Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,452 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (275) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11653181 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 7:29am On Nov 11, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

No need Pretending. You do not like Mikel. You just can not come out of the closet because of Mikel's consistent brilliant performances for the Nigerian teams.

FALSE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:30am On Nov 11, 2016
lakesidepapa:

"Rohr visited stamford bridge and spoke with mikel and the technical director of chelsea" and what's the outcome? See I love Mikel and love watching him while playing, don't get me wrong pls. Shey na only Mikel go to Olympic? Neymar didn't go to Olympic? This is the matter of importance, if Mikel is Important to Conte plan, he will be using him, He should just find another club next summer or else, he will rot at chelsea. That's all.

How can anybody compare Mikel situation to Neymar's? This is why our players ask for money becos we will never give them the respect they deserve.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:33am On Nov 11, 2016
Icon79:

But why then did Daniel displaced him in the Olympics team?

LOL. I am the original icon, bruh!
But not ICON4S right

Because Sir Icon4s clearly stated on a sports thread the other day that you are only trying to impersonate him.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

He that knows more than Chelsea's Technical Director.
Does the content of the post show that i know more than chelsea's technical director? or showing hatred towards Mikel? E Be like sey i no get the right to comment and say my mind on the thread anymore.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 7:53am On Nov 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

How can anybody compare Mikel situation to Neymar's? This is why our players ask for money becos we will never give them the respect they deserve.

Yes we can't compare Mikel situation with that of Neymar due to some factors but no how no how, it's getting too much for Conte if he's punishing Mikel for going to the Olympic which am not sure of and it's out of football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:42am On Nov 11, 2016
(PHOTO): Rohr Reacts As Iwobi’s Uncle Okocha Gatecrash Super Eagles Closed Door
Training Session

The Super Eagles of Nigeria close door training
session at the Nest of Champions stadium in Uyo
ahead of their clash against Algeria, had in
attendance former captain of the Super Eagles
Austin Okocha.

Dressed in a black top and brown coloured pants, the former Bolton Wanderers captain was the only unofficial member of the team granted access to the training by the security operatives at the stadium.

Okocha who is the uncle of Arsenal 20 year old
forward Alex Iwobi arrived at the pitch shortly
before the start of training, and was given a
rousing reception by coach of the team Gernot
Rohr.

Rohr addressed the players on how Okocha
helped boost the image of Nigerian players in
Europe, which according to him has impacted in
the career of most of the players in his team and
Nigeria at large.

“He did so much for the reputation of Nigerian
football players and some of you are profiting
from that. And we must thank him for bringing us to here.” He told the players before the start of training.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/11/photo-rohr-reacts-as-iwobis-uncle-okocha-gatecrash-super-eagles-closed-door-training-session/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:45am On Nov 11, 2016
lakesidepapa:

Does the content of the post show that i know more than chelsea's technical director? or showing hatred towards Mikel? E Be like sey i no get the right to comment and say my mind on the thread anymore.

After Rohr said he met with Mikel and the Technical Director of Chelsea, then explained why Mikel is not playing, you chose to carry on the gospel of Mikel not fitting into Conte's system.

I wonder how that is showing Mikel love and not you showing you know more than the Emenalo.
cheesy grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:47am On Nov 11, 2016
lakesidepapa:

FALSE

TRUE.
tongue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:49am On Nov 11, 2016
New team energy excites Mikel

Mikel Obi

Super Eagles captain, John Mikel Obi says much
has changed with the Nigeria national team since Gernot Rohr replaced Sunday Oliseh as the head of coaching duties.

The Chelsea midfielder says the team now plays
with ‘energy’ with the young players ‘always
calling for the ball’.

He reckons these and other factors will propel the Super Eagles to victory in Saturday’s 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifier against Algeria.

“We have a very good and young team. The
manager (Gernot Rohr) has come in and he has
made a lot of changes to the team.

“He has brought in a lot of new players and I
think it is quite clear to see from the way we play these days.

