Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2414) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11698805 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2411) (2412) (2413) (2414) (2415) (2416) (2417) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 9:29pm On Dec 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

This makes me so angry.. Grown men with families begging to survive... It is so sad... This is why Nigeria players rush abroad..

This same Wike is paying millions to bring Real Madrid academy to PH.. Ridiculous..

why our league won't grow x because of stuff like dx. government would not want to drop these clubs from their hold cause it's an easy tool for scoring cheap points
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 9:33pm On Dec 20, 2017
Paul Clement, Swansea city coach has been sacked.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:41pm On Dec 20, 2017
Suraj Ayeleso, the keeper with the most clean sheets in the league has been invited to the CHAN team. 16 clean sheets for Nassarawa United.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 10:44pm On Dec 20, 2017
tbaba1234:
Ujah is back in Germany.. If he gets a few goals, he could be going to the WC...

That guy is not world cup quality!!! I'm not impressed by his game..who knows he could prove me wrong!!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:57pm On Dec 20, 2017
tbaba1234:
Suraj Ayeleso, the keeper with the most clean sheets in the league has been invited to the CHAN team. 16 clean sheets for Nassarawa United.

Good I hope Rohr can further extend the SE invitation to him as well. ..16 cleen sheets in a "Home team must win" league is never a joke!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:08pm On Dec 20, 2017
Magink:
Paul Clement, Swansea city coach has been sacked.

one would have think....that he will stay in that job forever...after siding wit the English FA to get Tammy rescind his decision to play for Nigeria....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:12pm On Dec 20, 2017
realpoacher:

Good I hope Rohr can further extend the SE invitation to him as well. ..16 cleen sheets in a "Home team must win" league is never a joke!
my brother...it baffles me on what criteria has ezenwa kept being invited...and also why is theseoutstanding goalie just being invited ?.......sometimes i wonder if alloy agu and yusuf know their left from their right.....

so all this while the poor boy have been sidelined for some aging domestic goalies who barely lived up to expectations..

you see the problem we are having in the goal keeping department is fueled by the indigenous assistant coaches who know not their job roles...especially that alloy agu...

I just pray they give this guys the opportunity to play during the CHAN

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 11:15pm On Dec 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The AFCON match may have been too far from where the Poland match is to be played.
We mustn't use same players, it's Sychelles for crying out loud, just a few key players can prosecute it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:15pm On Dec 20, 2017
Joebie:
I agree
bro....that guy wanna play for England....please let's save ourselves further embarrassment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 11:18pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

If Martins never deserved African best, don't you think he at least he deserved to be nominated for 2004/2005 season?

Abi can you explain why FIFA recognized Martins if thoroughly he did nothing?

Dong Shortlisted for FIFPro Young Player Award
China U-20 forward Dong Fangzhou has been shortlisted with some of the game's biggest names for the first FIFPro Young player of the Year award, which will be presented on September 19 in London.

FIFPro, the worldwide representative organization for professional players, released their shortlist of 12 names for the award on Thursday, which included the 20-year-old Chinese striker alongside Holland's Arjen Robben, Brazilian Robinho, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo, Freddy Adu of the United States and England's Wayne Rooney.

Dong was signed by English Premier League giants Manchester United from China Super League side Dalian Shide in a high-profile transfer last year. He spent last season at United's feeder club, Royal Antwerp, scoring six goals as they finished fourth in Belgium's second division.

Dong was also part of the China squad that finished second at the AFC Youth Championship in 2004, scoring the winner in his side's 1-0 victory against Qatar during the group stage.

FIFPro Young player of the Year award nominees:

Dong Fangzhou (China), Javier Mascherano (Argentina), Wayne Rooney (England), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Robinho (Brazil), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Rio Mavuba (France), Giorgio Chiellini (Italy), Obafemi Martins (Nigeria), Freddy Adu (United States).

(China Daily via FootballAsia.com August 22, 2005)

http://www1.china.org.cn/english/sports/139317.htm

Martins made the initial long list for 2005 APOTY but could not have made the Top 3.

Tell me which of Eto'o, Essien and Drogba you think he could displace as top 3 for that year?

He was nominated for the long list FIFPro Young footballer of the year, how do you want him to make final 3 ahead of Etoo, Drogba and Essien that were nominated in Top 30 in the world for senior category?

Eto'o and Drogba were among FIFA WPOTY Top 10 in 2005. Essien also made the initial shortlist and came 22nd in the world. Essien was also voted best player in French league for 2004/2005 season.

These are people you think should not make Africa's top 3 ahead of Martins in 2005?

