Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (272) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11659866 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (16149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:19am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Zambia
Rohr disagrees with Mikel - We want all 3 points

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has said it was crucial the Super Eagles beat Algeria on Saturday to openly disagree with his skipper Mikel Obi, who said he will accept a draw at home.

Mikel said he will accept a draw with visiting Algeria in Uyo.

But Rohr has maintained that it was important Nigeria won the maximum points at home at the expense of the team widely tipped to win the group.

“It is very important that we make the three points against Africa’s top team Algeria,” pointedly declared the Franco-German coach, who has been credited with a revival of the three-time African champions.

Rohr also spoke on the team’s three injury concerns – Shehu Abdullahi, Leon Balogun and Brown Ideye.

“We have three little injuries, we are careful (about managing them),” he said.

“Balogun has a knock on the knee, Ideye and Shehu have problems around the ankle.

“I hope they will be fit to train with the rest of the team.”

africanfootball.com/news/662702/Rohr-disagrees-with-Mikel-We-want-all-3-points
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:21am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Cameroon
Pinnick claims NFF bosses forfeit extacode, allowances for Eagles

NFF president Amaju Pinnick has claimed he and his colleagues on the executive committee have lately forfeited their extacode and allowances as a sacrifice for the comfort of the Super Eagles.

The NFF poor finances meant they needed a 100 million Naira bail out last month from the government before they could fly the Super Eagles to Zambia for a World Cup qualifier.

Pinnick has now revealed his board have made personal sacrifices for the Super Eagles to be happy on the road to Russia 2018.

"We have isolated ourselves from any form of financial benefits in terms of allowances and extacode as a sacrifice because we want our team to have the best,” he said.

“That has been the practice for the past few months.
“We will give the players everything that is due to them.”

The Eagles are expected to now be paid a bonus of $5,000-a-man for the 2-1 win over Zambia last month.

They were paid a million Naira each for the 1-0 win over Tanzania in an 2017 AFCON qualifier in Uyo in September.

africanfootball.com/news/662840/Pinnick-claims-NFF-bosses-forfeit-extacode-allowances-for-Eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:09am On Nov 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

What happened against Luxemburg and Zambia? The man can be error prone.
Is Omeruo right footed or left-footed? Simple answer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:26am On Nov 10, 2016
Mickael2:

Is Omeruo right footed or left-footed? Simple answer
what does his left or right have to do with the errors against Luxembourg, southAfrica n zambia. Omeruo should be move to the fullback(R or L) position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pelvicky(m): 7:56am On Nov 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
First of all, I wanna say your analysis is just brilliant. smiley

Second of all, this will be disobeying Sir Pelvicky's orders... Looolll

Thirdly, Sir Chimzyblack is right. Omeruo can be very error-prone... He cited the game against South Africa. Lemme also add the game against luxembourg... Who caused that one goal scored by luxembourg? Answer is Omeruo... He just gave away the ball which allowed his opponent pounce, make a short run and square for a 16 year old Vincent Thill to score. I still have the clips of that game.

Against Zambia, same thing happened. Omeruo can switch off sometimes and make schoolboy errors, Chimzyblack is spot on with his omeruo critcism........ But then...

Lastly... Omeruo is still a top defender who's tested and still trusted. (Cool down Sir Chimzyblack... Loolll)... If Rohr plays him at left-back, It may indeed be a master-stroke to stop Mahrez's inverse movements from the wings.... Or maybe it could be our doom.

All the same, let's trust the coach to make the right decisions (a few of those decisions might surprise us come saturday).

All is well..... We really got a battle on our hands.... And the left back role seems to be our focus because Algeria's attacking frequency comes from that wing all in the name of Mahrez. Let's not forget we got similar challenges on the right.

All the same... Let Rohr decide.... Saturday beckons. smiley

Nice analysis again Sir KevinDein... And nice cautionary analysis from sir Chimzyblack.

Whatever the option at Left back is, we need the left winger/left AMF to also join in helping the leftback curtail mahrez's threat as he cant do it alone all game... This is having Sir Pelvicky's "instruction" in mind. Loollll...

Omeruo can't play@ LB, he lack positional sense, unless the coach will tell him not to get pass the half way line.

