Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11663932 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:40pm On Nov 17, 2016
LAWAL: Gernot Rohr has just been lucky.

EMMA Ado: Gernot Rohr is benefiting from the hard work of Keshi.

Different strokes for different folks.
Some folks cannot just give credits to whom is due
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:41pm On Nov 17, 2016
Garba Lawal and Emma Ado should both STFU!

There's nothing like "luck" in football. It's all about hard work, good planning and training.

Yes, some Nigerian especially Samson Siasia whom I hold in very high esteem; however, their downfall is "favoritism" - for lack of a better word. The problem with the Super Eagles during the reigns of Keshi, Siasia, and Oliseh was that our best players were not playing for us. Each time you see their team lists, you'll always find some head scratching names on the list. Today, players are invited strictly on merit and things are done quite professionally.

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:43pm On Nov 17, 2016
joseph1013:

Oga, you no even chill at all. You pick them one by one serve them beating grin

Do u know the kain heart break wey those guys caused Nigerians?

Na only Keshi even try small from amogst them. They so much reduced the prestige in our national team that any body from any where in one yeye league will be wearing our jerssey.

Good riddance to nonsence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:43pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

Emma Ado should go sit down somewhere.

Rohr has done what our prevoius coaches have refused to do. I.e selecting the best available for each game.

Keshi was busy fighting with Moses and resurrecting Sola Ameobi's career. He also killed Sunday Mba's career.

Siasia own na wahala with Osaze. The other time too he dropped Enyeama and played Ayenugba only for Guinea to ensure his sack.

Oliseh too no wan see Enyeama.Oliseh prefared to play Paul Onobi ahead of Mikel .He also snubbed Aluko jst bc he was in 2nd division and forced Sylvester Igboun down our throat

Just look at the way Rohr handled that V. Moses' injury case. If na Oliseh or Keshi dey for don suspend the guy in a bid to "instill discipline in the team".

Imaging Oliseh appointing Musa as captain while Enyeama and Mikel were in the team just in a bid to spite the "big boys".

Siasia own na to dey field "his boys" upandan for team.

There is nothing so special about being a national team coach
Only an insane man will compare the works of Gernot Rohr with some indigenous coaches we have have recycled for a while.
I couldn't believe my ears when people who where being brain washed the by the Nigerian media and some 4th columnist to appoint Salisu Yusuf.
Talking about appointing a man whose only achievement was winning the NPFL fraudulently via board room pointswith kano pillars.
The other 2 jobs he had was Enyimba where he was sacked after a poor run of form and Niger Tornadoes.

The Nigeria media owe ordinary Nigerians who they misguided apologies for winding up support for Salisu Yusuf.
If Salisu Yusuf was the coach, we would have been talking of 2 draws not 2 wins.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:47pm On Nov 17, 2016
goldfish80:

Only an insane man will compare the works of Gernot Rohr with some indigenous coaches we have have recycled for a while.
I couldn't believe my ears when people who where being brain washed the by the Nigerian media and some 4th columnist to appoint Salisu Yusuf.
Talking about appointing a man whose only achievement was winning the NPFL fraudulently via board room pointswith kano pillars.
The other 2 jobs he had was Enyimba where he was sacked after a poor run of form and Niger Tornadoes.

The Nigeria media owe ordinary Nigerians who they misguided apologies for winding up support for Salisu Yusuf.
If Salisu Yusuf was the coach, we would have been talking of 2 draws not 2 wins.

You sure say no be 1 lose and 1 draw we for get sef?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:59pm On Nov 17, 2016
Loooolllll.... Emma Ado and Garba Lawal na wa oooo

I just had to share what some of our Nigerian ex-internationals actually think. *smh*

Abeg... I no fit shout... Looollll

Their wahala is too much... Hahahahahaha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
Gbam!!! Loollll... Lose in Ndola and draw in Uyo.
Hahahahahaha...
Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

You took the letters off my fingers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Hahahahahaha...

Na so.

Mtcheew.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 8:02pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Hahahahahaha...

E be like say you and sir Icon4s dey read my mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:16pm On Nov 17, 2016
forgiveness:

Of course, it is about the league he plays. If you got nothing to offer you will play in Somalia, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and so on. grin

No more double standard to bring in some players and block some players. grin

If he's good enough he should be in France..... grin
If that's the case Etebo too should be dropped from the team, going by your standard.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:26pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

Seriously, am still perplexed till date why anyone would think Salisu Yusuf was the man who will dig us out from where we were.
Funny enough Guru Maharaji went with the flow and predicted that a foreign coach will not achieve anything with the SE.
He specially pointed at the flavour of the month, Salisu to lead us to the promised land.

Salisu himself started believing his own hype. Stating categorically he will not assist a foreign manager if the Nff don't consider him for the job.

