Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2324) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11685572 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2321) (2322) (2323) (2324) (2325) (2326) (2327) ... (16155) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 8:34am On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

Bro, David Silver had always being an unbelievable genius before Guardiola said so.

Even meself acknowledged it as soon as I saw him played in his first season at Man city. It was for this reason I followed Rabiu fom Sporting Lisbon to PSV, Celtic, Kilmarnock, Trencin and finally Gent hoping he could turn out to be our own David Silva but the rest they say his history.

See. I know Silva is good and I have been watching him for years, since Valencia. Even in Silva's U17 and U20 days. However, there is something about him that leaves Guardiola marvelling at Silva's understanding of the game.

I am yet to decode it.

I will share if I decipher it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:36am On Dec 09, 2017
Mickael2:

this is one of the most baffling things on this thread. They say that if VicMo is played as a wingback it reduces his influence on the team and I am wondering, if it reduces his own particular influence but increases the efficiency of the team as a whole then who cares? Granted we may not have a devastating winger aside VicMo but a player who has scored over 30goals in a calendar year(Onyekuru) isn't really Jozy Altidore, besides if we use a wingback system with VicMo it means we'd only need two attackers afterall, I would change Iheanacho with a more potent striker and push Mikel to Ogu's position and replace him there with Iwobi and free up Onyekuru in Iwobi's former position and that's that. I believe VicMo can offer a lot more than any other fullback of ours can offer playing as the left wingback and since we have capable replacements, it's a possibility we should explore.

Barrister wetin you think? Cc Mujtahida
Omo, so blueto pass the scrutiny of your lab? Woowwwww. I dey enjoy una on this 3-5-2. You have taken it deeper. What if Mikel plays as a DM as you said and either one of Ndidi or Onazi sits on the bench that means Iwobi can slot into the AM and Iheanacho and any other attacker say Musa or Onyekuru can partner with him upfront but Onyekuru is still on the fringes of the team and has not had a game to show his quality.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:37am On Dec 09, 2017
Who's not allowing him perform? He's not the only one wanting to become world class so don't expect any babysitting for anyone. Akpeyi is being crucified for being shaky when in the SE uniform but does well at his club, no one has come to say what you're saying now for him.

This is no longer age grade football, this is grown up football, he should shape up, there are players within his age range doing wonders already in clubs everywhere.

Ball trapping should not be any top-flight footballer's problem. He should go and learn it.

Finito!
kennysville:

Oh by the way at bolded, that is what lack of confidence does to you. Have ever studied for an exam u previously failed, and you perfectly understood the topics while studying only to get into the exam and start fidgeting, anxious about what if you are wrong? What if you dont pass? Thats what happened to Iheanacho. Its not like he needs to learn how to trap balls. No. He only needs to calm down and tell himself he can do it. He doesnt need to learn how to dribble. I have seen him do that pre Guadiola. He just needs to believe it will work whenever he tries. But as we all know, when expectations of 25million pounds magnitude is placed on a player, there is no room for poor dribbles. Which i think is what is taking its toll on him. If there werent that pressure of estimated time of delivery, if allowed to be in his natural elements, he will perform. I rest my case

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:38am On Dec 09, 2017
Mujtahida:

We can argue RWB because by some stroke of luck we saw both of them against the same opposition and Ebuehi bested Shehu. So we need to see Ebuehi as a RB too before we can give opinions as to who the coach should start between Ebuehi and Shehu. Till then na RWB we go dey compare them.

