Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,399 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2523) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647576 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2520) (2521) (2522) (2523) (2524) (2525) (2526) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:37pm On Jan 06, 2018
komekn:

I am not laughing � don't know where you got that idea from.

If you want to propel yourself upwards in the EPL and create interest, the first cousin to the EPL is the Championship. If you can perform in the Championship you will create interest from the EPL maybe not from the top 6/7 teams but generally every body else.

The EPL requires a different type of skill set in addition to the basics of skill and technical ability. And that is strength speed and physical resilience. These attributes are seen in the Championship to a great extent as a result top performing players from the championship will find themselves in the EPL.

It is better to be a top performing player in the Championship than a dead bench warming one in the EPL.

The world cup will come and go but KC will still require his career to have progression and not stagnate. he may perform for Nigeria in Russia but will it be enough to propel his club career, I simply do not know

The Belgium and Dutch leagues are considerably lower than the EPL.Depends on how you want to assess it but using UEFA coefficient analysis which is weighted towards UEFA competition performance. See the link below. Which is not a figment of my imagination as some would have you think.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

If we use this as base line data we would find some clubs in Belgium ranked 70 places below teams in the EPL. But that doesn't tell the whole story. The Eredivisie has the highest goals per match ratio among all leagues in the top twenty of UEFA league rankings, that tells us something. Some clubs in the Eredivisie would be ranked over a 100 places below the some EPL clubs.

Put all the data together objectively then make an objective based projection devoid of emotive sentiment. You then discover that it would not be undue bias to rank European teams and or leagues below the top 6/7 UEFA ranked leagues on par or even below the Championship.

Tega Abrahams propelled himself into the EPL after being one of the top three goal scorers in the Championship. I will remind you that this is the same Bristol City that beat a star studded Manchester United in the cup. In this regard this would be an excellent move for KC as it's apparent he is not going to get much game time in Leicester any time soon.

So considering your early assertion do you think that the championship is below the Belgium and Dutch leagues. I will concede that I suspect that Belgium league may be possibly technically superior. But I am talking competitive superiority not technical.

I leave you to consider your earlier deductions from a standpoint of knowledge and objective appraisal. I am still not laughing.
My comment was for those of us who always castigates championship but if the loan deal is successful likely to hear different tone about championship

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:37pm On Jan 06, 2018
somehow:
All these are in place already. Home teams don't even pay ref directly, payment goes to the NRA, then NRA pays directly to the refs.

Minimum requirements for referee training? Officiating is still not very good, is it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:43pm On Jan 06, 2018
somehow:
Last season, we recorded up to 25 away wins, please do more research and change your orientation on the league

I follow the weekly results. 25 away wins in 380 games is atrocious.

The team with the largest number of away wins had 3 away wins. 3!!! That is ridiculous.

See, we can say there is improvement but we are far from it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:45pm On Jan 06, 2018
elyte89:
Iheanacho?bristol?.....D guy is finished! grin grin
Still a rumour,no is not finished but good for his career and WC cos we want him in good shape and only way is to play week in week out

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:53pm On Jan 06, 2018
Walter Mazzari's first match in charge of Torino ;

Joel Obi starts on the rMF in a 4-3-3 formation against Bologna (who has Orji Okonkwo on the bench).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2018
I listed that previously. Must be grade 1 and pass fitness test.

Officiating depends on the environment. I lost an uncle (a ref) in Ibadan in the 90s due to assaults on him by the home fan, so refs use their head when they know security is not guaranteed but places with enough security, they perform like their counterparts anywhere in the world.
tbaba1234:

Minimum requirements for referee training? Officiating is still not very good, is it?

I can't list all the training requirements here but medicals first, diet etc take the front burner.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:02pm On Jan 06, 2018
But you said home always win, 25 away wins is not eldorador but not bad either for a league with alot of issues.

Ubah want to ogun state or was it Ibadan to beat a home team 0:4.

Remember that most clubs are almost at par when it comes to quality, no much difference so don't expect clubs to always win away. You need to be better than your host to win away but they are mostly of same quality.
tbaba1234:

I follow the weekly results. 25 away wins in 380 games is atrocious.

The team with the largest number of away wins had 3 away wins. 3!!! That is ridiculous.

