Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,345 members, 7,864,635 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4277) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11953650 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4274) (4275) (4276) (4277) (4278) (4279) (4280) ... (16371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

So why complain when Moses wants to prove he has the ability to take on defence without passing. I did not say Musa has to but he chose the harder option.

Finito.

Haba bros this is too much na. Even on Sunday?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sainty92: 12:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Go back and watch the game again but this time relax your mind.
Guy u want the coach to bench our most potent attacking threat at dis crucial stage? Sometimes i wonder if some people in this thread mean well for the Super eagles. U want them to bench a player who gave the assist to open up Iceland for our first goal at d worldcup? Someone that worked his socks off down the right flank both attacking and defending for the full 90mins? Yes he likes to dribble so as to open up space for teammates. Nobody in football has 100% dribbling completion so he tends to fail sometimes. Will u bench Hazard for Belguim because he dribbles? Will u bench a Neymar for brazil? Why do u want us to bench our star player if u mean well for d team? I can beat my chest and say Victor Moses is d only player in dat super eagles team who can play anywhere from defence to attack. RB, RWB, LB,LWB, SS, etc. That is because he is a hardworking player and he is very fit. Removing Moses from the team will reduce the bite the eagles has wen attacking and defending. I don't understand why people still criticize Moses even after his performance against Iceland. Is it personal hatred? I dont care if he has a saucy personality, so far he keeps churning out impressive performances on the pitch am ok. Bro today is Sunday. Fear God o.

15 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JSMMUYIWA(m): 12:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
LieDetector:
My line up to take us to the next round
Uzoho
Balogun Ekong Omeruo
Moses Mikel Etebo Ndidi Ebuehi
Iwobi Musa
. Good. But I prefer Iheanacho to Iwobi. Iwobi as AMF okay,but forward? I don't understand that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
darkelf:

Lol.
Chai cheesy grin
We are one Bro. I can only wish them bad when they are pitched against us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:24pm On Jun 24, 2018
jihday:
Oga we must out score them, if they score 1 we'll score 2 if they score 0 we'll score 1 or 2 sef

I no wan argue here, we have never outscored them except in a friendly match. Hopefully we do what matters by either winning or drawing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by diadem10: 12:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
JSMMUYIWA:
Good.
But I prefer Iheanacho to Iwobi.
Iwobi as AMF okay,but forward?
I don't understand that.
Don't understand either but Iheanacho hasn't been playing like a proper forward either.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

It is a joke and an insult to question the attitude ViMo brings to Nigeria. He works the hardest on the team. No matter what is going on up front Moses will always track back and defend. The wing he plays is usually unplayable thanks to the labour he puts in.
I'm always amazed at that perception, lest we forget these guys are also building their CV.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
*Some super eagles stats after Friday's game

- Mikel is now Nigeria's joint third record appearance with 86 caps tied with Muda Lawal and Kanu

- Musa has jumped from 13th to 6th Nigeria's all time top scorer.. he now has 15 goals in 76 caps...

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
Yep. But I prefer we beat them. But a draw will also see us through.

I recall that it was even head-to-head (number of points obtained between teams involved) in the CAF Zone WCQs that stopped us from heading to Germany 2006. We had a better Goals Difference then but poor head to head.

**Modified**

Dad Icon4s, you were right all along. My mistake no thanks to Rush hour to service. Happy Sunday Biko... wink

Icon4s:

Ow, really? Then we are a lot better placed.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:
After carefully looking at different angles and suggestions, I think boss Icon4s point on having the force of full backs being critical to us cracking the opposition, I think our set-up in most of the second half of the Iceland game is our best set-up. Most especially having most of our most mobile players in front of the set-up makes a whole lot of sense.

We can press with force, track back with intensity and counter attack with insane speed. Even though I feel Moses would be devastating pairing as a mobile striker with Nacho, I feel him playing the wing back along with Ebuehi on the left will provide the right balance.

Fly Eagles Fly.

This is our best formation for the next game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4f5mEy-NE

Watch from 00:28 you could see Anderson had a Chance to score but instead opted for the man in space. As I said before the team's glory beats an individual glory. Which is what I am pointing out. You are more interested in Musa's glory than the team's glory.

