Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2505) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11788668 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2502) (2503) (2504) (2505) (2506) (2507) (2508) ... (16196) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:40am On Jan 03, 2018
joseph1013:
AWARDS FOR THIS THREAD 2017

I should have done this well before now but it kept escaping me. Let's cut the aggressive banters and have a little fun.

So, I will be listing out some categories and you are allowed to nominate the posters of your choice. You can also add the categories I have omitted. This will last for 72 hours. At the end of which, safarigirl, if she agrees, will announce the winners on Thursday, 4th January, 2018 by 7pm.

CATEGORIES
1. Most Controversial Poster
2. Most Interactive Poster
3. Most Intelligent Poster
4. Most Resourceful Poster
5. Most Respectful Poster
6. Most Consistent Poster
7. Most Positive Poster
8. Best Sense of Humor
9. Most Critical Poster
10. Nicest Poster
11. Most Influential Poster
12. Most Pro-Foreign Born Poster
13. Most Pro-Naija League Poster
14. People's Favourite
15. Most Sentimental
16. Notorious Silent Reader
17. Impressive Thread Newbie
18. Diehard Super Eagles Fan
19. Best Friends
20. Most Outstanding Poster
21. Overall Best Poster
22. Top Dramatic Topics
23. Honourable Mention: I, by the power vested on me by this thread, unanimously give this category to THESUPERNERD. Whoever does not accept should go and report to Buhari. tongue

Any other categories I'm missing?

PS: Apologies the get-together could not happen. I am out of the country.

cc: AIG07, Isahalbash, Safarigirl, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, tbaba1234, komekn, Mujtahida, certitude, humility017, forgiveness, enomakos, TheGoodjoe, Mikael2, petrobros, Bascovanveli, TheSuperNerd, chrisoblog, loogan, do4luv14, icon79, maidaboi, terzurum5, Okpekyandega, Icon4s, TheSuperNerd, lakesidepapa, goldfish80, Xzbit91, lexyman, Humility017, ChrisKels, bigblangston, goke7, Chrismario, Daninya11, shawwal1, ganiyat2adeyeri, yemyke001, edi287, krattoss, eseose9, oasis007, jihday etc.

I tender my unreserved apologies if your name is not here. Let's have some fun.

1. Forgiveness
2. Joebie
3. Mujtahida
4. Tie between tbaba/ goodjoe/supernerd ( before he went on leave cheesy)
5. Kog
6. Komekn and goodjoe you may not always agreed with their views but boy are they consistent
7. Supernerd
8. Safarigirl
9. Komekn and mickael
10. Aig07
11. Joebie
12. Komekn
13.Bascov
14. Goodjoe
15. Forgiveness.
16. All ghost mode viewers.
17. Joebie and mujtahida.
18. Safarigirl
19. Forgiveness and komekn serious bromance grin
20. Mujtahida
21. Mujtahida
22. Is Mikel world class, iheanacho, is rohr tactical
23. Words of the year: drill, cult, biased, sentimental,

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:23am On Jan 03, 2018
OMANBALA1:

I really like Oghenekaro Etebor becuaseof his fighting spirit and all but I am scared for him. If Sokari shows up and steals the show in the attacking midfield then Karo is the only player likely to be dropped. Not forgetting Joel Obi is out there posting great performances. Chai ,that midfield is so loaded.
I am fantasizing about a midfield that includes... ...
Mikel
Ndidi
Ogu
Joel
Onazi
Mikel Agu/Etebor/Sokari.

Sokari might just gate-crash this party because he is a natural attacking midfielder, a lot like Wilson Oruma.

Karo is likely to miss out on the 23s. I don't think his versatility and high work rate would be enough to save him a spot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:38am On Jan 03, 2018
Akpom Fined £9,350, Banned For Driving While Drunk

Arsenal’s Nigerian forward Chuba Akpom has been banned from driving for 17 months after admitting driving while drunk on a concoction of ‘vodka and cranberry juice’.

He was also fined £9,350 by the Willesden Magistrates Court.

Akpom who has made only one Carabao Cup appearance for Arsenal this season smashed a fence and furniture after losing control of his £60,000 Range Rover near his home in Barnet, North London.

