Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,698 members, 7,851,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11871891 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2130) (2131) (2132) (2133) (2134) (2135) (2136) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:44pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
yes i'm surprised. He is actually good at shooting. Maybe only when he plays for the green white green.... lol
Precise shooter!
Rohr be like 'Wenger I no tell you'

But on a serious note Iwobi co-ordinates himself quickly when he's at the centre than from out wide. All his goals for us has come from the central position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:49pm On Nov 15, 2017
EEGA:
Iwobi,Ogu and Ndidi, their face be like "we never knew you(Ebuehi) were this good".
They are like Omo, na so you good

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:50pm On Nov 15, 2017
And his pace is something else.

Mujtahida:

Rohr be like 'Wenger I no tell you'

But on a serious note Iwobi co-ordinates himself quickly when he's at the centre than from out wide. All his goals for us has come from the central position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:51pm On Nov 15, 2017
Well I meant October, and November rankings then. Don't miss the main point.
Thanks for the correction though.
nelszx:

You're calling December rankings when November hasn't even been published
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 3:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
just saw the push otamendi did to kelechi I perceive racism
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:54pm On Nov 15, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
It should be Moses.
They've gotten over Moses. Iwobi's pain is still fresh.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
Alexander35:
please is Brian Idowu left footed or right footed? anyway I think the team needs few left footed players for more balance. congratulations to the team.
He's naturally left footed but also uses his right leg well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
Isahalbash:
Most Nigerians are fake SE fans. They are just waiting for dem to b beating so dey can abusing everyone in d team nd condemned dem totally. These people can't motivate you when you are facing challenges, rather, they would laughed at you and rubbished your entire passed successes than support you.

IF YOU CAN'T SUPPORT US WHEN WE ARE LOSSING, DON'T SUPPORT US WHEN WE ARE WINNING.

VERY UNPATRIOTIC ND UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE.
it's common everywhere bro
same at the club level
very annoying

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 3:59pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

They've gotten over Moses. Iwobi's pain us still fresh.
If only we were able to snatch dele alli form them too, the pain would have been more severe for them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:00pm On Nov 15, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
But I don't thinks its our WC kit 'cos there has never been a news about it.
The top would have looked better if it has a bit of white features on it.
Danielnino posted the WC kits of countries like Belgium, Spain, Germany. And during this break that is what they wore. So I feel this one might be our WC Jersey. Not sure though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
My Observation from watching 35 minutes of the first half of the Argentina match:

1. Balogun is doing too much ball playing than he should do. He needs stay at the back and make simple passes.
2. Aina is good at marking his man. The formation demands that he go forward when we are in possession, this he did very well. Balogun has no business going forward. Balogun made Aina look bad.
3. The second Argentina goal was caused by Mikel. Now let me land before you fight me. Argentina was in possession in their backline and Mikel came forward to tackle, going completely out of the midfield position. Mikel as the pillar of our midfield, was absent as soon as Argentina launched a counter. Balogun in turn as I already mentioned was not at the back line, and was not fast enough to catch up, this exposed us at the rear.
4. Shehu could not keep up with his man. Our wing backs need to be really fast. Even Aina is not really fast. This formation calls for fast wing backs.
6. John Ogu is a very good tackler.
7. Ndidi is a workaholic. I see why he is compared to Kante.
8. We played conservatively. I think for the first 20 minutes or so we had not even managed a single shot at goal.
9. But for the lapses mentioned above, especially Akpeyi's blunder, we didn't do badly in the first 35 minutes.
Your first point is spot on. He was coming in deep and playing like he wanted to play like a libero. I began scratching my head. One time he lost to the ball to Aguero. We recovered but that could have made it 3-0 and crushed us psychologically. He doesn't have pace. He should not be used for a three man back line.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:05pm On Nov 15, 2017
INJURY UPDATE

Nigeria's First-Choice RB Target Announces He'll Return To Action Before World Cup
Published: November 15, 2017

Photo Credit : hullcitytigers.com

Nigeria's First-Choice RB Target Announces He'll Return To Action Before World Cup EFL Championship side Hull City have provided an injury update on former Nigeria U23 invitee Moses Odubajo.

The ex-England U20 international has not played for the Tigers since he got injured in a pre-season friendly against Grimsby Town in July 2016.

''Long-term injury victim Moses Odubajo is hoping for a return to action in the Spring following a positive meeting with his consultant this week,'' Hull City wrote on their official website.

''That represents light at the end of the tunnel for the 24-year-old right back, although any predicted return date remains tentative at this stage after such a lengthy lay-off.''

Odubajo had been approached by the Nigeria Football Federation supremo Amaju Pinnick to represent the Super Eagles as the national team coaches looked to solve the problematic right back spot.

As a result of his lengthy spell on the sidelines, the Nigerian Federation made moves for Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Brian Idowu.

Igho Kingsley

--ANS
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

They've gotten over Moses. Iwobi's pain us still fresh.
He said the best among the foreign-bred players. And that has to be Moses.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:10pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
in fact we didn't go forward much in that first half, until we conceded the second. I think most of the blunder -- except Akpeyi's -- was due to positional awareness in a new 3-5-2 formation.

