Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2321) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11750524 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2318) (2319) (2320) (2321) (2322) (2323) (2324) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 08, 2017
CityJoe:

I got ban trying to post some articles about Nsofor's impact at West Ham. By tomorrow, TheGoodJoe will be back.

Got you!!! Waiting for the Good Old Joe!!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 11:08pm On Dec 08, 2017
goldfish80:

He obviously hit a purple patch but couldn't sustain the form. If a forward player scored just 3 goals and zero assists in 25 games, he obviously flopped and deserves to loose his place in the team.
Alluding that he lost his place in the team because he's Nigerian is beyond absurd.
Some defensive midfielders contribute more than 3 goals and zero assists in a season.

He was in form and the coach chose to drop him. Simple. You did not watch it then. You did not know about it. Those who followed it have said Nsofor was good. You can keep arguing what you did not follow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2017
kentebemoney:

True he plays with more guile for us and he will play a huge role for us in the world cup but I was talking in the context of the 3-5-2 formation , I would play Victor Moses ahead of Alex.

Shehu Troost. Leon. idowu

Simon ndidi. Mikel. Victor

Kelechi. Iwobi

This is our most potent attacking formation
The midfield is too thin... just two midfielders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:19pm On Dec 08, 2017
CityJoe:

Childish jibe. I have repeated my point over and over again. Kelechi Iheanacho is one of the most lethal finishers around. What Mbappe and co. have ahead of him is more all round play. It took me time to decode it, I am willing to learn. Now I get it. I keep studying Gabriel Jesus to understand what Guardiola wants.

As for the finishing, I rate Iheanacho ahead of them but I want Nacho to work hard to add more to his game.
There's nothing childish here.... I drew parallel lines with your jaundiced comment against the supposed opinion of West Ham fans (unverified).

You claimed Kelechi was better than Mbappe. You even said Mbappe can't get a game at City.

Honestly, some of your jaundiced opinions are legendary.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:21pm On Dec 08, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Nice list though but I don't think just a single DM is a good idea. Even Rohr has never and will never go that way. two DMs and an attacking midfielder in a 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-3 is the most esseintial content and element of thebmoderb day football midfield.
mind you mikel is a.....DM.
he plays that role for Chelsea for several years...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:24pm On Dec 08, 2017
Humility017:

mind you mikel is a.....DM.
he plays that role for Chelsea for several years...
How many midfirlders are there in the 4-4-2?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Even in Super Eagles Kelechi is still struggling to keep the ball in his feet. It so sad. If you cant do something as primary as trapping a ball then you are finished.
Its a pity. Tj guy has a lot to lean about ball control.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:26pm On Dec 08, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
How many midfirlders are there in the 4-4-2?
like 3....I say 3 reason because iwobi can as well function as AM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 11:27pm On Dec 08, 2017
goldfish80:

There's nothing childish here.... I drew parallel lines with your jaundiced comment against the supposed opinion of West Ham fans (unverified).

You claimed Kelechi was better than Mbappe. You even said Mbappe can't get a game at City.

Stop running in circles and deviating from the point. In my discussion about Mbappe, I clearly stated I was judging him from the City game. I also clearly stated that I have not watched his games and will follow him.

Gave my preliminary assessment and say I will keep following him. Keep in mind that Gabriel Jesus is not having regular game time at City. City is difficult.

The point is that you were arguing about Nsofor as if you knew when you had no idea. When you saw you were wrong, you resorted to Iheanacho. Which is very childish.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:30pm On Dec 08, 2017
Humility017:

like 3....I say 3 reason because iwobi can as well function as AM
In a 4-4-2 formqtion , the two players upfront basically and usually consist of a CF and a Second Striker/ Supporting Striker. No midfielder has a business playing alongside the CF upfront.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 11:31pm On Dec 08, 2017
goldfish80:

You thought you can Google stats and start arguing a point you did not watch. Even when others tried to point it out, you were forming Voltron. Now your have seen that there was a time Nsofor was voted player of the month for West Ham, you are talking purple patch.

