Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,675 members, 7,862,109 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 08:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11938237 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (16349) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:41pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

What about Conte's record in the Champions League with Juventus?
Why Champion's league? Did he lead Juventus to numerous trophies or not? Did his system work or not?

How well did Conte's system work with Italy?

Is your favourite system 4-4-2? If yes, let me show you it is not a fail-proof system.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:49pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not know why you try to base your point on me throwing shades at Conte. I think it is time some people get that I do not let sentiments cloud my judgment. If you had a clear mind on this issue, you will see where I wrote that Conte is a master of the 3-4-3 and he can deal with the challenges. I am not throwing shades on Conte but I am talking of the challenges coaching with three at the back.

You chose to use throwing shades at Conte to make it look that way but I have quoted you highlighting Mancini and Van Gaal who had challenges coaching three at the back.

I talked about teams in the last World Cup and the challenges they faced. Yet you chose throwing shades at Conte.

If a different set of wing backs had challenges, do you think the Super Eagles defenders that do not play regularly together will not have problems? Is that throwing shades at Conte?

No u throwing shade was a side dish, the main meal is that west ham had a tough side on the field and chelsea started without, Hazard, Costa, Matic, Moses, Alonso and Courtois so u cannot proclaim the failure of the 3-4-3 just yet. I don't see any other reason why u won't see that but shade.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:52pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

What about Conte's record in the Champions League with Juventus?

U expected 11 players to win their league and also champions league? It is well known that Conte had a shoe string budget at Juventus.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:15pm On Oct 28, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

No u throwing shade was a side dish, the main meal is that west ham had a tough side on the field and chelsea started without, Hazard, Costa, Matic, Moses, Alonso and Courtois so u cannot proclaim the failure of the 3-4-3 just yet. I don't see any other reason why u won't see that but shade.

Where did I proclaim failure on the 3-4-3? I said after how West Ham walked through Chelsea, someone is proposing Nigeria should play a back three? Is that a proclamation of failure?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2016
joseph1013:
Why Champion's league? Did he lead Juventus to numerous trophies or not? Did his system work or not?

How well did Conte's system work with Italy?

Is your favourite system 4-4-2? If yes, let me show you it is not a fail-proof system.

I did not say Conte's system did not work in Italy or he did not win trophies. Keep that aside.

Before Conte started, I wanted to see him come to the EPL and play his three at the back set-up, week in week out. Fortunately, he did not. So those people that want to see us playing three at the back soon, should know a coach who played the system for years and works regularly with the team knew it was a risky approach.

In the game against West Ham, West Ham swarmed Chelsea to the point they were laughing.

So I do it think that is the kind of system the Super Eagles should play with.

Our coach is not one who plays the system and people want him to switch from his ideal method to play three at the back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:27pm On Oct 28, 2016
Abeg.... In the midst of the 3-4-3 arguments, Ehmmm... Oga Tglobal... smiley

Abeg no vex... Been in and out of NL today coz I've been really busy today. Just hopped in the afternoon or so to drop news after the early morning drop.

So abeg... Sir Tglobal... I didn't know it was your Birthday until Sir Terzurum5 dropped something about that few pages back... Plsss... Emabinu... sad

My own dey come late... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND MAY ALL YOU WISH FOR BE GRANTED THEE. smiley

GODBLESS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:29pm On Oct 28, 2016
I don't think it should be our main/central formation strategy.

But we could employ it as one of our formation strategy options in the long run.

That's my own stand. smiley

TheGoodJoe:

I did not say Conte's system did not work in Italy or he did not win trophies. Keep that aside.

Before Conte started, I wanted to see him come to the EPL and play his three at the back set-up, week in week out. Fortunately, he did not. So those people that want to see us playing three at the back soon, should know a coach who played the system for years and works regularly with the team knew it was a risky approach.

In the game against West Ham, West Ham swarmed Chelsea to the point they were laughing.

Our coach is not one who plays the system and people want him to switch from his ideal method to play three at the back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:30pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You did not say the system did not work, yet you're asking me about Juventus in champions league. What was that about?

Conte has been using 3-5-2 for years. Juventus, Italy, Chelsea.

The problem I have with you singling out the game with West Ham is that I can also single out Chelsea-United game and say it proves the system is the best in the world. Chelsea won 4-0 and could have easily won 7-0. West Ham played a weak Chelsea for the EFL game. You can't use that game to judge Conte. How is that difficult to understand? Or are you angry with Conte because of Mikel?

People want to see us test 3-5-2 in friendlies. Why is that a problem?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32pm On Oct 28, 2016
joseph1013:

The problem I have with you singling out the game with West Ham is that I can also single out Chelsea-United game and say it proves the system is the best in the world.