“There’s a lot more energy to our game and
players like Kelechi (Iheanacho), (Alex) Iwobi and the others are always calling for the ball because we generally want to express ourselves a lot more.

“That is something we have improved on lately,”

Mikel said at a press conference in Uyo on
Thursday.

Mikel also revealed that Rohr consistently insists
that the players win back possession as soon as
possible whenever the team loses the ball.

He said the tactic will remain unchanged when
they face the dangerous Algerians on Saturday.

“One thing the manager always likes us to do is to win back possession quickly whenever we lose the ball.

“What this translates into is that we always have possession of the ball.

“We have done that very well in the last two
games (versus Tanzania and Zambia) we have
played and hopefully, against Algeria on
Saturday, we will carry it over from the Zambia
game and play a good game,” he said.

Saturday’s game at the Godswill Akpabio
International Stadium, Uyo will kick off at 5pm.

Source: http://mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/161111/New_team_energy_excites_Mikel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:50am On Nov 11, 2016
lakesidepapa:

"Rohr visited stamford bridge and spoke with mikel and the technical director of chelsea" and what's the outcome? See I love Mikel and love watching him while playing, don't get me wrong pls. Shey na only Mikel go to Olympic? Neymar didn't go to Olympic? This is the matter of importance, if Mikel is Important to Conte plan, he will be using him, He should just find another club next summer or else, he will rot at chelsea. That's all.

The Outcome of Rohr's visit to Chelsea was the confirmation of the fears in the hearts of millions of Nigerians. This is not fitting into the Plan of Conte. Conte confirmed before the start of this season that Mikel was a player he needed to win games.

So dismiss that not fitting into his plans. The Team Manager of the Super Eagles took the effort to find out what was wrong. You did not. So that gospel you are preaching is far from the truth.

Case Dismiss.
Yara Yara, hit the gravel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:01am On Nov 11, 2016
Rohr claims Eagles are solid between the sticks

[img]http://images.supersport.com/2016/11/akpeyi=bpp-80.jpg[/img]
Akpeyi

The absence of erstwhile first choice goal keeper Carl Ikeme for Saturday’s 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifier between Nigeria and Algeria will not affect the Super Eagles.

This is the view of the Nigeria Technical Adviser,
Gernot Rohr.

Rohr is currently working with three goalkeepers, Daniel Akpeyi, Dele Alampasu and Ikechukwu Ezenwa for Saturday’s game against Algeria and the trainer is adamant the trio are in fine fettle to face the Fennec Foxes.

“I am confident (in the ability) of all the players
who are here (in Uyo); it is not just the goal
keepers.

“I have been monitoring all the players and what they have been doing at their clubs.

“Daniel (Akpeyi) for instance has played seven
games in the last three weeks for his club (Chippa United).

“He was substituted just before the end of the
last game he played for his club but it was only
done as (a precautionary measure) so there is
really nothing to worry about as far as fitness is
concerned for him.

“He has big experience; he played in Egypt (for
Nigeria) with about sixty or seventy thousand
people present in the Stadium and did very well.

“He has also been producing good performances for his club (Chippa United),” Rohr said.

The experienced tactician then discussed the
prospects of Alampasu who he described as one
‘for the future’

“I am also confident in the young Dele Alampasu. He is playing now in the second division having been loaned to Cesarense (a Potuguese side that campaign in the Terceira Divisão Série B).

“We know that perhaps Alampasu is one for the
future. Since I came in (became coach of the
Super Eagles), I tried to see a lot of young players because I believe we have a lot of good young talent.

“We also have some experienced players like our captain (John Mikel Obi) who can help the young players.

“So the mixture of young and experienced
players is good for our team,” he said.

Source: http://mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/161111/Rohr_claims_Eagles_are_solid_between_the_sticks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:13am On Nov 11, 2016
Look like we will have Akpeyi and Alampasu as the keepers for the game.

