Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,753 members, 7,851,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:29 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11873693 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4265) (4266) (4267) (4268) (4269) (4270) (4271) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:01pm On Jun 23, 2018
gamaliel9:
Argentina will come at us like mad....they will never know what hit them....they will just set themselves up ....fans all over the world will enjoy this match...its going to be explosive...i saw a video in which Argentinians were rejoicing.....hum....some western press were even saying that we gave Messi and his shambolic gang a lifeline by beating Iceland....hum.....I see Argentina coming at us with eight players and leaving two defenders at the back....then it will happen.....hum...adi akolu oshi nti n agha esugo....at the end of this match...somebody will announce his international retirement...i did not mention any name ooooo

Did you see all of these in a dream?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2018
Our responsibility is to defend properly with great concentration on tuesday den hit dis arrogant average argentine team on d counter....messi ll remain a big threat so ll be dia other big players bt with a 3-5-2 formation,we av a greater chance of stifling them....our boys must take dis chance to announce demselves to d world by ousting d argies as d western media are still upbeat abt dem beating us....we need dis scalp n must want it more dan d argentines...dey av beaten us four times, lets inflict a serious wound on dem on tuesday....good luck to d bwoyz!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:06pm On Jun 23, 2018
Statistically, Musa had more defensive rating than Iheanacho yesterday. So you're wrong, Musa defended more than Iheanacho yesterday.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/93577/Show/Ahmed-Musa

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/289253/Show/Kelechi-Iheanacho

TheGoodJoe:

I do not believe I know more than Rohr. You can make your point without malignant response.

Musa being tired or not was not the response but setting up the team to conserve a two goal lead. Nacho contributes more defensively than Musa. So Musa had to be the one to go out. Not tiredness. Also, John Ogu will bring more stability at the back with Etebo dropping deep to help support the midfield in defending.

Kog45:
Good observation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2018
OMANBALA1:
Guys , I didnt watch the game but I am not surprised the 3-5-2 formation we have been clamoring for got us the win instead of playing a one man attack with Ighalo on goal drought. I am also glad Rohr listened to us and the voice of wisdom and moved Mikel to DM which gave him the liberty to express his vision to its fullness.

To be honest Ahmed Musa is not my favourite player and I am still not sold on him even after the 2 goals because I know he is not constant with this impressive showing, however just because he has the momentum I will start him ,henceforth. What I dont understand is why Rohr brought in Ighalo instead of Simmy.

I dont care if this team makes it to semi final I still want Rohr discharged of his duties after the world cup. I want a young African coach who is not afraid to take chances. I mean ,we have to much talent in our hands to be messing with this old dinosaur. I want Siasia back,biko.

I have always said that Idowu is the weakest link in our set up and it infuriates me whenever I see him on the line up...What a weak player.

I was not surprised Omeruo put in a great show,dude has been in terrific form ever since he hot married...Good woman is a blessing to her home.

Balogun is a monster...Nothing more to say.

Ekong has improved on his ball handling,I am happy for him.

Ndidi is yet to do what we have known him for...I want him to explode asap.

I want Iwobi to start in AM not in the wing and I dont know who to drop but I want to see him and Nacho starting.

Great display by the Eagles
Are you joking? you want Siasia back? the same Siasia that failed twice to qualify us for the nations cup? thank God some of you don't run our football.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:10pm On Jun 23, 2018
When he paired with Moses against the Czechs, why didn't he score?
Goke7:

Ighalo stop giving excuses that its because you were the only striker upfront, abeg you no good at all, I hope rohr makes you glue your ass to the bench henceforth
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Casemiro(m): 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2018
isan:
Team of the day Uzoho for navas Etebo for casemiro Moses for Gambia
ETOBO is a kid, I'm the best 4 in the world

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2018
Can we forget abt Iceland match and lets focus on argies match

After leading by 1-nil...I will want rohr to switch to a defensive formation

9-1-0....who's with me here cool cool

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:12pm On Jun 23, 2018
I was first to raise this yesterday but had to play it down.
Icon4s:
I just re-watched the highlights of the Iceland game for the first Time this morning.

