Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2352) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11687470 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2349) (2350) (2351) (2352) (2353) (2354) (2355) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:32am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

We drew first blood. Argentina are coming with vengeance especially. The Messi factor is huge. Rohr said it's a physical challenge against Iceland, a tactical challenge against Croatia and a challenge against Argentina. I don't know what a challenge against Argentina meant to him ooo but I dare say that against Argentina it would be a physical, tactical and psychological challenge all rolled into one. We should prepare to meet a different beast.

And we are down playing the goal keeping position.

Even Rohr has said he has a goal keeping crisis and is making all efforts to get back Enyeama.

Uzoho ba wo?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:32am On Dec 12, 2017
Kog45:
Do not worry we are winning the World Cup
gringrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:36am On Dec 12, 2017
elunico:
I have a question to ask. Is this the time to go about "looking for the best?" or is this the time for us to "bring out the best in what we already have?"

Kratoss, Kog45, Safarigirl, Mujtahida, TheGoodJoe, Komekn, Jihady, Icon4s, Icon79, Soetanoreoluwa, elyte89, Goke7, Jobie, Forgiveness, Somehow, goldfish80, Tbaba1234 + others who's got a thing to say.

for me, it's time for us to actually bring out the best in what we already have. For me compared to 2014, we have a stronger bench now. You can't call a bench that will have musa, etebo, ogu, ebuehi, aina even ihenacho [if Ighalo is used], simon [cos iwobi is ahead] a weak bench. Though we have very few areas of weakness but am too careful in looking for new players now. All in the name of looking for the best in 2014, players like azeez, uzoenyi, nwofor, ameobi, uchebo made the world cup team and still it looks as if we had no bench.

Rohr has done well in having a current pool of players I think he has not even finished exhausted. All I can say is we should be very careful and learn from our past mistakes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:37am On Dec 12, 2017
Magink:

Peterside said on the radio which I listened to on Lagos talks that the conversation he had with Enyeama was actually after that Oliseh incident occurred, so this report isn't recent but around last year.
Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 12, 2017
Look who first wished Vic Moses happy birthday undecided
Not even his club can remember today is his birthday. ..
Reminds me of yaha toure brawl with man city when they couldn't wish him ordinary birthday message on his birthday embarassed

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:40am On Dec 12, 2017
goldfish80:

Moses was dire in the game against Iran. He touched he ball just 13 times in his time on the pitch. He deservedly lost his place in the team afterwards.
I even forgot to add Mikel Obi himself didn't exactly cover himself in glory @ that world cup. He was as average as others, you may not want to admit it, but you can't prove me wrong.
It still makes the point that Keshi's team was average to say that Mikel and Moses were average. Only three players distinguished themselves a bit: Onazi, Babatunde and Enyeama.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:43am On Dec 12, 2017
Magink:

Peterside said on the radio which I listened to on Lagos talks that the conversation he had with Enyeama was actually after that Oliseh incident occurred, so this report isn't recent but around last year.

The truth is gradually coming out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:43am On Dec 12, 2017
Icon4s:

And we are down playing the goal keeping position.

Even Rohr has said he has a goal keeping crisis and is making all efforts to get back Enyeama.

Uzoho ba wo?
We have a crisis. If Enyeama doesn't return Uzoho will be the number one not Ezenwa or Akpeyi. Rohr has no confidence in those two guys. In the absence of Enyeama I see him sticking his head out by choosing Uzoho. That's what a crisis does. Drastic situations call for drastic measures.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:45am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

We have a crisis. If Enyeama doesn't return Uzoho will be the number one.

Mark my word Rohr would rather make Ezenwa number one in Enyeama's absence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:47am On Dec 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Experience!

That is one word some pretend is not important.

You want to make a 19years old inexperienced goalie your first choice to the FIFA world cup and feel cool with that?

We laboured hard to get this world cup ticket abeg.

truth be told we have a goal keeping crisis that we can't do much about. Ikeme's illness has truly opened our yansh wella. No wonder great sides always make they have at least two solid keepers any day any time which we normally do before as we have never had this too bad before.

