Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2492) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11704853 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2489) (2490) (2491) (2492) (2493) (2494) (2495) ... (16160) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:10pm On Jan 01, 2018
Victor Moses' resolution (not that I'm a big resolutions for new year fan but I think this says something) for 2018 reads

To keep pushing.....

In the light of his omission from the CAF APOTY final three and his failure to get into the CAF team of the year 2017 and also his failure to land the BBC APOTY, I think he really needs to keep pushing.

He was awarded as Goal international's Africa Player of the year 2017 and also made the Goal Africa Team of the Year 2017.

Victor Moses made the CAF team of the round in World cup qualifying about three times out of the six round of matches. He had a great year no doubt for both club and country but CAF thinks otherwise. *shrugs*

Salah and Mane deserve their plaudits though. And for Goals sake, Auba will always get a mention. Well, wish Victor Moses a better and more fulfilling 2018.

He should keep pushing indeed

#SoarSuperEagles

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 1:12pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new year guys , my wish is for us all to smile in Russia also achieve every good things of life in all our personal endeavour... I LOVE YOU ALL .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:16pm On Jan 01, 2018
Icon4s:

Haha

I am not like all those that make calls based on what they hear, read or what they see a fan say.

Junior Ajayi participated fully in the just concluded CAF champions league. I watched a couple of his games. He is a more improved player than what we saw at U23.

Apart from the Fans voted award his CAF awards nomination speaks volumes.

Also I personally rate the Egyptian league higher than the Israeli league. What is the level of football development in Israel compared to Egypt?

U think say na like Sokari own?

Let me ask you, if Sokari na pure gold, wetin you go call Junior Ajayi?

I told u that I watched Sokari in the CAF Confed cup and u scoffed at me, so what makes u watching Ajayi score 1 goal in the whole of the CAF Champions league so special? U don't have to explain to me because I know Junior has long been ur 'boy'. I don't deal on favoritism, I trust my judgment and no amount of ridicule will ever affect what I think and say, so yes Sokari was pure gold during the matches I saw him in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:17pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd! Good to see you back.

I knew you'd be back when you're ready. wink

I'm sure you know that there will still be personal differences, however everyone on the thread has been tasked with watching one another's back in cases of unnecessary personal attacks and calling them out as often as they are spotted.

You can see we have a richer house. 2018 will be interesting.

#BuckleUp

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Victor Moses' resolution for 2018 reads

To keep pushing.....

In the light of his omission from the CAF APOTY final three and his failure to get into the CAF team of the year 2017 and also his failure to land the BBC APOTY, I think he really needs to keep pushing.

He was awarded as Goal international's Africa Player of the year 2017 and also made the Goal Africa Team of the Year 2017.

Victor Moses made the CAF team of the round in World cup qualifying about three times out of the six round of matches. He had a great year no doubt for both club and country but CAF thinks otherwise. *shrugs*

Salah and Mane deserve their plaudits though. And for Goal sake, Auba will always get a mention. Well, wish Victor Moses a better and more fulfilling 2018.

He should keep pushing indeed

#SoarSuperEagles
oga supernerd welcome back....I really missed you.

I believe this year 2018 will be an interesting year
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 1:27pm On Jan 01, 2018
Icon4s:
Hmm not going to be easy in some categories. But let me try the ones I can