TheSuperNerd:
Rohr claims Eagles are solid between the sticks

[img]http://images.supersport.com/2016/11/akpeyi=bpp-80.jpg[/img]

The absence of erstwhile first choice goal keeper Carl Ikeme for Saturday’s 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifier between Nigeria and Algeria will not affect the Super Eagles.

This is the view of the Nigeria Technical Adviser,
Gernot Rohr.

Rohr is currently working with three goalkeepers, Daniel Akpeyi, Dele Alampasu and Ikechukwu Ezenwa for Saturday’s game against Algeria and the trainer is adamant the trio are in fine fettle to face the Fennec Foxes.

“I am confident (in the ability) of all the players
who are here (in Uyo); it is not just the goal
keepers.

“I have been monitoring all the players and what they have been doing at their clubs.

“Daniel (Akpeyi) for instance has played seven
games in the last three weeks for his club (Chippa United).

“He was substituted just before the end of the
last game he played for his club but it was only
done as (a precautionary measure) so there is
really nothing to worry about as far as fitness is
concerned for him.

“He has big experience; he played in Egypt (for
Nigeria) with about sixty or seventy thousand
people present in the Stadium and did very well.

“He has also been producing good performances for his club (Chippa United),” Rohr said.

The experienced tactician then discussed the
prospects of Alampasu who he described as one
‘for the future’

“I am also confident in the young Dele Alampasu. He is playing now in the second division having been loaned to Cesarense (a Potuguese side that campaign in the Terceira Divisão Série B).

“We know that perhaps Alampasu is one for the
future. Since I came in (became coach of the
Super Eagles), I tried to see a lot of young players because I believe we have a lot of good young talent.

“We also have some experienced players like our captain (John Mikel Obi) who can help the young players.

“So the mixture of young and experienced
players is good for our team,” he said.

Source: http://mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/161111/Rohr_claims_Eagles_are_solid_between_the_sticks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 9:14am On Nov 11, 2016
Pidgin Friday : We Carry Mat Come ooo
Wahala dey oooo
Na quarrel ?
Wetin we do now ?
Dis is a strong something ooo
Chai !!!
Abi Naija do us juju nii
See as our superstars dey fall yakata for ground
See big man like Soudani for pain
Though we hear say na fine playa
We don watch am for YouTube
We don view him fine picture
But the juju no even allow us know Ounas from Adam
Ahmed Musa na our Aboki
He tell us the place fine(Uyo)
He talk say dem set die(Girls)
Who no like faaji
We no want una Acid(water)
We go manage mat biko
Una pillow get Aba foam joor
Who spoon help sef
Ewo oooo
See fine chicks
Dem no dey hide am ?
Walahi,I go comeback
Abeg wake me
Abi I dey sleep ?
Oga driver ooooo(Pilot)
Why you con drop us for Dubai
Helep ooo
See basket ooo(Uyo Stadium)
Dem wan chop us abi
Para ! Para !! Paradise !!!
http://nigfooty..co.ke/2016/11/pidgin-friday-we-carry-mat-come-ooo.html?m=1

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:28am On Nov 11, 2016
These algerians came with their pillows, odikpa serious o!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 9:28am On Nov 11, 2016
Icon79:

But why then did Daniel displaced him in the Olympics team?

LOL. I am the original icon, bruh!
original wetin, abeg don't say that again o, we know the stakeholders here, oga icon4s na the original, be careful abeg.....don't impersonate.....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 9:30am On Nov 11, 2016
Sunnypa11:
Pidgin Friday : We Carry Mat Come ooo
Wahala dey oooo
Na quarrel ?
Wetin we do now ?
Dis is a strong something ooo
Chai !!!
Abi Naija do us juju nii
See as our superstars dey fall yakata for ground
See big man like Soudani for pain
Though we hear say na fine playa
We don watch am for YouTube
We don view him fine picture
But the juju no even allow us know Ounas from Adam
Ahmed Musa na our Aboki
He tell us the place fine(Uyo)
He talk say dem set die(Girls)
Who no like faaji
We no want una Acid(water)
We go manage mat biko
Una pillow get Aba foam joor
Who spoon help sef
Ewo oooo
See fine chicks
Dem no dey hide am ?
Walahi,I go comeback
Abeg wake me
Abi I dey sleep ?
Oga driver ooooo(Pilot)
Why you con drop us for Dubai
Helep ooo
See basket ooo(Uyo Stadium)
Dem wan chop us abi
Para ! Para !! Paradise !!!
http://nigfooty..co.ke/2016/11/pidgin-friday-we-carry-mat-come-ooo.html?m=1
tis people even carry pillow come?....Na wa ya o....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 11, 2016
in keshi's voice... "white dudes'"

