Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,194 members, 7,849,702 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2090) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11860613 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2087) (2088) (2089) (2090) (2091) (2092) (2093) ... (16248) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:47am On Nov 13, 2017
But we beat them at Abuja before and they came back beating us in the next friendly match, beat us again in the worldcup so why didn't "psychology" work then?
Napoleon55:
and once we manage to win them in this match,we have gained a psychological edge against them(Argentina),they won't be able to defeat us again in the world cup matches. that's what usually happens in football,i have seen it happen many times. i wish the SE knows this.
so is important we take this match very serious,this is our opportunity to break that jinx.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:50am On Nov 13, 2017
The bames you mentioned, how many of them have scored 2 goals in 3-4 matches for the SE?
tbaba1234:

Ndidi scores from distance, Nwakali scores from distance, Even Onazi has scored a few goals this season.

John Ogu is not a regular scorer. The fact that he scored a few days back does not mean, he will give you goals all the time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:54am On Nov 13, 2017
Lol, iheanacho that fell more than 3 times in 90 mins is the one to press ball holding defenders like he's known for that? Keep up the hype boss lol.

TheGoodJoe:
Simple. Argentina will build from the back. Ball-playing defenders is part of their game. A player like Ighalo can not bully defenders who can hold and pass the ball. Bullying comes from when strikers and players are fighting for balls. Not when the opposition is building play.

In that respect, the striker best as pressing, is the best solution. Watch how useless Lukaku was against Liverpool.

Our best bet is to start Iheanacho who is best at pressing.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:00am On Nov 13, 2017
It beats me that people don't see this.

Infact let them watch the matches ighalo played and that of iheanacho again. But then some people's mind already made up on what hey want to see even before the TV switches on.
komekn:

It was the pressing of Ighalo in the game against Cameroon that set the tone for that win in my opinion.

Those Cameroon defenders were bullied into making mistakes and made to be disorientated by Ighalo. KC can not do that. He can even win the aerial battles he simply not that the of player.

Closing down the spaces limiting the passing options for defenders playing from the back yes. But pressing with impact no for me.

My first choice STRIKER is for now IGHALO

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:15am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

That for a manager is not being tactically astute. God forbid what if Shehu gets injured or suspended etc

But the real test is to know how good a player is to test him against another player in the same circumstances.

Manager show preference it's not necessarily conclusive our outright objectivity it's preference.

In Everton Phil Nevill was arguably the least player in the team with regard to ability. But the first on the team sheet much to the indignation of Yobo Plenarr, Anichebe, etc.

Training games are not totally conclusive you need a full match possibly a couple of games to to be conclusive about a player.

I know players who are not great in training but complete terrors on the pitch in a match. So I dont agree with that approach.

Given the same opportunity how do you know Aina will not improve more. You simply do not because the opportunity is denied.

Rohr seems to have settled for Shehu at RB.
Where he is looking for space for Aina is at LB. Simple.

And if Shehu gets injured we have players who can also play RB in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:19am On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
The bames you mentioned, how many of them have scored 2 goals in 3-4 matches for the SE?

3-4 games is not a long enough time to assess. In that period, he has also been prone to rash tackles as evidenced by the frequency of cards.

I base my assessions on his professional record. He is not a Lampard that scores goals regularly. It is important that this expectation is tempered.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:21am On Nov 13, 2017
Rash tackles? How many times has he been carded in the last 3-4 matches he played to us compared to Agu, Onazi and ndidi? Can you check?
tbaba1234:

3-4 games is not a long enough time to assess. In that period, he has also been prone to rash tackles as evidenced by the frequency of cards.

I base my assessions on his professional record. He is not a Lampard that scores goals regularly. It is important that this expectation is tempered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:33am On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
Rash tackles? How many times has he been carded in the last 3-4 matches he played to us compared to Agu, Onazi and ndidi? Can you check?

In 4 starts, he has 3 cards.

He has about 12 caps, most of which were as a sub.

His tackling is not the best, He is better than Agbo in terms of cards but not Onazi and Ndidi.

Ndidi has zero cards in 7 starts.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:37am On Nov 13, 2017
Onazi has played 44 times for us, 6 yellow cards and 1 red card
Agu played 4 times (all sub) with 1 yellow
Ndidi 13 times with no card
Ogu 12 times with 3 yellows (more than half as sub).

So how is Ogu the worse here? Agu remains the worse per time spent on the pitch, the red card given to Onazi is worth 2-3 yellow cards cos it was a straight red against guinea abi na Congo self.

tbaba1234:

In 4 starts, he has 3 cards.

