Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,249 members, 7,829,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11751161 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2133) (2134) (2135) (2136) (2137) (2138) (2139) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 10:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
forgiveness:

I focuced more on those players praised and castigated here yesterday hence my full attention on them.

Pls, watch the replay again and you will see he performed better in the second half. Did you see those blocks he made in the box?

Akpeyi people claimed was porour actually did very Well. The only mistake was the ball he handled outside the box. Beside, that he was ok because he made 3 crucial saves.

It is unfair people want him out despite those saves.

I'm also of this view. He performed well except for the 2 error: picking the ball and his positioning during the ensuing free-kick.

But for the errors, I doubt if Uzoho would have been introduced that early. That's 'the good in the bad'.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:03pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Truly Akpeyi wasn't that bad. The mistake was due to the fact that the linesman raised his flag but the referee blew for the game to continue. It was a mix up. Awaziem was even protesting. But his positioning was poor for the free kick. I don't think he'd be booted out sha

Watch the clip, Awaziem was screaming at Akpeyi when he gave away the foul but he then became defense attorney in front of the referee. Awaziem knew it was not a foul.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:06pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Truly Akpeyi wasn't that bad. The mistake was due to the fact that the linesman raised his flag but the referee blew for the game to continue. It was a mix up. Awaziem was even protesting. But his positioning was poor for the free kick. I don't think he'd be booted out sha

The free kick was magical hence the confusion.

You can see he was at that spot where the goal was scored prior to the free kick but moved to the opposite side as soon as the ball was kicked.

I can't blame him much because of the technic of the free kick taker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:10pm On Nov 15, 2017
mank1234:

I'm also of this view. He performed well except for the 2 error: picking the ball and his positioning during the ensuing free-kick.

But for the errors, I doubt if Uzoho would have been introduced that early. That's 'the good in the bad'.

I think Rohr already made up his mind to see some players, therefore, it was expected to see him played.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2017
Argentina's defeat in the hands of Nigeria is the first time a team has won Argentina under Coach Jorge Sampaoli.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:41pm On Nov 15, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
What potentials did Aina show? ... His position was the tunnel for the Argentines' attacks before he was taken off for Idowu who shut it down and even added to our attack.
It was glaring Aina can't attack and even score the way Idowu did in that match.

Pls, kindly watch Aina play for Hull city in the RB role then come back and tell us if he can not attack.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 11:54pm On Nov 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
The question now is where does Victor Moses play in this system? I mean I know where and I am sure we all do but will the man himself agree to play in his club position for the SE.
will agree ke,it's not matter of whether he will agree to play the role,he does not have a choice of where to play,and no one has,it is more of whether he will be able to collect the shirt back from Ebuehi.
if ur coach demand u should play even as keeper,u don't have any right to determine where u can play or not.

o pari

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:54pm On Nov 15, 2017
Just saw this brilliant post on OGN and I thought to share

Analysis Of Super Eagles Performance Against Argentina

It was a very resounding victory against a formidable Argentine team and there were some very good highpoints and as expected some critical low points noticed in the game. At this point if you’re expecting to whole-heartedly read a prediction such as “Nigeria for finals in Russia 2018”, kindly stop at this point.

Aha! I see you have made it to this stage. So let’s critically dissect Nigeria’s performance yesterday. Firstly, I must praise the boys for coming back in the second half so resoundingly but let’s not repeat that first half performance ever again. Nigeria can be forgiven because that was the first time (half) competitively trying out a 3-5-2 formation.

We could have easily been blown away at the 40th minute mark by being four goals down. I have read in some quarters as to what may have contributed to Balogun’s unexpectedly shaky performance against Argentina. Truth be told Balogun is not the fastest and in a 3-man defense, he should have been deployed in the middle. This was a position Rohr handed to William Troost-Ekong.

Now to Ekong, for all of his wonderful defending there’s little joy to derive from his ball passing abilities. He gave out a couple of erroneous passes that would have been resoundingly punished by a German or Spanish team.

Ekong should have manned the right side of the defense, a position manned by Awaziem. If Ekong can’t pass comfortably with his stronger right foot, imagine what would happen if he’s told to man the left side where he’d receive the ball more on his weaker leg foot.

We all saw how many times Balogun was pressured and rather than face the throw line, he constantly faced our goal while adjusting to clear/pass with his preferred right foot.