CATEGORIES
1. Most Controversial Poster
: Forgiveness (we all know why)
2. Most Interactive Poster
: TheGoodJoe (He can reply your single post with double responses)
3. Most Intelligent Poster
: TheSuperNerd ( Smart posts that when in an argument with him you need to get all ur facts straight else....)
4. Most Resourceful Poster
: Joebie ( It is as if he goes even into the Eagles camp to get us updates)
5. Most Respectful Poster
: Kog45( No matter how young or old or wise or foolish you may sound he respects your opinion)
6. Most Consistent Poster
: Tbaba1234( He is ever present to chip in those his thoughtful 2-3 lines of comments)
7. Most Positive Poster
: Tbaba1234 ( Has a way of hoping almost every player comes out good)
8. Best Sense of Humor
: Blueto ( He no go kill person with his "ogbonge" grammar.
9. Most Critical Poster
: Goldfish80 ( Hardly in agreement with anybody. He can criticise even himself)
10. Nicest Poster: Confun (Though she been away for sometime. We have missed her words of comfort)
:
11. Most Influential Poster: Joseph1013 and Terzurum5 ( For creating and being like mods to this thread)
12. Most Pro-Foreign Born Poster
: Komekn( They have to be the Borough born or they are below average)
13. Most Pro-Naija League Poster
: Danycrusoe ( he even gives updates of remote matches played in the NNL)
14. People's Favourite
: Safarigirl ( Queen of the thread, Land lady of the house, First Lady)
15. Most Sentimental: TheGoodJoe (Once he chooses a player to be his attorney that player can never step a foot wrong)
16. Notorious Silent Reader
: Petrobros ( Doesn't make comments much but usually pops his head when he cannot hold back again)
17. Impressive Thread Newbie
18. Diehard Super Eagles Fan
: Everyone on this thread
19. Best Friends
: Safarigirl and TheGoodJoe (They are always on the same side of an argument)
20. Most Outstanding Poster
: Safarigirl( I would always want to read her comments)
21. Overall Best Poster
:
This category should go to the moniker that wins the most awards here. If there is a tie we can then vote.
22. Top Dramatic Topics
: Iheanacho, Mikel, combining football and education, Pro and AntiMartins
23. Honourable Mention: I, by the power vested on me by this thread, unanimously give this category to THESUPERNERD. Whoever does not accept should go and report to Buhari. tongue

Any other categories I'm missing?

24. Most rival debaters: TheGoodJoe vs Goldfish80 ( They have never agreed on any single topic. They can even argue whether Russia is hosting the WC or not)
25. Most information from the archives: Kog45 ( He got loads of info from the archives)

thanks sir for the recognition, Davep thanks for the honorary mention happy new year to u Sirs.
thesupernerd u r back at last, welcome bk. I hope u don't go on a strike again.

Now that we v started on a positive note, I hope the SE can make the Semi finals of the world cup.

GUYS PRAY for the FLAMINGOES they couldn't beat Ethiopia but they face a high scoring side in Cameroon for a Place in Uruguay for the fifa u17 women's world cup.

God bless u all. Happy new year to u all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:28pm On Jan 01, 2018
Icon4s:

This boy is gradually growing in status.
I will pick him ahead of Nwakaeme.
oga please spare me this...we don't need another uchebo... same junior ajayi that I know...is not a super eagles material......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 1:29pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new year everyone, we all will achieve our plans for this year.Amen
I pray the Super Eagles soar to Semi final and from there you never know anything can happen. Amen

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Thank you so much Big Sir Joseph. smiley

And yeah the house is bigger and it is glad to know that no one touched my room and my library/study room. wink And yeah, there will always be personal differences as it had always been for the past two years plus I have been here on NL Sports. But I like the call and resolve to have us watch each other's back. I think that is a step in a much better and brighter direction so that none of us cross the line or go the extreme no matter how much anyone here disagrees with something or a point said. Thank you for that.

2018 interesting? I say that the interesting part has already began and more will be unravelled. What I really await are the spoilers and twists of 2018 which trumps the conventional that many think will occur. wink

It's been a real pleasure Sir Joseph. Always my boss no doubt. Thank you.

joseph1013:
TheSuperNerd! Good to see you back.

I knew you'd be back when you're ready. wink

I'm sure you know that there will still be personal differences, however everyone on the thread has been tasked with watching one another's back in cases of unnecessary personal attacks and calling them out as often as they are spotted.

You can see we have a richer house. 2018 will be interesting.

#BuckleUp

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:35pm On Jan 01, 2018
This is the year of spoilers and twists. The kind of interesting folks are expecting will be so beyond normal. wink

Thanks so much Sir Royalty. Happy new year to you too.

