Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,727 members, 7,862,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 02:09 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2565) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11939686 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2562) (2563) (2564) (2565) (2566) (2567) (2568) ... (16350) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:46am On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Mehn.. that 16 yr old sef.. Nura Mohammed. What position does he play exactly? As for Gabriel Okechukwu, I think the team needs to pray fervently over his feet so that he converts the chances that falls to him into goals. Haba! How come na him wey all those chances dey fall for steadily sef? angry

I think Nura plays as a winger. This is the one good thing about Gabriel, he gets into great positions, he just lacks that extra composure in front of goal. No lie I have witnessed this guy miss an empty net, I know it can happen to anybody but why must it always be his story?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:08am On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Gareth Southgate on securing the Nigeria and Costa Rica friendlies:

"We've mostly played European opposition up to now and the Brazil game acted as a reminder that we need to challenge ourselves in different ways as a team.
"We're going into a World Cup where we will play African and Central American opposition so we get that with the games against Nigeria and Costa Rica.
"But it's not just about the games we've got in the group stages, but hopefully beyond that as well. We want to expose the team to different styles and different experiences."

Good point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:20am On Jan 11, 2018
Mujtahida:

I don tell you: this scepticism is a drug some take to stay high.
Used to worry me but not so much again.

Bwuaahaahahahahahahaha.... cheesy grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:24am On Jan 11, 2018
Nura a winger. Okay thanks.

Abeg salisu and Gabriel Berra sort this mata out oooo.. He gets into goalscoring positions and almost always flunks... Haba!!! So you don seem miss empty net before sef... Why always Gabe??! Why? angry He needs a psychologist oooo... This is too much.

BascoVanVeli:

I think Nura plays as a winger. This is the one good thing about Gabriel, he gets into great positions, he just lacks that extra composure in front of goal. No lie I have witnessed this guy miss an empty net, I know it can happen to anybody but why must it always be his story?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by congo4ka: 3:20am On Jan 11, 2018
komekn:

It's DEFINITELY NOT A RUMOUR.

I can assure you 100% I was aware of negotiations as far back as two months ago.

What I haven't done is confirmed specific dates and venue.

But to deviate slightly will the SE be camped in Kaliningrad for a few days before the game. Or what hotel they will be in So I can book before the hotel gets over booked.

It's seems easier to go to Lithuania then connect Kaliningrad by rental car or train. Finally Anybody else going

I go like go Russia but the exchange rate is not smiling my brother embarassed

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:02am On Jan 11, 2018
I do not know if this was shared here.

A fresh challenge

City youngster Chidi Nwakali has agreed a loan deal at Aberdeen, subject to a work permit.

The 21-year-old Nigerian midfielder, who recently had a loan spell with Norwegian side Sogndal Fotball, will join the Dons until the end of season.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes is pleased to see the deal for Chidi get over the line.

“Manchester City have been very keen for Chidi to get some competitive game time and it’s a deal we’ve been working on for a couple of months now, so I am delighted to welcome Chidi to the club.
I’m sure he will be a positive addition to our squad.”

Chidi is hoping to force his way in to the Nigerian World Cup squad, which could mean he would come up against fellow Don, Kari Arnason, who hopes to be in the Icelandic team.
Chidi has joined the squad in Dubai and will train with his new teammates this afternoon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liamm(m): 4:13am On Jan 11, 2018
I'm a critic of Iwobi too but the performance he put out yesterday underscores the saying that indeed " form is temporary and class is permanent"(borrowed). He was only let down a couple times by his end product after completing a successful take-on. Something we barely witness when he's clad in the GWG. I reckon it's lack of understanding on the part of his teammates at club level
goldfish80:

Really? I hope what you're saying is true. I'm not watching the game but I will verify your assertion from non partisan and neutral observers.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:14am On Jan 11, 2018
Bristol City Boss Lee Johnson told reporters:

“Pep Guardiola said to me that we played better than most of the Premier League teams that come to Man City.
“We will take an awful lot from it and learn a lot. It is not over. It will be an interesting game at Ashton Gate.
“I’m proud of the football club tonight. It’s half-time, we’re still in the tie.
“I thoroughly enjoyed it. The buzz continues and the build-up to the game will be very exciting.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:13am On Jan 11, 2018
Liamm:
I'm a critic of Iwobi too but the performance he put out yesterday underscores the saying that indeed " form is temporary and class is permanent"(borrowed). He was only let down a couple times by his end product after completing a successful take-on. Something we barely witness when he's clad in the GWG. I reckon it's lack of understanding on the part of his teammates at club level

I have to agree with you. He had a very decent game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:35am On Jan 11, 2018
congo4ka:

I go like go Russia but the exchange rate is not smiling my brother embarassed

D exchange rate/bank acct is pointing you to ondo state not Russia grin grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:42am On Jan 11, 2018
On Iwobi and unfair Arsenal fans

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:45am On Jan 11, 2018
More on Iwobi..

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:56am On Jan 11, 2018
Liamm:

Correct bro.

