Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,991 members, 7,866,729 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:34 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2567) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11965094 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2564) (2565) (2566) (2567) (2568) (2569) (2570) ... (16378) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2018
It is true. Iwobi is being targeted by the Arsenal fans especially the Core Pro-English only fans. I read numerous articles of harsh and unfair criticism against the young man. Fans even calling for Wenger's head when he included Iwobi's name in the starting line up against Chelsea just recently.

One article went as far as calling Iwobi a devil incarnate. Another was like in reaction to seeing his name on the starting line up against Chelsea yesterday, "are you kidding me? we are screwed with him in the lineup!"

Anyone who don't believe it? I will post it here then....
but no need. I don't want to spread more of these hateful speeches.

Mehn the hate is real.... most of the arsenal fans are pissed with Iwobi and it clearly has nothing to do with his football because his football is just fine based on the last game and a couple of other games sef.

Silly Bunch of haters... is this what he gets for rejecting England perhaps? who knows?

TheGoodJoe:
I do not buy the whole expectation story. Iwobi was clearly targeted. Even other poor players did not get the kind of sticks he got thrown wat him. What made it even more annoying is the negative crew who rode the criticism of Iwobi like if it was a pony.

Every player have bad games, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar.

Chill with the negative attacks and also try to see the good contributions too. Not only negative.

Gerrit?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:56pm On Jan 11, 2018
Joebie:
I'm very clear about my approach. There is time for everything my friend. If we always go by objectivity, there will be no need to assess players by going to see them first hand -- that's subjectivity. There will be no need for clubs to send scouts to go and witness their targets actually play.. There will be no need to watch videos. Coaches will just sit back and recruit merely based on where the player plays, and if the player gets some game time.

Your form of objectivity is blind. It's one way. You need some balance my friend.

I am now at total loss as to what you are trying to convey, it is muddled and you are saying everything but saying nothing specifically.

Dud you read my contribution I do not think so.

Players assessment and selection will always reflect club requirements.

You will start of with your base data which are physical attributes, speed, jump rate, strength, stamina, etc

However, for established players those stats are already reflected and established on the field of play. For instance we already know Sane, Dembele, Mbappe have blistering pace.

The other things like decision making, passing range, ball control, goal ratios, skill sets, etc, etc. will be made from game observation. either live and or video footage.

For instance I send only footage clips of individual games not a mix of games into one video because it's easily contrived otherwise.

The next thing which you call subjective but us objective in my opinion. Is CONTEXT. Playing in a lower less competitive and intense league like the Eredivisie means scoring 20 goals can not be on par with scoring 20 goals in the EPL. That's not subjective bot objective.

The Bundesliga is almost a one league team for near two decades has been dominated by one team Bayern Munich. That leaves a big gulf between Bayern and every other team in the Bundesliga.

In the EPL you do not have that gap over the past two decades there have been about 5/6 teams jostling for superiority. That's the competitive outstanding quality of the EPL.

Then consider the Championship we have teams regularly beating EPL teams in the Cup games. In this regard it's informed projection to say that once you take out Bayern Munich the and consider the lower half of the Bundesliga they are not on par with the EPL.

My opinion is that the championship is on par with the lower half if not better than the lower half of the Bundesliga.

I take interest in English football and a perfunctory interest in European football. I did go to Germany, Spain, Belguim, Holland and Portugal to watch matches last year. But it's just now and again.

I don't have to watch every league and if I wanted too I simply do not have the time. To make myself balanced. I watched UEFA Champions league and cup competitions even the youth ones. So I am not singular and parochial in my view.

To give credence to my view I substantiated it with external authoritative reference points. So I am.not like you Self made up and self based analysis.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Xlad(m): 1:06pm On Jan 11, 2018
Iceland already winning Indonesia
1:0

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Xlad(m): 1:08pm On Jan 11, 2018
link

live2all.me/football/2375466/indonesia-vs-iceland-live/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 1:10pm On Jan 11, 2018
It seems like I'm the only one who doesn't think we need to prove anything to anyone with these friendlies. If anything it should just be to boost our players' confidence levels. I want us to win the friendlies but I also want us to go to the world cup as underdogs. I want us to catch them unawares. I want our opponents to look back to the world cup and say:if only we knew,we wouldn't have underrated them. I want complete annihilation. I want us to be the eagles in sheep clothing being led by a well deserving Alpha eagle in Mikel obi and trust me when I say : WE WILL SOAR ABOVE ALL.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 1:11pm On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
It is true. Iwobi is being targeted by the Arsenal fans especially the Core Pro-English only fans. I read numerous articles of harsh and unfair criticism against the young man. Fans even calling for Wenger's head when he included Iwobi's name in the starting line up against Chelsea just recently.

One article went as far as calling Iwobi a devil incarnate. Another was like in reaction to seeing his name on the starting line up against Chelsea yesterday, "are you kidding me? we are screwed with him in the lineup!"

Mehn the hate is real.... most of the arsenal fans are pissed with Iwobi and it clearly has nothing to do with his football because his football is just fine based on the last game and a couple of other games sef.

Silly Bunch of haters... is this what he gets for rejecting England perhaps? who knows?

