Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,573 members, 7,820,059 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2490) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11699903 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2487) (2488) (2489) (2490) (2491) (2492) (2493) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:07pm On Dec 31, 2017
On this note, i wish everyone a happy new year in advance. sportzfam! Our future's bright. Yassssss!!(looks up to meet strong look 4rm pastor, smiles, adjusts collarless collar and joins in worship)

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:18pm On Dec 31, 2017
Danielnino00:
Its a few days to the end of the year...

Who is your Nigeria player of the year??

CC: Forgiveness, TheGoodJoe,Safarigirl,Komekn,Icon79, icon4s, Mujthida,Kog45,Goldfish,soetanoreoluwa,Mikeal2,elyte89, and other distinguished members of the thread

PS: You can add another player that's not on this list

This is a very difficult question ❓

In reality in terms of the world stage of club football. We really do not have any player that's been world top class outstanding.

I will use the SE and when the chips were down in crucial games, he stood out for me.

Therefore give it to V.Moses followed by Ighalo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:48pm On Dec 31, 2017
Happy new year to you guys (in advance)

Wishing you a successful and rewarding year

God bless you all

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:16pm On Dec 31, 2017
1. Most Controversial Poster

Forgiveness. Who else?

2. Most Interactive Poster

TheGoodJoe

3. Most Intelligent Poster

goldfish80

4. Most Resourceful Poster

Mujtahida

5. Most Respectful Poster

DaveP

6. Most Consistent Poster

Joebie

7. Most Positive Poster

tbaba1234

8. Best Sense of Humor

Taliban

9. Most Critical Poster

Komekn

10. Nicest Poster

junnyjake

11. Most Influential Poster

Kog45

12. Most Pro-Foreign Born Poster

Forgiveness

13. Most Pro-Naija League Poster

BascoVanVeli

14. People's Favourite

Safarigirl

15. Most Sentimental

Humility017

16. Notorious Silent Reader

Esose9

17. Impressive Thread Newbie

darkelf

18. Diehard Super Eagles Fan

edi287

19. Best Friends

komekn and forgiveness

20. Most Outstanding Poster

TheGoodJoe

21. Overall Best Poster

tbaba1234

22. Top Dramatic Topics

Iheanacho a flop.

23. The most respected

Icon4s

I'd add one more category. THE MOST UNDERRATED. And that to me is junnyjake.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:19pm On Dec 31, 2017
Napoleon55:

1.Most Controversial Poster
- FORGIVENESS
- JOEBIE
3. Most outstanding poster- ICON4S,THEGOODJOE,THESUPERNERD
4. the overall best poster- ICONS,THEGOODJOE
- ICON4s/KOG45
- FORGIVENESS
7. Most Positive Poster
- THEGOODJOE
8. Most Critical Poster
-KOMEKN
9. the most dramatical poster- FORGIVENESS,SAFARIGIR

10- the most influencial poster-ICON4S,TGEGOIDJOE,SAFARIGIRL
11. People's Favourite
- THEGOODJOE.
12. Best Friends
-FORGIVESS & KOMKN
13. Top Dramatic Topics
- IHEANACHO,INVITATION OF SOME PLAYERS like Martins and co.,FOREIGH BORN VS HOME,

my XI or top 10 is:
1-ICON4S
2-THEGOODJOE
3-GOLDFISH
4-SAFARIGIRL
5- AIGO7
6-THABA
7-THESUPEENERD
8- MUJTAHIDI
9- KOG45
10- FORGIVENESS
11-KOMEKN

subs:
BOSCOVANVELI,
TERZEERUMS,
ICON97(opari master),
NAPOLEON55
So what's up for the award winners
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:28pm On Dec 31, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
So what's up for the award winners

The recognition that comes with it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:37pm On Dec 31, 2017
elunico:

The recognition that comes with it.
That equals to nothing. bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:43pm On Dec 31, 2017
I wonder out loud if Man city could get Iheanacho back on loan.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:47pm On Dec 31, 2017
krattoss:
wengers confidence and trust on iwobi knows no bound. .