Humility017:

oga supernerd welcome back....I really missed you.

I believe this year 2018 will be an interesting year
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:37pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New year to you guys, came late but still valid.

I wish Nigeria as a country greener year, I wish the super eagles a successful world cup and all the players injury free 2018.

I also wish everyone of us here a positive 2018.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:39pm On Jan 01, 2018
Humility017:

oga please spare me this...we don't need another uchebo...
same junior ajayi that I know...is not a super eagles material......

Na only oga Icon4s know footballers na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:41pm On Jan 01, 2018
Sir Danycrusoe abi na Robinson Crusoe. lol

Happy new year ooooo. No I was not on strike naa. Lol.

And hey, our flamingoes will come good hopefully. I know the camerounians won big while we struggled but remember, we are not on same level as the team Cameroun put seven goals pass.

Danycrusoe:

thanks sir for the recognition, Davep thanks for the honorary mention happy new year to u Sirs.

Now that we v started on a positive note, I hope the SE can make the Semi finals of the world cup.

GUYS PRAY for the FLAMINGOES they couldn't beat Ethiopia but they face a high scoring side in Cameroon for a Place in Uruguay for the fifa u17 women's world cup.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 1:52pm On Jan 01, 2018
Welcome home @TheSuperNerd. Good to have you back bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbloke(m): 1:56pm On Jan 01, 2018
Jarus:

Thanks guys. This thread is my NL Discovery of the Year 2017. Not aware of it before.

Happy to see that you guys successfully activated my failed attempts to have active discussions on Nigerian players since 2007/2008 when I gave up after many failed threads.

One guy, his username I can't recall, also did well by doing a thread on weekly performance of Nigerian players abroad some 4-5 years ago. He held on for 2 or 3 years before the thread also died.

European club football the culprit again.

You guys are too much. I salute your depth of knowledge of Nigerian footballer. I'm a learner here, especially on these Nigerian young foogballers in Engkand and Germany, some of whom I heard about for the first time on this thread.

I'm more of an established player person. Don't monitor upcoming so much.

I'm also as enthusiastic of African football as I am of Nigerian, hence my broader outlook here. I follow players from other African countries too. That is why my arguments are more pan-African than pan-Nigeria.

I know objectivity itself is subjective but I try to be objective in my analysis, one of the few Nigerians who don't believe Moses deserved a Top 3 spot in APOTY 2017.

We have a lot to discuss in 2018 - World Cup, AFCON qualifiers, CHAN etc.

I will try and keep up the Player Rating after SE matches which I have been doing since 2012.
Good job. I always look forward to your player ratings. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 2:11pm On Jan 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Moroccan Club Moghreb Tétouan Chase Chikatara

0 December 31, 2017 9:35 pm

By David Meshioye:

Inactive Wydad Casablanca striker Chisom Chikatara tops the list of players wanted by rival Moroccan club Moghreb Tétouan, Completesportsnigeria.com can report.
Moroccan outlets reported on Sunday that Chikatara could be heading to Tetouan after coach Youssef Fertout expressed his readiness to sign the Nigerian next season.
MT coach Youssef Fertout is a former Wydad player and physical trainer at Wydad before moving to Tetouan. It is believed among Wydad officials that the deal could eventually see the light of day given the coach’s familiarity and close relationship that exit between both parties.
Other players wanted by MT are defender Fadh Aktaou and Naim Aarab.

Chikatara joined the Red and White side in 2016 after a scintillating performance at CHAN 2018 in Rwanda but failed to rediscover his form at Wydad. He dropped to fifth in the pecking order of strikers at the club and played nine matches with a goal since leaving Abia Warriors.