The 22-year-old committed the offence during a night out partying with friends in London after he and his friends drove to the West End to a 21st birthday party at a club in Watford, the striker ‘stupidly agreed’ to put vodka in two glasses of cranberry juice, the report stated.

According to a report on Daily Mail, Akpom was charged with drink driving by the Police after a series of breath test that showed he was above the legal limit.

“His father woke up later and found the crashed car outside the gate with no driver and for a moment he was seriously concerned about what had happened to his son,” Akpom’s lawyer Aki Achillea told the court.

“He was about to ring hospitals and the police, fearing his son, being a high-profile footballer, had been abducted so this has affected the family as well.

“He has let himself down and made a dreadful mistake for a boy that has always been so disciplined.”

Akpom has featured for Coventry, Nottingham Forest and Hull in recent years on loan from Arsenal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:46am On Jan 03, 2018
enomakos:
rabiu Ali is there on merit,tell me who is a better midfielder than him in the npfl?

Chukwuka Onuwa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:57am On Jan 03, 2018
Ezenwa: Home Eagles Can Make World Cup Squad Through CHAN

0 January 2, 2018 7:12 pm

Home-based Eagles first choice goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa has admitted that the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) competition will be tough but says the players are fully prepared to battle through and even stake claims for spots in the Russia 2018 World Cup squad.

The fifth African Nations Championship will hold in Morocco from 13 January to 4 February 2018 with Nigeria drawn against Rwanda, Libya and Equatorial Guinea in Group C.

Ezenwa who is poised to make his second appearance at the tournament is banking on the unity in the team to excel at the tournament.

The 29-year-old Enyimba shot stopper told thenff.com: “Rwanda, Libya and Equatorial Guinea are very good sides when it comes to the CHAN tournament. Look at the last edition, Rwanda were very tough and they performed better than us.

“Libya are former champions so they are no newcomers to the competition and for Equatorial Guinea, they will be coming with the bunch of players that played the World Cup qualifiers for them, so to be honest, it’s going to be a very tough group for us but we are up to the task.

“The preparation has been going on well. We have been playing some friendly games and I must say it has been good preparation all round. The camping here in Nigeria is coming to an end we are in good shape to continue the next phase of preparation in Morocco ahead of our first match.

“First of all, we are going to take each game as it comes; we have had very good preparation so far and the unity in the team is awesome and with that, I am confident of a better outing than the last time in Rwanda.”

Nigeria could not progress beyond the group stage at the last edition in Rwanda two years ago.

Ezenwa, who is the captain of the team, also bared his mind on the chances of the Home Eagles players making main Super Eagles final squad list for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

“I think any player that does very well will have an opportunity because the Technical Adviser, Mr. Gernot Rohr, will be in Morocco with us just like he was with us in Ghana where some players who did well were invited for the FIFA World Cup qualifier against Zambia.

“So, I strongly believe anyone who proves himself well will definitely get a look-in, but the most important thing for us right now is to go to Morocco and do the nation proud by winning the trophy.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ezenwa-home-eagles-can-make-world-cup-squad-chan/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Chukwuka Onuwa
yes he is good but ali is more experienced onuwa time will come
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:13am On Jan 03, 2018
Coach Salisu Yusuf – Confident leading up to CHAN 2018

Coach Salisu Yusuf has told SCORENigeria he believes his team will give a good account of themselves at CHAN 2018 in Morocco as he and assistants have picked the best players including some exciting new forwards.

Yusuf announced a final 23-man squad for CHAN yesterday night with as many as 10 players drawn from the team to the recent WAFU Cup in Ghana.

“We have done all within us to go with the best players available because we wish to give a very account of ourselves in Morocco,” the coach told SCORENigeria

“There were some players who will not be with us in Morocco due to injury or they have signed for clubs in Europe. But overall, this is the best team.

“We don’t want to start talking about winning the trophy because besides your quality, you will also need some luck to achieve this.

“What I can guarantee is that Nigerians will be proud of this team.”

Youngsters Sunday Faleye and Nura Mohammed as well as experienced Emeka Ogbuh have given the home-based Super Eagles options in attack.