Please let's reduce the hype on Ebuehi. Granted, he had a world class performance against Argentina,so did Ogbeche in friendlies leading up to the world cup.
Ebuehi should be allowed to come into his own at his pace. I believe Rohr understands this that's why he kept him off the firing line.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:41am On Dec 09, 2017
Nigeria and sentiments, I hope you know what happened to Jesus navas of this same man city? Sane was used to bench him until he had to run back to Sevilla. Same with Dzeko, bench almost finished him. It's not peculiar to iheanacho only, let's stop this bias meen. Football is business and no one is ready to babysit again. Perform and enjoy top-flight football, underperform and end up chopping bench.
kennysville:

Well my friend you are very right. However, i would like to point out that we all dont handle rejection very well. If you have lived in a family where favoritism is shown openly, you will understand that its not an easy thing to shrug off. Yes he should be a man. I do agree, but when you damage a child's confidence @ formative years, it has a way of lingering for long if not therapeutically dealt with. Some people dont like being shouted at, some dont even like being questioned. Some dont like public rebuke while some are used to being abused. Its all about one's type of personality. It takes the grace of God to handle things life throws at us.

I know someday we will hear the true about what went down from Iheanacho himself. But i doubt it would be any different from what happened to Etoo, Ibrahimovic and a host of others. Pep is a snake. You should watch Samuel Etoo's interview on youtube.

Anyways, like i said earlier, Iheanacho, you will blow whether they like it or not. Baldiola or not, Western influence or not. No one will stop you. Only believe. If you are reading this, believe it! Psalms 145 vs 14

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:41am On Dec 09, 2017
somehow:
Who's not allowing him perform? He's not the only one wanting to become world class so don't expect any babysitting for anyone. Akpeyi is being crucified for being shaky when in the SE uniform but does well at his club, no one has come to say what you're saying now for him.

This is no longer age grade football, this is grown up football, he should shape up, there are players within his age range doing wonders already in clubs everywhere.

Ball trapping should not be any top-flight footballer's problem. He should go and learn it.

Finito!
Lukaku doesn't know how to trap a ball either, and he has been playing longer than Kelechi. Let Lukaku also learn it

I don't care if Kelechi can trap a ball or not, I only care that he knows where the net is when he plays for us......

Y'all can resume with the argument grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:43am On Dec 09, 2017
CityJoe:

Be beating. I am more interested in learning. All this is because you were wrong in your position of Nsofor. Funny person.

I have seen defensive midfielders get more numbers than Nsofor managed all season for West Ham. 3 goals with zero assists is woeful by any standard.
It's laughable that West Ham decided not to renew the contract or extend the loan deal of their supposed 3goals, zero assist best player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 8:45am On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

Bro, David Silver had always being an unbelievable genius before Guardiola said so.

Even meself acknowledged it as soon as I saw him played in his first season at Man city. It was for this reason I followed Rabiu fom Sporting Lisbon to PSV, Celtic, Kilmarnock, Trencin and finally Gent hoping he could turn out to be our own David Silva but the rest they say his history.
"I remember when I was in Barcelona," Guardiola said. "The first or second year I was there, Unai Emery, who is now the PSG trainer, was there [at Valencia].

"After the game we spoke about that and he told me, 'David Silva is the player for you, for Barcelona. Believe me, that is a player for Barcelona by far'. And he was so right, he's a special player

"He has something more special than awards. Awards are to put in the wardrobe."The opinion we will have in the future about his career will not be about how many individual prizes he has won. It will be about the opinion of his team-mates and his managers."

What Guardiola is saying here is that, now he is working with David Silva, he can see that Unai Emery, current PSG manager was right about David Silva being up there with Xavi or Iniesta.

I am still watching.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:46am On Dec 09, 2017
Oliseh will be oliseh, he has always been like this during his football career and got to the peak of football, same is going to happen in coaching too. Everyone can't be same, he's not alone in this style, I listed names already who have ended up or still doing fine.

Mourinho can't outdo what he's done already, he has won what's there to be won in club football and all these happened when he was "arrogant, pushy etc".
junnyjake:

I said he's now mature and now less arrogant. And you said as a result he has become less successful than he was before, and I said he hasn't been a failure yet.

