Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,047 members, 7,866,951 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4478) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11966212 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4475) (4476) (4477) (4478) (4479) (4480) (4481) ... (16378) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2018
elyte89:
Peeps...let's hold sir chriskels and tbaba1234 for false alarm if no Nigerian international fails to make any move dere cool

Lol no be me raise alarm ooo, na tbaba1234, all I did was to remind him that he promised us a big news concerning the move. Dude doesnt wanna disclose the ID of the said player, hence, keeping us all in suspense
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:52pm On Aug 01, 2018
Seems Cameroun has been striped off the AFCON 2019 hosting rights
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2018
Super Eagles World Cup 2018 squad member Joel Obi is edging closer to a move to Spanish LaLiga side Celta Vigo as talks have progressed nicely the past few days, Owngoalnigeria.com understands.

Obi is deemed surplus to requirements at Torino by new coach Walter Mazzari despite playing 22 league games last season and also finding the back of the net five times from his deep lying midfield role.

Fellow Serie A side Parma stepped up their pursuit of the 27 year old but Celta who have long signify their intention to add the Nigerian to their squad held productive meeting with Torino over his transfer.

Celta Vigo intensified their push to sign the former Inter-Milan midfielder as they are warming up for the potential exit of their Slovakian midfielder Stanislav Lobotka, who is close to agreeing a move to Napoli.

On his part, Joel Obi is keen on a new adventure in a different environment after spending the entirety of his career so far in Italy, where he has turned out for Inter-Milan, Parma, and Torino, where he has been the past three seasons.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:12pm On Aug 01, 2018
ChrisKels:
Seems Cameroun has been striped off the AFCON 2019 hosting rights

Nigeria or Morocco to replace them as host.

I raised eye-brows when the number of participating teams was raised to 24. Does Cameroon have the facilities to host a 24 team competition, with 6 venues?

Can Nigeria even pull that off considering the short time we have left? Cos I can only count the Uyo and Abuja stadiums and maybe the Adokiye stadium in PH. Which other 3 can be ready in the next couple of months when CAF will come inspecting. Mind you the AFCON is not played on artificial turf.

Morocco are in Poles positions if you ask me.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:17pm On Aug 01, 2018
Save Your Money: Why Watford Don’t Need to Spend Big on a Richarlison Replacement

Castaway loanee Isaac Success has found himself back in contention of a spot in the starting line-up this coming season, having featured in all Watford’s preseason friendlies so far, to the delight of the Watford fans.

Question marks over his fitness and commitment to the club in recent seasons has seen Success play just 19 times for the Hornets since signing for the club in 2016, and being sent on loan to ​La Liga side Malaga.

Following his return, Success has been putting in the graft in the off season and looks set to finally get his chance to prove himself in the Premier League.

Much like Richarlison, the 22-year-old provides pace and trickery down the wing, and is certainly not afraid to take any player on, and could be a not so secret weapon for Gracia this season, if given the chance to shine.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6126419-save-your-money-why-watford-don-t-need-to-spend-big-on-a-richarlison-replacement

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:22pm On Aug 01, 2018
my boy is back grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
BascoVanVeli:
Save Your Money: Why Watford Don’t Need to Spend Big on a Richarlison Replacement

Castaway loanee Isaac Success has found himself back in contention of a spot in the starting line-up this coming season, having featured in all Watford’s preseason friendlies so far, to the delight of the Watford fans.

Question marks over his fitness and commitment to the club in recent seasons has seen Success play just 19 times for the Hornets since signing for the club in 2016, and being sent on loan to ​La Liga side Malaga.

Following his return, Success has been putting in the graft in the off season and looks set to finally get his chance to prove himself in the Premier League.

Much like Richarlison, the 22-year-old provides pace and trickery down the wing, and is certainly not afraid to take any player on, and could be a not so secret weapon for Gracia this season, if given the chance to shine.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6126419-save-your-money-why-watford-don-t-need-to-spend-big-on-a-richarlison-replacement

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2018
OGN and "where he has.. where he has" repetition. Poor writer.
charlesemeka85:
Super Eagles World Cup 2018 squad member Joel Obi is edging closer to a move to Spanish LaLiga side Celta Vigo as talks have progressed nicely the past few days, Owngoalnigeria.com understands.

Obi is deemed surplus to requirements at Torino by new coach Walter Mazzari despite playing 22 league games last season and also finding the back of the net five times from his deep lying midfield role.

Fellow Serie A side Parma stepped up their pursuit of the 27 year old but Celta who have long signify their intention to add the Nigerian to their squad held productive meeting with Torino over his transfer.

