Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (286) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647022 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:28pm On Nov 12, 2016
Hehehehe.... And it is happening LIVE in the toughest "group of death" ever in African football history... Looolllll

**sips tea** #GreatSuperEagles Indeed...

joseph1013:
For your information: This represents Nigeria's best start to a FIFA WC qualifying campaign ever. 2 games. 2 wins. 6 points. Leading group by 4 points already.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:28pm On Nov 12, 2016
AIG07:
I'm happy not because we won. But simply because we got a master tactician n a great man manager in Rohr.

Sir. TheGoodJoe!
Hope u saw our boy Nacho today(how I wish he scored) ?
Nacho's role n performance today shows us that d no 9 role isn't d best place to play him. His abilities are best seen in a 10,8 or been flanked in a 4-2-3-1.

But all kudos goes to Rohr for taking those bold steps.
First, for benching Ighalo n Ideye, for bringing in Ndidi for Mikel who was more offensive today and lastly for given moses a call up(our local coaches would have miss handle d t due to their egos)...

Iwobi is good but it's time he starts getting physical for that's what african football is about.(but d lad got some footwork just like his uncle did anyone see that carry-over)

Moses is d man. Wait, where did he got that strength from?
He was simply spectacular!

Akpeyi was jittery today-we still Enyeama as a backup for carl.

Finally, we need a natural 9 for that is d biggest hole we need to fill n sort out our fullbacks issue. It won't be bad if we have backups for Ekong n Balogun(their pairing has broughit solidity to d defence...

Once again congratulations to everyone.
Ride on Eagles
we are going back to where we belong to-the very top.

Good additions with some accurate point but I disagree with your opinion on Nacho today.

The first thing to notice is how many times we played the ball out from the back. It was normal for us but difficult for the Algerians.

Nacho kept running and pressing so they could not build well. With a natural number nine, without Nacho's work rate would give the Algerians room to build.

Also, his addition to that role gave us room to bring in Etebo, who was an ox on the field. I do not see Rohr dropping Etebo. He is key to our success in coming games.

Most pressure is always from the defenders. So the passes to Nacho was not smooth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:32pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mickael2:

Nah, I saw him caught out of position a couple of times. My MOM is obviously Moses, followed by ETEBO!!! The guy was running for 90 mins, marking, fighting, pressing, hassling, everything! Echejile was ok, but Omeruo comes next for me before Balogun

Before Balogun?? are you kidding me? I can allow Moses and Etebo but after that it has to be Balogun. He was immense..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:32pm On Nov 12, 2016
Oasis007:

I do not understand those saying the Ref was poor!

Cc TheGoodJoe

I repeat, Offside is not a call by the referee. It is a call made by the linesman. The referee made calls in favour of the Algerians over us. A good example was the Nacho case when an Algerian defender fouled Nacho and the referee waved play on. Nacho struggled ad won the ball and the referee blew foul.

There were many calls like that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:34pm On Nov 12, 2016
Oasis007:

What of if the Ref blew it as Offside?!

The linesman's flag is up. The referee can not see Offside positions from where he stands. He blows to the linesman's flag.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 8:35pm On Nov 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Ndidi:

Now that is how a player makes a big statement. His first long pass to the left answered a big question in my heart. Is he comfortable on the ball? Yes he is.

He brought balance to the midfield with his interceptions. He covered the gaps in the midfield and neutralised the defence.

A promising player for our defensive midfield and showed we can trust him when he gets the chance.
Nice analysis, keep it up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Balogun was dominant today... But Moses is my man of the match. Minus his two goals, he was everywhere up and down his channel and helped Echiejile greatly....... Mahrez no see ball play sef like that...

AFRICA IS LUCKY WE ARENT COMING FOR AFCON 2017..... DEM FOR HEAR AM!!!!!

Meanwhile, Iheanacho as a no.9 didnt work out well today. His only shot was that late chance he missed after fine pass from musa from the right wing.

Iheanacho strives more as "the-man-behind-the-striker", no.10/no.8 for Nigeria.

The false 9 attempt by Rohr didnt work as he was isolated oftentimes and was only involved in the build-up to our second goal....

He can play the false 9 but it's strange to Nigeria right now... So he was isolated.

