Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,935 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4694) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11660063 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4691) (4692) (4693) (4694) (4695) (4696) (4697) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:59pm On Sep 10, 2018
DrLikita12:
Lobi Stars, Heartland and MFM eliminated from the Aiteo Cup by NNL sides.
Shooting Stars also eliminated
Bendel Insurance eliminated by Remo Stars Feeder team.

O yes clear the way grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:00pm On Sep 10, 2018
do4luv14:
Rirstly i dont disturb your/anybody peace here. And finally neither are you a GWG fan material

says an Ighalo fan....
for you being an Ighalo fan says it all...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked is this for real?
ChrisKels:
I must say vicMoses left at the right time grin grin

British-born Everton youngster Lookman dumps England to commit to Super Eagles of Nigeria

pulse.ng

Sep 10, 2018 1:00 PM

Lookman was born in England to Nigerian parents and is currently eligible to play for Nigeria.

British-born Everton youngsterAdemola Lookman has made the decision to dump England and commit his international allegiance to theSuper Eagles of Nigeria.

Lookman was born in England to Nigerian parents and is currently eligible to play for Nigeria.

The Everton forward has represented England in the youth levels and scored three goals to help them win the FIFA U20 World Cup title in 2017.

Ademola Lookman has represented England at the youth levels and won the 2017 U20 World Cup  (AFP/Getty Images)

According to a source close to Lookman, the 20-year-old is set to announce his decision to switch his allegiance to Nigeria.

This is after he turned down the opportunity to switch his allegiance to Nigeria after a meeting with the Amaju Pinnick who is the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) earlier in 2018.

Although it not known what changed his stance, Pulse Sports source revealed the 20-year-old has made up his mind to play for Nigeria.

“An announcement will be made soon, I’m close to his management and they have confirmed that he has made the decision,” thePulse Sports source said.

Lookman started his career at Charltonbefore the big move to Everton in 2017. He spent the second half of the 2017/2018 season at Bundesliga side RB Leipzig.

Ademola Lookman spent the second part of 2017/2-18 season in German with RB Leipzig  (Static Independent)

Armed with pace, dribbling abilities and a good use of both feet, Lookman usually plays as a wide man from both the right and left wing and can also play centrally.

He made five appearances for the England U19s, i5 for the U20s and seven for the U21.

The NFF in recent years have intensified their effort to convince players of Nigerian descent born abroad to commit their international future to the Super Eagles.

Lookman is following the likes of Alex Iwobi switched their allegiance to Nigeria after playing at the youth levels for England.

Players like Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu have been some of the success stories while Chelsea strikerTammy Abraham rejected the chance to represent Nigeria to play for England after meeting with Pinnick.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
ChrisKels:

British-born Everton youngster Lookman dumps England to commit to Super Eagles of Nigeria

pulse.ng

British-born Everton youngsterAdemola Lookman has made the decision to dump England and commit his international allegiance to theSuper Eagles of Nigeria.

The Everton forward has represented England in the youth levels and scored three goals to help them win the FIFA U20 World Cup title in 2017.

Ademola Lookman has represented England at the youth levels and won the 2017 U20 World Cup  (AFP/Getty Images)

According to a source close to Lookman, the 20-year-old is set to announce his decision to switch his allegiance to Nigeria.

This is after he turned down the opportunity to switch his allegiance to Nigeria after a meeting with the Amaju Pinnick who is the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) earlier in 2018.

Although it not known what changed his stance, Pulse Sports source revealed the 20-year-old has made up his mind to play for Nigeria.

“An announcement will be made soon, I’m close to his management and they have confirmed that he has made the decision,” thePulse Sports source said.

Lookman started his career at Charltonbefore the big move to Everton in 2017. He spent the second half of the 2017/2018 season at Bundesliga side RB Leipzig.

Ademola Lookman spent the second part of 2017/2-18 season in German with RB Leipzig  (Static Independent)

Armed with pace, dribbling abilities and a good use of both feet, Lookman usually plays as a wide man from both the right and left wing and can also play centrally.

He made five appearances for the England U19s, i5 for the U20s and seven for the U21.

The NFF in recent years have intensified their effort to convince players of Nigerian descent born abroad to commit their international future to the Super Eagles.