The successful trial of this 3-5-2 might introduce new dynamics oo. Is it that they've been experimenting with this method all this while? Or they just latched on it from after the match in Algeria. The showed character sha in adopting to it in the second half and it was good of Rohr not to have changed the formation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2017
Mujtahida:

Danielnino posted the WC kits of countries like Belgium, Spain, Germany. And during this break that is what they wore. So I feel this one might be our WC Jersey. Not sure though
Its not our WC kit.
NFF would have announced it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2017
Kalapizim:
How Idowu ran forward to be in position to score the third goal is beats me up till now. the guy just show from nowhere and boom !
He was in the box when Iwobi scored the equaliser sef. Any rebound, he would most likely have buried it but thank God Iwobi buried it right in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:
I don't know if my boss Naptu2 has ever been a member of this thread.

He's got memories dating far back 70s. Yes!

We would be pleased to have you here sir, as we can benefit from your experience, there are others you'd meet here who are old timers too.
I wonder why he's never been here. That naptu2 is like Icon4s, kog45, goldfish80, BascoVanVeli and tglobal. I read him on other threads and his postings are quite rich especially in recollecting the past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:

You DE mind them?

By the time we pick Onomah, Aneke polish them well, na that time their eyes go open.

Since their eye no wan open reach their side.
That's how third world war will start. Be waiting for Kim Jong Sue and Trump. Na naija and England go start am on top players

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2017
femianski:

it's common everywhere bro
same at the club level
very annoying

I left dat Nig vs Arg thread because of d abuses de rained on those players nd d team in general. It seemed Nig own worse cos if Nig won 99 matches nd lost a single one, de wud condem all dere passed efforts.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2017
Even Victor moses's position in super Eagles is threatened with this new system

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:36pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

In the last few games, Balogun has been starting poorly. He needs to be playing regularly before the WC.

How does that change the fact he started poorly?

The point is, the game didn’t change after he was substituted. Balogun was still on the field when the game changed. That's the point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:40pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

Argentina played badly in the first half. It was not as if they were destroying Aina. Aina put in a decent shift defensively.

Aina struggled with having to bomb forward. His instinct is to hold back as a full back.

Defensively, he did not do badly.He was bad going forward.

It was a new system that they all struggled with in the first half. The reality is there was no real stand out out player in the first half. Add to that they were cautious, cagey and a bit nervous. Iwobi who scored two struggled in the first half to find any kind of rhythm.

A poor first half but a far better second half also Argentina opened up as well in the quest to score and so great Victory for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:47pm On Nov 15, 2017
Icon4s:
Abeg how did the Russia Vs Argentina game end?

Argentina won 1-0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
forgiveness:

How does that change the fact he started poorly?

The point is, the game didn’t change after he was substituted. Balogun was still on the field when the game change. That's the point.

I am agreeing with you, bros...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:55pm On Nov 15, 2017
zuchyblink:
Even Victor moses's position in super Eagles is threatened with this new system

Victor Moses is a definite starter.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2017
junnyjake:

You DE mind them?

By the time we pick Onomah, Aneke polish them well, na that time their eyes go open.

Since their eye no wan open reach their side.

Those two boys are ballers. Aneke style doesn't suit Epl. He will fair better in la liga. The lad is a real baller and versatile.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

I am agreeing with you, bros...

Alright, bros.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:07pm On Nov 15, 2017
Goke7:

with what you have said here, you and I know that aina chances of making the final team to russia is minimal except some other players are injured. The RB is surely btw shehu and ebuehi though I have seen you making a case for shehu to be pushed up into the midfield for your dear aina to have a chance but you are not rohr, we all thought aina had finally displaced elderson until yesterday's game though I already saw the signs against Algeria. Pray harder for aina to make the cut cos for now it's not looking too good for him

Did Aina played LB yesterday? Are there differences btw LWB and LB, 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 formation?

Can Elderson play that role? Besides, Aina is a better player on the RB role. I know this because I saw him played in that role several times and he is more better attacking than defending.

However, I will chose Ebuehi ahead of Aina for now because Ebuehi is more experienced than him.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:17pm On Nov 15, 2017
Joebie:
And his pace is something else.

What do you say about Iheanacho's pace? Not blistering as such but good pace I must say.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2017
I haven't checked yet, but I believe that you can catch the game on youtube now. Our second half yesterday (considering the opposition) is the best Super Eagles display I have seen since the USA '94 World Cup. I believe that this team can get it together and surprise people at the World Cup if there are no interference from the NFF.

Haha @visiting a native doctor. No worries, my prayer warriors can take care of the situation. They have never failed me before.

O pari

Danielnino00:
I'm so angry with DSTV ehn... I went to the viewing centre like 5 times today,they didn't open...I even ran to the home of the center owner to inform him that AIT and NTA will show the match grin he wasn't at home..
Had to switch off my phone due to anxiety.. switched it on 3 hours later and rushed to nairaland...I saw 2-4 on FP gringrin I no trust NL mods at all so I ran to goal.com and livescore.com grin grin. Mehn I was so happy grin

I'm very happy for Ebuehi ehn ..the dude finally got his chance and he didn't let it slip.. TBH,Rohr will be faced with a selection headache for the final 23 man squad.. Brian Idowu also made his mark..

As for Akpeyi, Sir Icon79, me and u shall visit a native doctor very soon to make sure he is never invited to the super eagles team again,cus it seems like our goalkeeper trainer are too lazy to do their job...BTW,I saw the highlight and I'm so impressed with Uzoho.. f##k those who will say he isn't experienced... let's groom him and he will turn out good...

(1) (2) (3) ... (2130) (2131) (2132) (2133) (2134) (2135) (2136) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.