“We certainly have more options in attack than we had at the WAFU Cup,” said the coach.

“And I believe after a week of final preparations in Morocco, we will be ready to take on the rest of Africa at this level.”
The team are due to fly out this week for final training in Rabat.

They begin their campaign on January 15 against Rwanda in Tangier.
Libya and Equatorial Guinea are also in their first round group.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:14am On Jan 03, 2018
Coach Salisu Yusuf – Confident leading up to CHAN 2018

Coach Salisu Yusuf has told SCORENigeria he believes his team will give a good account of themselves at CHAN 2018 in Morocco as he and assistants have picked the best players including some exciting new forwards.

Yusuf announced a final 23-man squad for CHAN yesterday night with as many as 10 players drawn from the team to the recent WAFU Cup in Ghana.

“We have done all within us to go with the best players available because we wish to give a very account of ourselves in Morocco,” the coach told SCORENigeria

“There were some players who will not be with us in Morocco due to injury or they have signed for clubs in Europe. But overall, this is the best team.

“We don’t want to start talking about winning the trophy because besides your quality, you will also need some luck to achieve this.

“What I can guarantee is that Nigerians will be proud of this team.”

Youngsters Sunday Faleye and Nura Mohammed as well as experienced Emeka Ogbuh have given the home-based Super Eagles options in attack.

“We certainly have more options in attack than we had at the WAFU Cup,” said the coach.

“And I believe after a week of final preparations in Morocco, we will be ready to take on the rest of Africa at this level.”
The team are due to fly out this week for final training in Rabat.

They begin their campaign on January 15 against Rwanda in Tangier.
Libya and Equatorial Guinea are also in their first round group.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/01/03/we-have-picked-best-exciting-team-to-give-good-account-of-ourselves-salisu-yusuf/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:22am On Jan 03, 2018
Egypt, Hector Cuper in straight fight for CAF awards against Gernot Rohr, Super Eagles.

World Cup-bound Super Eagles and Egypt as well as their respective coaches, Gernot Rohr and Hector Cuper, will come head-to-head for the top prizes at the 2017 CAF Awards tomorrow in Accra, Ghana.

The Eagles are up against African champions Cameroon and Egypt for the National Team of the Year, while Rohr will contest the Coach of the Year with Hector Cuper of Egypt and L’Hussein Amoutta of Moroccan club Wydad Casablanca.

Egypt will feature at Russia 2018 after a 28-year absence at the World Cup and were beaten in the final of AFCON 2017 in Gabon by Cameroon.

Nigeria, on the other hand, qualified for this year’s World Cup from a tough qualifying group that had Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia.

They did not qualify for AFCON 2017.
Egypt’s Mohamed Salah is favourite to scoop the prestigious CAF African Player of the Year.

Nigeria’s other interests in the annual awards will be represented by Super Falcons star Asisat Oshoala and the country’s women’s U20 team, the Super Falconets.

Oshoala is gunning for a third Women’s Player of the Year after she scooped the same award in 2014 and 2016.

She led her Chinese club to win the country’s league and emerged top scorer.
Nigerian oil firm and Eagles sponsors Aiteo will bankroll the 2017 awards.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/01/03/2017-caf-awards-egypt-hector-cuper-in-straight-fight-against-super-eagles-rohr-for-top-prizes/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:44am On Jan 03, 2018
enomakos:
yes he is good but ali is more experienced
onuwa time will come

Well he never gave the boy a chance, but I think we should be ok in that department with Dayo Ojo as backup so it is all good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:56am On Jan 03, 2018
enomakos:
yes he is good but ali is more experienced
onuwa time will come

That is what they don't want to hear.

But if left to me there should be an age limit for players participating in CHAN.

If the major purpose is to unearth talented players who are not given the opportunity to shine because of the preponderance of foreign players in the national team, then preference should be given to the younger players. Is someone like Rabiu Ali still aspiring to make the Super Eagles Team?

This tourney, IMO, should be restricted to U21 players still playing in their local leagues. We still have a good number of players within this age bracket that have not had the opportunity to showcase themselves. Besides, scouts are typically after young talented players and not those who have passed their primes in the local leagues. Europeans also have an U21 Tourney different from the U19/20. Cant we also do same? But in this case solely for home based players. Besides this will give teams a good start in the scouting for U23 players. For Eg the next AAG is in 2019 and Olympics in 2020. Players who are U21 in 2018 would still be U23 in 2020.