My Naija people need to follow other players too. Football doesnt revolve around Nigerian players only.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:19pm On Dec 20, 2017
darkelf:

You're right bro

Just saw the name of one of the wonderkids you mentioned; Lukas Nmecha. Born to a Nigerian Father and a German Mother
yeah...they're very far from our reach....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:05am On Dec 21, 2017
we have started again.

Humility017:

bro....that guy wanna play for England....please let's save ourselves further embarrassment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:07am On Dec 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

I understand why you say that but his stats in Germany have not been bad. Perhaps, Nigeria does not know how to use him.
Stop mentioning that Guy's name here or I...

Are you his agent?? Take time o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:12am On Dec 21, 2017
Oga Jarus.. What's the title of this thread..

wait until we come to a European thread, then we can make that argument. This thread is to support Nigerian players. But that does not mean we should throw away logic. That said, the question remains, what should be the criteria for CAF. I made a list of 8 parameters. Until CAF is clear about this, and their criteria doesn't have to be dependent on FIFA's shortlist/criteria. The point is we need to be clear about ours.
Abi do we always have to wait for oyibo, before we know who is worth what? I repeat our shortlist don't have to be dependent on FIFA's. That's colonial mentality. We have to be clear about ours, then we can debate from there if it's a good criteria or not.
Jarus:

Martins made the initial long list for 2005 APOTY but could not have made the Top 3.

Tell me which of Eto'o, Essien and Drogba you think he could displace as top 3 for that year?

He was nominated for the long list FIFPro Young footballer of the year, how do you want him to make final 3 ahead of Etoo, Drogba and Essien that were nominated in Top 30 in the world for senior category?

Eto'o and Drogba were among FIFA WPOTY Top 10 in 2005. Essien also made the initial shortlist and came 22nd in the world. Essien was also voted best player in French league for 2004/2005 season.

These are people you think should not make Africa's top 3 ahead of Martins in 2005?

My Naija people need to follow other players too. Football doesnt revolve around Nigerian players only.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:13am On Dec 21, 2017
bengine:

I think it was mikel or iwobi
Iwobi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:29am On Dec 21, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Stop mentioning that Guy's name here or I...

Are you his agent?? Take time o!

Why? What is wrong with Ujah?

Personally, i am not a fan of his style but his consistent scoring record speaks for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 12:52am On Dec 21, 2017
Joebie:

wait until we come to a European thread, then we can make that argument. This thread is to support Nigerian players. But that does not mean we should throw away logic. That said, the question remains, what should be the criteria for CAF. I made a list of 8 parameters. Until CAF is clear about this, and their criteria doesn't have to be dependent on FIFA's shortlist/criteria. The point is we need to be clear about ours.
Abi do we always have to wait for oyibo, before we know who is worth what? I repeat our shortlist don't have to be dependent on FIFA's. That's colonial mentality. We have to be clear about ours, then we can debate from there if it's a good criteria or not.

I dont see any big deal in assessing player's performance. It is usually very glaring except for anyone with some nationalistic biases.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:03am On Dec 21, 2017
it's not soley on the players performance.
It's also about his impact on the team.
A player who performs well personally, but fails to win a trophy with his team, will have a less chance compared to one who ALSO wins a trophy with his team. What does that tell you? Stop basing it on a player's performance alone.

We can do a Messi vs Ronaldo, since that rivalry started and you will see that FIFA is not infallible.

Jarus:

I dont see any big deal in assessing player's performance. It is usually very glaring except for anyone with some nationalistic biases.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 1:22am On Dec 21, 2017
Joebie:
it's not soley on the players performance.
It's also about his impact on the team.
A player who performs well personally, but fails to win a trophy with his team, will have a less chance compared to one who ALSO wins a trophy with his team. What does that tell you? Stop basing it on a player's performance alone.

We can do a Messi vs Ronaldo, since that rivalry started and you will see that FIFA is not infallible.

FIFA publishes votes for WPOTY by country captains and coaches. Over 300 coaches and Captains around the world could not be wrong.

I dont know for other person, but I have never guessed wrong WPOTY in the last 10 years. It's usually very glaring.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:35am On Dec 21, 2017
Seifeddine Khaoui of Troyes (French)
Mouez Hassen of LB Châteauroux (French)
Élyes Skhiri of Montpellier (French)
Rani Khedira of FC Augsburg (German)

They have all declared for Tunisia in the run-up to the World cup.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:25am On Dec 21, 2017
Joebie:
I too want KC to succeed. In fact I have a soft spot for Manu’s 2013 eaglets.
But let’s not forget that KC was promising, Else he won’t have got a working permit to play in the EPL. And he started very brightly. I can’t wait to see him fulfill his full potential.
But comparing him to Salah is premature. It’s not a matter of what’s my opinion. Just learn to say it as it is sometimes, even when it involves your boy. You don’t like KC as a footballer more than I do

lemme give you a scenario.

