Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (304) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11681638 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (16153) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:12pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Even Michael Essien no wan gree.... grin

GHANA ARE BETTER THAN NIGERIA, SAYS
MICHAEL ESSIEN

The former Chelsea player gave the nod to the
Black Stars at the expense of in-form Super
Eagles while praising his former teammate
Former Ghana international Michael Essien has
chosen his country as the better side ahead of
Nigeria, regardless of their present form.

The former Chelsea midfielder who severally lined up for the Black Stars against the Super Eagles in his playing days made the choice despite Gernot Rohr's side head-turning performances.

While Avram Grant's men failed to stamp their
authority in the 2018 World Cup qualifying series, the 58-time international capped player revealed his choice in an interview with BBC.

The 33-year-old also named his former Chelsea
teammate John Obi Mikel as a contender for the
outfit’s top prize.

Watch the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFhYpajHKI

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/11/14/29471612/ghana-are-better-than-nigeria-says-michael-essien

The enemy i love so much. No need to talk baby boy ur FA has our FA's number lets set up a friendly anywhere in the world and find out. We can even make it a series best of 3, we probably won't see u in the world cup anyways so wats there to lose? lol.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

We must move on from that no matter if we were right or wrong. Algeria lost Zidane, Guinea lost Pogba, infact the Euro final was filled with lost players.

I know but I don't want us to make the same mistake again hence the need to remind us.

Sheyi Ojo, Moses Odubanjo, Tyronne Ebuechi, Ola Aina, Brian Idowu, Nigerian Pogba and Ihorfa must be capped before it is too late.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:22pm On Nov 15, 2016
Odubajo is out till around march or April next year... He's in the plans of the NFF.

The others will also get their chance.

And nobody has forgotten!!! Haba!!!

forgiveness:

I know but I don't want us to make the same mistake again hence the need to remind us.

Sheyi Ojo, Moses Odubanjo, Tyronne Ebuechi, Ola Aina, Brian Idowu, Nigerian Pogba and Ihorfa must be capped before it is too late.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:24pm On Nov 15, 2016
forgiveness:

if you ask me, we are not running a day care, when they become good enough they will get their callup, this is Africa, in Europe you can have World Cup qualifiers against Estonia and San Marino and you can use them to cap your young players, but here we don't have such minor teams. Remember than a friendly cap isn't sufficient
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:51pm On Nov 15, 2016
cool cool cool *daring but so true..... Looolll

BascoVanVeli:

The enemy i love so much. No need to talk baby boy ur FA has our FA's number lets set up a friendly anywhere in the world and find out. We can even make it a series best of 3, we probably won't see u in the world cup anyways so wats there to lose? lol.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:52pm On Nov 15, 2016
Mickael2:

if you ask me, we are not running a day care, when they become good enough they will get their callup, this is Africa, in Europe you can have World Cup qualifiers against Estonia and San Marino and you can use them to cap your young players, but here we don't have such minor teams. Remember than a friendly cap isn't sufficient

But, a player like Ejaria, who is already training under Jurgen Klopp deserves a call-up and capping.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:36pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

But, a player like Ejaria, who is already training under Jurgen Klopp deserves a call-up and capping.

the ones that are good enough should be invited ooh. Like Aina and Ejaria for example, but I don't know this Nigerian Pogba and Nigerian Benzema that he added
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Odubajo is out till around march or April next year... He's in the plans of the NFF.

The others will also get their chance.

And nobody has forgotten!!! Haba!!!

Ok na. Because before we know am dem don waka.

I saw Ihorfa yesterday, gee..... d boy is good. Although, he is not that good at dribbling but he plays like a champion.

That guy needs to be capped. Make em father change mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:51pm On Nov 15, 2016
forgiveness:
ESPN Settles Debate On Best Left Back On The Planet, Choose Alaba Ahead Of Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea Stars

Published: November 15, 2016

Two players of Nigerian descent David Alaba and Dele Alli have been included in ESPN’s #FC10, a list of the top performers in every position across the pitch and the dugout.

