Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,004 members, 7,863,625 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:43 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11947949 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2100) (2101) (2102) (2103) (2104) (2105) (2106) ... (16362) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2017
Ebuehi would make a good wing back. I hope Rohr gives him a run out today. Our attacking options look underwhelming tbh. Mikel should've been tried as part of the midfield 2 while someone like Onyekuru takes his place upfront (assuming it's a 3-4-3).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2017
What time is the match as in Nigerian time?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:29pm On Nov 14, 2017
My formation for 2nd half and subs (of course, depending on match-time happenings)

Sunnypa11:
Line up

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:32pm On Nov 14, 2017
Joebie:
Lol, the MLS has always been solid relatively speaking. Klinsmann went for the best. His best wasn't good enough. They resorted to more home-based players but still failed to qualify. Chasing shadows. Even South Africa with a solid league and dependence on home based players failed to qualify. Either way they could have still failed. Stop blaming "the pursuit".

Modified
So the US stopped developing their own abi? hahahah

Isn't it better you kept mute on a topic you obviously know very little about?
Exerpts from Tim Howard ;

Howard critical of Klinsmann's use of foreign born players

Tim Howard says he understands Jurgen Klinsmann’s job was to unearth new talent, but the U.S. Men’s National Team goalkeepeer says the team became too reliant foreign-born players that didn’t bring the passion required to represent the national team.
Speaking to USA Today , Howard was critical of Klinsmann, who was fired in November after losing the first two games of the Hexagonal round. According to Howard, the USMNT lost its identity under Klinsmann, and the goalkeeper believes it will be rediscovered under new boss Bruce Arena.
“Jurgen Klinsmann had a project to unearth talent around the world that had American roots,” Howard said. “But having American roots doesn’t mean you are passionate about playing for that country.
“I know there were players that came in that it didn’t matter as much to,” Howard said. “If you get enough of those players, one or two can get found out, but if you get enough of those players you lose sight of what you are all about. While it was a good idea in theory, it had its flaws. Bruce will 100% get that back.”
Howard went on to state his belief that “80 percent” of the next World Cup roster will come from MLS. The goalkeeper says there has been ” this rhetoric that has been spewed out over the last couple of years” about players heading to Europe, something which he sees changing over the coming years.
The change in attitude is widely expected under Arena, who is almost certainly going to look at MLS harder than Klinsmann. The latter consistently encouraged players to head to Europe in order to test themselves at the highest levels the game had to offer.
Now, following the change, Howard is glad the USMNT has a fresh voice to help guide them through World Cup qualifying and, in hindsight, he believes that voice should have come years ago.

Please indulge due diligence if you want to engage me. Dont make the mistake to think I make wild and unverifiable comments just for the sake of arguments.
cc Mujtahida
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2017
somehow:
Talking about home grown talents, how many of us know that we now have a national youth league for football?

All 20 NPFL clubs have an U15 youth wing.

All the players must still be in primary/secondary school and their primary School report cards are being used to determine their ages.

All are still active in school and the league only occur during the long term break.

Started late last year/early this year and we have experts from LALIGA helping with the management etc.

This to me is one of the best ways to build solid foundation for all our male football teams.

With time , it will shift to the female teams too then to other sports.

Slow start but a good start.
Is this not what we are saying? So how does having FB in our team affect carrying out measures like this if we are serious and honest. How can such a vast field begging for development be ignored for the national team that plays at most four times in non tournament years and 10 times in tournament years?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:40pm On Nov 14, 2017
haha.. I had written an article on this, showing I had done this research long before now.. Read what you posted very carefully, maybe you will see how this does not support what you have been saying.

The national team losing it's identity is based on earlier tradition. Secondly, it's got nothing to do with stalling the development of the MLS (that was never implied from this write-up)

gerrit?