You were wrong. Simple. Now you are talking Mbappe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:40pm On Dec 08, 2017
blueto:
He dazzled with all these attributes against African teams in Afcon, but how did he fare against world cup teams with quality defenses in 2014?

To unlock sturdy defenses, you need quick incisive exchange of passes like what we saw against Argentina, not the acts of holding the ball for long and making excessive dribbles. A good defense may keep such a player from scoring or causing major havoc.

We have friendlies coming up, so the coach should play him as a wing back in one of those games or more and lets really see how he will fare before the world cup proper.

this is one of the most baffling things on this thread. They say that if VicMo is played as a wingback it reduces his influence on the team and I am wondering, if it reduces his own particular influence but increases the efficiency of the team as a whole then who cares? Granted we may not have a devastating winger aside VicMo but a player who has scored over 30goals in a calendar year(Onyekuru) isn't really Jozy Altidore, besides if we use a wingback system with VicMo it means we'd only need two attackers afterall, I would change Iheanacho with a more potent striker and push Mikel to Ogu's position and replace him there with Iwobi and free up Onyekuru in Iwobi's former position and that's that. I believe VicMo can offer a lot more than any other fullback of ours can offer playing as the left wingback and since we have capable replacements, it's a possibility we should explore.

Barrister wetin you think? Cc Mujtahida

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:46pm On Dec 08, 2017
CityJoe:

You thought you can Google stats and start arguing a point you did not watch. Even when others tried to point it out, you were forming Voltron. Now your have seen that there was a time Nsofor was voted player of the month for West Ham, you are talking purple patch.

You were wrong. Simple. Now you are talking Mbappe.
The guy couldn't sustain the form over a period. 3 goals in 25 games without assist is paltry and not worthy of a contract renewal.
Obinna played the best football of his career for Chievo. Ever since he's been a journey man with nothing to show.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:51pm On Dec 08, 2017
CityJoe:

Stop running in circles and deviating from the point. In my discussion about Mbappe, I clearly stated I was judging him from the City game. I also clearly stated that I have not watched his games and will follow him.

Gave my preliminary assessment and say I will keep following him. Keep in mind that Gabriel Jesus is not having regular game time at City. City is difficult.

The point is that you were arguing about Nsofor as if you knew when you had no idea. When you saw you were wrong, you resorted to Iheanacho. Which is very childish.
You're lying through your teeth. I can pull out that shocking quote of yours where you claimed "Mbappe won't get a game at City Fact! "
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 11:53pm On Dec 08, 2017
goldfish80:

The guy couldn't sustain the form over a period. 3 goals in 25 games without assist is paltry and not worthy of a contract renewal.
Obinna played the best football of his career for Chievo. Ever since he's been a journey man with nothing to show.

Still running in circles and talking Chievo. That is not the point. The point is so simple. Nsofor was good. He was in form and Grant dropped him. After Grant dropped him, the team tanked. We were even laughing about it then.

Finish. Not to talk journey man. The point is made.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 11:56pm On Dec 08, 2017
goldfish80:

You're lying through your teeth. I can pull out that shocking quote of yours where you claimed "Mbappe won't get a game at City Fact! "

Pull. What are you waiting for? I will like to read to see the advancement of my ideas and also see where I was right or wrong.

It is you who ego of getting something wrong pains that you resorted to attacks.

At the moment, Sterling is our highest goal scorer. Sane has won the EPL player of the month. Aguero is Aguero, one of the best ever. Mbappe will not find it easy.

So please, I beg you, bring out the post, so I can read and assess.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:04am On Dec 09, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

Can you back up your Submissions with Facts and Stats?! I admire your Confidence, but Football has gone beyond personal view.

