Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11685052 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (16155) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Speaking of Algeria's regulars, there'll be No El-hilel Soudani, no Ryad Boudebouz and now.... No Faouzi Ghoulam. I earlier reported he was 50-50..... Na wa oooo...... Meanwhile, the called-up Yaccine Benzia is a very good player. He stars for Lille. Bennaccer is of Arsenal.

ALGERIA SUFFER ANOTHER INJURY BLOW
AFTER NAPOLI ACE GHOULAM OPTS OUT

Napoli and Algeria defender Faouzi Ghoulam has
been ruled out of Saturday’s World Cup qualifier
in Nigeria after he suffered a groin injury.

Twenty-five-year-old left back Ghoulam has been an injury concern and now it has been
announced he is out of the clash in Uyo and will
not be on the flight to Nigeria on Thursday.

Ghoulam’s withdrawal has made it increasingly
difficult for coach Georges Leekens to line up a
formidable after three top players were also lost to injuries earlier this week.

Midfielders Rachid Ghezzal and Ryad Boudebouz
as well as striker Hilal Soudani opted out of the
World Cup qualifier in Nigeria on account of
injury.

Ghezzal and Boudebouz were examined by Algeria team doctors before they were excused from the training camp, while Dynamo Zagreb striker Soudani did not even fly down to Algiers.

They have since been replaced by Baghdad
Bounedjah, Yassine Benzia and Ismael Bennacer.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/662802/Algeria-suffer-another-injury-blow-after-Napoli-ace-Ghoulam-opts-out
no no no.. its no more funny...
I mean I need that match to be a cracker so the nff can sell some TV rights across Africa and the world...

no more injuries to the Algerians please...
not like we are that coward...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:01pm On Nov 09, 2016
Loooolll.... What's all this kwanu? Y'all should just calm down... Lolll

safarigirl:
the same way closet tribalists came out of their cave after Buhari's win and were preaching a genocide against the Igbo race?

Maybe there will be incidences in redneck populated areas, but just like I said, hardly as bad as most of you are predicting it. Last last, shey you get your Nigerian passport?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:09pm On Nov 09, 2016
My brother.... I'm with you on this ooo.... Haba!

The Algerians don dey vex me since with Soudani's and Boudebouz's injuries.... Now Ghoulam don commot.

Which way naa?? I smell chickening out Joor....

Well, that's minus three solid regulars (Soudani, Boudebouz and Ghoulam) for them. Ghezzal is not really a regular but a key sub in their squad.

To replace Boudebouz in midfield, they still have Bentaleb Nabil who may pair with Taider in a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1.

Ghezzal was always gonna play second fiddle to Feghouli. And Soudani's absence may give room for Benzia to partner Slimani in attack if they go with two upfront or Benzia will start from the bench with Slimani starting in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 with Mahrez and Brahimi/Guediora from the flanks.

krattoss:
no no no.. its no more funny...
I mean I need that match to be a cracker so the nff can sell some TV rights across Africa and the world...

no more injuries to the Algerians please...
not like we are that coward...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:01pm On Nov 09, 2016
safarigirl:
the same way closet tribalists came out of their cave after Buhari's win and were preaching a genocide against the Igbo race?

Maybe there will be incidences in redneck populated areas, but just like I said, hardly as bad as most of you are predicting it. Last last, shey you get your Nigerian passport?

It is not comparable.

In Nigeria, there is tribalism from every tribe and it started even before Buhari was elected.

Trump lost amongst every race but White. He was elected by white people essentially.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:12pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
My brother.... I'm with you on this ooo.... Haba!

The Algerians don dey vex me since with Soudani's and Boudebouz's injuries.... Now Ghoulam don commot.

Which way naa?? I smell chickening out Joor....

Well, that's minus three solid regulars (Soudani, Boudebouz and Ghoulam) for them. Ghezzal is not really a regular but a key sub in their squad.

To replace Boudebouz in midfield, they still have Bentaleb Nabil who may pair with Taider in a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1.

Ghezzal was always gonna play second fiddle to Feghouli. And Soudani's absence may give room for Benzia to partner Slimani in attack if they go with two upfront or Benzia will start from the bench with Slimani starting in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 with Mahrez and Brahimi/Guediora from the flanks.

