Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11786775 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2202) (2203) (2204) (2205) (2206) (2207) (2208) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:22pm On Nov 22, 2017
SerVik:

Ebuehi turning out for Holland is a far-fetched possibility, just like the ones I listed. If we are getting worked up about ebuehi turning out for Holland, what about the hundreds of other far fetched possibilities?
Should we be also worried about Rohr resigning from his Job? What about Mikel retiring before the world Cup? That's my point.
You just love to get things complicated
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:22pm On Nov 22, 2017
Napoleon55:
senior national team,not age grade team,
but however,Siasia never beat any Argentines' team.
we usually beat them at u-17 cos we are powerhouse at that level.
and Bonfre's u-23.
u r still to answer my questions,or r u suggesting Siasia?
Suggesting Siasia for what?

My man Samson Siasia beat Argentina senior national team 4-1 in Abuja,Rohr now the second coach to achieve the same feat.

We are not trying to downgrade Rohr,his achievement with Nigeria team so far speak good of him but remeber he must surpass Westerhoff and Keshi's achievements to be rated as Nigeria best.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:23pm On Nov 22, 2017
hi little correction we have played a draw with the argies 1995 confederation cup 1995

Kog45:
What is the meaning of first coach to beat Argentina main team.

Let me give you the scorecards between the two countries

We played total of 12 matches Argentina (win) 6 (draw) nil (lose) 2 (Goalfor) 12 (Goalagainst) 12 (point) 12,Nigeria (win) 2 (draw) nil (lose) 4 (Goalfor) 12 (Goalagainst) 12 (point) 6.

There is nothing like team B in international friendly match and nobody is hating Rohr but that's the fact he was not the first Nigeria coach to beat Argentina.Samson yebowei Siasia was the first Nigeria coach to beat Argentina.

Let us always give respect to some of the achievements of our coaches cos some always full of excuses to downgrade their success.Do you want us to say Rohr beat Argentina cos Messi was absent,no is not tenable cos messi is not Argentina but a player playing for Argentina.

Truly the local coaches cannot be compared with foreign ones but they are the real foundation of Nigeria football.I remember the same Siasia won silver at Olympics but was not celebrated like Bonfrere Jo that won Atlanta 96 gold with bunch of Super eagles players.

Stephen Keshi won afcon but a lot believed it was luck winning all his matches from quarter final to final in 90 minutes but celebrate Westerhoff that used 5 years to nurtured a team to win afcon.

Let us just respect their achievement though they have their shortcomings and my advice i noticed some don't want Rohr to be criticised,no is not possible we need to evaluate him critically so that the team can grow.Criticising him is not hatred but for the love of the team.

Rohr has done well so far and kudos to him for yeoman job.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 12:28pm On Nov 22, 2017
Is it true that tosin Kehinde of Manchester United has picked Nigeria ahead of England?

Cc: forgiveness tbaba1234 Joebie
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:35pm On Nov 22, 2017
komekn:

How credible is this about Iyoha

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/05/emmanuel-iyoha-rules-out-switching-allegiance-to-nigeria-from-germany-due-to/
He got bashed for his comments. It's not like he's lying though...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:36pm On Nov 22, 2017
SerVik:
Is it true that tosin Kehinde of Manchester United has picked Nigeria ahead of England?

I just saw this on ANS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2017
edi287:

I just saw this on ANS.
How good is he?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:45pm On Nov 22, 2017
Ighalo chased by four top EPL side
Published on: 22 November 2017

Following his brilliant season at Changchun Yatai in the Chinese Super League and his contributions to Nigeria emerging the first team to qualify for the World Cup 2018 in Russia, Super Eagles forward, Odion Jude Ighalo is wanted by a number of English Premier League clubs again.

Ighalo stood out in his first season in China where he scored 15 goals and assisted four times for Changchun Yatai after moving in a whopping 20 million pounds deal last season from London-based club, Watford
Clubs reportedly interested in him include Everton, WestHam United, Southampton and Stoke City.

Though the former Udinese of Italy attacker still has two more years on his contract with Changchun, According to AOIFootball.com, it is left to see if he would love to move back to England in January.

Ighalo’s family lives in London and the player had to endure living alone in China all season without his family.

