Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2521) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11648403 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2518) (2519) (2520) (2521) (2522) (2523) (2524) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 3:15am On Jan 06, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Most of our referees can't control a match. Games are too rough and they rely too much on guess work a lot of fault should also go to our lines men who are very atrocious for the most part.

they are the ones we can use the only thing we can do is ask the Nigeria Referee Association to do more of training, enlightenment and refresher courses for them. Referees inefficiency is not caused by LMC and the LMC can only do little about it. let the NRA do something too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:21am On Jan 06, 2018
Danycrusoe:

they are the ones we can use the only thing we can do is ask the Nigeria Referee Association to do more of training, enlightenment and refresher courses for them. Referees inefficiency is not caused by LMC and the LMC can only do little about it. let the NRA do something too

LMC can enforce minimum requirements for referees. That would force the NRA to take some action to improve referee quality. Also, the welfare of referees should not be left to host teams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 4:35am On Jan 06, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

It was the pitch. When MFM play at Agege it is poetry in motion but for others they can hardly trap a ball. Nest of champions is a whole different ball game.

Pitch is a very important factor. I watch and enjoy Akwa United matches with no fear of violence unlike in the past when they were using Uyo township stadium. The league is improving.

The league needs followership to make money (ticket sales, TV right, advertisements). If we all stay away and complain, they won't be much improvement. We play better games than some North African and Arab leagues yet they have more spectators. It's not as if we follow European football than them yet they still follow their local league. LMC can't do it alone.

Timing for mid-week games needs to change. 4pm is not favourable at all.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:45am On Jan 06, 2018
Icon79:
Omo, you need an egg to make an omelet. How many naturally talented players (of Mikel's caliber) did Ferguson during that period? You know, we actually came to realize how poor that Man Utd team was after the departure of Sir Alex. Since his departure, 3 world class coaches have been trying to rebuild the same team ... a team that won the EPL in Ferguson's final year, mind you!

Of course, in football like in life there are no guarantees but the truth is that Mikel stood a better chance of developing under Sir Alex than under Mourinho. You know as well as I do that Jose Mourinho doesn't have the time to develop anybody ... he believes in instant gratification - aka the win today mantra. I cried blue murder when Mikel decided to chose Chelsea and I still think that it was a mistake to this day.

O pari

the end point of the discussion is that there is no guarantee, Pogba comes to mind. Manucho, even Macheda, they all had talent but so much for that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:48am On Jan 06, 2018
Truidstar:

Ermmmmm there was a twin black strike duo of Andy Cole and the other Trinidad fella (forgotten his name) also Paul Ince. These guys were over regulars.

what I said is obviously a stretch and grossly exaggerated, my mistake there. I was talking about black players playing for United within the time frame Mikel wanted to step in, that's 2005 till he left.

Then there is also a mistake you guys make, there is a big difference between Dele Alli and Etebo, both are black but one is a Brit and the other isnt, generally I don't add them as black players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:38am On Jan 06, 2018
mank1234:

Pitch is a very important factor. I watch and enjoy Akwa United matches with no fear of violence unlike in the past when they were using Uyo township stadium. The league is improving.

The league needs followership to make money (ticket sales, TV right, advertisements). If we all stay away and complain, they won't be much improvement. We play better games than some North African and Arab leagues yet they have more spectators. It's not as if we follow European football than them yet they still follow their local league. LMC can't do it alone.

Timing for mid-week games needs to change. 4pm is not favourable at all.

We do not play better games than north african teams.

There is no viewership because of the poor quality of the league, poor officiating and poor marketing. A league where home teams are destined to win.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:23am On Jan 06, 2018
Osimhen's goal yesterday in Wolfsburg friendly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujymsKvLYs&feature=youtu.be

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:28am On Jan 06, 2018
Bristol City have asked to take Kelechi Iheanacho from Leicester on loan...

