Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,606 members, 7,861,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3868) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11935278 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3865) (3866) (3867) (3868) (3869) (3870) (3871) ... (16347) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Please stop this nonsense narrative you are pushing !!! Who has denied that the team is average? What we would never do, I repeat never do is to be negative.

And then what's the big deal - if they get beat, they come home, if we progress that's credit.

Criticism is different from negativity abeg

No one is being negative. Acknowledging fact is no negativity.

Some of you guys here don't agree this team is average.

Tbaba was arguing here the other day that this team was better than our WC 2002 squad.

All of us want Nigeria to go far and win WC, but we will not trade our objectivity for wishes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2018
safarigirl:
Mujtahida calm down, why your blood dey hot like this? grin
I hate this crassness. What they want is for us to say the team is below average, and put up not even a whiff of hope or expectation. Wimps and idiots. Men with no balls.

Even this morning listening to the presser by Mikel and Rohr, Mikel said we are the acknowledged underdogs in the group. Icons4 repeats it almost daily but we have resolved to keep faith with the team. That is what this weasels who call themselves fans do not want. Our faith in the team is what drives annoys them. We should give up - that one will give them joy. Thunder fire them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I want to see Uwa again because Idowu was exposed countess times today. He might have lost it going forward but I think he is our best option defensively
Issue is, if we're playing 3 at the back, the wingbacks have to be attacking outlets.
He offers nearly nothing offensively.
He's not bad defensively though, but he himself has been exposed a few times.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Iwobi the winger

but this was what i was talking about, he play from the wing and drift, he does that well without crossing or doing the usual things an orthodox winger does

he was the man of the match for me and he went against what some people stated earlier that he can't close a game for 90min

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
lexyman:

when i pointed out this Moses thing , somany people believe he is our joker ... i keep saying it , he 's far from it cos of the way he holds on to the ball , if we have a better option he will sit on the bench , and come in to play as a sub when opponents are tired .
Moses should be on the bench?? laughable..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
safarigirl:
we have better than Joel, so there is absolutely no reason why we should manage him.

Average players like Ogu, Ndidi, even Etebo bring more to the team than Joel, so even among average players, Joel simply does not cut it
Rohr is persisting with Joel Obi because he knows what an inform Joel Obi can bring. However, world cup go soon start. We don't have time to gamble on him. He needs to be dropped or not be a starter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KK555: 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
safarigirl:
not A bad game. four bad games.

I get am before no be property. Back in the day is not today, after all, once upon a time, Onazi was indispensable in our midfield, but look at him today undecided

Joel Obi is not useful in this team, he brings nothing and must therefore, be dropped. He should comman dash me his jersey, I hear say Nike no dey re-stock

Do you know how you,d look like wearing his jersey? It will look like danshiki on you. grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
Loogan:
Those blaming uzoho nawa ooh!!!!
The second goal by Kane he scored something similar again courtois in 2014/15 but it’s not his fault Kane is good.
But when our teenage goalkeeper who was one of our best performers is still being criticized for conceding goals world class keepers do?
Check courtois vs Barcelona or totthenham he has concided worse goals.
The boy is truely special.

I dae tell you bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2018
goldfish80:

Technically, the game would have ended 1; 1 because England didn't score again.
I will not take part in a game of it coulda
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2018
Danielnino00:
My verdict after today's game

1) Joel Obi is useless: whatever story we read on this thread that Joel was impressive in camp or he is doing well in SerieA are nothing but load of hogwash. he is very useless. I'll take Agu ahead of him any time. his fans are just hyping him unnecessary here since . they said he could play DM, CM,AM,LB... They said he could play better with Mikel.. it's been 4 games now and he hasn't done sh*t.. he should be dropped..

2) Iwobi isn't a winger: I don't think we need to deliberate on this any more... its been proven already that he is ineffective from the wings...

3) 3-5-2 is the real thing: the loss of Moses Simeon is the major reason I think this formation should b our main one at d WC..

4) Ogu is a huge asset: need I say more?? sorry for those who were saying he would b dropped yesterday

5) Odogwu Mikel is still the boss...

The first half of d game was very frustrating.. When Ndidi returns,I expect to see Onazi back on the bench.

And finally,Rohr should pls drop Joel obi

where did iwobi play today?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2018
goldfish80:

OGa this is football. If you cant hold your goalkeeper accountable for letting in a cheap goal under his arm, then we might as well give everyone on the team a free pass including Onazi.
Why do you think the goalkeeping spot is the most sensitive in the team hence, the call for an experienced head to "man" the post. A goalkeeper can make 20 good saves but one error can undo the good he did all game, especially if it costs his team vital points.
go and preach to Enyeama.