Big names mean nothing, Algeria still has enough players. We need to expect the best from Algeria we can't take them for granted. This is not going to be easy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pelvicky(m): 6:31pm On Nov 09, 2016
On no account should omeruo be caught one on one with mahrez

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:52pm On Nov 09, 2016
*Sighs*
hmmm...
*takes in a deep breath*

I'm already anticipating how d smell (aroma) of a roasted Algeria team will climb up d stadium diffusing round d nation therefore leaving Nigerians to no other option dan to savour for more.

Etebo-Nacho combo gotta be lethal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:04pm On Nov 09, 2016
Isnt that what the post you quoted tried to still point out....?

BascoVanVeli:

Big names mean nothing, Algeria still has enough players. We need to expect the best from Algeria we can't take them for granted. This is not going to be easy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:08pm On Nov 09, 2016
What!!!?
Wait a moment...
What am I seeing?
Threads on how to get NigvsAlg matchday ticket on nairaland sport section?

Can somebody explain this?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 09, 2016
pelvicky:
On no account should omeruo be caught one on one with mahrez
chai this just remembered me of my secondary school days when prefects and sirs comes out to give a serious warning grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:17pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Isnt that what the post you quoted tried to still point out....?

reiteration improves the nation.smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:32pm On Nov 09, 2016
ROHR'S 5 BIG SURPRISES AGAINST ALGERIA

Coach Rohr with Iheanacho - the man to score the goals against Algeria on Saturday

Ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifier against the Fennecs of Algeria on Saturday, there are a few patterns that are emerging in the Nigeria training camp ahead of the game.

While nothing can be confirmed yet as they still
have two days of training before the team
selection is done, there are however a few things that can be discerned from the how team has prepared between Tuesday and Wednesday.

Let’s take a look at FIVE things that could play
out on game day
that could take the fans, and
even the Algerians by surprise -

1. ALAMPASU COULD BE IN GOAL

While this cannot be confirmed yet, but it does
seem the 19-year-old will get his seniot
international debut against the Algerians, if what has been seen from their training sessions are anything to go by.
Daniel Akpeyi is the most experienced goalkeeper in the fold and is the popular choice to play on Saturday, but selection patterns have so far suggested Alampasu might be the one selected.

2. ETEBO COULD START

The Feirense of Portugal attacker only arrived on Tuesday afternoon and had only his second training session with the team on Wednesday
morning, but it does look like he will start on
Saturday.
His first cap for the Super Eagles came in March
against Egypt in Kaduna in an Africa Cup of
Nations qualifier, and he started and scored
Nigeria’s goal in the 1-1 draw. He could be in line for another start on Saturday.

3. AHMED MUSA ON THE BENCH AGAIN

Vice-Captain Ahmed Musa will most likely start
this game from the bench, if the emerging
pattern were to be followed.

The Leicester City winger appears to have lost his place to Alex Iwobi and the returning Victor
Moses, and just like it was in Ndola last month
against Zambia, he is most likely to start from the bench again in Uyo.

4. IHEANACHO AS CENTRE-FORWARD, IGHALO AND IDEYE ON THE BENCH

It appears the Manchester City youngster will
start as the centre-forward ahead of the more
experienced Odion Ighalo and Brown Ideye.

Both Ighalo and Ideye have not been firing for the Super Eagles, while Iheanacho has scored twice in his last two games for the team and it does seem that Gernot Rohr will hand him a starting position as Nigeria’s number 9 on Saturday.

5. KENNETH OMERUO AT LEFT BACK

Omeruo, 23, played right back for the most part during his loan spell at Ado Den Haag in Holland, and one wouldn’t have been surprised to see him deployed to that position on Saturday, but left back?

Well, if the indications are anything to go by, he
will play there against the Algerians.

Elderson Echiejile only joined the team on
Tuesday evening and didn’t train until Wednesday morning, while Kingsley Madu doesn’t look like he enjoys Rohr’s confidence at the moment, so when the game kicks off, do not be surprised to see Omeruo at left back.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/662820/Rohrs-5-big-surprises-against-Algeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:34pm On Nov 09, 2016
Na wa for you ooo... So how much repetition is needed then? Loooolllll... Bia Sir Basco... Take ya time ooo... I still have my plank-neurolyser... Loll

BascoVanVeli:

reiteration improves the nation.smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:36pm On Nov 09, 2016
Na barbecue u dey envision abi na wetin? Looolll

AIG07:
*Sighs*
hmmm...
*takes in a deep breath*

I'm already anticipating how d smell (aroma) of a roasted Algeria team will climb up d stadium diffusing round d nation therefore leaving Nigerians to no other option dan to savour for more.