I am still yet to buy into this CHAN idea.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:03pm On Jan 03, 2018
Nigeria name inexperienced CHAN squad

Nigeria have named an inexperienced 23-man squad for the African Nations Championship ahead of the home-based Super Eagles' third successive tournament appearance.

Coach Salisu Yusuf revealed his team for the 16-nation championship on Tuesday, with Nigeria pooled in Group C alongside Rwanda, Libya and Equatorial Guinea for the tournament involving home-based teams.

CAF Confederation Cup candidates and seven-time Nigeria league champions Enyimba are the best represented NFPL team in the squad, having contributed five players.

Yusuf has largely opted for players untested at either international and CAF club continental level, with teenage El-Kanemi Warriors left-wing sensation, Nura Mohammed, who is yet to make his professional league debut, top of the list.

The present team is comprised largely of players who impressed at the 2017 Nigeria Professional Football League Super Six and in the training camp which held for a fortnight in Abuja.

Sunday Faleye, Timothy Danladi, Ibrahim Mustapha, Ikouwem Udoh, and Mohammed -- a player who was only recently promoted from El-Kanemi Warriors' feeders during pre-season - represent risky picks by Yusuf, who will be aiming to improve on Nigeria's group-stage exit last time out.

Goalkeeper and captain Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Stephen Eze, Kalu Orji Okagbue, and Rabiu Ali are the only players on the squad with prior experience at the tournament.

This represents a sharp contrast from the two previous Nigeria teams named in 2014 and 2016, squads which were dominated by players with full international caps and exposure.

Nigeria begin their campaign against Rwanda at the Stade Ibn Batouta in Tangier on Monday 15 January.

The Eagles play their second group game at the same venue against Libya on Friday 19 January and conclude their group participation against debutants Equatorial Guinea at Stade Adrar, Agadir on Tuesday 23 January 2018.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3333899/nigeria-name-inexperienced-chan-squad

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liamm(m): 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2018
I'm a football enthusiast. Been following this thread albeit keeping a low profile. I must admit that I'm amazed by the intelligence and maturity displayed by members on here. Have decided to come out of my shell and become an active member here. Welcome me guys!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:07pm On Jan 03, 2018
Liamm:
I'm a football enthusiast and new on this thread. Welcome me guys!
Welcome!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:14pm On Jan 03, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Nigeria have named an inexperienced 23-man squad for the African Nations Championship ahead of the home-based Super Eagles' third successive tournament appearance.

Coach Salisu Yusuf revealed his team for the 16-nation championship on Tuesday, with Nigeria pooled in Group C alongside Rwanda, Libya and Equatorial Guinea for the tournament involving home-based teams.

CAF Confederation Cup candidates and seven-time Nigeria league champions Enyimba are the best represented NFPL team in the squad, having contributed five players.

Yusuf has largely opted for players untested at either international and CAF club continental level , with teenage El-Kanemi Warriors left-wing sensation, Nura Mohammed, who is yet to make his professional league debut, top of the list.

The present team is comprised largely of players who impressed at the 2017 Nigeria Professional Football League Super Six and in the training camp which held for a fortnight in Abuja.

Sunday Faleye, Timothy Danladi, Ibrahim Mustapha, Ikouwem Udoh, and Mohammed -- a player who was only recently promoted from El-Kanemi Warriors' feeders during pre-season - represent risky picks by Yusuf, who will be aiming to improve on Nigeria's group-stage exit last time out.

Goalkeeper and captain Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Stephen Eze, Kalu Orji Okagbue, and Rabiu Ali are the only players on the squad with prior experience at the tournament.

This represents a sharp contrast from the two previous Nigeria teams named in 2014 and 2016, squads which were dominated by players with full international caps and exposure.

Nigeria begin their campaign against Rwanda at the Stade Ibn Batouta in Tangier on Monday 15 January.