I saw Ighalo asking for Rohr to bring him in shocked

(In Ibu's voice) So na true this thing una dey talk since
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:17pm On Jun 23, 2018
lexyman:
if i am to Vote ... i will Vote Musa's first goal as the best goal in this tournament so far . cos the ball control , confused both the defenders , the keeper ,his team mate , even the spectators ,and the viewers at home , cos they were expecting a pass . or something else .ITS ONLY ARJEN Robben that has used similar style . what a magnificent goal! grin grin grin

can someone watch it again and come here to analyse that goal
heu son min says hi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:20pm On Jun 23, 2018
I will like Rohr to stick with the players that executed the second half. Moses and Ebuehi starting as WBs. If possible they can switch positions depending on how the game goes.

Ebuehi is more calm than Idowu. Though he wasn't at his best, but he made and won more tackles than Idowu, won a corner kick and set up Musa for the shot that ricocheted of the crossbar.

Idowu is easily cut out of position.

Finally, our defenders need to concentrate through out the match. No room for sloppiness.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:24pm On Jun 23, 2018
Joebie:
Ok my brother. Job will come no worry

Amen!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Spy360(m): 10:29pm On Jun 23, 2018
Icon4s:

But sometimes Ahmed Musa can be annoying sha!
I think he is a terrible winger. His destiny is as a support striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:29pm On Jun 23, 2018
Dad I saw mine too earlier today. Really, that was quite a surprise. shocked Well, Ighalo is still one of our fine players... But for the good of this team and for our continued progress, IGHALO WILL, SHALL AND MUST REMAIN ROOTED TO THE BENCH TO BE BROUGHT IN AS AN IMPACT SUB. We cannot kill the vibes and flow of this team. Ighalo's fruitlessness in front of goal is a big worry and should rightly be benched going forward as we progress.

Icon4s:
I just re-watched the highlights of the Iceland game for the first Time this morning.

I saw Ighalo asking for Rohr to bring him in shocked

(In Ibu's voice) So na true this thing una dey talk since

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:29pm On Jun 23, 2018
Bolowolowo:
Nigeria captain Mikel slams Croatia decision to rest star players

June 22, 2018 6:02pm EDTJune 22, 2018 3:26pm EDT

The Super Eagles could find themselves relying on the Group D leaders - who plan to leave big names out against Iceland - to reach the knockout stages

Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel has called on Croatia to be professional and not rest players against Iceland in a match that could yet decide the Super Eagles' World Cup fate.

Two goals from Ahmed Musa ensured Nigeria remain in the hunt for a place in the knockout stages as they saw off Iceland in Volgograd.

Gernot Rohr's side now know that a victory over Argentina in Saint Petersburg will be enough for them to reach the last 16 for the fourth time in their history.

And though a defeat to the Albiceleste would confirm their elimination, a draw would mean they require Croatia to do them a favour against Iceland.

Croatia have already booked their place in the latter stages of the competition, and as such manager Zlatko Dalic has vowed to leave out some of his star players in a bid to conserve their fitness.

Mikel, though, does not understand the reasoning behind Dalic's decision and feels it is unfair on the rest of the teams in the group.

"I don't think it's the best thing to do," he told Goal. "This is a massive tournament - you can't rest people and give others a chance of qualification.

"They should be professional and play their best team. This is such a big stage that you can't rest players just to help other teams to qualify."

Nigeria have faced Argentina four times in their previous five World Cup appearances, losing on all four occasions, but the form of the South American outfit has raised hopes that the Super Eagles can end that run.

Lionel Messi Argentina Croatia World Cup 2018

Despite counting Lionel Messi among their number, Jorge Sampaoli's side have picked up just one point from their two games thus far, including an embarrassing 3-0 defeat to Croatia on Thursday.

However, Mikel is aware that recording the victory his side require will be no easy task.

"I think they have played well. It's going to be a tough and difficult game for us."

Both Nigeria's clash with Argentina and Iceland's match with Croatia take place simultaneously at 7:00pm BST (2:00pm ET) on Tuesday June 26.
naaaa Croatia wouldn't want to lose the match based on the fact that they need one point to secure top and therefore avoid france and they wouldn't want to rely on gd because we are going to be playing at the sametime

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:29pm On Jun 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

Yakubu scored plenty goals for Nigeria. Ighalo is not on the same level yet.

I hope Ighalo and Iheancho get among the goals in the next match, we need confident strikers going into the second round.

