Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,396 members, 7,861,109 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3114) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11929703 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3111) (3112) (3113) (3114) (3115) (3116) (3117) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 5:10pm On Mar 23, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Ebuehi won't be dropped. Mark my words. A fit Ebuehi is going to Russia. He's got the Talents and requirements for the RB and RWB roles and he is benfica-bound. He also got the height which gives us added considerable advantages defending aerials. He is the tallest of our fullback options.

For me, This is between Echiejile and Aina most likely. And my own personal choice between those two is so obvious.

. I wonder who in his right senses would pick Echiejile over Ebuehi. It just doesn't make any sense. Some peoples' predictions here just dey fear person

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:11pm On Mar 23, 2018
Is anyone watching Russia vs Brazil?

Happening now ....

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:12pm On Mar 23, 2018
ChrisKels:

Ebuehi to be dropped instead of Aina who hasn't played on the right back position even for once, for the Eagles? This is funny grin
Honestly am seeing Echiejele out if he eventually lost that shirt to Idowu

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2018
ScoreNigeria is reporting a late call-up for Mikel Agu for the Serbia game. Hmmmmm....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phillippiano(m): 5:14pm On Mar 23, 2018
Please, what time is the match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:14pm On Mar 23, 2018
The Lineup, if true, is fantastic. It's really a good Call by Rohr and his Crew. We do not need to play as Underdog, rather let's show the World what this Team is capable of.

Eagles were known for entertaining, dazzling Football internationally, and I am so much believing this Team gonna be exciting to watch on the Pitch.

Rohr's Contract should be extended till 2023, coz it's damn apparent he's building a formidable Team for the Country in the Future. I'm kinda believing Rohr is simply building a very solid and superb Team for the Future - catch them young Tactic.

Whatever happens tonight matters not, also whatever happens at the Mundial shouldn't be taken to the Heart. We should all believe in the Rohr's Project for the Eagles, coz with him in charge till 2023...... we may possibly win it in Qatar!

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 5:14pm On Mar 23, 2018
joseph1013:
Rabzy, I see you.

Always present chief...thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
joseph1013:
Rabzy, I see you.

Enjoying the brilliant analysis and banter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
Icon79:

Happening now ....

O pari

Quite a serious lineup

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 5:18pm On Mar 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Meaning if the result all goes the way of the Polish you're likely to end up in a state of bleakness and despondency.

I can relate, bro
bleakness bawo, life goes on should such happen. maybe its the explaining i will have to do for cancelling meeting with bae tommorrow cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
I think we need to go back to memory lane to talk about FB who willingly made themselves available,those that rejected us and those we rejected.

In 1980 we have a FB named Tunji Banjo who came all the way from England and made 1980 Afcon winning team.He was the first FB to play for Nigeria and had a memorable tournament with the likes of Christian Chuckwu,Segun Odegbami and Adokiye Aimesemeika.

John Chiedozie made himself available and had few caps for Nigeria in 80s

I remember we later had Reuben Agboola who made Senegal 92 team and had a good tourney.

John Shittu had a wonderful experience with Nigeria with Afcon and WC experience.

Abbey George also had afcon appearance for Nigeria

Efe Sodje had World Cup appearance with Nigeria

Sammy Sodje too had few caps.

Hope Akpan had few caps.

Sone Aluko too had few caps even represented Nigeria at U20 WC.

Good recently we have the likes of Vic Moses, Leon Balogun,Alex Iwobi,Ola Aina,Ebuhei, Brian Idowu and Ekong Troost doing well with eagles presently.

Justin Fashanu was a very solid striker who never identify with Nigeria like John Fashanu.He was the first black player to signed a £1m contract in the world though never get a call cos he was not even willing.I remember he came down to Nigeria with John for the first time in 80s through MKO Abiola and Sebastian Williams Father to Kojo Williams.

Remi Moses was an ex Manchester United great midfielder who played between 1981 - 1989 as a regular but still surprised nobody knew he was a Nigerian and no approached from NFF.

John Fashanu rejected us and had two caps for England in friendlies.He tried to get his way back after our qualification for US 94 through Chief Akinwunmi the father of present NFF vice President but outcry from fans and press stopped him.

Gabriel Agbonlahor rejected us but later came out and said he was never approached to play for Nigeria and he had two appearances for England.

Nnedum Onuoah was a solid player that was given a wild card to represent Nigeria at 2014 WC but turned Nigeria down,waiting endlessly for England invitation.Later regretted his action and his mother didn't help his situation cos she insisted that her son want England.