2018 wey we just enter some hours ago na im Chikatara play CHAN...grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:11pm On Jan 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
ROUND-UP: Iheanacho Ends 2017 With No EPL Goal, Aluko Extends Drought; Obi Starts Again

1 December 31, 2017 12:46 pm

By Johnny Edward: Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho ended the year 2017 without scoring an English Premier League goal, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
The 21-year-old Nigerian was left out of Leicester City’s match day squad that lost 2-1 at Liverpool on Saturday.

Mohammed Salah scored a second half brace to cancel out Jamie Vardy’s third minute opener.

Iheanacho featured in 16 EPL games in 2017 (seven for Manchester City and nine appearances for Leicester City) and has failed to find the back of the net.

Iheanacho’s last league goal in the English Premier League was on 26 December, 2016 against Hull City at the KCOM Stadium when he replaced Nolito to score his fourth goal of the season.

Iheanacho was however prolific for the Super Eagles in 2017, scoring four goals in seven games for the national team.

Saturday also saw Wilfred Ndidi make his 21th start of the EPL season for Leicester City. So far in 2017, Ndidi has made 38 appearances in the English Premier League for the Foxes while Ahmed Musa was named on the substitutes bench for the first time this season on Saturday. Musa is yet to feature for Leicester City this season in the EPL.

Victor Moses on his part played for 57 minutes for Chelsea in their 5-0 rout of Stoke City at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. It was his 14th start of the league campaign for the reigning champions.

At Vicarage Road, Isaac Success was left out of Watford’s squad that lost 2-1 to Swansea City with their new manager Carlos Carvalhal in charge.

In the English Championship, Ola Aina played the whole pf Hull City’s 2-2 home draw with Fulham. It was his 24th start for the Tigers this campaign.

Sone Aluko featured for Reading who drew 1-1 with Barnsley away. The Nigerian international came on for John Swift in the 60th minute of the draw.

The game also saw Aluko extend his goal drought to 10 games for Reading this season.

Aluko, who has scored twice in 20 English Championship games this season for Reading, last scored in their 4-2 win over Derby County on the 4th of November, 2017.

In Italy, Nigerian midfielder Joel Obi made his 11th Serie A start of the season for Torino in Saturday’s goalless draw with Genoa. Umar Sadiq was an unused substitute for the game.

Orji Okwonkwo was also benched for Bologna’s 2-1 loss at home to Udinese. Okonkwo has scored three goals in nine Serie A games.

In Scotland, Efe Ambrose was in action for Hibernian who played out a 1-1 at home to Kilmarnock. It was his 23rd appearance for Hibernian in the Scottish Premiership this season. He has one goal to his name so far.
I remember a not too distance past where everybody on this thread were shouting for the inclusion of Aluko, dude can't even lay claim to be the best player in his team. people on this thread can hype player for Africa

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:16pm On Jan 01, 2018
joseph1013:

The idea is to have everyone give us their opinions and the most notable mentions takes the award.
I want to collate the nominations for final day, or its elect to win we are currently doing? Happy new year bro!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:16pm On Jan 01, 2018
joseph1013:

Bro, he's right.

Based on available data, the 94 set was not really as great individually as initially thought. As a team, they were a delight to watch. In that respect, they compare favorably with today's team. It was the '98 set that was full of very good individual players but we messed up our chances with poor tactics.

Oga, we live to fight another day. Today is not your day. grin

Hahahaha! Seriously, we don't have the likes of Daniel Amokachi who was the best foreign player in the Belgian pro league for two seasons in our current team. The only person that came close is Onyekuru but the Belgium league is not in the top 5 of top leagues in Europe now. While, the Belgian league then was rated in the top 5 and this simply placed it side by side with the French league and side by side with PSG. Therefore, I don't see any player in the mould of Dan the Bull in oir team.

Do we have a player in the mould of of Rashford Yekini in our current team? No

Do we have the second best African player in a top 5 league likened to France of today in our current team? A player in the mould of Chidi Nwanu? Nope

Do we have player that has scored 17 goals and 6 goals (in 9 games) in a top 35 likened to France of today and in the UEFA champions league respectively cure in our current team? A player who jus won the best African player in the Belgian league which was the 5 best league in Europe in 1993 prior to the WC. It is just like saying Mbbape who scored goals last season and moved to a better club like PSG or Barcelonia should be dropped because he didn't get enough playing time. Iam talking about Victor Ikpeba. Do we have currently in the team? None.