Yeah boss, I'm referring to him being alone upfront like Yak was most of his career. He wasn't that poor atall.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:30pm On Jun 23, 2018
goldfish80:

The only North African team who would have done very well at the world stage was the Abu Terika Egyptian golden generation.
They played up to the finals of the confederations cup and frankly would have done well if they had managed to qualify for the 2006 world cup.
final ke? you are talking about 2009 confederations cup, and they exited at the group stage, coming last in their group with 3 points, they beat Italy tho but lost heavily to USA and marginally to Brazil

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:31pm On Jun 23, 2018
AIG07:
It seems Nigeria's supporters club are not in Russia. Cos me can't see them. It only individuals who came to the stadium that was cheering the team to victory.
actually they came its just that drums were not allowed inside the stadium go check fp you will see the thread there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:32pm On Jun 23, 2018
elyte89:

Even after leading, I won't want us to park the bus.

We are playing against Messi, Dybala. They all have great curling skills and can shoot from outside 18 box. We will concede more free kicks in dangerous areas playing with 9 men behind the ball.

All the team needs is quick transition. Quick passes and counter attacks will be too much and unbearable for the Argentines. Diagonal runs from Musa and Nacho will break and unsettle their defense line. That's why Ighalo is not needed at all in that game.

Hoping to see Iwobi coming on early in the second half.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:32pm On Jun 23, 2018
Please who knows the time the Argies are supposed to leave for the airport.

I want to help them pack their suitcases

smiley

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:34pm On Jun 23, 2018
Neimar:
Nigeria is going to lose to Argentina I predicted Croatia beating us Nigeria beating Iceland
for where?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:35pm On Jun 23, 2018
elyte89, how about Joel Obi play the pivot of the 9-1-0 and when attacking, Moses is left upfront? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 10:40pm On Jun 23, 2018
elyte89:

9-1-0 killed Sweden today grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:42pm On Jun 23, 2018
Amedino99:
actually they came its just that drums were not allowed inside the stadium go check fp you will see the thread there
Thanks. I saw the news.

What is required of them is to inform FIFA/LOC on their plans earlier. Probably before the start of the tournament. Take your musical instrument to the venue few hours to the games for inspection. I'm sure if these are done, no one will deny them entry.

They don't have any excuse and they need stop playing the blame game. FIFA is not marginalizing us. We are just not doing things the right way. Other fans are sha allowed into the st with their Musical Instruments.

I think the Local Organizers are only been cautious! Nothing more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:49pm On Jun 23, 2018
With love from Argentine fans forum

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:54pm On Jun 23, 2018
Lolz... grin...

More wailings and their beliefs about beating Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:56pm On Jun 23, 2018
Wrong assertion. Most of the people criticizing him including me have always had him in our lineup. Lets stop this attitude of always thinking motive is behind criticizm
goldfish80:

It's a mass hysteria effect. The Ighalo bashing is agenda driven. You have to be an independent thinker to figure this out.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2018
realpoacher:
With love from Argentine fans forum

Wondering why they wrote in English and not Spanish, their official language. Or was it translated to English?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2018
Savage!
Icon4s:
If una say Ighalo dey beg Rohr to enter pitch, what about Iheanacho that was begging Musa to give him the pass so he can do a simple ''Tap-in'' after Musa had done all the serious work. grin grin grin grin

A special shout-out to TeamTap-InMerchants grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:06pm On Jun 23, 2018
daveP:
elyte89, how about Joel Obi play the pivitvof the 9-1-0 and when attacking, Moses is left upfront? grin

Nice one bro grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:10pm On Jun 23, 2018
Icon4s:

Wondering why they wrote in English and not Spanish, their official language. Or was it translated to English?

I am suspecting that they wrote in English... The website as whole have everything in English

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 11:10pm On Jun 23, 2018
AIG07:
Even after leading, I won't want us to park the bus.

We are playing against Messi, Dybala. They all have great curling skills and can shoot from outside 18 box. We will concede more free kicks in dangerous areas playing with 9 men behind the ball.

All the team needs is quick transition. Quick passes and counter attacks will be too much and unbearable for the Argentines. Diagonal runs from Musa and Nacho will break and unsettle their defense line. That's why Ighalo is not needed at all in that game.

Hoping to see Iwobi coming on early in the second half.

the only way to beat them is to outscore them ... thank God they have old men at the back , we have youg blood who can put them under pressure

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:21pm On Jun 23, 2018
realpoacher:
Lolz... grin...

More wailings and their beliefs about beating Nigeria

What's the link?

(1) (2) (3) ... (4265) (4266) (4267) (4268) (4269) (4270) (4271) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: PurpleHouse(m), Meliforme and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.