Now to Awaziem, that boy is very confident and fearless player and passed comfortably with both feet. As a result I would opine that he be deployed on the left wing back role moving forward.

I don’t think Shehu has a loyal fan as much as yours sincerely; however, he had a below par performance in that new formation. He defended well, but in order to justify why it is called a left wing-back role, you also have to attack as well as defend.

That was where he had the problem. Whenever, he pushed he wasn’t protect and there were a lot of true passes coming through his wings (it was a disaster on Aina’s wing – I’d get to that soon). I’d attribute this to our poor passing game in the first half which exposed our fullbacks as we lost the ball carelessly.

This put Shehu under a lot of defensive recovery procedures all of the first half. Oh Aina! Aina!! Aina!!! He was thoroughly exposed in that game. But, I have seen him play that for Hull City and Chelsea to great effect. The Argentine through passes (ground and up) all made it to Pazon.

All in all I’d attribute the flaws of the defense and also the team as a whole to the fact that it was their first time playing that formation.

Now comes the good part. What a second half blitz Nigeria had, it was glorious to watch. Iwobi’s one-two game was top notch, Iheanacho drifting wide worked to great effect.

In the second half I dare say Nigeria didn’t play with any forwards as they all drifted wide – I specifically call this the “triple-false nine”. Any of Iwobi, Iheanacho or Mikel randomly popped up in the Argentine box.

It was a sight to behold. Now to the substitutes, Ebuehi had a wonderful game, he was what Shehu had hoped to be in that rather forgettable first half. He timed his attacking/defending to perfection yesterday.

He was always an available outlet when we attacked. Although, Idowu scored a goal he was not more of a consistent attacking threat as Ebuehi. He was very cautious and defended more. Due to these reasons I think Rohr may give Aina another chance in the LWB position.

Overall, the passing in the midfield improved in the second half and that rubbed off positively on the fullbacks as they didn’t have to worry much about unexpected defensive recoveries due to bad give-aways. It’s best I don’t talk about the goalkeeping department – I assume we can make comprehensive judgements. No need flogging a dead horse!

I fear for the regulars that missed this game like Ighalo and Echejile. The former may still force his way but I fear for the latter as he now has serious competition in either a 4-3-3, 4-5-1, or 3-5-2 formation (he can forget about being considered in a 3-5-2 formation). While I fear for the other two, I have no fears for Onazi and Moses.

Onazi would walk back into Ogu’s role. For Moses it depends on what Rohr wants to achieve. Moses would always play for Nigeria. Rohr may sacrifice Iheanacho from the line-up and put Moses in that right sided false-9 position. Or he could deploy as he’s currently deployed for his club.

He and Ebuehi are both double footed and could play either left wing back or right wing back positions. But I doubt Rohr may confine his most lethal player in a wing back position, hence, Iheanacho may be sacrificed for Moses.

It would not be good for Rohr to permanently jettison our existing 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formations. There may be times we could be stifled in a 3-5-2 formation, reverting back to our old system may be the solutions.

With all of the praises going out to the players, I have not seen anyone mention the perfect playing surface of the pitch against Argentina in Krasnodar. That surface really helped our game. For all of the hullabaloos made about the Uyo pitch, it’s never been the smoothest of playing surfaces.

The last time Nigeria played a home game on a smooth surface was versus Tunisia in 2009 in Abuja and that’s attributed to the fact that Nigeria was preparing to host the 2009 under-17 world cup. Little details like smooth playing surfaces are taken for granted in Sub-Saharan Africa. It would be nice if the government prioritize stadium maintenance in Nigeria.

Finally, we are not yet there but we are getting there. I can dream and hope for Nigeria bettering their previous achievement of a second round finish. If and when we cross that huddle, anything could happen from there. I would keep the Eagles in my prayers come December 1, 2017 so as to get a favorable group draw as these are the little details that could determine how far we’d go.

Guest post written by Daffy ( @Sport_People_Ta)

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/15/analysis-of-super-eagles-performance-against-argentina/

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 12:11am On Nov 16, 2017
Kog45:
God bless you,too much respect gave Argentines an edge in the first half until Rohr talk to the boys before 2nd half.

In the first half no Nigeria players was at his best,no cohesion.