I hope it pays off
Judging by your words, the guy doesn't worth it. You might be right though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:06am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New year guys

Wishing you all the very best his year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:07am On Jan 01, 2018
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE,I WELCOME Y'ALL INTO THE YEAR OF NEW BEGINNINGS, 2018.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Judging by your words, the guy doesn't worth it. You might be right though.
the guy is a goood skillful player with nice footwalks..but the stats is against him..

no assists and goals to add to his games...

that's sadening u know..

but hey he is lucky u know why?

oezil is unsettled, he might be leaving in January. .
Sanchez too is also unsettled. ..
the only competition he got is dissentgrating Walcott and injury prone welbeck...so he ain't got much of competition. ..

but if he can't utilize his chances ..when the bench comes calling. .nobody should cry wolf. ..

Happy New year thoor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 12:50am On Jan 01, 2018
let me say HAPPY NEW YEAR. The world cup year, I wish the SE the best and to every poster here:

At last 2018,May All The Unfulfilled Dreams Of 2017 Be Fulfilled This Year,May Joy,blessings & Immensed Wealth Be Yours And Your Family. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
And don't 4get
Genuine success comes only to those who are ready for it. So never step back and always have courage to accept new challenges. Wishing you a very Happy New Year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:04am On Jan 01, 2018
Mujtahida:

My dear forumites I pray you all to read this expose I want to do: Well, forgiveness you just put out the fact that Eguavoen was playing in Belgium. That's deceptive and you know it. Let's take a deeper look at the condition of Fc kortrijk from 1990-1994 that Eguavoen was there: 1990/91 season they were fourth from the bottom of 18 teams in division one. 91/92 season they were 17 on the 18 team table and were relegated. 93/94 season they were still in relegation. He played two seasons in division one in a low ranking team and another two seasons in relegation. But through your romance filled eyes this is still better for you than famagusta that is topping the league in Cyprus and Ebuehi who is just two seasons in the Eredivise.

When I saw Iroha's wretched club stats I just shook my head at your deception or ignorance. Here are the facts people: Iroha was at Vitesse from 1992-1996.he played just 21 times for a period of 4 years. Verdict: correct benchwarmer. Meanwhile he had been playing professional football for seven years before this time. Yet he is one of our best LB till date. This shows that what matters most for us is what a player does in the Gwg

Oliseh was at RFC liege from 1990-1994, he played 75 matches and scored three goals. Now divide the number of weeks in the four years with 75.that would give you an indication of his regularity(in fact he was first playing for their u -19 side). As for his goals just 3. Yet you are comparing him with Ndidi who played for two years at Genk with 64 appearances and four goals and is barely a year at Leicester with 33 appearances and two goals (all Oliseh's facts are settled but Ndidi's are still unfolding but one can see who already has better stats. He didn't feature in those UEFA matches for RFC Liege.

Uche played for 9 years for Fernerbahce with 191 appearances and 19 goals. Quite solid.

1993-1995 at Anderlecht 14 matches no goals
From his Wikipedia page: After three seasons he was bought by giants R.S.C. Anderlecht, who won the league twice during his stay. Nwanu played very few matches; he retired after an unsuccessful spell in RKC Waalwijk..
Truly no verdict.

I wanted to run away from this our first champions league winner Finidi but I still checked:1993-96, 85 appearances 18 goals for Ajax. VicMo has been more of a journeyman. Hard to put his stats together for club. In any case he doesn't play offensively for Chelsea. But when I checked their stats for the Super Eagles I was shocked: Finidi played for the Eagles from 91-2002(11 years) played 62 times and scored 6 times. VicMo has 28 appearances with 10 goals from 2012 till date. I just weak

Amokachi is an outstanding average
player better than Ighalo and Nwakaeme. Seriously and I love him

We all love Rashidi. He is great. But by your standard and that of komekn, Rashidi who played just one season of first division football in Portugal will not smell Super Eagles team. Your adulation of him smacks of hypocrisy. It is we who insist that clubs should not be used to screen out good players whose adulation of him is authentic. You opposed Nwakali just because of his club. You would have jettisoned Rashidi for Ekoku since Ekoku was in a more fancy club.