The Eagles play their second group game at the same venue against Libya on Friday 19 January and conclude their group participation against debutants Equatorial Guinea at Stade Adrar, Agadir on Tuesday 23 January 2018.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3333899/nigeria-name-inexperienced-chan-squad

The first bolded is due to the poor performance of the clubs at the continental level.

The second bolded is due to the philosophy of Rohr selecting his best players, without keeping slots for home based players (something I had against Keshi, RIP)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 12:21pm On Jan 03, 2018
Humility017:

and some of my brothers here want an old leg to be called in place of a talent of this caliber....
to some Martins have class...class only them can see because even wit my medicated glasses still see nothing...special in his play...

here is a young man who will bring something different to the super eagles....good in the air and skillful as well....

Well, it could be by reason of choice you know? Sometimes one chooses what he wants to see.... dont u agree?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2018
Recently, we heard Rohr is searching for a player capable of playing the role of Mikel Obi. This is necessary should Mikel gets injury or suspension that could render him unfit or ineligible to continue or play in a match as witnessed in the last WC when we had no replacement for Michael and Onazi though Ramon Azeez could had easily replaced Onazi but for lack of trust wasn't played.

Therefore, it is indeed necessary and understandable to get a player who can slot in easily into Mikel's position without being felt.

However, we ought to know what exactly Rohr is looking for in a player able to deputize for Mikel. As we heard, he is looking for one who is able to hold unto the ball, give key and through passes, and also capable of defending.

Surprisingly, Rohr is not sold on Alex Iwobi and Tega Etebor to do the job hence the need to find a better player though we will still compare them with the contenders.

As a fan of the SE, I have offered to contribute my quota by using the who scored comparison data to compare the other players that have not been given the chance to prove themselves in the GWG shirt.

We examine and compare their offensive, defensive and passing attributes and choose the better replacement for Mikel Obi and also reconsider Tega Etebor's place in the team if there is a better and quality option for him since our focus is on AMF/CM positions.

Here the contenders, Sone Aluko, Alex Iwobi, Etebor Tega, Abdul Ajagun, Raheem Lawal and Kelechi Nwakali.

I will use Mikel Obi stats as benchmark for these players and the Offensive part of their game will be the first to be compared.

I will bolding the attribute that is better than the ones in comparison.

Player Offensive Comparisons
Summary

John Obi Mikel
Tianjin Teda
Super league - 2017

DMC

Apps: 13
Mins: 1170
Goals: 1
Assists: 1
SpG: 0.4
KeyP: 0.6
Drb: 1.5
Fouled: 0.7
Off: 0.2
Disp: 1.3
UnsTch: 0.3
Rating: 7.01

Alex Iwobi
Arsenal
Premier League - 2016/2017

AM(CLR)

Apps: 18(cool
Mins: 1463
Goals: 3
Assists: 3
SpG: 1.5
KeyP: 1
Drb: 1.1
Fouled: 0.5
Off: 0.1
Disp: 1
UnsTch: 0.9
Rating: 6.72

Oghenekaro Etebo
Feirense
Liga NOS - 2016/2017

AM(L),FW

Apps: 21(2)
Mins: 1906
Goals: 2
Mins -
SpG: 1.6
KeyP: 0.5
Drb: 0.5
Fouled: 3
Disp: 2.2
UnsTch: 2.3
Ratings: 6.61

Sone Aluko
Fulham
Championship - 2016/2017

AM(CLR),FW

Apps: 44(1)
Mins: 3750
Goals: 8
Assists: 10
SpG: 2.8
KeyP: 1.1
Drb: 2.3
Fouled: 1.4
Off: 0.3
Disp: 2.1
UnsTch: 2.9
Rating: 7.09

Abdul Ajagun
Roda
Eredivisie - 2016/2017

AM(CR)

Apps: 30(1)
Mins: 2568
Goals: 5
Assists: 2
SpG: 1.8
KeyP: 0.9
Drb: 0.5
Fouled: 1.2
Disp: 1.3
UnsTch: 1.5
Rating: 6.49

Lawal
Kayserispor
Super Lig - 2016/2017

M(C)