Super Eagles will fair better in Russia, but let's help the Team to make the Dream a Reality with verifiable Facts.
dont mind him. He must be a prophet. " Nig vs Arg game WILL end in a draw. lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:17am On Dec 09, 2017
kentebemoney:

If we go with 7 defenders and play with a back 3, we go get only two subs,

Believe me, we'll play more games at the world cup with 3 at the back

We shouldn't go with just one formation/tatics to the Mundial, else we get terribly exposed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:23am On Dec 09, 2017
somehow:
You still don't get my point sir, to mourinho who stands as the subject matter here, Europa is useless and meaningless to him, so winning it is "meaningless". We are talking about you saying because he stopped behaving in a certain manner, he's now more successful than before which is totally wrong, he won more laurels when he was a pushy arogant coach than now that you say he's changed.

I said he's now mature and now less arrogant. And you said as a result he has become less successful than he was before, and I said he hasn't been a failure yet.

You get to a certain level in life and you say to your self, I'm done being a "mal parido, pandejo"

We are watching, let's see how far Oliseh's arrogance will get him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 09, 2017
junnyjake:

You shouldn't look down on people here, some of the people here are actually coaches, many are close to some coaches (Past and present ) others are scouts, many are very knowledgeable and exposed to the science and technicalities involved. You won't know nada because they don't blow their own trumpets often.
grin grin coaches my ass$ grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 12:54am On Dec 09, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Anybody familiar with Victor Moses knows he is very selfish and by this I mean holding the ball for too long and wanting to dribble everybody ,score himself and become the hero. I cant direct you to a particular game but he do this all the time. Against Algeria in Uyo and Cameroon in Nigeria it was obvious. He over carries the ball and dont know when to release the ball. In Uyo against Cameroon he denied Ighalo a golden chance because of his complacency. VicMo is a selfish player in the colors of Nigeria just like Okocha was but this doesnt mean they cant play good football.

It's obvious you don't like V Moses, I am a Chelsea fan and watch their matches a lot. Even when Chelsea are in need of goals other than Hazard they depend on him to do the takeon you're trying to discredit him for, this is why they sometimes switch play to his side. Did you watch the last match against Atletico? He took on several defenders on several occasions, and this is what Conte appreciate about him that even made him enter the team without fighting for his starting position against Zapacosta that was doing well in his absence. And talking about him doing those takeon in the WC, can they be more organized at the back than the top teams he has constantly disorganized their defenses? Give the guy a break he deserves respect and not insults.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:05am On Dec 09, 2017
Icon79:
True. But if we are going to play with wingbacks then Idowu and Ebuehi are most likely to start.

O pari

When we play England in a friendly and any other top teams. I would say the player ahead currently is Shehu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:07am On Dec 09, 2017
blueto:
Instead of analyzing them one after the other, I think it is better to find their weakness(es) and strength(s) as a team and device means to exploit there weakness(es) and contain their strength(s). Paying attention to individual players and their performances for me is not healthy for the team as it can cause unnecessary fear in the team. If you watch the friendly against the Argentine "star studded" team, it seemed that the our players lacked a bit courage against them until Iheanacho scored a tremendous goal and they thought to themselves: "these guys are not super humans after all." I saw how people were already uploading gifs of some Croatians players and that is not the best if you ask me. it may lead to our players paying too much attention on some of their players and thereby failing to concentrate on other important aspects of the game. Know their weaknesses as a team and exploit .
You're 100% spot on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:17am On Dec 09, 2017
CityJoe:

Childish jibe. I have repeated my point over and over again. Kelechi Iheanacho is one of the most lethal finishers around. What Mbappe and co. have ahead of him is more all round play. It took me time to decode it, I am willing to learn. Now I get it. I keep studying Gabriel Jesus to understand what Guardiola wants.

As for the finishing, I rate Iheanacho ahead of them but I want Nacho to work hard to add more to his game.