Etebo-Nacho combo gotta be lethal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:41pm On Nov 09, 2016
See as sweet discussions is passing me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
ROHR'S 5 BIG SURPRISES AGAINST ALGERIA

Ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifier against the Fennecs of Algeria on Saturday, there are a few patterns that are emerging in the Nigeria training camp ahead of the game.

While nothing can be confirmed yet as they still
have two days of training before the team
selection is done, there are however a few things that can be discerned from the how team has prepared between Tuesday and Wednesday.

Let’s take a look at FIVE things that could play
out on game day
that could take the fans, and
even the Algerians by surprise -

1. ALAMPASU COULD BE IN GOAL

While this cannot be confirmed yet, but it does
seem the 19-year-old will get his seniot
international debut against the Algerians, if what has been seen from their training sessions are anything to go by.
Daniel Akpeyi is the most experienced goalkeeper in the fold and is the popular choice to play on Saturday, but selection patterns have so far suggested Alampasu might be the one selected.

2. ETEBO COULD START

The Feirense of Portugal attacker only arrived on Tuesday afternoon and had only his second training session with the team on Wednesday
morning, but it does look like he will start on
Saturday.
His first cap for the Super Eagles came in March
against Egypt in Kaduna in an Africa Cup of
Nations qualifier, and he started and scored
Nigeria’s goal in the 1-1 draw. He could be in line for another start on Saturday.

3. AHMED MUSA ON THE BENCH AGAIN

Vice-Captain Ahmed Musa will most likely start
this game from the bench, if the emerging
pattern were to be followed.

The Leicester City winger appears to have lost his place to Alex Iwobi and the returning Victor
Moses, and just like it was in Ndola last month
against Zambia, he is most likely to start from the bench again in Uyo.

4. IHEANACHO AS CENTRE-FORWARD, IGHALO AND IDEYE ON THE BENCH

It appears the Manchester City youngster will
start as the centre-forward ahead of the more
experienced Odion Ighalo and Brown Ideye.

Both Ighalo and Ideye have not been firing for the Super Eagles, while Iheanacho has scored twice in his last two games for the team and it does seem that Gernot Rohr will hand him a starting position as Nigeria’s number 9 on Saturday.

5. KENNETH OMERUO AT LEFT BACK

Omeruo, 23, played right back for the most part during his loan spell at Ado Den Haag in Holland, and one wouldn’t have been surprised to see him deployed to that position on Saturday, but left back?

Well, if the indications are anything to go by, he
will play there against the Algerians.

Elderson Echiejile only joined the team on
Tuesday evening and didn’t train until Wednesday morning, while Kingsley Madu doesn’t look like he enjoys Rohr’s confidence at the moment, so when the game kicks off, do not be surprised to see Omeruo at left back.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/662820/Rohrs-5-big-surprises-against-Algeria
Omeruo at the left back is not happening. Nacho Etebo combo na goal rush
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 7:47pm On Nov 09, 2016
Omeruo, right footed, playing left back could prove to be a master stroke since the Algerians employ inverted wingers. If he gets the nod in that position, he'll likely come up against the left footed Mahrez who traditionally loves to cut in field and hence right into the stronger foot of Omeruo in so doing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2016
[quote author
=TheSuperNerd post=50904475] Na barbecue u dey envision abi na wetin? Looolll