His career is still young, don't wanna imagine mahrez turning him inside out like hot amala fnr 90 minute.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:38am On Nov 10, 2016
zicky:
what does his left or right have to do with the errors against Luxembourg, southAfrica n zambia. Omeruo should be move to the fullback(R or L) position.

simple. do you know why Mathieu is still a Barcelona player right now? because he is left footed. Omeruo isn't left footed yet he does manage to play on the left side of our defence because we have no other option. analyse the errors that he made. against Zambia, he could have cleared that ball with his right foot if the ball was coming in from his right, but since it was coming in from the left which is his weaker foot,he was caught in an awkward situation. against South Africa, I can remember one of the goals that Rantie out-muscled him, he was on the left side again and since he is right footed, he can't balance well with his right foot on the ground, let me explain well... if you are right footed, you tend to balance more on the ground with your left foot, when you study how to do long jumps, if you are right footed, you will be advised to take off with your left foot because you are always more balanced when you stand on your left foot and vice versa, so in these two cases he has a point to make which is why I am not surprised that the coach tried out Echejile as a CB, he is the only left footed defender we have but all these takes nothing away from Omeruo. when he was paired with Oboabona on the left, he was great, from the Afcon to the world cup.did he commit any error?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:39am On Nov 10, 2016
pelvicky:
Omeruo can't play@ LB, he lack positional sense, unless the coach will tell him not to get pass the half way line.

His career is still young, don't wanna imagine mahrez turning him inside out like hot amala fnr 90 minute.

Omeruo lacks positional sense?! Wow! tell me something I don't know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 9:04am On Nov 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I think in the set-up from africanfootball.com reports, Kelechi may play a kind of false 9 which can see him switch positions at will with Etebo and do his sleek build-up attacking moves with Iwobi.

When a certain Sir Zuchyblink said Etebo could strike for us, a lot of people laughed it off.... But here you are suggesting the same thing in this set-up. smiley

I have said it B4,Etebor is the real beast. He scores for fun. I also predicted a right footer as a makeshift LB. Mahrez will easily roast Echiejile and Madu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:31am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 Wolverhampton Wanderers.
EAGLES GOALKEEPER: Alloy Agu assures, says the best will be picked

Nigeria goalkeeper trainer Alloy Agu has assured that whoever is in goal on Saturday against Algeria will be the best and he will acquit himself creditably.

Daniel Akpeyi, Dele Alampasu and Ikechukwu Ezenwa are jostling to be in goal in the absence of first-choice Carl Ikeme.

“The best on the day will be in goal for Nigeria,” said Agu.

“All the goalkeepers have been doing well at their clubs and they are not new to the national team set-up.

“Nigerians should be rest assured on all three goalkeepers because they are all tested hands and so there is nothing to be worried about.

“We will all continue to work hard and pray that on match day, God will crown all our efforts.”

Agu said he expects the Eagles to play a smart game to beat Algeria on Saturday.

“Algeria are wounded lions and they will come all out, and so we have to play a tactically disciplined game and try to score an early goal so as to get the three points at stake,” he offered.

By Kola Daniel

africanfootball.com/news/662901/EAGLES-GOALKEEPER-Alloy-Agu-assures-says-the-best-will-be-picked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:34am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Algeria U23
Injury-ravaged Algeria hand late call-up to Olympic team ace

Algeria have handed a late call-up to Hussein Dey defensive midfielder Sofiane Bendebka following an injury crisis that has ravaged the team ahead of Saturday’s World Cup clash in Nigeria.

Napoli defender Faouzi Ghoulam has withdrawn from the squad after he suffered a groin injury to worsen the injury woes of the North Africans, who have lost three key players earlier this week.

Bendebka featured at the recent Rio Olympics and was part of the squad for a 2017 AFCON qualifier in Seychelles.

Algeria will fly into Uyo today ahead of Saturday’s showdown against home team Nigeria.

africanfootball.com/news/662881/Injury-ravaged-Algeria-hand-late-call-up-to-Olympic-team-ace
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:40am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Algeria
Etebo Q & A: It's a new beginning for me

Rio Olympics hero Oghenekaro Etebo is set to add to his Super Eagles caps when Nigeria tackle Algeria on Saturday.

He says it’s a new beginning for him in the Super Eagles.