Celta Vigo intensified their push to sign the former Inter-Milan midfielder as they are warming up for the potential exit of their Slovakian midfielder Stanislav Lobotka, who is close to agreeing a move to Napoli.

On his part, Joel Obi is keen on a new adventure in a different environment after spending the entirety of his career so far in Italy, where he has turned out for Inter-Milan, Parma, and Torino, where he has been the past three seasons.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 01, 2018
Icon4s:

Nigeria or Morocco to replace them as host.

I raised eye-brows when the number of participating teams was raised to 24. Does Cameroon have the facilities to host a 24 team competition, with 6 venues?

Can Nigeria even pull that off considering the short time we have left? Cos I can only count the Uyo and Abuja stadiums and maybe the Adokiye stadium in PH. Which other 3 can be ready in the next couple of months when CAF will come inspecting. Mind you the AFCON is not played on artificial turf.

Morocco are in Poles positions if you ask me.
we can do it perfectly with the right people and plan.
Akwa ibom stadium is already ready.

Abuja national stadium is also okay(just small regressing)

Adokiye is ready with little last touch.

Ahmadu Bello stadium has 30+ capacity. Just needs little touch and roofing(optional in the game of football).

We also have the national stadium Lagos which can be renovated at a light speed with the right people (by the way Tottenham new stadium was built in less than a year.)

We also have the new Stephen keshi stadium which can also be expanded..

Why I think it might not work for us is because 2019 is also an election year which might hinder many circumstances on it..
Baring that, we re the giant of Africa and I believe we can host it fluently.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2018
krattoss:

Ahmadu Bello stadium has 30+ capacity. Just needs little touch and roofing(optional in the game of football).

We also have the national stadium Lagos which can be renovated at a light speed with the right people (by the way Tottenham new stadium was built in less than a year.)

Why I think it might not work for us is because 2019 is also an election year which might hinder many circumstances on it..

Oga, 1999 or 2009 standard is not 2019 standard.

That Ahmadu Bello stadium is not fit to host an AFCON game in this present age and time, no matter how you try to renovate it. Worst still the AFCON is just 10 months away

And did you say the national stadium Lagos? Better that the federal government builds a completely new stadium than attempting to renovate that coliseum of a stadium.

That New Stephen Keshi stadium is not AFCON standard in anyway. Rather than to present that as an AFCON venue and embarrassing ourselves in the face of Africa and the world at large we should not even border presenting it.

You can see that only 3 stadium can be ready with little touches before June next year.

Lets allow Morocco host so we can enjoy AFCON in nice venues abeg.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 01, 2018
We should not even consider hosting AFCON 2019. With the exception of Akwa Ibom and Abuja, the rest of our stadiums look like shit. Just look at the world cup in Russia. Nothing in our country even toes the line of the level of quality of those facilities. We should host AFCON when we have enough time to build stadia and world class facilities. Hosting it right now with 3rd world looking stadia like Ahmadu Bello and the crumbling Adokiye in PH would embarass us on the world stage. People would laugh at us. It would be a horrible AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:41pm On Aug 01, 2018
Icon4s:

Oga, 1999 or 2009 standard is not 2019 standard.

That Ahmadu Bello stadium is not fit to host an AFCON game in this present age and time, no matter how you try to renovate it. Worst still the AFCON is just 10 months away

And did you say the national stadium Lagos? Better that the federal government builds a completely new stadium than attempting to renovate that coliseum of a stadium.

That New Stephen Keshi stadium is not AFCON standard in anyway. Rather than to present that as an AFCON venue and embarrassing ourselves in the face of Africa and the world at large we should not even border presenting it.

You can see that only 3 stadium can be ready with little touches before June next year.

Lets allow Morocco host so we can enjoy AFCON in nice venues abeg.

Nigerian aint fit to host any major tourney. They should take it to Morocco, they did well with the CHAN, otherwise, take it to Eastern Africa for either of Ethioppia or Kenya. But if it must go South, give it to Rwanda or Angola
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2018
ChrisKels:

Nigerian aint fit to host any major tourney. They should take it to Morocco, they did well with the CHAN, otherwise, take it to Eastern Africa for either of Ethioppia or Kenya. But if it must go South, give it to Rwanda or Angola

East Africa ke? Kenya that has repeatedly been stripped of hosting rights.

Rwanda and Angola, I don't think they have the capacity to present 6 standard venues to host the AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2018
Who else is concerned with our lack of Centre backs in quality leagues/teams in Europe?