Good experience for the boys we are getting there with new players like Bryan Idowu,Uzoho,Ebuhei.
exactly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:11am On Nov 16, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
The question now is where does Victor Moses play in this system? I mean I know where and I am sure we all do but will the man himself agree to play in his club position for the SE.
i think in order to accommodate both V.Moses and Ebuehi and utilized them effectively,i suggest Iwobi should be played in the midfield,and Ogu would b dropped, the 3 main midfielders will b made up of NDIDI,MIKEL and IWOBI,while IHEANACHO or whoever will play up front with V.MOSES,IDOWU and EBUEHI will fill the LWB and RWB respectively.
this is just my opinion .
it's imperative that we master as many as 4 major formations,because u never know the kind of opposition we will b facing at d WC.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:17am On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

To be sincere, Aina is typically a more attacking minded right back at Hull city. He in not a LB.

The right back is not yet locked until we see him, Brian Idowu, Moses Odubanjo and Nura Abdullahi play in that RB role.

Odubanjo is a non starter, he has been out over a year with injury. It will take him at least six months to get match fit. And then to start playing week in week out that may come next season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:22am On Nov 16, 2017
Napoleon55:
will agree ke,it's not matter of whether he will agree to play the role,he does not have a choice of where to play,and no one has,it is more of whether he will be able to collect the shirt back from Ebuehi.
if ur coach demand u should play even as keeper,u don't have any right to determine where u can play or not.

o pari

You are being quite presumptuous in thinking that Ebuehi is now Numero 1

One game doesn't make a player, there is a lot of games to go. I do think Ebuehi had a good game but I do not think he eclipsed Shehu or Aina he proved capability not superiority That's my view.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:28am On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

I focuced more on those players praised and castigated here yesterday hence my full attention on them.

Pls, watch the replay again and you will see he performed better in the second half. Did you see those blocks he made in the box?

Akpeyi people claimed was porour actually did very Well. The only mistake was the ball he handled outside the box. Beside, that he was ok because he made 3 crucial saves.

It is unfair people want him out despite those saves.
Rohr will drop Akpeyi only 'IF' Enyeama comes back,it's very easy to predict what Rohr can do,
it's correct Akpeyi actually did ok apart from those errors,but not too good o,just average,he was more composed than his previous performances
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 1:14am On Nov 16, 2017
Mikel brings more to the table than his poise and skills, this guy has the respect of all his teammates because he has achieved so much and he has played at the highest level with some of the best players for several years. I'm a big fan of Joel Obi (hope to see him back in the team soon) but his presence will not bring what Mikel's presence will bring to the team.

#SkillAloneIsNotEnough
#ALeaderIsNeeded
Peace

tbaba1234:

We need to look into the possibility of Joel Obi in particular, different kind of player but can play that role

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:27am On Nov 16, 2017
komekn:

You are being quite presumptuous in thinking that Ebuehi is now Numero 1

One game doesn't make a player, there is a lot of games to go. I do think Ebuehi had a good game but I do not think he eclipsed Shehu or Aina he proved capability not superiority That's my view.

no,i did not think he is the first choice,i was only suggesting a situation we can play both V.Moses and Ebuehi in a 3-5-2 formation,or any formation involving RWB,V.MOSES is still far better RWB than Ebuehi ,so V.MOSES is my first choice RWB,i'm not carried away by Ebuehi's performance to no disrespect,he did very good.
i'm not like most fans here,just one good performance from a new player,they r ready abandon the player that has been performing well before.
do u want to know what i really think,just like i said about IDOWO,that he would steal the show at the LB,
that's exactly what AINA is going to do to SHEHU and Ebuehi the moment he is given the opportunity,he is going to steal the show as well,with the emergency of BRIAN IDOWO,he's definitely is going to be the b our first choice RB at the WC,if given the opportunity,but he must cut his hair to a more decent size.
so when everybody would have been tested before the WC,our first choice full backs,LFB and RFB is most likely to be IDOWU and AINA respectively.
V.MOSES as d first choice RWB,if we decide to play 3 CB.
one more shocker,especially for u is that ISAAC SUCCESS is going to gate crash the WC list if he starts playing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:11am On Nov 16, 2017
Akpeyi's explanation for his brain fart yesterday

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 3:01am On Nov 16, 2017
forgiveness:

The free kick was magical hence the confusion.

You can see he was at that spot where the goal was scored prior to the free kick but moved to the opposite side as soon as the ball was kicked.