The full interview:

Etebo, how does it feel to be back with the Super Eagles of Nigeria after your exploits at Rio Olympics where you scored four goals against Japan?

Etebo: First of all, I wish to thank God for his grace and mercy.
I was very happy when I received the call-up. I believe this is the beginning of a new dawn, it’s just for me to keep improving every time.

Where did you get your great sense of purpose on the pitch?

This is my job, I don't have any other job, and whenever I am on the pitch, I am focused. I always want my team to win.

You helped Feirense to win promotion to the Portuguese top league. How has it been for you in Portugal now?

Everything is going well for me but when I first arrived it was not that easy because of the new language and a new country. That weighed me down a bit.

But after a few months during which I was well received, which I appreciated, everything is now going fine.

You reported late to the training camp for Saturday’s match against Algeria and we understand it had to do with your work permit.

My club did not submit my file to the immigration office in Portugal but that has now been settled before I came down to Nigeria. It was a delay from my club.

How are you now looking forward to the big game against Algeria in Uyo?

It’s a big game but by His grace I believe with our effort we will get the victory on Saturday.

Thank you for speaking with us.
Thank you too.

By Kola Daniel

africanfootball.com/news/662889/Etebo-QA-It-s-a-new-beginning-for-me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:45am On Nov 10, 2016
Musa Targets More Trophies With Super Eagles

Augustine Akhilomen

Super Eagles vice captain, Ahmed Musa says he's determined to win more trophies with the senior national team before calling it quits with football.

Musa who will be in line to face the Desert Foxes of Algeria in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo on Saturday, was part of the Super Eagles squad that won the 2013 African Cup of Nations in South Africa under late manager, Stephen Keshi.

Having enjoyed strings of starting shirts in the colours of Leicester City in the Premier League recently, the former CSKA Moscow winger revealed that he's happy with current crop of players in the team and that he's determined to win more trophies for Nigeria.

"My dream in the Super Eagles is to win more trophies. My last trophy was at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa but then, I will be so delighted to qualify Nigeria for the 2018 World Cup. I am delighted with the calibers of players in the team and I am confident that the team will do well," Musa said.

"I am very happy with my progress so far because at the beginning I never thought things like this would have happen. I hope to achieve more great things for my club and country because that is the most important thing as a footballer," he said.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/11/musa-targets-more-trophies-with-super.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:52am On Nov 10, 2016
Shooting Practice: How Akpeyi, Alampasu And Ezenwa Performed In Training

The three goalkeppers in the camp of the Super Eagles are in a tight battle to replace injured first choice shot stopper Carl Ikeme, and a shooting session was done by the team to test the reflex of the trio of Dele Alampasu, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Daniel Akpeyi.

During the shooting practice while the experienced duo of Akpeyi and Ezenwa relied on clever foot works to make saves at ease, same can’t be said about Alampasu who dived with less emphasis on movement.

However while Ezenwa saved around 85% of the shots directed at him, Akpeyi was the most impressive saving around 90% of the shots against him. Alampasu on his part excelled in other areas but had a shot save percentage of around 60%.

During test games, Akpeyi was smart of his line and quick to act as a sweeper for his team, while Ezenwa’s strength appears to be in one on one duels against forwards. Alampasu was exceptionally good at claiming crosses.

Alampasu made a smart save from a well hit drive from Leon Balogun, and another from Iheanacho showed the former U-17 shot stopper who was voted the best goalkepper at the World Youth Championship in 2013 has grown in leaps and bounds.

owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/10/shooting-practice-how-akpeyi-alampasu-and-ezenwa-performed-in-training/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:00am On Nov 10, 2016
Algeria Coach Writes Off Omeruo, Balogun, Troost-Ekong & Echiejile : They Have Weaknesses

In his preview of the World Cup qualifier against Nigeria, Algeria national team coach Georges Leekens fancies his team’s chances of getting the required result after studying the tapes of the Super Eagles.

The Belgian manager has openly praised the attacking prowess of the Super Eagles, but reckons that the defense consisting of Leon Balogun (Mainz), Kenneth Omeruo (Alanyaspor), Elderson Echiejile (Standard Liege) and William Troost-Ekong (Gent) is theirAchilles heel.

“The defense of Nigeria has some weaknesses that need to be taken into account. It will mark, it is imperative, ” Leekens said, according to Le Buteur.

