Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (341) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11658092 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (16149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:29pm On Nov 25, 2016
Mikel will tell us the real story in january after he hads left the club

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:39pm On Nov 25, 2016
safarigirl:
Maybe Wenger removed Iwobi just knowing that he would spend the rest of the game trying to redeem himself and it could have terrible consequences.

Sometimes, such things could affect your focus in the game and he's young and not used to such mistakes, in a UCL game at that. Pulling him out was a kinda good call, but I still think he should have waited a few more minutes

Okay, just saw the OG...in Iwobi's defence, it was a reflex action. I understand, if only the wolfish fans would understand too.

Icon4s, do you understand?

But y bring me into this discussion.
Anyways since I am here let me say something about it.

Wenger had already prepared the substitution before the OG was scored. Xhaka was already waiting at the touch line. Iwobi was already at the verge of being substituded. Its nt jst abt the OG.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:48pm On Nov 25, 2016
EUROPA LEAGUE STAR NWAKAEME OPEN TO
SUPER EAGLES ACTION

Anthony Nwakaeme (right) with teammate in Israel John Ogu

Hapoel Be’er Sheva of Israel striker Anthony
Nwakaeme has said he is now ready for a call-up
to the Super Eagles following his impressive
performances both in the Israeli Ligat hA’al and in the Europa League.

Nwakaeme was one of the scorers as Be’er Sheva came from two goals down to beat former
European champions Inter Milan 3-2 in the
Europa League on Thursday, and as calls for him
to be called to the Nigerian national team grows,
the 27-year old said he is ready if given the
chance.

“Sure, I am ready if I am called to play for the
Super Eagles, but the truth is, over the last few
years, I have had to concentrate more on my club career,” he said.

“The journalists here in Israel always ask me why I don’t get called to the national team like Nosa Igiebor and John Ogu, but it is always the coach’s call to determine that, but if they call me, I will be available.”

Nwakaeme’s goal against Inter Milan was his first in the Europa League, but he already has six goals in nine games for Be’er Sheva in the Israeli league, and finished as the second top scorer last season with 14 goals.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/666852/Europa-League-star-Nwakaeme-open-to-Super-Eagles-action

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:56pm On Nov 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
SUPER EAGLES ACTION

Nwakaeme was one of the scorers as Be’er Sheva came from two goals down to beat former
chance.

“The journalists here in Israel always ask me why I don’t get called to the national team like Nosa Igiebor and John Ogu, but it is always the coach’s call to determine that, but if they call me, I will be available.”

Nwakaeme’s goal against Inter Milan was his first in the Europa League, but he already has six goals in nine games for Be’er Sheva in the Israeli league, and finished as the second top scorer last season with 14 goals.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/666852/Europa-League-star-Nwakaeme-open-to-Super-Eagles-action

Not that I am writing him off. I am not excited about his prospects.

Permit me to say that this Anthony guy, I dnt think he can do better than Ighalo, Ideye or even Kayode. His goal was even from a penalty.What has he achieved that makes him feel he deserves a Super Eagles call up.

I would even prefare a Gbolahan Salami.

I know some will shout "lets give him a chance". There are better players that deserve that chance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:57pm On Nov 25, 2016
Icon4s:

But y bring me into this discussion.
Anyways since I am here let me say something about it.

Wenger had already prepared the substitution before the OG was scored. Xhaka was already waiting at the touch line. Iwobi was already at the verge of being substituded. Its nt jst abt the OG.
okay, brought you cuz you're a gunner

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:59pm On Nov 25, 2016
safarigirl:
okay, brought you cuz you're a gunner

coolGunner till........

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 25, 2016
Icon4s:

coolGunner till........

D sky turn Red
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2016
Who is the tallest person in the Super Eagles?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:13pm On Nov 25, 2016
Hmmm..... Just a guess... But based on players capped so far, I think it's between Ekong and Ikeme.

Ekong is slightly taller than both Balogun and Mikel... Just slightly. smiley

It's between Ekong and Ikeme.

joseph1013:
Who is the tallest person in the Super Eagles?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:19pm On Nov 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Hmmm..... Just a guess... But based on players capped so far, I think it's between Ekong and Ikeme.

Ekong is slightly taller than both Balogun and Mikel... Just slightly. smiley

It's between Ekong and Ikeme.

I have an inkling that John Ogu is taller than both guys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:24pm On Nov 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
SUPER EAGLES ACTION

chance.