Meanwhile, another Super Eagles’ player, Moses Simon, has expressed his delight after recovering from a toe injury that ruled him out for two weeks which made him miss Nigeria’s last game of the year against Argentina, reports

The winger combined with fellow compatriots Anderson Esiti and Samuel Kalu for his club Gent, to defeat Lokeren 3-0 in the Belgian

First Division game played on Sunday.
After the game, the former AS Trencin forward took to his official Instagram page to appreciate everyone who supported him during the period.

“It feels good to be back on the pitch and it was an awesome win last night. Big thanks to all #buffalo fans and most especially to my teammates for your never ceasing support. Have a wonderful week,” he posted

Nigeriasoccer.net

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:51pm On Nov 22, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
You just love to get things complicated
there is nothing complicated there.

It's just you getting worked up over nothing. First, you question his right to be hopeful of his World Cup chances, next you insinuate that he will dump us for Holland if he doesn't get to play at the World Cup.

Just like Dessers, it's obvious you know little to nothing of Ebuehi as well hence your subtle attacks and befuddling misconceptions.

Just enjoy the good football you are getting courtesy of the team and stop trying to overanalyse everything.

It's not Ebuehi's fault he has dual nationality, let the boy be

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2017
SerVik:

These are beautiful, but I'm 90% sure we ain't getting these.
sure stuff. Nike love giving us junks

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:11pm On Nov 22, 2017
chrisooblog:
hi little correction we have played a draw with the argies 1995 confederation cup 1995

Thanks for the observation,correction and remembrance.Already edited.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2017
Forget her complexion! she's a pure naija babe, if no be say she be underage ehn ehn...

By Remi Sulola
INTERVIEW: I learnt how to score headers from watching Mutiu Adepoju, says Sophia Omidiji

Sophia Omodiji, a football prodigy born to a Nigerian father and American mother, was recently invited to the squad of the Nigeria U-20 female team.
The midfielder who plays for Dutch division one club S.B.V Excelsior is regarded as one of the best young talents in women’s football.
Playing for PSV Eindhoven in the 2015/2016 season, Sophia scored 18 goals in 20 games while in the next season, she netted 15 times in 20 appearances for Gent.
In this interview with TheCable, Sophia talks about her career, family background, and future prospects.

How will it feel to play for Nigeria despite having the options of picking another country?

I might just shed tears of joy and I don’t cry easily but the journey to getting there has been a journey, to say the least. It will be a honour to represent my fatherland. I’m Nigerian but won’t sit here and deny my American side. I was born and raised in the States and came up playing in Las Vegas but my dad is Nigerian and as his only daughter, I have always said that it will mean something special to him to see me represent Nigeria. Every Nigerian in diaspora will tell you that even though we’re abroad, our heart is never too far from Nigeria so it will be a honour to represent Nigeria and sing that national anthem at international level. I had many opportunities to play college football in the States but because I had my mind set on playing international football for Nigeria, I came to Europe so that I can be positioned to have an opportunity and I feel blessed and fortunate to even be considered. God who is cooking the soup, has not left the kitchen. It will be a great and proud moment for me and my family.

How much are you looking forward to playing at the FIFA World Cup?

If you’re a professional football player male or female and your dream isn’t to play at a world cup, then you’re not dreaming big enough. I am relishing the opportunity to play on the biggest stage in world football and contributing my quota to an already amazing team and group of players who have dominated African football for decades, not just the previous legends but the current legends in the making and my goal isn’t just to play at the world cup but to help my nation win it. So, I am immensely looking forward to it because I truly believe that we have the potential to shake the world in France in 2019.

How was the experience while in camp with the U-20s?
For one, it’s always a great experience coming home, I’ve been coming to Lagos every summer since I was a child but never been to Abuja even though my dad has a home there. I have never gone past Lagos and Ogun (Abeokuta) so to come on an invite to the national team and get to experience a part of the country I have never been to was a surreal experience. I got to see that our style of play in Nigeria is very similar to the way we play in the States and the way the game is played in England and I saw that our nation is blessed with hard working people, working behind the scenes.

You have three younger brothers who are also footballers. How does that make you feel?