See, we can say there is improvement but we are far from it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:05pm On Jan 06, 2018
somehow:
I listed that previously. Must be grade 1 and pass fitness test.

Officiating depends on the environment. I lost an uncle (a ref) in Ibadan in the 90s due to assaults on him by the home fan, so refs use their head when they know security is not guaranteed but places with enough security, they perform like their counterparts anywhere in the world.

I can't list all the training requirements here but medicals first, diet etc take the front burner.

Sorry about the loss of your uncle.

Until officiating improves, it will be difficult to get the best team in the league because most teams just win at home by all means and get whatever they can away. We celebrate when we get a few away draws/wins in a week.

We still struggle to get Nigerian referees in international competitions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:09pm On Jan 06, 2018
Joel Obi out due to injury at 34 minutes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2018
somehow:
But you said home always win, 25 away wins is not eldorador but not bad either for a league with alot of issues.

Ubah want to ogun state or was it Ibadan to beat a home team 0:4.

Remember that most clubs are almost at par when it comes to quality, no much difference so don't expect clubs to always win away. You need to be better than your host to win away but they are mostly of same quality.

I do not agree that most teams are at par.. It is not true. There are always better teams

Some teams are much better than others. We just do not have a league that reflects that. I have never seen a league that awards so many last minute home penalties. The frequency is worrisome.

I believe that our league table is not reflective of who the best team is, because it is so hard to win away.

Granted, things have improved.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:13pm On Jan 06, 2018
Bursaspor Confirm Interest In Musa Loan Deal

Turkish club, Bursaspor, have confirmed they are in talks with Leicester City over a possible loan move for Nigeria winger, Ahmed Musa, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Musa has not featured for the Foxes in the English Premier League this season though he made the bench in the team’s 2-1 defeat against Liverpool last month.

His only appearance came in the Carabao Cup win at Sheffield United where he was on target once.

The 25-year-old is now seeking a move away from Leicester City to a club that will give him regular playing time in order to boost his chances of making Nigeria’s World Cup squad.

The Green and White who already have two Nigerian internationals in their ranks (William Troost-Ekong and Mikel Agu) can give Musa the chance to play regular football again.

“Ahmed Musa is a very influential player who will be able to add value and class to us,” Bursaspor’s representative, Hasan Parlakay stated during an interaction with the media.

“If we are realistic, we cannot buy him.

“But he wants to play with Nigeria in the World Cup. For this you have to keep playing and keep form in the league. We have players in our team from the same national team, Agu and Ekong.

“Wearing the Bursaspor shirt on loan until the end of the year is an attractive offer. We hope to give good news in the coming days.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/bursaspor-confirm-interest-musa-loan-deal/

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:15pm On Jan 06, 2018
somehow:
No club play in surulere not even first bank, union bank, ikorodu utd (moved to ogun stated), COD, Ebedei nor MFM.

Its a hypothetical proposition,sir.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:17pm On Jan 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

Turkish club, Bursaspor, have confirmed they are in talks with Leicester City over a possible loan move for Nigeria winger, Ahmed Musa, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Musa has not featured for the Foxes in the English Premier League this season though he made the bench in the team’s 2-1 defeat against Liverpool last month.

His only appearance came in the Carabao Cup win at Sheffield United where he was on target once.

The 25-year-old is now seeking a move away from Leicester City to a club that will give him regular playing time in order to boost his chances of making Nigeria’s World Cup squad.

The Green and White who already have two Nigerian internationals in their ranks (William Troost-Ekong and Mikel Agu) can give Musa the chance to play regular football again.

“Ahmed Musa is a very influential player who will be able to add value and class to us,” Bursaspor’s representative, Hasan Parlakay stated during an interaction with the media.

“But he wants to play with Nigeria in the World Cup. For this you have to keep playing and keep form in the league. We have players in our team from the same national team, Agu and Ekong.

“Wearing the Bursaspor shirt on loan until the end of the year is an attractive offer. We hope to give good news in the coming days.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/bursaspor-confirm-interest-musa-loan-deal/

It seems the bonus and pay are really scary alot of clubs away...