Lookman is following the likes of Alex Iwobi switched their allegiance to Nigeria after playing at the youth levels for England.

Players like Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu have been some of the success stories while Chelsea strikerTammy Abraham rejected the chance to represent Nigeria to play for England after meeting with Pinnick.

man probably reasoned that the best he would ever get from England is a shirt in their U21 team and while that may be good enough for some, it's not enough for him

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:04pm On Sep 10, 2018
SlayerForever:

That is actually a friendly,Sir.

It is no friendly.

It is a New Competition called the UEFA Nations league. No more meaningless friendlies for the Europeans. Every game counts in that competition. It will be used for FIFA rankings and more importantly as qualifiers for Euro2020.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:05pm On Sep 10, 2018
Am now an ighalo fans right?. Ok whose fan are you?

Humility017:
says an Ighalo fan.... for you being an Ighalo fan says it all...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2018
Samuel Kalu and Onyekuru has made me non-chalant about Ademola Lookman

He can switch to wherever he wants undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2018
Earthquake1:

Ghana could use one of him by now grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 9:08pm On Sep 10, 2018
Icon4s:

It is no friendly.

It is a New Competition called the UEFA Nations league. No more meaningless friendlies for the Europeans. Every game counts in that competition. It will be used for FIFA rankings and more importantly as qualifiers for Euro2020.

Europe never ceases to amaze me

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
ChrisKels:

pulse.ng

Better for him.

Let the process of nationality switch begin immediately.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
When will you made a comment withour one of your signature grammar? "EMOTIVE"

komekn:

Agreed without reservation.

But you must understand that fans cam be very fickle, emotive and fanatical that's why they are called fans.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
do4luv14:
Hmmm akowe misitta engrish tisha. Abeg go andrew room go shakee ur table oooocheesy cheesy

Fear no go gree am nah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
Icon4s:

It is no friendly.

You have a point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
but the guy Bleep up. if he switched on time the bobo for done get world cup experience now. i am expecting any of the german boys to join soon lol
safarigirl:
man probably reasoned that the best he would ever get from England is a shirt in their U21 team and while that may be good enough for some, it's not enough for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2018
Earthquake1:

Lookman is welcome. Let us finally convert Musa to a striker.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2018
Icon4s:

See me o. What is the essence of having a striker that cannot score goals?

3 competitive goals out of which 2 are from penalty spot. And some see nothing wrong in this?

In all my years of followership of the national team we have never had it this bad in the striking position. Thank God for players like Ahmed Musa, Alex Iwobi and Victor Moses who are not even natural strikers.

Even Iheanacho too has been disappointing.

I don't even want to go way back as the 80s and 90s. Let me mention a generation that almost everyone here can identify with: in the 2000s there was a time we had strikers like: Yakubu, Martins, Ike Uche, Osaze, Utaka, and Nsofor all in one squad. We were so rich in that department that we played Utaka, Nsofor and Osaze mostly from the Wings while Yakubu, Martins and Uche justle for the CF position.

Emmanuel Emenike was our last striker. Since after he dipped in his own form we have never had a number 9 again. Keshi brought in Gbolahan Salami and Aaron Samuel, 2 power strikers but where those ones day today?

Oliseh brought in Ighalo and brought back Ideye. Na just hold up play them say dem just wan do. Dem no dey fit test keeper.

It is better we just be playing with false 9s until a natural number 9 emerges.

My point exactly. You just hit the nail on the head.

It pays us more when on natural striker (Ighalo) is unnatural
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:12pm On Sep 10, 2018
SlayerForever:

You have a point.
Not just a point.
That is the point. Hahaha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2018
do4luv14:
When will you made a comment withour one of your signature grammar? "EMOTIVE"

grin

You can look for trouble ehn.

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 9:14pm On Sep 10, 2018
Icon4s:

It is no friendly.

Sir actually that was a friendly indeed. most of the groups have 3 teams so since they v 2 match days per international break some of them could actually afford friendlies
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:16pm On Sep 10, 2018
ChrisKels:

Bro, Idowu weak me. It really hit me hard because I was almost sold on that guy after his cameo appearance against Argentina pre world cup. Honestly, cameos are like mini skirts, they dont reveal the whole assets.