THIS SUPER EAGLES TEAM JUST SENT A MESSAGE TO THE REST OF AFRICA... AFTER RUSSIA 2018. WE ARE COMING IN FULL FORCE FROM AFCON 2019... A NEW GOLDEN ERA IS HERE INDEED. That's the name of the thread afterall... wink

I think you guys are underestimating the quality of the Algerians. Defensively, they set up to make it difficult for Nacho. So it would prove difficult. However, his attributes helped the team excel today. Especially the flanking players, Mikel and Etebo.

It is not about individual glory but the whole picture if the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2016
Jefersoun:
Nice analysis, keep it up.

Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2016
Guys, we have to discuss o. Kelechi is not effective as a lone striker as seen in City and Eagles yet if he has to play as a SS, one of the guys in the midfield today would have to go (Etebo, Mikel, Onazi/Ndidi). How practicable is this?

cc: tbaba1234, thesupernerd, thegoodjoe, Michael2, goldfish80, icon4s, et al
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2016
Congrats everyone, very nice game.....am very very happy presently..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 8:40pm On Nov 12, 2016
Congratulations everyone boys did us proud. Victor Moses beast mode, Balogun our own BFG, Mikel not general FIELD MARSHAL, Etebo Duracell battery long lasting, Elderson came to the party, akpeyi thanks for your service to the nation now GERRAHIA MEN!, everyone else good shift put in.

Will do a more comprehensive analysis later for now let's CELEBRATE!

Goodjoe, supernerd, Icon, Mikael, tbaba, safarigirl and anyone else I forgot to mention YOU ALL ROCK!!!

Thank GOD!!!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:40pm On Nov 12, 2016
We still have Success and Aluko not in the squad. Now that is what I call having a hot choice of players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:44pm On Nov 12, 2016
Rohr:

What a tactician. Shocking that he just started building his team and they are already squashing Africa's number one.

Wonder what this victory does to our ranking. Rohr's handling of Moses issue is brilliant and His work on Echiejile shows he is a master at bringing out the best in players.

We salute Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:44pm On Nov 12, 2016
AIG07:
Baba Icon4s-you said it and t was so-170th goal was scored today.

I throway salute to you, TheSuperNerd n Sir. Napoleon55. You so on point.

Yeah man. By God's Grace we will get the 180th in this same qualifiers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:46pm On Nov 12, 2016
joseph1013:
Guys, we have to discuss o. Kelechi is not effective as a lone striker as seen in City and Eagles yet if he has to play as a SS, one of the guys in the midfield today would have to go (Etebo, Mikel, Onazi/Ndidi). How practicable is this?

I say leave him there. Judge him against a less organised defensive side. The Algerians were solid at the back. That was why it proved difficult for Iheanacho.

Remember his missed header?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:49pm On Nov 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Ndidi:

Now that is how a player makes a big statement. His first long pass to the left answered a big question in my heart. Is he comfortable on the ball? Yes he is.

He brought balance to the midfield with his interceptions. He covered the gaps in the midfield and neutralised the defence.

A promising player for our defensive midfield and showed we can trust him when he gets the chance.

Yes, a promising player for the DM but he was offensive today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olapluto(m): 8:53pm On Nov 12, 2016
We could qualify as early as gameday 4. That will be a Nigerian record!
The Cameroonian team is very static and Iwobi and Nacho must be licking their lips.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Slimydude49(m): 8:53pm On Nov 12, 2016
joseph1013:

iwobi Is mostly likely to be dropped to accomodate nacho on the wings
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Good additions with some accurate point but I disagree with your opinion on Nacho today.

The first thing to notice is how many times we played the ball out from the back. It was normal for us but difficult for the Algerians.

Nacho kept running and pressing so they could not build well. With a natural number nine, without Nacho's work rate would give the Algerians room to build.

Also, his addition to that role gave us room to bring in Etebo, who was an ox on the field. I do not see Rohr dropping Etebo. He is key to our success in coming games.

Most pressure is always from the defenders. So the passes to Nacho was not smooth.

Iheanacho was bad, lets be honest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:55pm On Nov 12, 2016
joseph1013:

I was not comfortable with Iheanacho as a lone striker. That boy is an AM/ SS.

Even at City he does nt perform well as a lone striker.