It’s family first in all we do, we are a close-knit family so I am absolutely proud of them. I have three younger brothers and we all support, encourage and motivate each other because that’s what family does. Lateef Jr is known to anyone who follows football as one of the top young prospects in Europe- when you see the type of calls we get for him you’ll know what I am talking about. Rasheed is one of the best 9-year-olds in the Netherlands. He is the perfect #10- fast, strong, can finish but is very, very technical. Amir, the baby, is something else as well. He’s very confident in himself at such a young age so I am extremely proud of them.

How does it feel to have an endorsement deal with Nike?

I’m proud and happy to be associated with a company with a reputation as big as Nike and it’s a recognition, not just of what they see that I’ve done so far, but also what they see that I can do in the future so I feel truly blessed. There is some stuff in the works for the future with Nike. They are coming to do a few things in Nigeria with me.

What was your experience after you transferred from Gent to SBV Excelsior in June 2017?

Sometimes, you labour for love, I love football and at the time, KAA Gent was the best situation for me even though I lived in the Netherlands and for those familiar with that area, commuting four days a week and games on the weekend from Holland to Belgium is no easy feat but I did it and it was a good chance to learn a different style of play in a different country, learn a different system as only the modern day dogs can chase the modern day rabbits but when the opportunity came to stay in the Netherlands and still play at the highest level, I took it but many didn’t know that I used to drive and sometimes go by train from Holland to Belgium 5 days a week because I wanted to play football. Hard work is something we are taught at home and if you want something bad enough, you’ll do what’s necessary to do it. Coaches and players at Gent were like, ‘child you are crazy’ and I was like ‘no I’m just determined’. A palm nut that wants to become palm oil would have a taste of fire. You labour sometimes for your dreams. Whoever is unwilling to suffer loss cannot experience gains.

How was your childhood in Nevada, Las Vegas?

Growing up in Las Vegas was awesome, I’ve been back every year (off season) since I’ve been playing here. Most of our family and friends are still there and we still have a home there. There are three parts to that question, the growing up in Las Vegas part, the family and friends part and the football part.
Las Vegas is a meeting point for people from all cultures. Las Vegas is where I was shaped as an individual where I learned how to play football and gained my confidence as an individual. Vegas is only a 4 1/2 hours drive to Los Angeles so if you want to go hang out in LA or Arizona, they’re both next door.
In terms of family, that’s what I miss most about Las Vegas, my grandpa and grandma Omidiji, and a lot of our extended family are in Las Vegas. It also has a large Nigerian community where we all know each other, all support each other. We had three Nigerian stores and two Nigerian restaurants and many many Nigerian parties so I definitely miss all my family and friends, people I grew up with, so a part of me is always in Las Vegas.
Football-wise, I enjoyed it because I thrived in the face of those that doubted me. I learned a lot from a lot of great coaches who were encouraging and supportive and were really in the business of teaching and developing.

You have some coaches that think coaching is all about holding clipboards and not engaging your players or creating division in your team by not playing the best players.

Those type of coaches are a shame to the sport, real coaches judge talent based on how well one trains so I was lucky not to have played for the quacks and they are on every continent. I started off in recreational soccer then moved on to competitive football.
Can you recall your time at the Premier Sports Academy from 2013 to 2015?
I had some great coaches like coach Eyal Dahan who I will say in every interview was the best coach I ever had because his belief in me as a player was unequalled. He would say ‘get the ball to Soph and let her do her thing’ and I thrived while playing for him, scored a lot of goals and played a lot of games and learned what coaching was all about playing for him.
You don’t field players that clearly cannot play as a coach, you field players that will help you win games otherwise how are you developing them if players know that no matter how mediocre they are in training they would play. Coach Eyal always played the best players- no bias or favourites, he respected the game so I respect him for that. When I play at a World Cup, I would say the same. I thank coach Eyal for believing in me and pushing me to get better.

You scored 18 goals in 20 games for PSV Eindhoven in 2015. How was the experience?

That was fun. I’ve always said and will always say- if I play for the right coach, in the right system, I can score against any opposition. It’s always fun to play where a coach has belief in you, I’m fast, technical, strong and a good finisher those are my top four qualities. If a coach can’t do anything with those qualities, then I don’t know what to say. There is no defense that can stop me if I get the ball in the right place.