You get to a certain level in life and you say to your self, I'm done being a "mal parido, pandejo"

We are watching, let's see how far Oliseh's arrogance will get him.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 8:47am On Dec 09, 2017
goldfish80:

I have seen defensive midfielders get more numbers than Nsofor managed all season for West Ham. 3 goals with zero assists is woeful by any standard.
It's laughable that West Ham decided not to renew the contract or extend the loan deal of their supposed 3goals, zero assist best player.

You were wrong on Nsofor. You can move on.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:47am On Dec 09, 2017
somehow:
Nigeria and sentiments, I hope you know what happened to Jesus navas of this same man city? Sane was used to bench him until he had to run back to Sevilla. Same with Dzeko, bench almost finished him. It's not peculiar to iheanacho only, let's stop this bias meen. Football is business and no one is ready to babysit again. Perform and enjoy top-flight football, underperform and end up chopping bench.
you are talking of Dzeko and Navas....comparing them to Kelechi.
Your first fault is that they are not even his mate in age or football...so, how can they have the same reaction?

Your second fault is that you conveniently skipped where kennysville harped on how different we are as individuals and how one person reacts is different from how the other will. Our background goes a long way in determining how our adult life turns out.

It is not a one shoe fits all theory. If one person can handle rejection, someone else can't. There is a reason why some people go through depression and suicide when they face similar trials as others.

There is a reason why footballers have psychologists an therapists sometimes, your problem is that like most Nigerians, you can only see the world through one blurry lense...

Where were you when people were pitying Akpeyi here even as they yabbed him initially?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:50am On Dec 09, 2017
blueto:
I agree with the bolded, but as a right wing back.

Like Mujtahida said, we saw how well Ebuehi performed as a RWB and if you ask me I would also say that Aina would perform better than that. So now we have two good RWBs but on the leftside we have Idowu(no need counting Echejile he just isn't it at all), Idowu for me is not close to the best we can parade and we have all seen VicMo play as a wingback in some of our games with Echejile(well not clearly a LWB but something similar to that) which is why I want to put him there, ofcourse at RWB he is better than Aina and Ebuehi but I'd trust him to do a better job for the team as a LWB
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:53am On Dec 09, 2017
krattoss:
almost all the formations and analysis been portrayed here are nothing but mere fantasy from the person portraying it as its not even near what the manager thinks or what's currently on board... just like some people here realising their own worldcup list and preferable line up. ..isn't that fantasy and speculation. .
At the end of the day, @ the coach does what he likes and feel is good...
Everybody been forming pundit grin
Its actually fun thoor but its no different from beer parlour talk and draggings @ viewing centres and all that... grin
The truth is.....NONE OF THESE OPINIONS MATTER AS IT SOLELY ENDS HERE grin
So what should we do? Close the thread? You will be amazed at how many people will predict 98% of the WC list. And many have been spot on here with their analysis. What is done here is more like what soccer pundits do on tv, radio and social media and their punditry has become a money spinning, inextricable part of football. I can't watch a game of football without commentary and Pre-match, half time and post match analysis. And you know that the opinions of those pundits ends on the studio right? We might not be at their level but essentially what goes on here like you said is punditry. And do you know that most times as I am watching a game, I'm simultaneously on nairaland reading comments and analysis and I know many here do the same.
Free people abeg. Do you often go to beer parlours?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:54am On Dec 09, 2017
komekn:

I addressed the issue in the main and not your person.

It's an open forum if you don't want criticism constructive or otherwise dont comment.

So I will enjoin you to address the issues and not evade from it. Don't be so emotive.

On the other hand when Nigeria play England soon and very soon. I will buy you a drink not sure whether it will be at Wembley or Trafford Park yet. But the drinks are on me whatever the location.

In terms of football circle I probably know more Nigerian national coaches and full international players than you can imagine. If you recall or have forgotten too, I actually went to watch Etebo in Warri stadium. I do believe my circle is wide and not limited to just England although it's my main area of speciality without doubt.

Being here is light humour for me and sometimes interesting playful past time.

