Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,495 members, 7,847,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:49 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11843006 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4277) (4278) (4279) (4280) (4281) (4282) (4283) ... (16240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 3:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
See wetin I see for front page
I suspect that this might be a mind game to divert the mind of the super eagles team from effective preparation. Our coach should better not use a back 3 this time around coz this people will use a front 3. A 4-3-3 formation with Etebo, Ndidi and Mikel in their middle, then a front trio of Simi, Musa and Iheanacho

How Nigeria can beat Argentina, I am not a football analyst, just a crude observer
To beat an opponent in football is not rocket science.
It depends on the coach and the players, of course they make up the team.

1. THE FIRST HALF IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE SECOND HALF: This is one of the issues of mindset. I can remember a certain commentator referring to Nigeria's Super eagles as a second half team, and this is a consequence of we not performing in most first half of our matches. The first half is the time you have to destabilize your opponent. This was the first mistake made by Iceland, they fail to destabilize us from the first half by preferring to seat in their box and play on counter thereby allowing us to grow in confidence which begin to become evident towards the end of first half but actually materialize in the second half

2. DISPOSSESS THEM: We have dribblers and a lot of them in the Argentine National team, the likes of Dybala and Lionel Messi. But it is actually very possible to dispossess these wizards. We blacks are known for our Strength, and this is one thing we have to use to our advantage here. When an opponent player is holding on to the ball, two of our players should rush to tackle him, while the other player around that part of the field should mark, one-on-one, other opponent players nearer to the player in possession of the ball should in case he passes to any of his teammates around him. This tactic will prevent Argentina from having much needed time on the ball, and consequentially reduce their chance of scoring.

3. DON'T PLAY OLD TIRED LEGS: This is actually a message to the coach. The likes of Onazi, Joel Obi and Ighalo have done well for Nigeria in the past. I can remember the Confederations cup in 2013 or 2014, where Onazi was our star player and Mikel Obi was on fire after they had helped us win the Nations cup in 2013. These guys are past their prime now. And you can't expect them to start running around the field to actualize the step number 2 above. To implement the step two above, we need young players who can run tirelessly for a whole of 90 minutes. Mikel Obi can still be used because he is a reliable defending midfielder.

4. COMPLETE PASSES: No player should hold on to the ball for too long, except if he is pressing forward with the ball. Even if na just to pass to the person beside you and take the pass back in a second. Pass the ball around, distribute the play and always find a way to move forward. This would destabilize the opponent.

5. DON'T FORGET TO PLAY AS A TEAM: This is the most important part of this write-up. The code is Massive-Attack, Mass-Defend. When you mass defend, you automatically implement the step two. When you mass attack, you expose their defense and give them a tough time. However, we must be careful not to expose our defense when we mass attack. There must be, at least three of our defenders should be at the midfield in case of counter attacks.

I recommend a 4-3-3 formation.
Moses-Omeruo-Leon-Ekong.
Etebo-mikel-Ndidi
Simi-Iheanacho-Musa
47 Likes 4 Shares

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:24pm On Jun 24, 2018
goldfish80:

Kane is doing well to pad up his goal stats against weak sides.
Although, I think England are in for a jolt of quality shake when they face a half decent team next round

This is the first time in history that England is not just filled with carpenters and water carriers.

My biased sentimental view is that in the history of English football we have never had so many African origin players.

You have real ballers in midfield Dele Alli, Lingard, Rueben Loftus-Cheek.

Two clear ball playing CB's in Stones and Maguire if Gomez didn't get injured he would be in the squad.

Some quality Wing backs Walker and Rose with pace although I think Musa is faster than both. Musa could be the fastest player in this tournament.

Then up front you have Rashford, Raheem, Welbeck and course Numero 1 the cane that is flogging everybody Harry Kane.

This is the first time England have scored 6 goals in a World cup match.

So they are looking very good Indeed.

You usually need at least one world class player to win it and without doubt Harry Kane is World class.

When they play Belguim there is nothing to really for beyond bragging rights. So otherwise I would say that's a crucial game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 3:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
komekn:

Musa first name on the team sheet.

Ask any defender what's your greatest fear and it's BLISTERING PACE you simply can not defend against it.

Look at the Argentines Otamendi will be left for dead by Musa. I actually expect Musa to score.

With Ighalo holding up play or nodding it on for Musa to run on to it, expect GOALS.
Ighalo will not do all those things you mentioned.

I'll rather have simy pair Musa than Ighalo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:33pm On Jun 24, 2018
komekn:

What about Higuain
exactly nobody has pointed the tactical threat he offers.

