Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,396 members, 7,861,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:34 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11929664 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3110) (3111) (3112) (3113) (3114) (3115) (3116) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:13pm On Mar 23, 2018
The lineup shows that Nacho will play thru the middle behind Ighalo as the AM. Not from the flanks.

Danielnino00:
The owner of of the nearest viewing centre in my area must b high on some ganja... imagine him putting Brazil and England match and left out ours... Maybe he isnt aware Supersport will show it yet...

About the lineup sha, its good... Nacho on the flanks again mayn't b a bad idea though he failed in the role against Algeria which many people including me blamed on the bad pitch.. hopefully he will do better there.. Its Iwobi I'm looking out for...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:14pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
Mikel is the captain and Onazi is the vice captain, nothing like Musa-3 or Echiejele-4,so Ekong and any of the players can get the captain band in the absence of Mikel and Onazi.

Oh I see... I thought I saw a report here sometimes ago about the new captain rank..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
Nigeria 4-1 Argentina Under Siasia screams a Big Helloooooo!!!!!!!! cheesy

Kog45:
Sir i can't really remember when Mikel and Joel played together in Eagles and what do you mean by OUTSHINE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:16pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
The lineup shows that Nacho will play thru the middle behind Ighalo as the AM. Not from the flanks.

Nawao... somebody dropped a pic of the lineup showing Iwobi at AMF and Nacho on the flanks...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:17pm On Mar 23, 2018
( From completesports Nigeria)

My Wroclaw Preview!

The hypes for tonight’s table top fixture with Poland has reached a feverish crescendo, paving way for our gladiators to show us their level of readiness to fight for a spot on the plane to Russia.

Attention should be on Gernot Rohr.
We have held him very highly as our Master Chess tactician and now is the time to prove us right, and assure Nigerians that beating Argentina was no fluke.

He should be able to pull out the chestnuts from the fire with his formation, tactics and the available players tonight.
His starting line up is perfect & tactical.
Winning tonight, realistically, should not be the primary target of this clash, rather a win for SE should be a bonus.

Essentially, Nigerians should be looking out for the state of readiness of the team. The quality of individual contribution & team cohesion, the telepathy, synergy & bonding, ability to understand & execute the gaffers tactics.

We want to see tactical players-movement on and off the ball. This will go down to elimination by substitution.
One aspect, though shall not go unnoticed, where a player clearly falls below the expected standard of the game.

This is a test match for those fighting to earn a WC shirt. Heads will start rolling after this & the next encounter.

Expectedly, i foresee a horde of spies squatting in the cold windy-night in Wroclaw, jotting down notes as they can possibly make on the Super Eagles players & team tactics.

The chickens are home to roost, but Rohr, it seems is still holding to himself some valued cards close to his chest.
Certainly the SE squad as constituted now is a work-in-progress, we might have 1 or 2 additions before the WC event.

But wit the options available to GR, I want to see how the SE defense will hold out tonight against an attack minded polish team wit the highest number of goals in the European qualifying series.
Towering home boy, 6′ 5″ Stephen Eze might have his chance tonight. Will he take it, or blow it?

Our backline seems strong enough on paper to put up a great show in the air against Polish lethal finisher, Robert Lewandowski.

The Bayern Munich prized asset, 100 goals in 121 matches for Bayern since 2014, is expected to lead the attacking line against the SE. Uzohor will be well tested tonight against one of the world’s renowned hitmen.

The Guinness World Records four-time record man is an enigma of some sort; a proven & consistent goals machine. Six times Poland’s footballer of the Year.
Polish Captain, top 9 for club and country, Lewandowski is a conjurer of goals.
He is as dangerous in the air as he is with both feet on the ground, and particularly with his back against the goal. Strong, fast, visionary & a constant threat in the box. He is top quality.

He drilled 5 goals in 9mins, coming on as a super-sub in a 5-1 win over Wolfsburg. He holds the fastest hatrick in the bundesliga history; 3 goals in four minutes. His 10 goals in three games in one week in European CL is still getting rave reviews. Give him a chance, and he takes 3.
This is the guy SE defense will be hoping to put in the freezer tonight.

Our keeper’s hands will be full, I tell u.
Will Uzohor convince his fans that he is the MAN, or will he fail the test?
It’s held in narrow circles that a Keeper is as good as his defensive cover. Not true!
If true then, it makes mockery of the concept of keepers’ shutouts & one-on-one assessments.

At 6′ 5″, 19 years old Francis Uzohor has a towering & intimidating goal presence.
Nigerians want to see his best showing tonight.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa, 6’1″ is the other available keeper alternative.
Make no mistakes, the SE rear shall be stretched to breaking limits tonight by the Poles’ attacking wizardry on current form.
It will be a test of nerves, experience, presence of mind & grit.

This is good for Nigeria; it will expose some of our lapses in attack and defence lines. Rohr will be jotting down notes too.
The poles are playing at home & will play to win this one.