[/quote]Aha...
All d same-but 'll prefer an hausa made 'SUYA'*Smiles*
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2016
Technical Report From Algeria
How Algerians Plan to Battle Super Eagles
As Expected, Algeria have done their homework on the Super Eagles and I was able to capture this from a reliable source and I will advice you keep a glass of water by your side.
Nigeria Coach Gernot Rohr offers a door and direct, with a lot of rhythm game on the attack. To succeed , Gernot Rohr, who was however known for his cautious game and counter attack when he was coach of OGC Nice, has done ambitious tactical transition with the Super Eagles.They are now more of offensive 4-4-2 rather than 4-2-4 they were using before.
The benefit of this impressive offensive line, Gernot Rohr so deliberately Stabilized the balance of the team by putting confidents in his two combative midfielders.
Behind, they have a classic defense of four tough guys that don't create gaps. But this does not come back late in the game in a 4-2-3-1 formation for more balance once they are leading and when the Opponents are becoming more desperate.
Gernot Rohr made four changes with the lineup in Zambia, the striker Brown Ideye (28 years, Olympiacos) started in place of Odion Ighalo (27 years, Watford) more useful to holdup play for others.
In a pivotal role,He is the type of player that weighs on a defence to provide support to the other 3 attackers playing around him.
Both wings are occupied by young and talented Alex Iwobi (20 years, Arsenal) who operated from the left and Simon Moses (21 years, Gent) in a right winger role. They lined up instead of the more experienced Victor Moses (25 years, Chelsea) and Ahmed Musa (24 years, Leicester City).
Good dribblers,they are athletic and love Switching positions especially the youngster of Arsenal who is very good with both feet and can destroy with speed and the young prodigy Kelechi Iheanacho (20 years, Manchester City) has meanwhile a freerole a little more deadly and very good technically with his Left foot, he plays in a role of supportive striker.
Big revelation in the Premier League this season,he is the heart of the offensive sector with his pinpoint passes and precision on the shots (he scored in the last 4 consecutive matches for Nigeria), he does not hesitate to assist the striker offer or to pick up the ball from deep.
The highlight of the Nigerian team is that they have this ability to create danger during transition from defence to attack and were very fast with a direct game that often surprised the Zambians.Overall,the offence is the pillar of the new-look Nigerian with a game based on speed and above average technical qualities. Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi and Brown Ideye are good to create problems for an opponent.
OBI Mikel (age 29, Chelsea) is often not very far from distributing passes or hit a shot from range. The other side of the coin is that lack of experience at this level, the young and spirited Nigerian attackers confuse sometimes running into offside traps or making wrong decisions in the final third.
but given their talent,they will very probably reach their best in the near future,with the pool of young talents that are knocking the door of the Super Eagles.
Defensively, the luxury is from the loss of ball in the opposing half by two attackers who are leading the line, with the midfielders that can track back easily if necessary.The first line consisting of the box-to-box Obi Mikel and the destroyer Onazi (23 years, Trabzonspor) assisted by two other wingers on the sides. We notice that the front players do not have a great defensive performance,Alex Iwobi involves timidly despite his energy and Simon Moses spends a lot of time to recover a not very reassuring on that wing as he made defensive mistakes in from of Onyinye
Against an aging Zambia, Gernot Rohr paraded youthful defensive line by starting Onyinye on the right side (19 years, Genk) which his long throw-in was originally key to the opening goal. Elderson Echiejile (28 years, Standard Liège) occupies the left side with more defensive performance.In the middle, William Troost-Ekong (23 years, FK Haugesund) and Kenneth Omeruo (23 Alanyaspor) showed good skills in the air with a lot of interceptions on the many long Zambian crosses but they are going to suffer against world class players.
In the second half against Zambia, the Nigerian defence showed some signs of fatigue. With sometimes bad positioning and lack of speed on their side and we also notice that they lose concentration easily,Probably more exposed because of the slow midfield in the closing period of the game.
After Zambian scored consolation, Gernot Rohr quickly responded with a first sub out at the 73rd minute.Brown Ideye was replaced by defensive midfielder Anderson Esiti (22 years, Gent) in order to protect the slim lead,then changed the shape for the last ten minutes, Nigeria has adopted a 4-2-3-1 with Ahmed Musa on the left and Mikel Obi on the right to block hallways and exploit on the counter.
In order to preserve the lead, the Super Eagles defence changed into a solid 6 + 4 not easy to penetrate.Not yet at the point, the defensive system is probably the big job in the coming months to Gernot Rohr who already will have to find solutions to our hard-hitting players oppositions and a not easy to supervise Islam Slimani. Against our national team, the German coach could try Musa Muhammed on the right side and he played all last three games before Zambia, he had made good impressions. Léon Balogun (28 Mainz 05) could also be the part in order to bring more concentration and technique in central defence.Offensive side, the coach can trust his young prodigies to start against our more experienced players in the defence.
Source : http://nigfooty.blogspo
.ke/2016/11/how-algerians-plan-to-battle-super.html?m=1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chimzyblack(m): 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2016
KevinDein:
Omeruo, right footed, playing left back could prove to be a master stroke since the Algerians employ inverse wingers. If he gets the nod in that position, he'll likely come up against the left footed Mahrez who traditionally loves to cut in field and hence right into the stronger foot of Omeruo in so doing.
very very good observation, but me as a perslon, I have no trust in omeruo as a defender, I can never forget how RANTIE uselessly finished omeruo during the 2015 nations cup qualifyer in uyo, his mistake against Zambia caused us some troubles during the closing stages of the last match. He is a defender that makes mistakes where you least expect him to make.
We Urgently need to find good players to cover our left back position because to me that is our weakest spot in that defense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
First of all, I wanna say your analysis is just brilliant. smiley

