Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2412) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11705879 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2409) (2410) (2411) (2412) (2413) (2414) (2415) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:19pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

Nash was a different beast to Jason Kidd, Isiah and Stockton. His numbers are pretty much identical to Magic Johnson's.
Nash is a history maker. We are talking about the highest free throw percentage in NBA history. A historic member of the 50-40-90 club. Only 2 players managed to achieve this shooting record, Larry Bird being the the other player.
It is worth mentioning Nash hit this record 4 times while Larry Bird managed to get those numbers twice. With Nash in your team, it's a given at least 7 players will hit double figures. The Sun were rampaging in attack like that even with Amare Stoudemire out injured in 06.
Nash was simply something out of the ordinary.

No doubt he was the best shooter out of the PG's u mentioned but that is not all being a "floor general" is about. Your primary duty is not to score but to get the team going. His MVP's were as a result of the Suns rampaging but they never even made an NBA finals. I am not trying to take away from Nash but u are making him sound like MJ or something.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:21pm On Dec 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

This is how a coach talks about his player publicly. Isaac Success is barely playing but the coach is not running him down

as a coach u don't talk to all ur players in the same way. Some might need to be cradled and some might need tough love.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:26pm On Dec 20, 2017
darkelf:

Yeah, isaiah Thomas of the bad boy pistons era. Stockton was so good that Gary Payton (a former defensive player of the year on the NBA nicknamed "the glove"wink remarked that he was more difficult to guard than the goat himself Michael Jordan

I don derail derail too much ooo. Abeg, make una forgive me .

How about Earvin "Magic" Johnson 6'9 point guard, 5x NBA champ, many see him as the real goat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 6:33pm On Dec 20, 2017
Icon79:
Bia, you ain't getting no Christmas present if you don't agree with me tongue

And by the way, I think that they should start using stats to award Ballon d'Or and all the other individual awards. That would eliminate the need for voting. Just assign points to everything, eg: 5 points for goals, 3 points for assists, tackles won 3 points, completed pass 2 points, etc etc.

What say ye to that suggestion??

O pari

Bad idea..... why? Only scorers will win.
Settle this by increasin the number of points for tackles won, decrease point for goals. You will see that Wilfred Ndidi will win one time. No questioms asked

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

Thanks Bro. I really don't want to, but it seems someone needs to call him to order. He's too quick to bash anyone that's having a contrary View(s) to his Opinion(s) or Belief.

I didn't know Jarus at all, but is it wrong for him to contribute on this Thread?! Saying he's being naive for presenting Facts and Features to backup his Argument is too Harsh!

This is not what I am arguing, you did nothing wrong when you corrected him, the basic point here is that there are some monikers who love using strong words, sometimes I even call them out for it but the point is don't let it linger, they say that a word is enough for the wise, just drop a word for them and let them learn from it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:39pm On Dec 20, 2017
For awards, offensive players are favored.. So unless we can produce the Ikpebas, Yekinis, Kanus, Amunekes ... we will struggle to win it.

Players like Ndidi, Moses need to add lots of goals and assists to get noticed.

If Iwobi can reach the next level with goals and assists, he can probably get there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

No doubt he was the best shooter out of the PG's u mentioned but that is not all being a "floor general" is about. Your primary duty is not to score but to get the team going. His MVP's were as a result of the Suns rampaging but they never even made an NBA finals. I am not trying to take away from Nash but u are making him sound like MJ or something.

Let's also not forget that Nash had a very big weakness too; his defense.

Nash lacked the footwork to guard more athletic PGs

In fact, according to NBA stats, the Suns defense improved after he left for LA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 6:56pm On Dec 20, 2017
tbaba1234 poyst=63436767:
Kelechi is not playing badly

My broda, He didn't play that bad but the coach body language on how man City scored the first goal wasn't good since he lost the ball in the midfield...I doubt he would really play KC again!!! KC need to make a loan move to play consistently during the transfer window to gain his confidence back b4 the world cup.. His confidence is starting to take a hit!!!

His first touch has always been his biggest undoing, wonder why he hasn't improve on it in the last 1year..he really needs special drills and game time to improve that aspect of his game..he doesn't have the strength to hold the ball against strong defenders, the only thing he can do is work on his first touch and movement making it impossible for a defender to constantly get the ball off you when he is backing the post..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:57pm On Dec 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

How about Earvin "Magic" Johnson 6'9 point guard, 5x NBA champ, many see him as the real goat.

Yeah, but the majority still go for MJ. I meant this dude that prevented many greats from ever getting a championship ring; Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Charles Malone, John stockton, etc

Besides, MJ was the only guard to win regular season MVP, play off MVP, finals MVP and Defensive player of the year in the same season.nwow, talk about greatness. And remember, he was only 6'6

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:01pm On Dec 20, 2017
bengine:

My broda, He didn't play that bad but the coach body language on how man City scored the first goal wasn't good since he lost the ball in the midfield...I doubt he would really play KC again!!! KC need to make a loan move to play consistently during the transfer window to gain his confidence back b4 the world cup.. His confidence is starting to take a hit!!!