Ugho Ehiogu was never approached so i cannot really blamed him but he should have been a great Eagles defender if we approached him.

Carlton Cole was willing but the rules at that time ruled him out.The rule stated that a player that played official youth match is not allowed to play for another national team and Cole was ex England youth player.He came down to Nigeria with Okocha and Kanu believing they can turned things around but the FIFA laws was cleared.

Cole went back to England dejected and following week he got England call and made his debut in official match but funny enough the following week after his debut FIFA changed the law that youth players can changed nationalities,no way for him again though he had few caps for England.

David Alaba was ever ready but his agent didn't help his situation.He went through third party who know nothing about NFF and was told U 17 is for homegrown.A very strong member of Austria team,honestly a great loss.

Dele Ali to me never a Nigerian though his real root is Nigeria cos he never see himself as one,nothing to say on a player who don't really reckon with his parents.

Manuel Akanji truly identified with Nigeria through his Father Murphy Akanji,a good CB who but funny enough he was never approached by NFF before he made his official debut for Switzerland,another loss.

Kenneth Otigba waited patiently but never get a call until recently when he was named in Hungary team,painful,Otigba refused to honour Hungary euro invitation cos of Eagles.

Oh Emma Olisadebe really wanted Nigeria but NFF didn't see him as someone that can compete with the likes of Kanu,Aghaowa,Yakubu and Agali until he naturalised and turned out for Poland.

Truly those who rejected Nigeria never had a good national team career.

Modified... Efan Ekoku was another FB who willingly turned out for Nigeria and he was member of prestigious 94 afcon winning team and also US 94 squad.

Dickson Etuhu had great time with eagles especially at Afcon and WC,he turned out for Nigeria with no hassle.

George Abbey mother is Welsh I wouldn't described him as Foreign born. Him and Yobo played at sharks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 5:20pm On Mar 23, 2018
Oasis007:
The Lineup, if true, is fantastic. It's really a good Call by Rohr and his Crew. We do not need to play as Underdog, rather let's show the World what this Team is capable of.

Eagles were known for entertaining, dazzling Football internationally, and I am so much believing this Team gonna be exciting to watch on the Pitch.

Rohr's Contract should be extended till 2023, coz it's damn apparent he's building a formidable Team for the Country in the Future. I'm kinda believing Rohr is simply building a very solid and superb Team for the Future - catch them young Tactic.

Whatever happens tonight matters not, also whatever happens at the Mundial shouldn't be taken to the Heart. We should all believe in the Rohr's Project for the Eagles, coz with him in charge till 2023...... we may possibly win it in Qatar!

quick question. if we have an abysmal world cup and exit at the group stage and then fail to qualify for the nations cup would you still subscribe to this vision 2023?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 5:21pm On Mar 23, 2018
We are definitely winning this world cup. Qualification for 2022 is not guaranteed. Good teams miss world cup. This one is ours to take.

Oasis007:

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
Sir i can't really remember when Mikel and Joel played together in Eagles and what do you mean by OUTSHINE.
Friendly vs Sierra Leone. Siasia first game as coach. We won 2-1 and he was man of the match I think
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2018
pls which network is advisable for live streaming tonight's match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:24pm On Mar 23, 2018
Oasis007:

Chairman i get your point but you know naija wella,anything short of good performance at WC forget it o.

Na only here we dey reason o,go to other thread on Eagles,Chei shame go catch you,see analysis upon analysis.

I think better for Rohr to have good performance at WC then contract extension to 2023 would not be an issue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:26pm On Mar 23, 2018
Nwakali was performing in a "backwater" league at least.

With Sone, the key words, "when he was"

forgiveness:

If we truly reward performance? Why was Sone Aluko not invited to the team even when he was nominated for Football league best player of the season?