He has about 12 caps, most of which were as a sub.

2 of the 3 cards to Ogu were in a friendly match.
1 of the 6 cards to Onazi was from a friendly.

So competitively, Ogu got one card, 5 for Onazi and 1 for Agu

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:38am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

You consider Chinese league not competitive, 5 players from the Chinese league are in the Brazilian squad. Striker Tardelli, Paulinho, Hulk, to name a few could be more.

The league is good enough for the team selection of Brazil arguably the best team in the world this decade but not good enough for Nigeria.

Yet some have written off Obagoal for players who have not achieved and may never achieve one tenth of what he has achieved in football.

you'll have to tell us how many of them are starters for Brasil

Hulk had one appearance as a starter and 2 substitute appearances and that was as far back as 2015

Paulinho only started having a call from Oct 2016 which is safe to say he started getting a look in and have started since then when he left the Chinese league to Barcelona

Your Tardelli just got one call up which he lasted the entire duration on the bench

Oscar started the qualifiers with them as far back as 2015 when he was at Chelsea but haven't gotten any call up since he left to the Chinese league

The comment above is based solely on the world cup qualifiers alone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:43am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

Shehu is good but essentially he has nobody competing with him. Or I could say nobody has been allowed to compete with him. Is he better than Aina we do not know. It's q false sense of quality. What if Aina is better

We need competition increase our quality not reduce it.
who should play the left back role? Should we continue with Echiejile and let Shehu and Aina be competing for right back??

Since we have Shehu who does well at right why not leave Aina at left back since he can offer more than who we have there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:50am On Nov 13, 2017
Going forward

44 matches, 1 goal, 2 assists for Onazi
13 matches, no goal or assist for Ndidi
12 matches, 2 goals no assist for Ogu
4 matches, no goal or assist for Agu

Both Ogu and Agu played mostly as Subs.

Now imagine it was Ogu that was playing in and out like Ndidi or Onazi, don't you think he's likely to score more goals and assist too?

Talking about adding to the attack here.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:53am On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
Onazi has played 44 times for us, 6 yellow cards and 1 red card
Agu played 4 times (all sub) with 1 yellow
Ndidi 13 times with no card
Of 12 times with 3 yellows (more than half as sub).

So how is Ogu the worse here? Agu remains the worse per time spent on the pitch, the red card given to Onazi is worth 2-3 yellow cards cos it was a straight red against guinea abi na Congo self.

2 of the 3 cards to Ogu was in a friendly match.
1 of the 6 cards to Onazi was from a friendly.

So competitively, Ogu got one card in a competitive match, 5 for Onazi and 1 for Agu

Onazi has started far more games. You can not compare absolute figures, that is disingenuous. You must look at ratios.

Ogu is accumulating cards at a faster rate. 3 yellows in 4 starts in not good discipline.

In terms of minutes, Ogu has 1 yellow card every 196 minutes played
Onazi has 1 yellow card every 594 minutes played

This is not necessarily a fair comparison because he has not played much. Just like making a goal machine is not an accurate assessment.

He keeps the ball well but he is not a great scorer.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 5:55am On Nov 13, 2017
We should defeat a team that has a Roman - Fazio and Prrotti, a Juventus Dyabala, Sevillas Banega. Please who again is in our squad with such profiles. Someone would think or players play for Real Madrid. This is the type of yans that be making mad.

jstbeinhonest:

Forget the name!
Asides Moses, I guess no other key player is missing for us. Argentina without Messi is worse than Bolivia. Talk more an Argentina without DiMaria, Mascherano, Romero n co.

See Argentina's lineup for training today (and most possibly for the game on Tuesday).

Marchesin
Mammana
Fazio
Insua
Pavon
Banega
Parades
Papu Gomes
Perotti
Dybala
Beneditto.

If we use our strongest available team (which i suspect would happen), we should defeat this team by AT LEAST a 2-goal margin.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:57am On Nov 13, 2017
This is wrong, 3 yellow cards in 4 starts? Haba. 2 was from friendly matches which is inconsequential. Onazi got one from friendly and 5 from competitive matches, Ogu only got one in all competitive matches he has played.

To label Ogu a rash tackler is wrong, he's not worse than Onazi.
tbaba1234:

Onazi has started far more games. You can not compare absolute figures, that is disingenuous. You must look at ratios.