Bayern Munich star Alaba was ranked the best left back in the world, beating the likes of Jordi Alba (Barcelona) Marcelo (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Patrice Evra (Juventus) and Danny Rose (Tottenham) to the accolade.

“The 24-year-old Austrian is arguably the archetypal modern player, ” ESPN wrote.

“Technically smooth on the ball and equally comfortable almost anywhere on the pitch, this season alone the Bayern Munich star has played in four different positions for club and country: left-back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield and forward,” ESPN wrote.

Tottenham Hotspur star Dele Alli featured in the top ten attacking midfielders on the planet. The former MK Dons wonderkid was ninth on the list .

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21085

We lost these two best players in the world due to pride. Kwantinue.

LMAO.....Popularity contests, this is as credible as FIFA ranking.

How did we lose Dele due to pride? And do you sincerely think ESPN would have rated either of these players if they chose Nigeria over wherever they chose?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2016
Dominic Iorfa Jnr's father once said his son will likely play for or consider playing for Nigeria when he turns 22-23 as he wants his son to make the most of the English system.

Iorfa Jnr is both a rightback (predominantly) and centreback.

He will get his chance but how many rightbacks we go invite?? Idowu, Odubajo, Iorfa Jnr, Ebuehi.... etc... All of them??

What about left backs like Josh Debayo for instance?

forgiveness:

I saw Ihorfa yesterday, gee..... d boy is good. Although, he is not that at dribbling but he plays like a champion.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:01pm On Nov 15, 2016
Mickael2:

for the first time, I agree with you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:04pm On Nov 15, 2016
forgiveness:

I saw Ihorfa yesterday, gee..... d boy is good. Although, he is not that good at dribbling but he plays like a champion.

Iorfa is not interested in Nigeria at all. You will think, he should be the most interested since his father was an ex international.

He should keep waiting for the three lions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 5:05pm On Nov 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]The Mystery of the 2-Goal Lead [/size]
by David Adeoye

Next January 30 would make it 29 years that I have actively followed Nigeria's senior male football team, the Super Eagles.

In all these years, I've never seen Nigeria throw away a two-goal lead. Almost every time the Super Eagles manage to open a two-goal lead, the worst that happens is a win with a one-goal margin.

From Maroc '88 to Algiers 90, Senegal '92, Tunisia '94, USA '94, up till the last AFCON, once the Eagles are two goals up, the match is as good as won.

And when the Eagles play a 2-2 draw, it's almost certain the other team scored first and maybe even went two goals up.

Yes. The Eagles fight to come back and many times achieve it. Against Egypt at AFCON '84, against Coted'Ivoire at Tunisia '94, against Spain at France '98, and yes against Cameroun at Nigeria-Ghana '2000.

But you don't get a dramatic comeback against the Eagles - not even during the Yobo years when we literally played executive football for some years.

The problem in the past 15 years or so has always been for the Eagles to get that vital second goal that opens the wider lead. The last time we got a 2-goal lead at the World Cup was in 1994 and that year, we did it twice, Bulgaria and Greece. If we had gotten a second goal against Italy, we almost certainly would have won.

With the new coaching crew and a more potent 'Tokunbo' attack, we against all odds could well be on our way to Russia. Already, Zambia and Algeria have been added to the statistics of victims of our deadly two-goal lead virus, which in the past 29 years, no team in Africa or the World for that matter has survived.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:08pm On Nov 15, 2016
Mickael2:

Bhuuuhahaha! Yeeeeee! grin 'day care' indeed!

You mean Liverpool and Chelsea na day care, ba?

If na you, Iheanacho and Iwobi 4 no smell d national team. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:09pm On Nov 15, 2016
Loooolllll... The Nigerian Pogba is actually "Ovie Ejaria" himself... smiley

The "Nigerian Benzema" named Taofiq I Believe is one I reported in the youth/cadets talents thread by Joseph1013. Check it out here....

https://www.nairaland.com/3343363/nigerian-youth-cadet-talents-players/2

We cant call all at once. We gotta call according to the team's needs and also because some of these players need to be "secured" now.