How does it feel to have both Nigerian and American background?

It’s a blessing. I’m blessed to be American just as I’m both blessed and privileged to be Nigerian as both backgrounds define and shape who I am. You learn grit and determination in the States, learn to be tough, to be okay with being different, not conform and rebel a bit against the norm. My Nigerian background teaches me to respect my elders, respect myself/my body, work hard, know the value of education and regardless of the circumstances. My Nigerian background teaches me that God’s always in control and no condition is permanent and both have taught me to be kind to people, be a positive person but also stand up for myself. It’s a blessing being of both backgrounds.

What’s your favourite Nigerian food?

Pounded yam and egusi and a bottle of Fanta. Nigeria is so blessed with amazing cuisine that I think the world is missing out, so many snacks and finger food in Nigeria; Suya, kokoro, kuli kuli, agbalumo, about 100 types of efo, jollof rice prepared by different people with different tastes but I’m an Abeokuta girl so I love pounded yam, eba, amala. That’s what I grew up on.

You are the record scorer at Sierra Vista High School with 98 goals in four seasons. How proud do you feel?

My proudest moment has to be leading my high school team to the state cup final- which is the first and only time the school has ever been in a state cup final. I remember the quarter-final game, players from the team we were about to play posted some comments online on how they were going to stop me because according to them, they would just overwhelm me with their size and strength that I would be easy to stop.
One of the players on my team showed me their comments and I was infuriated. I was the best player in our division, had taken my team to the playoffs every season and for them to still be talking about my size I found insulting. I scored five goals in 28 minutes against them before my coach subbed me out. We ended up winning 7-2. I hate questions about my size or strength because size has nothing to do with strength and size has nothing to do with ability on the pitch otherwise Lebron would be Messi and Messi would be a nobody. I started football playing against boys who were supposed to be stronger and I dominated them. That was a proud moment for me. My grandma was on the sideline and said ‘iya kekere’ (small woman) is showing them.

Who are your favourite female and male players?

Female is Martha and male is Messi. Double M! But I also look at players like Onome who is one of the most decorated players in Africa and reminds me of Benedict Iroha on how she marshals the defense and her versatility to also play midfield is unrivaled by many players male or female.

How hopeful are you that you will reach the highest height of international football?

Very hopeful. God isn’t done with me yet, not even scratched the surface of my goals and ambition yet. I will continue to work till I reach my destination. I’m very proud of where I am at the age of 20 and looking forward to the future with a lot of zeal and determination. The diligent seldom falls into disrepute so I’ll stay steady, keep working hard and praying. I have no doubt that what is meant to be will be. No one sniffs what he or she won’t eat.

How excited were you to meet Emmanuel Amunike in London?

The 2017 BBC African Footballer of the year award was amazing. I’m actually still in a London state of mind. I had a chance to meet a lot of amazing people, from the two panelists to meeting Nigerian legend and coach Emmanuel Amunike was a dream come true, especially when you have a dad that has a stack load of VHS tapes of games played by the 90s Eagles.
Dad would say forget Mia Hamm, Look at the way Finidi crossed that ball, I’m very good with headers because my pops made me watch Adepoju and challenged me to score a header every two-three games. Coach Amunike was very humble, polite and shared his knowledge and advice because he has played at the highest levels of the game, won the U17 World Cup with Nigeria as a coach in 2013 and 2015, played at Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon. It was a great experience. I am an observer and learner, soaked in a lot of knowledge from being around people that have lived it, are living it, people that can talk football for hours because that’s what they do. Those are people you can learn from if you’re a football player.

Thecable

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2017
Kog45:
Oga komekn no hope for home based if Nigerian players that find their way to Europe are now being marginalised for foreign born cos all i see now is Foreign born players,hope this will not affect the foundation.

Is it an issue of home based Or something fundamentally deeper. Since the advent of the millennium and even before the desperate bid to leave Nigeria has become unquantifiable.

As a result, being totally honest with ourselves 95% of players who are in Nigeria are desperately seeking to leave. They may even consider playing in India or Vietnam.