Your point about francis always hoofing the ball upfield to me that shows he is taking the option of safety first if we had midfielders who could easily beat the high press I'm sure he would prefer to use such passing channels
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 3:40pm On Jun 24, 2018
All that is needed from our players most especially our midfielders is one touch football coupled with quick passes. I don't want our team to be set up to sit back and absorb pressure. It might just cost us.

Get out and bombard them and see their vulnerable defence crumble.

An early goal for us can be the difference.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 3:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
charlesemeka85:
if both are paired then the duo of iheanacho and musa will deal with them mercilessly

grin

LMAO....... today is kinda interesting!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 3:44pm On Jun 24, 2018
grin

This Thread is blessed with many Grade-A Analysts. I am really enjoying their insightful Observations and detailed Recommendations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
safarigirl:
leave tomorrow to deal with tomorrow

We know that Enyeama's height was a factor for Vogts, it was the one thing that always went against him, so, we understand his own wahala. That one no join.

For today, give praises to who it is due. Pesin wey do well suppose get pat on the back. So, leave tomorrow for tomorrow to handle its self.

You said coaches don't like to change their no 1 goali but I proved you wrong.. Now, you gave excuse that 'that one no join' forgetting the there will always be an excuse.

I never said he has not done well. Infact, I am impressed with his performance so far and I applaud him for that.

However, I just dey talk my own.

Ps. Shiabu Amodu benched Enyeama for Dele Aiyenugba when he was coach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:49pm On Jun 24, 2018
I hate to say this, but I think people are over stating this Musa/Iheanacho combo.
The truth is that they still have a lot of work to do when it comes to their combination play, because in the last game, they actually hardly found each other with connecting passes, through balls or 1-2s. (see Dwight York, Andy Cole partnership)
Yes, we scored 2 goals but it was down to individual endeavor more than great combination play between those 2.
Hopefully, the coaching crew work on those with their combinations if that's the way to go.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:51pm On Jun 24, 2018
olapluto:
Ighalo DID NOT BEG ROHR TO COME IN.
After rewatching our win against Iceland many times, especially FIFA.com highlight, I can safely say Ighalo was not begging to come on. He was already warming up before the goal. After the goal, he asked if he was still NEEDED or if the coach wanted to defend the 2 goals, in which case he wouldnt need to increase his warm up tempo.

Sir chriskels abeg,bookmark dis man for future reference grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:55pm On Jun 24, 2018
goldfish80:
I hate to say this, but I think people are over stating this Musa/Iheanacho combo.
The truth is that they still have a lot of work to do when it comes to their combination play, because in the last game, they actually hardly found each other with connecting passes, through balls or 1-2s. (see Dwight York, Andy Cole partnership) y
Yes, we scored 2 goals but it was down to individual endeavor more than great combination play between those 2.
Hopefully, the coaching crew work on those with their combinations if that's the way to go.
the combination that has been proven to work is the Iwobi-Iheanacho combo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 4:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
I saw an English fan drumming during their match with Panama. It could be that our supporters are not following proper procedure if they are not allowed in with musical instruments.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 4:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
Simeon Nwankwo, who has better movement than Ighalo, should start on Tuesday.
Nwankwo can also hold up the ball well, and will be a handful to Otamendi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
safarigirl:
the combination that has been proven to work is the Iwobi-Iheanacho combo
I thought so too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
Senegal are just playing with their kid bros cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
Funny pictures down there.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 4:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
that Japan keeper clearly struggles to see ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:20pm On Jun 24, 2018
We need a draw because i can't see Iceland beating Croatia 3:0. We can not play for a draw though. We need to try to get a goal or two.

The Argentine team is low on confidence. If we get the first goal, they will take more risks and leave more spaces at the back... We need to stay organized and counter with purpose. Iceland caused their defence plenty of trouble with the counter.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
komekn:
[no author=Humility017 post=68757757]
please you give that list to.Southgate....we don't mind gift him to England...

I wonder how you analyse football.... field a player on goal drought in a very important match of that kind.
I believe you will make a poor manager....

So who is the player in goals FLOOD please tell us oh.

so you've been ignorant all this while to know that Ighalo you're clamouring for is still on goal drought...
no one knows when the drought will come to an end...

the player who scored two goals in the last match...is he a defender?
how about simmy and nancho are both defenders?

you really need to abreast yourself with the happenings in the super eagles...I quite understand it's not easy to affiliate with 2 teams at same time in same tourney....

but still better you come here to learn than start pouring out watery analysis

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 4:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
diadem10:

Look at this one? Who is Musa that he can't be man marked? Is he better arjen Robben that was man marked the last time out? Lol. Abeg.