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

After Rohr said he met with Mikel and the Technical Director of Chelsea, then explained why Mikel is not playing, you chose to carry on the gospel of Mikel not fitting into Conte's system.

I wonder how that is showing Mikel love and not you showing you know more than the Emenalo.
cheesy grin grin

Then what did the director of chelsea explained for Mikel not playing? Because of going to Olympic? Funny.!

Oga Joe, I no gree with u on this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 11:00am On Nov 11, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
TRUE. tongue
Honestly, u don't knw my mind. I don't hate him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Slimydude49(m): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2016
Just saw an article on goal.com about Nigeria Vs Algeria COMBINED starting eleven and only 4 Nigerian players made it from Nigeria.. Truth be told the Algerian side oozes quality.. Even their coach said a draw won't be a bad result for them.. Scary line up I must confess #nervous
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olapluto(m): 11:27am On Nov 11, 2016
Slimydude49:
Just saw an article on goal.com about Nigeria Vs Algeria COMBINED starting eleven and only 4 Nigerian players made it from Nigeria.. Truth be told the Algerian side oozes quality.. Even their coach said a draw won't be a bad result for them.. Scary line up I must confess #nervous
The problem with making combined 11 is that it is always unrealistic. It also depends on big names, rather than player effectiveness in a team. In the Algerian team, I have only watched 4 of their players at close range. Of those 4, Mahrez is the standout, and Slimani will not Bench Ideye or Ighodalo.
As bad as Omeruo is, he is still better than their centre backs that played against Cameroon. They are a pacy side, but not technically grounded all round.

Lastly, coach Rohr revealed a secret weapon yesterday. He spoke about his assistant coach who also was former Algerian assistant coach. I believe the coaches understand the Algerian team more than we imagine.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:40am On Nov 11, 2016
a day to D-day can't wait!

big twale to mikel i will admit i'm not his greatest fan but this recent revelation by rohr that he put his country first to the potential detriment of his club career really wowed me. now that's a legend and true captain. to think he did that to come and face the rubbish the sports ministry/nff served up during the olympics men enough respect to him. it might be early days but i think he will turn out to be one of the best captains the super eagles ever had.

if there's anyone on this thread going to the uyo stadium tomorrow i appeal to you and the other fans to give the SE unconditional support before, during and after the match. we are facing a formidable opponent so the team needs us the 12th man to give them every encouragement they need. make the uyo stadium an intimidating, noisy cauldron that will intimidate the algerians. please no booing of our super eagles or cheering of the algerians. in the words of the incomparable bette milder let's be the wind beneath our eagles wings.