If it is in you, it is in you.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 6:28am On Jan 11, 2018
tbaba1234:
On Iwobi and unfair Arsenal fans

I'm not an arsenal fan but I watched the game. I was also surprised when people on this forum said he played woefully. I almost thought I'm bad in watching football because what they said contradicted what I saw. Asides Nelson, he was the best arsenal player on the pitch. Walcott and Wellbeck were however poor.

Going forward Iwobi was excellent but defensively he was very poor.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 6:32am On Jan 11, 2018
Liamm:

Arsenal fans have succeeded in eroding his confidence cos of negative criticism. They keep reminding him how he hasn't scored and how he made them loose games as if they always win when he doesn't play. That's the explanation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:35am On Jan 11, 2018
mank1234:

I'm not an arsenal fan but I watched the game. I was also surprised when people on this forum said he played woefully. I almost thought I'm bad in watching football because what they said contradicted what I saw. Asides Nelson, he was the best arsenal player on the pitch. Walcott and Wellbeck were however poor.

Going forward Iwobi was excellent but defensively he was very poor.
on the forum as in on the Chelsea vs Arsenal thread?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 6:42am On Jan 11, 2018
safarigirl:
on the forum as in on the Chelsea vs Arsenal thread?

This very thread.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:47am On Jan 11, 2018
mank1234:

This very thread.
who said he was woeful on this thread? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 7:06am On Jan 11, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Nura a winger. Okay thanks.

Abeg salisu and Gabriel Berra sort this mata out oooo.. He gets into goalscoring positions and almost always flunks... Haba!!! So you don seem miss empty net before sef... Why always Gabe??! Why? angry He needs a psychologist oooo... This is too much.

ri

Lol...But that is a problem most strikers in the local league have. Very skillful, technical and strong but very annoyingly wasteful in the final third. Even Ahmed Musa has that wastefulness disease but can be very exceptional once in a while.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:18am On Jan 11, 2018
safarigirl:
who said he was woeful on this thread? undecided

See one of them above me ^^^^^ : Omanbala1.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:24am On Jan 11, 2018
haha just a few days ago somebody was already predicting we will take a rusty Iwobi to Russia.. haha.. and guess who played just yesterday?
See prayers!

safarigirl:

What is your definition of in form?

I thought the initial argument is whether our players are playing regularly or not, now it is whether they are in form or not.

This is how many months to World Cup? And you have already concluded we are not taking in form players to the tournament, pesin no fit pick form by March and even lose form in May? So, which one is we are not taking in form players to World Cup? Is this the new narrative? undecided

Abeg, make una no dey blindside us with these funny arguments. Na so una talk last year say we go lose to Cameroon because our team does not have the chemistry Cameroon has after playing AFCON together, and what did we say that time? The match is still months away.

This your argument about who is in form for World Cup is quite premature to be honest

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 7:26am On Jan 11, 2018
Icon4s:

I didnt watch the match, so I couldnt have given verdict.

However, I feel Iwobi is going through some rough patch and I hope he comes out of it a better player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:28am On Jan 11, 2018
Icon4s:

lol, Omanbala? Omanbala is an extremist, everything he says is either very good or very bad grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 7:32am On Jan 11, 2018
safarigirl:
lol, Omanbala? Omanbala is an extremist, everything he says is either very good or very bad grin

More like a realist. I say it like it is ,no sugarcoating. But I agree I am a bit stern,very stern and a disciplinarian.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:34am On Jan 11, 2018
OMANBALA1:

I didnt watch the match, so I couldnt have given verdict.

However, I feel Iwobi is going through some rough patch and I hope he comes out of it a better player.

Yeah, it happens to about every star player.

As a young player some errors are forgiven or over looked but as the player develops it will get to a stage where one error becomes too many. That is the stage Alex is in now.

He really has to buckle up. The fans know the stuff he is made of which is why so much is expected of him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:35am On Jan 11, 2018
OMANBALA1:

More like a realist. I say it like it is ,no sugarcoating. But I agree I am a bit stern,very stern and a disciplinarian.
it reflects
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:35am On Jan 11, 2018
safarigirl:

Hahaha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:38am On Jan 11, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Hahaha I recall the day you wanted to kill someone on this thread.

I presume you didn't really mean those things u wrote.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:42am On Jan 11, 2018
ANALYSIS

Is Josh Onomah facing an identity crisis at Aston Villa?
by Jack Nason 6 days ago Follow @nasonwrites

Young players are often sent out on loan to gain experience and develop raw footballing talents. After a successful summer in the England set-up, Josh Onomah came to Aston Villa in order to do just that.
The start of the Championship campaign allowed the Tottenham-loanee to express himself amongst Steve Bruce’s side and he impressed. Subsequently, attention turned to the youngster’s future beyond this season. Since then, his form has been indifferent and his future remains uncertain. Has Onomah spiralled into a confusion over his playing career whilst at Villa?

