Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,856 members, 7,851,913 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3542) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11877388 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3539) (3540) (3541) (3542) (3543) (3544) (3545) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:01pm On May 15, 2018
fabyom:
They were lucky simple as ABC.
Thank you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 8:02pm On May 15, 2018
Taliban:

Old Striker. With all due respects to you and not on the side of Forgiveness, whether he's a tribalists or not I don't know but what I do know is besides Fred Onyedinma that Chrismario wrote below, Forgiveness on this forum has canvassed for
Efe Ambrose, Josh Onomah, Even Simi Nwankwo (he talked about Simy being given a chance within the last month). To his credit when some people said Eze is better than Omeruo, he called them out immediately and stated that there is no basis for comparism. He is also a fan of Joel Obi. For all it is worth while I totally support the team, the coach and the team list truth be told a player like Ajagun was never given a chance, I agree everyone can't make the team. Also to Kayode's matter, I feel his case is like that of a person that they want to burn and he also went to rob his body with palm-oil. It is on record that he destroyed the sports admin career of Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi one of the Godfathers of football admin in Nigeria, maybe the beef is still there with NFF but his move to Man City and failed loan at Girona nailed the coffin for him plus getting suspended for fighting attacking a referee is a bad disciplinary issue. If he's truly the age he claims, I believe with time he would break into the team.

If he is not a tribalist then he is an AGENT!!,.... EOD!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:03pm On May 15, 2018
based on current form abi wetin?

tbaba1234:

Only Amuzie potentially has a future in the SE among this 4.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:03pm On May 15, 2018
elyte89:

Dts not d koko,we can take d best and turn out worst at d tournament. Let rohr surpass keshis feat first cool

Selection is one part. You also need some good tactics and maybe a bit of luck.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:06pm On May 15, 2018
Joebie:
based on current form abi wetin?

Yes and ability.

Madu/Mustapha/wakil are not super eagles quality yet. I posted a match of wakili a few years back on one of these threads.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Farzat: 8:08pm On May 15, 2018
Nobody should talk down on Kayode's potential because of Forgiveness. Majority of us here were disappointed that he didnt make the list. Personally i felt for him and Onyekuru because they really fought hard to make it but Nigeria has many options in the attacking department. We must recommend Rhor for helping our players (bench warmers) change to new clubs and get game time before now. We must also commend him for selecting the best we have without favouritism. This is d fairest selection we've had in a long while and we should all drop sentiments and support this team.
I am only afraid that about 5 of our players are still injured or recuperating few days to the world cup. Balogoun, Ndidi, Ebuehi, Joel Obi and Etebo. l therefore call on all SE fans to remember this players in their prayers that God would grant them a speedy recovery.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:11pm On May 15, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
How exactly was Kayode better sef? You are just pushing and pushing for something thst is not true. Fact remains that Kayode had more mins in the whole first half of the season with Girona and did nothing good compared to Nacho's early season struggles with time because of a toe injury and fitness issues or even compared to Musa's super limited game time. Musa was not in the picture.

Kayode played more and grossly underperformed. Simple.

Since, you are not answering my question, it's better we seek an independent opinion that confirmed Iheanacho was poor in the first half of the season even poorer than Kayode's. GBAM

Ranked! The 12 most disappointing Premier League transfers of the season

11. KELECHI IHEANACHO (MANCHESTER CITY TO LEICESTER)

As per the above: managerial turnover causes myriad problems and players signed under one regime aren’t always valued by the next.

Iheanacho has been in the “highly promising” category for years now and not unreasonably so. He’s an adept finisher who can play either as a main centre-forward or a supporting striker, but has nevertheless fallen between the cracks at the King Power Stadium. He has one goal to his name - against Leeds in the League Cup - but hasn’t found the target (or a regular place) in the Premier League and already looks like a lost soul.

"Kelechi is a young player and he needs to improve aspects of his play," Claude Puel noted recently. Not much, then.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-12-most-disappointing-premier-league-transfers-season?_format=amp

This an independent source.

We can't shy away from the truth.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:12pm On May 15, 2018
Farzat:
Nobody should talk down on Kayode's potential because of Forgiveness. Majority of us here were disappointed that he didnt make the list. Personally i felt for him and Onyekuru because they really fought hard to make it but Nigeria has many options in the attacking department. We must recommend Rhor for helping our players (bench warmers) change to new clubs and get game time before now. We must also commend him for selecting the best we have without favouritism. This is d fairest selection we've had in a long while and we should all drop sentiments and support this team.
I am only afraid that about 5 of our players are still injured or recuperating few days to the world cup. Balogoun, Ndidi, Ebuehi, Joel Obi and Etebo. l therefore call on all SE fans to remember this players in their prayers that God would grant them a speedy recovery.

Good comment.

