Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,547 members, 7,858,000 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 08:20 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2468) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11913324 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2465) (2466) (2467) (2468) (2469) (2470) (2471) ... (16322) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:33pm On Dec 27, 2017
goldfish80:

That's what it looks like when you take it on the face value of the qualifiers but seriously, does it not worry you one bit that our attackers haven't managed to score this season?
You must understand that teams have more than 9 months to figure us out , on the back of a solid 1 month camping , expect more sturdy and organized opponents . The dynamics are not the same.
Also,most of our attacking players (bar Musa and V.Moses) dont have big tournament experience with the Super Eagles, I wonder the reason for the optimism that these goal shy strikers (most don't even make their team bench anymore) will suddenly cake walk the world cup on the back of African WQ and a good half in a friendly game.
We need a reality check .
Sincerely
And all your point is that once Martins is brought we'd be goal happy abi?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Abegi, I know that is why you have been placing emphasis on Eguavoen versus Holland.

How many games did Jerome Shakponke play before then that you have concluded he was better than Mobi. It was just the friendly against Jamaica. A very easy game that we even drew 2-2. Jerome had a good game but every certified coach knows you don't throw away your regular player due to a single performance of a new player. Jamaica, Yugoslavia and Holland, were they on the same level?
We didn't play Jamaica enroute France 98. It was enroute 2002 we played Jamaica in London
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

Thanks for putting this positive word for Agu. He is the future of our midfield for those who have eyes to see.

His worth will be revealed at the world cup. For those of you slating iheanacho, please take a moment and also reflect on the fate of Islam slimani also at Leicester, who is also going through the Same thing iheanacho is going through. This is a player who was banging in goals for fun in Portugal last season.
Puel likes aggressive hard working players, unfortunately iheanacho does not fit that profile.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 5:51pm On Dec 27, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Chairman Enomakos, I salute you like a young German soldier. Longest time,sir.

Yes, between 1990 and 2000s they were floating between mid table and top but Julius berger was never a force just like Udoji and jasper never was. The argument was whether Julius Berger was one of the best club in the land and not whether they once won something nor were good.
OK I understand bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 27, 2017
My own opinion, but iheanachos move to Leicester was a huge error on his part and those of his advisors. His problem was IMPATIENCE. The great messi was a bench warmer at Barcelona between 2005-2007 under Frank Rijkaard when Ronaldinho, Xavi and upcoming iniesta held sway. Messi bidded his time watched and learned. The rest is history. My opinion ooo, but he should explore a loan option to Swansea, at least competition no too dey there. This is a world cup year ooooo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:00pm On Dec 27, 2017
Truidstar:
My own opinion, but iheanachos move to Leicester was a huge error on his part and those of his advisors. His problem was IMPATIENCE. The great messi was a bench warmer at Barcelona between 2005-2007 under Frank Rijkaard when Ronaldinho, Xavi and upcoming iniesta held sway. Messi bidded his time watched and learned. The rest is history. My opinion ooo, but he should explore a loan option to Swansea, at least competition no too dey there. This is a world cup year ooooo.

It was not impatience. He had better offers outside of England that might have suited him more. He chose to remain in England for passport reasons.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:03pm On Dec 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

We didn't play Jamaica enroute France 98. It was enroute 2002 we played Jamaica in London

OK. Which game then did Shakponke play before that Holland game because he didn't play against Yugoslavia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

We played Jamaica before France 98. Siasia and Yekini scored in the game. Although I can not recollect Yekini's goal. You need to see the hype before the game. Reggae boys this, Reggae boys that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

We played Jamaica before France 98. Siasia and Yekini scored in the game. Although I can not recollect Yekini's goal. You need to see the hype before the game. Reggae boys this, Reggae boys that.

Thank you. The game ended 2-2.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2017
Honestly I've just been laughing at all the orisirisi arguments.

Like everyone else I am concerned that apart from our china based strikers the rest of our european based forwards are not doing great club wise but what can we do nigeria is not a club side that can go out and buy players so we have to make due with what we have cuz no matter how you cut it apart from ighalo and martins non of our favorites is doing well so far this season.

Whether KC o, Iwobi o, awoniyi o, osimhen o, kayode o ati bebe lo. Thankfully rohr has so far built a good team not reliant on any individual player so I trust him to get us battle ready for the world cup.

Before I conclude this my post for the record so that we won't be mis informed again dominic solanke has not scored a single goal for liverpool this season anyone that disagrees should please post a link as evidence of the goal scored

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
comment by selbstgerechtein (U7048)

If Fellaini manages to convince Utd to give him £170k a week then they should send him to negotiate in the Middle East.