Hahhahahaha. grin grin grin grin grin

But why na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 9:16pm On Sep 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Lookman is welcome. Let us finally convert Musa to a striker.

Rohr's conversative nature won't let him use Musa as a striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:17pm On Sep 10, 2018
Icon4s:

It is no friendly.

U mean the UNL is a competitive league recognized by FIFA? does it mean that any dual citizen that gets capped during the course of this league, has been captied also? No more friendlies I Europe? Now that also blocks them from playing friendlies with other nations outside the UEFA then. I am not understanding oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:18pm On Sep 10, 2018
ChrisKels:

I no wan join dis yeye purely academic argument but I gotta address the bolded. Did u know that those three goals came in three years, one was in 2016, the second came last year 2017 now the third 2018. Statistically, dude scores once in a year for the super eagles in as many matches grin grin

It is quite funny defending this guy

It really is.

I mean, we have been patient for too long.

The no 9 position of the SE is no sinecure. Its not for goal shy, pregnant men

Its for deadly finishers with crafty positioning

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:20pm On Sep 10, 2018
Danycrusoe:

Sir actually that was a friendly indeed. most of the groups have 3 teams so since they v 2 match days per international break some of them could actually afford friendlies

OK. Russia, Sweden and Turkey are in same group.

Meaning the Russia Vs Czech game was an international friendly. Thanks for the correction.

But that doesn't take away the fact that Russia have continued to impress post WC.

cc: Slayerforever.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
safarigirl:
more than Ighalo grin

Okay, e don do abeg.

Make una no use laugh kill me. lmfao
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
Mickael2:

If I remember correctly you are the advocate of 'manage what we have'. I believe you have at least rudimentary experience in coaching and I am sure you know that 99% of coaches have a standard formation which they always fall back on especially when the national team is involved. Moreover you do know that virtually no successful national team plays with a false 9? The training you have to undergo to field a false 9 is impossible to achieve in a short while,I remember when we tried it in our medical games and the movement of our 'false 9' confused even the CBs and we had 4 weeks to train with a proper coach and the dude was talented.

So first off, who is currently the striker who can precisely fit into a 4-2-3-1 which is virtually what we play nevermind the 4-3-3 you see? Don't say we can switch to a 3-5-2 because you know that is just a backup and the coach draws his list with preference to players that can execute that 4-2-3-1 formation, so please point out another player that can function there. Musa isn't exactly the type of player that can function maximally without the ball, you can see that most of his goals from 2014 are all as a result of playing the ball to his feet in space, do you have space as a single striker against 2 rough African CBs? Please do not even mention Iheanacho. Back in those days we had coaches who were actually tacticians, you can see Keshi switching tactics to play Ameobi as a CF today and then Martins next week, right now all we have is a German stiff-neck who arranges his team in the same 4-2-3-1 formation everyday then goes to sleep on the sideline, even if Rohr was appointed in the 2000s he still would have phased out Uche and other small out and out strikers then who could not play without the ball.

Then who exactly can operate as our false 9? Again don't mention Iheanacho it has already failed before, ok maybe Musa, but he is not creative enough for that role at all, who else? Even if we crack that part, a false 9 formation only works well with CFs disgusied as wingers, when Messi was playing as a false 9 he had Henry and Villa at the wings, original CFs, so which of our CFs now can play the the Villa/Henry role well? Will our false 9s be effective enough to create chances for the CFs? There is a reason why Chelsea's false 9 approach with Hazard as the false 9 and Willian(another conventional winger) as one of the supposed CFs who should benefit from the pockets of space left by the false 9. So saying get rid of Ighalo without a proper replacement is going to trigger a chain of events that currently we cannot afford. So until we get rid of that imposter parading as a coach and hire an actual tactician who can use our players well enough just get used to Ighalo or Ighalo type strikers
Hope you had it in mind that the false 9 is different from a non striker playing 9. I felt chief meant the latter. Any of our forward would do better than Ighalo. As for hiring a tactician, you can apply.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
Earthquake1:

Dont say that again bro. We need them all mbok

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:23pm On Sep 10, 2018
Mickael2:

If I remember correctly you are the advocate of 'manage what we have'. I believe you have at least rudimentary experience in coaching and I am sure you know that 99% of coaches have a standard formation which they always fall back on especially when the national team is involved. Moreover you do know that virtually no successful national team plays with a false 9? The training you have to undergo to field a false 9 is impossible to achieve in a short while,I remember when we tried it in our medical games and the movement of our 'false 9' confused even the CBs and we had 4 weeks to train with a proper coach and the dude was talented.