Let us look at Siasia you have used to bullet Iheanacho. Siasia was at Lokeren for six years from 1987-1993. Played 151 times and scored 31 times. Now let's look at him at Nantes. He was there from 1993-1995. He played 44 times and scored 4 goals. Iheanacho played 46 times at City and scored 12 goals. So who has better stats? Moreover note that Siasia had been playing professional football for ten years as at the time of his stint with Nantes while Iheanacho is just two years in the game
In the gwg Siasia played from 1984-1999 that is 13 years, appeared 51 times with 16 goals. Iheanacho has played from 2015 for the Gwg 13 times with 8 goals and he has not done even half of Siasia's time in the team.
Verdict: out of respect for Siasia let me keep quiet.

I checked Amunike's stats and that of Musa. Amunike's stats is just a bit better. Amunike won APOTY at zamalek playing 71 times and scoring 26 goals from 91-94. Musa did not win APOTY yet look at his stats for CSKA Moscow:2012–16 125 appearances, 42 goals. This should tell us how low the level of football in Africa was as at 1993.

Bottom line is that the 94 set were not better both for club and country more than this set as such(yes they won an Afcon but remember 2013 we won Afcon) . We have not even talked about those in the 94 set who were not in the first 11 ooo. But in the end such comparisons are deceptive because one set is done and dusted. Another is still unfolding.

However we can all see that it's through the soft eyes of a blind lover that forgiveness and komekn looks at the 94 set. The reality shows a completely different picture when compared to this current set. What I think is that football has improved so much from that time(personally I still prefer the 90's football but then I recognise that football has improved) and that is why the 94 set looks so glorious (plus they won Afcon) and this set looks ordinary in the eyes of some.

Cc
For record sakes let me tag you guys.
Goodjoe, icon4s, Safarigirl, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, tbaba1234, joseph1013, AIG07

Mujtahida:

Amokachi was not tearing anything in Belgium. He joined super eagles while he was in ranchers bees of kaduna. He later went to Belgium. Siasia was warming the bench in Belgium. Kog45 has given a list of the club's the golden generation were playing in and they were all average players playing for average teams. Some were not even playing. They were permanent bench warmers. When i pointed it out to you the last time you said now is not 94 but here you are hyping amokachi. You guys hammering on the fact that our team is average don't understand what a team is all about. Its the same mentality that gets Nigerians hooked to certificates. We need a team with a winning mentality. That's all that matters. The story of the rabbit (stellar player/team) and the tortoise (average player/team) comes to mind.

If you acknowledged 4 ( Uche, Amuneke, Yekini & Amokachi) were great and not average out of the first 11 though I will still add Finidi George & Chidi Nwanu ( Second best African player in Belgium 1993) to make 6, then don't you think the bolded contradicts your assertion that 'they were all average playing for average teams?

Nevertheless, since, none of the monikers you mentioned disagreed to what you wrote about Ben Iroha, Emmanuel Amuneke and Finidi George then it is safe to say Taye Taiwo is better than Ben Iroha, David Alaba is better than Emmanuel Amuneke and Segun Odegbami is better Finidi George based on the stats you stated which i had had heated argument with some of these monikers that it is so. But then, they disagreed but you have done well to silent my critics with these piece of bitter truth with some facts. Kkkkkkk grin

I was the one that told them some players in the1980 set were better than the once in the 1994 set but they disagreed then. Now, dem don't nod head in agreement to what I said then that got me labeled..... grin

I hope none of them will come and start placing some players in the top 5 of the best players Nigeria ever produced both home and abroad. grin

Thank you. It was a good one.

However. I no wan fault some thinks for your post now hence I remain silent for now.

Happy new year to you all. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:05am On Jan 01, 2018
Hahaha! I don win award God win!!!!! grin[i][/i]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 1:21am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New year Guys..... grin grin grin

The 2018 we spoke so passionately about is here upon us.