“To achieve a good result there, we have to score one or more goals. Them, they will rush to the attack.

“We have to be up early in the meeting then operate against attacks by Nigeria.”

The Algerian squad will arrive in Uyo on Thursday, two days before the clash at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium.

Igho Kingsley

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21026
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:03am On Nov 10, 2016
Nigeria Embassy In Algeria Stop Algerian Player From Traveling With Squad To Uyo

Na Hussein Dey midfielder Sofiane Bendebka will not travel with the Algerian squad to Uyo as things stand because he has not been issued a visa by the Embassy of Nigeria in Algiers.

Bendebka has been handed a late call-up to the Desert Foxes as a result of the uncertainty surrounding the availability of Napoli star Faouzi Ghoulam, who is struggling to overcome a groin injury.

Ghoulam was absent at the penultimate training session held atSidi Moussa on Wednesday.

If the Algerian Football Federation fail in their attempt to get him the traveling document, he will have no choice but to return to his club.

The Algerian squad will train one more time on Thursday morning before they depart for Uyo on a chartered flight.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21025
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:13am On Nov 10, 2016
Chelsea Victor Moses Could Fill In At Wing Back For Nigeria- Rohr Refuses To Rule Him Out As An Option

Head coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has refused to rule out the possibility of Victor Moses playing as a wing back when Nigeria take on Algeria on Saturday in the World Cup 2018 qualifiers.

Rohr was asked upon arrival in Uyo if there is a possibility of Moses playing in the same role he has excelled this season at Chelsea under manager Antonio Conte.

”Too early to talk about tactics and formation but we have a way we hope to play, and regarding Moses he will play in a position that is best for the team, for him and for the entire nation as a whole” He said.

However from our checks at the team training session, the 25 year old has been played as a winger from the right and once operated from the left, with another showing just behind the striker.

Today’s close door session of the Eagles in Uyo could decide the likely formation the team will play against Algeria, although they are insinuations that Rohr could stick to his preferred 4-3-3 formation.

owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/10/chelsea-victor-moses-could-fill-in-at-wing-back-for-nigeria-rohr-refuses-to-rule-him-out-as-an-option/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:17am On Nov 10, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Bayelsa United
Zamalek star Ohawuchi backs Eagles to beat Algeria

Zamalek winger Stanley Ohawuchi has said he expects Nigeria to beat Algeria in a World Cup qualifier in Uyo this weekend.

"The game will be tough, but the Eagles are very strong now and I see them picking all the three points against Algeria in Uyo,” predicted the former Nigeria U20 star.

"The North Africans are easily provoked.

"I play with them and I understand their type of football.

"They will bring the game to you in the first half by mounting pressures and all you have to do is to absorb the pressure.

"By the second half, they will be tired. The Eagles can capitalise on this and pick all three points.”

Ohawuchi, who scored for Zamalek during their CAF Champions League final at home against Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa, said he remains confident he will soon be considered by the Super Eagles.

"Sometimes you feel very bad for not getting call up to the national team and sometimes you feel happy because Nigeria have so many talented players all over the world,” he said.

"I am sure it's not yet my time, when my time comes you will see me in the colours of Super Eagles.”

He restated his case for a place in the Eagles.

"I scored so many goals for Bayelsa United and I was the second highest scorer in the 2009/2010 NPFL season,” he recounted.

"And I have scored so many important goals for my foreign teams as well.

“Hopefully soon I'll get a call-up to the national team.”

By Wale Oyekanmi

africanfootball.com//news/662904/Zamalek-star-Ohawuchi-backs-Eagles-to-beat-Algeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:31am On Nov 10, 2016
Eagles Alert! 5 Reasons Algeria Will Be Dangerous In Uyo

The Fennecs of Algeria will face Nigeria in a must win Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying fixture on Saturday, November 12, at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.Comple tesportsnigeria.com's

ADEBOYE AMOSU highlights five reasons why the Super Eagles must be wary of the visitors.

1. FEARSOME ATTACK
The Fennecs parade one of the best attacking talents in the continent at the moment. On their day, the trio of Riyad Mahrez, Islam Slimani and Yaccine Brahimi could be unstoppable.

With the Super Eagles defence failing to inspire confidence in recent games, the North Africans will be out to explore that weak area and pick a crucial win in the game.