#FLYSUPEREAGLES

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 11:44am On Nov 11, 2016
Guys, i want to bring this to our notice here. i wonder why has Godfrey Oboabona been frozen out of the NT and yet we claim to have a RB problem. They kept inviting a musa mohammed they don't trust & won't use claiming rustiness & also converting a slow shehu- a defensive midfieder- as right back. I believe we all saw the case of ndidi as right back against zambia. why is it that we don't always do the right thing. Mr Rohr has two nigerians with him who probably knows the local league & probably would have seen Oboabona played as right back for sunshine star very well because i have seen him does that even on continental matches. why not invite him. he is a centre back & as well a good fullback. I can bet he is better than the lot they have at the moment. Or has he offended the nff goons?smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 11:46am On Nov 11, 2016
These Algerians are fetish & shallow minded. They are always playing mind games. why the pillows & blanket?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2016
zoboizee:
Guys, i want to bring this to our notice here. i wonder why has Godfrey Oboabona been frozen out of the NT and yet we claim to have a RB problem. They kept inviting a musa mohammed they don't trust & won't use claiming rustiness & also converting a slow shehu- a defensive midfieder- as right back. I believe we all saw the case of ndidi as right back against zambia. why is it that we don't always do the right thing. Mr Rohr has two nigerians with him who probably knows the local league & probably would have seen Oboabona played as right back for sunshine star very well because i have seen him does that even on continental matches. why not invite him. he is a centre back & as well a good fullback. I can bet he is better than the lot they have at the moment. Or has he offended the nff goons?smiley

Oboabana is not a right back. The last time, he played right back for Nigeria against Uganda, he was a disaster. The solution to our right back issues could be this Ebuehi kid or Brian Idowu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:25pm On Nov 11, 2016
If the Algerians like make dem bring their own pitch sef and stadium sef.... They for carry house come sef...... grin bunch of shallow-minded people all in the name of claiming "seriousness" in a world cup qualifier... North Africans have trust issues!!! Haba!!!

As they lay their mats and beds on THE GROUND to sleep so shall they be "GROUNDED" come saturday..... grin

Abeg, meanwhile, Yara Yara and I saw this news and know it's likely "just a rumour" coz Barca have Paco Alcacer (alibeit he's not impressed... But may need time) and also have Munir Out on loan at Valencia... But still...... Ehmmm... wink

Cc: TheGoodJoe.... **He may not like this** lolll

Barcelona planning £16.8m Iheanacho move

[img]http://1.bp..com/-jzQJRvIBu7g/WCV6zCD3x5I/AAAAAAAACBA/7Gy724LrUVMVszJHgPSM82MZ_IGLVO85wCLcB/s1600/Iheanacho-Scores.jpg[/img]

According to SportingLife, Spanish champions Barcelona are monitoring the progress of Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho and are ready to lure him away from the Etihad with a bid of £16.8m in the summer.

The 20-year-old had a remarkable 2015/16season in his premier league debut, scoring eight times as he helped Manchester City qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

However, he caught the eye as he average a goal every 81.27 minutes which was better than
the ratio achieved by more accomplished strikers Luis Suarez (83.77),Cristiano Ronaldo
(84.21) and Lionel Messi (95.95).

According to reports, the Nigerian who has already scored four times times with three assists this season is monitored closely by Barcelona after manager Luiz Enrique identified him as one who could fit into his playing
style at the Nou Camp.

Barcelona currently possess the best attacking trio in world football, Lionel Messi, Luis
Suarez, and Neymar but Paco Alcácer has failed to shine as a back-up which has made the
Catalans turn focus to Iheanacho.

It is unlikely that Barcelona will prize the Nigerian away from the Etihad in January as Pep
Guardiola considers him an integral part of the squad and showed faith in him by extending
his contract to 2021 but the Catalans are willing to test their resolve to sell at the end of the
current season.

Source: http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/11/barcelona-planning-168m-iheanacho-move.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:32pm On Nov 11, 2016
Sunnypa11's Pix reports of the Algerians' "Bring-our-own-stuffs and leave-nuffin-to-chance" madness is more comprehensive but lemme just add this.... wink

(PHOTO)- REAL BUSINESS-Algeria Arrived
Nigeria With Pillows, Packed Food, Water And Even Bed Sheets

The Desert Foxes of Algeria are leaving nothing to chance in their bid to get a positive result that will improve their chances of qualifying for the World Cup 2018 in Russia.

Algeria will take on Nigeria tomorrow and upon
arrival in Uyo, venue of the game against the
group leaders, the players and officials of the
team travelled with almost everything they will be needing while in Nigeria.

Owngoalnigeria.com correspondent who
witnessed their arrival report that the team came with consumables like packed foods, bottled water and a chef,who will handle their kitchen.