The world year is here cheesy

Bring it on baby
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:28am On Jan 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
That equals to nothing. bro
you can make it something sir....
happy New year to you and everyone here... you made my 2017 memorable trust you to make 2018 the best... Love you all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:47am On Jan 01, 2018
Wishing every member of this thread a happy new year!

You guys have been one of source of joy this year(I mean it )... May we all be alive to witness many more years to come... And may this year bring good tidings for Nigeria football...

The countdown begins!!

12 Days to CHAN!
5 months to world cup!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:34am On Jan 01, 2018
It is finally here!

2018!!

Happy New year all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 2:43am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New Year family!

World Cup year... I can't wait...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:16am On Jan 01, 2018
Mujtahida:
We all love Rashidi. He is great. But by your standard and that of komekn, Rashidi who played just one season of first division football in Portugal will not smell Super Eagles team. Your adulation of him smacks of hypocrisy. It is we who insist that clubs should not be used to screen out good players whose adulation of him is authentic. You opposed Nwakali just because of his club. You would have jettisoned Rashidi for Ekoku since Ekoku was in a more fancy club.

Rashidi Yekini was a 3SC player btw 1982-84. It was the era 3SC and Enugu were the best in Nigeria and were in the top 2 best in Africa. It was the era players were chosen from our league because we don't have foreigners pros abroad and our league was very good. This explains why majority of players from these two teams dominated the 1980 Afcon winning team and because Yekini was in a team that won the league and reached the CAF champions league finals, he was called to play in 1984 AFCON. He was invited to the national team steadily based on his performance in another best league in Africa which was the best club in Ivory Coast. His performance there did not go unnoticed to had received another call up.

As you can see, he was playing for top clubs in one the best leagues in Africa before he got called and had played for Nigeria before he went to the 4th best league in the world where he was the 5th highest goal scorer in his first season.

Before he went to Victoria Setubal, he had already became the highest goal scorer in 1990 AFCON.

The point is, he was already an integral member of the team before he went to Portugal and even when he went there he proved he was not a fluke in his first season in a top flight league.

So, do not try to compare or justify Nwakali's invitation into SE because Nwakali has done nothing of note to distinguish himself even in that back water league which is not even in the top 20 leagues in Europe.

We have better players doing well than him in a better league. So, why do we ignore them for unknown or unproven Nwakali?

Performance, club or league are the criteria i use to pick a player.

Am I not the one clamouring for Sone Aluko? Why? He is a proven, tested and quality player.EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:29am On Jan 01, 2018
grin
Thank you brother.
Do I need to present an award speech?

Napoleon55:

1.Most Controversial Poster
- FORGIVENESS
- JOEBIE
3. Most outstanding poster- ICON4S,THEGOODJOE,THESUPERNERD
4. the overall best poster- ICONS,THEGOODJOE
- ICON4s/KOG45
- FORGIVENESS
7. Most Positive Poster
- THEGOODJOE
8. Most Critical Poster
-KOMEKN
9. the most dramatical poster- FORGIVENESS,SAFARIGIR

10- the most influencial poster-ICON4S,TGEGOIDJOE,SAFARIGIRL
11. People's Favourite
- THEGOODJOE.
12. Best Friends
-FORGIVESS & KOMKN
13. Top Dramatic Topics
- IHEANACHO,INVITATION OF SOME PLAYERS like Martins and co.,FOREIGH BORN VS HOME,

my XI or top 10 is:
1-ICON4S
2-THEGOODJOE
3-GOLDFISH
4-SAFARIGIRL
5- AIGO7
6-THABA
7-THESUPEENERD
8- MUJTAHIDI
9- KOG45
10- FORGIVENESS
11-KOMEKN

subs:
BOSCOVANVELI,
TERZEERUMS,
ICON97(opari master),
NAPOLEON55
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:31am On Jan 01, 2018
grin
You got me cracking up..
I'm humbled by the mentions.