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobi-lookman-aluko-nominated-london-football-awards/amp/
was Nwakali's performance wow before he was invited?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:26pm On Mar 23, 2018
edi287:

Friendly vs Sierra Leone. Siasia first game as coach. We won 2-1 and he was man of the match I think
Mikel didn't played that match,he was on the bench and i remember Joel did one great flick that drew applause from spectators.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Psittacus(m): 5:27pm On Mar 23, 2018
Is Ed dove following our team at all, wrong info conjoined here

Ed Dove, KweséESPN 4h
Five unanswered questions for Nigeria vs. Poland
Nigeria's World Cup preparations have largely been serene, and the Super Eagles ostensibly head to Russia in fine fettle after cruising though Africa's Group of Death in qualification and dispatching Argentina in an international friendly.
However, beneath the surface, there are still several unresolved issues for coach Gernot Rohr address during Friday's friendly against Poland in Wroclaw.
1. Who starts between the sticks?
The identity of Nigeria's first-choice goalkeeper at the World Cup remains a mystery, with a handful of keepers in the running following Vincent Enyeama's international retirement and Carl Ikeme's leukaemia diagnosis.
Ikechukwu Ezenwa may be the favourite, but after a few nervy displays in qualification - and for Enyimba in the CAF Confederation Cup - alternatives have been sought.
Deportivo La Coruna wonderkid Francis Uzoho is an intriguing prospect for the future, and made his Nigeria debut in the victory over Argentina.
However, is Rohr genuinely considering a 19-year-old with only two La Liga appearances under his belt as a potential first-choice at the World Cup?
If he starts against Poland on Friday, we may have our answer.
2. Do the other CHAN stars have a role to play?
Beyond Ezenwa, who skippered the home-based Super Eagles to the final of the African Nations Championship in Morocco last month, two other members of Salisu Yusuf's squad were included by Rohr.
Centre-back Stephen Eze secured a move to Lokomotiv Plovdiv during the tournament, but appears likely to play a back-up role at best, but could striker Gabriel Okechukwu emerge as a late contender for a World Cup berth?
The powerful forward was the hero as Akwa United won the Aiteo Cup last year, and also made two decisive contributions during the CHAN.
With Junior Ajayi injured and Anthony Nwakaeme struggling for form, the door has opened for the powerful hitman to make an impression. An eye-catching contribution against Poland would certainly go down well!
3. Where else will the goals come from?
While Okechukwu likely to play a cameo role at best, Rohr still needs to configure his attacking options in order to forge the most potent offensive unit possible.
There are concerns here, with Kelechi Iheanacho struggling for form all season - he's yet to net in the Premier League for Leicester City - and Odion Ighalo only just getting his new season underway in China.
Goals can come from elsewhere in the team, from Alex Iwobi or Victor Moses, for example, but with so many forwards injured or out of sorts, an impotent attacking display against Poland might raise alarm bells.
4. Will Rohr shuffle his options at full-back?
Happily, an area of strength has become an area of weakness for Nigeria, with Rohr now able to call upon several talented full-back options.
Elderson Echiejile and Abdullahi Shehu were his first-choice pairing during the qualifiers, but the emergence of Ola Aina - a versatile and attacking option - gives the German tactician a nice conundrum to resolve.
Will he stick with Elderson and Shehu for the Poland game, or will he see whether the inexperienced Aina - arguably an upgrade on either - is up to the task?
Brian Idowu and Tyronne Ebuehi wait in the wings as tantalising options.
5. Who will replace John Obi Mikel in midfield?
Nigeria will be without arguably their most important player for the Poland game, with Mikel absent due to work permit problems.
He'll be missed, with few other African midfielders able to dictate the tempo, create goalscoring opportunities from deep or exert their authority on a contest quite like Mikel.
With him absent, and his likely replacement Oghenekaro Etebo also missing, John Ogu is the favourite to step into the midfield alongside8 Ogenyi Onazi and Wilfred Ndidi.
Defensively sound, Ogu doesn't have Mikel's same composure in possession, and a more popular choice with the purists might be the returning Joel Obi.
The Torino man's career has been blighted by injury, but now fit again - and impressing in Serie A - things may be aligned for him to make up for lost time as Nigeria's creator-in-chief.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:28pm On Mar 23, 2018
Mickael2:

quick question. if we have an abysmal world cup and exit at the group stage and then fail to qualify for the nations cup would you still subscribe to this vision 2023?

Yes..... I will. We are parading the youngest Team at the moment, and once they fully gel together - they would be unstoppable.

I'm convinced with the Unity and Spirit in the Team. They are more like Brothers, they genuinely love each other, and Rohr is more than a Coach to them, he's also a Mentor to some.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:28pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
Honestly am seeing Echiejele out if he eventually lost that shirt to Idowu

Double kpom my brother. But it annoys me when I see u spell Ebuehi as Ebuhei. It nauseates me bro. Stop it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2018
komekn:

George Abbey mother is Welsh I wouldn't described him as Foreign born. Him and Yobo played at sharks
Yes born by welsh mum but played with Yobo for Michelen fc of Port Harcourt not Sharks.