If a teacher meets his student and tells him "when I was your age, I was a trouble maker like you".... Would you say that was premature?

Because the basis of my comparison is on the fact that Salah HAD a rough patch at his time and the same MAY be happening to KC. I am not saying KC is Salah, because obviously, Salah is older and has spent many more years in professional football.

I am only saying there is a POSSIBILTY that KC, LIKE Salah, could become an ace forward.

Just the same way I could use Moses as an example of a player that hasn't always had it rosy.

The idea is to SHOW that if one person could make it, surely, another person could. It is not saying " this person is as good as this other person currently"

The fact that I have to break down something so simple to anyone is befuddling.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:27am On Dec 21, 2017
e4macentz:
I don't think she's comparing.i think she's trying to say KC is having a bad spell just like salah did in Chelsea..
THANK YOU
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:30am On Dec 21, 2017
tbaba1234:
at least somebody is trying to make up for earlier oversights
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:39am On Dec 21, 2017
Joebie:

I don't understand this need to pattern everything we do like Europeans.

That is why African football will keep languishing in the abyss of world football. We have no system, we have no method in place, we just copy whatever the Europeans do and the worst thing is, ours is always the sloppy version. Like we are waiting for Europe to give us an APOTY.

Why must the APOTY always emerge from specific European leagues? In fact, if you are not in the top division of England, Germany or Italy, your chances of winning APOTY is low. I can't even mention France and Spain because I can't remember the last time those leagues produced a Top 3.

We should have our own way like the South Americans do instead of always waiting for BBC to tell us who we'll give CAF APOTY, someone is even worried we'll be the butt of jokes in world football if we don't give the award to one of the white Endorsed candidates.

Is it not disgraceful that we are the only continent with two categories of APOTY? Europe-based and Africa based. What rubbish is that?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:26am On Dec 21, 2017
You didn’t need to break it down. I had already understood with fewer words..

Modified
Let me add that you are now sounding less sentimental. I want to encourage you continue in this fine way.

safarigirl:
lemme give you a scenario.

If a teacher meets his student and tells him "when I was your age, I was a trouble maker like you".... Would you say that was premature?

Because the basis of my comparison is on the fact that Salah HAD a rough patch at his time and the same MAY be happening to KC. I am not saying KC is Salah, because obviously, Salah is older and has spent many more years in professional football.

I am only saying there is a POSSIBILTY that KC, LIKE Salah, could become an ace forward.

Just the same way I could use Moses as an example of a player that hasn't always had it rosy.

The idea is to SHOW that if one person could make it, surely, another person could. It is not saying " this person is as good as this other person currently"

The fact that I have to break down something so simple to anyone is befuddling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:28am On Dec 21, 2017
I’m sure u saw my response to him before ur epistle lol

safarigirl:
THANK YOU
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:33am On Dec 21, 2017
Lol..
How do we know that it is true that U have not guessed wrong? U have to be here in this thread long enough.

I don’t care where the coaches are from, as long as they are not angels voting.

Jarus:

FIFA publishes votes for WPOTY by country captains and coaches. Over 300 coaches and Captains around the world could not be wrong.

I dont know for other person, but I have never guessed wrong WPOTY in the last 10 years. It's usually very glaring.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:39am On Dec 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

Why? What is wrong with Ujah?

Personally, i am not a fan of his style but his consistent scoring record speaks for him.
is it the same ujah we are talking about? the guy that flopped at the confederations cup, like Joebie said he's at best average, he couldn't come up with 'wow' figures in China. we have enough average players in the squad already any other addition should be a better player than what we have or at least a young player who can improve with time. I'll rather we go with Martins instead of Ujah.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:42am On Dec 21, 2017
tbaba1234:
Seifeddine Khaoui of Troyes (French) Mouez Hassen of LB Châteauroux (French) Élyes Skhiri of Montpellier (French) Rani Khedira of FC Augsburg (German)
They have all declared for Tunisia in the run-up to the World cup.
is Rani Sami's brother?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 6:42am On Dec 21, 2017
I really have a soft spot for this guy, and I like him a lot, maybe because his story seems to be the one of those who you never expected what would happen. I support you all the way, so far his attitude, mentality and hard work is pleasing I just hope This guys agent is sensible enough to get him a loan deal even if it's against the club wishes he needs it to convince us, SE coaches and himself.