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:31am On Jan 06, 2018
tbaba1234:
Osimhen's goal yesterday in Wolfsburg friendly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujymsKvLYs&feature=youtu.be
E b like all dis Sunday set grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:42am On Jan 06, 2018
John Obi Mikel votes for APOTY
1. Victor Moses
2. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
3. Mohamed Salah
4. Naby Keita
5. Sadio Mane

Gernot Rohr
1. Victor Moses
2. Denis Onyango
3. Vincent Aboubakar
4. Keita Baldé
5. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:11am On Jan 06, 2018
tbaba1234:
Championship side?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:21am On Jan 06, 2018
tbaba1234:
Bristol city? naa..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:21am On Jan 06, 2018
safarigirl:
Championship side?

Yes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:25am On Jan 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Yes
we go manage am...as long as he plays regularly

I'm sure komekn would approve, Championship sides are as good as the first divisions of Turkey, Belgium and Netherlands
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:30am On Jan 06, 2018
terzurum5:

A valid question for our candid considerations Sir. I think this is another area we need to deliberate on seriously and make recommendations to the appropriate quarters.

What can we do to improve on poor spectators in our stands during matches?
cc: Komekn, Forgiveness, Safarigirl, TheGoodJoe, TheSuperNerd, Bascovanveli, Kog45, Dannycrusoe, Kennysville, LakeSidePapa, Orkpekyandega, tbaba1234, Joebie, joseph1013, Goldfish80, AIG07, Isahalbash, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, certitude, humility017, enomakos, Mikael2, petrobros, chrisoblog, loogan, do4luv14, icon79, maidaboi, Icon4s, lakesidepapa, goldfish80, Xzbit91, lexyman, ChrisKels, bigblangston, goke7, Chrismario, Daninya11, shawwal1, ganiyat2adeyeri, yemyke001, edi287, krattoss, eseose9, oasis007, jihday, tglobal, jars, Cheapgoals, mikron, elyte89, MilitaryCommander, kratoss, e.t.c

I know two NPFL clubs that whenever they play the stadium is usually at least 50% full.

These cubs are Kano Pillars and Enyimba. Rangers too but only when the club is doing well.

Now, the difference between these 3 clubs and most of the other clubs is that they are the people's club. The people identify with them any where they go. They have a very large fans base.

I was on a project in Akwa-Ibom, in a community, about 40mins from Aba during Enymba's 2004 Champions league campaign. I watched the first leg semi final game between Enyimba and Esparence. The whole town was painted blue that day (Enyimba colour). Enyimba typically plays on Sunday evenings to ensure the traders whose only off days are Sundays come to the stadium.

I am an Enyimba fan and I identify with the club any where I go. Even though the quality of players are not the same as 12 -15yrs ago, they are still my darling club. Enyimba recently came to play an FA cup game in the city where I reside in Nigeria and I went to watch them.

Now my point is what makes fans always want to go and watch these clubs play? They identify with the club.
What makes Arsenal, Chelsea, or Man United fans always want to watch their clubs play? They identify with them. The last two times I visited London I went to watch Arsenal play at the Emirates stadium, one of which almost made me miss my flight.

Almost everybody in Aba knows that Enyimba belongs to the people of Aba so also does everyone in Kano knows that Pillars belong to people of Kano. Clubs should ensure the people of that City have that sense of belonging.

Another club that had the history of pulling crowd in their locality was 3SC. But the state government and management of the club have run it down.

There are some clubs that are based in certain cities and majority of the populace are not even aware.

Clubs need to go on a marketing drive, by bill boards , TV or radio stations to campaign for supporters, to let people know that it is the money realized from the taxes they pay that the government use in funding them and so they need to come and identify with them in the stadium to give them that winning edge.

Poor officiating, poor stadium facilities, insecurity are some other issues that have hindered fans but I am not going to touch those because I know others will do that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:57am On Jan 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Well, I quickly went to check Bristol's position in the Championship. They are 4th and so within the play off zone. It means they have a good chance of making it to the EPL next season. And if Iheanacho goes and performs there they may even over-take Derby county who are just 2points away in 2nd position and gain automatic qualification.
And then seek permanent transfer for the player.