The only thing the team can do to help out Musa is ensuring there's another player that can offer up similar threat to take the opposition focus off Musa momentarily.

Really Watch out and see , remember all defenders hate players with pace they get frustrated easily the mostly result in set pieces
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
tbaba1234:
We need a draw because i can't see Iceland beating Croatia 3:0. We can not play for a draw though. We need to try to get a goal or two.

The Argentine team is low on confidence. If we get the first goal, they will take more risks and leave more spaces at the back... We need to stay organized and counter with purpose. Iceland caused their defence plenty of trouble with the counter.

should Iceland win by that margin and we win Argentina with a two goals difference....
is it still possible for us to top the group...?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
somehow:

He was called to the Nigerian camp because of the LB role he played at hull nothing else.
No Sir,Aina was called to camp cos we are having issue with RB position.

The build up to our WC and Afcon qualifiers should tell you that, remember against Tanzania Musa Mohammed played as RB but Rohr wasn't satisfied and deployed Ndidi as RB against Zambia in Ndola.Also Omeruo played the position against Algeria and Shehu played it against South Africa.

This was what prompted Rohr to search for quality RB in Aina and Ebuehi.Prior to Cameroon match,Aina was to start but his late paper clearance from FIFA denied him and Shehu performance against Cameroon gave him an edge later run.

Aina introduction as LB in eagles was due to Echiejile injury against Zambia, remember he came in for Echiejile and he continued the role against Algeria and Argentina.

Aina's eagles invitation was to solve our initial RB problem but circumstances pushed him to LB but failed to seized the opportunity.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 4:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
All of u screaming holdup play holdup play... Watch Senegal ND see how Niang is doing his own... He is managing to turn ND start attacks... Not gumming Yansh against d opponent players praying for a foul like ighalo..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:29pm On Jun 24, 2018
Humility017:

should Iceland win by that margin and we win Argentina with a two goals difference....
is it still possible for us to top the group...?

We would need to beat Argentina 3:0 too..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 4:29pm On Jun 24, 2018
These Senegalese are huge, mehn.

Physically, the game is a mismatch. grin. The Senegalese, on average, are like 5 inches taller and 20 kg heavier than the Japanese.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 4:34pm On Jun 24, 2018
nice goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 4:34pm On Jun 24, 2018
olapluto:

Iheanacho will be happy about that. I am hearing Rojo will be deployed to partner Otamendi in central defence.

Am really praying for that those two players hate pacy attackers when defending, just like me grin

O lord, Argentina are in for a tough ride where God go punish dem those two players like to overlap then Argentine squad are doomed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 4:34pm On Jun 24, 2018
Beautiful Goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:40pm On Jun 24, 2018
Mikel fractured one of his Metacarpal bones. He will still play the match with a cast.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
komekn:
England flogged Panama 6-1

It's on this forum that it was stated Kane is over hyped by quite a few.

The England team is rubbish, English players are not good just media hype .

Well I wonder what they will say now.
bros. against funking panama

panama for goodness sake.
Haba!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
komekn:

I would agree with you without reservation.

In order to make a substantive deduction about quality what is benchmark or unit of measurement that we are using.

Is it just height or is it the youngest or is it club performances, he has had two senior games in club football he is essentially an academy player.

Uzoho has done OK not exceptional the only thing that distinguishes him from all the other Nigerian goalkeepers is one thing, OPPORTUNITY.

For whatever reason he was given the opportunity thats all, there was no methodology to it.

If other goalkeeper were given the same opportunity would they have done better, We will never know because they were NEVER GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY or you could say in the negative they were denied opportunity.

But that no longer matters he is the one selected we will support him. How far will he go in club football after the world cup. I absolutely have no idea, but it's a big boost to his career at age 19.

That's the word. Opportunity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
PDPGuy:
Simeon Nwankwo, who has better movement than Ighalo, should start on Tuesday.
Nwankwo can also hold up the ball well, and will be a handful to Otamendi
Sir i have a question,pls did you watched Simy closely this season cos you are so confident that he has better movement than Ighalo.

I watched him very well in just concluded season and i will still pick Odion Ighalo but for now i want to see Musa/Iheanacho and possibly Iwobi against Argentina

Sir to beat Argentina is simple and is all about taking ball to them, check out their friendlies against Nigeria and Spain and rate their performance so far at WC.

If not for Lionel Messi ordinary Haiti would have draw Argentina during pre WC friendly.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4277) (4278) (4279) (4280) (4281) (4282) (4283) ... (16240) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chrisooblog, iamdynamite(m), Dsimmer and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.