On the injury front, Obi was on Torino's bench for their last game so he is fit. Balogun and Ebuehi are also back training.

The important thing now is to get them to full match sharpness.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:13pm On May 15, 2018
Wilshere is not on England's team.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 8:13pm On May 15, 2018
AIG07:
It's Mikel and Mikel alone. I would have added Moses. But Tactics can do the job.

that team can play without Moses , i know Icon4s will not like this .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:15pm On May 15, 2018
Urhobo wado!!

This your least eh.. very UK leaning.
Ademola Lookman can definitely battle some players in the current SE set up e.g Moses Simon. But he still has years ahead of him. In fact he should be in our Team B right now, and should be invited for the Atletico friendly, since he doesn't need to switch his allegiance officially, to play in that match.

Dominic Iorfa is another player that is good enough for our Team B. But he still has some battle in his hands, notably Moses Odubajo and Musa Muhammed (tested and proven even at the senior level). And also the ever versatile Kingsley Ehibuize (if we decide to make a move for the former Dutch junior national).

Sone Aluko? You and I know his season stats is something to worry about. Would you pick Aluko over Iwobi at AM?

Ovie Ejaria will make my Super Eagles team B.

The rest names I ignored are not even good enough for our second team.

Tammy Abraham? please

modified
I intentionally ignored the older players. I already had my say on Ambrose.

komekn:

I had to look up the meaning of alter ego again because I couldn't believe the context in which you use it.

You used the word tribalist as a negative descriptive term.

I really do not understand tribalism. I was born in the UK, came to Nigeria to complete hight school returned to the UK to complete university.

So I speak Igbo first, then my Urhobo / Isoko and if course Warri pidgin and then a smattering of Yoruba.

I would describe myself as totally detribalised.

Recommended players;
Ademola Lookman
Fred Onyedinma ( off the boil now)
Seyi Ojo
Dominic Iorfa
Obagoal first on my list unfortunately Injured.
Efe Ambrose
Sone Aluko
Uche Ikpeazu
Tega Onomah
Tega Abrahams
Ovie Ejaria

Anybody going to Kaliningrad to watch the game I'm intending to go Lithuania seem to be entry cheap flights from Manchester. Maybe then they can testify that I'm not forgiveness LOL

Or if you like I'll be in London to watch Nigeria play England. I'll be with quite a few former Nigerian internationals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:16pm On May 15, 2018
Sweden named a 23 man squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:18pm On May 15, 2018
That na few years back na.
Amuzie's current stats is troubling. Wakili is ahead -- not far ahead o -- of all of them if we must look at current stats alone..

What about that your left back in Latvia?

tbaba1234:

Yes and ability.

Madu/Mustapha/wakil are not super eagles quality yet. I posted a match of wakili a few years back on one of these threads.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:19pm On May 15, 2018
Another case of corruption.

tbaba1234:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 8:22pm On May 15, 2018
lexyman:

the Onazi power shot that injured Babatunde Michael had a gross effect on that team , coupled with Onazi's injury ... i think the team was unlucky
No no no. Team was not unlucky. They simply didn't have a bench. Only 11 players & 12 moving objects.
SK got lucky in AFCON with the same thing. Confed cup did not teach him a lesson. Nyansh come open for world cup. See as MF yakata immediately onazi comot. Gabriel didn't even know what his duty was.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:22pm On May 15, 2018
Joebie:
That na few years back na.
Amuzie's current stats is troubling. Wakili is ahead -- not far ahead o -- of all of them if we must look at current stats alone..

What about that your left back in Latvia?

Wakili was in lithuania.. I posted his video then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:23pm On May 15, 2018
Oasis007:
Dear Forgiveness;

Though some think you are a Tribalist, but I only see you as a controversial Person. However, it shouldn't be every time you would feel discontented with the List.

The Argument seems uncalled for, it ain't necessary and simply a Distraction to the Thread at the moment. We ought to be discussing our Chances based on the invited Players. Those who are likely to be dropped and the Reasons for it?!

Enough of this Argument pls. You gonna have to move on, and support the Team as a true Nigerian/ a loyal Fan. We can't always get what we want/desire, we can't be satisfied either.

Kindly end the Discourse before it gets out of control.

Thanks man. Please, take note that it is not an argument on Kayode must go to the world Cup, it's an argument on who had a better first half of the season and the pedigree of the club or league they play.

And from the facts on ground, Kayode was better than Iheanacho and Ahmed Musa in the first half of the season. Nothing more nothing less. Fact must be establish while we move on.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:24pm On May 15, 2018
Then and now..
He's had a decent run lately. Amuzie has been awful in Switzerland.

tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:24pm On May 15, 2018
tbaba1234:

I have not labeled anyone a failure.

We need to see Lokosa perform at a higher level first. The league is not a good benchmark, the standard is too poor.