With regards to luck I do not believe I am lucky at all. I am a entirely blessed because it's unexplainable by rational. So I consider my network 100% absolutely the favour of God. That makes me humble. I'm now personalising the issue so you will not be so deeply offended. You probably never come across me or me you, but there is no intention to offend as you clearly are.

I love your response. Believe me this thread has provided me the platform enough to learn so many thing about relationship and live generally.

I would not have had the opportunity to interact with a lot of persons if I had not come here and also wish to meet face to face with most of you here.

Arguments become heated but those with true and strong character traits do not shy away from showing same when the occasion demands for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 8:55am On Dec 09, 2017
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Second and third trial yes. But Aina played as LWB against Argentina not LB. But I get your point because he played LB against Algeria. We need to see him on the right full back positions before we judge him conclusively. One of Aina/ Ebuehi will miss out.

I bet you, the two are going to World cup

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:57am On Dec 09, 2017
CityJoe:

You were wrong on Nsofor. You can move on.

Finito.
I admit, I was wrong to tag a 3 goals zero assist striker woeful.
I will align with your thoughts that he was dropped because of his nationality, probably tribe or religion.
It was bonkers to suggest his output was poor.
Let the court rise! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:03am On Dec 09, 2017
safarigirl:
oga, we have been doing this for four years now, by next year, it would be five years since some of us started these National Team threads

Do you know how we made it to over 2k pages? By doing these line-ups and formation guessing that you think is useless. Many times, our predictions have come good an probably very useful to someone you don't know could be reading.

We are not stupid children playing some idiotic game here....we are discussing the best team and formation for the Super Eagles and someone is reading

So, please, if you don't like it, just ignore or waka....we have tackled this previously and we are still doing it. So, allow us guess our formations and sieve our best possible team.

It is our own time and brain power we are using, and nobody has complained about it
I don't understand his queries oo. Speech always follows whatever man loves. It's love, it's passion, it's dream, hope, expectation that makes one talk and talk. It's nothing peculiar. Same goes on in Brazil, England, Japan. Fans talk and talk.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:03am On Dec 09, 2017
Mujtahida:

Omo, so blueto pass the scrutiny of your lab? Woowwwww. I dey enjoy una on this 3-5-2. You have taken it deeper. What if Mikel plays as a DM as you said and either one of Ndidi or Onazi sits on the bench that means Iwobi can slot into the AM and Iheanacho and any other attacker say Musa or Onyekuru can partner with him upfront but Onyekuru is still on the fringes of the team and has not had a game to show his quality.

I will explain why I am trying to fit Onyekuru in and not Ahmed Musa or anybody else.

There are teams you come up against and quick passes will not work, Iceland is a perfect example. You can stand infront of their backline and make 20 quick passes but those guys won't move until you come closer and you see that they will double up on each of your players what do you then do? You need quick dribblers. When you have a player who can just beat his immediate marker that creates room instantly and serious panic through the opposing teams rank(this is why I believe Iceland will be mincemeat for Argentina precisely). Now we don't have Messi but we have Onyekuru and Iwobi two guys who are nice(not great) dribblers and under normal circumstances we will place a CF who can pass the ball well and engage in your one-touch-two-go football, in that same way Onyekuru or Iwobi(depending on who is well-placed) can make those Alli-esque runs when the CF falls back and joins the passing triangles in the middle.

Against Croatia though is another thing entirely. We will have to adopt a system similar to Barcelona 2015. These guys midfield will kill us if we engage them so here we sacrifice midfield play for outright direct football. Rakitic is a briliant DMF when he plays there and someone said Kovacic hardly plays for Madrid, well that is because he is out injured, he recently returned and has already played a game for them, pure quality, no need saying much about Modric. There is another problem too, their midfielders all have wonderful shots so they should not be allowed to even come so close to our post which is why I wouldn't play Onazi. In this type of game we need direct players, once we get the ball we should take a maximum of 3-4 touches and get the ball to the forward players without dwelling on midfield play

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 9:04am On Dec 09, 2017
safarigirl:
Lukaku doesn't know how to trap a ball either, and he has been playing longer than Kelechi. Let Lukaku also learn it

I don't care if Kelechi can trap a ball or not, I only care that he knows where the net is when he plays for us......