Then the reality is that once these boys or men get to Europe. Depending on what circumstances they become Foreign made by development and improvement.

The reality is that for players who show potential in Nigeria. It is more likely that thier potential will be developed and harnessed in an environment with far better facilities, coaches and a concise training regime.

Iwobi, Onyedinma, V.Moses, Anichebe, These players were all born in Nigeria to mention a few. Where you were born doesn't necessarily define your identity. It's more complicated than that.

At the end of the day the issue is not home grown if anything like that exists. But getting the very best players we can get.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2017
SerVik:

Cc: forgi.veness tba.ba1234 Jo.ebie

Had we qualified for the U-20 WC, we'd have had the opportunity to size most of these guys up, like Anichebe, Aluko, Oduwa, Semi Ajayi and many other FBs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:21pm On Nov 22, 2017
komekn:

Is it an issue of home based Or something fundamentally deeper. Since the advent of the millennium and even before the desperate bid to leave Nigeria has become unquantifiable.

As a result, being totally honest with ourselves 95% of players who are in Nigeria are desperately seeking to leave. They may even consider playing in India or Vietnam.

Then the reality is that once these boys or men get to Europe. Depending on what circumstances they become Foreign made by development and improvement.

The reality is that for players who show potential in Nigeria. It is more likely that thier potential will be developed and harnessed in an environment with far better facilities, coaches and a concise training regime.

Iwobi, Onyedinma, V.Moses, Anichebe, These players were all born in Nigeria to mention a few. Where you were born doesn't necessarily define your identity. It's more complicated than that.

At the end of the day the issue is not home grown if anything like that exists. But getting the very best players we can get.
Yes very best hope we can see so something good in CHAN not necessary now but for the future.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:26pm On Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Everton striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni retires from football

today.ng

Nov 22, 2017 12:06 PM

Former Everton striker Yakubu ‘The Yak’ Aiyegbeni has announced his retirement from football on his 35th birthday today.

The big striker featured for Nigeria at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where millions of fans still remember him missing a big sitter against Korea Republic which would qualified Nigeria to the knockout stage of the tournament.

He has played for several clubs including Maccabi Haifa of Israel, Portsmouth, Blackburn Rovers and Middlesbrough as well as in China and Turkey.

Earlier this year, Yakubu cancelled his contract at English club Coventry.

Today.ng
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:35pm On Nov 22, 2017
NIGERIA ICON YAKUBU AIYEGBENI ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT FROM FOOTBALL
13:05

The former Super Eagles forward confirms that his playing career is coming to an end on his 35th birthday

Yakubu Aiyegbeni announced his immediate retirement from playing football on Wednesday, at the age of 35.

"I would like to officially announce my retirement from professional football today,” Aiyegbeni told Sky Sports News.

"Firstly, I would like to thank God for the career I have had. I would like to thank the entire Nigerian Football Federation and my Nigerian national team-mates for all the memorable years I had playing for the Super Eagles.

"I would also like to thank all the football clubs I played for. The managers, all club staff, owners, fellow players and my dearest family and friends who immensely supported me throughout my career.

"When I started my career at Julius Berger in Nigeria all those years ago (1997) I could only have dreamt of the success that was to follow years after.

"Also playing in England especially helped me grow as a player and as a person so much that I am now settled here. I feel the time is right for me to now focus on the next chapter in my life."

Goal.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2017
These are mere insinuations, as regarding the real position of the coach, the quotes did little to credit that.

Hull City Boss Explains Aina’s Left-back role
Published on: 22 November 2017

Hull City boss, Leonid Slutsky has explained that he opted to play Ola Aina as left-wing-back during The Tigers’ last match in the English Championship simply because he wanted to try out some new tactics with the team.

Though the game eventually ended in a 2-2 draw at home against Ipswich Town, Slutsky says he has now regrets for tinkering with Aina on the left side of defence, rather than keep the lad on loan from Chelsea in his usual position on the right.
Slutsky appeared to have watched Aina play as a left-back with the Super Eagles against

Algeria in Nigeria’s last World Cup qualifier as well as in the first half of last Tuesday’s 4-2 win against Argentina.