The SE German machine, Leon Balogun, 6’3″ has been dogged wit fitness concerns lately and a constant cause of worry for everyone, but Troost-Ekong, 6’3″ and reliable Nantes man, Chidoze Awaziem, 6’3″ should provide a good option for the backline when called upon in tonight’s duel.
Zenit St. Petersbourg’s prospect, Kenneth Omeruo, 6’1″ is yet to give a good account of himself and this might just be his last.
Nigerians love the fact that GR has looked the way of young, strong & fast defenders for listing.

Hull City Aina, 5’9″, Shehu, 5’7″ & Bryan Idowu, 5’11” may not have the advantage of being six footer as Tyrone Ebuehi, 6’1″ but are equally effective going forward and would need to convince the gaffer they deserve to be on the boat too.

Tough guy, Uche Henry Agbo, 6’2″ Super Eagles defensive midfielder cum central defender is the team’s hatchet man. The Standard Liege top dog is a reliable cover, versatile and hard as nail, might claim his chance tonight with a strong showing and book his flight to Russia.

This is the acid test MATCH for Nigeria!
Under performing Odion Ighalo is an on and off goal shy player. He is the SE first choice top 9.
He is well known.
I dont see him making the flight to Russia, even if he scored a thousand goals in this duel.
He doesn’t look like the guy with the right credentials.
Inconsistency is his bane.

Nigerians should be prepared for a nervy game in the absence of SE mercurial & inspirational Captain, Mikel Obi.

I predict a very difficult match for the Super Eagles. Anything can happen, though.
However, a narrow win for GR’s men should be a celebrated result they must dig deep to earn, and a wallop is not a probable consideration under Wroclaw’s freezing weather condition.

Many think the SE might not nick this one, but a tough call for them, only if there is a magic man upfront which, unfortunately SE front men, particularly our top 9 doesn’t represent.

This is a good test anyway.
1-0 Either way (My position).
Good luck, SE.
Godbless Nigeria.

-Kingmaker, Completesports fan

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2018
If Idowu puts up another superb display tonight,then his WC ticket is as good as sealed.. that leaves Aina to prove to Rohr that he can offer better than Echijele, otherwise, I'm afraid Ebuehi may b the one to b dropped should Echijele eventually make the final list..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:20pm On Mar 23, 2018
You are right Marvelous Basco... Ekong has always been a leader in how own rights too. And Yes, Rohr building more leaders on the team is part of this move. Really hope to see Ekong channel the "anointing" that comes with the skipper's band "right"... wink

BascoVanVeli:

We should also remember that he broke into the team as a captain in Norway. He has always showed those qualities that a leader should have.

I believe Rohr is trying to build more leaders in the team by doing this.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:21pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Wrong report. It says Onazi. But we have since confirmed that it is Joel naa... this metallic man sef... Dey check the content naa undecided

Haba! Mr Nerd take it easy na... Is it my fault if its genuine or false??
I just decided to post as I stumbled on the report on their website.

So why talking as if I just committed an offence??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:22pm On Mar 23, 2018
Joebie:
If the second snapshot is Onyekuru at Anderlecht, he did not fail woefully as a striker. Onyekuru prefers the CF role, but yes it is true he hasnt been given a lot of opportunities there. 2 assists and 1 goal from 3 matches is pretty decent for a CF.

Modified
And please that Anderlecht coach is not credible IMO when it comes to having an opinion about onyekuru. Dare to ask me why?

That was last season.

I have seen him played there and fumbled. Nothing special.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:23pm On Mar 23, 2018
That was an imagined line-up... But reports from this confirmed lineup so far shows that it would be Nacho in the no.10 role... just as it was in training.

Danielnino00:

Nawao... somebody dropped a pic of the lineup showing Iwobi at AMF and Nacho on the flanks...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2018
Danielnino00:
If Idowu puts up another superb display tonight,then his WC ticket is as good as sealed.. that leaves Aina to prove to Rohr that he can offer better than Echijele, otherwise, I'm afraid Ebuehi may b the one to b dropped should Echijele eventually make the final list..
ebuehi is only competing with shehu so no issues

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
You are right Marvelous Basco... Ekong has always been a leader in how own rights too. And Yes, Rohr building more leaders on the team is part of this move. Really hope to see Ekong channel the "anointing" that comes with the skipper's band "right"... wink

I hope he can break the jinx because no one not named Mikel Obi has captained Nigeria to victory under Gernot Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:27pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
Yes you are right very comfortable with both feet and he remind me of Victor Ikpeba who was damn comfortable with both feet.
So Moses is both-footed... Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:28pm On Mar 23, 2018
Na offence naa... angry You dey hia when una dey deliberate on Joel ahead of Onazi from confirmed reports naa.... I assumed you don see am so why post a report from 11:16am on CS site showing Onazi..... angry but you have done well by posting Kingmaker's looonnnng pre-match analysis. wink I saw it earlier too.

MetalJigsaw:
Haba! Mr Nerd take it easy na... Is it my fault if its genuine or false??
I just decided to post.

So why talking as if I jus committed an offence??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2018
asha80:
ebuehi is only competing with shehu so no issues

Yea... but what it if Rohr has plans to try Aina at RB too?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2018
Now that is another angle to look at. Onazi, Balogun have all held the bands under Rohr but the best was a draw.