Bit harsh- the kid’s only 20?
It is a very fair point. Personally, I was quite impressed with Onomah’s performance at the beginning of the season. WhoScored award him an average rating of 6.69 for his Championship appearances. Meanwhile, the player has contributed four goals and an assist during his time at the club. Key goals against Bristol City and Sunderland ensured that Aston Villa saved and won points. At the same time, the player seems to have frustrated certain Villa fans with his performances:

The Villa Villain @UTV31. So we've been linked to a young 21yr old midfielder from @LFC Grujic ? Please Bruce no more kids from other clubs use our own and send Onomah back to @SpursOfficial as he's a bag of nuts you think he's good you must watch a different game to me #avfc

Conversely, there are others who believe that Steve Bruce is not utilising Onomah in the correct way. Whilst the Villa boss has positioned him further forward in the number ten role, others believe he is better suited to a deeper role.

GIGGS SHARMA @GiggsSharma. Onomah is getting a lot of flack at the moment- he Isn't a no10- he is a CDM- he was player of the tournament for England u20 when we won the World Cup and bossed games playing CDM- we should drop whelan and play him in his proper position

The fans are confused? What must be going around the player’s head?
As alluded to above, there is an argument that too much is going through the player’s head. Onomah hit his most consistent form in November, according to WhoScored. At that time, talk began to turn to the future. Would Onomah remain at the club in the long-term?

The player provided the answer himself to the Birmingham Mail, with an article posted on 22nd November. Within the article, the twenty-year-old made his intentions clear: he wanted to help Villa achieve promotion before returning to his parent club. Thereafter, many feel that the player’s form has dipped. A notably poor performance occurred against Leeds United.

As a youngster, it is natural that such games will happen. Ability is not the issue that has led to Onomah’s dip in form, but uncertainty could definitely have contributed.

Meanwhile, supporters of Tottenham Hotspur have also been discussing the player:

*As a disclaimer for the following paragraph, none of the opinions expressed by supporters can be regarded as completely authentic. However, the ideas are definitely worth speculating about.*

A Spurs forum, www.spurscommunity.co.uk, held an intriguing discussion about Onomah yesterday evening. One fan, who claimed very tenuous links to the player, argued that the youngster is unhappy with his advanced position. He also alleges that the player had previously been frustrated by his treatment by Mauricio Pochettino. In addition, there are also suggestions made that Aston Villa have offered him a permanent deal.

Pressure On Young Shoulders
Although an interesting read, the forum is by no means an acceptable source to report. Nonetheless, there are elements of truth in the post upon which speculation could rise. It is true that rather than the number ten role that Onomah has occupied for Villa, he played in a deeper-lying position during the Under-20 World Cup last summer. Therefore, one may understand a sense of frustration if positioning is an issue for Onomah.

Furthermore, the player may be conflicted over the club at which his development can be best carried out. Clearly, the player wishes to return to Spurs after completing his loan stint at B6. However, other players such as Harry Winks have emerged during his absence.

Winks has also occupied the deeper-lying role that fans suspect Onomah prefers. Therefore, the Villa-loanee must be even more desperate to impress before he returns.

This is a situation made even more complicated by the resurgence of Aston Villa’s own Jack Grealish. His recent good form could well halt Onomah’s return to the starting eleven following the loanee’s concussion at Middlesbrough. Compounded by an array of midfield options, the Tottenham youngster may have to be patient to obtain another chance at impressing.

Patience From Player And Fans
Both Onomah and the Villa faithful must be patient. The loanee’s impressive performances at the beginning of the season must be taken into account. As above, the slight lull in consistency following the Birmingham Mail article owes itself to uncertainty rather than a lack of ability.

A lot goes around the mind of a twenty-year-old, whether they are a student or a future star football player. If there is any truth in the Spurs’ forum post, the player must await his time. Let us not kid ourselves either, Onomah will be a very good player in a few years time. Onomah just needs nurturing.

Those who argue that we should be supporting our own youngsters have a decent point, but the season is still long and our depth may be our strength. There’s a lot more to come from Onomah yet!

--ClaretVillans . com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 11, 2018
sometimes it's not easy for these coaches oooo. .
if Wenger was a jittery kinda coach, he would have bowed to criticism in his players a long time ago, but reverse is the case...maybe just like mourinho said, HE HAS THE SAFEST JOB ON THE PLANET grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:46am On Jan 11, 2018
krattoss:
sometimes it's not easy for these coaches oooo. .
if Wenger was a jittery kinda coach, he would have bowed to criticism in his players a long time ago, but reverse is the case...maybe just like mourinho said, HE HAS THE SAFEST JOB ON THE PLANET grin

It is called Believe.

If you believe in the abilities of certain players no matter what you will be unshaken.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:47am On Jan 11, 2018
grin
lol your tongue no get sugar coat oh..

safarigirl:

(1) (2) (3) ... (2562) (2563) (2564) (2565) (2566) (2567) (2568) ... (16350) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins, robosky02(m), EEGA, Mujtahida, mank1234(m), Goke7 and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.