Y'all can resume with the argument grin
seconded
like trapping ball will win us the world cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 9:08am On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
Everton's Lookman vows to seize opportunity vs. Liverpool play

Ademola Lookman has assured new Everton boss Sam Allardyce he is ready to seize any opportunity afforded him ahead of Sunday's Merseyside derby.

The 20-year-old winger staked his claim to be involved against Liverpool with a first-half brace in Cyprus on Thursday night, when a Toffees team led by Craig Shakespeare and Duncan Ferguson beat Apollon Limassol 3-0.

A long-standing medical appointment meant Allardyce had remained at home along with the bulk of the squad he will take to Anfield, but Lookman's impressive performance will have given him some food for thought over his possible role.

Lookman's double in Nicosia, the second of which was a sweet strike from distance, has imbued him with confidence prior to Everton's attempt to secure a first victory at Liverpool's ground since 1999.

"I believe in my ability; I know what I can do,'' said Lookman.

Ademola Lookman made a case to play in Sunday's matchup against rivals Liverpool. Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images
"It's always good to play and enjoy your football and I did that on Thursday, hopefully it showed.

"[The Liverpool game] is out of my control. I can only do what I do on the football pitch. Once I get my opportunity I will take it.''

It was the first time Lookman had scored for Everton since he netted four minutes into his debut 11 months earlier in a 4-0 win over Manchester City at Goodison Park.

Since then he has become a World Cup winner, as part of the victorious England Under-20s squad, with two of his colleagues in South Korea, Lewis Cook and Dominic Solanke, having recently received senior call-ups from Gareth Southgate.

Lookman harbours aspirations of doing likewise and is confident he can fulfil his potential having joined the Toffees from Charlton nearly a year ago.

"I have played with them for a couple of years and to see them doing that is nice; they deserve it,'' Lookman added of Cook and Solanke's senior recognition. "I don't see why I can't follow in their footsteps.

"It is a big club, Everton, and I am still learning, still young. With time I think everything will come.''

--KweseESPN
Is he indirectly saying he's waiting for England call up with the bolded?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:09am On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

I tell you my brother....
I will want ebuehi to be given a chance.
also a team selection where the 2nd 11 players is as good as the the first 11 players on the field.
It shows we have made progress when we have quality players who could have made Keshi's first eleven struggle for the bench in this present team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 9:10am On Dec 09, 2017
Icon4s:

Too late for him. He made the wrong choice.

So because Morocco is now a sellable brand he wants to jump ship

A lesson to Tammy Abraham and his likes.
I can't blame some of this guyz especially when we put ourselves in their shoes.. I just hope they exclude qualifying matches out of the competitive rule.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:11am On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

All you said is true. However, if Vicmo was not selfish in the second leg against Cameroon, we could have won with the match.

There was a particular moment out of few I can remember vividly he was supposed to pass rather than shot.

That particular moment was when he choosed to shot the ball in the box instead of passing the ball to Echiejile who was totally unmarked on the left side in the box.

I was personally pissed off with that his move. It is for this reason i want Echiejile in the WC squad because I noticed he sometimes sneaked into scoring position but he doesn't get the pass at the right time.
Yeah but most people exaggerate the point about selfishness. I believe our pin point passes will improve before the WC and Vicmo will go with the flow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 9:14am On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

what happened to Rabiu that caused him not to get there so that others can read and learn
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 09, 2017
Retracted

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:23am On Dec 09, 2017
goldfish80:

Please let's reduce the hype on Ebuehi. Granted, he had a world class performance against Argentina,so did Ogbeche in friendlies leading up to the world cup.
Ebuehi should be allowed to come into his own at his pace. I believe Rohr understands this that's why he kept him off the firing line.
I try as much as possible to be realistic in my analysis. If you go back and read I said 'he bested Shehu in THAT MATCH'. and I have opined before that he needs to be seen more before definitive statements are made about him. Everything is dependent on preparedness, timing and opportunity. What I do not understand is how in the face of his performance against Argentina we can opine that Shehu should play as RWB but nobody says that Aina should continue as LWB. so it's perception I am tackling. And you need to read me carefully if not you'd think I am supporting or hyping a player. For example it was argued that Ighalo was better than Martins. I challenged it because it didn't look like a valid assessment to me not necessarily because I support or don't support Martins. All I wanted was a valid accessment. Same thing now with Ebuehi. Moreover remember Vicmo is a standard RWB and might just play it for us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:31am On Dec 09, 2017
Mickael2:

I will explain why I am trying to fit Onyekuru in and not Ahmed Musa or anybody else.

There are teams you come up against and quick passes will not work, Iceland is a perfect example. You can stand infront of their backline and make 20 quick passes but those guys won't move until you come closer and you see that they will double up on each of your players what do you then do? You need quick dribblers. When you have a player who can just beat his immediate marker that creates room instantly and serious panic through the opposing teams rank(this is why I believe Iceland will be mincemeat for Argentina precisely). Now we don't have Messi but we have Onyekuru and Iwobi two guys who are nice(not great) dribblers and under normal circumstances we will place a CF who can pass the ball well and engage in your one-touch-two-go football, in that same way Onyekuru or Iwobi(depending on who is well-placed) can make those Alli-esque runs when the CF falls back and joins the passing triangles in the middle.

Against Croatia though is another thing entirely. We will have to adopt a system similar to Barcelona 2015. These guys midfield will kill us if we engage them so here we sacrifice midfield play for outright direct football. Rakitic is a briliant DMF when he plays there and someone said Kovacic hardly plays for Madrid, well that is because he is out injured, he recently returned and has already played a game for them, pure quality, no need saying much about Modric. There is another problem too, their midfielders all have wonderful shots so they should not be allowed to even come so close to our post which is why I wouldn't play Onazi. In this type of game we need direct players, once we get the ball we should take a maximum of 3-4 touches and get the ball to the forward players without dwelling on midfield play
Top notch analysis.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:34am On Dec 09, 2017
CityJoe:

So even when people criticise Osimhen's call-up, it might be this defensive attribute that draws Rohr's attention to him.

Your reasoning, diction and the structure of your write ups is almost identical to TheGoodJoe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:35am On Dec 09, 2017
enomakos:
seconded
like trapping ball will win us the world cup
But you forget that inability to trap can cost us even if not the WC but crucial games. It's not even debatable:he needs to work on his ball control. Kennysville has tried to analyse why he's dwindled in that regard. I like his encouraging tone. We all need encouragement but to say he doesn't need to work on it means you want to pet him into failure. Encourage him to work on it rather than excuse him. A footballer must have good ball control. It's a must. If you cannot control the ball, how can you determine what to do with it?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:40am On Dec 09, 2017
blueto:
You are right. Freedom is key. Let me use a biblical example to illustrate. The gospel of Grace teaches complete forgiveness of sins (past, present and future). It is the grace gospel that brings freedom to believers, because they can't be condemned by God anymore for their sins because Jesus have received their condemnation at the cross. So it is having that freedom that actually destroys the power of sin and its consequences in people's lives. This was why Apostle Paul was not very happy with the churches in Galatians during his time. The believers who after being saved by grace, went on to start keeping the law in order maintain their salvation, so Apostle Paul tried to make them understand that they were saved by grace (unmerited, undeserved and unearned favor) and they will remain saved by grace through believing in Christ and until Jesus comes and not by their ability to practice righteousness by keeping the law. He also warned that anybody that is still trying to do what the law commands in order to be made right with God have fallen away from God's grace and have been cut off from Christ (Galatians 5:4).