Will tonight be different? We shall see *winks*

BascoVanVeli:

I hope he can break the jinx because no one not named Mikel Obi has captained Nigeria to victory under Gernot Rohr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
That was an imagined line-up... But reports from this confirmed lineup so far shows that it would be Nacho in the no.10 role... just as it was in training.

The lineup is quite juicy...

But with Joel starting,Ndidi will have to drop deep right??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:39pm On Mar 23, 2018
Ebuehi won't be dropped. Mark my words. A fit Ebuehi is going to Russia. He's got the Talents and requirements for the RB and RWB roles and he is benfica-bound. He also got the height which gives us added considerable advantages defending aerials. He is the tallest of our fullback options.

For me, This is between Echiejile and Aina most likely. And my own personal choice between those two is so obvious.

Danielnino00:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 4:41pm On Mar 23, 2018
I dont know why i am so excited about this match grin grin

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:42pm On Mar 23, 2018
Danielnino00:

Yea... but what it if Rohr has plans to try Aina at RB too?
Let's wait and see and if Echiejele failed to displace Idowu then we don't need him as bench warmer at WC when we have young Ebuhei and Aina on ground.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Na offence naa... angry You dey hia when una dey deliberate on Joel ahead of Onazi from confirmed reports naa.... I assumed you don see am so why post a report from 11:16am on CS site showing Onazi..... angry but you have done well by posting Kingmaker's looonnnng pre-match analysis. wink I saw it earlier too.

Well, didn't notice you've got a "confirmed report"...
I believe these are all speculations until 8:45 unless its from the NFF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:46pm On Mar 23, 2018
Thank you!

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:49pm On Mar 23, 2018
It is a 4-2-3-1... meaning Both Ndidi and Joel will operate from deep in a double pivot with Joel most likely to take the burden of passing/dictating the tempo role, while Ndidi plays the ball winner/destroyer... Joel will be Ndidi's foil... like an Iborra is for Ndidi at Leicester.

Note that Joel for Torino also defends well in his CDM role, so I believe his marking abilities will be added to his passing responsibilities linking midfield to attack where Nacho will be in a dynamic kind of AM role behind Ighalo. Anyone expecting Nacho to play the No.10 role exactly like Mikel better know now that it won't happen. Nacho will bring his own instinctual and direct plays to the fore where his interchanges with Iwobi and Moses will also be key.

Danielnino00:

The lineup is quite juicy...

But with Joel starting,Ndidi will have to drop deep right??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:50pm On Mar 23, 2018
I totally agree. I may probably need to watch him one more time before I can cap this statement, but right now, the Ebuehi I saw in the second half of the friendly against Argentina is definitely the best FB/WB in the team.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Ebuehi won't be dropped. Mark my words. A fit Ebuehi is going to Russia. He's got the Talents and requirements for the RB and RWB roles and he is benfica-bound. He also got the height which gives us added considerable advantages defending aerials. He is the tallest of our fullback options.

For me, This is between Echiejile and Aina most likely. And my own personal choice between those two is so obvious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:52pm On Mar 23, 2018
@bolded... keep your eyes open. wink

For the records, ACLsports led by Calvin Emeka is on ground there in Poland. I trust they aren't kidding. But yeah, let @thenff and @NgSuperEagles handles post the "official" lineup to clear your own doubts.

MetalJigsaw:
Well, didn't notice you've got a "confirmed report"...
I believe these are all speculations until 8:45 unless its from the NFF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2018
Rabzy, I see you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:54pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Thank you nearly forgotten
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:55pm On Mar 23, 2018
Danielnino00:

Ebuehi to be dropped instead of Aina who hasn't played on the right back position even for once, for the Eagles? This is funny grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:58pm On Mar 23, 2018
@ MetalJigsaw, Victor Moses is a player that efficiently use both feet.
But his strength lies in is right foot.
With that foot, you're assure of more shot accuracy and power.

I have always said this. Victor is best utilized when he plays on the left flank. It gives him room to cut in and been that he is more of an inverted strikerand his right foot is full of power...

I hope this answers your curiosity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2018
CaptainStephen:
I dont know why i am so excited about this match grin grin
Meaning if the result all goes the way of the Polish you're likely to end up in a state of bleakness and despondency.

I can relate, bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 5:05pm On Mar 23, 2018
*Nigeria v Poland Super Eagles Starting 11 Goalkeeper Francis Uzoho Defenders Brian Idowu Shehu Abdullahi William Troost-Ekong (Captain) Leon Balogun Midfielders Wilfred Ndidi Joel Obi Attackers Victor Moses Kelechi Iheanacho Odion Ighalo Alex Iwobi 8.45pm tonight #POLNGA

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ClumsyFlimsy: 5:10pm On Mar 23, 2018
All this ebuehi or aina to be dropped na bullshit
Both of them deserve world Cup and it will really bruise their ego if they don't make it but echiejile has nothing to lose plus has playing horribly and hardly sees game time in his club despite playing second division

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3110) (3111) (3112) (3113) (3114) (3115) (3116) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.