Just hope thesame scenario won't be with nacho...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2018
nelszx:

Not again! Na plastic leg the guy carry ? About time to switch off on that guy until he can play a whole season without injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2018
Ex-Argentina Coach Basile Condemns Super Eagles Defence, Banks On Messi

Former Argentina coach Alfio Basile believes Nigeria will be tough opponents for the Albiceleste at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia but insisted that his countrymen can take advantage of what he perceived a weak defence to earn a win against the Africans.

The South Americans are Group D along with Nigeria, Croatia and debutants Iceland.

They will face the Super Eagles in their last group game on June 20 at the Krestovsky Stadium, St Petersburg

“I heard the coach from Iceland and I thought he was very smart but we cannot be afraid of Iceland, the Nigerians are very good, but their defenders are not good enough,” Basile, who coached Argentina between 1991 and 1994, told Ole.com.ar.

Basile, 74 also spoke about the importance of Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero to the team.

“If the ten is good, we can beat anyone, if Messi is not, we are a team of the bunch,” he said.

“At this moment Agüero is indisputable, Manchester City have a great team”.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ex-argentina-coach-basile-condemns-super-eagles-defence-banks-messi/#comment-87092
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2018
nelszx:

It seems this guy is not going to WC he can be a shot one to anyteam...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:19pm On Jan 06, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Not again! Na plastic leg the guy carry ? About time to switch off on that guy until he can play a whole season without injury.
When talking about the coming World Cup, this guy's name isnt fit to be mentioned at all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
When talking about the World Cup, this guy's name should be mentioned.

Better leave the guy o... How can coach plan with someone that is not sure...

What is the real problem... Maybe he should change his doctor entirely and get new medical personnel for himself ... Just keep wondering Abi Nah village people ni?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:30pm On Jan 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Ex-Argentina Coach Basile Condemns Super Eagles Defence, Banks On Messi

Former Argentina coach Alfio Basile believes Nigeria will be tough opponents for the Albiceleste at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia but insisted that his countrymen can take advantage of what he perceived a weak defence to earn a win against the Africans.

The South Americans are Group D along with Nigeria, Croatia and debutants Iceland.

They will face the Super Eagles in their last group game on June 20 at the Krestovsky Stadium, St Petersburg

“I heard the coach from Iceland and I thought he was very smart but we cannot be afraid of Iceland, the Nigerians are very good, but their defenders are not good enough,” Basile, who coached Argentina between 1991 and 1994, told Ole.com.ar.

Basile, 74 also spoke about the importance of Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero to the team.

“If the ten is good, we can beat anyone, if Messi is not, we are a team of the bunch,” he said.

“At this moment Agüero is indisputable, Manchester City have a great team”.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ex-argentina-coach-basile-condemns-super-eagles-defence-banks-messi/#comment-87092

What are these guys smoking sef...Sloppy Akpeyi gifted them a goal and we were experimenting with a new formation and an out of form Balogun and still end up whooping you guys 4 goals to 2 without some of our top players just like you were not with Messi. I have a feeling these guys are trying to pull a revise psychology on us....lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:32pm On Jan 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

I do not agree that most teams are at par.. It is not true. There are always better teams

Some teams are much better than others. We just do not have a league that reflects that. I have never seen a league that awards so many last minute home penalties. The frequency is worrisome.

I believe that our league table is not reflective of who the best team is, because it is so hard to win away.

Granted, things have improved.

Please name how many outstanding clubs that should be winning away in the league and lets compare their comparative advantage over their opponents.

Maybe you still think name win games in NPFL. if Plateau United could win the league last season and a league winner could go on relegation a season after, then what exactly makes any club superior over the rest. we have like 2-3 above average clubs in the league but the rest are almost at par! (FACT)!

You're talking about last minute PK, yet someone else said the refs are too lenient, so which should we follow?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:37pm On Jan 06, 2018
Until security and attendance improves, you cant get the best from the refs, they are human and no one will risk his life for the league that Nigerians don't even care about.
Security for the ref
Crowd attendance should follow suit.

The refs aren't recognized abroad because of these Nigerian factors that has affected their fair performance. put them in a sane environment, see them perform well. i repeated this before. last season 3-5 of our refs were on the continent officiating both for CAF and for FIFA (CCL, ACL, WCQ and NCQ) matches.
tbaba1234:

Sorry about the loss of your uncle.

Until officiating improves, it will be difficult to get the best team in the league because most teams just win at home by all means and get whatever they can away. We celebrate when we get a few away draws/wins in a week.