How well the Eagles will cope with the dangerous trio and Algeria's other attackers will play a decisive role on who wins the tie.

2. THIRST FOR VICTORY
Algeria drew 1-1 against Cameroon in their matchday-one fixture, and will be desperate to secure three points in the game to boost their chances of picking the Group B's sole ticket.

Defeat or draw in the game will be dangerous to Algeria's aspiration and that will make the encounter a tough affair for the Super Eagles.

3. HUNGER TO END POOR RUN AGAINST NIGERIA
The Super Eagles have dominated the last six meetings between them and the Fennecs.

The Eagles have won five of those games with the other ending in a draw. Their last defeat against the Fennecs was in the final of the 1980 Africa Nations Cup which Nigeria hosted.

Ranked as the number one team in Africa, the North Africans will be determined to maintain their status as Africa's best against their hosts.

4. MOTIVATION TO SATISFY NEW COACH
With a new coach in charge, the Algerian players will be fired up for the game. Players who didn't feature much under the previous gaffer will be out to impress which will make them more difficult to play against.

5. DESIRE TO PLAY AT THE WORLD CUP
The Algerians made a big impression at the last FIFA World Cup in Brazil and are keen to make a return at Russia 2018.

That hunger will make them a dangerous opponent all through the qualifiers, and the Super Eagles will need to be at their best to win the match in Uyo.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/eagles-alert-5-reasons-algeria-will-be-dangerous-in-uyo/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:35am On Nov 10, 2016
Aluko Nominated For English Championship Player Of The Month Award

By James Agberebi:

Nigeria forward, Sone Aluko, has been nominated for the Sky Bet Championship Player of the Month award for October, Completesportsnigeia.com reports.

Aluko's nomination was confirmed on Fulham's official website on Thursday morning.

Other nominees include Ali Al Habsi of Reading, Lewis Dunk of Brighton Hove Albion and Newcastle's Dwight Gayle.

The former Hull City and Glasgow Rangers player helped his side to two wins and a draw in October.

Aluko scored Fulham's crucial second equaliser before half-time en route to a 4-2 victory against Barnsley.

And in the 5-0 triumph over Huddersfield Town, Aluko had a hand in three of the goals.

He has so far scored three league goals in 15 appearances for Fulham this season.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/aluko-nominated-english-championship-player-month-award/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:37am On Nov 10, 2016
Nigeria: Ighalo Promises Goals Against Algeria

By Mansur Abubakar

Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo says he's promising Nigerians goals on Saturday in the highly anticipated FIFA 2018 World Cup qualifying clash against Algeria at the Godswill Akpabi Stadium in Uyo.

In a chat with reporters after yesterday's final training session in Abuja before the team's departure to Akwa Ibom, the former Udinese player added that Nigeria's Vice President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo's visit will motivate the team to give their best on Saturday.

"What I can say is that I'm promising Nigerians goals against Algeria because I'll do all I can to find the net and on the visit of the vice president I believe it will motivate us and give us added energy to give our best on the day."

Meanwhile, Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr, has assured Nigerians that Leon Balogun, Brown Ideye and Shehu Abdullahi, who finally trained with the rest of the team yesterday morning, are all ready for the Algeria encounter.

Rohr on Monday had described as minor the injuries that kept the trio out of the training session, saying that they were excused from the exercise as a precautionary measure.

But yesterday, in the team's final training session in Abuja Abdullahi, Balogun and Ideye all joined in to train with the rest of the team which left Rohr feeling happy that he'll have all his options intact for the massive game.

"As you can they are now ready, the doctor has assured me, so there is no problem with the team. We have start full training this morning (yesterday) and I am confident that every of the invited players will take part. We are gearing up and the players are aware of the task," he told the press.