However, the former CSKA Moscow of Russia coach hinted that he might still make another switch in positions for the player, as he says his choices are based on current form and dictates of the particular point in time.

Aina had played predominantly from his normal role in fifteen of his appearances for Hull City prior to the contest against The Tractor Boys, but fellow-Chelsea loan defender, Fikayo Tomori replaced him at right-back in the week seventeen fixture.
Dramatically, Aina actually started his career as a right side winger with an eye for goal before he was converted to play as a full-back at Chelsea.

Slutsky explained his decision to switched Aina to left-back and play Tomori at right-back as a right choice made based on observations of the talents available to him.
The coach stated: “I felt that was the right decision made on form but of course things like this can change with each match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:44pm On Nov 22, 2017
If Ebuehi opts to represent Holland, fine, we wish him good luck.
Truth is, we won't miss him, there are more than enough players at RB.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:55pm On Nov 22, 2017
Mujtahida:
I feel our team is not balanced. We play more to the right than to the left. Fact is we have too many right footed players than left footed players in this team. As a nation we seem to be predominantly right footed hence our difficulties in producing LB and LWF. Since Amunike I'm not sure we've had a natural LWF.
An analysis by Solace Chukwu on medium (@oddsolace you guys can check him out) posits that 8 out of 12 goals scored during the WCQ (he wrote this before our last WCQ against Algeria) came as a result of build up from the right flank, 2 from the middle and two from the left.
This is not too healthy in my estimation. Yes a team should play to its strength but at the same time our strength is too obvious and that can possibly make it easy for tactically astute teams to dismantle us

Please let's analyse this issue
Cc Mickael2, Kog45, MetalJigsaw, elyte89, Icon4s, tbaba1234, Joebie, goodjoe, Taliban, forgiveness, komekn, ChrisKels, Chrismario, kennysville, kingphilip, soetanoreoluwa, safarigirl, Icon79, Napoleon55, realpoacher, jotey, sontoly, Daejoyoung, nelszx, somehow and all on this thread

If we are looking for a natural left winger, Sheyi Ojo and Sone Aluko are natural LW and we know they are very good.

But in this era right footed players play on the LW while left footed players play on the RW. Ronaldo is right footed but he plays on the LW while Messi at the early stage of his career played on the RW.

Ahmed Musa, Tega Etebor, Moses Simon, Alex Iwobi, Henry Onyekuru and Ademola Lookman are LWs while Victor Moses, Sone Aluko and Sheyi Ojo are RW..

If I am asked to choose two each for these positions, I will naturally choose Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon for the LW while I choose Victor Moses and Sone Aluko for the RW.

The reason I will not choose Alex Iwobi is because I consider him an AM, therefore, I will deploy him in the SS role.

Why I choosed Ahmed ahead of Onyekuru is because he is more experienced and also dangerous on that wing but if he doesn't get enough playing time prior to the WC then I will replace him with Etebor or Onyekuru.

Simon Moses is ahead of Etebor and Onyekuru.

It is very natural I choose Victor Moses because he is almost the best in Africa. Sone Aluko is more experienced than Sheyi Ojo hence my choice to pick him ahead of Sheyi Ojo. It is not as if Sheyi ojo is not good enough. If Sone Aluko is not available I will choose him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:55pm On Nov 22, 2017
welcome boss

Kog45:
Thanks for the observation,correction and remembrance.Already edited.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:02pm On Nov 22, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Taliban:
After reading a lot of pages here and also a long and hard thought. I have come to the conclusion that these players should be the ones to go t the world cup.
Goal Keepers
Vincent Enyeama
Dele Aiyenugba
Dele Alampasu
Defenders
Ola Aina
Seyi Ojo
Dominic Iorfa
Efe Ambrose
Thiago Ilori
Mosis Odubanjo
Midfield
Hope Akpan
Jude Aneke
Raheem Lawal
Abdul Ajagun
Mikel Obi
Joel Obi
Josh Onomah
Ryan Sanusi
Attackers
Obafemi Martins
Ike Uche
Fred Onyedinma
Kayode
Sone Aluko and
Adegbenro

Standby
Ovie Ejaria
Chuba Akpom

If we can present this guys who are the best leagues imagine what we will achieve. There's still time to get them to blend together, right now these are the best we have as we can only take 23 players to the world cup.