Second of all, this will be disobeying Sir Pelvicky's orders... Looolll

Thirdly, Sir Chimzyblack is right. Omeruo can be very error-prone... He cited the game against South Africa. Lemme also add the game against luxembourg... Who caused that one goal scored by luxembourg? Answer is Omeruo... He just gave away the ball which allowed his opponent pounce, make a short run and square for a 16 year old Vincent Thill to score. I still have the clips of that game.

Against Zambia, same thing happened. Omeruo can switch off sometimes and make schoolboy errors, Chimzyblack is spot on with his omeruo critcism........ But then...

Lastly... Omeruo is still a top defender who's tested and still trusted. (Cool down Sir Chimzyblack... Loolll)... If Rohr plays him at left-back, It may indeed be a master-stroke to stop Mahrez's inverse movements from the wings.... Or maybe it could be our doom.

All the same, let's trust the coach to make the right decisions (a few of those decisions might surprise us come saturday).

All is well..... We really got a battle on our hands.... And the left back role seems to be our focus because Algeria's attacking frequency comes from that wing all in the name of Mahrez. Let's not forget we got similar challenges on the right.

All the same... Let Rohr decide.... Saturday beckons. smiley

Nice analysis again Sir KevinDein... And nice cautionary analysis from sir Chimzyblack.

Whatever the option at Left back is, we need the left winger/left AMF to also join in helping the leftback curtail mahrez's threat as he cant do it alone all game... This is having Sir Pelvicky's "instruction" in mind. Loollll...

KevinDein:
Omeruo, right footed, playing left back could prove to be a master stroke since the Algerians employ inverted wingers. If he gets the nod in that position, he'll likely come up against the left footed Mahrez who traditionally loves to cut in field and hence right into the stronger foot of Omeruo in so doing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2016
The Various Central Defence Pairing Rohr Tried During Super Eagles Training Session

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is yet to settle on his preferred pair in the central defence ahead of Nigeria’s World Cup 2018 qualifiers against Algeria.

Owngoalnigeria.com checks on the team training session can report that Rohr tried out four possible combination in central defence during the session in search for the right duo.

Kenneth Omeruo and Leon Balogun started at
one end while Troost Ekong was paired with Uche Agbo at the start of training for the other team, and as the session progressed, the coach made further changed.

Agbo and Omeruo were later paired on one side
while Balogun and Ekong played for the other
team, and even though they kept a clean sheet.

Rohr shocked onlookers when Agbo was made to pair Elderson Echiejile.

Echiejile who is predominantly a left full back
paired the Granada man in central defence, and
amazingly the duo were quite comfortable playing alongside each other with Agbo particularly impressive with his ball distribution.

It remains to be seen which of the pair will get
the nod for the Algeria game, but Nigerians can
be rest assured that whoever gets the nod won’t falter against the Desert Foxes.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/09/the-various-central-defence-pairing-rohr-tried-during-super-eagles-training-session/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:09pm On Nov 09, 2016

We’ll get result against ‘quality’ Eagles,
says Algeria’s Mandi

Ahead of this weekend’s 2018 World Cup
qualifiers against Nigeria’s Super Eagles, Algeria’s Aissa Mandi acknowledged the quality of the Super Eagles but boasted that they would surely get the needed result against the West African giant.