His first touch has always been his biggest undoing, wonder why he hasn't improve on it in the last 1year..he really needs special drills and game time to improve that aspect of his game..he doesn't have the strength to hold the ball against strong defenders, the only thing he can do is work on his first touch and movement making it impossible for a defender to constantly get the ball off you when he is backing the post..

Yeah bro, you can say that again. Even if o ly the championship clubs (in the lower division) are ready to buy or loan him, its better. What we're after (and he should be too) is regular team football and constant improvement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:03pm On Dec 20, 2017
Icon79:
Oh really? Are you sure you want a piece of me? It ain't gonna be pretty, I can assure you that much

Listen, an Igbo adage says that: na nwata huru ogu egboro egbo na asi na ogu anatoka.

But if you really wanna see my red eyes then try to attack Safari.

O pari

O pari master, you pass this level na. grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:08pm On Dec 20, 2017
junnyjake:

Yeah, I've noticed that Wenger loves playing him in big matches.

Iwobi is a big game player!!! I wish he could dominate when playing lesser games!! He tends to step up whenever he plays a big team..

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 7:11pm On Dec 20, 2017
bengine:

His first touch has always been his biggest undoing, wonder why he hasn't improve on it in the last 1year..he really needs special drills and game time to improve that aspect of his game..he doesn't have the strength to hold the ball against strong defenders, the only thing he can do is work on his first touch and movement making it impossible for a defender to constantly get the ball off you when

he is backing the post..

If I was KC i wont take your advice, and its too early to move out yet, let him stay there and learn football, talent is good but practice is better, he is talented but now he needs to learn to improve.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 7:14pm On Dec 20, 2017
darkelf:

Yeah bro, you can say that again. Even if o ly the championship clubs (in the lower division) are ready to buy or loan him, its better. What we're after (and he should be too) is regular team football and constant improvement

Bro dont even think of championship cos he will be lost and forgotten, i see people playing in championship as very unfortunate and doesnt have the opportunity, how did players like vardy mahrez n kante played in the championship n no one noticed them??, it tells u that its tougher than u think, he KC needs to grab his opportunity.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:16pm On Dec 20, 2017
darkelf:

I would suggest going to Belgium or Netherlands top division on loan..he just need to be scoring lots of goals before the world cup to get his confidence back...

KC is very talented, when you have a tournament coming up, all he needs his is confidence, having that can-do spirit!!! It would go a long way to help naija at the world cup..

A talented player having high confidence can do A lot of unimaginable things on the field..that's all he needs now..after the world cup he can go back to slug it out at his club in England..we really need him active before the world cup..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:17pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

In 2010/2011 season, Odenwingie scored 15 goals with 9 assists and won EPL player of month two times, i say two times but he was not even considered for CAF award. Why? if it is not all about winning trophies but individual performance.

That same season Yaya Toure scored only 10 goals with just 7 assists yet he was crowned the best player in Africa, why?

To add salt to injury,the runner up Seydou Keita scored only 6 goals with 4 assists. what is the criteria used?

Adrew Ayew came 3rd and he managed to score 13 goals with 6 assists. Why was he nominated but Peter Odenwingie ignored?

I need cogent and precise explanation. Thanks

Isa Hayatou
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:18pm On Dec 20, 2017
sontoly:

Bro dont even think of championship cos he will be lost and forgotten, i see people playing in championship as very unfortunate and doesnt have the opportunity, how did players like vardy mahrez n kante played in the championship n no one noticed them??, it tells u that its tougher than u think, he KC needs to grab his opportunity.

Ok you have a point but with the little error he made yesterday and some impatient Leicester city fans calling for his head, I don't think Puel may want to field him anytime soon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 7:19pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Oga! I hope u do agree u were wrong before I continue to counter this ownow!? grin

However, we are talking about 2004/2005 season and not 2003/2004 season. Thank you. grin

Did Cameroun win the 2004 Nations cup? shocked grin
I don't know oooo. grin

Abi na 2002 carry over come 2004. shocked
lol, carry over from 2002.
They just wouldn't admit that these awards tilt towards the threshold of sentiments than anything else.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:22pm On Dec 20, 2017
sontoly:

If I was KC i wont take your advice, and its too early to move out yet, let him stay there and learn football, talent is good but practice is better, he is talented but now he needs to learn to improve.

We have a world cup in 6months bro..he needs to play actively!!! If there was no WC, I would have suggested he stay there..