We missed Iheanacho today.

Jst when Rohr thought he has solved the CF player problem he finds out that Iheanacho is not the right player for the CF job.

To me Ighalo and Ideye are not any better.

Isaac (the beast) Success could be the man for that role going forward. We need to bundle him to TB Joshua for deliverance from injuries first.

I would like to see him and Kayode invited for the friendly(ies) in march.

Iheanacho can go back to his number 10 role.
Meaning Etebo will need to fight for a place as either a winger or CMF and that means more competition - what we always clamour for.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2016
Nice game from our darling super eagles, Rohr god bless you, Elderson fantastic display, mikel nchekube odogwu a joy to watch. Moses .....don't know what to say

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:59pm On Nov 12, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Apart from the cross from Shehu, Iheanacho did not get any clear cut chance from the midfield. That was how organised the Algerians were. I doubt we can categorise that as bad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Some people here fit chop u because of this comment. U better take cover.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Rohr:

What a tactician. Shocking that he just started building his team and they are already squashing Africa's number one.

Wonder what this victory does to our ranking. Rohr's handling of Moses issue is brilliant and His work on Echiejile shows he is a master at bringing out the best in players.

We salute Rohr.
Bro that's my major joy o,, i on't want us to be drawn in the group of death in world cup... And am like tongue tongue undecided to that coach that rejected the Eagles job, reading terms and condition for nff. Already given reasons to fail before even getting the job.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 9:02pm On Nov 12, 2016
grin

Super Eagles may become a Team made of Foreign-born Nigerians. If Ebuehi eventually makes it to the Team, it would be only Echiejile - the blackman in the defence!

Keeper - Carl Ikeme
RB - Ebuehi
CB - Ekong
CB - Balogun
LB -?!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 9:03pm On Nov 12, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Nacho was no bad, Nacho and slimani who was the more better player today, Nacho did very well, made space for other players to come, you see him on several occasions calling his SS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:04pm On Nov 12, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Apart from the cross from Shehu, Iheanacho did not get any clear cut chance from the midfield. That was how organised the Algerians were. I doubt we can categorise that as bad.

He makes more impact as an AM/SS.

I fancy Success more in that role.
We can even try Ahmed Musa as a CF in a friendly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2016
Wat i took from this match is that we have a complete team. Everybody has been talking about Iheanacho, Iwobi and Mikel but we forgot about Vic, the guy came to prove a point, he was as hungry as any npfl player could be, the man just kept running my goodness. This team is so stacked, Algeria and their cook are leaving like what just hit us? Just shows on any night we have players good enough to make a difference.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2016
Slimydude49:
Only when we have either success or kayode.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:08pm On Nov 12, 2016
Icon4s:

He makes more impact as an AM/SS.

I fancy Success more in that role.
We can even try Ahmed Musa as a CF in a friendly.

Iheanacho is definitely a better choice than Musa. His pressing and running makes him vital to us. Something he did very well today. Also, judge after few games.

You guys gave Ighalo ages and want Iheanacho out after one game. Iheanacho got into that position after impressing the coach in training.

In a less organised defence and out players creating chances for him, we can judge Nacho then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:08pm On Nov 12, 2016
Slimydude49:

Hahaha. I dnt think so. Rohr knows the value of "big club players" in a team.

He would rather drop Etebo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phamarsenal: 9:09pm On Nov 12, 2016
I can't but hold my joy for did wonderful victory, d number one team in Africa was masacxered by d free flowing football of the eagles, rohr got his selection sport on. mahrez was no where to be found. to be honest I think everyone who has been following d eagles since rohr took over all saw dis victory coming so am not all dat suprised , even from d first game against Tanzania we all knew a new era has began. d man knwd d strength of each of d players and deciphered a formation dat could contain it, I said it in one of my former post dat etebo would be d joker in dat team, and it turned out to be so. d young man was full of running, disrupting d play of d Algerians. I tink dey were lucky to conceded three goals. they brought out d beast in d super eagles and d coach with dat goal dey scored, even d substitutions were spot on. there is nothing stopping us from qualifying from d group NCOs even d camerounians HV noting to offer

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: twentyk(m), Amedino99(m), robosky02(m), elyte89, KpagoGIN(m), Kog45(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.