The picture you showed of Musa showed that he could easily roll the ball ahead of the keeper given that the keeper had just dropped. Passing it to Nacho would've delayed the attack and give that Iceland defender more time to mark him. In the interest of time and scoring, what Musa did was actually more convenient.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
jihday:
I'm always amazed at that perception, lest we forget these guys are also building their CV.

Exactly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by diadem10: 12:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

It is a joke and an insult to question the attitude ViMo brings to Nigeria. He works the hardest on the team. No matter what is going on up front Moses will always track back and defend. The wing he plays is usually unplayable thanks to the labour he puts in.

The thing is he gets into many great position but wastes it either by falling on his butt, excessive head down dribbling when a pass should suffice or balloning the ball into the crowds, that's when he isn't putting in poor crosses.

No one is saying he's not hardworking but he's not as intelligent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbloke(m): 12:56pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Actually Dad... It is Head-to-head ahead of Goals Difference. That is the new rule.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/tie-breakers-for-russia-2018-groups

Wrong. Read the link you posted well. Goal difference first.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
On my end, this is not the time for much talk and debate. We have a game to win. We have a jinx to massacre and send into oblivion. Argentina is going down. They won't survive this. So, see you all on Tuesday coz "I" and "the boys" are going into deeper meditation and strategic training ahead of that June 26 showdown. Our wind is back and there will be no mercy for Messi. Group D has one more shocker to dish out and that will come Tuesday.

Dad Icon4s... Biko no calls, no SMS, no check-ups... This is war!

#SoarSuperEagles #ThePowerOfNaija #ArgentinaIsGoingDown cool

Happy Sunday Y'all

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
Hello house was working super sport this morning and they did a tactical analysis suggesting that if higuain should start alongside messi and aguero they will deal with us how do you guys reckon we can reduce the effectiveness of this forward line of the argies?

One thing is for sure we have to start matches much better because if we are lethargic in the first half as previous games then I'm scared what the argentinians might do to us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 12:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
My man dia.... Mek we liberal dey go jo....

BTW I just have this feeling that if we can survive the first half against Argentina without conceding or losing. Then we gone scale through. Cos the Argentines will come all out in the second half... Leaving spaces for counter attack from our speed stars.

Just can't wait... Gonna be a game.

grin
Oasis007:

grin

Not surprised! If you know, you know!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

We are one Bro. I can only wish them bad when they are pitched against us.

I know bro.

A certain meme came to mind when you asked that question.

Involving the Nigerian passport......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
diadem10:

The thing is he gets into many great position but wastes it either by falling on his butt, excessive head down dribbling when a pass should suffice or balloning the ball into the crowds, that's when he isn't putting in poor crosses.

No one is saying he's not hardworking but he's not as intelligent.
no doubt victor moses is a good athlete but his decision making can be better when he gets it right which I pray he does against argentina he can be quite deadly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 1:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
Kai angry Argentina have so beaten us, over and over again, that we, are so scared, of them, even when, they are so poor... Especially messi, he has been dealing with us since 2005, under 20, 2008 Olympics, 2010 world cup, 2014 world cup... Anndddd

Now we are here again, messi again, Argentina again.. Our, nemesis, we all are so scared, some people are even suggesting 10-0-0 formation, lolz.. But what have we being doing wrong over the years?, have we asked ourselves?... Is it that we are cursed?, or they are just so much better?..

And i came to the conclusion, that the problem is mentality, we always fidget and get scared when playing argentina, we need to start seeing ourselves as winners, the players need to enter the pitch, not thinking of maradona, bastituta or our present nemesis messi, but the should enter the pitch , thinking of winning , they must have the intention of winning, not just hoping to winning .. They should not wait for argentina to bring the game to us, like we always do, and then try to react later. We must be proactive, not reactive .. We can't be doing same thing and expect change...

After all, what has been scared of Argentina and their big names given us over the Years?, yes we have been beating, beating over and over again.. So let's damn being timid

Time for mikel to take a sweet revenge from that messi

And who knows, if the reason we are always been grouped with Argentina, is nature telling us to grow some balls, grab the bull by the horn, and go into the field wanting and intending to win, not going into the match hoping and trying to manage the game like we always do..