Mickael2:

the ones that are good enough should be invited ooh. Like Aina and Ejaria for example, but I don't know this Nigerian Pogba and Nigerian Benzema that he added
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:20pm On Nov 15, 2016
Forgiveness.... This is for You.

Hope after reading this, you'll drop your mentality that we are "too proud" to cap or invite foreign-breds/foreign-borns with Nigerian blood.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/16/arsenal-stopped-liverpool-ejaria-from-winning-u-17-wyc-with-iheanacho-in-2013/

Ovie Ejaria is an example of one we couldnt cap alongside Nacho and Success at U-17 or U-20 levels because of the reasons you will find in the article(s).

Enjoy.... wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:39pm On Nov 15, 2016
You misunderstand him. He said it is Nigeria who isnt running a "daycare".

Cant you just calm down and stop making it look like we dont want these lads to play for us?

Na wa!

forgiveness:

Bhuuuhahaha! Yeeeeee! grin 'day care' indeed!

You mean Liverpool and Chelsea na day care, ba?

If na you, Iheanacho and Iwobi 4 no smell d national team. grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:44pm On Nov 15, 2016
Wow!!!! Absolutely Revelational...... This is beautiful!

Thanks so this eye-opener.... Abeg... Nigeria 2-0 Cameroun (uyo) grin #INevaPredict oooo.... Looolll

Cc Napoleon55 grin

joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]The Mystery of the 2-Goal Lead [/size]
by David Adeoye

Next January 30 would make it 29 years that I have actively followed Nigeria's senior male football team, the Super Eagles.

In all these years, I've never seen Nigeria throw away a two-goal lead. Almost every time the Super Eagles manage to open a two-goal lead, the worst that happens is a win with a one-goal margin.

From Maroc '88 to Algiers 90, Senegal '92, Tunisia '94, USA '94, up till the last AFCON, once the Eagles are two goals up, the match is as good as won.

And when the Eagles play a 2-2 draw, it's almost certain the other team scored first and maybe even went two goals up.

Yes. The Eagles fight to come back and many times achieve it. Against Egypt at AFCON '84, against Coted'Ivoire at Tunisia '94, against Spain at France '98, and yes against Cameroun at Nigeria-Ghana '2000.

But you don't get a dramatic comeback against the Eagles - not even during the Yobo years when we literally played executive football for some years.

The problem in the past 15 years or so has always been for the Eagles to get that vital second goal that opens the wider lead. The last time we got a 2-goal lead at the World Cup was in 1994 and that year, we did it twice, Bulgaria and Greece. If we had gotten a second goal against Italy, we almost certainly would have won.

With the new coaching crew and a more potent 'Tokunbo' attack, we against all odds could well be on our way to Russia. Already, Zambia and Algeria have been added to the statistics of victims of our deadly two-goal lead virus, which in the past 29 years, no team in Africa or the World for that matter has survived.[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Sheyi Ojo wey don pass training nko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2016
safarigirl:

LMAO.....Popularity contests, this is as credible as FIFA ranking.

How did we lose Dele due to pride? And do you sincerely think ESPN would have rated either of these players if they chose Nigeria over wherever they chose?

So, rating is based on Nationality, ba? George Weah and Eto nko?

Are dey.... from France? grin

Na play I dey ooooooo. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:56pm On Nov 15, 2016
forgiveness:

So, rating is based on Nationality, ba? George Weah and Eto nko?

Are dey.... from France? grin

Na play I dey ooooooo. grin
aww, 2 consolation posts to Africans who are retired. Let's all jump for joy

You haven't told how pride stopped Dele from playing for us. Last I checked, Dele never offered to play for us, so we should kill ourselves?