Benefit of this move is he will get enough playing time as we build up to Russia. The championship is really very competitive even more competitive than the Dutch or Belgian top divisions IMO.

Well, for me it is a better option than where he is as I don't think Puel having any plans for Iheanacho.

modified: Bristol are even playing the semi final of the League Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:04am On Jan 06, 2018
safarigirl:
we go manage am...as long as he plays regularly

I'm sure komekn would approve, Championship sides are as good as the first divisions of Turkey, Belgium and Netherlands

You get the point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:09am On Jan 06, 2018
kennysville:
All the sympathy we suppose get for Kayode Olanrewaju , Forgiveness don wash am away. Na wah O! The man that pep single handedly called and sent on loan to Girona is now looking for another loan elsewhere. So Nairalanders, what say ye to this?

Yeah! I purposely stirred the hornets nest in this one.

grin So, what do you except him to do in a situation he his not happy with his team mates?

If it is about performance he has done better than Iheanacho by far this season though he has no goals to his credit but his MOTM and his inclusion in the la liga team of the week speaks for him.

When I saw his expression in his club's last match, it was glaring he was not happy with his team mates. I understand because in most of the matches he played he would have scored if his team mates plays along with him but they would rather balloon the ball to the crowd than pass to him eventhough he was the one that worked the chances.

So, if it is about performance you think you can shade him then you're on a long thing because he did performed.

However, any player that wants to show his worth will not be content with reserve matches or warming the bench.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:21am On Jan 06, 2018
daveP:
Connect it to their source of livelihood, the passion would appear. Organize lil tourneys for talenthunt in the community, watch fanbase grow. Its more of dedication than knowhow.
Suggestion bookmarked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:21am On Jan 06, 2018
Icon4s:

Well, I quickly went to check Bristol's position in the Championship. They are 4th and so within the play off zone. It means they have a good chance of making it to the EPL next season. And if Iheanacho goes and performs there they may even over-take Derby county who are just 2points away in 2nd position and gain automatic qualification.
And then seek permanent transfer for the player.

Benefit of this move is he will get enough playing time as we build up to Russia. The championship is really very competitive even more competitive than the Dutch or Belgian top divisions IMO.

Well, for me it is a better option than where he is as I don't think Puel having any plans for Iheanacho.

modified: Bristol are even playing the semi final of the League Cup.
icon4s baba just seen Komne and forgiveness laughing now,it seems guys are now saying championship is better than Dutch and Belgium top league just cos of Bristol interest in Kelechi Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:30am On Jan 06, 2018
Kog45:
icon4s baba just seen Komne and forgiveness laughing now,it seems guys are now saying championship is better than Dutch and Belgium top league just cos of Bristol interest in Kelechi Iheanacho.

Hahahaha! No be small laugh oooo. If na Ajagun try am dem go say he is not good enough. grin

People's eyes don't dey clear now about wetin I don dey harmer 4 tey tey. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:42am On Jan 06, 2018
you are saying the obvious, which I've already implied. You can't change our way overnight.

OMANBALA1:

Guy, we can afford to have a natural pitch , all you need are sprinklers and lawn mower. Nigerians are just lazy and lack innovation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:45am On Jan 06, 2018
lol Kelechi is having a bad run in the EPL. Why is no EPL club interested in him? Bristol interest in Kelechi doesn't make the Championship great.
However, KC is doing well in SE colors.. That's the point.
forgiveness:

Hahahaha! No be small laugh oooo. If na Ajagun try am dem go say he is not good enough. grin

People's eyes don't dey clear now about wetin I don't dey harmer 4 tey tey. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:46am On Jan 06, 2018
grin
na wa oh..
Kog45:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:50am On Jan 06, 2018
The point is KC is performing for SE. That will keep him in SE until he starts to underperform. You don't have a case for Kayode's inclusion.
He hasn't scored. He is a striker. I am team performance.

forgiveness:

grin So, what do you except him to do in a situation he his not happy with his team mates?

