Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4696) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11636653 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4693) (4694) (4695) (4696) (4697) (4698) (4699) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:16am On Sep 11, 2018
Oasis007:

Someone is claiming Lookman wanna use SE to break to the Everton starting XI cos Onyenkuru is more rated?!

Well I have nothing more to add, cos it's apparent you did reason like him.

Excuse me Mr Man, what is the meaning of all these now?

If you want to attack him for the comment he made why not face him? Why are you bringing me into this? Am I the owner of that moniker?

Well, I don't have time for this your antics this morning.

Just leave me in Peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 6:21am On Sep 11, 2018
Oasis007:

Someone is claiming Lookman wanna use SE to break to the Everton starting XI cos Onyenkuru is more rated by the same Club?!

See why I say you are Forgiveness?

You want to use your other moniker to rope chief into what you a bigot perceives as bigotry.
Na you know wetin Chief do you sef.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 6:23am On Sep 11, 2018
Oasis007:

grin
Bravo!
Mr. Detective....... You definitely gonna make a good Agent for the DSS. LMAO!
Good Job for spotting out who actually the Moniker belongs to.
Perhaps I am Komekn too?!
Good Job Bruh...... Keep it up!

This is Forgiveness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Vicandvic2015: 6:28am On Sep 11, 2018
Please what time is Liberia vs Nigeria friendly and which station will show it live
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Saheed69(m): 6:50am On Sep 11, 2018
Petrobros:

This is Forgiveness.

No, they are two different person. He is a Manchester United fans while Forgiveness support Chelsea.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:55am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

All 3 of Iwobi, Iheanacho and Musa can function as false 9. I can now also add Onyekuru.

They can drop deep and beat their man in tight space. Besides, spaces are not tight all the time, forwards should not always aim at tight space they or other players can create the space for them to operate.

When you play as a false 9 that means you have to drop into the hole originally occupied by the opposing team's DMF there is absolutely no space around that area. First of all Musa CANNOT function as a false 9, from his style of play you can see that. How will Iheanacho who can hardly beat his man function as a false 9? If you play Iheanacho as a false 9 then he will continue drifting backwards until he starts playing as a 10 all over again and the function becomes null. Do not make me laugh, Onyekuru as a false 9? There is a big difference between beating your man all ends up around the touchline and actually having to drift through 2-3 players in the middle of the field. If you think Onyekuru can function maximally in a tight space then you really need to start watching him more often.

Like I said only Iwobi comes close to that role but his finishing abilities is a great negative for him presently.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:03am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

A good post and good questions.

Now see, If I want to play a lone striker, how would I continue to hope on an unproductive striker like Ighalo when I have an option of Simmy Nwankwo on the bench?

How many times do I want to play Ighalo to confirm that he is not prolific in front of goal? Throw in Simmy and let's see. After all this is Seychelles.

Now talking about the false 9. Not as if the team is completely alien to it. We played with it in some of the games leading to the WC and some WC games. And it proved to be our most attack threatening option.

Yes, Ahmed Musa may not function optimally as a CF but he has proven himself in the false 9 position.

Ighalo's positioning is terrible.
I understand if we say "yes he is bad but available options are few". Not that we should be defending him claiming he does hold up play. Ighalo's goals return is terrible. Ighalo does not pose any threat upftont. He does not test any goalkeeper.

The only time I ever advocated for Ighalo because of his holdup play was against Cameron way back then and it worked. Simy Nwankwo has how many goals in the Serie A this season? There is no way any coach would start him over a red-hot Ighalo, that is one of the laws of nature. If we have Simy averaging like 10-15 goals per season then we can call his name but he isn't, and that's the reason. It is currently clear that we are short of options in that department presently.