Bar Awaziem and Balogun, we dont really have Centre backs in top teams and leagues in Europe compared to other major African teams.

Ivory coast for instance, has Jean Gbamin, joris Gnagnon, Eric Baily etc

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:55pm On Aug 01, 2018
krattoss:

New Jos Stadium is 44,000 capacity and it was just opened last year or thereabout.

Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium is also a new stadium and it is 38,000 in capacity. It was opened recently.

Muhammadu Dikko Stadium, Kastina capacity is 35,000 and it was just opened a year before Akapio's stadium. That's in 2013.

Jalingo city stadium is also a beautiful stadium and it is 30,000 capacity.

No excuse
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:55pm On Aug 01, 2018
ChrisKels:
Who else is concerned with our lack of Centre backs in quality leagues/teams in Europe?

Bar Awaziem and Balogun, we dont really have Centre backs in top teams and leagues in Europe compared to other major African teams.

Ivory coast for instance, has Jean Gbamin, joris Gnagnon, Eric Baily etc

See, for me, our major problem is not the CB it is our attack. Nigeria would have made second round if we had a better attacking force.

We do not have a recognized striker at present that should be our major concern.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:58pm On Aug 01, 2018
Bolowolowo:
We should not even consider hosting AFCON 2019. With the exception of Akwa Ibom and Abuja, the rest of our stadiums look like shit. Just look at the world cup in Russia. Nothing in our country even toes the line of the level of quality of those facilities. We should host AFCON when we have enough time to build stadia and world class facilities. Hosting it right now with 3rd world looking stadia like Ahmadu Bello and the crumbling Adokiye in PH would embarass us on the world stage. People would laugh at us. It would be a horrible AFCON.

Adokiyie is a new stadium. The grass can be improved upon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:06pm On Aug 01, 2018
Icon4s:

See, for me, our major problem is not the CB it is our attack. Nigeria would have made second round if we had a better attacking force.

We do not have a recognized striker at present that should be our major concern.

You are not wrong bro but we should be doing more because we dont really have quality CBs.

About that striking position, the world cup is over, I have got my eyes primarily of Isaac Success, Sadiq Umar and then, Taiwo Awoniyi. I no follow una for Simeon Nwankwo. Kayode to me is just a faster Ighalo, dude can miss targets for Africa just like Odion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 01, 2018
forgiveness:

New Jos Stadium is 44,000 capacity and it was just opened last year or thereabout.

Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium is also a new stadium and it is 38,000 in capacity. It was opened recently.

Muhammadu Dikko Stadium, Kastina capacity is 35,000 and it was just opened a year before Akapio's stadium. That's in 2013.

Jalingo city stadium is also a beautiful stadium and it is 30,000 capacity.

No excuse

Are any of those stadia world class standard. Will they facilitate a great viewing experience for those coming from all over the continent and world? Do they have in stadium vending booths for food, athletic apparel, etc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 01, 2018
forgiveness:

Adokiyie is a new stadium. The grass can be improved upon.

Is it world class standard? How does it look?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:16pm On Aug 01, 2018
Bolowolowo:

Are any of those stadia world class standard. Will they facilitate a great viewing experience for those coming from all over the continent and world? Do they have in stadium vending booths for food, athletic apparel, etc.

If the 3rd world looking stadiums we have could host U17, U20 and AFCON previously, how can these new ones not have better facilities?

Think am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:18pm On Aug 01, 2018
Bolowolowo:

Is it world class standard? How does it look?

Afcon na world class? grin

You need to Google and see those beautiful stadiums.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 01, 2018
forgiveness:

If the 3rd world looking stadiums we have could host U17, U20 and AFCON previously, how can these new ones not have better facilities?

Think am.

I understand. But we are the giants of Africa abeg. I just feel that we gotta step up our game and produce something of quality for continental football competition. We cannot continue to tolerate mediocrity.

On another note, would Jos be safe enough for AFCON? Do you think our counterparts would object to such a venue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2018
Na wa ooo, Cameroon is really behind on construction for the stadia. CAF will have another inspection party on August 4th but they aren't too confident.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2018
Tottenham Hotspur fans were contented with the performance of young Nigerian central defender Timothy Eyoma as the London club beat AC Milan in the International Champions Cup on Wednesday morning.

Eyoma was a surprise inclusion in the starting lineup against the Serie A powerhouse and was unfazed by the more experienced players he faced such as Nikola Kalinic, Patrick Cutrone, Fabio Borini.

The 18-year-old is one of the star players for Tottenham Hotspur's youth teams and is being tipped to make his competitive debut for the North London club sooner rather than later on the back of his performance against the Rossoneri.