So first off, who is currently the striker who can precisely fit into a 4-2-3-1 which is virtually what we play nevermind the 4-3-3 you see? Don't say we can switch to a 3-5-2 because you know that is just a backup and the coach draws his list with preference to players that can execute that 4-2-3-1 formation, so please point out another player that can function there. Musa isn't exactly the type of player that can function maximally without the ball, you can see that most of his goals from 2014 are all as a result of playing the ball to his feet in space, do you have space as a single striker against 2 rough African CBs? Please do not even mention Iheanacho. Back in those days we had coaches who were actually tacticians, you can see Keshi switching tactics to play Ameobi as a CF today and then Martins next week, right now all we have is a German stiff-neck who arranges his team in the same 4-2-3-1 formation everyday then goes to sleep on the sideline, even if Rohr was appointed in the 2000s he still would have phased out Uche and other small out and out strikers then who could not play without the ball.

Then who exactly can operate as our false 9? Again don't mention Iheanacho it has already failed before, ok maybe Musa, but he is not creative enough for that role at all, who else? Even if we crack that part, a false 9 formation only works well with CFs disgusied as wingers, when Messi was playing as a false 9 he had Henry and Villa at the wings, original CFs, so which of our CFs now can play the the Villa/Henry role well? Will our false 9s be effective enough to create chances for the CFs? There is a reason why Chelsea's false 9 approach with Hazard as the false 9 and Willian(another conventional winger) as one of the supposed CFs who should benefit from the pockets of space left by the false 9. So saying get rid of Ighalo without a proper replacement is going to trigger a chain of events that currently we cannot afford. So until we get rid of that imposter parading as a coach and hire an actual tactician who can use our players well enough just get used to Ighalo or Ighalo type strikers

Bros, I'm so convinced that anybody is better than ighalo right now IMO.

That's how poorly that dude has turned out for the SE so far.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2018
ChrisKels:

With this, it obvious you know nothing about competition and soccer in general. Ever heard of squad dept? What do u even know about Ademola's style of play?

Bros, I think the dude was just bantering albeit in exaggeration.

I don't think he really meant it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
na so them dey talk sometimes wey dey make me wonder is they are real super eagles fans. ademola's inclusion to the team will bring competition to the flanks and more quality. the ademola i saw last season in the colors of leipzig is better than samuel kalu

ChrisKels:

Dont say that again bro. We need them all mbok

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2018
ChrisKels:

U mean the UNL is a competitive league recognized by FIFA? does it mean that any dual citizen that gets capped during the course of this league, has been captied also? No more friendlies I Europe? Now that also blocks them from playing friendlies with other nations outside the UEFA then. I am not understanding oo

Firstly, there are 3 teams in a group. These groupings were done based on UEFA indices. In a group, only 2 teams can play at a time and so the 3rd team can play a friendly outside the UNL schedule.

The league also serves as qualifiers for the European championships. Meaning players that feature get full international debut.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2018
Certitude:

Hope you had it in mind that the false 9 is different from a non striker playing 9. I felt chief meant the latter. Any of our forward would do better than Ighalo. As for hiring a tactician, you can apply.

My idea of a false 9 is a striker who drops deep, collects the ball and makes something happen with it. Now dropping deep means you will get crowded out, can you trust any of our present players to beat their man in a tight space?? Neither Iheanacho nor Musa can do that, Iwobi can but does he have the other attributes of a false 9?? I dont think so.

If however there is another style of false 9 then I am willing to learn.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4691) (4692) (4693) (4694) (4695) (4696) (4697) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jieta, kentebemoney, Christology(m), superbloke(m), elyte89, Marjoribanks, Odunayaw(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.