Quick question, based on your definition of a false 9, what did Musa play against Iceland? A false 9?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:04am On Sep 11, 2018
Mickael2:

When you play as a false 9 that means you have to drop into the hole originally occupied by the opposing team's DMF there is absolutely no space around that area. First of all Musa CANNOT function as a false 9, from his style of play you can see that. How will Iheanacho who can hardly beat his man function as a false 9? If you play Iheanacho as a false 9 then he will continue drifting backwards until he starts playing as a 10 all over again and the function becomes null. Do not make me laugh, Onyekuru as a false 9? There is a big difference between beating your man all ends up around the touchline and actually having to drift through 2-3 players in the middle of the field. If you think Onyekuru can function maximally in a tight space then you really need to start watching him more often.

Like I said only Iwobi comes close to that role but his finishing abilities is a great negative for him presently.

Chairman, all those 4 players I listed can play as false 9. A false 9 may not only occupy a space created by the opposing DMF. These things are not automated like you are playing a PS game. A false 9 can also play from wide positions. Note also that a team must not have just one player as a false 9.

Ahmed Musa cannot play as a false 9 yet he put 2 pass Iceland as a false 9.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 7:05am On Sep 11, 2018
daveP:
Lol Ighalo Don suffer. 3goals in 3years. Chai.

Atiku wept!!!!
him own better sef Ryan babel has eight goals for Holland since 2005
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:06am On Sep 11, 2018
Hahahahaha a fake plastic fans pretending to be a true one.
Give me one reason y we alway flatter to decieve. Even when we were expected to make an easy work of a suitation. And if he had took in. Y not take him to d labour room. Since you are d one who put him thru8-)

Humility017:

you've always been an Ighalo fan supporting the pregnant striker in every mention.

I am a super eagles fan..
reason why I get pissed seeing that striker who has refused to repent from missing empty nets and sitters....

dude positioning zero
finishing zero....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:08am On Sep 11, 2018
Mickael2:

The only time I ever advocated for Ighalo because of his holdup play was against Cameron way back then and it worked. Simy Nwankwo has how many goals in the Serie A this season? There is no way any coach would start him over a red-hot Ighalo, that is one of the laws of nature. If we have Simy averaging like 10-15 goals per season then we can call his name but he isn't, and that's the reason. It is currently clear that we are short of options in that department presently.

Quick question, based on your definition of a false 9, what did Musa play against Iceland? A false 9?

Who is red Hot? Ighalo?

Ighalo has proven to be grossly incompetent in the GWG, I would take the chance of seeing what Simmy can offer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:11am On Sep 11, 2018
Pinnick has been appointed by FIFA to head Ghana FA normalization team...same pinnick just successfully handled Liberia FA election..

pinnick is really a man Nigeria should be proud of.
competence is just something you can't hide.
I see him going places....

#kudos to pinnick.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:12am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

Chairman, all those 4 players I listed can play as false 9. A false 9 may not only occupy a space created by the opposing DMF. These things are not automated like you are playing a PS game. A false 9 can also play from wide positions. Note also that a team must not have just one player as a false 9.

Ahmed Musa cannot play as a false 9 yet he put 2 pass Iceland as a false 9.

Musa's game against Iceland was not from a false 9 position. That is not what a false 9 is, that is just a perfect example of a fluid 3-5-2 turning into a 3-4-3 because Moses was joining the attack. That was not a false 9 play at all, Musa was almost always on the wing and from that you can see that he was in now way a false 9. Let's just say he was a mobile forward drifting to the wings but calling him a false 9 in that role is a NO NO

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:12am On Sep 11, 2018
do4luv14:
Hahahahaha a fake plastic fans pretending to be a true one.
Give me one reason y we alway flatter to decieve. Even when we were expected to make an easy work of a suitation. And if he had took in. Y not take him to d labour room. Since you are d one who put him thru8-)

bro abeg.... you can go with your Ighalo oooo.
good morning...hope you slept well?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:16am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

Who is red Hot? Ighalo?

Ighalo has proven to be grossly incompetent in the GWG, I would take the chance of seeing what Simmy can offer.