Another Nnamdi Oduamadi! Fluke

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 25, 2016
Mujtahida:

Another Nnamdi Oduamadi! Fluke

grin The Tahiti guy...where is he now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:47pm On Nov 25, 2016
Icon4s:

coolGunner till........
...Wenger wins UCL grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 25, 2016
when last was a super eagles player red carded in a match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 25, 2016
krattoss:
Efe Ambrose was sent off in the AFCON 2013 match vs Burkina Faso.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:17pm On Nov 25, 2016
Chrismario:

grin The Tahiti guy...where is he now

Last I heard he is still in Italy. Some guys are just no good for Super Eagles no matter how 'good' they are. I recall then just before the world cup in 2002 Nigeria under the aegis of Onigbinde played a friendly match with Paraguay. Na so Bartholomew Ogbechie do one sangalo kick otherwise known as bicycle kick. We halla say this is the new Rashidi. Bros, to our chagrin that was the only remarkable thing Ogbechie did in our national colors. He faded away.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:27pm On Nov 25, 2016
Bia Supernerd nwoke oma, biko who was the guy that consigned Alampasu to the bench at the AYC in 2013? The guy was so good with sweet reflexes but got injured before the world cup proper. His injury paved the way for Alampasu to stake a claim. Where is that boy now plz?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 10:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
krattoss:
Sani Keita!!! NIG vs GRE 2010 WC and Efe Ambrose the most recent in our first game against B/Faso in 2013
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
krattoss:
You wicked ooo. See question. Supernerd over to you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:32pm On Nov 25, 2016
joseph1013:
I have an inkling that John Ogu is taller than both guys.

John Obi Mikel- 6ft2" (1.88m)
Leon Balogun- 6ft3" (1.90m)
Troost-Ekong- 6ft3" (1.91m)
Carl Ikeme- 6ft3" (1.91m)
John Ogu- 6ft31/2" (1.92m)

Yep, you right

Cc thesupernerd

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
SUPER EAGLES ACTION

chance.

Thank you Rohr but please don't make this an all comers affair . What has Nwakaeme got to offer more than the inefficient strikers we already have in Ighalo and Ideye? I would rather u invited Kayode than this Israeli. Lol c d boy head sef nawa oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:53pm On Nov 25, 2016
Loooollll... Holy bananas! smiley

Sir Joseph1013 is spot on... Well, mine na just guess naa... My mind no even reach Ogu sef... Loolll

But Mehn... Ogu na giant ooo...

But I came close with Ikeme and Ekong shaa...

In our starting XI, they are the tallest... smiley

And hey, Thanks Safarigirl... smiley

safarigirl:

John Obi Mikel- 6ft2" (1.88m)
Leon Balogun- 6ft3" (1.90m)
Troost-Ekong- 6ft3" (1.91m)
Carl Ikeme- 6ft3" (1.91m)
John Ogu- 6ft31/2" (1.92m)

Yep, you right

Cc thesupernerd

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10pm On Nov 25, 2016
Adeyinka Adewale....... smiley

I honestly don't know of his specific whereabouts right now. He was no.1 prior to UAE 2013 before that bad injury.

Below is an article link on his trial in latvia last year:

http://www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/generic/adeyinka-adewale-on-trial-at-latvia-side-skonto/206528

ChrisKels:
Bia Supernerd nwoke oma, biko who was the guy that consigned Alampasu to the bench at the AYC in 2013? The guy was so good with sweet reflexes but got injured before the world cup proper. His injury paved the way for Alampasu to stake a claim. Where is that boy now plz?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2016
When was the last time a player scored a freekick goal for the Super Eagles? grin

Clue: Very simple... smiley

Lest I forget... Your answer: Efe Ambrose vs Burkina Faso at AFCON 2013 (well a few guys have already answered you) smiley

krattoss:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:23am On Nov 26, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
When was the last time a player scored a freekick goal for the Super Eagles? grin

Clue: Very simple... smiley

Lest I forget... Your answer: Efe Ambrose vs Burkina Faso at AFCON 2013 (well a few guys have already answered you) smiley

That should be Simon Moses against swaziland 2015 WCQ

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:56am On Nov 26, 2016
Chaaiiii... Told y'all it was simple... wink

Well done Sir Zicky... smiley

zicky:
That should be Simon Moses against swaziland 2015 WCQ

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:14am On Nov 26, 2016
Arsenal Loanee Nwakali Turning Heads In
Holland After Another Sterling Performance For Loan Side

Arsenal teen midfielder Kelechi Nwakali who is
presently out on loan to Dutch second division
side MVV Maastricht had another game to
remember in their 3-0 win over FC Den Bosch.