History showed that in the long run, it fails. Very few coaches in the history of football have won trophies with three at the back.

Yet you want Rohr who is not known as a three at the back coach to start experimenting with it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:34pm On Oct 28, 2016
joseph1013:
You did not say the system did not work, yet you're asking me about Juventus in champions league. What was that about?

The problem I have with you singling out the game with West Ham is that I can also single out Chelsea-United game and say it proves the system is the best in the world. West Ham played a weak Chelsea. How is that difficult to understand?

I singled the West Ham game not because Chelsea lost. Chelsea lost other games with four at the back under Conte.

I singled the game because of the ease West Ham swarm through. Especially before the second goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:35pm On Oct 28, 2016
I agree with Joseph1013. There is no good or bad formation. Playing three at the back can be tricky but it can work if properly applied.

If we want to try it out, we should take a period to perfect it so that each player knows his role. This can be in friendlies or in camping before a tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:37pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I don't think it should be our main/central formation strategy.

But we could employ it as one of our formation strategy options in the long run.

That's my own stand. smiley

The national team does not stay long together. Experimenting, testing and playing that kind of formation is a disaster waiting to happen.

If it were under a coach like Marcelo Bielsa who has a history of the system, no problem, not Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:46pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

History showed that in the long run, it fails. Very few coaches in the history of football have won trophies with three at the back.

Yet you want Rohr who is not known as a three at the back coach to start experimenting with it.
But coaches experiment all the time. Do you have any idea how many formations Pep has used? I was reading in the UK Guardian how he used 4 formations in 4 games at Bayern. Formations he's never used before. What about Mourinho? Several! He didn't use the Chelsea Diamond at Madrid.

Football is dynamic. You can't stay still. You must keep evolving. Just look at that guy at Totthenham. What's his name again? He's presently my favourite coach in the EPL. I like to watch games and see movement of players. The way he sets up his team is mesmerizing to watch. That's how dynamic football is.

So you can't say a coach should not try new things especially when we keep telling you it should be on low pressure games. There will always be games when we need to try a plan B.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:49pm On Oct 28, 2016
It's not like Rohr isn't an intelligent coach.

Come on Sir GoodJoe... No harm in trying it out in just a few friendlies or in second half periods of those friendlies or for the last 25 mins of a friendly.... It's all about adding to our formation strategy options.

I love that air of unpredictability sometimes. smiley

TheGoodJoe:

The national team does not stay long together. Experimenting, testing and playing that kind of formation is a disaster waiting to happen.

If it were under a coach like Marcelo Bielsa who has a history of the system, no problem, not Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50pm On Oct 28, 2016
joseph1013:
But coaches experiment all the time. Do you have any idea how many formations Pep has used? I was reading in the UK Guardian how he used 4 formations in 4 games at Bayern. Formations he's never used before. What about Mourinho? Several! He didn't use the Chelsea Diamond at Madrid.

Football is dynamic. You can't stay still. You must keep evolving. Just look at that guy at Totthenham. What's his name again? He's presently my favourite coach in the EPL. I like to watch games and see movement of players. The way he sets up his team is mesmerizing to watch. That's how dynamic football is.

So you can't say a coach should not try new things especially when we keep telling you it should be on low pressure games. There will always be games when we need to try a plan B.

Experimenting different formations is wide apart from moving from a back three to a back four. I have never heard of Pochettino of Tottenham or Jose Mourinho or Villas Boas in all their careers play a back three.

Guardiola tweaks his formations during play. That is his style and he has a history of that. In a match, we can start with a flat four at the back an tweak to three. But, Guardiola is no coaching the Super Eagles. Guardiola despite spending some months at City said he needs more time to work with the team.

The think of experimenting three at the back, how long is needed to get a team fluent at it. Then challenges that came with it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:51pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I singled the West Ham game not because Chelsea lost. Chelsea lost other games with four at the back under Conte.

I singled the game because of the ease West Ham swarm through. Especially before the second goal.
I will keep quiet about this formation if you can show me a formation that has not never lost a game very woefully. Chelsea lost 2-1, right? Show me a formation that has never lost at least 4-0.

I will keep quiet. Just show me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:52pm On Oct 28, 2016
The guy at tottenham? smiley

Mauricio Pochettino... smiley

Brilliant mind.... Heard he had coaching connections as a scholar to Marcelo Bielsa... smiley (hope I heard right)

joseph1013:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:53pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
It's not like Rohr isn't an intelligent coach.