The German tactician also hailed Vice president Osinbajo's visit to the team's training session, saying it will go a long way to motivate the team to give their best against the Desert Foxes.

allafrica.com/stories/201611100284.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:41am On Nov 10, 2016
Mickael2:

simple. do you know why Mathieu is still a Barcelona player right now? because he is left footed. Omeruo isn't left footed yet he does manage to play on the left side of our defence because we have no other option. analyse the errors that he made. against Zambia, he could have cleared that ball with his right foot if the ball was coming in from his right, but since it was coming in from the left which is his weaker foot,he was caught in an awkward situation. against South Africa, I can remember one of the goals that Rantie out-muscled him, he was on the left side again and since he is right footed, he can't balance well with his right foot on the ground, let me explain well... if you are right footed, you tend to balance more on the ground with your left foot, when you study how to do long jumps, if you are right footed, you will be advised to take off with your left foot because you are always more balanced when you stand on your left foot and vice versa, so in these two cases he has a point to make which is why I am not surprised that the coach tried out Echejile as a CB, he is the only left footed defender we have but all these takes nothing away from Omeruo. when he was paired with Oboabona on the left, he was great, from the Afcon to the world cup.did he commit any error?
never thought of that hmmm, the left foot, right foot balance is so true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:51pm On Nov 10, 2016
Algeria Coach – Not Mikel , Stopping Iwobi &Iheancho Will Neutralise Nigeria’s Attacking Threat

The coach of Algeria national team Georges Leekens says the key to neutralising the threat of the Nigeria going forward is to stop the duo of Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho from getting on the ball.

Leekens said from the past games of the Super Eagles, the players are usually in a hurry to release the ball to the duo of Iheanacho and Iwobi, who are by far the most creative among the Nigerian forwards.

The games he was referring were the 1-0 win over Tanzania and the 2-1 win away over Zambia in Ndola. Games where the duo bailed Nigeria out with crucial goals.

Arsenal forward Iwobi opened scoring in Zambia before Manchester City Iheanacho doubled the Eagles lead, adding to his goal which condemned Tanzania to defeat in Uyo.

” We have found out the two most important players in the Nigeria team Iwobi and Iheanacho, in tight spaces their teammates are always looking for them. They are also good at running behind unnoticed” He told the media in Algeria.

” The key is to deny them access to the ball, as whichever formation Nigeria play, they are key not even their captain Mikel. Stopping Iheanacho and Iwobi will neutralise Nigeria’s complex formation”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/10/algeria-coach-not-mikel-stopping-iwobi-iheancho-will-neutralise-nigerias-attacking-threat/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olapluto(m): 1:54pm On Nov 10, 2016
tbaba1234:
Algeria Coach – Not Mikel , Stopping Iwobi &Iheancho Will Neutralise Nigeria’s Attacking Threat

The coach of Algeria national team Georges Leekens says the key to neutralising the threat of the Nigeria going forward is to stop the duo of Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho from getting on the ball.

Leekens said from the past games of the Super Eagles, the players are usually in a hurry to release the ball to the duo of Iheanacho and Iwobi, who are by far the most creative among the Nigerian forwards.

The games he was referring were the 1-0 win over Tanzania and the 2-1 win away over Zambia in Ndola. Games where the duo bailed Nigeria out with crucial goals.

Arsenal forward Iwobi opened scoring in Zambia before Manchester City Iheanacho doubled the Eagles lead, adding to his goal which condemned Tanzania to defeat in Uyo.

” We have found out the two most important players in the Nigeria team Iwobi and Iheanacho, in tight spaces their teammates are always looking for them. They are also good at running behind unnoticed” He told the media in Algeria.

” The key is to deny them access to the ball, as whichever formation Nigeria play, they are key not even their captain Mikel. Stopping Iheanacho and Iwobi will neutralise Nigeria’s complex formation”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/10/algeria-coach-not-mikel-stopping-iwobi-iheancho-will-neutralise-nigerias-attacking-threat/
Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa will be smiling reading this news. Odion Ighalo, abeg no vex.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mickael2:

You do not have to be a left footed player to play on the left side of defence. You are not crossing the ball, all you need is to be able to get your laces through the ball. Against Luxemburg, he misplaced a simple pass that led to a goal, was that also because he was not left footed.

Echiejile was played at center back because the coach was trying Omeruo at left back where he needs the left foot more. There was no other CB in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 2:19pm On Nov 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

You do not have to be a left footed player to play on the left side of defence. You are not crossing the ball, all you need is to be able to get your laces through the ball. Against Luxemburg, he misplaced a simple pass that led to a goal, was that also because he was not left footed.

Echiejile was played at center back because the coach was trying Omeruo at left back where he needs the left foot more. There was no other CB in the team.

Spot on.