It appears they have resolve not to use anything bar the accommodation provided by their host, as they were also seen with sleeping pillows and even bed sheet.

Owngoalnigeria.com was able to get pictures of
some players with the pillow and bed spread, no
thanks to the immigration officials who refused
our cameraman access to take pictures of their
packed food and drinks.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/11/photo-real-business-algeria-arrived-nigeria-with-pillows-packed-food-water-and-even-bed-sheets/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
NIGERIA WANT TO BE AT 2018 WORLD CUP -
MIKEL

Super Eagles of Nigeria

Nigeria captain Mikel Obi has said they hope to be at the 2018 World Cup in Russia and so will give everything to extend their fine run in the
qualifiers after a 2-1 win in Zambia last month.

The Super Eagles will take on Algeria at the in
continuation of the World Cup qualifiers inside the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo tomorrow.

Mikel said the team appreciate the importance of this particular game and its ramifications for
Nigeria’s march to a sixth FIFA World Cup finals.

“We all know what this match means, why we have to give everything,” said the 29-year-old midfielder.

“Yes, we started the race well by winning in
Zambia, but we have to approach this match
even more seriously.

“The Algerians will come with determination and they will play hard, but we will play harder.

“The World Cup is the biggest stage; every player wants to be there. I am happy we have such a young and energetic team.

“I played at the World Cup in Brazil in 2014 but
there are many of these players who have never
been to the World Cup. They want to be there.”

Nigeria represented Africa at the 1994, 1998,
2002, 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cup finals,
reaching the Round of 16 in 1994, 1998 and

Nigeria and Algeria were Africa’s best teams at
the last World Cup finals, in Brazil, each eliminated in the Round of 16 on the same day:

Nigeria fell to France and Algeria were pipped by Germany.

The rivalry between Nigeria and Algeria at senior level is one of the fiercest in African football.

Nigeria beat Algeria to win her first Africa Cup of
Nations in 1980; 10 years later, Algeria beat
Nigeria to win her first Cup of Nations.

Algeria beat Nigeria to qualify for her first FIFA
World Cup - Spain 1982; Nigeria beat Algeria to
qualify for her first FIFA World Cup – USA 1994.

The first meeting between both teams, at the All-Africa Games that Nigeria hosted in 1973, ended 2-2.

Algeria enjoyed a three –match winning streak
against Nigeria between October 1981 and March 1982, but Nigeria have won the last four
confrontations between both nations.

The Super Eagles have never lost a World Cup
qualifying home match outside of Lagos. And
they have lost only one out of six World Cup
qualifying matches played in the month of
November, winning the remaining five.

The Algerians hit Uyo on Thursday evening with a delegation of 61 persons, aboard a chartered
flight, and will have the official training on the
pitch of Godswill Akpabio International Stadium
on Friday evening.

They were received at the Ibom International
Airport by NFF deputy general secretary,
Emmanuel Ikpeme, and protocol officer, Emmanuel Ayanbunmi.

The match officials, led by Hassan Osama Atta
Ibrahim El Manan (match commissioner from
Sudan) slept in Lagos on Thursday, to hit Uyo on Friday.

The referee is Gambian Bakary Papa Gassama,
with Jean-Claude Birumushahu (Burundi) as
assistant referee 1; Marwa Range (Kenya) as
assistant referee 2 and; Maudo Jallow (Gambia) as fourth official.

Jean-Olivier Mbera from Gabon will serve as
referee assessor and Kenyan Nicholas Chumba
Musonye will be security officer.

The match kicks off at 5pm on Saturday.