TheGoodJoe:
I do not buy the whole expectation story. Iwobi was clearly targeted. Even other poor players did not get the kind of sticks he got thrown wat him. What made it even more annoying is the negative crew who rode the criticism of Iwobi like if it was a pony.

Every player have bad games, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar.

Chill with the negative attacks and also try to see the good contributions too. Not only negative.

Gerrit?

The hate is real brethen.

I logged in on facebook this morning and navigated straight to Arsenal fan page because of this issue (something I wouldn't have done on a normal circumstance). Most of them were calling for his head. I some patriotic Nigerians were defending there own though they were outnumbered.

Most of them have nothing on him accept the poor first touch he had at second half. Now if they have to overlook his contribution in yesterday's match only to focus on that first touch proves that most of them are out t for an anti Iwobi campaign. Lacazette and Wilshere had a not so good performance yesterday from what I gathered,Iwobi got a better ratings than most of his teammates in that match but Nobody is talking about that.

I feel most of them are not really true Arsenal fans but rather English fans who are out to break his confidence for choosing Nigeria over England angry

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:31pm On Jan 11, 2018
wayodude:

Trust me I want us to do well BUT I feel we think we are better than we are. Many I have met here in London are already boasting about beating England. I wont get drawn on if we can win or not, no need for that. On paper are we stronger than England? Not being negative but just trying to give us a dose of reality, even this dose may not work.
I th ink you're the one underestimating the team. This team has improved a great deal, with alot of potentials. It's an obvious fact that the world is aware of ( nobody is saying they are now one of the favorites to win the WC). Slotting four goals past the Albaceleste from two goals down is not a piece of cake. That is not something an average team can achieve.

Just take a look at how we qualified for the WC. It took everyone by surprise. The team has finally found an indisputably talented freekick taker. Something we have been lacking since the time of Jay Jay. We now have hope for a goal once again when we have a close range freekick in a match. Take a look at the defence too, they hardly concede up to two goals. There are several other qualities that this team has acquired that has been lacking for a very long time.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:50pm On Jan 11, 2018
somehow:
Wether they will come or not is not the issue here, the issue is : 'Can he pay foreign players'?. If he can own that club, then he can pay them or is he not already paying them there?

Willing to come is another issue entirely, not this "we can't pay them excuse" you gave at first.

He's capable of paying them in Nigeria if he's already doing that in Portugal!

Your argument self, I no understand.

You are missing the point. A player earning 500 dollars a week in portugal will not come to Nigeria and earn the same amount. He will only do so if his pay is increased significantly. That is the only incentive that you can offer them to come.

This means the club owner will have to increase his wage bill if he wants to bring players here. Players that will not be worth that much in portugal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:02pm On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

I think, there is just a lot of negativity surrounding Arsenal fans and it is borne out of frustration. They are just looking for the next player to bring down with negativity.

I kid you not, i have watched games where Iwobi was obviously Arsenal's best player on the pitch and he still gets terrible criticism.

I say this as an Arsenal fan too. Too much negativity surrounding the club.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 2:23pm On Jan 11, 2018
Xlad:
Iceland already winning Indonesia
1:0
Keep updating us....How do they play? Are they physical and strong as we read.
BTW the opposition is quite a weak one

Modified: Indonesia 0-4 Iceland (76 minutes)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2018
nelszx:

Keep updating us....Hows do they play? Are they physical and strong as we read.
BTW the opposition is quite a weak one

Modified: Indonesia 0-4 Iceland (76 minutes)

Bros na 6 : 0 now, dem even missed a penalty

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I don't see much wrong with buying a mansion. Who is to say he doesn't sell it for profit down the line.
He can spend his money how he wants honestly.
Don't mind them, its clearly a Nigerian mentality to acquire property as investment which looks weird to Europeans who wouldn't consider such at that age.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 2:43pm On Jan 11, 2018
mazimee:

They want to spell Indonesia oo
See all the -son scoring goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:53pm On Jan 11, 2018
nelszx:

reminds me of when we knacked Tahiti 6-0 grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 2:56pm On Jan 11, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I th ink you're the one underestimating the team. This team has improved a great deal, with alot of potentials. It's an obvious fact that the world is aware of ( nobody is saying they are now one of the favorites to win the WC). Slotting four goals past the Albaceleste from two goals down is not a piece of cake. That is not something an average team can achieve.

Just take a look at how we qualified for the WC. It took everyone by surprise. The team has finally found an indisputably talented freekick taker. Something we have been lacking since the time of Jay Jay. We now have hope for a goal once again when we have a close range freekick in a match. Take a look at the defence too, they hardly concede up to two goals. There are several other qualities that this team has acquired that has been lacking for a very long time.