Ogu is accumulating cards at a faster rate. 3 yellows in 4 starts in not good discipline.

In terms of minutes, Ogu has 1 yellow card every 196 minutes played
Onazi has 1 yellow card every 594 minutes played

This is not necessarily a fair comparison because he has not played much. Just like making a goal machine is not an accurate assessment.

He keeps the ball well but he is not a great scorer.

I never said Ogu was a "great" scorer but better than his counterparts in that position when it comes to conversion.

Mikel Obi has played 72 times for us, 6 goals, 12 assists and 10 yellow cards.

Ogu remains the highest goal scorer per time spent among the listed names.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:14am On Nov 13, 2017
somehow:
This is wrong, 3 yellow cards in 4 starts? Haba. 2 was from friendly matches which is inconsequential. Onazi got one from friendly and 5 from competitive matches, Ogu only got one in all competitive matches he has played.

To label Ogu a rash tackler is wrong, he's not worse than Onazi.

I never said Ogu was a "great" scorer but better than his counterparts in that position when it comes to conversion.

Mikel Obi has played 72 times for us, 6 goals, 12 assists and 10 yellow cards.

Ogu remains the highest goal scorer per time spent among the listed names.

Go back to my first post.. All of these stats on Ogu are meaningless because he has not played enoughThe tackling, the goal scoring etc for the super eagles.. All meaningless. The rash tackle comment was made in that context.

However, we can look at his career stats which indicate that he does not score many goals and he will not give you, the work output of Onazi or Ndidi.

Now, he has a lot to offer but let us not make him to be, what he isn't.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 6:25am On Nov 13, 2017
safarigirl:
for some reason, I can't vote

Tried with opera mini and it didn't even pop up....something about JavaScript

Tried with the main browser and it says I have to enable cookies.... It's enabled in the settings, me I dunno again.
I Also Had Same Prob Until I Used Mozilla On A Pc
Even Google Chrome Is Saying The Same "Cookie Shit"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 6:34am On Nov 13, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ndidi scores from distance, Nwakali scores from distance, Even Onazi has scored a few goals this season.

John Ogu is not a regular scorer. The fact that he scored a few days back does not mean, he will give you goals all the time.

among all the players you mentioned he's the only one that has done it for club and country. abeg you guys should free the guy this is his moment

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:47am On Nov 13, 2017
jstbeinhonest:

Forget the name!
Asides Moses, I guess no other key player is missing for us. Argentina without Messi is worse than Bolivia. Talk more an Argentina without DiMaria, Mascherano, Romero n co.

See Argentina's lineup for training today (and most possibly for the game on Tuesday).

Marchesin
Mammana
Fazio
Insua
Pavon
Banega
Parades
Papu Gomes
Perotti
Dybala
Beneditto.

If we use our strongest available team (which i suspect would happen), we should defeat this team by AT LEAST a 2-goal margin.
How we could do with a Paredes in our team. Papu Gomez would make our first 11 easy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:55am On Nov 13, 2017
Joebie:
So how many of us have voted? All those claiming more patriotic than foreign-borns. Now it's time for you to take action. Vote!

Please give me the link.. For voting... Struggling with it here...

Modified : I have voted! Thanks

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:02am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

You consider Chinese league not competitive, 5 players from the Chinese league are in the Brazilian squad. Striker Tardelli, Paulinho, Hulk, to name a few could be more.

The league is good enough for the team selection of Brazil arguably the best team in the world this decade but not good enough for Nigeria.

Yet some have written off Obagoal for players who have not achieved and may never achieve one tenth of what he has achieved in football.

What's the position of Chinese league in world football ranking?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:06am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

Shehu is a top performer in his league and arguably the top performing outstanding player in his club. Irrespective of how low his league is. If I'm right he was given the captains arm band in a a Cypriot team us no mean feat for an African.

Aina is the the number one RB in the championship a Chelsea player on loan. Winning MOTM awards and the stand out player even in Hull.

What is Ebuehi In the Eredivisie is the stand out RB or the stand out anything what awards what recognitions, etc

How many MOTM Awards obagoal won? Is obagoal the best player in his team?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:07am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

Shehu is a top performer in his league and arguably the top performing outstanding player in his club. Irrespective of how low his league is. If I'm right he was given the captains arm band in a a Cypriot team us no mean feat for an African.

Aina is the the number one RB in the championship a Chelsea player on loan. Winning MOTM awards and the stand out player even in Hull.