Was Azpilicueta a left-footed Player?! Yet he played LB for more than a Season at Chelsea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:28pm On Nov 10, 2016
He admits our attacking formation is kinda complex.... Looollll

He is half-right to say "kill off Nacho's and Iwobi's creative influence" and Nigeria will suffer.

Thing is the Mikel he's underrating is the one who links up nicely with the duo and brings them into play. The build-up to Nacho's goal in Ndola had Mikel written all over it too if we focus a bit away from Nacho's individual brilliance and movements in making that goal happen. (((People should watch the build-up to Nacho's goal again wink it was actually all about Mikel.))).

There's also a rampaging Victor Moses. He's energetic, full of running and also very creative.

Leekens says we are "complex" in attack and in another press session he admits our attack can be "world class" sometimes when we move forward.

He has a big job to stop our attack just as we have it big to stop theirs.

So he's only half-right to say it's all about Iwobi and Nacho.... The other half... Hehehehe... He'll find out on matchday. wink

tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 2:31pm On Nov 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

he he he, ds coach just dey deceive himself, this one wey our coach wan start etebo, that means his calculation is fake.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:34pm On Nov 10, 2016
Oasis007:

Spot on.

Was Azpilicueta a left-footed Player?! Yet he played LB for more than a Season at Chelsea.

You are even going far... Ben Iroha had a stronger right foot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 2:42pm On Nov 10, 2016
Oasis007:

Spot on.

Reminds me of the right footed guy, Okonkwo Chibuzo. Siasia used as a LB in Beijing Olympics and he was so so effective. I think once the player knows how to cover his channels, he is good to go.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
Very true... And not many know this. smiley
tbaba1234:

You are even going far... Ben Iroha had a stronger right foot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
Algeria To Play 3-4-3 After Injury To Napoli
Ace Faouzi Ghoulam, Spurs Loanee Set To Play As Wingback

The coach of the Algerian national team Georges Leekens will most likely set his team up in a 3-4-3 formation when they take on the Super Eagles of Nigeria this weekend.

Algeria are under pressure after drawing their first tie at home to Cameroun while Nigeria are
currently top of the group owing to their 2-1 win
over Zambia in Ndola.

However while the Nigerian team have been lucky with injuries in the build up to the game, same can’t be said about the Algerians who have had to contend with injury forced withdrawal of key players.

The latest casualty is Napoli ace Faouzi Ghoulam, and his absence could see Leekens switch his formation to a 3-4-3 style of play as opposed to his preferred 4-3-3.

Leekens plans to line up Cadamuro, Medjani and Mandi as part of a three man defence with West Ham United Sofiane Feghouli as the right wing back with Spurs loanee Nabil Bentaleb as the left wing back.

In the coming days a clear way of how the team will line up against Nigeria will be known but for now 3-4-3 look like the sure bet for the Algerians.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/10/algeria-to-play-3-4-3-after-injury-to-napoli-ace-faouzi-ghoulam-spurs-loanee-set-to-play-as-wingback/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:44pm On Nov 10, 2016
Super Eagles Coach Gernot Rohr Reveals True Reason Why Conte Isn’t Playing Mikel At Chelsea

John Obi Mikel lack of playing time at English
Premier League side Chelsea, according to the
coach of the Nigeria senior national team Gernot
Rohr is based on issues outside football.

Mikel is yet to play a competitive game under
coach Antonio Conte this season, which happens to be his 11th at Stamford Brige. A record that makes him the second oldest player in the team bar captain John Terry.

Rohr during the Super Eagles media parley was
asked about his opinion on the lack of game time, the captain of the Super Eagles is currently enduring and the Franco German coach who recently went to Chelsea to speak with the team’s hierarchy over Mikel’s situation defended his captain.

”Mikel was punished by Chelsea for playing at the Olympics for Nigeria. The new coach tried convincing him to stay but he went to defend his nation. I cannot punish him for not playing in his club” He said.

On his part Mikel voiced out his unhappiness over his lack of playing time but insist it does happen to players, and he is no exception.

”It’s not a good one but it does happen to
players”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/10/super-eagles-coach-gernot-rohr-reveals-true-reason-why-conte-isnt-playing-mikel-at-chelsea/

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (16149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Softbreastt, Bigmech and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.