Okay, so why has someone on here described my 23 man list as pathetic and more people are in agreement with that view than not. Are those not amongst the best players we have? Who did I miss out ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liamm(m): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2018
mank1234:

Arsenal fans have succeeded in eroding his confidence cos of negative criticism. They keep reminding him how he hasn't scored and how he made them loose games as if they always win when he doesn't play. That's the explanation.
Exactly. They do not know that the net effect of their unruly criticism will be counter productive. I'm beginning to believe they're just being harsh cos Iwobi chose NIG over ENG.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 3:00pm On Jan 11, 2018
safarigirl:
reminds me of when we knacked Tahiti 6-0 grin

6 - 1 wink even piss poor Oduamadi had a hat-trick cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:20pm On Jan 11, 2018
komekn:

I can assure you there will be at least 44,000 Nigerian origin fans trying to get tickets. Add all the other West Africans and the rest of Africa who will adopt Nigeria.

Getting tickets willl be problematic.

Wembley will be full.
wembley?i though the match is at elland road?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:27pm On Jan 11, 2018
Ours with England is at Wembley.

England vs Costa Rica is billed for Elland road, Leeds five days after ours.

enomakos:
wembley?i though the match is at elland road?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:29pm On Jan 11, 2018
The "-Sons" of Iceland cheesy Let them shine... we will be waiting for them in Mikel's inlaws' compound in Russia. grin

nelszx:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:42pm On Jan 11, 2018
wayodude:

Trust me I want us to do well BUT I feel we think we are better than we are. Many I have met here in London are already boasting about beating England. I wont get drawn on if we can win or not, no need for that. On paper are we stronger than England? Not being negative but just trying to give us a dose of reality, even this dose may not work.

On paper England are a far better side.

But I have said here before, one of the major strengths of our team is its unpredictability.

If the players can bring their "A" game we will beat England. The problem with most of our sides is we do not usually play to our full potentials.

A good number of our players have either played or are currently playing in England and we are going to see an Eagles team that will play as if they are at home.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:44pm On Jan 11, 2018
Icon4s:

Nothing to inspire excitement.

Even though i am not inspired I will definitely watch all the matches including those of the other countries, like I always do.

They should just package that Nura into the next U17. I hope he passes the MRI though. I am only inspired to watch the upcoming young players. But for all those Osas Okoro, Rabiu Ali and the likes we don see them finish.

i agreed with you on nura mohammed,that small boy shall be sent to the eaglets
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:46pm On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Ours with England is at Wembley.
England vs Costa Rica is billed for Elland road, Leeds five days after ours.
thanks for the correction man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2018
COOL10:
It seems like I'm the only one who doesn't think we need to prove anything to anyone with these friendlies. If anything it should just be to boost our players' confidence levels. I want us to win the friendlies but I also want us to go to the world cup as underdogs. I want us to catch them unawares. I want our opponents to look back to the world cup and say:if only we knew,we wouldn't have underrated them. I want complete annihilation. I want us to be the eagles in sheep clothing being led by a well deserving Alpha eagle in Mikel obi and trust me when I say : WE WILL SOAR ABOVE ALL.

Nigeria already has a track record of beating European teams in World Cups. Even if we lose all our friendlies they will still not underrate us. Spain suffered from this at France '98.

Talking about boosting of confidence. The boosting of the confidence will definitely come with the wins.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2018
The England that I watched against France is very technical and disciplined. In fact , I was surprised. That team will shock a lot of people who has always underrated the team because this is definitely a better England side than the last world cup. A lot of their players are in terrific form, Kane, Raheem etc. Nigeria is not gonna have it easy with the team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:56pm On Jan 11, 2018
Did anybody watch the CHAN Eagles friendly with Cameroon ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:57pm On Jan 11, 2018
wayodude:

Okay, so why has someone on here described my 23 man list as pathetic and more people are in agreement with that view than not. Are those not amongst the best players we have? Who did I miss out ?
Of course not everyone would have mutual choice of the 23-man list. But 80 percent of the players undoubtedly deserve to make the list. And they surely will barring injuries. Except these players:

Kayode
Onyekuru
Omeruo
Nwakaeme
Agu
Echejile
Aina
Idowu
Etebo
And all the current goalkeepers except Ezenwa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:00pm On Jan 11, 2018
That English side disciplined? I watched that game ooo.. France and especially Ousmane Dembele tore them apart limb from limb. cheesy

The English back line will face fire and brimstones against our fast paced attack because they suffered same hellish experience against France with Mbappe and Dembele running rings around them.

England is good no doubt. Bright individual talents abound but I can boldly say this time that between the two sides, Nigeria has "The Team" wink

OMANBALA1:
The England that I watched against France is very technical and disciplined. In fact , I was surprised. That team will shock a lot of people who has always underrated the team because this is definitely a better England side than the last world cup. A lot of their players are in terrific form, Kane, Raheem etc. Nigeria is not gonna have it easy with the team

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

The "-Sons" of Iceland cheesy Let them shine... we will be waiting for them in Mikel's inlaws' compound in Russia. grin

Did Iceland just play a match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2018
Yes Sir Metallic. It appears so but it is outside the FIFA window. Even Sweden is billed to play Denmark later today.

MetalJigsaw:
Did Iceland just play a match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2018
You welcome Noble Elder Sir... smiley

enomakos:
thanks for the correction man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:14pm On Jan 11, 2018
mazimee:

Dem don see amateurs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2564) (2565) (2566) (2567) (2568) (2569) (2570) ... (16378) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Abusule007 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.