zicky:
CATEGORIES
Sir Forgiveness

TheGoodjoe

Sir Joebie, icon4, Sir kog45

Sir Joebie

Sir Kog45

7. Most Positive Poster
jobie

8. Best Sense of Humor
Sir elyte

9. Most Critical Poster
mickeal2

10. Nicest Poster

Sir Icon4s

Forgiveness and komken(english born)

Goldenfish80

14. People's Favourite
safarigirl

15. Most Sentimental
Safarigirl

19. Best Friends
supernerd and safarigirl(then)

thegoodjoe

21. Overall Best Poster
The goodjoe

22. Top Dramatic Topics nacho,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:32am On Jan 01, 2018
I've not been consistent for a long while now. but I receive the award with open arms.
Thanks my brother!

elunico:

Forgiveness. Who else?

TheGoodJoe

goldfish80

Mujtahida

DaveP

Joebie

7. Most Positive Poster

tbaba1234

8. Best Sense of Humor

Taliban

9. Most Critical Poster

Komekn

10. Nicest Poster

junnyjake

Kog45

Forgiveness

BascoVanVeli

14. People's Favourite

Safarigirl

15. Most Sentimental

Humility017

Esose9

darkelf

edi287

19. Best Friends

komekn and forgiveness

TheGoodJoe

21. Overall Best Poster

tbaba1234

22. Top Dramatic Topics

Iheanacho a flop.

23. The most respected

Icon4s

I'd add one more category. THE MOST UNDERRATED. And that to me is junnyjake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:41am On Jan 01, 2018
Hmm not going to be easy in some categories. But let me try the ones I can

CATEGORIES
: Forgiveness (we all know why)
: TheGoodJoe (He can reply your single post with double responses)
: TheSuperNerd ( Smart posts that when in an argument with him you need to get all ur facts straight else....)
: Joebie ( It is as if he goes even into the Eagles camp to get us updates)
: Kog45( No matter how young or old or wise or foolish you may sound he respects your opinion)
: Tbaba1234( He is ever present to chip in those his thoughtful 2-3 lines of comments)
7. Most Positive Poster
: Tbaba1234 ( Has a way of hoping almost every player comes out good)
8. Best Sense of Humor
: Blueto ( He no go kill person with his "ogbonge" grammar.
9. Most Critical Poster
: Goldfish80 ( Hardly in agreement with anybody. He can criticise even himself)
10. Nicest Poster: Confun (Though she been away for sometime. We have missed her words of comfort)
:
11. Most Influential Poster: Joseph1013 and Terzurum5 ( For creating and being like mods to this thread)
: Komekn( They have to be the Borough born or they are below average)
: Danycrusoe ( he even gives updates of remote matches played in the NNL)
14. People's Favourite
: Safarigirl ( Queen of the thread, Land lady of the house, First Lady)
15. Most Sentimental: TheGoodJoe (Once he chooses a player to be his attorney that player can never step a foot wrong)
: Petrobros ( Doesn't make comments much but usually pops his head when he cannot hold back again)
: Everyone on this thread
19. Best Friends
: Safarigirl and TheGoodJoe (They are always on the same side of an argument)
: Safarigirl( I would always want to read her comments)
21. Overall Best Poster
:
This category should go to the moniker that wins the most awards here. If there is a tie we can then vote.
22. Top Dramatic Topics
: Iheanacho, Mikel, combining football and education, Pro and AntiMartins
23. Honourable Mention: I, by the power vested on me by this thread, unanimously give this category to THESUPERNERD. Whoever does not accept should go and report to Buhari. tongue

Any other categories I'm missing?

