Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,982 members, 7,866,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (472) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11964657 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) ... (16376) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:06am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Players break into the National team even during tourneys. Emmanuel Amunike comes to mind. Talk less of qualifiers. We need the best players in every role. Any system to make sure we are fielding the best is accepted and find by me.

Relying on experience is wearing a blindfold to the truth.

Please highlight how Emmanuel Amuneke comes to mind here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

grin Hope you know the history between Alampasu and Nwokolo?

I do not want history. Come to camp and out perform. If you can not, swerve.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:08am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Please highlight how Emmanuel Amuneke comes to mind here.

Amunike was not an experienced Super Eagles player when Westerhof played him against the Ivorians.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:16am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Amunike was not an experienced Super Eagles player when Westerhof played him against the Ivorians.

Which Ivorians? Amuneke did not play that match.

The only match Amuneke played was the final against Zambia.

Amuneke joined the team in 1993 en-route qualification for that AFCON. You think he jst broke into the Team at that AFCON?

Amuneke played U23 in 1991 and then moved to Zamalek of Egypt. His game level at that time was good enough for the national team. Just like comparing him with Etebo of today.

And pls lets not divert the topic of discuss; it is on goal keepers.
Selection criteria for goal keepers are way different from those of out-field players.

A young talented forward for instance finds it a lot easier to fit into a team than a young talented goal keeper.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:16am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not want history. Come to camp and out perform. If you can not, swerve.

I guess everybody should come to camp then.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NairalandTrendz: 11:22am On Jan 20, 2017
THE MSN QUIZ GAME
If you think you know the MSN then take this quiz to see how much you know about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qe_YRd2i1c
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Amuneke joined the team in 1993 en-route qualification for that AFCON. You think he jst broke into the Team at that AFCON?

Amuneke played U23 in 1991 and then moved to Zamalek of Egypt. His game level at that time was good enough for the national team. Just like comparing him with Etebo of today.

Selection criteria for goal keepers are way different from those of out-field players.

A young talented forward for instance finds it a lot easier to fit into a team than a young talented goal keeper.

Amunike was not an experienced Super Eagles player in 1994. Saying he broke into the team does not make him an experienced Super Eagles player. He was not, as you put it, the regulars.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:42am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Amunike was not an experienced Super Eagles player in 1994. Saying he broke into the team does not make him an experienced Super Eagles player. He was not, as you put it, the regulars.

How do you define Experience? In ur own context.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29pm On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

How do you define Experience? In ur own context.

Experience in my own context is having a long history in the team. A player with a two years or less experience is not an experienced player.

I do not see Iheanacho, Iwobi and Ekong as experienced Super Eagles players. Omeruo? Now that is an experienced Super Eagles player.

Amunike before that game, was not in the experienced bracket.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:32pm On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Etebo is no way an experienced Super Eagles player.

Whether from Attack or keeper, we need the best in every role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:15pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not know about Emma. However, as for Alampasu, I have no doubt he is ready. All he needs is the chance.

If Courtois and De Gea were ready by the time they were 18, why not Alampasu.

It is up to Alloy Agu to show faith in the young man.

Where was Courtois and de gea at 18? Where is Alampasu?

Can we wait for him to play top flight football first?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:19pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Amunike first game was a 6:0 Thumping of Ethiopia in 1993.

At the nations cup, he only started the final.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Experience in my own context is having a long history in the team. A player with a two years or less experience is not an experienced player.

I do not see Iheanacho, Iwobi and Ekong as experienced Super Eagles players. Omeruo? Now that is an experienced Super Eagles player.

Amunike before that game, was not in the experienced bracket.

Experience in my own context goes beyond national team level. It also covers club exposure.

Based on your definition of two or less years it means some1 like Carl Ikeme is in-experienced. It seemly means we have not been seeing "experience" from the same angle.

Experience by any simple definition means continuous exposure over a period of time. Two key words there stand out: "exposure" and "time".

Taking Amuneke's case. He started playing for Concord FC in 1990 and Julius Berger in 1991 both Professional league sides. He represented Nigeria at the 1991 AAG (U23) and moved to Zamalek same year. He was invited to the Super Eagles in 1993, that AFCON you mentioned was in 1994 when he was even 24yrs old. With the level of exposure Amuneke had gotten during that period you cannot say he is green horn in football.