Thank goodness the Nff stuck to their guns.
Those of us who believed the super eagles needed a foreign manager have been vindicated.
Congratulations to us all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:31pm On Nov 17, 2016
forgiveness:

Maybe, maybe not. grin the best most play. cheesy
Now is the best determined by the Club one plays or what the player in question has to offer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:42pm On Nov 17, 2016
forgiveness:

No but it is better than Cypriot first division where Shehu Abdullahi plays. It is even better than the Belgium, Turkey and so on. You know what I mean.

forgiveness:

Of course, it is about the league he plays. If you got nothing to offer you will play in Somalia, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and so on. grin

No more double standard to bring in some players and block some players. grin

If he's good enough he should be in France..... grin
If your Ajagun and all those players you have been clamouring for their callup are good enough, they should be in france too. Abi no be soo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:51pm On Nov 17, 2016
terzurum5:

Now is the best determined by the Club one plays or what the player in question has to offer

At times i wonder how forgiveness analyses his football. undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:52pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

Rohr has done what our prevoius coaches have refused to do. I.e selecting the best available for each game.

Keshi was busy fighting with Moses and resurrecting Sola Ameobi's career. He also killed Sunday Mba's career.

Siasia own na wahala with Osaze. The other time too he dropped Enyeama and played Ayenugba only for Guinea to ensure his sack.

Oliseh too no wan see Enyeama.Oliseh prefared to play Paul Onobi ahead of Mikel .He also snubbed Aluko jst bc he was in 2nd division and forced Sylvester Igboun down our throat

Just look at the way Rohr handled that V. Moses' injury case. If na Oliseh or Keshi dey for don suspend the guy in a bid to "instill discipline in the team".

Imaging Oliseh appointing Musa as captain while Enyeama and Mikel were in the team just in a bid to spite the "big boys".

There is nothing so special about being a national team coach. Just select the right players and instill a good team atmosphere and u will get the results.

Come On big bros. The man made a clear point. Most of the player made their debuts under Keshi. Which means, it was a work in progress. Many of these guys today were young and were not ready for big time.

Give Keshi kudos. He tried and we should remember his contribution. One of the coaches who took time building the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

There is nothing so special about being a national team coach. Just select the right players and instill a good team atmosphere and u will get the results.

Keshi even had Alampasu and Iheanacho in his CHAN camp. The man was too much. We just chose to pick faults. I keep telling people, try picking Keshi's good works and then they will know he was a blessing. Even Aluko is Keshi's call.

Emma Ado pointed the fruits of Keshi's good works and gave props to Rohr for continuing the right way.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
Our Right back slot by next year will be good to go with all the options being made "reality" smiley

Rohr Confirms Positive Talks With Father Of
Chelsea Defender Aina & Russian Nigerian Idowu Over Playing For Nigeria

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has opened up a line of discussion with the duo of Anglo Nigerian Ola Aina and Russian Nigerian Brian Idowu over playing for Nigeria.

The duo are both full backs born abroad with
Idowu eligible to represent Russia while Aina is
already a full youth international with England
after playing for them at different age levels.

However Rohr who is keen on bolstering the
options of the Super Eagles in the full back
positions says he has held talks with the duo, and will travel to see them later to conclude talks.

”I have plans to visit Aina and his father again in England very soon and Idowu in Russia as well. I’m interested in these two players because they have the quality to make the Eagles great” He said.

”When I spoke with Aina’s father he was so
cooperative and reasonable but he wants his son to be given more time to decide”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/17/rohr-confirms-positive-talks-with-father-of-chelsea-defender-aina-russian-nigerian-idowu-over-playing-for-nigeria/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Uhmmm.... Can Ebuehi still be referred to as a benchwarmer? He's started Den Haag's games in recent times... Oh well, whatever... **smiles**

We still need am... smiley

I love the fact that he knows his personal SWOT analysis or is it just plain modesty? wink

Nigeria Target Ebuehi : Ask Rohr Why He Is
Interested In A Benchwarmer

ADO Den Haag right wing-back Tyronne Ebuehi has revealed that he was shocked to learn of his invitation to the Nigerian national team ahead of their World Cup qualifier versus Algeria, admitting that he’s still learning his craft.

The Dutch-born Ebuehi received a surprising phone call from Super Eagles manager Rohr few weeks before the game against the North Africans and told him point blank he wasn’t interested for now because he is eyeing a regular spot in the ADO Den Haag’s first team.

The 20-year-old had made only 19 starts for the
first team of ADO Den Haag when he was
summoned to Nigeria’s senior squad.

Asked why a benchwarmer at ADO Den Haag was called up, Ebuehi told his club’s official webpage :

Allnigeriasoccer.com has contacted Ebuehi,
who is eligible to represent Netherlands and
Nigeria, regarding his international future but he
declined to comment.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21103

If Ebuehi likes, let him not receive sense fast. This is not just Rohr needing him for the National team but working with an experienced coach who can refine his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

At times i wonder how forgiveness analyses his football. undecided

He fails to understand that at times you have to harmonize or compromize standards/rules with reality to achieve some set goals.
Going by his analysis players like Etebo, Azubuike, Kayode, Adi should not be given a look in.
I doubt if a player like Kayode will not bang in goals with several callups which Ighalo and Ideye have enjoyed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Come On big bros. The man made a clear point. Most of the player made their debuts under Keshi. Which means, it was a work in progress. Many of these guys today were young and were not ready for big time.