We still struggle to get Nigerian referees in international competitions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:41pm On Jan 06, 2018
nelszx:

shebi this is what we said, it is not that he is not good enough to be invited, it is whether he will even be fit enough for the invitation.

His bones are made of glass
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liamm(m): 1:43pm On Jan 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

they made it look like they're doing Nigeria as a whole a favour. Good for Musa anyways
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 1:49pm On Jan 06, 2018
komekn:

You probably will not be suprised but I have some friends who, catch a flight Friday night from Lagos get into London in the morning watch Arsenal and fly back that night back to Lagos.

Sometimes they will fly into Manchester from London to watch Arsenal at away matches.

There is something truly perverse in that they probably do not know all the names of the local teams and will struggle to mention the names of up to 10 local league players.

Until we value our local league, appreciate and patronise it, this trend will not stop.

And for those who think I only watch all things English I went to watch Etebo when he was at Warri Wolves. And not on TV I sat in the Sun in Warri Township stadium. I didn't have s steak pie after the match but roasted bole.

if ppl do half of wat ur friends do to our local league I bet many things will change. u know how much a return ticket to UK is that alone can get u all the tickets fo all home games for up to 5 npfl clubs ides. but Nigerians love building somebody else's country.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 1:51pm On Jan 06, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

God bless you brother...

I was in adamasigba stadium now Obafemi awolowo Stadium... I can tell you... With 200 Naira you will see a game...
Not only that, do you alot of people generate alot of income from their sales... With drinks Jersey... Food books and all... It's a fun day whenever they is home game

Aside policemen on stand there are bouncers on ground to monitor the proceeding of the fans....

the passion x dere we need to water it and see it blossom

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:56pm On Jan 06, 2018
Which kind leg this guy bring come earth na wey just love injury so? embarassed sad
nelszx:

Is there nothing he can do naturally or medically? Van perse used to suffer alot from injury then it stopped all of a sudden, he should go consult some of these people.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:57pm On Jan 06, 2018
Thank you.
Danycrusoe:

if ppl do half of wat ur friends do to our local league I bet many things will change. u know how much a return ticket to UK is that alone can get u all the tickets fo all home games for up to 5 npfl clubs ides. but Nigerians love building somebody else's country.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:58pm On Jan 06, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

It seems this guy is not going to WC he can be a shot one to anyteam...
Definitely no coach would bank on Joel Obi in any tournament,though very good player but injury wise not reliable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:01pm On Jan 06, 2018
Ok sir.
OMANBALA1:

Its a hypothetical proposition,sir.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 2:06pm On Jan 06, 2018
Nacho, Ndidi on bench... Against Fleetwood
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 2:09pm On Jan 06, 2018
4 all who say there x too much of last minute penalties and it's a bad thing, please I'm asking should refs now not give genuine penalties cuz it's 90+?

last season I saw ifeanyi ubah come from behind to beat 3sc at home with 2 late penalties and both of the were legitimate ones in fact they should v scored if not 4 the gk brilliancy. the reason we complain about it x because we don't see the games on TV if we do many of our wrong perceptions will change.

in fact most away teams use it as an excuse to becloud their poor performances and ring up controversies that how some away fans (rangers) said the ref had a phone on the field of play and he received a call to favour the home team because Gombe scored 3 times to come from a 2-0 deficit to leaf 3-2 until rangers equalised with a last gasp free kick.

when the highlights were uploaded all the 3 goals the home team scored was legitimate and I don't there was a single pk in it. it was later discovered that rangers fans only made up the rumours and this was confirmed by journalists who saw the game live.

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1494210787297391&id=204176799634136&refid=7&_ft_=qid.6411511267388577384%3Amf_story_key.5261485862841790201%3Atop_level_post_id.1494210787297391

that link is the highlights of ifeanyi ubahs 2 goals in that game.

the Gombe v rangers game ended 3-3 the Link is on npfl page on youtube

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:14pm On Jan 06, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:
Nacho, Ndidi on bench... Against Fleetwood
I'm watching this match coz of Nacho but surprisedly is on the bench with Slimani starting,hope he gets his chance in the second half.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2520) (2521) (2522) (2523) (2524) (2525) (2526) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Silentgroper(m), AndSunGorilla, opes and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.