles Jersey, Ogu has scored more than all of them combined for us, yet amazingly, he has spent the least time on the pitch.

I put it to you that should he play as much as Onazi, he will score more.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:15pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mickael2:

I know Kalu is a winger, Samuel Kalu right? So he is out.

Meanwhile who is Yinka Dennis again? Why should we waste time testing more players when we already have people who are ready, willing and capable of doing the job for us

Willing yes but capable of competing with the best in the World cup that's a very big ASK.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

No player should stand apart oo cos that's what leads to complacency and eventually degeneration. That's how Echiejile stayed for long without competition and stagnated. Has Shehu been outstanding? Yes. Does he need competition? Yes, fierce and stiff one especially since we have options to compete with him in that department. Ditto for all other positions. I like it that Onyekuru is in the team and based on comments here, he played well few minutes he was in. There must be competition so that everyone keeps their feet on the pedal.

That's why I want to see Aina play in the RB position so s direct comparison can be made. Who is better who us more effective. But to allow Shehu stay without clear competition wil created complacency.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:19pm On Nov 12, 2017
komekn:

You seem to lay credence to past glories.

Oshaniwa flopped big time in Hearts of Midlothian prior to that his team in Isreal finished bottom and was relegated. Even then he struggled for games in Isreal before moving to Scotland.

He did not play one game in the 2016-2017 season I have no idea where he is now as hus contract was terminated . On what basis will he be invited a failed failing football career

Yet when the clamour for a top performing CB player in a weak league was made I am talking Efe Ambrose it was ridiculed by quite a a few here.

March 30, 2017. That was an old post dug up. There is no clamor for Oshaniwa then. The point of Oshaniwa's call has to do with him playing well for us in most of his games and unfairly dropped. I suggested a look in to see if there was a possibility of him making it. Rohr tried him in camp. Played him in a scrimmage game. That was okay for me.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:20pm On Nov 12, 2017
Loogan:

Except mikel who is the most creative center midfielder we have presently in the team?

Sone Aluko is a creative midfielder proven and tested and he is quite pacey.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:20pm On Nov 12, 2017
Joebie:
So how many of us have voted? All those claiming more patriotic than foreign-borns. Now it's time for you to take action. Vote!
for some reason, I can't vote

Tried with opera mini and it didn't even pop up....something about JavaScript

Tried with the main browser and it says I have to enable cookies.... It's enabled in the settings, me I dunno again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2085) (2086) (2087) (2088) (2089) (2090) (2091) ... (16248) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Napoleon55(m), TheSuperNerd(m), ddone and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.