If it is about performance he has done better than Iheanacho by far this season though he has no goals to his credit but his MOTM and his inclusion in the la liga team of the week speaks for him.

When I saw his expression in his club's last match, it was glaring he was not happy with his team mates. I understand because in most of the matches he played he would have scored if his team mates plays along with him but they would rather balloon the ball to the crowd than pass to him eventhough he was the one that worked the chances.

So, if it is about performance you think you can shade him then you're on a long thing because he did performed.

However, any player that wants to show his worth will not be content with reserve matches or warming the bench.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:51am On Jan 06, 2018
Joebie:
lol Kelechi is having a bad run in the EPL. Why is no EPL club interested in him? Bristol interest in Kelechi doesn't make the Championship great.
However, KC is doing well in SE colors.. That's the point.

Ok! I don't hear una. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:51am On Jan 06, 2018
Kog45:
nah...it's just a jab, at least on my part. I don't actually think that the Championship is better, just mocking the usual suspects.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:57am On Jan 06, 2018
Joebie:
The point is KC is performing for SE. That will keep him in SE until he starts to underperform. You don't have a case for Kayode's inclusion.
He hasn't scored. He is a striker. I am team performance.

If KC is not doing well in his club but he still gets the chance to play for the SE and 'performs', how do you know Kayode will not perform better in GWG if given the chance though he has not scored 'this' season since club performance is not the yardstick for call into D SE?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:09am On Jan 06, 2018
Goke7:

na the person wey de do something dey give aso ebi o though at a price so na cool business you sabi the way grin

e good make we laugh small for this forum, we are too serious in recent times, make temper cool small
grin

You are right about the bolded. Make temper cool small.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 9:17am On Jan 06, 2018
terzurum5:

A valid question for our candid considerations Sir. I think this is another area we need to deliberate on seriously and make recommendations to the appropriate quarters.

What can we do to improve on poor spectators in our stands during matches?
cc: Komekn, Forgiveness, Safarigirl, TheGoodJoe, TheSuperNerd, Bascovanveli, Kog45, Dannycrusoe, Kennysville, LakeSidePapa, Orkpekyandega, tbaba1234, Joebie, joseph1013, Goldfish80, AIG07, Isahalbash, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, certitude, humility017, enomakos, Mikael2, petrobros, chrisoblog, loogan, do4luv14, icon79, maidaboi, Icon4s, lakesidepapa, goldfish80, Xzbit91, lexyman, ChrisKels, bigblangston, goke7, Chrismario, Daninya11, shawwal1, ganiyat2adeyeri, yemyke001, edi287, krattoss, eseose9, oasis007, jihday, tglobal, jars, Cheapgoals, mikron, elyte89, MilitaryCommander, kratoss, e.t.c

Friends, countrymen, Nairalanders,

The problem is a blend of myriad of problems which takes a lot of concerted effort on our part. Here is my analysis

1. Public re-orientation....... the entire populace need to understand that there is career in sports. Sports is now big business and should be treated as such. The idea of non partisan followership of the League in nigeria needs to be set aside and looked into wholistically. A lot of us on nairaland here only visit the stadium when Super Eagles are playing. Anything short is waste of time. Our old folks too didnt help matters. They didnt make us into die hard fans like they were in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even my dad who played soccer very well as an attacker never went to stadium to watch soccer. Reason? I may never know. And so it kinda trickled down to me. I cant say i went to watch IICC Shooting Stars at liberty stadium for once in my life. The change of name too also did much damage to the enthusiasm of fans. Thats how sentimental it was. Clubs need to be a thing of personal possession on the part of the fans. Another problem with nigeria soccer is in the mentality. Everyone wants to go to school and graduate and work in Oil company. I beta pass my neighbor lifestyle. Soccer too is a career. I am not scrapping the place of Education... dont get me wrong. Education is highly important because it increases ur intelligence on pitch. I dont have the time to prove this now