What is Ebuehi In the Eredivisie is the stand out RB or the stand out anything what awards what recognitions, etc
Who told you that Shehu is a top performer in his league? How many MOTM has he received? You are just making assumptions reading his performance in the Gwg back into his club. Do you know Shehu doesn't play as RB at his club?
The point is the Cypriot league is not in the reckoning. Even the Eredivisie ranks higher than it. Yet out of that Nazareth has come something good. So don't say 'what is Ebuehi'. I am not making a case for any player. Once a player has been invited, we cannot run down that player until we have seen him play. That's my point.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:11am On Nov 13, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Please give me the link.. For voting... Struggling with it here...
Me too struggling with it on my phone. Says something about cookies.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:14am On Nov 13, 2017
Mujtahida:

Me too struggling with it on my phone. Says something about cookies.

Have voted! No cookies here... I dunno even how I got the level I just saw the voting and I voted.. I will check again

Modified :

Try this again http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41890720

Wait for it to finish loading ...then you will see it..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:20am On Nov 13, 2017
safarigirl:
lol....

I wanted to reply him so badly when I saw that unforgivably ignorant and arrogant statement he made about Ebuehi, but I have decided to ignore certain comments from certain people on this thread because they have proved time and again that they can never see past their short noses

So, I just ignored grin
Sometimes it's necessary to do so Nne
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:23am On Nov 13, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Have voted! No cookies here... I dunno even how I got the level I just saw the voting and I voted.. I will check again

Modified :

Try this again http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41890720

Wait for it to finish loading ...then you will see it..
I just did. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:26am On Nov 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You have not watched Nwakaeme to judge. Watch him on a better pitch before judging. That pitch was so bad to string simple passes. So very poor condition to judge his quality.
Nwakaeme should be given one more chance
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:27am On Nov 13, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

I feel someone should create a thread about this and take it to the front page for more publicity
Has this been done? Good idea. Robosky02 do the needful.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:32am On Nov 13, 2017
safarigirl:
even if Nwakaeme does not come good, I can name four other players that should be tested before uncle Obafemi.

But some people just want to drag us back

before today I am sure you could have named five players that should be tested before Martins with Nwakaeme joining your list, but we have seen that he isn't good enough. This now begs the question, why keep on trying to jump over the fence when the gate is wide open and nobody shot you the last time you used it? These guys(Martins and Uche) have done it for us before, I am pretty sure we don't need to 'test' them, but y'all want us to keep 'testing' greenhorns that may not come good until the world cup proper when we only have two(?) international windows before the World Cup

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:33am On Nov 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You are making it look as if Aina and Ebuehi are not in camp. They have competed in camp and Rohr prefers Shehu Abdullahi.

Finito.
Let them play let us see. In camp they play against their team mates. It can never be the same as playing against the opposition. We have nothing to lose. Once you play one or two matches we can gauge your quality. If you are good, you stay, if not you go. Remember it's depth we are looking for-options as good as the first eleven. Remember anything can happen like we just had six injuries in one week.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:46am On Nov 13, 2017
komekn:

That for a manager is not being tactically astute. God forbid what if Shehu gets injured or suspended etc

But the real test is to know how good a player is to test him against another player in the same circumstances.

Manager show preference it's not necessarily conclusive our outright objectivity it's preference.

In Everton Phil Nevill was arguably the least player in the team with regard to ability. But the first on the team sheet much to the indignation of Yobo Plenarr, Anichebe, etc.

Training games are not totally conclusive you need a full match possibly a couple of games to to be conclusive about a player.

I know players who are not great in training but complete terrors on the pitch in a match. So I dont agree with that approach.

Given the same opportunity how do you know Aina will not improve more. You simply do not because the opportunity is denied.

The essence of friendly matches is to increase chemistry and mutual understanding of the team as well as looking for viable options. Now as per his performances, Shehu has shown that he is a formidable RB. But we need to see what his competitors can do. Are they good enough even for the bench? What specific quality do they have?
I don't understand the reluctance to test for options. What happens in case of injury, loss of form etc? Is it that time we would now throw a player into the thick of things? What if he turns out to be baroof? So that's when we would discover that we've had a low quality player on our bench.
I just pray Rohr throws caution to the wind against Argentina. Try Uzoho, try others. Let Argentina beat us sef. We will learn a thing or two.
Two things are in contention now: results and performance. For friendly matches I chose performance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2087) (2088) (2089) (2090) (2091) (2092) (2093) ... (16248) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: soetanoreoluwa(m), iamdynamite(m), Joebie and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.