Modified
I now see that you have challenges in research and comprehension. You are concluding that during Klinsmann's reign, the MLS suffered. Can u give me a list of American players that went abroad if we must consider player export a benchmark in measuring how good a league is? How about the influx of foreign players to the MLS? Did Klinsmann discourage it? grin

goldfish80:

Please indulge due diligence if you want to engage me. Dont make the mistake to think I make wild and unverifiable comments just for the sake of arguments.
cc Mujtahida
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:45pm On Nov 14, 2017
goldfish80:

cc Mujtahida
Let me ask this question: are you against the use of FOREIGN BASED(not foreign born ooo) players as the basis of our national team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:45pm On Nov 14, 2017
goldfish80:
I see alot of comments giving Morocco the thumbs up for qualifying with with the Dutch, Belgian and French D team. Why use Morocco as example?
Why not use Egypt who played up to the AFCON finals and qualified for the World Cup in grand style with a team of home grown players.

Algeria went all foreign and qualified for the World Cup in 2014 and even.made the last 16, what have become of the Algerian team of foreigners 4 years on?
They can't even beat (no disrespect) Zimbabwe, nearly lost 6 world cup qualifying games in a stretch. They will be forced to do what they failed to do 4years ago.
This one don pass replacing coaches at will. They need a full system reset!

Inviting foreign born is not wrong, but basing the foundation of your national team on players like these is all shades of wrong and not a sustainable development in the long run.
If you like argue blindly, but I've made my position so clear on this matter that even a 10year old will understand.

The best should play.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:49pm On Nov 14, 2017
Joebie:
haha.. I had written an article on this, showing I had done this research long before now.. Read what you posted very carefully, maybe you will see how this does not support what you have been saying.

The national team losing it's identity is based on earlier tradition. Secondly, it's got nothing to do with stalling the development of the MLS (that was never implied from this write-up)

gerrit?

Come again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:53pm On Nov 14, 2017
forgiveness:

The best should play.
Joebie forgiveness has ended the matter.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:55pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mickael2:

I am quite sure that Martins and Uche are among our top5 scorers and their scoring ratios are way better than Ighalo's. These are proven guys, say what you want but it won't change the fact that Uche was the highest goalscorer during our qualifying campaign in 2010 neither will it change the fact that Martins is our 3rd highest scorer with a better ratio than Yakubu who is the second I believe.

Obinna and Ike were both joint goal scorers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 3:57pm On Nov 14, 2017
Joebie:
My formation for 2nd half and subs (of course, depending on match-time happenings)

Nice.We need to see what Uzoho and Ebuehi can offer.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:02pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

Joebie forgiveness has ended the matter.

Hahaha! I single handedly spareheaded this campaign some years ago na. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:04pm On Nov 14, 2017
Sorry sir, didn't get you..
Mujtahida:

Is this not what we are saying? So how does having FB in our team affect carrying out measures like this if we are serious and honest. How can such a vast field begging for development be ignored for the national team that plays at most four times in non tournament years and 10 times in tournament years?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2017
lol Kayode has to work hard in camp.
And when he gets his chance, even if na cameo, make he seize am. How did u like Onyekuru's game against Algeria?

forgiveness:

Hahaha! I single handedly spareheaded this campaign some years ago na. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:07pm On Nov 14, 2017
somehow:
Sorry sir, didn't get you..
My point wasn't directed at you. I used your post to reference our ongoing argument
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:08pm On Nov 14, 2017
Apart from football, I think there is something he does in the camp that makes them always call him. Trying to understand why a person like him who's has been relegated to the U21 team still makes the NT. He must be very valuable off field to the SE
MetalJigsaw:
hmm I don't think Rohr will drop Musa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:09pm On Nov 14, 2017
Wondering too, in a lone man forward line, I expected someone faster or at least more physical to be mount that position. Anyways it's just a friendly and Rohr might change it to a 2-3 man forward along the line.
forgiveness:

Interesting. But the question is why must he start Kelechi if he already knows his ability? If Kayode is played for only 20 minutes then I know there's an hidden agenda against him because I do not why he invited him in the first and not play him.