You need to remember, no matter how much you learn, you need exam or a test to see how far you have learned...exams are like game time..the more game the better he gets at correcting some of his weakness, that doesn't mean he doesn't work on those weakness on the training ground. He needs game to give him confidence that he is perfecting some of his perceived weakness..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 7:24pm On Dec 20, 2017
korlahwarleh:
Let's stop arguing about the CAF selection joor. I'm a Liverpool fan but I think it should have been Moses, Aubumeyang and Salah in the final three.
Thank you jarry, Moses deserves top three no matter how we look at it, even if he doesn't win it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:25pm On Dec 20, 2017
Joebie:
OGN reports that NFF opens talks with Ryan Sanusi

He's a decent player, but I don't think we need him at the moment.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:25pm On Dec 20, 2017
I too want KC to succeed. In fact I have a soft spot for Manu’s 2013 eaglets.
But let’s not forget that KC was promising, Else he won’t have got a working permit to play in the EPL. And he started very brightly. I can’t wait to see him fulfill his full potential.
But comparing him to Salah is premature. It’s not a matter of what’s my opinion. Just learn to say it as it is sometimes, even when it involves your boy. You don’t like KC as a footballer more than I do

safarigirl:
if you think there is no basis, that is your personal opinion.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:27pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

We haven't managed to produce any real Super star player since Kanu/Okocha. It wasn't out of place to see foreigners purchase Nigerian player Jersey or merchandise.
The closet we came to produce one was Martins. Unfortunately his ill advised move to Newcastle robbed him that. He would gave been better off at Valentia, forming a deadly partnership with David Villa, mata and Silva, but he followed the money to Newcastle instead.

We can say same about Success.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:27pm On Dec 20, 2017
If Nwakali was called up to compete, definitely Ryan deserves it. They are both DMs
junnyjake:

He's a decent player, but I don't think we need him at the moment.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2017
bengine:

We have a world cup in 6months bro..he needs to play actively!!! If there was no WC, I would have suggested he stay there..

You need to remember, no matter how much you learn, you need exam or a test to see how far you have learned...exams are like game time..the more game the better he gets at correcting some of his weakness, that doesn't mean he doesn't work on those weakness on the training ground. He needs game to give him confidence that he is perfecting some of his perceived weakness..
Who even gave that pass that resulted to Idowu's goal which KC failed to trap?

It's obvious the "bench" is not doing him any good.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

In 2010/2011 season, Odenwingie scored 15 goals with 9 assists and won EPL player of month two times, i say two times but he was not even considered for CAF award. Why? if it is not all about winning trophies but individual performance.

That same season Yaya Toure scored only 10 goals with just 7 assists yet he was crowned the best player in Africa, why?

To add salt to injury,the runner up Seydou Keita scored only 6 goals with 4 assists. what is the criteria used?

Adrew Ayew came 3rd and he managed to score 13 goals with 6 assists. Why was he nominated but Peter Odenwingie ignored?

I need cogent and precise explanation. Thanks

God bless you my brother....
only God knows the criteria CAF use to arrive at the conclusion for who win the apothy...

I see some persons trooping in just to defend CAF loopsided selection of Africa best....trying to shift goal post just to defend CAF....I stop taking CAF serious in the year 2013 where mikel was snubbed for yaya toure who won nothing...not even for club and country.......

my only desire.....is for pinnick to talk out aiteo and other Nigeria companies sponsoring that apothy awards from the profits they made here in Nigeria....
that money should be use to fund our female football team....it will prove useful...

what's the need of funding such award and our players are been robbed of it in broad daylight even when they deserve the award....

caf my foot.......

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:59pm On Dec 20, 2017
True. But if you think about it, right now, only scorers are winning anyway ... at least 90% of the time. But I agree that for such a system to be fair to all players, the points assigned to goal scorers shouldn't be much higher than the other stats, especially since a vast majority of the goals are tap ins anyway (al a Cristiano Ronaldo grin). Maybe something like this:

Goals scored: 4 points
Tackles won in the final 3rd: 4 points
Completed dribbles: 3 points
Tackles won (elsewhere): 3 points
Penalties scored: 2 points
Aerial battles won: 2 points
Completed passes: 2 points etc etc.

O pari

kennysville:

Bad idea..... why? Only scorers will win.
Settle this by increasin the number of points for tackles won, decrease point for goals. You will see that Wilfred Ndidi will win one time. No questioms asked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:00pm On Dec 20, 2017
Bruh, it's my job sad
Someone needs to protect her from all the ruff playas we've got here grin

O pari

Mujtahida:

O pari master, you pass this level na. grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:01pm On Dec 20, 2017
So we re only playing Poland friendly in March abi upon all d permission we requested from CAF grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:04pm On Dec 20, 2017
While we r arguing the Cafe awards, the players of Rivers united protesting or should I say pleading with Rivers state governor to pay their entitlements since 2014 b4 Sharks and Dolphins were merged to become Rivers united. But this is bad from the governor to allow grown men lie flat and kneel and look comfortable with it despite the fact that they are asking for what's their right.

Poor image for our league. I personally don't mind if we v just 8 teams in the league so far they do things professionally including paying as at when due.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2017
elyte89:
So we re only playing Poland friendly in March abi upon all d permission we requested from CAF grin

The AFCON match may have been too far from where the Poland match is to be played.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2017
EEGA:
Who even gave that pass that resulted to Idowu's goal which KC failed to trap?

It's obvious the "bench" is not doing him any good.

I think it was mikel or iwobi

(1) (2) (3) ... (2409) (2410) (2411) (2412) (2413) (2414) (2415) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: yemyke001(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.