The staring eleven should look like this
Enyeama
Ola Aina Thiago Ilori Efe Ambrose Sheyi Ojo
Abdul Ajagun Josh Onomah Raheem Lawal
Kayode Martins Ik Uche

Mikel will be coming in as an impact sub and that would really tilt the games in our favor. Also there is Jude Aneke, Adegbenro and Joel Obi too who can come in from the bench.

I had to unfortunately drop Onazi, Ndidi and even Victor Mosis, even though they are very good players who the stats for Aneke, Raheem Lawal, Abdul Ajagun and Onoha are extremely difficult to ignore. You need to see how Kayode won the best player in Austria and how great a game Fred Onyedima had against Man City that's why I had to drop Victor Mosis.
Go Nigeria!!!!!!!!!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:06pm On Nov 22, 2017
SerVik:

How good is he?

Simple question ❓ how many first team games has he played? How many England youth games has he played? Finally, what loan moves has he been on and performed

That will tell us progression or level ability otherwise it's just a good gesture. However, playing for United youth team doesn't mean automatic quality.

I know United well and have seen many boys just making up the numbers. It's possible to have only 6/7 players with real potential and other who look good because they are surrounded by quality players.

Also there is the issue of corruption and that can push a player back. I have seen him play not that impressive so far.

I remember John Cofie a team mate of Pogba he was a striker in the United team that won the youth cup with Pogba. Where is he now at the 8th tier of football that's how low he has gone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:10pm On Nov 22, 2017
this is one of the reasons why i want joel obi in the team he is also left footed. at the moment i'm not sure we have any left footed wingers in form.

Mujtahida:
I feel our team is not balanced. We play more to the right than to the left. Fact is we have too many right footed players than left footed players in this team. As a nation we seem to be predominantly right footed hence our difficulties in producing LB and LWF. Since Amunike I'm not sure we've had a natural LWF.
An analysis by Solace Chukwu on medium (@oddsolace you guys can check him out) posits that 8 out of 12 goals scored during the WCQ (he wrote this before our last WCQ against Algeria) came as a result of build up from the right flank, 2 from the middle and two from the left.
This is not too healthy in my estimation. Yes a team should play to its strength but at the same time our strength is too obvious and that can possibly make it easy for tactically astute teams to dismantle us

Please let's analyse this issue
Cc Mickael2, Kog45, MetalJigsaw, elyte89, Icon4s, tbaba1234, Joebie, goodjoe, Taliban, forgiveness, komekn, ChrisKels, Chrismario, kennysville, kingphilip, soetanoreoluwa, safarigirl, Icon79, Napoleon55, realpoacher, jotey, sontoly, Daejoyoung, nelszx, somehow and all on this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2017
SerVik:

It is true.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2017
Subjective post.

Mike Emenalo, how feasible??

Super Eagles: Keeping an eye on the future

tribuneonlineng.com

Nov 22, 2017 4:29 AM

The Super Eagles celebrating the victory.

IT took quite a while for Nigerians to grasp the realities of the problems of unsatisfactory achievements by the country’s senior football team, the Super Eagles, at international meets.

Being a man of good hunches, I knew long ago that at the core of the problem was age-cheating specifically and governmental interference generally.

Really, the approach of Coach Gernot Rohr is to build a team based on the merits of actually being young rather than the merits (or lack of it thereof) of claiming to be 10 years or  younger than one’s true age.

The outcome of Rohr’s philosophy (let us for now happily call it so) is clear for all to see.

Nigerians can now gauge our true strengths and weaknesses against opposing teams.  If humility permits, let us also admit that the massive injection of foreign-raised Nigerian-rooted bi-racials like Carl Ikeme, Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Tyrone Ebuehi, and foreign-raised Nigerian-rooted mono-racials like Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina and Brian Idowu has raised the standard of our play immensely.

This is because these  lads did not wait until their early 20s before they chose the route of football as a profession.

Thus, down the line in the future when Gernot Rohr eventually bids farewell to the national team, the person currently in the right circumstance that can fill his position is Michael Emenalo, a former Director of Football at Chelsea Football Club.