Give Keshi kudos. He tried and we should remember his contribution. One of the coaches who took time building the team.

Keshi would have done better than he he did but his team selections too were suspects. What would u say of he handing the much revered number 10 Jersey to a non-league player?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:02pm On Nov 17, 2016
Keshi had his "moments" but truth be told, he blew it as time went on. His team selections went from great to absolute bollocks...

TheGoodJoe:

Keshi even had Alampasu and Iheanacho in his CHAN camp. The man was too much. We just chose to pick faults. I keep telling people, try picking Keshi's good works and then they will know he was a blessing. Even Aluko is Keshi's call.

Emma Ado pointed the fruits of Keshi's good works and gave props to Rohr from continuing the right way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 9:04pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

if Emma ado's comments is fair enough perhaps, how about Lawal's comments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

Keshi would have done better than he he did but his team selections too were suspects. What would u say of he handing the much revered number 10 Jersey to a non-league player?

As I said, look at his good works. You are still looking for negatives. Keshi's good to the Super Eagles trumps his negatives.

What Emma Ado said is a fact and his words should Draw our mind to some things of Keshi forgotten. This does not deserve rebuke.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
But of cos... Keshi was awesome. Oh yes he was.... We cannot deny the fact that he gave most of the current players their super eagles debut and did great things for us.

But also, he blew it.... (Yes the NFF also contributed to frustrating him). His team selections became so questionable...

TheGoodJoe:

As I said, look at his good works. You are still looking for negatives. Keshi's good to the Super Eagles trumps his negatives.

What Emma Ado said is a fact and his words should Draw our mind to some things of Keshi forgotten. This does not deserve rebuke.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:13pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Keshi had his "moments" but truth be told, he blew it as time went on. His team selections went from great to absolute bollocks...

I totally disagree here. In our last three games against Keshi, if my maths is right, we won two games and drew one against South Africa the group leaders. We conceded three goals and scored seven.

The two goals we conceded happened because we took two hard injury blows. One to Hope Akpan who came in and steadied the ship with his midfield awareness. Then an injury to Omeruo. Meanwhile, Keshi did not have a contract and the NFF stopped him from coaching during the window.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Then let us also pay a blind eye to Siasia's and Oliseh's negatives.

Keshi also gave too much slots to home based players.He also had issues with the "big players" in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:16pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
But of cos... Keshi was awesome. Oh yes he was.... We cannot deny the fact that he gave most of the current players their super eagles debut and did great things for us.

But also, he blew it.... (Yes the NFF also contributed to frustrating him). His team selections became so questionable...

As I said before, Emma Ado pointed the good from Keshi. Something we are enjoying today. Keshi did not blow it but had to work under challenging conditions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I totally disagree here. In our last three games against Keshi, if my maths is right, we won two games and drew one against South Africa the group leaders. We conceded three goals and scored seven.

The two goals we conceded happened because we took two hard injury blows. One to Hope Akpan who came in and steadied the ship with his midfield awareness. Then an injury to Omeruo. Meanwhile, Keshi did not have a contract and the NFF stopped him from coaching during the window.

Why focus on the last 3 games?

Keshi lost to Congo PR in Uyo and also lost away to Sudan. TheSuperNerd was right. Keshi started well but blew it up by homself.

His priority became to scout for homebased players that he can repackage, send abroad and make money from their transfers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:20pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

Then let us also pay a blind eye to Siasia's and Oliseh's negatives.

Keshi also gave too much slots to home based players.He also had issues with the "big players" in the team.

If someone highlights good things, Siasia and Oliseh contributed to the Super Eagles, I think they deserve thanks than rebuke. Keshi did an awesome work for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:21pm On Nov 17, 2016
Reuben Gabriel, Ejike Uzoenyi, Michael Uchebo, Shola Ameobi.... Some names for a world cup squad.

He got it wrong in certain players' selection...

He remains our hero and all..... But keshi had his faults as head coach.

TheGoodJoe:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:25pm On Nov 17, 2016
Icon4s:

Why focus on the last 3 games?

Keshi lost to Congo PR in Uyo and also lost away to Sudan. TheSuperNerd was right. Keshi started well but blew it up by homself.

His priority became to scout for homebased players that he can repackage, send abroad and make money from their transfers.

Do you call his last three games starting or ending? His last three games showed the trajectory of the team. Unfortunately, the NFF then were trigger happy to let the Iconic hero go. We were one goal a way from the going to the AFCON. Chances we created multiple times in that game. Some missed by Musa and Uche.

Keshi won the AFCON, Qualified us for the World Cup, took us to the knock out stage of the World Cup. We had a poor start to the qualifiers, but finished strong.

I wonder where he blew it. Keshi gets loads of unfair criticisms but his good works trumps the bad.

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.