Nwakali officially joined Arsenal this summer, but had to be loaned out to MVV Maastricht where he will be able to get games, that will aid his development as an 18 year old.

It took a while for the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the last U-17 World Youth Championship to find his feet in the Netherlands, but he appears to have settled into his new surroundings.

Last weekend he was one of the star performers for the table toppers, a performance which he
reproduced against Den Bosch.

He will spend the rest of the season in the
Netherlands, from where his performances will
determine if he will be included in the pre-season plans of Arsenal.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/25/arsenal-loanee-nwakali-turning-heads-in-holland-after-another-sterling-performance-for-loan-side/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:19am On Nov 26, 2016
Battle Of Rohr’s German-Nigerian Targets
Ends All Square Between Akpoguma & Sarenren-Bazee

Two German born Nigerian players who are
reportedly very high on the wishlist of Super
Eagles coach Gernot Rohr came up against each
other when Fortuna Duesseldorf drew 2-2 against Hannover 96 in the 2. Bundesliga.

The Franco-German coach of Nigeria Rohr has
been scouting Europe for players born abroad to
Nigerian parents, and from his homeland in
Germany, his sight is firmly on two promising
talents.

Kevin Akpoguma of Fortuna Dusseldorf and Noah-Joel Sarenren-Bazee of 1860 Munich are two players Rohr is keen on luring to opt for Nigeria ahead of Germany.

German youth international Akpoguma was on for the entire duration of the game for Fortuna
Duesseldorf, his 13th appearance of the season
for the team where he is on loan from Bundesliga side Hoffeinheim.

Sarenren-Bazee was also on for Hannover 96, and put in a good shift playing from the wings before he was substituted three minutes from full time, after they were reduced to ten men following the sending off of Felipe.

Both players are born to Nigerian parents in
Germany, but while Akpoguma has reiterated his desires to continue representing Germany where he is a youth international, Sarenren-Bazee is well in line to play for Nigeria.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/25/battle-of-rohrs-german-nigerian-targets-ends-all-square-between-akpoguma-sarenren-bazee/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:25am On Nov 26, 2016
Chelsea Men In Attendance As Loanee Omeruo Puts In Five-Star Performance On Injury Return For Turkish Side

Chelsea and Nigeria international defender
Kenneth Omeruo put up a commanding display
for his loan side Alanyaspor as they thrash
Kayserispor 3-0 in a league game.

The 23 year old has been ever present for his loan side since his move, but has struggled to live up to his high ratings due to some inconsistent performances in previous games.

Omeruo came back after missing Alanyaspor’s last game through an injury picked up while on
international duty with Nigeria during the
recently concluded World Cup 2018 qualifiers.

He was by far one of the best players for the
Turkish side, a performance which will no doubt
earn him glowing reports from members of
Chelsea Technical staff, who were at the stadium
to check on his progress.

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is reportedly
keen on keeping up with the progress of the
Nigerian, who signed a new deal before heading
out on loan, in view of giving him a chance to
impress in their next pre season tour.
Before joining Alanyaspor, the former Nigeria U-17 defender has endured four different loan spells since joining the Blues in 2013, twice with
Middlesbrough after his first loan spell with ADO
Den Haag of the Netherlands.
Last season, he was on loan to Turkish side
Kasimpasa, and despite been heavily linked with a loan move to Champions Besiktas, he ended up at Alanyaspor where he has grown into one of the leaders of the team.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/25/chelsea-men-in-attendance-as-loanee-omeruo-puts-in-five-star-performance-on-injury-return-for-turkish-side/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:56am On Nov 26, 2016
Kelechi Nwakali interviewed by MVV:

https://www.facebook.com/MVVTVOfficial/videos/1153308978038934/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Boy is good. He says his late dad was an Arsenal fan but he is a Barca fan.

Interview starts from 1:30 - 5:00.... Then resumes at about 8:54

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:25am On Nov 26, 2016
krattoss:

I don't knw if I'm ryt but I tink there was match Nigeria played last year ,,,,ogenyi onazi was given a red card after d refree had given us penalty,,,, odion Ighalo scored DAT penalty,,,,,dats against Chad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:34am On Nov 26, 2016
ChrisKels:

Thank you Rohr but please don't make this an all comers affair . What has Nwakaeme got to offer more than the inefficient strikers we already have in Ighalo and Ideye? I would rather u invited Kayode than this Israeli. Lol c d boy head sef nawa oo

Maybe na Collins Mbesuma brother grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (16149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 12large1, mkrest(m), 123jamessmith, lbrichman2, Longneck, comodo, lovewins and 17 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.