Ask the 1996 Atlanta team, they had balls, and intent.. That's what we need!!!

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
On a lighter note, my starting line-up against argentina

Akpeyi

Awaziem, Ogu, Omeruo

Shehu, Echiejile

Joel Obi, Onazi, Ndidi

Ighalo, Simy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
No time to answer all mentions my good man.... I was more focused on the following red-colored italics below rather than the bolded italics below in quote box... Goals difference in all group matches indeed comes first before the colored-italics explaining head to head. So thanks for pointing it out... I was in rush hour to service while I dropped that and logged out hence the oversight.

I recall we lost out on head-to-head to Angola in 2006 despite having the superior goals difference but same points, but again I believe the rule at the tournament proper was tweaked a bit which resulted to the info in the link... At tournaments, FIFA rates goals difference first indeed before H2H.

So for the benefit of all, here we go....

From FIFA.com:

With the group stages now well underway at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, we are entering a crucial phase where teams begin to seal progression to the knockout rounds.

But what happens if your side finishes level on points with somebody else? How are the final placings in the groups determined?

Here are the tie-break scenarios for rankings in the groups:

​-Greatest number of points
-Goal difference in all group matches
-Goals scored in all group matches

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

-Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned

-Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned

-Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned

-Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)

-Drawing of lots by FIFA

Same link: https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/tie-breakers-for-russia-2018-groups

Happy Sunday... I really gotta sign out now. The boys and I got another Giant to slaughter and knock out on Tuesday.

Don't forget to get your musa rice today grin and fly with the Eagles... cheesy

**Zooms off**

superbloke:

Wrong. Read the link you posted well. Goal difference first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 1:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
1994 squad will still be regarded as the best
BascoVanVeli:

Ehn! Abeg no talk am o forget records on this one. I tell you Sir that if this team makes it into the second round at the detriment of one Lionel Messi in what is publicly know to be his last bite at the world cup, they will be forever remembered by football fans.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:21pm On Jun 24, 2018
How I want Panama to embarrass this English team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:22pm On Jun 24, 2018
Panama has ballers but a little careless...penalty
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
darkelf:
On a lighter note, my starting line-up against argentina

Akpeyi

Awaziem, Ogu, Omeruo

Shehu, Echiejile

Joel Obi, Onazi, Ndidi

Ighalo, Simy

What is this? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 1:24pm On Jun 24, 2018
How can someone even suggest a striker to pass such a ball. If I am a coach and my striker pass such a ball, I will put him on the bench straight. The good Joe stop falling hand abeg. Why you no show us Messi, Ronaldo del Nima, Maradonas goal. Those are the goals that separate the best players from the average ones.
Bolowolowo:

The picture you showed of Musa showed that he could easily roll the ball ahead of the keeper given that the keeper had just dropped. Passing it to Nacho would've delayed the attack and give that Iceland defender more time to mark him. In the interest of time and scoring, what Musa did was actually more convenient.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 1:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
I am so scared of Tuesday's game. I think the Argentines will come at us in full force. It will not be easy, I say it again it will be very difficult for us to get a draw. They have the personnel to hurt us.
However, they cannot continue to beat us till eternity one day one day that will change and Tuesday might just be the day
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 1:38pm On Jun 24, 2018
someone said fifa banned drums in the stadium but just now after lingaard scored they showed an english guy rejoicing by beating a drum on tv right now

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:38pm On Jun 24, 2018
Mickael2:

can you trust our defenders and strikers and midfielders to be as disciplined as they were?

Much more than, afterall the same iceland chopped 2 for our hand. Na so their defence strong reach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
isan:
1994 squad will still be regarded as the best

That has nothing to do with these set of players becoming legends on Tuesday night.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2018
LieDetector:
My line up to take us to the next round

Uzoho

Balogun Ekong Omeruo

Moses Mikel Etebo Ndidi Ebuehi

Iwobi Musa

When you said your line up I thought you were presenting something new or different from our last game's line up

(1) (2) (3) ... (4274) (4275) (4276) (4277) (4278) (4279) (4280) ... (16371) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Suzzytee05(f), Kog45(m), Stillwater10, felixchip(m), DrYa, humility33(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.