Come on Sir GoodJoe... No harm in trying it out in just a few friendlies or in second half periods of those friendlies or for the last 25 mins of a friendly.... It's all about adding to our formation strategy options.

I love that air of unpredictability sometimes. smiley

The system has a kind of illusion that goes with it. We debated this extensively on the 2014 World Cup threads. You can go into the friendlies winning everything and then go into the main match and it tanks.

Remember Van Gaal won all his preseason games with three at the back. When the season started, it tanked.

Rohr is smart. This is not about smartness but the challenges of the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Oct 28, 2016
joseph1013:
I will keep quiet about this formation if you can show me a formation that has not never lost a game very woefully. Chelsea lost 2-1, right? Show me a formation that has never lost at least 4-0.

I will keep quiet. Just show me.

This is not about show you. Most coaches do not use the three at the back system because of the risk. The ratio is too high. That is enough to tell you that it is risky for our national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:56pm On Oct 28, 2016
Well, Van Gaal also used three at the back at World Cup 2014 and The Netherlands finished in third.

As for challenges, Every system has its Challenges Sir GoodJoe... smiley

TheGoodJoe:

The system has a kind of illusion that goes with it. We debated this extensively on the 2014 World Cup thread. You can go into the friendlies winning everything and then go into the main match and it tanks.

Remember Van Gaal won all his preseason games with three at the back. When the season started, it tanked.

Rohr is smart. This is not about smartness but the challenges of the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:00am On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Well, Van Gaal also used three at the back at World Cup 2014 and The Netherlands finished in third.

That is what I am saying. The World Cup was seven games. By the quaters, if I am correct, Robben had to dive to win. As the tournament progressed, it got harder. The Dutch started with a bang with the system. A 5-0 demolition of Spain.

The formation was the best thing since the diamond formation. By the quarters, the fire was out. Semis, they got knocked. Got the third because of The Brazilians lost their groove.

The same Van Gaal abandoned the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 12:00am On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
The guy at tottenham? smiley

Mauricio Pochettino... smiley

Brilliant mind.... Heard he had coaching connections as a scholar to Marcelo Bielsa... smiley (hope I heard right)

You also heard? It was authoritatively gathered that Sir Alex wanted him for the United job, but his agent was too difficult to deal with.

He's a top top coach. Do you know that he's used 3-5-2 before?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:03am On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

This Conte's wins does not excite me. The challenge is people studying and adapting to it. I want to see how long he will last. I think due to the pace of the EPL, too much tweaking of formations do not help.

In the game against Southampton, Guardiola switched from three at the back to four, using a 4-4-2 system. In the game against Man Utd he used a 4-2-3-1 formation. I hope Pep keeps it simple from now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:04am On Oct 29, 2016
Yep I did hear... smiley

And yeah... Sir Alex wanted Pochettino in the old trafford dugout... He even had dinner with him towards last season's end. I read all about it... smiley

And as a student of Bielsa, I won't be surprised to know he's actually executed matches with the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3...

joseph1013:
You also heard? It was authoritatively gathered that Sir Alex wanted him for the United job, but his agent was too difficult to deal with.

He's a top top coach. Do you know that he's used 3-5-2 before?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 12:06am On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Abeg.... In the midst of the 3-4-3 arguments, Ehmmm... Oga Tglobal... smiley

Abeg no vex... Been in and out of NL today coz I've been really busy today. Just hopped in the afternoon or so to drop news after the early morning drop.

So abeg... Sir Tglobal... I didn't know it was your Birthday until Sir Terzurum5 dropped something about that few pages back... Plsss... Emabinu... sad

My own dey come late... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND MAY ALL YOU WISH FOR BE GRANTED THEE. smiley

GODBLESS.

Thanks everyone of you, @TheGoodJoe, @TheSuperNerd, @AIG07. I appreciate it. Before today I thought the birthday wishes on nairaland came from friends who knew each other and initially wondered how terzurum5 knew my birthday till i figured out I must have given nairaland the information at some point. Thanks all and keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:10am On Oct 29, 2016
Well, I do get you.... But it's only as an option I seek the 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 for. A good, dynamic and "interesting" formation strategic option.

Lawd!!!! Do you know the Dutch side of the '70s reached the world cup finals of 1974 and 1978 playing the finest football of that era with the 3-4-3? wink

Halt!! I'm not saying it should be our central formation strategy. I'M SAYING ADD IT TO OUR FORMATION OPTIONS. Chikena... It could be helpful against certain oppositions and in certain game situations.

That others have abandoned it doesn't make it bad. Risky yes... But then all of football is risky be it low-risk and high-risk....

It's good to have options.