2. Soccer at grass root...... I remember the schools had Principals cup, State cup and so on. I am not sure those still go on. Even inter house sports where other high schools were invited seems to be a thing of the past. What happened to YSFON? Who are the folks in charge of these federations? Some clueless political appointee with no single background as to how to run organization of sports. Sports commissioners whose aim is to get into office and set aside development money for themselves. Whose sole ambition is how they may get to the senate seat.
Lets bring back the days of youth involvement in our sports. The NUGA games, even if possible, introduce Varsity League. You will see followership increase. But when students are still struggling to make desired GPA nko?

3. Outsourcing..... It is not a must that government should hold on to the maintenance and ownership of clubs. If they still want to retain that, they should outsource to management companies. Companies with solid pedigree in management consultancy services. They are to do research on how this things are done , the acceptable standards, running of club affairs and report back to the government with good details. It will still be a win win situation. This gives room to quality and committment

4. Sponsorship..... When quality comes to the fore, its not a difficult thing for corporate bodies to partner with clubs o sponsorships. But fact is no one wants to put money into a venture that more or less is a designated waste bin. There has to be a template that also takes care of the corporate investors/ sponsors.

5. Restructuring..... Crowd attraction and control policies need to be sort of integrated into all these setups. It is not a must that police should be engaged. We could empower our paramilitary institutions like Road Safety and Civil Defence Corps who practically do nothing and are only existing by name only. Empower them by arming them, give them military training so that everything doesnt depend on Police only.

In fact, these are the 2 needed institutions before police csn even get involve. Security and access controls should also be made available. Referee protection also is needed so as to give a balance and unbiased officiating in matches. Player welfare packages need to be in place as well. Players who couldnt finish schools should be made to go back to empower their minds even if it has to be distance learning. They should be taught on how to invest their earnings from time to time. Financial Seminars here and there would help reduce the number of broke players after their careers.

Another issue is broadcasting and broadcast rights. The number of mundane programmes screened on tv need to be reduced drastically. Programmes need to be the type that are directed at improving, enlightening and educating young minds to see the unlimited possibilities in Nigeria right under our noses. Which means if NTA need to broadcast a match and dont have the capacity large enough in a specified area, they can enlist the support of other TV stations to kind of Co broadcast. But we all know how this tends to play out. NTA go dey form 1st in Africa. I have more to say but others can also expand on this

6Accountability..... This one is the most controversial part of all. Players play so they can earn. Whether they lost is not a reason to withold their Salaries. Salaries need to be paid on time without any form of coercion or mass action in the way of players goin on strike.. accountability with respect to gate takings and club policies need to be spelt out clearly. Ther should be room for improvement on these points I have made so far.

Thank you all

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:17am On Jan 06, 2018
forgiveness:

If KC is not doing well in his club but he still gets the chance to play for the SE and 'performs', how do you know Kayode will not perform better in GWG if given the chance though he has not scored 'this' season since club performance is not the yardstick for call into D SE?
which Kayode? All the chances he got, wetin he use them do? Even Onyekuru and his 25 minutes cameo against Algeria has shown more promise than Kayode.

KC has earned his spot, he has passed the stage of 'give him a chance' in SE because he made use of his and became valuable.

Kayode has not done anything and he is fast running out of chances.

Kayode and Kelechi are not mates in Super Eagles, Kelechi na him senior brother. Let us compare Kayode with the likes of Nwakaeme, because they are in the same boat.