Your mind is pretty much set that he would not make it at a higher level. He has been invited to the eagles camp that is a high enough level and no matter what you can't hide from the fact that he got there because of an incredible scoring streak.

Just last season players like Afeez Aremu(Norway), Moses Ebiye(Norway), Alhassan Ibrahim(Austria), Stephen Odey(Switzerland) and Stephen Eze(Bulgaria) were signed away from the league. This happens every single year and we still push out new talent every season. For example you would have never heard of Moses Eneji if a player named Philip Azango had not gotten snapped up by AS Trencin in the middle of last season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 8:25pm On May 15, 2018
komekn:

Actually he was fit but considered not good enough.

He was fit to play in the U23's and fit to play in the cup games. So the notion that he was unfit simply lacks merit. The issue is comparison standard for selection.

If the yardstick for selection is present continous performance then Kayode should at the very least be in consideration and not frozen out quite dubiously as I see it.

Because in reality KC has had a poor season no matter the window dressing or excuses presented. After 21 games in the EPL and three goals is simply not good enough for a £25 million striker.

However his track record for SE is very good and that gives him the nod not his current club performance.

Finally,... Southgate has recovered his voice.. Hehehe hehehe grin

Hope you have made your refunds too?!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:25pm On May 15, 2018
Joebie:
Another case of corruption.

maybe the coach was influenced by the federation to submit just 23 names.

FIFA mentioned 35 for a reason. Why are these nations not exhausting the number?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:27pm On May 15, 2018
tbaba1234:

I like this idea because there is no need to put people's fathers through that stress when the coach already knows what he wants.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:30pm On May 15, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Your mind is pretty much set that he would not make it at a higher level. He has been invited to the eagles camp that is a high enough level and no matter what you can't hide from the fact that he got there because of an incredible scoring streak.

Just last season players like Afeez Aremu(Norway), Moses Ebiye(Norway), Alhassan Ibrahim(Austria), Stephen Odey(Switzerland) and Stephen Eze(Bulgaria) were signed away from the league. This happens every single year and we still push out new talent every season. For example you would have never heard of Moses Eneji if a player named Philip Azango had not gotten snapped up by AS Trencin in the middle of last season.

My mind is not set on anything. My position has always been that we need to see them at a higher level first.

Once a player proves himself, i will call for his invite but the NPFL is not yet at that level yet.

Even Morocco that has a much better league than us has no local based player in the national team.

Let the player go and prove himself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:30pm On May 15, 2018
lol

my sister it's 35 maximum. I would probably want to focus on a few players I'm sure of, a month before the world cup knowing I can always call up any player for replacement in case of casualties.

safarigirl:
maybe the coach was influenced by the federation to submit just 23 names.

FIFA mentioned 35 for a reason. Why are these nations not exhausting the number?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:31pm On May 15, 2018
Taliban:

I have liked a couple of your comments this morning. Eg we can't compare nwakali in Holland div 2 with Kayode. And I agree shak donk are better than Leicester and crotone. However what you just typed about mane and keita are exaggerated. A mane dazzling for Liverpool, who shone for Southampton would definitely be our best player, same for naby keita.

Hahahahahaha! To get invitation to the national team!? grin

When did those aforementioned players got into their National team?

While in Austrian league or after? This will determine if they will smell our national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:33pm On May 15, 2018
Usman Abbas he is.

tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 8:34pm On May 15, 2018
tbaba1234:
Wilshere is not on England's team.

That Newcastle player( I have forgotten his) must have taken his spot. Besides, he has been poor this season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 15, 2018
komekn:

I had to look up the meaning of alter ego again because I couldn't believe the context in which you use it.

You used the word tribalist as a negative descriptive term.

I really do not understand tribalism. I was born in the UK, came to Nigeria to complete hight school returned to the UK to complete university.

So I speak Igbo first, then my Urhobo / Isoko and if course Warri pidgin and then a smattering of Yoruba.

I would describe myself as totally detribalised.

Recommended players;
Ademola Lookman
Fred Onyedinma ( off the boil now)
Seyi Ojo
Dominic Iorfa
Obagoal first on my list unfortunately Injured.
Efe Ambrose
Sone Aluko
Uche Ikpeazu
Tega Onomah
Tega Abrahams
Ovie Ejaria

Anybody going to Kaliningrad to watch the game I'm intending to go Lithuania seem to be entry cheap flights from Manchester. Maybe then they can testify that I'm not forgiveness LOL

Or if you like I'll be in London to watch Nigeria play England. I'll be with quite a few former Nigerian internationals.