TheGoodJoe:

That is what I am saying. The World Cup was seven games. By the quaters, if I am correct, Robben had to dive to win. As the tournament progressed, it got harder. The Dutch started with a bang with the system. A 5-0 demolition of Spain.

The formation was the best thing since the diamond formation. By the quarters, the fire was out. Semis, they got knocked. Got the third because of The Brazilians lost their groove.

The same Van Gaal abandoned the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:15am On Oct 29, 2016
Yeah for the EPL..... Too much tweaking of the formations will confuse the players.

The players have to get used to a central formation under a manager firstly before they can adapt to the formation options and tweaks.

For the national team.... We already have a central formation under Rohr (4-2-3-1) and though we're getting better and targeting perfection, we can still imbibe the 3-4-3/3-5-2 as a formation option alongside others like 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond, etc.

TheGoodJoe:

This Conte's wins does not excite me. The challenge is people studying and adapting to it. I want to see how long he will last. I think due to the pace of the EPL, too much tweaking of formations do not help.

In the game against Southampton, Guardiola switched from three at the back to four, using a 4-4-2 system. In the game against Man Utd he used a 4-2-3-1 formation. I hope Pep keeps it simple from now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:17am On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Well, I do get you.... But it's only as an option I seek the 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 for. A good, dynamic and "interesting" formation strategic option.

Lawd!!!! Do you know the Dutch side of the '70s reached the world cup finals of 1974 and 1978 playing the finest football of that era with the 3-4-3? wink

Halt!! I'm not saying it should be our central formation strategy. I'M SAYING ADD IT TO OUR FORMATION OPTIONS. Chikena... It could be helpful against certain oppositions and in certain game situations.

That others have abandoned it doesn't make it bad. Risky yes... But then all of football is risky be it low-risk and high-risk....

It's good to have options.

Do you know the technical ability of the Dutch side in 1974? Those guys were technical wizards. It is a tough challenging system. Needs drills and intelligence to pull off.

It is too challenging for the Super Eagles. Especially with the short time for preparation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:19am On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah for the EPL..... Too much tweaking of the formations will confuse the players.

The players have to get used to a central formation under a manager firstly before they can adapt to the formation options and tweaks.

For the national team.... We already have a central formation under Rohr (4-2-3-1) and though we're getting better and targeting perfection, we can still imbibe the 3-4-3/3-5-2 as a formation option alongside others like 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond, etc.

There are many formations with the flat back four. The coach can experiment all but I do not agree with three at the back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:26am On Oct 29, 2016
That's why I say not for now but the long run as an option..... smiley

We are entering an era where technical wizards will occupy all roles in the Super Eagles team from Iwobi to Iheanacho to Success to Osimhen to Yahaya to Ndidi to Adarabioyo to Awaziem and more..... smiley

We can do this Sir GoodJoe.... IN THE LONG RUN, we can make it one of our solid formation options. This new era have the player-materials/playing personnel for it... smiley

Pre-tournament camping can see us train with the formation for several sessions (that's by dividing time for 3-4-3/3-5-2 preps from the main time to consolidate on our central game plan and other game aspects) before major tournaments.

We are already used to the 4-4-1-1 and 4-4-2 and can also execute the 4-3-3..... Now let's see if the 3-4-3/3-5-2 can be another tactical weapon for us.

Already our central strategy right now is the 4-2-3-1.

TheGoodJoe:

Do you know the technical ability of the Dutch side in 1974? Those guys were technical wizards. It is a tough challenging system. Needs drills and intelligence to pull off.

It is too challenging for the Super Eagles. Especially with the short time for preparation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 12:32am On Oct 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

This is not about show you. Most coaches do not use the three at the back system because of the risk. The ratio is too high. That is enough to tell you that it is risky for our national team.
Please read more about the formation. I can show you articles upon articles about the formation.

Do you know that Pep used that formation to conquer Europe at Barcelona?

You can't be rigid and say you will stick to a formation when you have personnel to play another formation brilliantly. Football has passed that stage. Coaches regularly switch formations in games nowadays. From 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 to 4-1-4-1 to 3-5-2. You cannot be static and say an experienced coach like Rohr should not try new formation. You never know when you will need them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 12:35am On Oct 29, 2016
tglobal:

Thanks everyone of you, @TheGoodJoe, @TheSuperNerd, @AIG07. I appreciate it. Before today I thought the birthday wishes on nairaland came from friends who knew each other and initially wondered how terzurum5 knew my birthday till i figured out I must have given nairaland the information at some point. Thanks all and keep up the good work
Happy birthday bro. Wish you a wonderful year ahead.

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (16349) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Mujtahida, EEGA, Damioduso1 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.