The Real Betis of Spain star told Lebuteur.com
that they would be coming to Nigeria to pick the
three maximum points in Uyo.

“Nigeria is a great team which has in its ranks,
players of quality who play in the biggest teams
of Europe. We know that this game will be
difficult and that it will be played on details. We
will go there with the ambition to get a good
result,” Mandi said.

The player is not giving up on Algeria’s chance of making it to Russia 2018 by saying,
“As always, the atmosphere is perfect in the group. We are preparing in good condition for this match against Nigeria and I can assure you that we will do everything possible to get a positive result there. We will go to Nigeria with a positive spirit and we will spare no effort to get the three points of this game,” he boasted.

“No, we are not back on the wall, for the simple
reason that there are still five games to play in
the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. We must not be
alarmed, because of this poor performance at
home against Cameroon. We will go to Nigeria
confident and with our weapons. I remain
convinced that we have the means to look for a
positive outcome there,” he added.

On the shaky defence of the Algerian side, Mandi said: “No, we must stop criticizing the defence. Football is a collective sport. We win together and we lose together. I think it was the whole team that was missing out on Cameroon, not just the defence. The state of mind within the team is very positive and I can assure you that there was never any problem between the players. All is well within the selection and it is in the most total serenity that we prepare this match against Nigeria. The players are aware of the task ahead and we will do everything possible to get a positive result.”

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/well-get-result-quality-eagles-says-algerias-mandi/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:14pm On Nov 09, 2016
The Various Combination Rohr Tried In Attack During Super Eagles Training

The Super Eagles stepped up their preparation for their second game in the World Cup 2018
qualifiers, which will take place this weekend
against Algeria with coach Gernot Rohr trying out various formations in attack.

Spoilt for choice in attack, the return of Brown
Ideye to training added more spice to the team’s options in attack but with the coach still looking for the right pairings, he tried out so many options in training which Owngoalnigeria.com witnessed.

The session started with the trio of Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho leading the line in a three man attack while Oghenekaro Etebo played just behind the main striker Iheanacho.

For the other team Moses Simon, Odion Ighalo
and Ideye started upfront. It gave us a little hint
that the duo of Simon and Ideye who started the game against Zambia could be dropped for Etebo and Moses.

Although Simon dazzled during yesterday’s
session, the abilities of Moses in defending could
give him an edge above the Gent man when Rohr names his team for the tie against Algeria on Saturday.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/09/the-various-combination-rohr-tried-in-attack-during-super-eagles-training/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:28pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

We’ll get result against ‘quality’ Eagles,
says Algeria’s Mandi

Ahead of this weekend’s 2018 World Cup
qualifiers against Nigeria’s Super Eagles, Algeria’s Aissa Mandi acknowledged the quality of the Super Eagles but boasted that they would surely get the needed result against the West African giant.

The Real Betis of Spain star told Lebuteur.com
that they would be coming to Nigeria to pick the
three maximum points in Uyo.

“Nigeria is a great team which has in its ranks,
players of quality who play in the biggest teams
of Europe. We know that this game will be
difficult and that it will be played on details. We
will go there with the ambition to get a good
result,” Mandi said.

The player is not giving up on Algeria’s chance of making it to Russia 2018 by saying,
“As always, the atmosphere is perfect in the group. We are preparing in good condition for this match against Nigeria and I can assure you that we will do everything possible to get a positive result there. We will go to Nigeria with a positive spirit and we will spare no effort to get the three points of this game,” he boasted.

“No, we are not back on the wall, for the simple
reason that there are still five games to play in
the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. We must not be
alarmed, because of this poor performance at
home against Cameroon. We will go to Nigeria
confident and with our weapons. I remain
convinced that we have the means to look for a
positive outcome there,” he added.

On the shaky defence of the Algerian side, Mandi said: “No, we must stop criticizing the defence. Football is a collective sport. We win together and we lose together. I think it was the whole team that was missing out on Cameroon, not just the defence. The state of mind within the team is very positive and I can assure you that there was never any problem between the players. All is well within the selection and it is in the most total serenity that we prepare this match against Nigeria. The players are aware of the task ahead and we will do everything possible to get a positive result.”