Very good list you have there sir. These are actually very good football players who can hold their own. But you know there's a lot of corruption in Nigeria. I would strongly suggest that you contact those guys above apart from Obagoal and Efe who have been to a WC before to dedicate themselves to their country of birth as some people have not ALLOWED them to have an opportunity with 9ja, let them immediately accept their 3 Lions invite or maybe look to play for Scotland. They are very talented and based on their talent should be able to walk into the English team, thank you sir.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sainty92: 8:41pm On May 15, 2018
forgiveness:

Which club first shartered Manchester City unbeating record? Shaktar Donetsk. grin

Arsenal will be work over for Shakhtar Donetsk. grin

All the few times Chelsea played with Shahktar Donetsk, we fumbled. grin

If Manchester City chop am, who is Manchester United and Tottenham not to chop am? grin

Roma was also beaten by Shahktar Donetsk this season. Roma was so scared to attack against Shahktar Donetsk hence the park bus system of play. grin

Who is Inter, Lazio and Napoli not to chop am for Shakhtar Donetsk hand? grin

Shahktar Donetsk has won the Europa League in this 21st century. They were even in the Semi finals 2/3 seasons ago.

Shakhtar Donetsk do come out from the group stage.

Don't ridicule Shahktar Donetsk because of one player. grin

Wonderful!! Dat means shakhtar Donetsk will easily win Premiership o. Dis one dey flog Man city, walk over arsenal and Man u or Tottenham cannot be compared to dem...Am sure they are among the 3 best clubs in d world on ranking.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:41pm On May 15, 2018
forgiveness:

As you rightly said, 'I think'. Meaning it is just your opinion and you don't have facts to back them up.

He can never meet criteria 1,2,3,&5.

1. Manchester City offered more in terms of transfer fee yet, he didn't meet the requirement.

2. Newcastle didn't offer him 25% of the top 30 earners in the EPL. Do you think Newcastle offered better wages than city in the first place? If man city offered better why didn't he get work permit since he met the requirement?

You don't have facts on ground. From a reliable source Guardiola told him personal that he fits his team style of play and he will bring him to his team once he meets the requirements. Will he bring himself low because of Kayode? N..O NO

EOD

Egbon Forgiveness.. Egbon Forgiveness.. grin

Firstly @bolded, I said within a club. That is what the criteria said... Why changing it to EPL? Top 25% of earners within a club of if not then within 50% - 75% earners within a club. This club is the club involved in bringing Kayode in. Every transfer is judged relative to the financial strength of each club. That is the criteria. cheesy So this one you are saying is off tangent again. Lol

In your bid to counter, you failed to see what the criteria said. You are only hell bent on disproving but not capturing what the criteria said.

And from the beginning I told you that Final talks were never held because Man City hijacked the deal and Kayode was drawn to City. He liked the idea of City over Newcastle.. . Newcastle were ready to get Kayode and sort out his work permit. They were ready to pay above that 3.5 million... And ensure Kayode got those work permit points... Benitez was frustrated to lose out on Kayode. It is a fact.

But Anyway, it is okay shaa.... grin You asked a simple question on what criteria Kayode would have met and I dissected it briefly for you with pleasure. And as convincing as it is... Ofcos I don't expect you to buy it naa... cheesy You accepting it will defeat your stand.

You can run with whatever you believe Egbon... But what is true is and will always remain true.

I honestly never expected you to accept. So it is cool... But just learn to live with the truth thst Kayode does not deserve to be in that 30-man list ahead if any of those forwards listed. Only Onyekuru had the right to feel denied at being left out. Onyekuru gave everything. Injury was his only barrier

And I wish Kayode the best. I hope he can make better career decisions not motivated by vain interests and motives to feel big. He should be realistic and grow from this point.

Now I only hope you can fully support the Super Eagles and not wish them losses and failure only because Kayode is not there.

In conclusion, Rohr's list is the sweetest we have seen for the Super Eagles in recent years going to the World cup... Deal with it...

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 15, 2018
mazimee:

That Newcastle player( I have forgotten his) must have taken his spot. Besides, he has been poor this season

The bald man?
Shonjo shevely or whatever
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by korlahwarleh: 8:45pm On May 15, 2018
I like (use to like) Olanrewaju Kayode before, but events on this thread is making me loathe the player somehow (like not seeing him in the GWG colors till he retires). I know this is not right though. I don't know if others are feeling this way.
There is a particular username that has been clamouring for Dessers or wetin be the guy name. Seeing that his name was not on the list, this moniker had to talk about how disappointed he was and maturedly supported and wished well for the team.
Please if the player you're supporting is not Messi or Ronaldo (even these ones you can bench them, just make sure you don't lose, play a draw or lose chances if not, your job and maybe your life/career is in danger) please do not disturb us. Thanks.

Signed
ANVW (Association of Netizens vulnerable to wailings).
Motto : Please don't kill us.

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (3539) (3540) (3541) (3542) (3543) (3544) (3545) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: johnjunior39(m), Yachambliss(m), elyte89, oluwatobi01(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.