For me I can't even bank on any keeper now even with Enyeama. I hope we would learn our lesson going forward cos it looks as if we retired some of our former keepers too early despite the fact that some of them are still active even signing up for clubs in recent times. We over relied on Ikeme and see what it has cost us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:47am On Dec 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Mark my word Rohr would rather make Ezenwa number one in Enyeama's absence.
My earlier statement has been modified. Not Ezenwa but Uzoho. Read his statements on Ezenwa even when Ezenwa performed well against Cameroon. He said Ezenwa is the second gk.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2017
Humility017:

so happy for him...
alhassan featured today too....for his club.
good to see good exports of this kind from npfl....

We also have to credit our coaches who have vastly improved. I expect more young players to make the jump to Europe this season with this same impact or even more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:50am On Dec 12, 2017
g0tze:
Super eagles sports fans, i am here to report to the house the childish and irresponsible behaviour of one of your own TheGoodJoe or Cityjoe. I have been his fan on this thread till he dabbled into some threads in the political section. His posts portrayed him as a full blown tribalist.
Anybody that knows TheGoodJoe should warned him to refrain from posting tribal comments on the political thread otherwise this once peaceful thread will become a theatre of war.
You must be a comedian...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:50am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

My earlier statement has been modified. Not Ezenwa but Uzoho. Read his statements on Ezenwa even when Ezenwa performed well against Cameroon. He said Ezenwa is the second gk.

Second to Akpeyi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:51am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

It still makes the point that Keshi's team was average to say that Mikel and Moses were average. Only three players distinguished themselves a bit: Onazi, Babatunde and Enyeama.

Babatunde Michael has been in oblivion since Onazi broke his arm with that power shot... the Argentine keeper was lucky cos TUNDE took the bullet for him .

dont forget majority of our players were not doing well . and we re lucky to have this crop of players now .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:53am On Dec 12, 2017
safarigirl:
Nogeruans are their own biggest enemies in these things

Anytime they say public vote, I just know Nigerians will not win
But how come Oshoala won the last time?
I think a lot of persons had difficulties voting.

Publicity was also a factor. It is not just about our population as a country or fans but the awareness, facilities and ease to carry out such an exercise.

Though M. Sallah would have still won but Moses Should have been his closest rival.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:57am On Dec 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Second to Akpeyi
And the dynamics have since become dire for both of them:Akpeyi's howler against Argentina, Ezenwa is very erratic. Uzoho has come into the frame and will take the first place. It's a crisis. That's what it does. Nigerians will not cry if Rohr fields Uzoho as number but they will panic if it's Ezenwa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:21am On Dec 12, 2017
Goke7:

truth be told we have a goal keeping crisis that we can't do much about. Ikeme's illness has truly opened our yansh wella. No wonder great sides always make they have at least two solid keepers any day any time which we normally do before as we have never had this too bad before.

For me I can't even bank on any keeper now even with Enyeama. I hope we would learn our lesson going forward cos it looks as if we retired some of our former keepers too early despite the fact that some of them are still active even signing up for clubs in recent times. We over relied on Ikeme and see what it has cost us.

Truth is even Carl Ikeme was not so reliable as even before he was diagnosed of Leukaemia he was mostly out injured which was why Akpeyi kept goal a number of times.

Akpeyi and Ezenwa are the real causes of this keeper crisis and not the Leukaemia that affected Ikeme.

The duo have been within the Super Eagles fold since the time of Keshi and Oliseh. Playing second or third fiddle to the top goalies then. Now this is a time for them to step in and we found out they have not learnt much.

Akpeyi is even more disappointing to me because he is the most exposed of all the goalkeepers in the squad. You need to see him in Chippa United colors.

Post Russia I would willingly want to push out the duo from the team completely but first we need to climb that huddle of a world cup. I have nothing personal against Uzoho but there is no way I would agree to making an inexperienced goalie a first choice. Second choice, third choice no wahala.

If u look at Ezenwa's down side it is easier to manage than Uzoho's and Akpeyi's down sides.
Ezenwa even despite his height disadvantage never conceded any goals from open play in his 4 games against big African oppositions. His problem of lack of composure can be worked on by the goalkeeper trainers. I have seen his best and his worst. We can work on his worst.

