Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11750722 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4139) (4140) (4141) (4142) (4143) (4144) (4145) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JSMMUYIWA(m): 4:37pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
I also love wingers who can cross. I actually love the best of both worlds... traditional crossing wingers and inverted wingers. Gives us varieties of attack.

But what you say is true and I have stressed it before. One pass can do quicker damage than a dribble of five players.

The power of a creative pass is so much that it carries raised to the power of 10 what a dribble of opponents will try to achieve.

Do we have the players to use headers?
All these phases needs improvement.
Our Corners were beated by the Croates by lack of height.
I think Balogun utilizes his height on one or two occasions.
But I prefer crosses from right back mostly than a wingers cross,except the centre striker is clinical.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
So far in this tournament, I haven't seen a team so fast, skillful with 100 percentage pass accuracy as the Mexican team I'm seeing now. This is what is called total football

This guys are teaching Germany and the whole world some football lessons.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
This is the same Mexico who were on our level some years ago. This same Mexico struggled to get a draw against Stephen Keshi team, look at them making nonsense of Germany while we are here having roforofo fight over Mikel and why he was not at fault for creating anything.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 4:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
Famocious:

Thrilling from the blast of the whistle..
What a game. Absolutely breathtaking from the start. Game played at 100 km/hr. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 4:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
I hope they are not on drugs, their too fast germans can cope with the counter attacks most especially boateng

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
Russia 2018 WC Updates

Germany 0-1 Mexico

From FourFourTwo:

LATEST 35' #GER 0-1 #MEX Chicharito's turn left Hummels grounded, his ball left Boateng stranded and Lozano's finish left Neuer helpless. Mexico lead and you can't really argue that it's undeserved.

Wonderful! cheesy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
grin

It's obvious the useless Pig was high on Codeine to have predicted Nigeria to reach the Semi-Final.

Hope dey don use am do Barbecue. See Football....... OMG!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 4:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
This is why we love football!! Mexico giving their all for their country while Nigerian players give their all on twitter. #Smh

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2018
Eleniyan15:

I said it mexico can shake table God save german team
If you not watching this match you missing seriously
They should have been at least 3-4 goals in this match, very fast pace game
Germany are being bent over. Mexico is giving them a fight for their life.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 4:43pm On Jun 17, 2018
These guys wan kill Germany with counter. Chai grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phreakabit(m): 4:43pm On Jun 17, 2018
3-4-2-1
3-5-2
3-6-1
4-1-2-1-2 (shape shifting)
4-1-4-1
4-5-1

All available options to us, I don't know what formation we played yesterday.
There was No triangle passing or positioning, No high pressing, players were too far away from each other, I wasn't sure if we were playing a high line defense or not... I just weak!
I am not a coach, but have read more than enough tactical analysis to know a poor formation when I see one.

With the AMAZING amount of fast players in the team we could actually even play Thomas Tuchel's crazy 3-1-2-4 formation and cause serious damage to conservative teams. We have all the requirements to play that formation effectively.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:43pm On Jun 17, 2018
Catalyst4real:
It was a very long night for me, I didn't sleep well. Kept rolling on the bed out of frustration and pain.

i sleep wella. no be now again i dey sorrow for SE loss. but there is no doubt that this defeat caused a lot of people pain. if we had won the joy would have been palpable. even the air will be sweet. it would feel like paradise. our suffering in nigeria is too much.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:44pm On Jun 17, 2018
PDPGuy:
If Mikel is to play in a deeper role (close to Ndidi, the DM), then Ndidi should never venture beyond the half-way line, especially against the Argentines.
Mikel’s slack marking and pressing would put a lot of pressure on Ndidi and our backline.
Paring only Ndidi and Mikel is not the way to go. A three man DM/CM consisting of Etebo, Ndidi and Mikel, with Iwobi sitting right in front of them as an AM would be a great idea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 4:44pm On Jun 17, 2018
fabyom:
This is why we love football!! Mexico giving their all for their country while Nigerian players give their all on twitter. #Smh

They re so organized ... defensively and offensively . also their movement is so fast and i hope they will not wear out towards the end of 90mins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:
This is the same Mexico who were on our level some years ago. This same Mexico struggled to get a draw against Stephen Keshi team, look at them making nonsense of Germany while we are here having roforofo fight over Mikel and why he was not at fault for creating anything.
More so doing it with a team of relatively poorer class. Some beautiful team chemistry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
When People say Victor Moses is skillful, I just Lol. If u wanna know the true definition of skills, watch this Mexican team, watch Carlos Vela.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
Goke7:

bros, where you dey since, grin

I have been very busy. I just take dat match rest fall.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:46pm On Jun 17, 2018
KevinDein:
Awesome game this Germany Mexico match. Fast fearless counterattacking game from the Mexicans. More of that please.
germany dey hear am. they have taken the game to the germans and holding their ground admirably. abeg goldfish80 tell me which clubs this mexicans play for.

modified: i just checked online. they play for teams like porto, west ham, standard,real betis, galaxy LA,club america,sevilla,tigresse.na madrid abi na barcelona abi man u or chelsea? compare this clubs to the clubs the german squad members play for.

its no point really to say we lost because we had average players not playing in good clubs like the croats.

our defeat is mental. i posted the video of a cockerel that fought a dog till the dog ran away.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:47pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

What same level? a draw in a friendly match?

This same mexico beat croatia in 2014 world cup,the same team you could not beat,and mind you the same croatia has a younger modric and mandzukic then,there was also perisic there.

This same mexico that brazil could not beat on their home soil in 2014 when they played a goaless draw with the host nation.