Apps: 16
Mins: 1276
Goals: 5
Assists: 2
SpG: 1.6
KeyP: 1.4
Drb: 3
Fouled: 3.9
Off: 0.1
Disp: 2.5
UnsTch: 2.1
Rating: 7.32

Kelechi Nwakali
VVV-Venlo
Eredivisie - 2017/2018

Midfielder

Apps: 3(6)
Mins: 298
Goals: 1
Assists -
SpG: 1.2
KeyP: 0.3
Drb: 0.8
Fouled: 0.3
Off -
Disp: 0.3
UnsTch: 1.1
Rating: 6.43

Mins: Minutes played Goals: Total goals Assists: Total assists
SpG: Shots per game KeyP: Key passes per game Drb: Dribbles per game
Fouled: Fouled per game Off: Offsides per game Disp: Dispossessed per game
UnsTch: Bad control per game

In the shots per game category which has to do with the threat of shooting at goal in a game. Sone Aluko is better than all including Mikel Obi.

Here the rating is decided by the higher the number you have and this is rating style is also applicable to Key passes, the numbers of dribble (which has to do with your ability to dribble successful) and fouled (the ability to draw fouls and get your opponent a card).

Now, this is the rating for shots per game from number one till the last.

1. Sone Aluko - 2.8
2. Abdul Ajagun - 1.8
3 Raheem Lawal - 1.6
3. Tega Etebor - 1.6
5 Alex Iwobi - 1.5
6. Kelechi Nwakali - 1.2
7. Mikel Obi - 0.4

Next is Key pass.

What is the meaning of key pass?

A pass/cross that is instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity, for example a corner or free-kick to a player who then assists an attempt, a chance-creating through ball or cross into a dangerous position.
https://statsbomb.com/2013/11/assessing-key-passes/

It opta denoted events of Assist and Key Pass, ie the final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball shooting (regardless of the outcome of the shot

To simply put it, it is a final pass that frees a player to shot at goal or the ability to create a chance for a player to score. They are the assist masters depending on the ability of the recipient to score goals.

In this category, Raheem Lawal is better.

1. Raheem Lawal 1.4
2. Sone Aluko - 1.1
3. Alex Iwobi - 1
4. Abdul Ajagun 0.9
5. Mikel Obi - 0.6
6. Tega Etebor - 0.5
7.. Kelechi Nwakali 0.3

The next is their ability to complete a dribble successful, and the winner here is Raheem Lawal.

1. Raheem Lawal - 3
2. Sone Aluko - 2.8
3. Mikel Obi - 1.5
4. Alex Iwobi 1.1
5. Kelechi Nwakali - 0.8
6. Abdul Ajagun - 0.5
6. Tega Etebor - 0.5

Fouled is the ability to get free kicks in vital areas and the ability to get players earn a card. This was one of Guardiola's tactics at Barcelona.

In this category, Raheem Lawal is better because he draws alots of foul to himself.

1. Raheem Lawal - 3.5
2. Sone Aluko - 1.4
3. Abdul Ajagun - 1.2
4. Mikel Obi - 0.7
5. Alex Iwobi - 0.5
6. Tega Etebor - 0.5
7. Kelechi Nwakali -

I will move to the dispossessed per game. This has to do with how often you don't lose the ball and keep possession or how often a player is dispossessed of the ball. The lower the number the better you are at not loosing the ball and the best candidate in this category is Kelechi Nwakali.it doesn't mean you are good at holding the ball but it does means you don't like to hold the and rather release on time. Iwobi one two touches explains why he is number 2 on the list.

1. Kelechi Nwakali - 0.3
2. Alex Iwobi - 0.9
3. Mikel Obi - 1.3
3. Abdul Ajagun - 1.3
5. Sone Aluko - 2.1
6. Tega Etebor 2.2
7. Raheem Lawal - 2.5

The UnsTch means your bad ball control. It is ranked from lowest to highest. Mikel Obi na baba for this category.

1. Mikel Obi- 0.3
2. Alex Iwobi - 0.9
3. Kelechi Nwakali - 1.1
4. Abdul Ajagun - 1.3
5. Raheem Lawal - 2.1
6. Tega Etebor - 2.3
7. Sone Aluko - 2.9

Based on the data garnered for comparison of these players Offensive abilities. Who is the most offensive?