Omeruo joined Chelsea in 2012 and was loaned out to ADO Den Haag same year. He started playing professional football ever since. Also he joined the Super Eagles in 2013. We can also say he is relatively more experienced player than most of his age-grade in the Super Eagles because of the long (time) exposure a both club and national level.

If we get someone like Brian Idowu who started his professional career with FC Amkar Perm in 2010 how would u classify him? An experienced player or a green horn?

But I can comfortable classify Tyrone Ebuehi as a relatively inexperience player or a green horn.

In the case of Iwobi and Iheanacho, recall I highlighted two key words in the definition of experience: "EXPOSURE" and "TIME". These two have gotten so much exposure even within a short period of time. Just like also the case of Neymer.
Iwobi and Iheanacho have played and even scored in the UEFA champions league. This is a situation where a player or players have acquired first class exposure over a short period of time.

I never saw Odion Ighalo as a player that could solve our goals scoring problem because he never had a first class exposure even though he has been playing for quite some time. Recall I also mentioned here that Ighalo does not have the kind of experience to become Nigeria's next goals king. Apart from the exposure aspect, talent-wise he is not up there.

Iheanacho and Alampasu played U17 together do you think Alampasu is as experienced as Iheanacho in the game? Has Alampasu kept for a Team in the Champions league? Has he faced Barcelona, Chelsea, Manu or Arsenal strikers? He is even playing for a 3rd division Portuguese league side.

And as I always tell you, selection of out-field players especially forwards is way different from selecting a goal keeper especially for a win or burst game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:22pm On Jan 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

grin TheGoodJoe thought Amuneke broke into the team during the 1994 AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:22pm On Jan 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

Where was Courtois and de geaat 18? Where is Alampasu?

Can we wait for him to play top flight football first ?

Thanks bro..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:36pm On Jan 20, 2017
Carl Ikeme at the top of his game – Lambert

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4763979_carlikeme_jpegcbf8805607bcca5c250866517b6ea0c5
Karl Ikeme

Shina Oludare

The goalkeeper has been in fine form for Wolves this season, and his coach states that he is carrying them single-handedly through games

Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Paul Lambert hailed Carl Ikeme as a player at the height of his game ahead of their English Championship game against Norwich City.

The Nigerian has kept clean slates in club’s last three games (Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke City and Aston Villa) - and his manager feels he will play a big role in their chase for the Championship play-off spot.

“There are a lot of games to go. I don’t know what’s around the corner – it’s a cliché but we take one game at a time,” Lambert told club website.

“At this moment they’re in a good place, defensively and offensively.

“Allied with the spirit they’ve got with each other and how close they seem to be and the supporters... it’s an accumulation of everything and a multitude of things that are going really well for us.

“Carl Ikeme’s at the top of his game as well, the lads at the back with Richard (Stearman) and Danny (Batth) or Mike Williamson and Kortney Hause, or Dominic Iorfa, or Conor Coady or Matt Doherty, it’s really strong at the back.

“That’s the secret of it.”

Wolves are 16th in the Championship and are 13 points off the play-off places.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4055/main/2017/01/20/31744392/carl-ikeme-at-the-top-of-his-game-lambert?ICID=HP_HN_1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
Watford Coach Walter Mazzari Provides Update On Reports Of Ighalo’s £17m Move To West Brom – At The Moments He Will Travel With The Team

Watford boss Walter Mazzarri insists striker Odion Ighalo WILL be on the team bus on Friday as the Hornets travel to Bournemouth.

The 27 year-old was linked with a move to West Brom on Thursday in what Is understood to be a fee of around £20 million.

under Quique Sanchez Flores last season but has struggled to recapture his best form in Mazzarri’s side this term.

He has only scored twice this season in all competitions – after notching 17 last term – while the Hornets have struggled for consistency in both their starting line-up and their general Premier League form.

The Nigerian international joined the Hornets on a free transfer from Udinese in 2014 and has scored 39 goals in over 98 appearances. Twenty of those goals helped power Watford to promotion from the Championship to the top-flight in his first season and in 2015 he was English football’s leading scorer with 30 goals.

He signed a new deal with the club last summer having been a £37.5 million target from Chinese outfit Shanghai SIPG with the Baggies also trying to sign him in a player-plus-cash exchange involving Saido Berahino only for that deal to fall through.