Tottenham fans are raving about Eyoma and here are some of the best tweets :

@davspurs : ''Eyoma could be the New Ledley he has speed confidant on the ball to be a gudun if he's not Poached''.

@charlieparrish : ''Shame KWP didn’t quite grasp his big opportunity at RB (imo) & not sure I saw loads from Marsh, but thought Eyoma looked incredibly promising & the Amos ‘n’ Skipp partnership was the standout for me....''.

@adhithya35 : ''Was actually surprised by Eyoma's performance. Looked so composed.''

@Spurs_Passion : ''Think Amos was a bit dodge at times. Skipp was class, Eyoma also stepping up in the CB role with Sanchez was impressive''.

@rillo9 : ''@thenff @NGSuperEagles @PinnickAmaju Another Tottenham Defender to watch out for.. He played great last night.. 18 years Timothy Eyoma....''.

@Spurs_BDA : ''Eyoma & Sanchez were quality tonight, comfortable & cool under pressure for the entirety of the game. I expect big things from Eyoma ''.

@TradingCardTom : ''who needs transfers when we've got skipp, eyoma, walker peters and nkoudou''.

@KaiWilsonTHFC : ''Just saying, Spurs don't play Eyoma: concede 3 goals.... Spurs do play Eyoma: concede 0 Coincidence? I think not.''

@Tonycare316 : ''Great performance ! Special mention to Eyoma! Amos , georgiou and skipp also @gknkoudou well done lads!! #COYS''.

@JackAndreetti : ''Good performance from everyone. Clean sheet was impressed with Eyoma....''.

@LiI_mil : ''Eyoma has been decent, seems to be much more comfortable than the likes of CCV and Foyth imo''.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:56pm On Aug 01, 2018
Leon is bi-racial. Someone who don't know them will be able to spot that.

Seunvense:
This picture got me thinking... Destiny!!!
The white man in the picture actually plays for a black country while the black man played for a white country contrary to what someone who doesn't know them will think.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2018
Hahaha NFF sabi push komekn buttons
komekn:

Which club side does he play for

So because he is in the USA team hie is good enough
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:13pm On Aug 01, 2018
Giant of Africa my Yansh..
krattoss:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:20pm On Aug 01, 2018
ChrisKels:

You are not wrong bro but we should be doing more because we dont really have quality CBs.

About that striking position, the world cup is over, I have got my eyes primarily of Isaac Success, Sadiq Umar and then, Taiwo Awoniyi. I no follow una for Simeon Nwankwo. Kayode to me is just a faster Ighalo, dude can miss targets for Africa just like Odion.

I still feel we should give Simeon Nwankwo a couple of games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:26pm On Aug 01, 2018
Bolowolowo:

I understand. But we are the giants of Africa abeg. I just feel that we gotta step up our game and produce something of quality for continental football competition. We cannot continue to tolerate mediocrity.

On another note, would Jos be safe enough for AFCON? Do you think our counterparts would object to such a venue.

That Jos stadium has an artificial pitch. It cannot host the AFCON. So goes for the Kakanda in Katsina and a couple of others.

We goofed big time by chosing to make those stadiums have artificial turfs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 01, 2018
Joebie:
Giant of Africa my Yansh..
believe it or not.
When Nigeria sneezes, Africa catches cold

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:35pm On Aug 01, 2018
Oh please, we are NOT ready to host any tournaments right now. The Adokiye stadium you claim that it only needs "little last touch", isn't it that stadium that hosted Nigeria vs DR Congo friendly game? Bros, that pitch is far from being ready!

And that makes me wonder the state of the other stadia you listed as need a little touch grin
Please, I think we should pass on this one. Let either Morocco and South Africa bail Cameroun out.

O pari

krattoss:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
Icon79:
Oh please, we are NOT ready to host any tournaments right now. The Adokiye stadium you claim that it only needs "little last touch", isn't it that stadium that hosted Nigeria vs DR Congo friendly game? Bros, that pitch is far from being ready!

And that makes me wonder the state of the other stadia you listed as need a little touch grin
Please, I think we should pass on this one. Let either Morocco and South Africa bail Cameroun out.

O pari

I believe if we re giving the funds and with capable hands, those minor ishs will be fixed in earnest.
BTW, are u watching the athletes championship in delta at the Steven keshi stadium?
That stadium is okay for afcon hosting jhoor angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (4475) (4476) (4477) (4478) (4479) (4480) (4481) ... (16378) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lelion, semid4lyfe(m), TradingGod and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.