He would make 30 good saves, but his errors cost the team at certain points. You are only making this raucous because it is Uzoho, if say na Enyeama collect like this (which he most likely would have), you would not be making this much noise.

Anyway, the boy did good to many of us, let the few people who want to criticize, carry on.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lorazepam(f): 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

You are very stupid. If I were to see you I'd shove a pile of sh1t into your mouth.

We will stand with this team till the end!

You dey craze
Bro calm down and ignore inflammatory posts. You are too mature for this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

I hate this crassness. What they want is for us to say the team is below average, and put up not even a whiff of hope or expectation. Wimps and idiots. Men with no balls.

Even this morning listening to the presser by Mikel and Rohr, Mikel said we are the acknowledged underdogs in the group. Icons4 repeats it almost daily but we have resolved to keep faith with the team. That is what this weasels who call themselves fans do not want. Our faith in the team is what drives annoys them. We should give up - that one will give them joy. Thunder fire them.
The team is NOT below average. It is NOT above average either.
We want the team to go far. We are keeping faith. But we won't keep BLIND faith.
It's not that hard, is it?
We're the underdogs. And we will definitely exceed expectations. But let's not stretch those expectations too far.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
sontoly:
I repeat Onazi and em brother joel should be dropped they offered nothing , and rohr shouldnt try playing ogu in the left side of three man defence again, it worked today doesnt mean it will work tomorrow, ogu is not a defender he is not that fast.

Ogu , ndidi and mikel is the perfect midfield combo, if rohr dont see this am sorry he is fool then. Iwobi is better in midfield than wings. when playing 3-5-2 iheanacho n iwobi shld play together just like against argies.

But when playing 4-3-3 vic mosses- simy/igalo - musa should play preferable simy so he can connect with the crosses cos ighalo was useless with the crosses sent to him today, though most were wayward.

onazi n joel shld go abeg.

Honestly I expect more of this iheanacho-iwobi combo, makes our attack more mobile, rohr should be starting games with this combo, they were key to us even beating the zambians away and the algerians at home which made us pick valuable points to qualification.

I finally agree with those who say rohr is conservative.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

You are very stupid. If I were to see you I'd shove a pile of sh1t into your mouth.

You dey craze
We all stand with the team. Understanding is key.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KK555: 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
edi287:

Rohr is persisting with Joel Obi because he knows what an inform Joel Obi can bring. However, world cup go soon start. We don't have time to gamble on him. He needs to be dropped or not be a starter

Joel Obi has lost his form. He hs had enough time to prove himself but he has always struggled. I dont know what Agbo was like but any energetic midfielder with composure, decent tackling and good ball passing ability can easily take his place. It is rude to call him fat and over weight and that's what he is.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
AIG07:
you get the gist jare. I'LL be suprised if Rohr starts Onazi ahead of this guy. Ogu brings some kind of calmness to the midfield and his passes are spot on... I hope Ndidi comes back strong and get back in shape for our match against Czech
these were the posts I made 3 days ago on our midfield generally. That some folks here came for my head. Hope una don see am for yourself.
Sir, I understand that Onazi is a core member of this team.
But he is loosing his touch and fast becoming the shadow of his old self.
Dude looks overweight and does not look like someone ready to lay claim to his starting shirt anytime soon.
So for now. I'll rather/prefer to pair Ogu and Ndidi as our double pivot In a 4-2-3-1 formation than having Onazi and Ndidi's partnership.
and finally, Ebuehi has finally silenced all nay sayers. Dude is shoulder above Shehu. Clean Tackles, well timed Interceptions, excellent positioning, good crossing and finally pace. It doesn't take so much time to Identify a gem.

15 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
KK555:

Do you know how you,d look like wearing his jersey? It will look like danshiki on you. grin grin
nothing wey obioma no fit amend.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 7:58pm On Jun 02, 2018
My formation for the Czech Rep friendly and the WC would be:

————————-Uzoho——————-

————Omeruo——Ekong—-Idowu———-

—-Ebuehi——-Ogu——Mikel—-Ndidi—-—

——————-Iwobi———V.Moses—————

————————-Ighalo——————

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 7:59pm On Jun 02, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

he should be on the bench for tactical reasons ... so many times he has perfomed below average for a player of his pedigree , in GWG ... He only knows how to mesmerise african opponents .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:59pm On Jun 02, 2018
Bros, calm down. Uzoho impressed me today actually. Frankly, I wouldn't blame him for any of the goals. The second goal was a bullet shot from a top striker, not many keepers can keep that out. Personally, Uzoho wouldn't be my preferred keeper if we have lots of options, but right now he's the best man for the job.