The Hornets also turned down a £35million deadline day bid last January from Manchester United – the club Ighalo supported as a boy.

But there is a growing sense at Vicarage Road that a fresh start would suit all parties. Watford’s ruling Pozzo dynasty have also based their business model on scouring the globe for rough diamonds and sel

However on Thursday night Mazzarri played down talk of an immediate deal claiming that Ighalo would travel to the South Coast with the team as they prepare to face Bournemouth in the Premier League this Saturday.

He said ” At the moment he will travel with the team. When we have a game like this against Bournemouth I don’t want the transfer market to distract my players. They have to be focused on the colour of the Watford shirt.”

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/20/watford-coach-walter-mazzari-provides-update-on-reports-of-ighalos-17m-move-to-west-brom-at-the-moments-he-will-travel-with-the-team/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
actually i remember amunike playing for nigeria against the ivorians in the world cup qualifier in 1993. how i'm doubly sure is that amunike provided one of the assists for yekini's goals. other than that i agree 100% with your submission that players cannot be breaking any how into first based just on ''performance in training'' as you rightly said experience and exposure matter alot. on alampasu i like him alot and think he has potential but playing in portugese 3rd division is simply not good enough i would even prefer he move to a place like israel or at worst come back home and sign for an npfl side.

Icon4s:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Arsenal Don’t Need Payet, They Have Iwobi Who Could Be Like Payet In The Future- Thierry Henry

Arsenal Legend Thierry Henry believes the team presently don’t need West Ham rebel Dmitri Payet as Nigerian forward Alex Iwobi has the potential to be like the French man in a not too distant future.

Payet has gone on strike in his bid to force a move away from West Ham to Marseille but there are reports that Arsenal could step in and snatch the 29 year old who joined West Ham 18 months ago. A claim manager of Arsenal Arsene Wenger has denied.

Henry who works as pundit for Sky Sports believes Wenger is right when he said Arsenal are in no need for a player like Payet at the moment, citing Iwobi as one player who could play at same level like Payet if given time.

” I don’t think Arsenal need a player like Payet at the moment. They have Iwobi who could be like Payet in few years time, he has been good for Arsenal playing through the middle”, Henry said on Sky Sports.

” Iwobi needs games to fulfill his potentials and signing a player like Payet could limit his playing time, and it could spell doom for his development”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/20/arsenal-dont-need-payet-they-have-iwobi-who-could-be-like-payet-in-the-future-thierry-henry/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:46pm On Jan 20, 2017
Roma Details Away From Recalling Dream Team VI Ace Sadiq Umar From Loan At Bologna

Owngoalnigeria.com understands that Nigeria Rio 2016 star Sadiq Umar could return to Roma from fellow Serie A side Bologna before the end of the January transfer window as they need him as a back up forward to Edin Dzeko.

Sadiq joined Bologna on a co-ownership deal in the summer from Roma but has suffered struggled to get games due to fitness issues, as he has suffered two injury setback since joining the team. He recently underwent surgery for an ankle injury which has kept him out of their games this year.

Roma are reportedly searching for a back up to forward Edin Dzeko and Sadiq who had his breakthrough at the team last season is widely regarded by the club as a capable replacement if the Bosnian is unavailable .

However the technicalities of his proposed return is still been worked out by both teams with Bologna due some form of compensation from Roma due to the complex nature of their co-ownership arrangements.

Jololo like he is called by friends and associates was top scorer for Nigeria at the Rio 2016 Olympics where Nigeria won bronze, thanks to his brace against Honduras in the third place tie.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/20/roma-details-away-from-recalling-dream-team-vi-ace-sadiq-umar-from-loan-at-bologna/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:49pm On Jan 20, 2017
Arsenal Criticize The Transfer Of Ex-Chelsea Star Mikel To China

The transfer of Super Eagles skipper John Obi Mikel, Carlos Tevez, Oscar and Axel Witsel to the Chinese Super League in the January transfer window has been criticized by the official website of Arsenal.

Arsenal, writing on their official webpage arsenal.com, posited that the high-priced signings are not likely to develop the Super League in the short term.

“Carlos Tevez, Oscar, Axel Witsel and John Obi Mikel. These are just four international players to have made big-money moves to China during this January transfer window, ” Arsenal wrote.