Raheem Lawal.

But if we remove Mikel Obi and Alex Iwobi from the list due to fact that they are guaranteed a place in team then the ranking should be like this.

1. Raheem Lawal
2. Abdul Ajagun
3. Sone Aluko
4. Tega Etebor
5. Kelechi Nwakali

In this case, Etebor has to drop for either Sone Aluko, Abdul Ajagun or Raheem Lawal because they offer better than him.

What is your own rating based on these data from whoscored?

Next is passing attributes. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:44pm On Jan 03, 2018
Good development.
This is what some of us have been asking for.

BascoVanVeli:

Yusuf has largely opted for players untested at either international and CAF club continental level, with teenage El-Kanemi Warriors left-wing sensation, Nura Mohammed, who is yet to make his professional league debut, top of the list.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:45pm On Jan 03, 2018
We welcome you!

Liamm:
I'm a football enthusiast. Been following this thread albeit keeping a low profile. I must admit that I'm amazed by the intelligence and maturity displayed by members on here. Have decided to come out of my shell and become an active member here. Welcome me guys!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:48pm On Jan 03, 2018
I would rather prefer us not to win any of these awards. Would sacrifice that for a strong showing in Russia.
For Victor Moses and the others, it will be a motivation -- a blessing in disguise.

MetalJigsaw:
Egypt, Hector Cuper in straight fight for CAF awards against Gernot Rohr, Super Eagles.

World Cup-bound Super Eagles and Egypt as well as their respective coaches, Gernot Rohr and Hector Cuper, will come head-to-head for the top prizes at the 2017 CAF Awards tomorrow in Accra, Ghana.

The Eagles are up against African champions Cameroon and Egypt for the National Team of the Year, while Rohr will contest the Coach of the Year with Hector Cuper of Egypt and L’Hussein Amoutta of Moroccan club Wydad Casablanca.

Egypt will feature at Russia 2018 after a 28-year absence at the World Cup and were beaten in the final of AFCON 2017 in Gabon by Cameroon.

Nigeria, on the other hand, qualified for this year’s World Cup from a tough qualifying group that had Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia.

They did not qualify for AFCON 2017.
Egypt’s Mohamed Salah is favourite to scoop the prestigious CAF African Player of the Year.

Nigeria’s other interests in the annual awards will be represented by Super Falcons star Asisat Oshoala and the country’s women’s U20 team, the Super Falconets.

Oshoala is gunning for a third Women’s Player of the Year after she scooped the same award in 2014 and 2016.

She led her Chinese club to win the country’s league and emerged top scorer.
Nigerian oil firm and Eagles sponsors Aiteo will bankroll the 2017 awards.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/01/03/2017-caf-awards-egypt-hector-cuper-in-straight-fight-against-super-eagles-rohr-for-top-prizes/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2018
THE COMING OF AGE OF ALEX IWOBI

The past year was the coming of age of Alex Iwobi in the Super Eagles and there could not have been a better way of confirming this than by the young forward netting the goal that qualified the country to the 2018 World Cup.

For many years, Iwobi’s claim to fame was he being the nephew of the legendary Austin “Jay Jay’ Okocha.

But he has since carved a niche for himself, first at Arsenal in the Premier League and now with the Super Eagles.

He may not have been considered good enough for the Nigeria U23s three years ago, but coach Gernot Rohr took a chance on him right from the World Cup qualifier against Zambia in Ndola in October 2016.
He scored on the day and a year later, he scored an even more dramatic winner against a plucky Chipolopolo side to qualify Nigeria to Russia 2018.

The ‘Big No 17’ came off the bench for Moses Simon to fire the Eagles ahead after 73 minutes and break the deadlock and resolve of the visiting Zambians.
Former Eagles skipper Nwankwo Kanu told SCORENigeria that the 21-year-old Iwobi would probably not know the significance of that historic late strike till much later in life.

“I told him ‘well done Alex, you don’t know what you have done for the country today, but it is not now, it’s later that you will understand that this goal you scored today means a whole lot’,” he revealed.