As far as i am concerned they are better than us for the past 6 years.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 4:48pm On Jun 17, 2018
How in hell can you have a snail as number 10. See how to play modern day 10. Pace, power, instinct, forward pass. Omo see football. OMDayzzzz
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:49pm On Jun 17, 2018
A Simy is in the team. Crosses to him as a true big and tall target man is not a bad idea. He is the tallest guy on show in Russia this year.

But I was basically speaking on how I would love our team to utilise that as part of our weapons going forward even after Russia.

JSMMUYIWA:

Do we have the players to use headers?
All these phases needs improvement.
Our Corners were beated by the Croates by lack of height.
I think Balogun utilizes his height on one or two occasions.
But I prefer crosses from right back mostly than a wingers cross,except the centre striker is clinical.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
ChrisKels:
When People say Victor Moses is skillful, I just Lol. If u wanna know the true definition of skills, watch this Mexican team, watch Carlos Vela.
Oga go and sit down. Why so much hate on Moses. He's our best forward. Take it or leave it.

He's 'selfish' doesn't doesn't take it away from him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phreakabit(m): 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
fabyom:
How in hell can you have a snail as number 10. See how to play modern day 10. Pace, power, instinct, forward pass. Omo see football. OMDayzzzz

You get sense? Abi mouth dey scratch you?
What do you know about the work of a 10/CM (not CAM)
Was Xavi fast? Was Pirlo fast? most of you watch tv and judge by what the player is wearing....
Most players you see wearing 10 are actually playing 8 (CAM or AM depending on formation).
An 8 requires a decent speed, a 10 doesn't.
For your info Mikel played as an 8(CAM) yesterday in a messed up formation.
He is actually best suited for a deep lying playmaker role = 10...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Khaytunechi: 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
tbaba1234:

Before the WC, i spoke about Ighalo. He offers no sense of danger. He does not chase after 50-50 balls with the defenders, off the ball runs non-existent, he does not take on defenders. I do not know if he was conserving energy. Way too static..

I don't know,, really.. maybe folks here expect the whole team to keep presenting him chances on a platter of gold.. Just look at Costa's first goal for Spain against Portugal,, the ball was 80% Pepe's and 20% Costa's,, yet he won it true sheer aggression,, ran all the way to the box,, two defenders right in front of him yet he slotted the ball in..
Ighalos very first aerial contest last night was against Lovren,, it was like two minutes into the game,, the ball was 60% Ighalos and 40% Lovrens yet Lovren won it only for our striker to roll over on the floor for one stjupid freekick that the team would never convert.. the ref gave us that kick but after noticing how easily this guy goes to the ground he stopped giving one fnck about his antics..
This guy is just too soft.. not aggressive,, not a willing runner,, not a great header,, not a sharp shooter,, what exactly is his strong point as a number nine.. it is purely based on the law of average that he's got the goals he's got for the country,, can't this coach just trust the Nacho Iwobi combo up front for once!?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
Can't just help but noticed that pound for pound, player for player, these Mexicans aren't superior to the Super Eagles. But the gap in quality of play is just too wide. They just outplayed the defending champions and could have easily been 2 or 3 goals up while we couldn't even force a save out of Subasic.

I'm sorry but I think the difference is coaching.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 4:51pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

germany dey hear am. they have taken the game to the germans and holding their ground admirably. abeg goldfish80 tell me which clubs this mexicans play for.
Their talisman Javier Hernandez (Chicharito),30 playing for West Ham. He is a devil when he plays for country
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:51pm On Jun 17, 2018
Odunayaw:
More so doing it with a team of relatively poorer class. Some beautiful team chemistry

The Mexicans are fleet footed, mobile and skillful. I have never seen a team dominate Germany since the Euro finals against Spain.
This is why I don't subscribe to just calling big name players who aren't creatives. You will end up with limp and tipid football all round like Ngr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:52pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mickael2:

in the match against Serbia Ebuehi was just as bad offensively. the truth of the matter is that as a fullback playing the same wing with a winger like VicMo in a world cup where more emphasis is laid on not losing as against winning then you can't blame Shehu at all.

You mean the game where Ebuehi was carrying an injury In all the other friendlies, he has offered far more than Shehu. Shehu was poor in most friendlies.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 4:53pm On Jun 17, 2018
andrew444:

What same level? a draw in a friendly match?

This same mexico beat croatia in 2014 world cup,the same team you could not beat ,and mind you the same croatia has a younger modric and mandzukic then,there was also perisic there.

This same mexico that brazil could not beat on their home soil in 2014 when they played a goaless draw with the host nation.

As far as i am concerned they are better than us for the past 6 years.
Not that the argument concerns me but what Is this? SE players are now on this thread or SE Is playing for a particular moniker?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 4:53pm On Jun 17, 2018
Odunayaw:
Their talisman Javier Hernandez (Chicharito),30 playing for West Ham. He is a devil when he plays for country
Hernandez gets far fewer minutes than iheanacho gets at a better Leicester team.

Just don't feel that Mexico have better players than Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
AIG07:
When your full backs are poor and clueless.,there is nothing your wingers can do.

Shehu a full back that can not open up space to receive pass for crossing is that one a fullback?

Bascovanveli and Goldfish80, you guys are not honest with the truth. Shehu was below par. Even Idowu though not phenomenal improved on his game.

Why did you think Modric kept playing those long balls to his side. They knew Shehu was not just it.
He was caught out of position so many times. Not a single cross from him.

In short he was Echiejile on the right.

It's really puzzling he has played that position for a few years now. Against Croatia he was poor very poor positional sense non existent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
Lozano is giving Mexico what Onyekuru would have given us. See pace and dribbles.

Chicharito hasn't been clinical enough though.

I haven't seen Germany under such pressure in a long while.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4139) (4140) (4141) (4142) (4143) (4144) (4145) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.