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/well-get-result-quality-eagles-says-algerias-mandi/

Mandi sounds more like a girl's name. Aint going to have no problems running over these ladies
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01am On Nov 10, 2016
chimzyblack:
very very good observation, but me as a perslon, I have no trust in omeruo as a defender, I can never forget how RANTIE uselessly finished omeruo during the 2015 nations cup qualifyer in uyo, his mistake against Zambia caused us some troubles during the closing stages of the last match. He is a defender that makes mistakes where you least expect him to make.
We Urgently need to find good players to cover our left back position because to me that is our weakest spot in that defense.

Omeruo came back from a long layoff due to an injury. Ranti met him when he just returned. It was an unfit Omeruo against South Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:48am On Nov 10, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Omeruo came back from a long layoff due to an injury. Ranti met him when he just returned. It was an unfit Omeruo against South Africa.

What happened against Luxemburg and Zambia? The man can be error prone.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:53am On Nov 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

When you read my quote, did you see Zambia?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:59am On Nov 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

We can hinge on the error but Omeruo was amazing against the Zambians. Without his hard work and effort, the Zambians would have found room to cause us problems.

Omeruo played virtually two shifts in the game. Some times, he drifted to the right to help.

Either way, I pointed the South African game, not Luxembourg or Zambia. In the South African game, it was not his error but lack of fitness due to a long layoff.

If any wants to tag him error prone due to Zambia and Luxembourg, they are free. Adding South Africa is totally off.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:24am On Nov 10, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

We can hinge on the error but Omeruo was amazing against the Zambians. Without his hard work and effort, the Zambians would have found room to cause us problems.

Omeruo played virtually two shifts in the game. Some times, he drifted to the right to help.

Either way, I pointed the South African game, not Luxembourg or Zambia. In the South African game, it was not his error but lack of fitness due to a long layoff.

If any wants to tag him error prone due to Zambia and Luxembourg, they are free. Adding South Africa is totally off.

His errors have cost goals. Against SA, it was costly. Against Luxemburg and Zambia, it wasn't. He also conceeded an own goal at the weekend. At the end of the day, that is what counts.

He is good defender but he is error-prone.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:05am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Stoke City
Ex-England ace Paul Scholes latest Victor Moses fan

Ex-England and Manchester United midfield star Paul Scholes has hailed Chelsea forward Victor Moses, saying the new Chelsea formation has brought out the best in him.

Moses, who has been out of favour since he arrived Stamford Bridge in 2011, is now one of the best Chelsea players under Antonio Conte as he now plays as right wing-back in a 3-4-3 formation.

Scholes, who is now a sports pundit at BT Sports, said: “You have to be happy for him.

"The last five years he has been shipped out to places on loan but like you said earlier, the formation has seemed to suit him better.”

Victor Moses, who helped Chelsea to cruise past Everton over the weekend, is now expected to arrive at the Super Eagles camp in Abuja ahead of Nigeria’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Algeria on Saturday.
africanfootball.com/news/662328/Ex-England-ace-Paul-Scholes-latest-Victor-Moses-fan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:17am On Nov 10, 2016
Someone should please call Mikel to order.

AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Cameroon
Nigeria skipper Mikel: A draw with Algeria won't be a bad result

Nigeria skipper Mikel Obi has said he will accept a draw at home with Africa’s leading team Algeria, saying "it won't be a bad result".

The Super Eagles welcome Algeria on Saturday in continuation of the qualifying tournament for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Chelsea midfielder Mikel said he expects a keenly fought contest from 5pm on Saturday inside the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.

“It will be a difficult, tactical game, we will careful. We want to win but a draw will not be a bad result for us,” said the 29-year-old midfielder, who played a key role as Nigeria won a bronze medal at the Rio Olympics recently.

“We are up against a top team like Algeria.

“But we are a good side with several young players and a couple of experienced ones. We are energetic and have the legs to attack and recover quickly.

"We are playing well, solid in defence and creating chances.

"We will play to our strengths, keep focus and discipline."

Nigeria are top of their qualifying group after they won 2-1 in Zambia last month and Algeria were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Cameroon.
africanfootball.com/news/662670/Nigeria-skipper-Mikel-A-draw-with-Algeria-won-t-be-a-bad-result

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (16155) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chrisooblog, jolly94, semid4lyfe(m), Ajd19 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.