Under grace, God doesn't place expectations of righteousness from believers, he doesn't demand righteousness from them, he is satisfied with the finished work of Christ. That is why He only requires people to believe in Jesus in order to be declared everlastingly righteous in his sight (Romans 4:5, 10:4). So those who believe in Christ and still trying to earn their right standing with God have fallen away from God's grace. Apostle Paul adjured the churches in Galatians to enjoy their liberty in Christ and never entangle themselves again in the bondage that Christ have set them free (which is the law).

He expressed that he was shocked (marvelled) that people were already turning away from the gospel of the grace of Christ to a different gospel in his days.

“I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel” (Galatians 1:6 NKJV)

And if you read, verse 8 and 9 of same chapter, you will see that he delivered double curse on any preacher that preaches another gospel that opposes the gospel of Grace, and he said even if they are angels from heaven.

The reason why some Christians still struggle with sin is because they are still under the law. Some churches are still preaching the law and the Bible says “the strength of sin is the law.” (1Cor 15:56) When you promote the law as a preacher, you unwittingly or wittingly promote sin. What actually frees Christians to live Christ glorifying lives is the liberty that they enjoy in him, it is not the obligations and commandments. The Bible says the reason why sin will not have dominion over believers is because they are under grace, not under the obligations of the law (Romans 6:14). Under grace, a believer's righteousness is no dependent or determined by his obedience, works and self-righteousness. It is determined by the righteousness and obedience of Christ (Romans 5:19) and His finished work.

So my dear, freedom is very important in every sphere.
The psychology of grace and freedom explained.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:12am On Dec 09, 2017
Okay, they are not his age mates? Okay Sane, Sterling, Gabriel Jesus, Kevin de bruyne are around his age, these ones replaced the known names, are these one not performing? Do they have issues with trapping ball? First team football is business, EPL hardly forgives, infact most top leagues don't forgive slip ups, it's business and not a skill acquisition center, if you're lucky to be liked by a coach who is ready to cover for you, fine, if not, he ships you out or get you a seatbelt.

Salah, Lukaku, sturriage, mertens, bojan, Sandro, Moses etc suffered these same treatment and they went out to better themselves. Why are some of you so full of excuses for your liked players? Like he's being targeted because?

I don't have time for sentiments, I say things the way they are. BTW, which one is first fault, second fault? You kinda funny to think that way.

Football don't forgive school boy errors, let him work on himself (ball trapping) and see if he's going to be ignored by any serious coach. Who can ignore Moses, Salah, de bruyne, Sterling, lukaku, Ndidi now when they are performing to their ability?

Lastly, I repeat, club football is business and has got no time for sentiments or patience for players to learn the basics.
safarigirl:
you are talking of Dzeko and Navas....comparing them to Kelechi.
Your first fault is that they are not even his mate in age or football...so, how can they have the same reaction?

Your second fault is that you conveniently skipped where kennysville harped on how different we are as individuals and how one person reacts is different from how the other will. Our background goes a long way in determining how our adult life turns out.

It is not a one shoe fits all theory. If one person can handle rejection, someone else can't. There is a reason why some people go through depression and suicide when they face similar trials as others.

There is a reason why footballers have psychologists an therapists sometimes, your problem is that like most Nigerians, you can only see the world through one blurry lense...

Where were you when people were pitying Akpeyi here even as they yabbed him initially?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CityJoe: 10:18am On Dec 09, 2017
komekn:

Your reasoning, diction and the structure of your write ups is almost identical to TheGoodJoe.

Lol. It is me. My account got banned. This is an alternate. I will soon switch back to my old account.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2321) (2322) (2323) (2324) (2325) (2326) (2327) ... (16155) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), 12large1, joelsteron, dymusty86, chuks404, Philosopher1979, mank1234(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.