AFRICAN ALL STARS
I WANT TO PLAY IN THE WORLD CUP AND ENYEAMA IS MY IDOL, REVEALS FRANCIS UZOHO
Shina Oludare

The 19-year-old goalkeeping sensation would love to make his World Cup bow in Russia following his impressive debut against Argentina
As one of the most promising graduates to come out of the famed Aspire Academy, Francis Uzoho who now plays for Deportivo La Coruna is already being tipped for superstardom.
Born October 28, 1998, the goalkeeper represented Nigeria at the 2013 Fifa U17 World Cup – as a backup for Dele Alampasu.

When many thought he had gone into oblivion, Uzoho announced himself to the footballing world at just 18 keeping a clean slate in his LaLiga debut against Eibar. A month later, he made his senior international debut in Nigeria’s 4-2 defeat of Argentina in Krasnodar.
Despite his tender age, it will not be a surprise to learn, that Uzoho is a key figure in his Spanish topflight side. And ahead of his side’s clash with Celta Vigo, the youngster in a no holds barred interview with LaLiga talks about the Galician derby, the Nigeria national team and other issues.

Q: How would you describe the mood of the city ahead of Saturday’s Galician derby between Deportivo La Coruna and Celta Vigo?
U: The mood in the city is tensed, and everyone is excited and looking forward to the game.
Q: This is a big game, it’s a derby! What is the feeling like among the players?
U: Right now, I would say that the feeling is the same as every game really, although it is a different game altogether because it is a derby, the feeling is still the same. We are fine, we are ready and we feel the same way as against other teams.
Q: Celta Vigo are ahead of Deportivo La Coruna on Laliga table right now. Do you think Deportivo can win this game and of course claim the bragging rights at stake?
U: Of course I believe so. A derby game is not about where you are on the table, it is a different game altogether so I believe and I know that Deportivo will come out victorious on Saturday.
Q: What is your opinion on Celta Vigo as a club and their performance in the Spanish top flight this season?
U: Celta Vigo are a very good and big team, they have good players and more experience. And where they are in the league speaks a lot because they are in a very good position, not in a dangerous one. I feel they are playing good.
Q: You joined Deportivo from Aspire Academy, how will you describe LaLiga as a league and how would you describe the experience?
U: My experience in the league has been incredible. LaLiga is simply the best league in the world, the best players and biggest clubs are here and I’m excited to be a part of it.
Francis Uzoho

Q: Against Argentina, you made your international debut, played for 45 minutes and kept a clean sheet as Nigeria silence La Albiceleste. Do you see yourself getting a chance to represent Nigeria at the World Cup?
U: Of course, I believe if the coaches have confidence in me, and given the chance to play, I will play, and I will do my best in Russia.
Q: How far do you think Nigeria can go at the World Cup?
U: I think Nigeria can go very far because we have a very good team. The best I have seen in a while now from the Nigerian national team.
Q: How would you rate the chances of the other African teams participating at the World Cup next year?
U: Other teams in Africa also have good players and good teams. For example, Morocco did not concede any goal during the qualifiers and I think African countries are going to go very far this time in the World Cup.
Francis Uzoho

Q: Do you think an African country can ever win the World Cup?
U: Yes of course! An African team is going to win the World Cup. Maybe not now definitely, but I hope this time, Nigeria will make that dream come true for Africa.
Q: As a goalkeeper, who were your role models growing up?
Francis Uzoho: I admired Edwin Van der Sar, and Vincent Enyeama.

Article continues below
Q: And any message for your fans and fans of LaLiga all over Africa?
U: I want to thank my fans and I appreciate their support and I urge them to keep supporting, and to keep having faith in me. They should also keep watching LaLiga because it is the best league in the world.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:55am On Dec 21, 2017
jihday:
is Rani Sami's brother?

Yes, his younger brother..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:18am On Dec 21, 2017
Jarus:

I thought you said Obafemi Martins never did anything? grin

I only showed you that FIFA stuff to prove you wrong.

However, Martin's performance for 2004/2005 was better than Drogba and Essien combined yet he didn't make the top three. Why?

Drogba only scored 10 goals in the EPL that season and scored a total of 16 goals with just 6 assists yet he came second. Why?

Don't tell me he played for a bigger club than Martins because Inter Milan was a better club than Chelsea then, and don't tell me he won more trophies than Martins because Martins won both the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana.

Don't tell me Drogba won the league while Martins didn't win because Samuel Eto was crowned with APOTY award in 2003 and 2004 despite the fact that he just won Coppa del rey in 2002/2003 season and nothing with terrible middle table same Mallorca in 2003/2004 though he scored 22 goals..

What did Essien do than that season?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2411) (2412) (2413) (2414) (2415) (2416) (2417) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kentebemoney, maidaboi(m), vedaxcool(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.