Do we have a player in the mould of gentile giant? Uche Okechukwu

Do we have Emmanuel Amuneke who made rave like Junior Ajayi in the best league and club in Africa?

Do we have Samson Siasia who shined in a league like France before he move to a league and club likened to the la liga and Athletico Madrid of that time?

I don't think we have such calibers of players in our team. Happy new year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:18pm On Jan 01, 2018
elunico:

The recognition that comes with it.
Gracias for the nomination. humbled. hny 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:21pm On Jan 01, 2018
On Victor Moses losing out in the CAF Team of the year culled from CompleteSportsNigeria.

Well..... It all came down to just 1% difference. Chaaaiiiiii.. African soccer fans which way naa? sad But funny though, Our own Troost Ekong got into the CAF Team of the year. Hmmmm. North Africans must really love this defender of ours. As for Junior Ajayi, he is a hero for Al-Ahly so it is obvious how he got in. But a more improved player no doubt. I was privileged to see a game or two of Ajayi in the CAF CL).

According to a poll published on CAF’s verified Twitter handle on Monday, Moses narrowly lost out to Morocco and Wydad Casablanca player Mohamed Ounnajem for the position of the best right winger in Africa in 2017.

Ounnajem got 47 per cent of the 6,030 votes cast, with Moses getting 46 per cent.

In third place is Senegal and Monaco player Keita Balde who only secured seven per cent of the votes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 2:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah, good to see you too, Elite Big head! angry

you must have been training very hard this past few weeks, to make your comeback in the opening game of the season... Trust injury is bad.. Welcome back bro... At least we get back the nerdy sense of humour on the left wing back role... Right... U might beat Idowu for a spot in the team... Good to have you back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 2:24pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Sir Danycrusoe abi na Robinson Crusoe. lol

Happy new year ooooo. No I was not on strike naa. Lol.

And hey, our flamingoes will come good hopefully. I know the camerounians won big while we struggled but remember, we are not on same level as the team Cameroun put seven goals pass.

Robinson Crusoe x the novel that inspired my username, and the fact that it was written by my namesake Daniel Defoe... that's by the way.

I hope after wat the u17 n u20 last year the female teams won't follow suit this year, seriously our female teams av not been this poor or maybe others are just catching up and we r getting exposed that we aren't as good as we tot.

Djibouti could be at the u17 women's world cup if they could navigate Ghana, that's a testament of the improvement of others. Burundi almost shocked SA at the u20 level too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:25pm On Jan 01, 2018
Icon4s:

I hope you are not getting my moniker mixed up?

Icon4s and 79 are two different people o.
grin
I'l take note hence. na only icon my eyes dey catch mostly. but i choose the o pari master!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:28pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new to my number one online family. I love you all. Komekn, forgiveness I appreciate you guys. Mikeal2 keep the criticism flowing. You are tick. Love, much love to everyone else.

TheSuperNerd welcome back. I felt like a dog(seriously my heart was jumping, wriggling, running back and forth with tails twisting) at seeing your posts. I missed you. Glad you are back.
God bless us all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:28pm On Jan 01, 2018
Hahahahah! My personal personal person don show face for our face you and face me mansion. The one and only TheSuperNerd. Wellucome. Hahahaha!