Kelechi's boat is with the likes of Iwobi and Awaziem, people wey hold ticket to Russia barring injuries

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:54am On Jan 06, 2018
kennysville:

Friends, countrymen, Nairalanders,

The problem is a blend of myriad of problems which takes a lot of concerted effort on our part. Here is my analysis

1. Public re-orientation....... the entire populace need to understand that there is career in sports. Sports is now big business and should be treated as such. The idea of non partisan followership of the League in nigeria needs to be set aside and looked into wholistically. A lot of us on nairaland here only visit the stadium when Super Eagles are playing. Anything short is waste of time. Our old folks too didnt help matters. They didnt make us into die hard fans like they were in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even my dad who played soccer very well as an attacker never went to stadium to watch soccer. Reason? I may never know. And so it kinda trickled down to me. I cant say i went to watch IICC Shooting Stars at liberty stadium for once in my life. The change of name too also did much damage to the enthusiasm of fans. Thats how sentimental it was. Clubs need to be a thing of personal possession on the part of the fans. Another problem with nigeria soccer is in the mentality. Everyone wants to go to school and graduate and work in Oil company. I beta pass my neighbor lifestyle. Soccer too is a career. I am not scrapping the place of Education... dont get me wrong. Education is highly important because it increases ur intelligence on pitch. I dont have the time to prove this now

2. Soccer at grass root...... I remember the schools had Principals cup, State cup and so on. I am not sure those still go on. Even inter house sports where other high schools were invited seems to be a thing of the past. What happened to YSFON? Who are the folks in charge of these federations? Some clueless political appointee with no single background as to how to run organization of sports. Sports commissioners whose aim is to get into office and set aside development money for themselves. Whose sole ambition is how they may get to the senate seat.
Lets bring back the days of youth involvement in our sports. The NUGA games, even if possible, introduce Varsity League. You will see followership increase. But when students are still struggling to make desired GPA nko?

3. Outsourcing..... It is not a must that government should hold on to the maintenance and ownership of clubs. If they still want to retain that, they should outsource to management companies. Companies with solid pedigree in management consultancy services. They are to do research on how this things are done , the acceptable standards, running of club affairs and report back to the government with good details. It will still be a win win situation. This gives room to quality and committment

4. Sponsorship..... When quality comes to the fore, its not a difficult thing for corporate bodies to partner with clubs o sponsorships. But fact is no one wants to put money into a venture that more or less is a designated waste bin. There has to be a template that also takes care of the corporate investors/ sponsors.

5. Restructuring..... Crowd attraction and control policies need to be sort of integrated into all these setups. It is not a must that police should be engaged. We could empower our paramilitary institutions like Road Safety and Civil Defence Corps who practically do nothing and are only existing by name only. Empower them by arming them, give them military training so that everything doesnt depend on Police only.

In fact, these are the 2 needed institutions before police csn even get involve. Security and access controls should also be made available. Referee protection also is needed so as to give a balance and unbiased officiating in matches. Player welfare packages need to be in place as well. Players who couldnt finish schools should be made to go back to empower their minds even if it has to be distance learning. They should be taught on how to invest their earnings from time to time. Financial Seminars here and there would help reduce the number of broke players after their careers.

Another issue is broadcasting and broadcast rights. The number of mundane programmes screened on tv need to be reduced drastically. Programmes need to be the type that are directed at improving, enlightening and educating young minds to see the unlimited possibilities in Nigeria right under our noses. Which means if NTA need to broadcast a match and dont have the capacity large enough in a specified area, they can enlist the support of other TV stations to kind of Co broadcast. But we all know how this tends to play out. NTA go dey form 1st in Africa. I have more to say but others can also expand on this

6Accountability..... This one is the most controversial part of all. Players play so they can earn. Whether they lost is not a reason to withold their Salaries. Salaries need to be paid on time without any form of coercion or mass action in the way of players goin on strike.. accountability with respect to gate takings and club policies need to be spelt out clearly. Ther should be room for improvement on these points I have made so far.

Thank you all
Honestly me and goldfish80 supposed sue you for plagiarism(joking)cos we have said this before but some believe it will never work especially your point number 2.Good point cos you nailed it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2518) (2519) (2520) (2521) (2522) (2523) (2524) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), immobilare(m), KpagoGIN(m), AndSunGorilla, komekn(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.