O pari

goldfish80:

OGa this is football. If you cant hold your goalkeeper accountable for letting in a cheap goal under his arm, then we might as well give everyone on the team a free pass including Onazi.
Why do you think the goalkeeping spot is the most sensitive in the team hence, the call for an experienced head to "man" the post. A goalkeeper can make 20 good saves but one error can undo the good he did all game, especially if it costs his team vital points.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:00pm On Jun 02, 2018
safarigirl:
go and preach to Enyeama.

He would make 30 good saves, but his errors cost the team at certain points. You are only making this raucous because it is Uzoho, if say na Enyeama collect like this (which he most likely would have), you would not be making this much noise.

Anyway, the boy did good to many of us, let the few people who want to criticize, carry on.
if he doesn't improve on stopping grounders, come world cup, he will most likely do you and others proud and while Nigeria loose.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:00pm On Jun 02, 2018
Over all, a good performance from our boys.

The second half performance shows we can play if we want to.

The switch in both personnel and set up in the midfield changed the complexity of the game.

The midfield was so porous and uncoordinated in the first half.

What changed?

Change of personel: introduction of Etebo and Ogu for Joel and Onazi.
Change of set up: The team switched to 2 blocking 4: Ogu focusing more on the left side, providing cover for Idowu while Etebo teamed up with Ebuehi at the right. With Etebo also playing the box to box role.

Another coup was the continuous switch in position between Mikel and Iwobi. I saw Iwobi go central for Mikel to go to the RW. I saw Iwobi go to the flanks for Mikel to play from the Central AM position. At other time Iwobi played in the CM position just behind Mikel. Iwobi has highlighted his importance in our 2018 WC campaign. His versatility and creativity is such an asset to the team and this must be maximised. He is definitely a starter!

For those that underate the importance of midfield play, this game has shown how important a compact and co-ordinated midfield can yield results.

I am not disappointed.

We played England at Wimbley. I am sure we can beat them in Uyo. Hahaha

The way Rohr set up the midfield for the second half should be how we should set up against Croatia.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

lol.....but, you should be used to these people by now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2018
goldfish80:

If you were the goalkeeper coach, will you look at that 2nd goal and tell him, he did well?

inversely, if you were the goalkeeper coach will you look at his general performance and tell him he has done so woefully?

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2018
Jarus:

No one is being negative. Acknowledging fact is no negativity.

Some of you guys here don't agree this team is negative.

Tbaba was arguing here the other day that this team was better than our WC 2002 squad.

All of us want Nigeria to go far and win WC, but we will not trade our objectivity for wishes.
One person argues that the team is better than the 2002 set yet you guys make it sound like that is the prevailing notion here. Na today we begin watch ball?

Nope what you guys want is not to be objective. Your mind is that the team is average and therefore no one should have Faith in them. Bros even if this team were to play Brazil I will not go to watch the match believing Brazil will beat us. Lie lie. And its not that I'm blind. But that credit of believe I will give this team freely and abundantly. What do I have to lose. 94 we were burned, 98 we were trounced, 2002 we snoozed out, 2010 we failed, 2014 was the same old story. What are we afraid of again?

Una go stand for darkness dey cry average, average like adult wey wan terrify small pikin with ojuju. Abeg carry your objectivity comot for here go front page.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

You dey craze
Arsenal sef get fans. I think our ideal midfield combo has revealed. That's the good news.

Iwobi, Ndidi and Mikel

Ndidi, Ogu and Mikel

Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

oga, it's not laughable anymore, moses should start from the bench unless iwobi is injured. period
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2018
Afam4eva:

Abeg make we hear word. Even though i don't follow the super eagles as much as i used to. I remember when people used to hype Jel obi after every super eagles match about how good he is. All of sudden, just because he had a bad game, you think he's overated.

You have not been following this thread.

The rating people are talking about here is the rating since his resurgence in Torino and the consistent case for his inclusion in our starting 11.

No one is talking about his performance of 10 years ago pls.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2018
Unlimited22:

Issue is, if we're playing 3 at the back, the wingbacks have to be attacking outlets.
He offers nearly nothing offensively.
He's not bad defensively though, but he himself has been exposed a few times.

Not like today and it's not like Idowu is Marcelo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

ode.

shut up there you animsl.

are you not the same fool that said you couldn't watch the match due to heavy rain?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3865) (3866) (3867) (3868) (3869) (3870) (3871) ... (16347) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Goke7, yinkeys(m), Odunayaw(m), theophilusj31(m), 123jamessmith, sojious, Rocki01, Toylove, foxman04, Abusule007, do4luv14(m), soetanoreoluwa(m), charlesemeka85(m), daveP(m), samtol4(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.