Uzoho's lack of experience is a major down side for him. I am not just talking about WC experience, I am talking about real competitive game experience. How can the goalkeeper trainers make up for that? The team psychologists may try to work on him but if probably he was a little older he may find the mental strength to pull through. That boy is still a teenager and may get overwhelmed with the responsibility. Being the goalkeeper of a side is a very huge responsibility. Taking a teenage goal keeper as your first choice, without a real competitive game experience, is a huge huge huge risk that if it back fires the coache's coaching certificate could be queried.

After the 2018 WC, as we play the AFCON qualifiers, we can boot out Ezenwa and Akpeyi and parade only Uzoho, Alampasu and Okoye if we like (which is still not likely because we still need at least an experienced goalie in the mix).

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:22am On Dec 12, 2017
Goke7:

so all the blame can't go to keshi alone then, we Nigerians piled up pressure on him to select some players which is what we are also doing now. This is what I keep saying, when things go wrong, we blame the coach forgetting that we also made input into the team selection.

This is why am too cautious on the way we are throwing up names of players who were never in the radar before. God help us o!
Exactly, trust Nigerians. If Ebuehi fumbles, God forbid. The manner Nigerians will turn on him will make you wonder if it wasn't the same Nigerians who are loosing their minds after his Argentina cameo.
Our people are so fickle and very forgetful.
The harsh weather conditions in the sub Sahara sometimes affect our emotions, in my opinion.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:22am On Dec 12, 2017
Goke7:

for me, it's time for us to actually bring out the best in what we already have. For me compared to 2014, we have a stronger bench now. You can't call a bench that will have musa, etebo, ogu, ebuehi, aina even ihenacho [if Ighalo is used], simon [cos iwobi is ahead] a weak bench. Though we have very few areas of weakness but am too careful in looking for new players now. All in the name of looking for the best in 2014, players like azeez, uzoenyi, nwofor, ameobi, uchebo made the world cup team and still it looks as if we had no bench.

Rohr has done well in having a current pool of players I think he has not even finished exhausted. All I can say is we should be very careful and learn from our past mistakes.
True t
talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:25am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

And the dynamics have since become dire for both of them:Akpeyi's howler against Argentina, Ezenwa is very erratic. Uzoho has come into the frame and will take the first place. It's a crisis. That's what it does. Nigerians will not cry if Rohr fields Uzoho as number but they will panic if it's Ezenwa.

But you made reference to after the Cameroon game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 10:30am On Dec 12, 2017
Croatia Coach : Nigeria Not A Typical African Team, They Have Mikel
allnigeriasoccer.com Dec 12, 2017 9:09 AM

Croatia national team coach Zlatko Dalić has admitted that their opening game against Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup is the most important match for them in Group D.
Zlatko Dalic was appointed Croatia coach following the sacking of Ante Cacic ahead of their crunch World Cup qualifier against Ukraine in October.

''Nigeria is not a typical African national team, they have Mikel as a captain and a young, powerful player,'' Dalic said to Istinom do gola, according to Sportske Novosti .

''They are fast, agile, will not be easy, but if the plan to go through we have to beat them.''

Assuming Croatia or Nigeria finish second in Group D, there is a huge probability that they will face one of the pre-tournament favorites in the form of France in the round of sixteen.

''I said already, it's not easy, but it could be harder. However, I say that the priority is to go to the second round, the knockout competition. If we do not get it, it would be a failure,'' added the 51-year-old coach.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:31am On Dec 12, 2017
Kog45:
The problem is guys don't rate this WAFU or CHAN of a thing cos nobody ever talked about four goals Ezenwa conceded against Ghana at WAFU so do not worry if the guy didn't mentioned the penalty he saved in CHAN qualifier.
At the WAFU final 2 out of his conceded goals were penalties. The defence that day was a goddamn banana
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:34am On Dec 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Kunle Odunlami, and Shehu Abdullahi were two major revelations from the 2014 CHAN.

Going into that WC Keshi already had his backline settled. Odunlami was a CB. But we already had Omeruo, Obaobona, Egwekwe and Yobo in the team, all CBs, carried over from the 2013 AFCON winning squad.
Odunlami's exceptional abilities could not be put aside an so a space was created for him at RB instead where we already had Efe Ambrose. He couldnt have displaced Ambrose and so was a back up RB.