KC is very heavily left footed biased and you rate him ahead of these players, I admire your misplaced patriotism.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 2:25am On Dec 09, 2017
goldfish80:

He obviously hit a purple patch but couldn't sustain the form. If a forward player scored just 3 goals and zero assists in 25 games, he obviously flopped and deserves to loose his place in the team.
Alluding that he lost his place in the team because he's Nigerian is beyond absurd.
Some defensive midfielders contribute more than 3 goals and zero assists in a season.
But l am confused, you said just 3goals in 25games, while Cityjoe is saying he scored five goals in 3 games at a certain period.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 2:35am On Dec 09, 2017
Icon4s:

I wonder when people say these things about Onazi.

The only time I will not play Onazi is if Mikel goes into the CM position, which is not so likely.
The truth is Onazi doesn't always provide cover for that defence, he is full of running though but as a central midfielder, against quality teams it could be dangerous. l also noticed this in the Algerian game in Uyo(especially with the goal we conceeded). lt's just a slight weakness he can work on as a central midfielder. No player does everything perfectly, l like the fact that he reads the game well and he is an intelligent marker too though average in making quick passes in a free flowing game like the one we played against Argentina(2nd half). Both Onazi and Ogu should be in the world cup, can't say much on Etebo for now, but I'll definitely drop Agu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:44am On Dec 09, 2017
Daejoyoung:

The truth is Onazi doesn't always provide cover for that defence, he is full of running though but as a central midfielder, against quality teams it could be dangerous. l also noticed this in the Algerian game in Uyo(especially with the goal we conceeded). lt's just a slight weakness he can work on as a central midfielder. No player does everything perfectly, l like the fact that he reads the game well and he is a good marksman too though average in making quick passes in a free flowing game like the one we played against Argentina(2nd half). Both Onazi and Ogu should be in the world cup, can't say much on Etebo for now, but I'll definitely drop Agu.

I was also very critical of Onazi in the Algerian game but he was really good in the last couple of qualifiers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:45am On Dec 09, 2017
Tunisia's new acquisition for the WC. Dual citizenship players declaring for a chance at the WC.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:50am On Dec 09, 2017
Munir El Haddadi who has already played a competitive game for Spain in 2016 is asking for a Special concession by FIFA so that he can represent Morocco at the WC

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:37am On Dec 09, 2017
goldfish80:

bros please accept, else Joe go follow you drag till next year o, infact agree that he deserved the world best but he didn't get it because he's a Nigerian
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:40am On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
Munir El Haddadi who has already played a competitive game for Spain in 2016 is asking for a Special concession by FIFA so that he can represent Morocco at the WC
see desperation, I'm sure he'll do a boateng after the World Cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 5:22am On Dec 09, 2017
somehow:
But is it too late to learn how to trap ball? He wasn't the only one phased out of man city, (Yaya toure, etc), yet those ones haven't lost what they are made of.

Pep did same with Eto, toure, ibrahimovich etc at Barcelona but these players didn't diminish, I think he did same with some young players too who ended up becoming stars

Tiago's career was almost ruined by one of Barca's coaches when he was there due to lack of play time even when he was supposed to be playing until he moved to Bayern, he's now a star there.

Nobody can stop anyone's shine without the permission of the person. If you're good you are good. No room for blaming, he should step up and train himself like other bests do.

Well my friend you are very right. However, i would like to point out that we all dont handle rejection very well. If you have lived in a family where favoritism is shown openly, you will understand that its not an easy thing to shrug off. Yes he should be a man. I do agree, but when you damage a child's confidence @ formative years, it has a way of lingering for long if not therapeutically dealt with. Some people dont like being shouted at, some dont even like being questioned. Some dont like public rebuke while some are used to being abused. Its all about one's type of personality. It takes the grace of God to handle things life throws at us.

I know someday we will hear the true about what went down from Iheanacho himself. But i doubt it would be any different from what happened to Etoo, Ibrahimovic and a host of others. Pep is a snake. You should watch Samuel Etoo's interview on youtube.

Anyways, like i said earlier, Iheanacho, you will blow whether they like it or not. Baldiola or not, Western influence or not. No one will stop you. Only believe. If you are reading this, believe it! Psalms 145 vs 14

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2318) (2319) (2320) (2321) (2322) (2323) (2324) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.