EAGLES’ WORLD CUP MATCHES IN NOVEMBER

8 Nov 1969: Nigeria 2 Morocco 0 (Ibadan)

12 Nov 1977: Nigeria 0 Tunisia 1 (Lagos)

4 Nov 1984: Liberia 0 Nigeria 1 (Monrovia)

9 Nov 1996: Nigeria 2 Burkina Faso 0 (Lagos)

14 Nov 2009: Kenya 2 Nigeria 3 (Nairobi)

13 Nov 2013: Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0 (Calabar)

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/663154/Nigeria-want-to-be-at-2018-World-Cup-Mikel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
If the Algerians like make dem bring their own pitch sef and stadium sef.... They for carry house come sef...... grin bunch of shallow-minded people all in the name of claiming "seriousness" in a world cup qualifier... North Africans have trust issues!!! Haba!!!

As they lay their mats and beds on THE GROUND to sleep so shall they be "GROUNDED" come saturday..... grin

Abeg, meanwhile, Yara Yara and I saw this news and know it's likely "just a rumour" coz Barca have Paco Alcacer (alibeit he's not impressed... But may need time) and also have Munir Out on loan at Valencia... But still...... Ehmmm... wink

[img]http://1.bp..com/-jzQJRvIBu7g/WCV6zCD3x5I/AAAAAAAACBA/7Gy724LrUVMVszJHgPSM82MZ_IGLVO85wCLcB/s1600/Iheanacho-Scores.jpg[/img]

According to SportingLife, Spanish champions Barcelona are monitoring the progress of Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho and are ready to lure him away from the Etihad with a bid of £16.8m in the summer.

The 20-year-old had a remarkable 2015/16season in his premier league debut, scoring eight times as he helped Manchester City qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

However, he caught the eye as he average a goal every 81.27 minutes which was better than
the ratio achieved by more accomplished strikers Luis Suarez (83.77),Cristiano Ronaldo

According to reports, the Nigerian who has already scored four times times with three assists this season is monitored closely by Barcelona after manager Luiz Enrique identified him as one who could fit into his playing
style at the Nou Camp.

Barcelona currently possess the best attacking trio in world football, Lionel Messi, Luis
Suarez, and Neymar but Paco Alcácer has failed to shine as a back-up which has made the

It is unlikely that Barcelona will prize the Nigerian away from the Etihad in January as Pep
Guardiola considers him an integral part of the squad and showed faith in him by extending
his contract to 2021 but the Catalans are willing to test their resolve to sell at the end of the
current season.

Source: http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/11/barcelona-planning-168m-iheanacho-move.html?m=1
I say if there is any iota truth about this,he should grab it with both hands,it's the same thing there,to understudy messi,like Aguero.
But Barca will need more than £16.8 to price him away from City
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

style at the Nou Camp.

current season.

Unfortunately, City rates Iheanacho far higher than that. Iheanacho will suit the Barcelona philosophy but he is at home at City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:28pm On Nov 11, 2016
safarigirl please check your mail.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2016
We wont know for sure until match day tomorrow, but if this is it? What formation is best to counter it? Our 4-2-3-1 can most definitely strive against this..... Any other?
Algeria Go For 4-3-3 Formation Vs Nigeria As
Projected Starting XI Revealed

Nigeria face Algeria in a tricky World Cup qualifier at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium in Uyo on Saturday.

DZ Foot has predicted the starting line-up that
new Desert Foxes manager Leekens will field
against the Nigeria team.

The Belgian manager had proclaimed that he
would be cautious against the Super Eagles, but
that appears to be a smokescreen with up to five offensive players starting the game from the very first minute in his 4-3-3 formation.

Based on the projections, Antalyaspor goalkeeper Raïs M’Bolhi starts in goal, while fit again Ghoulam, Belkaroui, Mandi and Ziti are the
defenders.

CD Leganés star Medjani starts in defensive
midfield and Tottenham Hotspur loanee Bentaleb and Bologna ace Taider complete the midfield three.

Leicester City record buy Slimani will lead the line and he will be flanked by teammate Mahrez and Brahimi.

Algeria Starting XI: M’Bolhi, Ghoulam,
Belkaroui, Mandi, Ziti; Medjani, Bentaleb, Taider,
Slimani, Mahrez and Brahimi

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21042

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheSuperNerd(m), uchenna55, solonnachi and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.