These Man United fans will not succeed in killing me with laugh.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
komekn:

Tega is an exceptional player he is a modern midfielder that has done away with unnecessary show boating and playing to the gallery.

Excellent vision as well.
the thing is...is he willing to play for the super eagles....?
we don't want another player that will give us Tammy treatment and use us draw up Southgate attention.....

I really do admire the lad...same with ejaria...
but I fear if those kids think and wanna play for Nigeria....

if you're convinced they don't mind play for us....let us know...we can start drum support for their call up....you never can tell where that gonna leads to
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 6:38pm On Dec 27, 2017
forgiveness:

Playing time in top European league and others factors.

Liverpool tried this season but failed and I think they were advised on what to do to get it.

Is Belgium really a top league??

Even Onazi with his time at Italy and Turkey, an established international was denied a permit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
forgiveness:

Why is Rohr still searching for a player in the mold of Mikel Obi?
Because of his influence on the pitch.
Mikel also takes some defensive responsibilities even while playing as a AMF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Thank you. The game ended 2-2.
Yes 2-2,this was a match James Obiorah showed a class but unfortunately he was dropped for no reason and even Siasia was dropped but we went to France for 98 with already injured Daniel Amokachie,the team was full of cabal of Atlanta 96 led by Sunday Olishe and the mafia continue till 2002 Afcon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 6:43pm On Dec 27, 2017
komekn:

A good number our players were playing in the creme de La creme of Europes top leagues.

Yekini was top goal scorer in the Portuguese league.

Amokachi was tearing it up in Belguim, Finidi, Kanu, Oliseh were Ajax products to mention a few.
so which players are tearing the top leagues in Europe that are yet to be invited in the SE

We need names to substitute for the current players and not just saying the present players are cutting it without giving us alternatives

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:43pm On Dec 27, 2017
komekn:

I can say this to you categorically Bournemouth and Brighton will not buy him and will not play him.

It would be even worse than Leicester.

West Ham possibly but I doubt it.
I remember some years back after his exploits in the under 17....

a friend of mine who was a Barcelona fan so addicted to Spanish football.....
told me...that if nancho is properly and well groomed he gonna challenge for world best in the future....

I beleived him abit reason because of nancho talent I saw during the cadet mundial....
he really made the wrong move....illetracy and ill counsellors are the worst things happening to our crop of talented players....

leaving england....from man city possibly to Germany or French... (monaco) would have been better for his career and can as well return to England....after some years then...he would have become a better player.....

I am so pained seeing him going through this...he is a promising young lad.....
his talents is never in doubt...you could see his performance for the super eagles....
against Luxemburg, Tanzania, Cameroon etc.......

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:44pm On Dec 27, 2017
Humility017:

we don't want another player that will give us Tammy treatment and use us draw up Southgate attention.....

if you're convinced they don't mind play for us....let us know...we can start drum support for their call up....you never can tell where that gonna leads to
My man that boy Onomah is good but as you said we don't want another Abraham treatment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2017
Humility017:

@Bolded,that's just it..
Are the likes of Onomah,Solanke, Lookmam,Ejaria,etc willing to play for the super eagles??
As in are they ready to commit their international future to Nigeria like Moses,Aina and Iwobi and not seeking to do a Tammy Abraham on us??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2017
forgiveness:

That is what you see when you are invited to the national team on a platter of gold without club performance.
when the one we rolled a red carpet for didn't come why won't he get it on a platter

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 6:47pm On Dec 27, 2017
forgiveness:

For Man city Iheanacho will score goals but sorry he can't for Liverpool because no tap in goals are available. grin

You have no idea how lame you sound. Pathetic!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:47pm On Dec 27, 2017
Van Dijk bid 'accepted'

The Telegraph reports Liverpool have had a staggering £75m big accepted for Virgil van Dijk. City had been linked with a move for the defender but the reports suggest he will move to Merseyside instead.

Wadafuq. I thought he was coming to City. Nice fight from Liverpool.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2017
Napoleon55:
that guy(Tammy) flushed his international career into toilet with just one sentence.
''they did tried to roll the red carpet''
what was he thinking,what pains me is the word ''they'',
he referred to the biggest black nation on earth as 'they''
OMG.
I really pity him ,in his youthful exuberance.
was he trying to tell us that he can speak grammar or what?
no respect just because he is an ordinary footballer,
can he invent?

you're right....he is very inexperienced.
merely keeping mute would have save him alot of troubles......

pinnick still don't mind try still work things out should he change his mind...but with that statement...not even the sport minister can help him.....

he better fist his eyes on England...because thats the country he has now...