Is he not currently the highest goalscorer in China??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TEGADR: 7:23am On Sep 11, 2018
so none of us know the time for the Liberian match?.. I can't find it anywhere
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2018
Mickael2:

Musa's game against Iceland was not from a false 9 position. That is not what a false 9 is, that is just a perfect example of a fluid 3-5-2 turning into a 3-4-3 because Moses was joining the attack. That was not a false 9 play at all, Musa was almost always on the wing and from that you can see that he was in now way a false 9. Let's just say he was a mobile forward drifting to the wings but calling him a false 9 in that role is a NO NO

Hahaha. Bros, That 3-5-2 formation against Iceland we deployed 2 false 9 in Iheanacho and Musa. Each of them played the role intermittently.

Many at time peeps here think the midfield is just around the center Circle. The midfield also extends to the flanks.

A false 9 typically falls deep into the midfield and also joins the attack. He is just an attacking midfielder that also runs into CF positions. Now note that an AM must not always play centrally. We can have an AM playing from the sides. Which is more like what Iwobi does in the SE and also under Wenger.

As I said, these things are not automated. It depends on how the coach has set up the team and defined roles for the players. Rohr did not play a recognized CF in that Iceland game. Musa and Iheanacho were used as false 9 interchangeably.

Modified: since you said Musa was always on the wings, in what position was he when he got that pass for that first goal?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:26am On Sep 11, 2018
Mickael2:

Is he not currently the highest goalscorer in China??

China you said?

Red hot in China but repeatedly proven to be Ice cold in the SE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:29am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

Who is red Hot? Ighalo?

I remember watching Ighalo during U 20 WC and i asked myself was Siasia blind.

Really surprised to see him having good season with Watford and honestly apart from Cameroon match both home and away,am not impressed with Ighalo total output in GWG.

But the big question do we have someone to replace him?YES and NO

YES if we can be patient with the young ones like Sadiq Umar,Taiwo Awoniyi may be they can shake the tables but guess what a lot would still raise eyebrows calling this young lads.

Pls can Simy do it?I don't think so cos his goal scoring record not that good.

I think Rohr should change his formation to suit what we have or else we keep on struggling.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:35am On Sep 11, 2018
Joebie:
So this one na announcement before the real announcement? Wetin dey delay the real one na?

I tire ooo. Maybe he wan take do wururu get attention.

Me no dey celebrate... I go...when em never go. Make em announce first mo we see. Nothing to celebrate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:45am On Sep 11, 2018
Kog45:
I remember watching Ighalo during U 20 WC and i asked myself was Siasia blind.

Really surprised to see him having good season with Watford and honestly apart from Cameroon match both home and away,am not impressed with Ighalo total output in GWG.

But the big question do we have someone to replace him?YES and NO

YES if we can be patient with the young ones like Sadiq Umar,Taiwo Awoniyi may be they can shake the tables but guess what a lot would still raise eyebrows calling this young lads.

Pls can Simy do it?I don't think so cos his goal scoring record not that good.

I think Rohr should change his formation to suit what we have or else we keep on struggling.

Let me state that we are very much aware that we are lacking quality CFs right now. We know options are few but that will not make us to keep defending the only one we have been trying all these years and has been failing us. I followed Ighalo even before he was called by Siasia at U20. He has always been at best average. That was why when he started scoring for Watford i saw it as a flash in the pan. He was having a form of his life that even him didnt believe.

Then to the question "Can Simmy do it"? My answer is why don't we give him the try? Ighalo has failed in previous matches and will still likely fail in the next match. We saw Simmy's game against DRC even though he didn't score but we saw some flashes of what Ighalo does not have.

And for those players u mentioned: Sadiq and Awoniyi, I am not even seeing them as players who can solve that CF problem because to me they are just average.

Rohr should either change the team setup or convert one of those young wingers to a CF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

Who is red Hot? Ighalo?

oga icon is it the best two that will qualify from the wafu nations cup....for the world cup?
or just the winner of the tourney?
I am getting scared.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:54am On Sep 11, 2018
Ighalo is my boy from the AJ hood, though I never saw him play. do4luv14, did u ever see Ighalo play at the Marakana stadium in Navy Town?