“Given the level of investment in the country, more are expected to follow, but Arsène Wenger has warned the Chinese Football Association that it will take more than just high-profile signings to develop a competitive structure.”

Mikel, 29, ended his close to eleven years collaboration with Chelsea after penning a three-year contract with Tianjin Teda.

The central midfielder had been courted by teams in France, Italy and Spain before he agreed terms with Tianjin Tigers.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21777
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
on the highlighted i've watched ighalo since his u20 days he never really impressed me then so i was suprised when he arrived at watford and started scoring for fun on closer inspection he looked like someone going through a purple patch who once figured out by premiership defenders would become ordinary again sadly i've been proved right so far. that's even more reason why i'm puzzled that during our previous debates you preferred him to ideye

Icon4s:

Experience in my own context goes beyond national team level. It also covers club exposure.

Based on your definition of two or less years it means some1 like Carl Ikeme is in-experienced. It seemly means we have not been seeing "experience" from the same angle.

Experience by any simple definition means continuous exposure over a period of time. Two key words there stand out: "exposure" and "time".

Taking Amuneke's case. He started playing for Concord FC in 1990 and Julius Berger in 1991 both Professional league sides. He represented Nigeria at the 1991 AAG (U23) and moved to Zamalek same year. He was invited to the Super Eagles in 1993, that AFCON you mentioned was in 1994 when he was even 24yrs old. With the level of exposure Amuneke had gotten during that period you cannot say he is green horn in football.

Omeruo joined Chelsea in 2012 and was loaned out to ADO Den Haag same year. He started playing professional football ever since. Also he joined the Super Eagles in 2013. We can also say he is relatively more experienced player than most of his age-grade in the Super Eagles because of the long (time) exposure a both club and national level.

If we get someone like Brian Idowu who started his professional career with FC Amkar Perm in 2010 how would u classify him? An experienced player or a green horn?

But I can comfortable classify Tyrone Ebuehi as a relatively inexperience player or a green horn.

In the case of Iwobi and Iheanacho, recall I highlighted two key words in the definition of experience: "EXPOSURE" and "TIME". These two have gotten so much exposure even within a short period of time. Just like also the case of Neymer.
Iwobi and Iheanacho have played and even scored in the UEFA champions league. This is a situation where a player or players have acquired first class exposure over a short period of time.

I never saw Odion Ighalo as a player that could solve our goals scoring problem because he never had a first class exposure even though he has been playing for quite some time. Recall I also mentioned here that Ighalo does not have the kind of experience to become Nigeria's next goals king. Apart from the exposure aspect, talent-wise he is not up there.

Iheanacho and Alampasu played U17 together do you think Alampasu is as experienced as Iheanacho in the game? Has Alampasu kept for a Team in the Champions league? Has he faced Barcelona, Chelsea, Manu or Arsenal strikers? He is even playing for a 3rd division Portuguese league side.

And as I always tell you, selection of out-field players especially forwards is way different from selecting a goal keeper especially for a win or burst game.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

grin TheGoodJoe thought Amuneke broke into the team during the 1994 AFCON.

Amunike was not an experienced Super Eagles player at the AFCON. Neither was he a regular.

I did not watch him in any Super Eagles game before that. I was not someone who followed the qualifiers. Either way, he was not experienced or a regular and he started such an important game.

My point remains. We need the best, not experience.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:57pm On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

You are mixing your points. I bet in recent years, Alampasu has commanded more game time than Iheanacho. However, I believe many will see Iheanacho as a good choice is see Alampasu as a risky choice.

That is my point. I used vague a while ago. Running in the line of experience and club rank, position is not accurate.

The best way is to keep in mind of hunting down the best in each role. If you find for instance, the best goalkeeper that can represent the country, it will be hard finding a better keeper. That is where you get the longevity in that position.

By the way, 1993 qualifiers to January 1994 World Cup is no way experience with the team. If it is based on longevity on clubs, Iheanacho and Iwobi should sit on the bench.

It is about finding the best. Keep experience valuation aside.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

So he was not an experienced Super Eagles player. Thanks for the info. Do you know the month the game was played and did Emmanuel Amunike start the game?

Okay. I remember that match. My memory is not clear. Is that the match Yekini scored a long range free kick?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
See as joseph1013 and lakesidepapa dey set 60k on top Senegal when people never see food chop cry

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

Where was Courtois and de gea at 18? Where is Alampasu?