Let him enjoy his 3 lions that will never win a medal and a dead international career

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:11pm On Nov 15, 2016
safarigirl:
for the first time, I agree with you

lolz, we can build on thatsmiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:12pm On Nov 15, 2016
Spurs Loanee Bentaleb Reveals Secret Of Wonder Goal Against Nigeria, Faults Akpeyi Positioning

Nigeria, Faults Akpeyi Positioning

On loan Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Nabil Bentaleb who scored a screamer against Nigeria has revealed the secret behind his well hit drive, which ended up as a consolation for Algeria in their 1-3 loss to Nigeria.

Bentaleb took advantage of a space in front of the defence of Nigeria, to lash in an unstoppable drive from over 30 yards pass goalkepper Daniel Akpeyi in goal for Nigeria.

The goal stunned the entire stadium into silence as it brought scores to 1-2 and most feared it has given the Foxes a lifeline to crawl back into the game.

However it turns out not to be so, but the Schalke 04 man has revealed he took advantage of the poor positioning of Akpeyi as noticed by his coach before driving his effort home.

We were told about his poor positioning by our coaches during the half time break, and when the space opened up I tried my luck from range. I won’t say I expected it to go in but it was worth the try” he told the Algerian press.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/15/spurs-loanee-bentaleb-reveals-secret-of-wonder-goal-against-nigeria-faults-akpeyi-positioning/#

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:13pm On Nov 15, 2016
safarigirl:
aww, 2 consolation posts to Africans who are retired. Let's all jump for joy

You haven't told how pride stopped Dele from playing for us. Last I checked, Dele never offered to play for us, so we should kill ourselves?

Let him enjoy his 3 lions that will never win a medal and a dead international career

I agree with you.

Infact, he outrightly rejected Nigeria after his man of the match performance for MK Dons against Manu, I remember it vividly well. Dele Alli was not our fault at all

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:15pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Cant you just calm down and stop making it look like we dont want these lads to play for us?

Na wa!

that's eh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:17pm On Nov 15, 2016
Mickael2:

I agree with you.

Infact, he outrightly rejected Nigeria after his man of the match performance for MK Dons against Manu, I remember it vividly well. Dele Alli was not our fault at all
i dunno why forgiveness would bring up such a despicable name on this thread.

Names like Dele Alli and Nedum Onuoha should be exiled from this thread. We're doing awesome without them

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2016
Delle Ali no even wan associate with anything Nigeria. Na insult for that albino to reject a powerhouse in football like Nigeria. I hope Onazi breaks his if we ever get to meet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:09pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Wow!!!! Absolutely Revelational...... This is beautiful!

Thanks so this eye-opener.... Abeg... Nigeria 2-0 Cameroun (uyo) grin #INevaPredict oooo.... Looolll

Cc Napoleon55 grin

it's rather too early 4 me to predict now cos I have to put a lot of things into considerations.
But I respect u for this 2-0 prediction because I'm also seeing 2-0,n I see 2-1 also,I'm not sure right now ,it will b clearer when the time comes but u r on point, it has to be 2 goals up

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:18pm On Nov 15, 2016
tbaba1234:

Iorfa is not interested in Nigeria at all. You will think, he should be the most interested since his father was an ex international.

He should keep waiting for the three lions.

I see but I think he is good enough for the three lions.

Nevertheless, he should have a rethink otherwise segobe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Forgiveness.... This is for You.

Hope after reading this, you'll drop your mentality that we are "too proud" to cap or invite foreign-breds/foreign-borns with Nigerian blood.

Ovie Ejaria is an example of one we couldnt cap alongside Nacho and Success at U-17 or U-20 levels because of the reasons you will find in the article(s).

Enjoy.... wink

Iwobi na em reconfigure NFF brain as for me. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Na wa!

I know na hence my reply with Liverpool and Chelsea because I know some of those players are in their first team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2016
France is playing Ivory Coast this night. Nigeria needs to start playing these high-profile teams now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (16153) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tolulopefinest(m), elyte89, TheGoodJoe(m), do4luv14(m), Toylove and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.