Happy new year my guy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Happy new year to you too Awesome BVV. smiley

I've missed my room in this place and my thread library too. wink

I Told the other roomies to vacate that room to preserve the nostalgic feel u left behind. As you don renovate now, you be like new boarder wey seniors dey flock to take their own share of the 'spoils'. Its plenty sha. welcome back&hny2018!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 2:35pm On Jan 01, 2018
daveP:
I want to collate the nominations for final day, or its elect to win we are currently doing? Happy new year bro!
Alright then. I guess you collate and just announce the winners.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:36pm On Jan 01, 2018
Victor Moses and a year of garlands
By Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Premier League title winner, FA Cup finalist, World Cup qualifier, BBC African Player of the Year nominee, CAF African Player of the Year finalist, and now KweséESPN's Sports Star of the Year. 2017 has been kind to Victor Moses.

KweséESPN ran a poll in December asking fans to vote for their favourite African sports star - athletes or players born on the continent, or representing the flag of an African nation.

In the end it came down to two football players, with Chelsea and Super Eagles star Moses (29%) just edging Liverpool's goal-machine, Egyptian Mohamed Salah (28%). Cameroonian basketball star Joel Embiid was a distant third with 9%.

It has been a most astonishing turnaround year for Moses; one in which he has emerged from the dark corner of the unwanted man to a shining light for club and country.

To be fair, Moses has always been a cornerstone of the Super Eagles ... when he was fit. He showed that in Nigeria's run to the Afcon title in 2013, but that was because the coaches then understood his value as an attacking force, and deployed him accordingly as a wide attacking player.

He also benefited from a partnership with then Chelsea teammate John Mikel Obi, who found a telepathic connection of sorts with the winger. And Moses delivered goals and assists.
With Chelsea, however, the situation was slightly more complicated. The Blues had an abundance of world-class wide talent, and the Nigerian struggled to impose his own unique set of skills to break through. The result was that succeeding Chelsea managers could not guarantee him consistent game-time, or any game-time at all.

Despite that, and perhaps in acknowledgement of his undoubted talent, the club were reluctant to cut him loose. Instead, he spent almost every year of his time since joining Chelsea at different Premier League clubs, be it West Ham, Liverpool or Stoke.

Antonio Conte's arrival in London changed all that. Returning to his parent club at the beginning of last season, Moses was given a chance to impress the manager in pre-season. And impress he did.
But it would not be the first time the Nigerian had worked his socks off ahead of a new season. The difference this time was that his particular skill-set dove-tailed perfectly into his new manager's preferred style of play. It was to be a fortuitous coming together of ability and tactics.

Conte tossed Moses in as a wingback, exploiting his high work-rate in defence, the lungs to bomb forward in attack, the discipline to hug the byline, and the skill to get past his man and pinch on when necessary.

It was a key part of the cocktail that won Chelsea the title and took them to the FA Cup Final, though that proved a rare blotch on his 2017 copybook when he was shown a red card.
That title-winning confidence showed in his appearances for Nigeria, where he took on players, opened up defences, and scored decisive goals as the Super Eagles made light work of what was expected to be CAF's 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying 'Group of Death'.

With Moses in the side, the Super Eagles were almost guaranteed a win before they filed out. Without him, they look shorn of imagination. His confidence and penetration add a clinical, purposed edge to the Nigeria frontline, and his time as a wingback with Chelsea means he never shies away from tracking to help his fullback.

Such has been the phenomenal year that Moses has had that were it not for stratospheric performances by Salah, he most probably would have done a clean sweep of awards.
However, this one is just reward for a year in which Chelsea's forgotten stone has become the Blues and Nigeria's cornerstone.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21930412/victor-moses-year-garlands?device=featurephone

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:37pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Chaaaiiiiii... ibiakwa grin

na new year na, use a new one na! grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:40pm On Jan 01, 2018
Danycrusoe:

They just seem to be irrelevant till they make world cup. i believe they'll qualify though. Na u sure pass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:46pm On Jan 01, 2018
joseph1013:

Alright then. I guess you collate and just announce the winners.
Alright then. 12midnight. Jan 4th is deadline day for the 23 categories.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2489) (2490) (2491) (2492) (2493) (2494) (2495) ... (16160) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), zicky(m), chrisooblog, Ikanium(m), Philosopher1979, Marjoribanks and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.