Omeruo and Obaobona were in a form of their lives and they had built a very solid partnership right from the AFCON and no way Odunlami could have broken that partnership. Coaches rarely break a CB pairing especially if it is a partnership that has achieved results.

Just like it is not likely for any player to break the current Ekong-Balogun partnership baring any injuries.
Yes i know all these but just to let tbaba knows that Odunlami is good cos is like he put question mark on his inclusion.

I remember he played as RB in one more of the friendly and he was okay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 10:34am On Dec 12, 2017
allnigeriasoccer.com Dec 12, 2017 9:09 AM

Croatia national team coach Zlatko Dalić has admitted that their opening game against Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup is the most important match for them in Group D.
Zlatko Dalic was appointed Croatia coach following the sacking of Ante Cacic ahead of their crunch World Cup qualifier against Ukraine in October.

''Nigeria is not a typical African national team, they have Mikel as a captain and a young, powerful player,'' Dalic said to Istinom do gola, according to Sportske Novosti .

''They are fast, agile, will not be easy, but if the plan to go through we have to beat them.''

Assuming Croatia or Nigeria finish second in Group D, there is a huge probability that they will face one of the pre-tournament favorites in the form of France in the round of sixteen.

''I said already, it's not easy, but it could be harder. However, I say that the priority is to go to the second round, the knockout competition. If we do not get it, it would be a failure,'' added the 51-year-old coach.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 10:36am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

We drew first blood. Argentina are coming with vengeance especially. The Messi factor is huge. Rohr said it's a physical challenge against Iceland, a tactical challenge against Croatia and a challenge against Argentina. I don't know what a challenge against Argentina meant to him ooo but I dare say that against Argentina it would be a physical, tactical and psychological challenge all rolled into one. We should prepare to meet a different beast.

Bros i can tell you what a challenge means,

(Physical + psychological +tactical) challenge =Jumbo size challenge.
If you smoke am, nobody go tell you, na instant messaging.
Na match where the big masquerades go come out to dance, small men blokus go run enter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:40am On Dec 12, 2017
Odunayaw:
At the WAFU final 2 out of his conceded goals were penalties. The defence that day was a goddamn banana
My man am not blaming him.My point is that a lot don't rate his performance either positive or negative in WAFU or CHAN cos main focus is main super eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:43am On Dec 12, 2017
kentebemoney:

Bros i can tell you what a challenge means,

(Physical + psychological +tactical) challenge =Jumbo size challenge.
If you smoke am, nobody go tell you, na instant messaging.
Na match where the big masquerades go come out to dance, small men blokus go run enter.

That is why we need to get the needed points from our first two matches.

Argentina is always not easy for us to play at the WC. The only two times we have beaten them were friendlies.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:47am On Dec 12, 2017
Icon4s:

But you made reference to after the Cameroon game.
Yes. I am trying to make you see that if Rohr could say that Ezenwa is second after the Cameroun game when he did well, he'd still say Ezenwa is second not to Akpeyi this time but to Uzoho. Rohr has never trusted Ezenwa. If the situation forces him, he will choose Uzoho. That's how I see it though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:51am On Dec 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

I watched him in CHAN and he was decent. I did not mean to single him out but he was not WC level.
OK what of Egwueke cos i watched both at CHAN,Odunlami was the real man at back and made the tournament XI.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:53am On Dec 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Yes. I am trying to make you see that if Rohr could say that Ezenwa is second after the Cameroun game when he did well, he'd still say Ezenwa is second not to Akpeyi this time but to Uzoho. Rohr has never trusted Ezenwa. If the situation forces him, he will choose Uzoho. That's how I see it though.

Haha, time will tell.

Rohr has the final say. But I have made my points crystal clear.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:55am On Dec 12, 2017
Kog45:
OK what of Egwueke cos i watched both at CHAN,Odunlami was the real man at back and made the tournament XI.

Egwuekwe was already an integral part of the team and even featured at the 2013 confederations cup due to injury to Omeruo.

Coaches don't just hastily drop their players like that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2349) (2350) (2351) (2352) (2353) (2354) (2355) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, Truidstarr, Meliforme and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.