Edit:. Seems it's going to be a 2 man forward (iwobi iheanacho)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:11pm On Nov 14, 2017
I would have preferred Balogun in the position of Awaziem but the coach knows best......
nelszx:
Official line up

3-5-2 something grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2017
Yes, very thin attacking line. The pressure on the backline go dey massive o for us.
edi287:
Ebuehi would make a good wing back. I hope Rohr gives him a run out today. Our attacking options look underwhelming tbh. Mikel should've been tried as part of the midfield 2 while someone like Onyekuru takes his place upfront (assuming it's a 3-4-3).

Edit: from the other lineup posted, it's going to be a 2 man forward line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2017
Thank you for the clarification.
Mujtahida:

My point wasn't directed at you. I used your post to reference our ongoing argument
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:15pm On Nov 14, 2017
Joebie:
lol Kayode has to work hard in camp.
And when he gets his chance, even if na cameo, make he seize am. How did u like Onyekuru's game against Algeria?

That's true.

Although, he did not do much but I was impressed with the way em robo the ball that was blocked.

I will like to see more of his game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2017
nelszx:

Someone said NTA will show the match, with KFS (Kwese Free Sports)

Is NT or AIT on Dstv??

thus viewing centre in my area posted that they would show the match and its just dstv they use...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 4:24pm On Nov 14, 2017
nelszx:
Official line up

3-5-2 something grin

I hope we don't regret using Daniel Akpeyi. Starting Uzoho would have been a better option in my opinion. His performance today would determine his chances.

The Land is Green. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:26pm On Nov 14, 2017
somehow:
Wondering too, in a lone man forward line, I expected someone faster or at least more physical to be mount that position. Anyways it's just a friendly and Rohr might change it to a 2-3 man forward along the line.

Edit:. Seems it's going to be a 2 man forward (iwobi iheanacho)

Well, let see what Rohr has in mind today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2017
So we will not get to watch this game live?.. This is really bad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2017
Don't underestimate teams like Croatia -- very unpredictable
Icon79:
I think you guys are still misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was just responding to the claim that we have always started slowly in all our games. That claim is not accurate because we have started very well in certain games even if we didn't score early.

Secondly, you guys are making an assumption that Zambia, Cameroun, and Algeria are not tactically good teams? Are you aware that we're the only team that Zambia lost to in the whole qualifiers? Same with Cameroun! And by the way, this same Cameroun team went to the Confed Cup and they were not disgraced. Please let's not write them off because they lost to us, they are a pretty decent team.

Listen, there are only 3 countries that I am worried about in Russia: Brazil, Germany, and Argentina (if they can get it together). As per France, Belgium, and the other countries .... let them bring it on!

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 4:42pm On Nov 14, 2017
Argentine starting XI:

MARCHESIN; MASCHERANO, PEZZELLA, OTAMENDI; Enzo PEREZ, BANEGA; PAVON, LO CELSO, DI MARIA; DYBALA, AGUERO.

http://www.mundoalbiceleste.com/2017/11/14/argentina-nigeria-di-maria/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamdynamite(m): 4:43pm On Nov 14, 2017
Please guys any link to watch the game live

cc kog45 safarigirl
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2017
iamdynamite:
Please guys any link to watch the game live

cc kog45 safarigirl

BeIN Sports HD 5 on Mobdro. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:49pm On Nov 14, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
His time will come soon. He should just be patient.

I hope it will not be until he grows grey hair. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:53pm On Nov 14, 2017
Yea, I remember them. The first time they qualified for the World Cup, they went all the way to the quarter finals. But in general, we tend to have problems playing the Latin American teams as compared to the Euro teams, due to the similarity of our style of play with the South American teams. I was telling someone that we are the poor man's Brazil, hence we tend to find it difficult dealing with the real Brazil grin

We also tend to have problems dealing with a well organized compact team (eg Denmark 1998); however, I think we can deal with such teams now that Rohr is going to get us well organize.

O pari

Joebie:
Don't underestimate teams like Croatia -- very unpredictable

(1) (2) (3) ... (2100) (2101) (2102) (2103) (2104) (2105) (2106) ... (16362) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: joelsteron, caprikon, gatecrash123 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.