Mr. Emenalo would relate very well with highly-sensitive and technically-inclined youngsters of Nigerian heritage who are presently in football academies scattered all over Europe.

Nigerian football has really come of age.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:17pm On Nov 22, 2017
House, what happened to Kehinde Fatai?

His name was reigning all over here at one time and the story of he pledging allegiance to Roumania.

Where is he now? And has he finally featured for Roumania?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:20pm On Nov 22, 2017
God bless you Ighalo.

Ighalo Completes Construction Of Orphanage, To Be Launched In December

wetinhappen.com.ng

Nov 22, 2017 12:20 PM

By James Agberebi: Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo has set aside Saturday, December 16, 2017 as the date for the launch of his new orphanage in Lagos, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Chima-based Ighalo confirmed the date on his verified Twitter handle on Wednesday.

Last year, Ighalo revealed he planned to open his own orphanage to help the needy.

He was also posting pictures of the orphanage during construction stages on his social media accounts.

And on Tuesday, a press conference was held in Lagos to brief the public about plans concerning the unveiling of the orphanage.

Present at the conference were former Nigeria internationals Peter Rufai, Samson Siasia and Austin Eguavoen and also ex-Super Falcons goalkeeper Ann Chiejine.

“Launch date is 16th of December 2017 you are all invited,” Ighalo wrote on his Twitter handle, with pictutes of the completed buildings of the orphanage.

The pictures show one big, one-storey building with artwork in the front of the top floor depicting Ighalo in his traditional goal celebration of kneeling down and raising his hands to the heavens. ‘God is able’ is boldly inscribed under the image of Ighalo.

There is what looks like another one-storey building behind the main one, both looking big enough to comfortably accommodate scores of children.

The orphanage is located in Ijegun, a relatively newly developed, but highly populated part of Lagos in the Ikotun area, where there is not much affluence.

Ighalo helped the Super Eagles secure the sole ticket in Group B for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:27pm On Nov 22, 2017
Kakamorufu:
I saw these designs on twitter. Wish we can get Nike to make these.

This is more like it.

I don't like the jerseys we used against Algeria and Argentina.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ratcockoduduwa: 2:35pm On Nov 22, 2017
junnyjake:
God bless you Ighalo.

wetinhappen.com.ng

By James Agberebi: Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo has set aside Saturday, December 16, 2017 as the date for the launch of his new orphanage in Lagos, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Chima-based Ighalo confirmed the date on his verified Twitter handle on Wednesday.

Last year, Ighalo revealed he planned to open his own orphanage to help the needy.

He was also posting pictures of the orphanage during construction stages on his social media accounts.

And on Tuesday, a press conference was held in Lagos to brief the public about plans concerning the unveiling of the orphanage.

Present at the conference were former Nigeria internationals Peter Rufai, Samson Siasia and Austin Eguavoen and also ex-Super Falcons goalkeeper Ann Chiejine.

“Launch date is 16th of December 2017 you are all invited,” Ighalo wrote on his Twitter handle, with pictutes of the completed buildings of the orphanage.

The pictures show one big, one-storey building with artwork in the front of the top floor depicting Ighalo in his traditional goal celebration of kneeling down and raising his hands to the heavens. ‘God is able’ is boldly inscribed under the image of Ighalo.

There is what looks like another one-storey building behind the main one, both looking big enough to comfortably accommodate scores of children.

The orphanage is located in Ijegun, a relatively newly developed, but highly populated part of Lagos in the Ikotun area, where there is not much affluence.

Ighalo helped the Super Eagles secure the sole ticket in Group B for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:35pm On Nov 22, 2017
junnyjake:
God bless you Ighalo.

wetinhappen.com.ng

God bless you Odion.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:43pm On Nov 22, 2017
Kakamorufu:
I saw these designs on twitter. Wish we can get Nike to make these.

Wow I love this!! Though its kind of similar to Germany's last world cup kit...

But I doubt Nike will give us something like this . Their jersy design is always too plain..
Have u seen Saudi Arabia kit? its just the same as ours..

(1) (2) (3) ... (2202) (2203) (2204) (2205) (2206) (2207) (2208) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone, bennie1980(m), Posh(m), jihday(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.