It was Albert Yobo who happened to be Yobo elder bro that played for Sharks not Joseph Yobo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:36pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
Chairman i get your point but you know naija wella,anything short of good performance at WC forget it o.

Na only here we dey reason o,go to other thread on Eagles,Chei shame go catch you,see analysis upon analysis.

I think better for Rohr to have good performance at WC then contract extension to 2023 would not be an issue.

Boss..... it's all down to the NFF. I believe they ain't blind, and certainly aware of Rohr's Project. We should be realistic Sir, cos we can't win the World cup this Year.

Rohr is certainly building a Team for Qatar 2022, and I'm certain that the NFF is aware and supportive of the Project.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 23, 2018
Icon79:

Happening now ....

O pari
a boring match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:38pm On Mar 23, 2018
mank1234:
We are definitely winning this world cup. Qualification for 2022 is not guaranteed. Good teams miss world cup. This one is ours to take.

grin

It's good to be an Optimist, but I'm a Realist.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:39pm On Mar 23, 2018
ChrisKels:

Double kpom my brother. But it annoys me when I see u spell Ebuehi as Ebuhei. It nauseates me bro. Stop it
Sorry o my oga,noted with caution and it won't be repeated again! Gaskiya.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2018
Oasis007:

Boss..... it's all down to the NFF. I believe they ain't blind, and certainly aware of Rohr's Project. We should be realistic Sir, cos we can't win the World cup this Year.

Rohr is certainly building a Team for Qatar 2022, and I'm certain that the NFF is aware and supportive of the Project.
My man am not talking about winning WC but solid performance from Rohr should do the talking of contract extension till 2023.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2018
Kog45:
My man am not talking about winning WC but solid performance from Rohr should do the talking of contract extension till 2023.

grin

Yes Boss..... solid Performance is needed but we shouldn't be more focused on the Scoreline but on the Team's Performance.

I know how average Nigerian thinks, but it does not matter if the Project is on Course - on the right Path.

We shouldn't put much pressure on him or his Team to win the Cup or surpass his Predecessors, rather cue into the Project and hope it succeeds.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2018
#soareagles

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2018
edi287:
#soareagles
This is a bold line up, and a good one too.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Embell: 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Hello guys, there's something I want to ascertain about V. Moses. Which foot is his stronger one is it right, left or both feet since the guy seems to fit in playing comfortably on both flanks for SE.

Thanks.
There are players who (can) MOVE the ball very well with both feet. Not talking about (only) using both feet to shoot, but playing the ball with them; Moses is one of those players. Player like the diminutive Di Nathaniel also happen to be one.
Moses can use both feet pretty well, but if I'm compel to choose which one is his favoured feet I would say his right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Rockyrascal(m): 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
REVEALED: How Super Eagles Will Line Up Vs Poland Tonight
22 March 23, 2018

Deportivo La Coruna goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Amkar Perm defender Bryan Idowu will make their first starts for the Super Eagles later tonight against Poland in a friendly billed for the Municipal Stadium in Wroclaw, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.
The match kicks off at 8.45pm Nigerian time.

Uzoho who has kept 12 clean sheets this season in the third-tier of the Spanish League for Deportivo La Coruna’s second team Deportivo Fabril, has got the nod ahead of Enyimba of Aba goalkeeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who arrived in camp late for the game.

The friendly will be the 19-year-old’s second appearance for the three-time African champions after he came on during the 4-2 win over Argentina in November.

Idowu, is preferred to Elderson Echiejile and Ola Aina for the left-back spot.

The 25-year-old Idowu made a scoring debut for Nigeria in their 4-2 win over Argentina in November.

Bursaspor right-back Shehu Abdulahi keeps his place in the starting line-up like Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong in the team’s central defence.

In midfield, stand-in captain Ogenyi Onazi and Wilfred Ndidi will provide cover for the defence line.

Kelechi Iheanacho will start in the No.10 role while Odion Ighalo will lead the lines to be flanked by Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi.

How Eagles will play vs Poland:

Uzoho

Abdulahi, Ekong, Balogun, Idowu

Ndidi, Onazi

Iheanacho, Moses, Iwobi

Ighalo.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/revealed-how-super-eagles-will-line-up-vs-poland-tonight/
that guy is 19? shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (3111) (3112) (3113) (3114) (3115) (3116) (3117) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.