All Marakana products in the SE were always high flyers. The guy is not representing at all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2018
Humility017:

oga icon is it the best two that will qualify from the wafu nations cup....for the world cup?
or just the winner of the tourney?
I am getting scared.

We are in WAFU Zone B. Only the winner of this Zone B will qualify to play in the CAF U17 not even the main U17 WC o.

To me any team that wins that WAFU Zone B is a potential World champion.

If our boys can manage to win this. I pity those Uganda, Tanzania , Angola and co they will be playing. CIV own go better pass their own.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:00am On Sep 11, 2018
Sportilitica:

Thank you. Ighalo is not the best striker at the moment but the way people speak ill of him is uncalled for. I have never seen him as a point 9 but he does all he can for the team. Funny thing is we really don't have anyone better at the moment. When that person comes up, at least appreciate the person leaving and don't go on bashing him. It is like we are just looking for any excuse to crucify the guy. Look, in some teams, midfielders do the scoring. Football has evolved, let us learn to appreciate our own

If we ask who should striker, you will be surprise at the names given?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:00am On Sep 11, 2018
Icon4s:

We are in WAFU Zone B. Only the winner of this Zone B will qualify to play in the CAF U17 not even the main U17 WC o.

To me any team that wins that WAFU Zone B is a potential World champion.

If our boys can manage to win this. I pity those Uganda, Tanzania , Angola and co they will be playing. CIV own go better pass their own.

thanks for these clarification
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:03am On Sep 11, 2018
andrew444:

Thank you for this

The hate on ighalo is just too much on this thread,that's the reason I see some people as kids who know nothing about football

I am not a fan of ighalo but I don't think he has a bad game on Saturday,for crying out loud he scored one and assisted one,he is no Messi

So many people on this thread focus that day was on ighalo instead of them to enjoy the game they look for any small opportunity to diss on ighalo

People sound as if ighalo is the only bad player at the World Cup

They are some certain players in the super eagles,i will not mention names ,if those players dare to have a bad game you won't see people on this thread diss them because they are fan favorite,if you try to diss them they will attack you,but let ighalo just misplace a pass,he will be insulted immediately

This guy gave an assist and score a goal,what else do they want ?

So many Nigerians are bias.

I saw a certain player fumbled in the last two matches he played but dem never see that one. That's why I don't take some peeps seriously here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:06am On Sep 11, 2018
darkelf:

Haha bro, I beg to differ.

Even Musa that isn't playing a top striker position has scored 3 goals in his last three games for the eagles.

Hmm...hu! Oya! List the strikers you know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:09am On Sep 11, 2018
darkelf:

I apologize on their behalf sis.

That is how they also compared nacho to Mbappe

Some comparisons sha....

Make em advice those people to apologize for comparing Nacho with Mbappe first. Mboko grin

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:11am On Sep 11, 2018
A little word of caution ahead of today's friendly against Liberia. They are not an easy push over and they even drew their last AFCON qualifying game against Congo DR 1-1.

It is going to be a lot tougher than the Seychelles game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 8:19am On Sep 11, 2018
Oasis007:

Chief I expect you to caution the Dude cos I believe you understand the motive behind the Post. Its very unhealthy and ain't gonna be good for this Thread if we continue this Way.

Do you really think anything he says would mean anything or change anything?

What happened to bantering and having fun with theories

You British born/non-British born have some serious lack of humor

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:28am On Sep 11, 2018
Oasis007:

Someone is claiming Lookman wanna use SE to break to the Everton starting XI cos Onyenkuru is more rated by the same Club?!

i saw it as a stupid post, just like I see most of what forgiveness writes at times

You laugh over it, like I tease forgiveness these days, because eventually, there is no point digging deeper into ridiculous assertions.

Where was this your advocacy when forgiveness said the invites of Ajayi and Collins were to cover up for Nwakali's invite?

It's apparent you equally reason like forgiveness, since we want to start giving credence to rubbish undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4693) (4694) (4695) (4696) (4697) (4698) (4699) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Meliforme, lordofstrings, Badbunny and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.