I can't blame him much because of the technic of the free kick taker.

Bros stop making excuses for Akpeyi, there is a reason you set up a wall..except you don't trust that wall.. He was anticipating the ball to the right instead of just trusting his wall..

People making excuses for him don't realize that single fatal mistake he made if made in a world cup game is the difference between winning and losing...that guy is just too error bound, doesn't inspire any confidence whenever you watch him..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:22am On Nov 16, 2017
Now i feel sorry for Akpeyi after reading his post. Unfortunately, football is about performance.. He acknowledges his previous errors and says he understands why people think, he is bad.

Akpeyi's Post

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:30am On Nov 16, 2017
Coming late though!!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:32am On Nov 16, 2017
tbaba1234:
Now i feel sorry for Akpeyi after reading his post. Unfortunately, football is about performance.. He acknowledges his previous errors and says he understands why people think, he is bad.

Akpeyi's Post

It is well with him! Feel for him though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:34am On Nov 16, 2017
Mikel finally joined playing gang!

Feeling of the World Cup trophy

Mode of celebration

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:35am On Nov 16, 2017
Dybala Jersey with Ebuechi!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:36am On Nov 16, 2017
tbaba1234:

Akpeyi's Post

This man needs to work on his confidence. He needs a sport psychologist. It is obvious that previous errors are also playing in his mind.

That explains why he is always jittery. It is not about ability. He needs more composure.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 16, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

It is well with him! Feel for him though
u should pray u get another call up, embarassed
Had it been this was world cup proper, na this we for hear undecided

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 5:33am On Nov 16, 2017
tbaba1234:

Akpeyi's Post

Trash! Trash!! Trash!!! Too late to cry when the head is cut off. Better stay far away from SE. How long will it take you to learn?... You have kept so long for SE, U-23 at the Olympics yet from one error to another.

You are terrible, simply put... Someone should show this guy the way out of camp please.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 5:45am On Nov 16, 2017
Adidas is a different company from nike. Nike has not released designs for its contingent to the WC. Perhaps they may dorm it in the March friendlies or May of next year.

Mujtahida:

Danielnino posted the WC kits of countries like Belgium, Spain, Germany. And during this break that is what they wore. So I feel this one might be our WC Jersey. Not sure though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:02am On Nov 16, 2017
tbaba1234:

This man needs to work on his confidence. He needs a sport psychologist. It is obvious that previous errors are also playing in his mind.

That explains why he is always jittery. It is not about ability. He needs more composure.

I saw this too, I feel for him though. He's having issues with composure

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Xzbit91: 6:24am On Nov 16, 2017
bengine:

Bros stop making excuses for Akpeyi, there is a reason you set up a wall..except you don't trust that wall.. He was anticipating the ball to the right instead of just trusting his wall..

People making excuses for him don't realize that single fatal mistake he made if made in a world cup game is the difference between winning and losing...that guy is just too error bound, doesn't inspire any confidence whenever you watch him..

Seriously, I wonder why they're defending him. This is not the first time Akpeyi is making a school boy error that almost cost us a match.

Every time he plays, we the fans have our hearts in our mouth. We could have easily lost this game and it would have been his fault. So, he deserves all the stick he gets.

He doesn't know that play does not stop until the referee has blown his whistle yet he wants to go to world cup. SMH

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:42am On Nov 16, 2017
I'm scared we'll get a tough group. Look at Pot 2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:45am On Nov 16, 2017
realpoacher:

Trash! Trash!! Trash!!! Too late to cry when the head is cut off. Better stay far away from SE. How long will it take you to learn?... You have kept so long for SE, U-23 at the Olympics yet from one error to another.

You are terrible, simply put... Someone should show this guy the way out of camp please.

Thanks

Please take it cool with him... No matter of thrash words will do anything... Such can happen to anyone in life...

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:46am On Nov 16, 2017
edi287:
I'm scared we'll get a tough group. Look at Pot 2

We need to play a very organized European team, those pot 3 teams are tricky. Denmark, Sweden and Iceland..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:48am On Nov 16, 2017
tbaba1234:

We need to play a very organized European team, those pot 3 teams are tricky. Denmark, Sweden and Iceland..

Exactly! Scandinavian team won't be a bad idea..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2133) (2134) (2135) (2136) (2137) (2138) (2139) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: typicalgamer(m), Yachambliss(m), Joebie and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.