24. Most rival debaters: TheGoodJoe vs Goldfish80 ( They have never agreed on any single topic. They can even argue whether Russia is hosting the WC or not)
25. Most information from the archives: Kog45 ( He got loads of info from the archives)

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:42am On Jan 01, 2018
Humility017:

you can make it something sir....

happy New year to you and everyone here...
you made my 2017 memorable trust you to make 2018 the best...
Love you all
I pray our dear Super Eagles beat Poland to gift us a new year's present.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:23am On Jan 01, 2018
daveP:

CATEGORIES
1. Most Controversial Poster-Mickael2, forgiveness
2. Most Interactive Poster-Mujtahida, Joebie
3. Most Intelligent Poster-Icon4s abi na 79?
4. Most Resourceful Poster-Thegoodjoe
5. Most Respectful Poster-aig07, mujtahida
6. Most Consistent Poster-icon79
7. Most Positive Poster-thegoodjoe
7. Best Sense of Humor- (if na by dis smiley grin usage, i go win am.) thesupernerd!!
8. Most Critical Poster-Forgiveness
9. Nicest Poster-thesupernerd
10. Most Influential Poster-tbaba1234, Joebie.
11. People's Favourite-icon79
12. Best Friends-
13. Top Dramatic Topics-Nacho-matics, who be world class4 SE?, benchwarmers assoc of europe, set 94 vs 17, Sokari-tics, Whoscored stats vs reality. Tammy denies, Old things are passed away, Mikel-ogy.
14. Honourable Mention: tbaba1234, terzurum5, thesupernerd. danycrusoe,safarigirl, kog45, mujtahida, joebie.

I hope you are not getting my moniker mixed up?

Icon4s and 79 are two different people o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:10am On Jan 01, 2018
neighy:
polls i can help with that...
you mean here on Nairaland?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:30am On Jan 01, 2018
forgiveness:
Hahaha! I don win award God win!!!!! grin[i][/i]
Interesting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:07am On Jan 01, 2018
Kog45:
My man you are still on this matter.Well let me add this cos you want to hear my view.

Honestly i don't want to talk on it again,everyone to his opinion and we must respect it but if simple discussion is leading to a stage as if we want to win WC i put stop to it and move on but due to respect i have for you let me chip in some words.

Pls i need to make some clarifications here and it will take a very intelligent and unbiased minds to understand my very simple point related to 94 set and present team.

I don't compare the two teams cos it's not yet time even i still rate Keshi 2013/14 team ahead of this present team based on their achievement but that does not mean i should ridicule Rohr team,they are just evolving so need for comparison.

On US 94 have made my comments and i still stand by it that the team was full of average players but as a team they look solid which we all saw at Afcon and US 94.

I don't think there is need for me to go to archives and be digging things out cos i followed the team passionately during Westerhoff era(89-94)it all started in Yaoundé against Cameroon and ended with Italy in US 94.

I folliwed the development of the players,how they are faring in their club sides especially Peter Rufai since Afcon 1984,Samson Siasia which i rate highly since 1985 U 20 WC in Moscow,Stephen Keshi who i followed since Libya 82,Rashidi Yekini since shooting star days,Austin Okocha since Mauritius 93,Mutiu Adepoju since Saudi 89 qualifiers played in Adamasigha stadium, Amokachie at Ranchers Bees due to my love for their Argentine coach Dominiques,i followed Amuneke since cairo 91 and i had great relationship with Mutiu Adepoju,Jayjay Okocha,Tijani Babangida through a friend,i remember telling icon4s that Tijani was taken to US 94 as a standby player even Ikpeba was nearly dropped for him.To cap it all i handled Clemens Westerhoff utilities and we do talk if he get the chance before he left Nigeria.

I'm saying this for you to know that i should be biased but i will not cos we need to put the record straight and not to run the present team down cos some certain players are not in the team.I should be here shouting Dele Aiyenugba up and down due to our close relationship,i was involved in his first professional contract as a player with Kwara star before moving to Enyimba and he still see me as a senior.Taiwo Awoniyi is like a son,Obafemi Martins a great pal to me through my junior cousin whom they shared the same agent in person of Churchill Olishe but have never come here to solicit for their inclusion in the team.

I don't think there is need to patch things up to express my opinions.It's my opinion based on what I know not based on oral history or secondary source.

Pls check this out

1.Peter Rufai. was a bench warmer with Go Ahead Eagles and later released before WC

2.Ben Iroha made just 21 appearance between 92-96 for Vitesse Arhemm

3.Austin Eguavoen couldn't tie a regular shirt with Kortrijk prior to WC and was released after WC.