Can we wait for him to play top flight football first?

Courtois and De Gea were doing well at 18 because coaches believed in their abilities and gave them a chance.

However, if for instance, Alampasu is the Super Eagles no. 1 goalie, clubs and coaches will have the motivation to try him.

It is about the platform to show what you can do. That is why I will support searching for the best. Courtois, De Gea, Cassilas got to where they reached at their young ages because of someone not looking at their ages but their abilities. We need to develop that culture of giving our best players the right push at a young age.

The clubs can not do this easily for us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Courtois and De Gea were doing well at 18 because coaches believed in their abilities and gave them a chance.

However, if for instance, Alampasu is the Super Eagles no. 1 goalie, clubs and coaches will have the motivation to try him.

It is about the platform to show what you can do. That is why I will support searching for the best. Courtois, De Gea, Cassilas got to where they reached at their young ages because of someone not looking at their ages but their abilities. We need to develop that culture of giving our best players the right push at a young age.

The clubs can not do this easily for us.
Mr Joe, its not done that way, club have to believe in a player first before country Courtois and Degea had to play top flight football(not div 3) for more than two yrs before their various country start to consider them for reserve(not even 1st choice)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:26pm On Jan 20, 2017
safarigirl:
See as joseph1013 and lakesidepapa dey set 60k on top Senegal when people never see food chop cry
I hereby solemnly declare to donate 50% of whatever I win in this transaction to anyone in need. The said person to be chosen by safarigirl. Fair enough?

This is too good a deal to turn down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:31pm On Jan 20, 2017
zicky:
Mr Joe, its not done that way, club have to believe in a player first before country Courtois and Degea had to play top flight football(not div 3) for more than two yrs before their various country start to consider them for reserve(not even 1st choice)

The point is better. Cassilas became the National keeper when it was clear he was the best. Not experience.

Canizares had more experience but Casillas was better. Just like now, De Gea is the best. Not Valdes or Reina or any young Spanish keeper. Adrian, Asenjo etc.

Think Best. In clubs to country, it is a search for the best.

When we think in that perspective, we scrutinize better. When a coach is not sure who is the best, he needs to scrutinize them closely in training and make up his mind who is the best.

Nigeria believed in Oliseh before top clubs did. Sometimes, the country takes the lead. Africans have a tough time getting clubs to give them a chance to prove themselves. Look at how Girona treated Chidi Nwakali. Left him on bench all through the time he was there despite his top quality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 4:32pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

So he was not an experienced Super Eagles player. Thanks for the info. Do you know the month the game was played and did Emmanuel Amunike start the game?

Okay. I remember that match. My memory is not clear. Is that the match Yekini scored a long range free kick?

Amuneke's first match i remember was in a 4-0 victory over Sudan in April 93. 1993 Matches as I remember them:

1. AFCON qualifier against Sudan (90 mins action for Amuneke)
2. WC qualifier against IVC in Abidjan (Amuneke featured, but not sure if he started)
3. WC qualifier against Algeria in Lagoa (90mins for Amuneke)
4. AFCON qualifier against Uganda in Kampala (90 Mins for Amuneke)
5. AFCON against Ethiopia in Lagos (90 mins and MOTM performance)
6. WC against IVC in Lagos (came in for okocha in the 2nd half)
7. WC qualifier ALG in Teslem (Started the game but I think got injured)

Amuneke was an integral part of the team but we had so much stars in 94 that he didn't get to start until the finals. Even Finidi didnt taste action until the group stages.

Also, we had 2 teams in 1993. The foreign based professionals prosecuted the WC qualifiers while the AFCON qualifiers were predominantly prosecuted by home based and untested foreign based players. Amuneke was the one player who featured regularly in both.

Nigerian football was so strong. Rufai was even part of team B and Oliseh didn't even get to play in the WCQ
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:33pm On Jan 20, 2017
joseph1013:

I hereby solemnly declare to donate 50% of whatever I win in this transaction to anyone in need. The said person to be chosen by safarigirl. Fair enough?

This is too good a deal to turn down.

I disagree. safarigirl keeps the fifty percent Bounty and does what she wants with it. Better deal for me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) ... (16376) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ginistev, typicalgamer(m), TheGoodJoe(m), 0zymandias, Iview1, Giv3n, Odunayaw(m), daveP(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.