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:53pm On Dec 27, 2017
Danielnino00:

@Bolded,that's just it..
Are the likes of Onomah,Solanke, Lookmam,Ejaria,etc willing to play for the super eagles??
As in are they ready to commit their international future to Nigeria like Moses,Aina and Iwobi and not seeking to do a Tammy Abraham on us??

I take sir komekn serious more than sir forgiveness who know nothing about this players and where their allegiance lies....

the latter delights in seeing Nigeria being embarrassed by these British lads.....

he don't mind draw up a list of players who don't even know that have Nigeria roots...for us to take to the world cup....

even when nff visits this players..
and try lure them.....he does not beleive in the reports....he rarely takes no for an answer and will still blame the football authorities should this players turned us down and belittle the super eagles.....

I asked him...sir komekn because I know...he is in direct contact wit some of this players....and probably mighy have had...a conversation wit them....regarding the possibility of playing for Nigeria....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2017
Kog45:
My man that boy Onomah is good but as you said we don't want another Abraham treatment.
yeah sure...I know.
he has a bright future too....not forget he is spurs player....

I will want rohr to try his luck codedly after the world cup......and let's see if he will desire play for us....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:06pm On Dec 27, 2017
krattoss:
Why won't some people agree the fact that kc has lost it this season??
Why always blaming manager for the dude downfall when it is crystal clear he has played more than 12 league games with no goal not assist to his name..

He may be going through his own tough patch ,he may improve as time goes on..

But why cant some people agree to the fact that as it stands now,as at this time , the dude is retrogressing instead of improving angry

he has played 12 league games with how many minutes please

Will you compare the 12 league game with Tammy's 10 league games without a goal?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:14pm On Dec 27, 2017
darkelf:

And as a passionate Liverpool fan, I'll say one thing

Solanke is overrated and may not be better than KC after all

I am also a passionate Liverpool fan. Na Celestine Babayaro and Mikel Obi carry me go Chelsea.

Look well again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:15pm On Dec 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

It was not impatience. He had better offers outside of England that might have suited him more. He chose to remain in England for passport reasons.
Honestly i don't know why guys were so hard on this young man Iheanacho,very unfair cos the criticism is damn too much and we need to be fair to balance things up and for those supporting the young man let take it cool cos we don't need to tag anyond as hater of super eagles coz of Iheanacho.

As icon4s said he was seeing Anti vs Pro Nacho which made the discussion watery and not educative for guys to learn from,Iheanacho will not be the first footballer to be in this position and the only way out is to continue working hard to make the team or look for another club that would give him playing time,nothing more.

Telling us he made the mistake going to Leicester is after thought cos 95% of us here were of the opinions that he should move from manchester city except thegoodjoe,so why castigating the young man.Do you guys think the young man is happy with the situation coz some think he is contented,forgetting he can't force himself out due to his contractual obligation with the club.The only way out is to have good talk with the coach on the way out.

Truly not having regular games will have negatives effect on his game at the WC cos this what affected Mikel at last WC and Nigeria suffered for it.It is not good having two great players in Iheanacho and Musa not making match day squad.

What i expect here are suggestions on the way out not trying to score point on Iheanacho challenges cos the young is down at the moment.I thought a lot should remember how we are always depress when having issues in our working place or schools,so the young man need our support and even all the super eagles players facing similar situation.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

If any it was Pep. Pelegrini openly told reporters that Iheanacho was a 10 not a 9.

Why did they play him as CF?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2017
goldfish80:

I don't have to be there on the training pitch. We saw him every match day.
We saw a guy who cannot outpace his markers, struggles to beat his man, poor first touch, poor with his back to goal, lack of aerial dominance, constantly isolated, poor footwork.... I can go on.

Some of us have the nerves to question the status quo.
Pelegrin's opinion is not bible

grin na so e suppose be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2017
Its good to stay on the sidelines sometimes

reading people's opinions can sometimes be fun. weird assertions, bias ones, objective ones, empty ones and out of touch ones too.

Very funny.

Make i continue with my reading.

BTW, guys abeg make una stop using my mention. i don tire!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:28pm On Dec 27, 2017
komekn:

I agree he could get him a starting berth with at least 10 championship clubs.

But it's not going to be easy, he is going to have to adapt and work very very hard. And they will expect results almost immediately.

KC has played quite a lot of games for the U23's at Leicester how many goals has he scored Is he the top goal scorer in Leicester U23 and or in the U23 league

So it will be a big test.

U sure he can survive in that league? I think France is better.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2465) (2466) (2467) (2468) (2469) (2470) (2471) ... (16322) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: spixytinxy(f), Amedino99(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.