4.Chidi Nwanu truly second African best in in 92/93 season with SK Beveren but got mid season transfered to Anderlecht and played just 9 games for Anderlecht prior to WC.later made additional 5 games and was released too

5.Samson Siasia was warming the bench throughout his stay at Nantes sitting down for Chad boy Japhet Ndoram and Patrice Loko.

6.Mike Emenalo was a non league player just like Sunday Sunday game prior to WC

7.Emeka Ezeugo a India based player who later joined Lyngy in Denmark

8.Uche Okafor who joined Hannover 96 in division two but always on the bench

9.Thompson Oliha playing for African Sports after moving from Asec memossa.

10.Efan Ekoku solid at Norwich but a misfit in Eagles.

11.Victor Ikpeba not regular with Monaco 93/94

12.Austin Okocha in and out of Frankfurt
Germany
13.Alloy Agu second choice in his Turkish club

14.Stephen Keshi already passed his prime at molenbeek.

15.Wilfred Agbonavbare good in his club Rayo Vallecano but second choice in the ational team.
[b]
I need to leave out Rashidi Yekini who was then reigning APOTY and solid with Vitoria Setubal,Sunday Olishe great form before WC,Mutiu Adepoju regular with Santander,Finidi George great with Ajax,Dan Amokachie superb with FC Brugge,Uche Okechucwu regular with Fernabache nd Emma Amuneke solid with Zamalek,meaning we have just solid 7 regular players in US 94 squad leaving out Oliha,Ekoku cos they don't look solid in eagles.

Pls rate this players for God sake based on their performance in 93/94 a season before US 94 World Cup.Honestly it was cos of this i appreciate their performance at US 94 so why not give Rohr team a chance and let see what [/b]they can do instead of unnecessary comparison.

The bolded had just put to rest your earlier assertion that we only had average players and you even went to that lenght to prove it by recognizing that only two players were not average in the first eleven.

But now you have suddenly changed mouth that 7 players were outstanding prior to the WC and to add salt to injury 5 of them were in the first eleven . Even Nwanu who was on your list of outstanding in the first 11 suddenly didn't make your list. grin

For someone who followed Nigerian football in that era to call foreign pros benchwarmer in an era anyone playing outside the shores of Nigeria were considered better. I am talking about late 80s when people started watching European champions league because of Stephen Keshi who was one of our best players in the Super Eagles before he even left for Abidjan and latter went to Belgium because he was banned from the Nigerian league. That was when Nigerians who were never interested in watching European leagues from 40s till lipsrsealed when people started watching the European league in the late late 80s because of Keshi. They were earlier preoccupied with the bitter competitions that went on among the clubs in that glorious era of Nigerian league.

Those players were the best in our league before they went to Europe and many of them were part of the 1990 and 1992 set that got to thefinals of AFCON.

Many of them even went straight into the first team of those European clubs and played regularly for 3- 4 seasons till 1993.

That is why I have never really spoken against the inclusion of Ahmed Musa because he has been tested and has been with the team for long. So, we know what he brings to the table.

Therefore, those players in the 1994 team case is not different from Ahmed Musa because they had experienced good football in a better Nigerian league, AFCON tournament and the Belgium league or other leagues for years before 1994 AFCON. And it was due for these reasons dey couldn't be dropped because of one season record.

So, how can we compare these players with Chidiebere Nwakali , Taiwo Awoniyi and Kelechi Iheanacho who have done nothing exceptional both in national team and in their club?

I do not even know what brought up the comparison in the first place.

However, thee is never a place I tagged the whole players average in the current team but my only problem is neglecting a better player playing regularly in a better league for a bench warmer in an obscure leagues. Simply.

Nevertheless, Sir, I wish you a happy new year.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:26am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new year family special shoutout to you Super Nerd regards to you and yours Doc smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 10:31am On Jan 01, 2018
And The Argument Continues grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2487) (2488) (2489) (2490) (2491) (2492) (2493) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m), Hanibal(m), PDPGuy and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.