“’We all love football and one thing is that you cannot mess around with Nigerians with football. So, for you to have come and scored that goal, it is now in the record books of history, but you are still a young guy and you won’t really understand it now, but later you will’.”

Iwobi has formed a great strike partnership with roommate and fellow Premier League star Kelechi Iheanacho in the national team and this was again evident in the recent friendly against Argentina in Krasnodar, when the two young forwards mesmerised the South Americans in a famous 4-2 win for Nigeria.

At Arsenal, Iwobi is very much a part of the first-team squad after he came through the ranks at the London Gunners.

He said he believes he can do more at the club by playing more regularly and scoring more goals.

“I wish I could get more goals,” he said. “I am working on this.

“Also, I wish I could play more games, but we have a lot of world-class players at the club.”

Iwobi, whose father played for Enugu Rangers, said he has grown in confidence and he is now willing to mix it up in a game.

“I have shown more self-belief and confidence as I grew older because I did not have much confidence in my ability while growing up and will shy away from physical side of the game,” he explained.

Alex Iwobi
Forward
21 years old

Scored the goal against Zambia in Uyo which qualified Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup in Russia

Altogether he scored twice on the road to Russia 2018

He is very much part of the Arsenal first-team squad

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/01/02/scorenigeria-top-10-2017-3-alex-iwobi-comes-of-age/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 12:57pm On Jan 03, 2018
Salisu Yusuf and his choice of Osas Okoro as his right back. Still has not found a decent right footed right back in the whole country. He was our hercule's heel at the WAFU cup & i won't be surprised once again.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2018
Joebie:
I would rather prefer us not to win any of these awards. Would sacrifice that for a strong showing in Russia.
For Victor Moses and the others, it will be a motivation -- a blessing in disguise.

How exactly? Shed more light.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2018
Liamm:

Welcome o! cheesy

Sha make us enjoy your stay here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2018
Liamm:

you're welcome.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:12pm On Jan 03, 2018
Liamm:
Welcome!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:15pm On Jan 03, 2018
Humility017:

how come suraj ayeleso didn't make the CHAN final cut.

When you have Ezenwa, Ajiboye and theophilus

Maybe he didn't put in his best in the training ground...

And you must put in mind that this three goalkeepers are not performing badly at all...
That's just it....
And this three goalkeeper has been with CHAN team for so long... What did you expect?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:16pm On Jan 03, 2018
Apart from a few new additions in attack and replacement for newly foreign based, we just presented the same WAFU team. The best defender is injured.

Osas Okoro, who was a weak link is still in the team. We still have the same tree chopping CBs.

What is the point of playing Rabiu Ali? He is in his 40s. There is no super eagles future. How about a young and promising CM? Is the 40 year old Ali still the best midfielder in the league? Ifeanyi Ifeanyi is average at best. The midfield is very thin.

I am happy to see young faces in the attack, Nura and Sunday, hopefully they get plenty minutes.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:18pm On Jan 03, 2018
somehow:
You dey mind some people?

It's very bad to tagged them very bad... Suraj have several clean sheet on just concluded NPFL league

We see brilliant performance of Ajiboye during the WAFU tournament.. Then we keep tagging them terrible

Maybe he has forgotten that nigeria league has always produce super eagles goalkeeper...

Thank God we will see more of the league of TV... This coming season...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:20pm On Jan 03, 2018
I'm saying I'd trade these awards for a strong showing in Russia. It's just my opinion.
I care less about the awards.

MetalJigsaw:
How exactly? Shed more light.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:22pm On Jan 03, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

When you have Ezenwa, Ajiboye and theophilus

Maybe he didn't put in his best in the training ground...

And you must put in mind that this three goalkeepers are not performing badly at all...
That's just it....
And this three goalkeeper has been with CHAN team for so long... What did you expect?

What do we want to see from Ezenwa, Ajiboye and Afelokhai?

What is the purpose of playing CHAN?? What do we want to achieve from CHAN?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:23pm On Jan 03, 2018
tbaba1234:
Maduka Okoye is training with the first team for 'preseason'.. Preparation for final part of the season.
Which club?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2502) (2503) (2504) (2505) (2506) (2507) (2508) ... (16196) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: immobilare(m), comodo, elyte89 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.